PDA

View Full Version : What do you love about TFC games?

Abou Sky
04-15-2012, 09:40 PM
Thought some positivity was in order, so I figured I would honestly ask you all what you LOVE about TFC games?

I love spending time with my son, I love the excitement on his face and that he lights up every time we see BMO field, even if it is just passing it on the highway.

There are lots of other things but I want to hear from others.

Please no negative crap, there are about 100 threads going with negative crap...

Cheerleader Dave:scarf::scarf::scarf::scarf:

Phil
04-15-2012, 09:44 PM
I like seeing my friends, the sense of community and seeing live football.

ensco
04-15-2012, 10:14 PM
The view of the City from the west stands, upper deck.

kodiakTFC
04-15-2012, 10:58 PM

All of this. I never thought this is how my love of TFC would develop. My passion for this team goes beyond just football, its being in the stands on beautiful summer day and god awful monsoons; knowing all of you share my love of this team. Like I tell my friends who don't get it, there is something about gameday that gives me goosebumps even 5 and a bit years on. Many of us don't know each other by name but we recognize one other, perhaps we have nicknames (you know who you are Skinny Carl), TFC is more than a team, its a community. Its just unfortunate that community is based around a poor excuse of a football club.

T-boy
04-15-2012, 11:00 PM
I love going to the game and then build up to the game - I'm happy as anybody until the kick off whistle sounds - then its all downhill! And I love the pies from the north east corner.

Huyton
04-15-2012, 11:02 PM
I love:

Holding my scarf high and belting out O Canada.

Singing Dichio, the look of the grass, the smell of the food, the sense of anticipation.

The incredible thrill when the ball nestles in the back of the net, and 20,000 fans go nuts.

The camaraderie of my fellow supporters.

Players like Eckersley, and I'm proud that he has found a home here...just like me.

There is a team on the field, and a team in the stands. I am part of the latter and we changed the way that soccer is supported in North America.

Only one other MLS team in recent history has gone as far into the CONCACAF Champions League as we have. We should not have made it out of the group stages...but we did. We should not have got past LA...but we did. We should not have got past Santos Laguna...and with less than 45 minutes to play, even THAT dream was still alive. We were the envy of every other fan in North America. IT WAS EPIC!!!

Huyton
04-15-2012, 11:09 PM
I should add that I love being there with my son. In an age where so many parents seem estranged from their children, this is far from the case with my son and I. TFC is one of our common passions.

I love being there with my best friend. We've got drunk together, we've been there for each other through some tough, tough times, but we hold our scarves high, and sing till our throats are raw.

jazzy
04-15-2012, 11:18 PM
I should add that I love being there with my son. In an age where so many parents seem estranged from their children, this is far from the case with my son and I. TFC is one of our common passions.

I love being there with my best friend. We've got drunk together, we've been there for each other through some tough, tough times, but we hold our scarves high, and sing till our throats are raw.

I'm pleasantly surprised by the knowledge and enjoyment of the women, whether with or without their partners at the game.....definitely cuts the testosterone levels,..thank god.......easy on the eyes as well,....and as said the many kids, all ages, shows how many potential future fans are there......it is great meeting people , one might never know.

Mark in Ottawa
04-16-2012, 06:48 AM
I love seeing the good friends I have made thru TFC who I rarely if ever see at other times.
I love the excitement/expectation I feel before every kick off ... I know it's weird ... but I really do.

Pinkie
04-16-2012, 08:08 AM

this. i still love coming to bmo.

Joe Kool
04-16-2012, 08:25 AM
I enjoy seeing the friends I have made too. Just being at my seat in BMO Field feels special. On a beautiful day it is a great feeling. I don't get away much from home due to my personal situation so I don't get much stress relief time. I find that the experience of attending the game gives me the same feeling, in terms of stress relief, as a weekend away. I know it may sound weird and it feels odd to tell some people that especially when they are not really into soccer because I know they think I am crazy. This is the only place where people may know what I mean. Now if they could win this year that feeling can get even better.

__wowza
04-16-2012, 08:28 AM
i love seeing fans headed to BMO in transit. im traveling from scarborough for most of the games i attend, so whenever i catch a TFC fan on the 86 or at kennedy we always exchange a look and a nod. it's hard to describe but you can normally tell what they're thinking, im sure youve felt it too. its varied from "this is my first game" to "im a casual" to "here we go again, eh?"

also: i also love keeping yeomans jets jersey in my backpack.

jabbronies
04-16-2012, 08:52 AM
The guys in 110 are a great bunch to hang out with. Very knowledgeable about the game. Lot's of good conversation to be had in that section.

