PDA

View Full Version : Why TFC?

Abou Sky
04-21-2012, 07:57 PM
I am wondering why you all have your allegiance to TFC?

If you go to a Jays/Leafs/Raptors game a lot of people have the opposition jerseys on, you don't see much of that at TFC games. Why?

Why do you support TFC instead of NYRB or RSL or ???

This is in NO WAY disparaging TFC or it's supporters, I am just curious.

For me it is about supporting Canadian soccer, and supporting my home town boys. I would love to one day see 75% of our roster be local boys through the academy.

I also love the fans, who stick with it through everything. Who support like mad, and are generally a bunch of great people.

Thanks to all!

Roogsy
04-21-2012, 07:58 PM
I think I know who that Jennifer Robson person was talking about.

billyfly
04-21-2012, 08:00 PM
No offense Sky but I chuckle when new guys on this forum bring up topics that have been discussed over and over again.

Jack
04-21-2012, 08:00 PM
I was born and raised in Toronto. A team that bears the name of my city gets my support. But if that team shows, within a few years of its inception, that they take that support for granted, then they are going to lose it.

billyfly
04-21-2012, 08:05 PM
I was born and raised in Toronto. A team that bears the name of my city gets my support. But if that team shows, within a few years of its inception, that they take that support for granted, then they are going to lose it.

BINGO and STRONGLY AGREE.

Redpunkfiddle
04-21-2012, 09:13 PM
No offense Sky but I chuckle when new guys on this forum bring up topics that have been discussed over and over again.

Funny, I don't remember discussing why I don't support Red Bull New York. How refreshing.

billyfly
04-21-2012, 09:21 PM
Then you should read more I guess. I can point you to several threads if u like.

But if you think that it's Sky's EXACT point why people aren't supporting NYRB, go with it....lol

Whoop
04-21-2012, 09:25 PM
BINGO and STRONGLY AGREE.

Really? I thought through thick and thin?

billyfly
04-21-2012, 09:30 PM

Of course thru thick and thin. Am I not at BMO basically every game? Watching every Leaf game?

Am I buying TFC gear? No. Am I buying Leaf gear? No. Buying beer? No.

Am I losing fervor for the team? Yes.

Whoop
04-21-2012, 09:32 PM
So when you lose the fervor, do you stop watching the sport?

Though in MLS's case I don't think people will change allegiances to another club just because it's easier to "go back" to their former "old country" team.

billyfly
04-21-2012, 09:35 PM
So when you lose the fervor, do you stop watching the sport?

Though in MLS's case I don't think people will change allegiances to another club just because it's easier to "go back" to their former "old country" team.

Yeah and this is what I meant when I said this convo has been had before.

Whats the diff here with TFc and the Leafs? It's that there isn't enough interest in soccer or the history of the sport is different that you won't have guys supporting NYRB or LAG, they just stop watching MLS.

In the case of hockey, you have Bruins fans and Capitals fans etc

Whoop
04-21-2012, 09:38 PM
So you agree with Jack, but disagree with those who are fans of other teams when those decisions were made as children?

billyfly
04-21-2012, 09:42 PM
So you agree with Jack, but disagree with those who are fans of other teams when those decisions were made as children?

Yes I disagree with your decision as a child. The big bad Leafs hurt Vic's feelings by losing too much.

Whoop
04-21-2012, 09:44 PM
Didn't even know who the Leafs were as a child.

But that's beside the point.

In the case of TFC, they were the first team started in Toronto when I was adult and for the first time there was a soccer team - in the highest professional league in NA - that I could support.

I think that's why most people support TFC, and not other MLS teams, when compared to NHL/MLB and to lesser extent NBA.

billyfly
04-21-2012, 09:48 PM
So u decided to support another hockey team in the days when basically there was only 1team on our TVs?

billyfly
04-21-2012, 09:49 PM
See what you did Sky? Here I go again.

freakin new users.

narduch
04-21-2012, 09:54 PM
Has 'sky' asked for sponsorship money for his kids soccer team yet?

ensco
04-21-2012, 10:35 PM
Right. Cuz it's really common for people who have a team in a professional league to just decide to cheer for teams in other cities in that league.

jabbronies
04-21-2012, 11:02 PM
Right. Cuz it's really common for people who have a team in a professional league to just decide to cheer for teams in other cities in that league.

