PDA

View Full Version : Help from within the MLS?

Nuvinho
04-22-2012, 05:39 PM
I am watching the NYRB/DCU game and it seems that the NYRB have a few players out of favour with Hans Backe. One of course is their DP Marquez who is suspended for 3 games and the other is AM Joel Lindpere. Marquez has sucked so far in MLS, but you never know in a difference situation he may actually do well.

Now we just need to convince the NYRB's to take JDG :)

Are there any other cast-aways (wrong place, wrong time) in the MLS who could help us?

Detroit_TFC
04-22-2012, 06:17 PM
JDG for Marquez? I would make that trade, no hesitation. In fact that's good business for both TFC and RBNY.

Danny Califf is probably on his way out from Philly. He's be a good pick up for us too.

Nuvinho
04-22-2012, 07:06 PM
^ NYRB get rid of a bigger and longer contract. Allows them to get in another DP sooner.

Califf would be good, we'd have to give up one of our younger guys or a draft pick.

BayernTFC
04-23-2012, 10:57 AM
I just don't think that TFC will find answers to their problems in central defense from within MLS. A quick study of other MLS squads shows that most teams employ 4 natural CBs. A starter and a back-up for each position. The teams with more than 4 CBs mostly have young players who will need time to gain experience. Something TFC can ill afford and, besides, we already have suitable prospects. PU only have two central defenders and a RB whose secondary position is in central defense. Califf is their captain. In a trade, Philadelphia would likely ask for a starter, prospect and draft pick. Who would Philadelphia want form our roster? Would Califf be a fit for Toronto? How fast is he? How well does he handle the ball? He's 32 and right-footed. Could TFC and PU make the math work?

sashavukelich
04-23-2012, 03:26 PM
TFC has under utilized the Vast American Player market that MLS offers them. We have 3 TRULY American Players
1) Eric Avila, 2) Ryan Johnson (plays for Jamaica) and 3) Luis Silva

Alan Gordon, Sam Cronin, Todd Dunivant, Connor Casey (whom i loathe), etc etc....we've mistraded so much american talent it's disgusting. I'm with those of you who think we can solve our team problems from within the MLS.

Stryker
04-23-2012, 03:30 PM
Danny Califf is probably on his way out from Philly. He's be a good pick up for us too.
Really? He'd be an awesome coupe for us. I think him and Frings could really put a hurt on opposing attackers. Both literally and figuratively

Juanito
04-23-2012, 03:32 PM
The revolving door of players have really hurt us. Players need some guidance from the gaffer and when our managerial attitudes have been to ship out players, we can never have any consistency.

TFCBarrie
04-23-2012, 03:52 PM
TFC has under utilized the Vast American Player market that MLS offers them. We have 3 TRULY American Players

Alan Gordon, Sam Cronin, Todd Dunivant, Connor Casey (whom i loathe), etc etc....we've mistraded so much american talent it's disgusting. I'm with those of you who think we can solve our team problems from within the MLS.

I would rather lose than have anything more than the minimum amount of Americans on our team.

UltraFootyKWC
04-23-2012, 04:05 PM
^ In a league where teams are handcuffed by a slary cap and all kinds of roster restrictions, these Americans are just the kind of "serviceable" players we need to fill in our roster.

I would have to agree that we need a proven MLS CB, not these South Americans that can't keep up with the pace or physicality of the league.

MartinUtd
04-23-2012, 04:07 PM
I would rather lose than have anything more than the minimum amount of Americans on our team.

haha..wow. I'm no fan of the US, but that's just completely irrational.

Anyway, back to the Rafa for JDG. It's a bad idea. We don't need another over paid midfielder who doesn't give a shit.

jabbronies
04-23-2012, 04:11 PM

Just to be clear Connor Casey didn't want to play here and Alan Gordan trade brought us Ryan Johnson. So bad examples there.

The previous Management did mismanage players in the past, no question about that. But where dis that mismanaged talent come from? Mainly the draft or we had to give up our shirts for the players.

Sam Cronin was drafted through the MLS Draft as was Luis Silva and Joao Plata, Frei
Eric Avila was a rookie sitting on the bench, not proven and not being given any regular playing time when we picked him up and had to let go of Maicon Santos for him!.

If we are to pick up players who are ready to step in and make an impact, we will need to give up something for it.
We do not need more young, unproven talent that we have to develop, we already have a ton of that (Avila, Morgan, Plata, Silva, Stinson, Henry, Lambe, Maund, Cordon) - we are already doing that.

