PDA

View Full Version : MLS sponsorships

Kickit09
07-12-2008, 12:10 AM
found this on wikipedia and thought it was rather interesting that TFC is at the bottom of the list (out of teams that actualy have sponsorships). I thought they'd be closer to the top.

Major League Soccer Jersey Sponsorship Deals

Los Angeles Galaxy - Herbalife - $4-5 million per year
Seattle Sounders FC (2009) - XBox 360 Live (Microsoft) - $4 million per year
DC United - Volkswagen - $3.1-3.7 million per year
Chicago Fire - Best Buy - $2-4 million per year
Chivas USA - Comex Group - $2 million per year
Houston Dynamo - Amigo Energy - $1.9 million per year
Toronto FC - Bank of Montreal - $1-1.5 million per year
Columbus Crew - Glidden - $1 million per year
Real Salt Lake - XanGo - $1 million per year
New York Red Bulls - Red Bull - Part of $100 million deal for team & stadium

Philadelphia Club (starts play in 2010) - No team details announced yet.
Kansas City Wizards - no jersey sponsor
New England Revolution - no jersey sponsor
Colorado Rapids - no jersey sponsor
FC Dallas - no jersey sponsor
San Jose Earthquakes - no jersey sponsor

egoodwin
07-12-2008, 12:15 AM
actually FCD has a sponser now...

Wagner
07-12-2008, 12:20 AM
the TFC deal was so low (relatively) because it was unknown....the success of TFC has probably helped new teams like seattle....there is a blueprint for success....etc...

Corpand
07-12-2008, 12:46 AM
ooohh the red bulls are shite!!!!

Oh sorry, wrong forum, but I wonder how much of that $100 million chunk they get pain annually.

Cashcleaner
07-12-2008, 04:51 AM
Wow. I'm really surprised that Herbalife has the coin to throw around. $4-5 million a year is a hefty pricetag, even when you throw in the marketing aspect of Beckham.

kitchener-TFC
07-12-2008, 09:11 AM
I love the VW sponsor!

Razcle
07-12-2008, 09:13 AM
I remember reading that dallas was in the works of finalizing a deal with a major transportation company....fedex or UPS or something...might have been speculation.

Dirk Diggler
07-12-2008, 11:59 AM
Wow. I'm really surprised that Herbalife has the coin to throw around. $4-5 million a year is a hefty pricetag, even when you throw in the marketing aspect of Beckham.

That deal seems like a bargain now. I mean Microsoft is paying the same amount for the Sounders jerseys and I'm quite certain that their kits aren't going to fly off the shelves like Beckham shirts around the world.

SLBuu
07-12-2008, 12:27 PM
i bet we could top LA if we were to sign a new deal at this point.

NF-FC
07-12-2008, 01:13 PM
how long is our deal? i don't know if we could top LA but we should definitely be in the DCU/Volkswagen range

Sonny Cheeba
07-12-2008, 01:22 PM
man banks make so much money..... cough it up BMO.

but for a lower amount of cash relative to others, we're doing quite well.

Oldtimer
07-12-2008, 01:41 PM
Don't forget that BMO also sponsors:

The stadium
The broadcast on CBC
The "Ultimate Fan" contest

There is more money flowing into TFC than most teams when you count all of the above.

adampz
07-12-2008, 07:52 PM
^ Does TFC actually make money off the stadium being named BMO, doesnt that money go to the city? also wouldnt BMO pay cbc and not tfc for sponsoring their broadcasts. Im probably wrong but thats what i thought.

ExiledRed
07-13-2008, 04:04 PM
^ Does TFC actually make money off the stadium being named BMO, doesnt that money go to the city? also wouldnt BMO pay cbc and not tfc for sponsoring their broadcasts. Im probably wrong but thats what i thought.

MLSE got the naming rights as part of their contract with the city.

They then sold the name to BMO for about $18 million? and generated a profit against their initial investment in the stadium which was about $10 million.

Im probably wrong, and Im just relating what I remember, could somebody who KNOWS clarify this for me please. (i.e not somebody who thinks they know)

TicTacTabarnack
07-15-2008, 02:07 PM
All-in-All ... Sponsorship looks like it could practically cover the salary cap.