But the main reason I love going to BMO is to watch the game unfold around the whole field. You can't get that sense on TV. I love seeing what the D are doing when the ball is moving up the field into the attacking zone. Or watching a player on the other side of the pitch calling for a switch when the ball is stuck on the other side etc.

trane
04-16-2012, 09:01 AM
I love watching football period.

DavydMT
04-16-2012, 09:05 AM
I love watching football period.

http://youtu.be/W1wKPLCWApQ

Red Rat
04-16-2012, 09:40 AM
Lots of men running around in tight little shorts

Furtado91
04-16-2012, 09:46 AM
I love seeing the pitch and being in the stadium period. I also love Chatting with people, making new friends and just wearing the jersey. Im also proud to be apart of a supporters group and being apart of a group.

Fort York Redcoat
04-16-2012, 10:08 AM
Being There.

Growing Something.

james
04-16-2012, 11:45 AM
yelling at the players how shit there doing, makes me feel good about myself!g:D

Toronto Funk
04-16-2012, 11:57 AM
I have been taking my son to games since he was 1. Despite my wife's reservations about the language and general madness of sitting in 115 (it has calmed down a bit over the years), he actually now gets mad if I take someone else to the game.
On a side note, I had a proud moment last season when he asked me if he could shout at the goalie of the other team like the other people were doing. Not knowing what was going to come out of my 5 year olds mouth - I said have it. I still laugh when I think about him yelling "Hey Neilson - you like like a potato!"
We're building memories here - the winning memories will come soon!

Plus I love seeing the grass field.

Abou Sky
04-16-2012, 12:08 PM
I have been taking my son to games since he was 1. Despite my wife's reservations about the language and general madness of sitting in 115 (it has calmed down a bit over the years), he actually now gets mad if I take someone else to the game.
On a side note, I had a proud moment last season when he asked me if he could shout at the goalie of the other team like the other people were doing. Not knowing what was going to come out of my 5 year olds mouth - I said have it. I still laugh when I think about him yelling "Hey Neilson - you like like a potato!"
We're building memories here - the winning memories will come soon!

Plus I love seeing the grass field.

My 7 year old yells out 'hey keeper, I'm your daddy'

He has NOOOOOOOO idea what on earth it means, but it is damned funny.

Last week he was yelling out "you stink like goats" which was pretty clever IMO.

Abou Sky
04-16-2012, 12:09 PM
yelling at the players how shit there doing, makes me feel good about myself!g:D

Ya, I kind of like calling DK 'fattie'

Note, he is 6'4" 230, I am 5'9" 230...

Hello Pot, this is kettle calling...

BayernTFC
04-16-2012, 12:26 PM
A high level of Football in Toronto. :scarf: :canada:

Growing Something.
This too. :thumbsup:

dupont
04-16-2012, 12:28 PM
I love having a team in Toronto to cheer for. I find it hard to cheer for any team that isn't based in my city!

Belfast_Boy
04-16-2012, 12:40 PM
seeing the group at the bar before the game.
feeling the anticipation while walking up to the stadium with the crowd.
haning out with my buddy and watching some ball.
singing.
jumping.
clapping.
yelling at the ref.
cheering when we put one in.

Yagbod
04-16-2012, 12:41 PM
Nothing else matters when I am in the stands. I love that feeling.

leafsman
04-16-2012, 12:48 PM
Just love watching the game live. Also love the free pizza our row got on saturday, which made a brutal game slightly better. Doubt that ever happens again but the performance can only improve i imagine.

Cashcleaner
04-16-2012, 12:50 PM
I haven't been to nearly as many home games as I used to, but despite our record on the pitch, I still really miss watching the team play live. Standing in 112 next to the drum and among the other supporters just makes the gameday experience so much better than watching alone or at a pub. I feel you invest yourself more into what's going on the pitch when you're a part of a larger crowd like that.

I may criticise and moan when we're playing poorly, but in the back of my mind I know that seasons change and coaches and players come and go, so there's always the next game to look forward to.

Thomas
04-16-2012, 09:17 PM
I look forward to the game build up throughout the week. Game day is great, especially on a Saturday. I like riding the transit across town, and seeing so many other fans. I for myself enjoy sitting in my seat next to my mate with a nice cool 28oz cup of beer. Overpriced, yep....but I still like em. Love the atmosphere with a good crowd and action on the pitch. It's hard to beat.

