PDA

View Full Version : Rohan Ricketts

Island Man
04-16-2012, 07:21 AM
Yes the one and only!

He just tweeted "So happy to be back in Toronto. Got the chance to watch the TorontoFC academy team managed my mate Danny Dichio then watched the 1st team." and then "Had good convo with Aron Winter and Earl Cochrane about coming back to train with my old club TorontoFC this week. Will know more soon."

Nice to know he still lives in Toronto. Just left Exeter as well ;)

brad
04-16-2012, 07:29 AM
Oh no.....

jabbronies
04-16-2012, 07:31 AM
what is he training for? fun?

Island Man
04-16-2012, 07:35 AM

I imagine to keep up fitness.

Pinkie
04-16-2012, 08:10 AM
rohan rickett fucking wicked

MartinUtd
04-16-2012, 08:10 AM
Gotta hand it to the guy, he's still trying to live the dream.

Keyman
04-16-2012, 08:11 AM
Winter heard our chant!

__wowza
04-16-2012, 08:17 AM

id imagine that unless you've worked the concession stand at another MLSE owned venue you'd need a brush up.

Island Man
04-16-2012, 08:38 AM
Also looks like he's seting up a academy in Canada.

"Exciting times as I grow my RRacademy through partnering with brands and clubs in Canada. The long term goal is producing top players!"

kodiakTFC
04-16-2012, 09:08 AM
He's a great guy and a decent footballer. If he took the minimum, he could be a decent sub.

ryan
04-16-2012, 09:20 AM
he could be our next reggie lambe!

Waggy
04-16-2012, 09:27 AM
I'd imagine he's just keeping up fitness. But I'm happy he stayed in Toronto, and I'm happy of all the clubs he's been to (and it's a LONG fucking list), he still considers TFC his club. I'd have him back at a lowish wage, but really would prefer not. Great guy though, great ambassador. Would like to see him back with the club in some sort of off field role (I'd love to see him working with Asif, doing interviews, making videos, random short articles etc). My favorite TFC memory by far is singing/jumping with him the day he came into the south stands. Dunno how he wound up next to me, but just a great guy

Fort York Redcoat
04-16-2012, 09:49 AM
Welcome Back!

To train. (Nice guy but TFC time is done, thanks)

Waggy
04-16-2012, 10:48 AM
Posted on FB, doesn't look like he'll be joining the club or anything just hanging out. I'm sure he'll be around BMO plenty though

Rohan Ricketts (http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=677431501)

So happy to be back in Toronto ahead of the Euro 2012 which will be on TSN. I cant wait to get out in the community coaching different rep clubs across the GTA. Should be an enjoyable next 2 months.

JuliquE
04-16-2012, 11:12 AM
he could be our next reggie lambe!
Ahhh.. good lulz. hehe

Nah.. but, for me, he's really a likeable lad. Have to echo what Waggy has said, in this thread, about him.

ArmenJBX
04-16-2012, 11:36 AM
I saw him at BMO Field on Saturday, real friendly guy.

TOBOR !
04-16-2012, 12:39 PM
... all the above, plus he's a connection to our glory days.

Kyle_121
04-16-2012, 12:47 PM
Yes the one and only!

He just tweeted "So happy to be back in Toronto. Got the chance to watch the TorontoFC academy team managed my mate Danny Dichio then watched the 1st team." and then "Had good convo with Aron Winter and Earl Cochrane about coming back to train with my old club TorontoFC this week. Will know more soon."

Nice to know he still lives in Toronto. Just left Exeter as well ;)

Exeter doesn't even know he's gone!

Cashcleaner
04-16-2012, 12:57 PM
I like Ricketts. He loves the city and wants to help grow the sport in Canada. I can respect that.

Chris Wren
04-16-2012, 01:05 PM
Another ex-player getting 'love' from the TFC faithful.

Suds
04-16-2012, 01:27 PM

In fairness to Rohan, it just didn't work out for him as a player here. He seems like an amicable guy. Didn't bash the club, city, or players after he left. (not that I recall anyway) I would have been surprised if there were any negative comments towards him. As for his play I'd understand everyone would have their own opinion.

If he's decided he likes T.O. and this is where he wants to move on to his next career then all power to the guy.

