PDA

View Full Version : Why are our crosses directed towards Plata?

C.Ronaldo
04-24-2012, 12:33 PM
Anyone but me notice he is 5 ft tall and will never win a header?

But yet we keep firing it in from out wide hoping for a miracle.

Plata is always up and johnson sitting back at the top of the box.

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :facepalm:

Nuvinho
04-24-2012, 12:35 PM
I always scream that from my seat.

I also scream, pass it to midget!! run midget run!

Fort York Redcoat
04-24-2012, 12:37 PM
I noticed that more than once. I also notice Ryan Johnson getting pushed off those balls coming in and Plata is the one behind him so Yes I've seen it but not nearly most of them are actually to Plata.

Blakfish
04-24-2012, 12:39 PM
Kocic is constantly hoofing the ball up field to Plata as well, expecting him to win it in the air. The lads have to learn to play it into space. Eckersley is always making space on the right wing and it would be far more effective to just pass it and play it upfield from a goal kick. Long ball football is incredibly unattractive, boring to watch, and is horrendously inefficient.

C.Ronaldo
04-24-2012, 12:39 PM
i prefer mighty mouse, but I get your point

Plata = run with ball
Everyone else = run to ball in air

I always scream that from my seat.

I also scream, pass it to midget!! run midget run!

starter
04-24-2012, 01:05 PM

Did not he scored a header in CCL away at SL? :)

ExiledRed
04-24-2012, 01:23 PM
I did a double take when he scored with his head off a corner in the CL.

admittedly he wasnt the first to connect to the delivery.

Plata's awesome, I hope we keep him whatever happens.

PopePouri
04-24-2012, 01:37 PM

Plata is always up and johnson sitting back at the top of the box.

According to Johnson, "Nobody canna cross it".

http://youtu.be/dL9vdTmvhGw (http://youtu.be/hknVoAoyy-k)

C.Ronaldo
04-24-2012, 03:33 PM

thats another topic of disucssion

ExiledRed
04-24-2012, 03:38 PM

awesome. thanks for that!

Parkdale
04-24-2012, 03:53 PM
the bus can't swim!

ExiledRed
04-24-2012, 03:57 PM
we should make a chant out of that

RealG-TFC
04-24-2012, 04:48 PM
I cannot stop watching that video!

ensco
04-24-2012, 07:10 PM
Did you catch this version? Also outstanding

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w92ffOukgc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Island Man
04-24-2012, 07:41 PM
i think the question should "Why is Plata still playing!?"

jazzy
04-24-2012, 08:27 PM
as least why is he playing 90 minutes, when he is clearly being figured out and definitely not a threat in the air

narduch
04-24-2012, 08:48 PM
A bigger question might be: why does a team that claims to play a possession oriented passing on the ground game lead the league in crosses?

arbogast
04-24-2012, 08:55 PM
Agreed.
He dribbles him self in to trouble then loses possession far too often - that is if he isn't knocked off the ball entirely. I'd rather see Soolsma take his starting role.

ensco
04-24-2012, 09:07 PM
Seriously?

Some people here need to have another look at the first half highlights of the game in Mexico. We need more options at forward, but the little fella can play real minutes for any team in MLS.

burlington Red
04-24-2012, 10:11 PM
Plata has been a huge disapointment this season.If it weren't for Harden, JDG and Dunefield being so inept, I believe Plata would be getting much more criticism levelled at him than he has. One decent game in Mexico isn't good enough at his level, we're 0-6 in league. The team obviously isn't playing well, and that doesn't help the wee man, but in games last season he was flying by people. I have seen him try this countless time this season unsuccessfully, and defenders seem to have his card marked now. You always get a free first season as no-one knows you, always tougher the 2nd season when players now what to expect. Not to be hard on him as I do like him as a player and I believe he does have the ability needed to ultimately turn his season around. I think a steady midfield would defo help him, which is why it is imperative that Frings is now deployed soley in that role.

123 elite
04-24-2012, 10:27 PM
No you are all wrong. We play 4 3 3, cleverly moving the ball through midfield on the ground from the back eventually realeasing Plata or Lambe or whoever slots into those roles on a particular day, and they feed the ball into either Koev or Johnson and we score lots of goals from them or the supporting cast of attacking midfielders who move in like a well oiled machine. We do not take the ball from Kocic, aimlessly pass it round the back then hoof it up for Plata to run onto for him to, on maybe 30-40% of the times, get it and wildly cross into the box or over the box. If you are seeing this you are clearly nuts because we play a 4 3 3 system that is attractive to watch.