Auzzy
04-16-2012, 10:27 PM
I love the anticipation starting a few days before the game & building. No matter how the last game was, I always look forward to the next one. I love the bike ride to (and back from) BMO, 7 1/2 km all the way through the back streets & parks of Toronto, awesome. Or when the weather's bad, the ride in my door-to-door limo, Bus 63, seeing other TFC fans & often chatting on the way home. I love coming into the stadium, seeing the awesome green of the pitch, and the view of downtown & the islands from Section 225 -- where I've got some great neighbours. I love "Three Little Birds" & the other songs playing pre-game. And I often even like the footy. Finally seeing some better passing, some give & go's, some nice runs & crosses, some movement off the ball, etc. (Still not enough of all the above -- but more than we used to see.) When all that finally produces some goals again, I'll like that even more!

Abou Sky
04-16-2012, 10:48 PM
cheering when we put one in.

Best goal was the one against Santos Laguna, the ENTIRE STADIUM became the supporters section and EVERYONE was standing.

My son and I were hugging the people next to us.

God I love goals, I think I have more fun losing 4-3 than winning 1-0

Code Red
04-17-2012, 01:10 AM
A positive thread. Are my eyes deceiving me? g:D

Thanks for starting this sky, we needed something positive around here given the results we've had on the pitch and consequent gloom on the boards.

As for what I love about seeing the game live:

-The commute to the game and the excitement that comes with it (even seeing BMO from the Gardiner excites me)
-The pre-match gathering at Shoeless Joe's
-Helping out with the flags and banners
-The walk down to the stadium with fellow supporters and the initial glimpse of BMO Field as we exit the GO Tunnel
-Holding up my scarf proudly as the anthem plays
-Supporting from the stands (visual/vocal)
-Being able to see the players/run of play up close

Pretty much the entire experience. For 90 minutes, any problems in life go on the back burner and all that matters is what is happening in front of me.

liv4evr
04-17-2012, 10:00 AM
To me it's the build up to game day and the experience of the day! Getting the guys together and making the journey to Joes for the pre game (lately this has been the best part :drinking:). Sitting at Joes watching/talking football, then walking to BMO, watching the game and then the ride home on the GO discussing the match. it's the complete day of it that I love. The social event, the feeling that we belong to something even if the team isn't winning right now...or maybe never.

cherono
04-17-2012, 11:10 AM
Yeah, it's the whole day for me too. Meeting friends at pubs, the atmospere increasing as you get closer to the ground and the mass joy of a goal. I really thought the Santos game this year was special - add in the fact that the players looked as though they were buzzing too (not to mention a nice scrum at the end), great time!

And one strange point: I also like games during the Indy - when those gates go up around the course, they do a great job of "kettling" people through the GO station underpass, which is usually a complete clusterf**k.

SuperTCP
04-17-2012, 11:40 AM
Watching Live Pro Soccer in Canada. Especially with family, friends, and relatives (and thosands of other TFC Fans) that also enjoy the beautiful game.

Huyton
04-17-2012, 01:42 PM
Game Day arriving and holding my scarf high
Singing O Canada under a blue sky
Seeing TFC led by Torsten Frings
These are a few of my favourite things

Standing and singing with fans in my section
Chanting Who Are You at the opposition
Seeing Joao Plata run down the left wing.

Eckersleys tackles and inch perfect passes
Singing for Danny, who showed us what class is
Our forwards who play like the balls on a string

When we're scored on
Or the teams lost
When I'm feeling sad,
I simply remember my favourite things
And then I don't feel so bad

cmonyoureds
04-17-2012, 01:43 PM
Took my 6 month old to her first game against Chivas. Best BMO experience yet.

Abou Sky
04-17-2012, 03:22 PM
Game Day arriving and holding my scarf high
Singing O Canada under a blue sky
Seeing TFC led by Torsten Frings

Standing and singing with fans in my section
Chanting Who Are You at the opposition
Seeing Joao Plata run down the left wing.

Eckersleys tackles and inch perfect passes
Singing for Danny, who showed us what class is
Our forwards who play like the balls on a string

When we're scored on
Or the teams lost
When I'm feeling sad,
I simply remember my favourite things
And then I don't feel so bad

We're dressing you up like a woman and making a youtube video!

That was awesome by the way, I am going to have it stuck in my head.

Huyton
04-17-2012, 03:47 PM
Did that once for a hallowe'en many years ago.

Still trying to hunt down the pictures and destroy them.

Just to keep humanity safe.

I am forever grateful that phones didn't have cameras in them at the time.

Perhaps it could be recorded at the tailgate on Saturday...

Minus the transvestitism.

rowjimi
04-17-2012, 03:55 PM
Sky thanks for starting this. I am 5 year plus into this and through good and bad have made every possible game because I just love game day. I plug all home dates into my calendar and work my schedule around BMO. Vacations are worked around 2 week away trips or they start after a home game. Outside of the game itself the thing I love the most is the energy the supporters sections bring to each and every game day. I am not in one of those sections yet but I watch with much admiration of the passion and commitment. Thank you.

I would also love a few more goals but that is for another thread.:scarf:

tfcocd
04-17-2012, 08:01 PM
I love the anticipation starting a few days before the game & building. No matter how the last game was, I always look forward to the next one. I love the bike ride to (and back from) BMO, 7 1/2 km all the way through the back streets & parks of Toronto, awesome. Or when the weather's bad, the ride in my door-to-door limo, Bus 63, seeing other TFC fans & often chatting on the way home. I love coming into the stadium, seeing the awesome green of the pitch, and the view of downtown & the islands from Section 225 -- where I've got some great neighbours. I love "Three Little Birds" & the other songs playing pre-game. And I often even like the footy. Finally seeing some better passing, some give & go's, some nice runs & crosses, some movement off the ball, etc. (Still not enough of all the above -- but more than we used to see.) When all that finally produces some goals again, I'll like that even more!

Settling into the seats with a beer rain or shine. Especially enjoyable on those summer evenings when the temperature is perfect and I have arrived early enough to watch the boys going through the warm up drills. And of course those fleeting in game moments of quality, ones we hope to see more and more of, that help fuel the dream of TFC football.

Abou Sky
04-17-2012, 08:18 PM
I like pointing out to my son that they do the same drills as he does. Always try to get there early, I love watching the stands fill up.

Kooper
04-17-2012, 08:32 PM
Lately I have started to yell out awful things but in a really polite manner.

"I belive you to be a poor keeper."

"Your weight seems to be hampering you saving the ball."

"I believe your wife frequents the beds of other men!!"

"There are some pies missing. Have you seen them?"

"Your inability to stay on your feet makes it look like there was a foul. When we all know there wasn't."

They are stupid, they are funny, they are long winded and they are something to break the tedium of shutout soccer.

Abou Sky
04-17-2012, 08:37 PM

"Your inability to stay on your feet makes it look like there was a foul. When we all know there wasn't."

They are stupid, they are funny, they are long winded and they are something to break the tedium of shutout soccer.

You just made me burst out laughing in a hospital... Classy guy I am!

(wife fell over the bright yellow rebound box in our backyard)

Detroit_TFC
04-17-2012, 09:03 PM
More than once in TO, strangers on the street or driving by have asked me the results of the game just because they see me wearing the shirt. I love that.

Also,

Seeing all the people in red in Liberty Village before games, it's one of the reasons I like to get into town early.

Derko
04-17-2012, 09:16 PM

Agreed 100%

Derko
04-17-2012, 09:18 PM
And I love being a supporter, and by the way, this is a great thread.

Cheers to all

ManUtd4ever
04-17-2012, 10:44 PM
I love the reaction of the crowd after TFC scores a goal on home soil.

I miss that feeling. g:D

Code Red
04-17-2012, 10:44 PM

LOL. This one's my favourite.

glaze
04-17-2012, 10:46 PM
I love the Ex. I go two or three times each year, and the "Ex game" is by far my favourite of the year, regardless of opponent. So being on the grounds always brings back great memories. I don't think my enjoyment of games would be the same if BMO was located out in the burbs. Though if that revamped Varsity happened as planned years ago, that probably would have been a really cool gameday experience as well.
Even though this is only my second year, the routine is already set. Pre drinks at a friends, with a couple roadies for the walk through liberty village. Walking into the stadium, and hearing the stomping from under those metal bleachers is always cool. As is that first beer purchase.
Favourite cheer by far is when the reds go marching on to victory, late in the game, when we're winning, and the crowd from 113-110 is all jumping up and down really getting into it.
We've had a rough start, but we'll get there again.

Cashcleaner
04-18-2012, 01:30 AM

You need to post more often, Kooper!

Kooper
04-18-2012, 10:58 AM
You need to post more often, Kooper!

These are funny and I yell them out often but only the few around me can hear them. We need a whole section in unison to scream:

"I question the quality of your play!!"

"Your left back seemed quite friendly with your wife last night!"

"We belive that you are not actually hurt and probably faking it!"

"You have been "hurt" for so long perhaps you are dead?"

"Were your parents were married when you were born!"

"Hey Landon, we don't like you very much!"

"Your mother may have been paid by men for special hugs!"

Or maybe just a bunch of bristol boards with some of these chants written out. TFC management would probably complain about some of them (Special hugs?) but how could they banish them. They are all PG rated.

Kooper
04-18-2012, 11:00 AM
You just made me burst out laughing in a hospital... Classy guy I am!

(wife fell over the bright yellow rebound box in our backyard)

after a dive

"You seem to have the balance of Sky's wife!!"

For real I do hope she is ok. Not like the Santos Laguna guys who fell all over the place.

Abou Sky
04-18-2012, 11:59 AM
after a dive

"You seem to have the balance of Sky's wife!!"

For real I do hope she is ok. Not like the Santos Laguna guys who fell all over the place.

Concussion, some of the highlights of the visit:

Me: "She has blurred vision and is slurring her speach"
Doctor: "Is that normal for her?"

Me: "She fell over a rebound box and hit her head on the edge of a retaining wall"
Doctor: "Oh, how is your backyard landscaped?" <-yes, for real
Doctor: "what is a rebound box?"
Me: "it is a thing for soccer"
Doctor: "do you play a lot of soccer?" <-wtf does that matter?

Doctor: "how bad is your headache from 1-10?"
Wife: "10"
Doctor: "10 would be the worst not the best, is it still a 10?"

Doctor: "Do you want something for the pain or do you want to just deal with it?"

Bunch more but I will digress.

bigredone
04-18-2012, 12:04 PM
The sense of community from TFC fans! The celebrating, the joking, the yelling. The goofy behviour that is acceptable because football rocks.
I have had a TFC scarf in my window for sometime now and love all the random honks (but I want more!) On game day I get a good fill!

ComedyOfErrors
04-19-2012, 12:05 PM
- Being at the game with my brother...we are both in our 50's but it is a second childhood. He is AWESOME!
- Belonging to a supporter's group...we may not always agree but the dialogue is worth it
- It is the beautiful game and should be watched live with passion and the hope, even when we are down...
- The only place my singing voice is truly 'appreciated' - I can't sing an f*n note...but I am loud.
- Witty comments to opposing players...my personal favourite -"YOU FAT BASTARD!"....and 'Douchebag' echo
- Ragging on ML$E.
-ROADTRIPS

Chinatownchef
04-19-2012, 04:08 PM
I like the TFC staff that are after the security. The people that are friendly and help direct you to your seats and make yo feel better after some lunk heads in security are rough handling your possessions. I'm in the East side stands near the north gate, so I like coming down every once and a while and getting good service from the snack bar and beer line. I currently in love the new chip butty poutine, don't ever change that.

Mark in Ottawa
04-19-2012, 04:24 PM
I like the TFC staff that are after the security. The people that are friendly and help direct you to your seats and make yo feel better after some lunk heads in security are rough handling your possessions.

^^ +1 to that. The staff at the base of sections 110 & 111 have been great and having to put up with the 75 Mile Bastards well ... that is saying something isn't it g:D

king dave
04-19-2012, 04:41 PM
Yeah, it's me.
TFC was a life changing experience for me.
And this is why.
Having spent the last 5 years meeting/working/co-habiting/traveling/drinking/dancing BUT NO HANKY PANKY etc. with so many people of a like mind really takes you down a long winding road.
And that road has endured as I still maintain a great relationship with all since year one.
You are all part of my family and as an only child (yeah, yeah, yeah) the best thing is going to a game and seeing all of you.
Like I have always said the most important part of and football club is
It's supporters!
KD.

Yohan
04-19-2012, 05:31 PM
I love the fact that despite our differences, backgrounds, wealth, social status, age, whatever, we all dream and hope for the same thing in tfc

Razcle
04-19-2012, 07:56 PM
I love the blood, sweat and tears that go with being a supporter of a football club with the hope of glory sometime in the not too distant future. And I love the live interaction with the match and with all you lot.