Kyle_121
04-16-2012, 02:28 PM

The guy was crap on the field and put 10x more effort into shameless self promotion than anything else he did. Combine that with his buddy Plain English / Big Bruva who was also pimping his crap and what do you expect?

I'm sure Rohan is a nice guy, but I wouldn't give him $1 to ride the TFC bench.

TFC/ARSENAL
04-16-2012, 04:09 PM
... all the above, plus he's a connection to our glory days.

Good one, but it sure hurts. :-)

Waggy
04-16-2012, 04:26 PM

Ya. How dare he appreciate us and adopt our city as his new home. What an asshole. And the extra effort to communicate directly with fans? Psh. David Beckham wouldn't be caught dead in the Riot Squad end helping to lead chants after the club cut him. And good on him!

Brooker
04-16-2012, 05:01 PM
Please tell me he came alone and didn't bring his posse.

Parkdale
04-16-2012, 08:26 PM
yes he was a shameless self promoter, but I think that's a cultural difference we modest and passive agressive Canadians don't understand. Maybe in his world, you just have to keep hustling no matter what. Figure that a fotballer only has 10 years of limited fame, so they better hustle their asses off to translate that fame into something that can keep paying them for the next chapter of their lives.

having said that, there's no place on the Team for him. If he loves the city, then he'll make a place for himself. Good luck to him.

Roogsy
04-16-2012, 09:31 PM
Please tell me he came alone and didn't bring his posse.

He never had a "posse". :noidea:

UltraSuperMegaMo
04-16-2012, 10:14 PM
yes he was a shameless self promoter, but I think that's a cultural difference we modest and passive agressive Canadians don't understand. Maybe in his world, you just have to keep hustling no matter what. Figure that a fotballer only has 10 years of limited fame, so they better hustle their asses off to translate that fame into something that can keep paying them for the next chapter of their lives.

having said that, there's no place on the Team for him. If he loves the city, then he'll make a place for himself. Good luck to him.

That's an interesting point. The British do tend to big everything up like mad. An example that comes to mind, Neil from the Young Ones couldn't leave his house to go grocery shopping during the height of the series popularity for fear of being mobbed. Neil from the Young Ones.

Brooker
04-17-2012, 03:44 PM
He never had a "posse". :noidea:

I coulda sworn he had a few hanger on's with him. Didn't he even have 2 of them on posting on this board?

VoxPopuliCosmicum
04-17-2012, 05:01 PM
I coulda sworn he had a few hanger on's with him. Didn't he even have 2 of them on posting on this board?

I strenuously resemble that remark, but, for the record, it was Ricketts who made the first move
http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1010&d=1213509761

Roogsy
04-17-2012, 10:54 PM

His cousin? Big Bruva does make an effort to promote for him and they're seen together often but I don't think that qualifies as such.

Abou Sky
04-17-2012, 10:56 PM
If anyone has contact info for Rohan Ricketts please PM me.

Brooker
04-18-2012, 04:28 AM
His cousin? Big Bruva does make an effort to promote for him and they're seen together often but I don't think that qualifies as such.

There was one other guy. If that isn't sufficient enough to quality as a posse, I apologize for my choice of words. :D

tfc007
04-18-2012, 06:17 AM
Agreed with a member of him coming back at a much lower salary, the time he spent here wasnt anything special but I think he is much better than Reggie Lambe.I believe with this team ricketts might actually perform better.Plus I hear he is a great character and a motivator. Maybee we need a guy like this right now! Who knows.

zeelaw
04-19-2012, 10:46 AM
He's a few months late for that fan contest

jabbronies
04-19-2012, 10:51 AM
He's a few months late for that fan contest

It's never to late for Rohan to have fun. He's always poppin'

rocker
04-19-2012, 10:53 AM
If Andy Welsh had Ricketts' ability at self-promotion people would still be thinking of Welsh fondly too.