Cashcleaner
04-25-2012, 02:32 AM
Plata works great if it's left out on the wings, drawing defenders away and letting scoring opportunities arise where his agility gives him an advantage. What he's doing in the middle of the box trying to receive a cross surrounded by guys twice his size is an excellent question, indeed.

Plata is another talented player on this team who just isn't utilized properly.

ensco
04-25-2012, 05:52 AM
No you are all wrong. We play 4 3 3, cleverly moving the ball through midfield on the ground from the back eventually realeasing Plata or Lambe or whoever slots into those roles on a particular day, and they feed the ball into either Koev or Johnson and we score lots of goals from them or the supporting cast of attacking midfielders who move in like a well oiled machine. We do not take the ball from Kocic, aimlessly pass it round the back then hoof it up for Plata to run onto for him to, on maybe 30-40% of the times, get it and wildly cross into the box or over the box. If you are seeing this you are clearly nuts because we play a 4 3 3 system that is attractive to watch.

You missed the part where rose petals spontaneously float on to the pitch from the sky during our games

Fort York Redcoat
04-25-2012, 06:46 AM
Plata works great if it's left out on the wings, drawing defenders away and letting scoring opportunities arise where his agility gives him an advantage. What he's doing in the middle of the box trying to receive a cross surrounded by guys twice his size is an excellent question, indeed.

Plata is another talented player on this team who just isn't utilized properly.

I still think that crossing to Plata is not a real strategy.

I've got frustrated with him holding the ball that second too long on the 18. It gives defenders time to plant. I'd take a couple more balls going wide if they're taken on run.

C.Ronaldo
04-25-2012, 10:09 AM
plata can pay up high (he has a decent shot aswell) in the middle and slot passes through or he can play wide and cross them in, but he should not be playing deep into the box looking for headers.

Hell Id rather he wait 3 feet way, not jump, and try to the steal the ball from teh defender receving a the header

pekduck
04-25-2012, 10:27 AM
Seriously?

Some people here need to have another look at the first half highlights of the game in Mexico. We need more options at forward, but the little fella can play real minutes for any team in MLS.

depending on the team and league. mexican leagues doesn't often deploy a high tempo pressure game due to sea elevation, plata has time to showcase his skills. MLS is a physical league and often apply strong pressure and challenges each pass/receive/header with bodies. plata gets pushed over more than not, when he has the space, he's effective, but he can't battle for it.

our team has traditionally performed well against teams that doesn't press as hard since our midfield will not be completely exposed as lack urgency, lack vision, and lack focus. when we play in mls, our midfield and backline are always been challenged and can't hold on to their own, causing turnovers, lapses in defense and serving up goals...

dunno, that's what i feel at the moment...

adam1001
04-25-2012, 10:55 AM
Plata or not, the problem is that our forwards don't have a clue about where to stand or what to do in in the box. They do not even attempt to get into open spaces and just stand still expecting the "perfect" cross.

Obviously, that's no excuse for our abysmal crossing, but at least move around off the ball and actually make yourself available for the wingers.

Roogsy
04-25-2012, 11:01 AM
Plata or not, the problem is that our forwards don't have a clue about where to stand or what to do in in the box. They do not even attempt to get into open spaces and just stand still expecting the "perfect" cross.

Obviously, that's no excuse for our abysmal crossing, but at least move around off the ball and actually make yourself available for the wingers.

The movement is very irregular. Sometimes, they are aware enough to move into space. Other times they seem unsure what to do.

That is where DK has shown to be most effective. I don't think I have ever seen a TFC player with better positioning. It's actually really fun to watch because you hope his fellow players understand what he is doing. Sometimes they do, but often times they don't see his brilliance and fail to take advantage.

Must be frustrating.

If we had a true, quality AM, Danny would have scored multiple times already.

TFCwestcan
04-25-2012, 02:01 PM
Plata is due for a goal, then again a few guys on this team are due for goals...

ensco
04-25-2012, 07:19 PM
Clifton is a star, mon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3-SwFFhoAY&feature=youtube_gdata_player