So now the question is, who do you give up in order to get what is needed? and on that note - What is really needed knowing we will loose someone big - a.k.a. not Ty Harden?

sashavukelich
04-23-2012, 05:01 PM

Well you've certainly got your wish. I've been a TFC STH since day one (section 114). American players are NOT the enemy here in Toronto, i'd say. We NEED good solid american players to add depth to our roster

Couchy81
04-23-2012, 05:31 PM

I would rather win than have anything to do with minimum and maximum nationality caps. What's next, requiring a french speaking coach?

Abou Sky
04-23-2012, 06:21 PM
The revolving door of players have really hurt us. Players need some guidance from the gaffer and when our managerial attitudes have been to ship out players, we can never have any consistency.

No shit!!!

If I were in charge I would walk into the locker room with 5+ year contracts for anyone under 25 and say 'you are our team, this is your home, we are going to win together'

If you are going to start from scratch give the young guys playing time, even if they screw up, play them next game until they are GREAT.

Get Henry, Aceval and Cann at the back and let Henry learn. Even if it is 30 mins a match stop messing with the lineups. SCF1908's son (now banned) and my boy are DANGEROUS together (as dangerous as 8 year olds can be) they play well with other kids but together they score a ton, you need familiarity.

Get Stinson, Silva, Avila, Plata and Lambe together all the time with Frings in there teaching.

Let Johnson run loose, stop holding him back, horses need to run!

I am at a loss at this point, if we are going to lose fine, but at least let our boys learn from it and let them know we have confidence in them!

No joke, I was at a tourney this weekend and watched U13's play on the pitch beside us and it was more entertaining than most TFC games.

Abou Sky
04-23-2012, 06:24 PM

With all due respect; that attitude is what gave some genius the idea to sign JDG.

I don't care where you're from, what colour you are, who you fuck or what religion you are, if you can play, 'ave at it!

ExiledRed
04-23-2012, 06:26 PM

Im sick of this selfish attitude that people would rather see us losing than playing a certain way, or having a coach from britain, or utilising north american players, or whatever.

If were winning games and reaching the playoffs, with a british coach utilising a formation that isnt 4-3-3, with a core group of north american players, that would be AWESOME.

But youd rather be losing because "you dont like it that way."

What does that say about your support?

Abou Sky
04-23-2012, 06:31 PM
Im sick of this selfish attitude that people would rather see us losing than playing a certain way, or having a coach from britain, or utilising north american players, or whatever.

If were winning games and reaching the playoffs, with a british coach utilising a formation that isnt 4-3-3, with a core group of north american players, that would be AWESOME.

But youd rather be losing because "you dont like it that way."

What does that say about your support?

I would add that personally I would rather lose with TFC than win with someone else. But not really the same thing.

ExiledRed
04-23-2012, 06:38 PM
I would add that personally I would rather lose with TFC than win with someone else. But not really the same thing.

I just want to be proud of this team. thats all.

When Liverpool come this year, A lot of people I love very dearly are all of a sudden going to become quite interested in 'Ian over in Canada.' and the team he's constantly harping about on facebook.

I want to show off, not be embarassed, thats all.

Huyton
04-23-2012, 07:34 PM
I just want to be proud of this team. thats all.

When Liverpool come this year, A lot of people I love very dearly are all of a sudden going to become quite interested in 'Ian over in Canada.' and the team he's constantly harping about on facebook.

I want to show off, not be embarassed, thats all.

That was one of the things l loved about the CCL semi-final...every other soccer fan in Canada and the US wanted to be where we were.

Anyway, don't worry...you'll have a lot to show off...Toronto is a good place to visit. And they'll probably enjoy themselves at Skydome.

Nuvinho
04-24-2012, 10:29 AM
Another guy who has been hurt, but when back probably won't see alot of playing time in DC is Dejan Jakovic.

Also, don't forget, TFC has a HUGE asset, that alot of U.S. based teams would love - the 1st overall pick in next year's MLS Superdraft.

Nuvinho
04-24-2012, 10:37 AM
This will never happen, but I would offer this to Philly:

Danny Califf (Philly pays most of his salary) for a first round pick

Then see if DCU needs an international spot:

Harden, 2nd round pick, and international spot for Dejan Jakovic
(we may not rate Harden, but he is a serviceable MLS player to some teams)

Since we have the academy, TFC will probably rely less on the Superdraft

Detroit_TFC
04-24-2012, 12:15 PM
^ I'm more and more convinced that TFC FO should make a can't-refuse-this offer for Danny Califf. If we can find an even bigger prick CB in the league, get that guy too. We need some fear factor, quick.