Yohan
04-19-2012, 11:40 AM
If Andy Welsh had Ricketts' ability at self-promotion people would still be thinking of Welsh fondly too.andy welsh didnt singlehandedly win two games for tfc

cherono
04-19-2012, 02:04 PM
andy welsh didnt singlehandedly win two games for tfc

Wasn't it Welsh who scored the goal in the yr 1 home win over (then champion) Houston? Horrible weather, awesome time, if I remember corrctly. It's really my only recollection of Welsh doing anything, so I hope it was him!
:)

bigredoneNEE
04-19-2012, 03:20 PM
Wasn't it Welsh who scored the goal in the yr 1 home win over (then champion) Houston? Horrible weather, awesome time, if I remember corrctly. It's really my only recollection of Welsh doing anything, so I hope it was him!
:)
Pretty sure it was actually. He scored early and then we survived an absolute barrage of Houston chances in the second half. Great night.

JonO
04-19-2012, 03:28 PM
Are we supposed to despise everyone who no longer plays for TFC?

trane
04-19-2012, 03:40 PM

Wow Parky you look good, if your transformation to woman is complete, I would like to set you up on a date with my brother, you are looking like his type.

bigredoneNEE
04-20-2012, 08:12 AM

For your first point on it being "a cultural difference we modest and passive agressive Canadians don't understand" I don't really agree with that. I have a cousin that works for Wolverhampton Wanderers and she told me prior to coming to TFC that Ricketts was considered a joke over in England. He was trying this self promotion crap, to a lessor degree though, over there and people were annoyed by it. When he was at Wolves he actually insisted on people calling him Tony Montana, as he thought of himself as a real pimp, but generally people just called him "Ince's Shadow" as he used to hide behind Paul Ince on and off the pitch.

In fairness, as people have said, he never did bash the city, or our team as others have that have left and I appreciate that. But if his talent matched his self promotional skills he wouldn't have kicked around from club to club since leaving here. As bad as we are at the moment, we have no room for him on this team.

Despite the annoying self promotion, he seems like an alright guy so all the best to him with his soccer camps.

Parkdale
04-20-2012, 08:36 AM
I still think there's a cultural difference - just maybe not with all of England but with the world Rohan lives in.

We Canadians are world famous for our polite, yet passive aggressive mannerism. The idea of being a hustler (a designation Rohan would wear with pride) just doesn't sit well with our national identity. I know that not everyone in London is a hustler, and not every New Yorker is a pushy cutthroat - but Rohan seemed to love that part of it. We Canadians want our stars to act like Danny Dichio (get a house in the burbs, raise the kids, teach at soccer clubs and live the quiet Canadian Dream). We don't want them to bling it out and act like superstars (Hi Dero)

I've always said that if RR wasn't playing football, he'd be hustling DVDs and watches in the back of some market.

bigredoneNEE
04-20-2012, 08:48 AM
I still think there's a cultural difference - just maybe not with all of England but with the world Rohan lives in.

We Canadians are world famous for our polite, yet passive aggressive mannerism. The idea of being a hustler (a designation Rohan would wear with pride) just doesn't sit well with our national identity. I know that not everyone in London is a hustler, and not every New Yorker is a pushy cutthroat - but Rohan seemed to love that part of it. We Canadians want our stars to act like Danny Dichio (get a house in the burbs, raise the kids, teach at soccer clubs and live the quiet Canadian Dream). We don't want them to bling it out and act like superstars (Hi Dero)

I've always said that if RR wasn't playing football, he'd be hustling DVDs and watches in the back of some market.

Hahaha! Yeah fair points. I understand what you mean.

Abou Sky
04-21-2012, 12:34 AM
I proudly proclaim myself a 'hustler'

IMO a hustler is someone who never really stops working, i am at the bank and I hand out cards, contractor to do repairs, let's do some trade.

A hustler is a hard worker, bling or not.

I think RR is an obvious media whore but GOOD FOR HIM! He has columns, an online mag, radio show, guest appearances and is working on an academy.

I don't see why that is a bad thing?

IMO 'hustler' is more an American thing than British.

On top of all that he offers value for his services, not like investment bankers who do nothing but circulate worthless paper.

Go RR!

DoubleUp
04-21-2012, 01:47 AM

And that's the main reason Canadian athletics is second rate, scorning athletes that display anytype of bravado/swagger.....Jon Montgomery, Dero, Donavon bailey.

These are the type of people that push elite-sport forward not Dichio.