PDA

View Full Version : Guzan leaves chivas usa for Aston villa

TK88
07-12-2008, 08:35 AM
Villa agree Guzan deal

Keeper finally set to complete move to Premier League

Last updated: 12th July 2008

Aston Villa have agreed a fee to sign American goalkeeper Brad Guzan from Chivas USA.
Guzan has been a long-term target for Martin O'Neill and was close to a move to Villa Park in January.
However, the 24-year-old was denied a work permit and the transfer was put on hold until the summer.
O'Neill has now gone back in for the USA international, who was previously a target for the Villa manager's former club Celtic.
The shot-stopper made his final appearance for Chivas against Los Angeles Galaxy earlier in the week and hinted at his impending move to the Premier League.
Unbelievable

"It's been absolutely unbelievable," Guzan told ESPN.
"Obviously being able to stay at a club for three-and-a-half years, learning and growing as a player, as a person.
"I've been very thankful for Chivas USA and everything they've done for me. And obviously the league has made tremendous strides, and hopefully it'll keep going in the right direction."
Villa had been in the market for a keeper after Scott Carson returned to Liverpool and Thomas Sorensen was released.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3809460,00.html

CoachGT
07-12-2008, 08:55 AM
I watched the Chivas/LA game on Thursday night. The announcers talked about this all night long - it was just speculation then.

Another biased play-by-play crew (ESPN2) - it is pretty obvious that the league is trying to showcase LA. The Galaxy could seemingly do no wrong - even though they were heavily outplayed. The result was generous to them.

Razcle
07-12-2008, 09:11 AM
Obviously anytime that a solid player leaves for the primere europe leagues, its a sad day interm of the quality of the MLS but it is also a proud day as if he shines, it will bring more exposure to this league.

I don't really care a heck of a lot though. But this is how I know anything about the Dutch league...by all the players that they have cranked out and sent to bigger and better things.

ExiledRed
07-12-2008, 09:42 AM
Obviously anytime that a solid player leaves for the primere europe leagues, its a sad day interm of the quality of the MLS but it is also a proud day as if he shines, it will bring more exposure to this league.

I don't really care a heck of a lot though. But this is how I know anything about the Dutch league...by all the players that they have cranked out and sent to bigger and better things.

In many ways though it brings positive exposure to the league.

Back in the eighties, I was only aware of the Vancouver Whitecaps because of Bruce Grobelaar, otherwise I'd have had no idea that canadians even played soccer at the time.

I think the import/export ratio will even out over time as the better players that come from this league win us more credibility abroad.

Dirk Diggler
07-12-2008, 11:38 AM
Another American goalkeeping export to the Prem. I wonder why they keep on churning some great goalkeepers where as their outfield players seem a bit behind the world standard.