This

kodiakTFC
04-21-2012, 11:11 PM
I feel as though this trend of sporting other teams doesn't really occur in soccer. There aren't many Manchester United fans in Liverpool either. There seems to be far more loyalty in soccer but with that said there are some Galaxy fans here and there.

I'm a Jays, Leafs, and TFC fan and if I liked basketball I'd be a Raptors fan as well. I don't understand being fans of other cities. I have friends who are Aves and Wings fans.... THEY'VE NEVER EVEN BEEN TO THESE CITIES!?

Cashcleaner
04-21-2012, 11:12 PM

I have to echo Jack's sentiment here. I will cheer for pretty much any Toronto team because it represents the city and region where I live. The Leafs are a notable exception to this, again, partly because of what Jack said.

The thing is, I don't really think there are many bad reasons to follow one particular club over another, though I agree that liking a team simply because they are successful at the right time is classless.

Juanito
04-21-2012, 11:15 PM
See what you did Sky? Here I go again.

freakin new users.

Your posts are refreshing Billy.

Cashcleaner
04-21-2012, 11:22 PM
I feel as though this trend of sporting other teams doesn't really occur in soccer. There aren't many Manchester United fans in Liverpool either. There seems to be far more loyalty in soccer but with that said there are some Galaxy fans here and there.

I'm a Jays, Leafs, and TFC fan and if I liked basketball I'd be a Raptors fan as well. I don't understand being fans of other cities. I have friends who are Aves and Wings fans.... THEY'VE NEVER EVEN BEEN TO THESE CITIES!?

I know of many sport fans who actually follow individual players a lot more than the teams they play on. I had a friend who was a huge Brett Hull fan and has three different team jerseys with his name stamped on the back. Closer to home, a friend from work was a huge DeRo fan and pretty much turned his back on TFC when he left. Now he pretty much supports DC United, but follows the league in general. And before anyone gets their back up about, they need to understand that he's been watching MLS long before TFC even existed.

Myself, when it comes to international soccer, if Canada or Scotland isn't involved, I pull for France. I've never been there myself, but I like the pace and technicality of the French game, so they get my support.

kodiakTFC
04-21-2012, 11:32 PM
I know of many sport fans who actually follow individual players a lot more than the teams they play on. I had a friend who was a huge Brett Hull fan and has three different team jerseys with his name stamped on the back. Closer to home, a friend from work was a huge DeRo fan and pretty much turned his back on TFC when he left. Now he pretty much supports DC United, but follows the league in general. And before anyone gets their back up about, they need to understand that he's been watching MLS long before TFC even existed.

Myself, when it comes to international soccer, if Canada or Scotland isn't involved, I pull for France. I've never been there myself, but I like the pace and technicality of the French game, so they get my support.

I understand that Cash. I get being a fan of players and even pulling for other teams when your team isn't involved. I just don't get people being fans of other teams. I can't stand the Yankee and Red Sox fans in Toronto.

Cashcleaner
04-21-2012, 11:42 PM
I understand that Cash. I get being a fan of players and even pulling for other teams when your team isn't involved. I just don't get people being fans of other teams. I can't stand the Yankee and Red Sox fans in Toronto.

I think in the case of those two teams in particular, a lot of the people you might run into wearing a Yankee or Red Sox cap are doing so only to be fashionable. Before, more often than not, wearing the logo and colours of a team meant you were an actual fan. Unfortunately, that no longer applies.

There are a multitude of people at my work alone who wear ball caps for teams involved in a sport they don't even follow in itself.

TFC07
04-21-2012, 11:53 PM
I am too loyal! Also it's hard to support a team you have no connections with.

ExiledRed
04-22-2012, 03:04 AM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/19162527.jpg

tfcleeds
04-22-2012, 07:07 AM
There just isn't enough exposure to MLS outside of TFC here to really allow that to happen yet. Sure, when LA comes to town, you get all the prepubescent girls with their Beckham jerseys coming out, and when NY comes to town, you might get some Henry fans in their Arsenal jerseys. But beyond that, MLS is pretty much under the radar, so there's no reason for fans here to support another club, really. It's about as likely as seeing a Washington Stealth jersey at a Toronto Rock game.

Eastend
04-22-2012, 07:14 AM
I find I'm asking myself this after every game lately.

Dom.

Abou Sky
04-22-2012, 07:16 AM
To the 'haters' (and I use the term very tongue in cheek)

We are 0 and 6, isnt it nice to have a thread not trashing the team we love?

narduch
04-22-2012, 07:22 AM
TFC doesn't have enough history to keep its fanbase. I will always support TFC, but I also always support the Leafs, Jays, Raptors. I'm from Toronto, I cheer for my Toronto teams in the sports that I like.

But for others, TFC will just become an afterthought and they will simply go back to concentrating more on their old-world team they supported before TFC.

Its sad when you think about the squandered opportunity.

Abou Sky
04-22-2012, 07:32 AM
I am pretty new to soccer, I think outside this group you would find a lot more like me who never supported a team outside of the world cup before TFC came along.

For hockey I am a habs fan, I was born in Montreal and my mom always cheered for the habs.

Baseball, I am a jays fan because I went to a lot of jays games as a kid.

TFC was my first real experience with live soccer, and soccer is a sport best enjoyed live IMO. I can't imagine supporting another team over TFC, although I really do enjoy watching RSL play, they would never come above my TFC.

Toronto 'til I die!

narduch
04-22-2012, 07:34 AM
I love Hab fans that sing Toronto Til I Die at BMO Field with little sense of irony...

trane
04-22-2012, 07:35 AM

Other then the born and raised part, ditto.

Brooker
04-22-2012, 07:36 AM
I'm from the GTA. I support my local team.

There's more I'd like to say on the subject, but it'd just open a can of worms and I'm slowly learning when to shut my fat mouth.

I love Hab fans that sing Toronto Til I Die at BMO Field with little sense of irony...

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ltsvs9jKOn1r3efiso1_500.gif

Do pictures count?

Abou Sky
04-22-2012, 07:39 AM

Fair enough...

cementhead
04-22-2012, 07:43 AM
I,m am Toronto FC supporter thought highs and lows just like leafs.I want the kids to see there may be a place for them in football.Don,t care what other think I bleed the red and blue.I do the one and half hour drive to see boys when they play.And I just love the the game of football!

Brooker
04-22-2012, 07:49 AM
For the love of fuck, please.... PLEASE don't lose today, L.A.

THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELS YOU!

Parkdale
04-22-2012, 07:59 AM
AS hard as this is to say... If I was born and raised in Montreal (or Vancouver, or Seattle, or god forbid - Ohio) then I'd probably support the home team too.

This thread ask the question "why do you like the home team?" The answer is pretty simple

billyfly
04-22-2012, 08:29 AM
Your posts are refreshing Billy.

I have a red card by my name to show for it.

prizby
04-22-2012, 08:44 AM
simple answer: mls was never on my radar...until tfc

Jack
04-22-2012, 08:44 AM
Thick and thin, but not bent over and violated from behind. I love having TFC here and that hasn't changed, though my conviction has been shaken by the complete mismanagement of the football side of things since the beginning. The ownership of the two teams in my city that mean the most to me are grossly incompetent and have shown me no inkling that they know, or care, how to build a winning team. So at some point, when you see that they don't care at the top levels, then it starts to eat away at your faith.

London
04-22-2012, 08:57 AM
if the players actually repped there home towns then i could understand the city pride, but as it stands players and coaches are mercenaries.

I feel the only connection to the city is the fact that they decided that's where the most profits could be made

denime
04-22-2012, 09:07 AM
Thick and thin, but not bent over and violated from behind. I love having TFC here and that hasn't changed, though my conviction has been shaken by the complete mismanagement of the football side of things since the beginning. The ownership of the two teams in my city that mean the most to me are grossly incompetent and have shown me no inkling that they know, or care, how to build a winning team. So at some point, when you see that they don't care at the top levels, then it starts to eat away at your faith.

At least we can say they do care about our "behinds" for last two games TFC and Nivea are giving all fans Nivea Vaseline for men after the game,I would suggest they give them to us before the game so we can apply on time,not after. ;)

Jack
04-22-2012, 09:16 AM
if the players actually repped there home towns then i could understand the city pride, but as it stands players and coaches are mercenaries.

I feel the only connection to the city is the fact that they decided that's where the most profits could be made

Unfortunately, this is true in many cities all over the world. It's just that, here in Toronto, there wasn't a tradition built before the current conditions came into effect.

Parkdale
04-22-2012, 09:19 AM

I dont know. You get the impression that some of the players really love the city. Young guys like Plata and Ecks love the place, and older people like Dichio and Carl Robinson want to make it a long term home.

Toronto is an amazing place to live, shame about the quality of our teams...

London
04-22-2012, 09:39 AM
^^^ my profit comment wasnt directed at the players, more the owners

toronto would be MY choice over most of the choices out there

Parkdale
04-22-2012, 09:42 AM
I'd take Charleston

billyfly
04-22-2012, 12:28 PM
To the people that red carded me as 'mocking new users" or "personal attack", pls learn to read and learn context.

Parkdale
04-22-2012, 12:34 PM
I came for the supporter's gate, but stayed for the billyfly

billyfly
04-22-2012, 12:40 PM
I am what keeps this board and 112 together.

I am the glue.

Time for Roogs to give up the title.

Belfast_Boy
04-22-2012, 12:45 PM
it's football, it's local, it's our tribe.

Kilgore Trout
04-22-2012, 12:50 PM
I dont know. You get the impression that some of the players really love the city. Young guys like Plata and Ecks love the place, and older people like Dichio and Carl Robinson want to make it a long term home.

Toronto is an amazing place to live, shame about the quality of our teams...
Yes.

Most people who hate Toronto are Western Canadians, or people from the GTA who have the same bullshit 'I need to get out of this town' mentality that exists in every city in the world. I'm from Calgary and it's hard to believe sometimes how many Calgarians want to go to Vancouver, which as far as I can tell consists exclusively of pretentious yuppies, pretentious hippies, ultrapretentious West Coast-type hipsters, the homeless, drug gangs, and prostitutes. And moreover is a tremendously ugly urban space with some nice scenery around it. They usually come back two years later hating their decision.

K, sorry for ranting, but the point is really that while Toronto is not LA or New York to most people, it's certainly the case that a lot of people, those more open-minded/urban AND those more traditional/suburban will love Toronto because it's a fantastic city that affords a multiplicity of lifestyles. And it's a much better city than LA. I'm honestly convinced that to players outside those with a certain mindset (let's call it the Beckham mindset), Toronto would face more of a challenge from Chicago or Seattle than from LA.

james
04-22-2012, 12:53 PM
i hate when people support teams/cities that they have never been to or have no ties to the city what so ever. You see people from Toronto with Washing Capital jerseys, NY Yankees hats, LA Galaxy jerseys or people born in London but support Manchester United even tho they have no family there and never even been to Manchester before and have other teams in there own city, but instead support them just because they either are a top team that year or because there is some good players on the team, then few years later change teams again because all of a sudden the team isn't good any more. In my opinion support your city your local team and support them through thick and thin.

Parkdale
04-22-2012, 12:56 PM
good post.

I honestly think most of the players feel a pride for this city, even if they know they are only here for a short while.

Yeoman
04-22-2012, 12:57 PM

I am the glue.

god i wish i could have the power to make you a god
i never cared for the sport till TFC came along.
everything around here, well it's not great. heck even the MLS isn't, but hey it good enough for me to complain about.

Belfast_Boy
04-22-2012, 12:58 PM
i don't hate people that support winners. it's nice to feel like that. one day I hope we find out.

james
04-22-2012, 01:02 PM
i don't hate people that support winners. it's nice to feel like that. one day I hope we find out.

but if they only support winners they will never know what its like to really win after supporting a team thats been losing for so many years!!!

Belfast_Boy
04-22-2012, 01:42 PM
but if they only support winners they will never know what its like to really win after supporting a team thats been losing for so many years!!!

or they can be a fan of a winning team and learn to love the sport. winning sides have brought in a huge amount of new fans. some fall off the bandwagon but others have become great supporters. it doesn't matter how we get here, there's enough room for us all..... except for Columbus, there's no excuse for that.

Roogsy
04-22-2012, 02:02 PM

I am the glue.

Nobody is more surprised than I am at having two green cards beside my name. :lol:

It's all yours Billy. Use the infamy well!

Abou Sky
04-22-2012, 05:08 PM
god i wish i could have the power to make you a god
i never cared for the sport till TFC came along.
everything around here, well it's not great. heck even the MLS isn't, but hey it good enough for me to complain about.

I echo the 'never cared for a sport'

Go to leafs/jays/marlies games but it is more of a 'night out' I cheer for the leafs except when they play the habs (which I can't afford tix to)

I didn't understand soccer until my son got into it and I got a crash course. Once I UNDERSTOOD the game, and knew what was going on I fell in love.

Soccer is best watched live (I think NFL is best watched on TV, other that the craziness) I will go with my boys on bike rides by Cherry Beach and if a game is going on we will stop and watch and take it in.

Soccer is truly the beautiful game, TFC is like my first love, I watch Serie A and say 'man, I wish we had that quality here' but it is like looking at some super model saying 'man, I wish I was shagging her'

TFC is who I got, and I will stick by her. (insert ugly joke here)

Abou Sky
04-22-2012, 05:13 PM
Yes.

Most people who hate Toronto are Western Canadians, or people from the GTA who have the same bullshit 'I need to get out of this town' mentality that exists in every city in the world. I'm from Calgary and it's hard to believe sometimes how many Calgarians want to go to Vancouver, which as far as I can tell consists exclusively of pretentious yuppies, pretentious hippies, ultrapretentious West Coast-type hipsters, the homeless, drug gangs, and prostitutes. And moreover is a tremendously ugly urban space with some nice scenery around it. They usually come back two years later hating their decision.

K, sorry for ranting, but the point is really that while Toronto is not LA or New York to most people, it's certainly the case that a lot of people, those more open-minded/urban AND those more traditional/suburban will love Toronto because it's a fantastic city that affords a multiplicity of lifestyles. And it's a much better city than LA. I'm honestly convinced that to players outside those with a certain mindset (let's call it the Beckham mindset), Toronto would face more of a challenge from Chicago or Seattle than from LA.

Fuck I hate Vancouver! I dont mind losing, but I REALLY don't like being behind Vancouver in the league.

Kilgore Trout
04-22-2012, 05:24 PM
Fuck I hate Vancouver! I dont mind losing, but I REALLY don't like being behind Vancouver in the league.

Same. I understand the historical rivalry between Montreal and Toronto, but I can't help but hate the Whitecaps much, much more than the Impact, because I just hate Vancouver that much.

And in hockey, most Flames fans take the Canucks rivalry much more seriously for that reason (not really because Vancouver is a better hockey team than Edmonton) than the traditional city rivalry of Calgary-Edmonton.

Fuck I hate Vancouver.

denime
04-22-2012, 05:33 PM
Why TFC,Why not?

Code Red
04-22-2012, 06:06 PM
My take. Three words:

Support Local Football

I've lived in different parts of the world and the amount of fashionistas I've seen sporting the merchandise of top flight soccer clubs, America football, baseball and basketball teams humours me. I'm willing to bet that the majority of these people have no connection to these clubs or cities in any form whatsoever except that they have won some trophies and/or are popular. Having said that though, people have the right to support any club/team they like and there is nothing any of us can do about it but shake our heads.

I should add that I own several clubs soccer jerseys, not for fashion reasons or based on their silverware, but because I lived in those cities and attended/supported those clubs when I was living there.

DavydMT
04-22-2012, 06:20 PM
Some good points, including number of people talking about SUPPORT LOCAL FOOTBALL. I hope so see few more people at Academy games this year. Help support local football and grow football culture.

This is your city, this is your club. THIS IS YOUR STORY.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/250252_10150197952127334_508122333_7326999_2185500 _n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/225516_10150182383572334_508122333_7202815_4364040 _n.jpg

When it comes to football we sing and dance :)

billyfly
04-22-2012, 07:30 PM
Nobody is more surprised than I am at having two green cards beside my name. :lol:

It's all yours Billy. Use the infamy well!

I know the identity of one of the red carders. He is in trouble next game.

Roogsy
04-22-2012, 08:24 PM
I know the identity of one of the red carders. He is in trouble next game.

Don't get me started on this card system. LOL

Whoop
04-22-2012, 08:36 PM
It's no surprise who gave him the card. ;)

tiberius
04-22-2012, 09:58 PM
Roogsy if I could give you a third green card for protection I would - when did your mother become a moderator anyhow? :hump: