PDA

View Full Version : Torsten Frings Interview

jabbronies
04-21-2012, 10:41 PM
I'm posting this because this is probably one of the first post game interviews Frings has ever given:
http://www.torontofc.ca/video/2012/04/21/torsten-frings-april-21-2012

Finally we hear what the captain has to say!

trane
04-22-2012, 07:55 AM
^ I believe in him as our leader. He speaks openly, cares and makes not excuses.

Jack
04-22-2012, 09:06 AM
I wish we had a couple more of him.

Yohan
04-22-2012, 09:22 AM
Frings, dichio and robbo. Le sigh

Parkdale
04-22-2012, 09:28 AM
I wish we had a couple more of him.

you are dreaming about a team of Torsten Frings?

Jack
04-22-2012, 09:42 AM
Well, he was the oldest guy out there for us yesterday, yet he seemed to have the most energy.

rocktml
04-22-2012, 10:45 AM
Why is it thou he doesnt do any on camera interviews?

Roogsy
04-22-2012, 10:56 AM
I was thinking yesterday what a shame it is his talents are being wasted here. I bet he's beginning to regret this move instead of Dubai or something.

Canary10
04-22-2012, 10:59 AM
I was thinking yesterday what a shame it is his talents are being wasted here. I bet he's beginning to regret this move instead of Dubai or something.

Will he stick around for another year I wonder?

Kooper
04-22-2012, 12:16 PM
Well, he was the oldest guy out there for us yesterday, yet he seemed to have the most energy.

Especially when he moved forward and tried to score the winner. Cathal Kelly (Don't worry I won't link to him.) asked Frings and Winter who's idea it was to push Frings forward. Frings said he did it without asking the coach and Winter tried to save face and say he gave the order.

If that is the case then Winter has possibly lost the dressing room. If that is the case he will likely lose his job in the near future.

Jack
04-22-2012, 05:17 PM
It was actually very frustrating to watch Frings do all that he could to try to lift this team onto his shoulders and have that bullet skid just wide. There are a lot of players who could learn from watching a guy who's been in the World Cup and who's won the Bundesliga bust his balls to try and get a win for Toronto FC. He is a true professional and it's sad that we seem to be wasting his time here by being horrible :(

Code Red
04-22-2012, 05:52 PM
Especially when he moved forward and tried to score the winner. Cathal Kelly (Don't worry I won't link to him.) asked Frings and Winter who's idea it was to push Frings forward. Frings said he did it without asking the coach and Winter tried to save face and say he gave the order.

If that is the case then Winter has possibly lost the dressing room. If that is the case he will likely lose his job in the near future.

Interesting.

Coupled with the JDG disconnect, another mid-season of drama could be brewing. Nothing surprises me anymore.

Kilgore Trout
04-22-2012, 06:36 PM
you are dreaming about a team of Torsten Frings?

Fringses?

That is not going to work.

Kilgore Trout
04-22-2012, 06:41 PM

He's just recently commented on loving the city and lifestyle and also relative anonymity.

I really doubt he would have enjoyed Qatar or the UAE as much. And he wouldn't have had relative anonymity of any sort. He'd be mobbed by drunk Englishmen and rich Arabs at expatriate bars and clubs, and mobbed by locals playing football on the beach if he tried to take a walk there. I've lived in that part of the world; my parents taught at colleges there. The starfucking culture is unbelievably bad. So bad that if they don't have real stars they pick an average person and make them into one. The obsession with material and status is out of control. It's to capitalism what the USSR was to communism.

And that's ignoring Frings' apparent cultural/musical interests and personality, which are completely out of sync with anything you can find over there. I don't think he's regretting his move but I don't doubt he's not a fan of the club right now. But I don't think he really moved here for the opportunity to play for Toronto FC, do you?

scrotzy
04-24-2012, 09:37 AM
I sat in front of him and his wife at a leafs game and got my picture with him and he was definately a little taken back . But at least noone else in our section even had any idea as to who he is. Kind of sad really. And not to be a stickler but he was dropping his own money on concessions which I was appauled to see. How does MLSE let the capitain not get comp'd at another one of their teams games.

ginkster88
04-24-2012, 09:41 AM

Actually that article was very well written and probably the most appropriate treatment of this club from everything published the last few weeks.

Takes the manager to task, unlike the lobotomized dribble from every other source.

Auzzy
04-24-2012, 09:42 AM
I sat in front of him and his wife at a leafs game and got my picture with him and he was definately a little taken back . But at least noone else in our section even had any idea as to who he is. Kind of sad really. And not to be a stickler but he was dropping his own money on concessions which I was appauled to see. How does MLSE let the capitain not get comp'd at another one of their teams games.

Frings wants to be as anonymous as possible in Toronto. That's what he loves the most about being here. The fact that he can sit (almost) unknown at a Leafs game with his wife, as just another member of the crowd, would not make him even the tiniest bit sad -- actually the opposite. He wants to go and buy the food & drink that he wants, when he wants it. He doesn't want to sit in some suite with suits and get served who knows what kinda fancy stuff for free. (He has do that anyway on enough days of the year.)

Auzzy
04-24-2012, 09:59 AM
I chatted with Frings (in German) at the last end-of-the-year event near BMO Field. I joked about not everyone knowing him here in Toronto, isn't that sad. As he's mentioned in every interview, he said no not at all, not even as a joke, that's what he likes most here.

Torsten is tough & a leader on the field, but shy in big crowds, and has never liked the media & celebrity hype, even in Germany. Of course it was part of the job there, but he's very happy to have less of it here. The shyness & lack of interest in celebrity hype is also why he waited for a while to do interviews in English -- he wanted to feel more comfortable in the language & the surroundings first. His English was always decent, better than some others who give interviews, but he just didn't feel comfortable yet. And from his history in Germany, he knows that if you're not extremely careful in what you say, little tidbits of conversation are taken out of context, blown up, twisted & turned to make whatever point a journalist wants to make...........................................

When he's not working, Torsten wants to be a regular Joe with his young family. If I sat near him at a Leafs game or other event where he's not working, I would probably ignore him until the event is over. If there's an occasion at the end, just give him the thumbs-up, "We're so happy to have you here, good luck" and otherwise leave him alone with autographs, pictures & the rest. But that's just me. ;)

Fort York Redcoat
04-24-2012, 10:00 AM
He's just recently commented on loving the city and lifestyle and also relative anonymity.

I really doubt he would have enjoyed Qatar or the UAE as much. And he wouldn't have had relative anonymity of any sort. He'd be mobbed by drunk Englishmen and rich Arabs at expatriate bars and clubs, and mobbed by locals playing football on the beach if he tried to take a walk there. I've lived in that part of the world; my parents taught at colleges there. The starfucking culture is unbelievably bad. So bad that if they don't have real stars they pick an average person and make them into one. The obsession with material and status is out of control. It's to capitalism what the USSR was to communism.

And that's ignoring Frings' apparent cultural/musical interests and personality, which are completely out of sync with anything you can find over there. I don't think he's regretting his move but I don't doubt he's not a fan of the club right now. But I don't think he really moved here for the opportunity to play for Toronto FC, do you?

Thanks for the insight on the area. Interesting.:thumbsup: