PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on DP's in MLS

[NBF]
04-19-2012, 08:19 PM
My question was intended for the formations section of the forum but I cant find it.

Ok, as far as DP's in MLS there's a question on what a position should be considered DP positions based on team formations. I think everyone will agree that Striker is definitely a DP position, but what other positions would you consider DP positions depending on the 3 listed formations?

I'm assuming that most teams are running a 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 or 4-3-3.

(Red= Updated Poll Results)

4-3-3:

--------------------DP#1---------------------
DP#2-------DP#6-----------DP#5--------DP#3
--------------------DP#4---------------------
----------DP#8-------------DP#10------------
DP#7-----------------------------------DP#11
--------------------DP#9---------------------

4-2-3-1 or 4-4-1-1:

----------------------------------------------
----------DP#8-------------DP#4-------------
DP#7---------------DP#10--------------DP#11
--------------------DP#9---------------------

4-4-2:

----------DP#8-------------DP#4-------------
DP#7-----------------------------------DP#11
-----------DP#10----------DP#9-------------

This is a multiple choice poll, just click on the DP position you consider to be a necessity on any team in MLS. This is essentially 3 polls, one for each formation.

ArmenJBX
04-19-2012, 08:30 PM
The Poll to end all Polls :O

jabbronies
04-19-2012, 08:35 PM
6 - 4 - 10 - 9 in all formations.

CB
Holding Mid
Attacking Mid
Striker

Up them middle where they can control the game.

Carts
04-19-2012, 09:13 PM
6 - 4 - 10 - 9 in all formations.

CB
Holding Mid
Attacking Mid
Striker

Up them middle where they can control the game.

100% exactly the way I think...

One position I would never use a DP on is a keeper - not because a great keeper can't change a match, but b/c some of the defensive blunders in this league that happen on a regular basis 3DP keepers in goal at the same time couldn't keep it out of the net LOL

brad
04-19-2012, 09:19 PM
Agree with the above. Down the spine. I agree with Wintet that DP's should be leaders as well as quality players and having leadership down the spine would pay off.

Oldtimer
04-20-2012, 08:10 AM
Agreed with the previous 3 posters. It's especially important in a 4-3-3.

Detroit_TFC
04-20-2012, 08:22 AM
Looking at the wiki list of current and past DPs, many strikers and attacking mids. Rafa Marquez (as a mostly CB, occasional DM and full time prick), Frank Rost (alledgedly a GK), Shalrie Joseph and TFC's two DMs are prominent exceptions. Seems like most teams try to use DPs for goal production more than for leadership. I think it would be an interesting experiment to get a DP CB - not a dude gliding in for retirement but a decent, mid career CB to see how much that one top player can solidify a defense (ie in the midst of MLS quality defenders). We've seen what Frings can do as a sweeper but that wasn't the intention to use him that when they got him.

brad
04-20-2012, 08:28 AM
^^DP's or not, that does generally seem how most MLS teams are built. Put more of your cap into the attacking players, and make due with what you can find for the defenders.

flambe
04-20-2012, 12:16 PM
down the middle of the park, agreed.
if you have the luxury of 3 dp's, then one up front, one in midfield and one in defence. They can then be leaders of their own sections and marshal the play across the whole field.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
04-20-2012, 01:07 PM
opinion on DP.... we have 3!! Good on MLSE!

but...

We are wasting 2 of 3 spots!

No disrespect to kover and jdg...both should be on the team..but not at DP status!

__wowza
04-20-2012, 01:54 PM
4-3-3 - #8/#4/#10
hello 75% possession every single game!

i know that's not really the point of this, but i agree that up the spine would be the most beneficial, i just enjoy daydreaming about watching 3 DPs as forwards/mids/defenders.

Pookie
04-20-2012, 03:22 PM
Most systems tend to have a common baseline philosophy that is true in youth soccer as it is in the top leagues. You tend to put your strength in your "spine" or "middle"

As for Danny K... the guy had a strike rate of 8 goals in 10 games last year. Even with his slow start, he is 9 in 15 and given an inch or two last weekend could be 10 or 11 in 15. I'm quite happy with the decision to put a DP tag on him. He appears to be a positive influence on the players around him.

DoubleUp
04-20-2012, 10:38 PM
Most systems tend to have a common baseline philosophy that is true in youth soccer as it is in the top leagues. You tend to put your strength in your "spine" or "middle"

As for Danny K... the guy had a strike rate of 8 goals in 10 games last year. Even with his slow start, he is 9 in 15 and given an inch or two last weekend could be 10 or 11 in 15. I'm quite happy with the decision to put a DP tag on him. He appears to be a positive influence on the players around him.

Last years strike rate was impressive, but this year I would say he's on the cusp of the dp tag Imo.

his overall play is not nearly as influential as frings.

With Danny he's either red hot or ice cold.

Abou Sky
04-21-2012, 12:42 AM
My $.02, one DP as an attacking Mid for big bucks is what you want.

Having three DP's eats half TFC's allocation including additional allocation (guess but should be about right)

It would be better IMO to spend the other $2.5m on 10-12 higher end players in the $150-$200k range, next 6 a big lower and the 20-30 (not counted against cap) on young development players.

You should be able to field a heck of a roster like that but fans demand DP's so MLSE, likely against their better judgement brought in DP's