PDA

View Full Version : Saturday April 21 3.30pm vs Chicago pregame

ensco
04-14-2012, 06:47 PM
Here's what I want to see at BMO next Saturday:

The Clasico. Real Madrid-Barca. On the big screen.

I couldn't give seats away to this game if I tried, so this is the only way to catch a great game in the fresh air at BMO.

Rene Kingsriver
04-14-2012, 07:09 PM
Here's what I want to see at BMO next Saturday:

The Clasico. Real Madrid-Barca. On the big screen.

I couldn't give seats away to this game if I tried, so this is the only way to catch a great game in the fresh air at BMO.

Shit I didn't check the schedule, guess I'll be getting into BMO late

Richard
04-14-2012, 08:14 PM
Thats what i want to see
Ecks---Henry---Cann---Aceval
-------------Frings--------------
--------Avila------Burgos-------
Johnson----Koev------Soolsma

ecospice
04-15-2012, 02:22 PM
I think this is our best lineup right now. Looking forward to yelling Piss on the Fire!

-------------Kocic----------------
Ecks---Henry---Cann---Morgan
--------Avila------Silva----------

ryan
04-15-2012, 02:43 PM
Im probably just gonna burn my tickets. I'd donate them using that option or whatever, but I think it's meaner to give them away than not at this point.

Oldtimer
04-15-2012, 02:46 PM
TFC will win or tie this game. It will be a very different team with Frings playing.

Abou Sky
04-15-2012, 03:54 PM
I think this is our best lineup right now. Looking forward to yelling Piss on the Fire!

--------------Kocic-------------
Frings---Frings---Frings---Frings
--------Frings------Frings----------
Frings----Frings------Frings

Island Man
04-15-2012, 04:22 PM
This will be my first ever TFC game, flying over from England to see it! Hopefully I bring some luck.

MartinUtd
04-15-2012, 04:23 PM
Will we see Dan Gargen?

Suds
04-15-2012, 04:30 PM
This will be my first ever TFC game, flying over from England to see it! Hopefully I bring some luck.

Well, it can't get much worse.:) Welcome and enjoy the game.

If you're down at BMO early pop by the the RPB tailgate and say hi. We're in the east parking lot of BMO until 2:30 PM.

Island Man
04-15-2012, 05:05 PM
Well, it can't get much worse.:) Welcome and enjoy the game.

If you're down at BMO early pop by the the RPB tailgate and say hi. We're in the east parking lot of BMO until 2:30 PM.

Thanks :) Still really looknig forward to it despite the awful start.

Yeah will try and make that for sure!

maxpower
04-16-2012, 05:06 AM
There is absolutely no way we are losing this game. We are getting frings back, and with how well Doneil played on Saturday I think he will be introduced to the starting lineup and Winter will be less inclined to make Frings that incredibly stupid thing where he drops into the back-line when defending. And with the amount of talent we have going forward its hard to imagine our recent goalscoring woes are nothing more than a blip.

__wowza
04-16-2012, 08:06 AM
im predicting goals-a-plenty for TFC. 4-1.

Rene Kingsriver
04-16-2012, 08:22 AM
Surprised no one's mentione dthe parallels with 2007, longest losing run in our history, hadn't scored a home goal all season. What we need is a giveaway at the gates, that will guarantee a win

Canary10
04-16-2012, 08:28 AM
Surprised no one's mentione dthe parallels with 2007, longest losing run in our history, hadn't scored a home goal all season. What we need is a giveaway at the gates, that will guarantee a win

I've been finding my ass is getting really sore sitting in those seats the entire game with nothing to get up and cheer for. I for one could really use a seat cushion.

Stouffville_RPB
04-16-2012, 08:31 AM
I think this is our best lineup right now.

I was write this exact post. Thanks for saving me the trouble.

Stouffville_RPB
04-16-2012, 08:33 AM

You know that if TFC win you aren't allowed to leave the city right. ;)

TFC USA
04-16-2012, 11:07 AM
Chicago 3-0.

I genuinely believe this team could go well into May without a win.

Roogsy
04-16-2012, 11:17 AM
I think it will be a draw. 1-1.

If someone wins, I will give the advantage to TFC, 2-1. We are hungrier for that win, and dammit it has to come sometime right? A broken clock is right twice a day.

My real worry is RSL.

Waggy
04-16-2012, 11:37 AM
Hey, if anyone wants to give away tickets holler a PM haha.

Frings coming back, a week of fans, media and ownership questioning the club and personnel, if TFC has any heart, ANY heart, this will be one of the better games we've ever played. The inverse though, to quote a great sign: Win, you must.

nickio
04-16-2012, 11:38 AM
I have a strong feeling that if Toronto scores and scores first, it's over for Chicago.

There is a trainload of goals waiting to be unleashed for Toronto.

If they don't score (FIRST) by the end of 1st half, I think we'll see much more of the same old.

Nuvinho
04-16-2012, 11:52 AM
I say Dichio and Edu score for TFC vs. Chicago

but what's really going to happen is that Dan Gargan will score against us again!

Ultra & Proud
04-16-2012, 01:20 PM
------Avila------Johnson----------
Plata-----Koev------Soolsma

Waggy
04-16-2012, 01:24 PM
------Avila------Johnson----------
Plata-----Koev------Soolsma

And the season finally starts. Now we can see what we've really got. Just seeing that lineup has me half mast

Roogsy
04-16-2012, 01:25 PM
There is a trainload of goals waiting to be unleashed for Toronto.

It's like not having sex for a week....

You know what happens when she starts taking off her clothes right? :lol: :hump:

Suds
04-16-2012, 01:50 PM
It's like not having sex for a week....

You know what happens when she starts taking off her clothes right? :lol: :hump:

15 seconds of sheer pleasure then the best sleep ever! g:D

trane
04-16-2012, 01:57 PM
All we are saying is give us a win.

I will tell you what the old fashioned Italian plan would be, defend, defend, defend, and then defend some more, then have Danny K dive for a penalty. JUST WIN BABY.

But with our luck, in the 89 minute Harden would start looking at the score board, while their forward runs in the box untouched, then while running back to catch up deflect the ball past Kocic, and then the next play JDG, would pull a player down with two hands right in front of the ref, for a penalty.

Suds
04-16-2012, 02:09 PM

I will tell you what the old fashioned Italian plan would be, defend, defend, defend, and then defend some more, then have Danny K dive for a penalty. JUST WIN BABY.

But with our luck, in the 89 minute Harden would start looking at the score board, while their forward runs in the box untouched, then while running back to catch up deflect the ball past Kocic, and then the next play JDG, would pull a player down with two hands right in front of the ref, for a penalty.

Yeah, at this stage I just want some points. Good, bad, or ugly.

Roogsy
04-16-2012, 02:49 PM

AHA! SO YOU ADMIT IT! I KNEW IT! :lol:

Huyton
04-16-2012, 02:56 PM
[QUOTE=Roogsy;1474247]It's like not having sex for a week....QUOTE]

A week? I wish it was only a week.

After all, I'm married.

mdc 77
04-16-2012, 03:12 PM
Interesting scheduling, Marlies play game 2 of their first round playoff series this Saturday 3pm @ Ricoh.

trane
04-16-2012, 03:12 PM
AHA! SO YOU ADMIT IT! I KNEW IT! :lol:

I always admitted it, I just do not think it is such a bad thing. It is an art, both defending and diving.

19Barrett19
04-16-2012, 06:31 PM
When this goal scoring slump is over TFC are going to score a lot of goals. The chances they create are really good I do feel like there is a curse on this team right now but all in all when frings comes back and we play cann and henry even aceval keep haren on the bench until Williams is ready, then harden will be playing in reserve matches only. DeGuzman needed to be benched to realize if he doesn't step up against the fire his ass is gone sooner then later, i am glad that winter realized that Deguz needs frings in the line up to perform up to par as does Harden. Goals will come boys goals will come a plenty. line up for Sat...
----------------------Kocic---------------------
Ecks-------Henry------------Cann---------Morgan
--------------------Frings----------------------
---------Deguz-------------Silva----------------
Johnson---------Koev-----------------Plata

Subs:
Roberts
Aceval
Stinson
Dunfield
Soolsma
Lambe
Avila

4-0 TFC if not i'll get a sex change!

Island Man
04-16-2012, 06:39 PM
Like the line up 19Barrett19 would just swap Johnson and Plata and take Plata out for Soolsma or Lambe.

ensco
04-16-2012, 06:46 PM
Great. Chicago picks up Rolfe and he's eligible Saturday.

http://www.chicago-fire.com/news/2012/04/fire-reacquire-forward-chris-rolfe

How the hell did this happen? Why didn't Rolfe go through the allocation process?

Suds
04-16-2012, 07:05 PM
Great. Chicago picks up Rolfe and he's eligible Saturday.

http://www.chicago-fire.com/news/2012/04/fire-reacquire-forward-chris-rolfe

How the hell did this happen? Why didn't Rolfe go through the allocation process?

I'm guessing Chicago retained his MLS rights??

Dv23
04-16-2012, 07:54 PM
Anybody remember the guy from England who chose TFC as his home MLS team (because it was the closest MLS team to his town)? Does he still write about us, or no?

narduch
04-16-2012, 07:56 PM
I'm guessing Chicago retained his MLS rights??

I thought that was only for a few years?

Maybe they had a discovery claim on him?

Abou Sky
04-16-2012, 08:28 PM
DK is 'off' he has had a serious run of poor luck coupled with shaky service.

Soon as he gets into his groove we are good to go.

Go DK!

glaze
04-16-2012, 11:13 PM
game is on NBC, perhaps some of our players will step up.

mowe
04-16-2012, 11:39 PM
Anybody remember the guy from England who chose TFC as his home MLS team (because it was the closest MLS team to his town)? Does he still write about us, or no?
He's done, sounds like he got a new job and doesn't have the time anymore. http://jimmystone.wordpress.com/

Did not know this game was on NBCSN, is that a recent change? I don't remember seeing TFC when looking at the schedule way back when. Too bad there's going to be tons of empty seats, doesn't look too good for Toronto.

narduch
04-17-2012, 05:40 AM
game is on NBC, perhaps some of our players will step up.

Not NBC, NBC Sports, the renamed Versus.

Abou Sky
04-17-2012, 08:48 AM
Can't hurt, hope you like Carlsberg :)

TFCwestcan
04-17-2012, 11:28 AM
When this goal scoring slump is over TFC are going to score a lot of goals. The chances they create are really good I do feel like there is a curse on this team right now but all in all when frings comes back and we play cann and henry even aceval keep haren on the bench until Williams is ready, then harden will be playing in reserve matches only. DeGuzman needed to be benched to realize if he doesn't step up against the fire his ass is gone sooner then later, i am glad that winter realized that Deguz needs frings in the line up to perform up to par as does Harden. Goals will come boys goals will come a plenty. line up for Sat...
----------------------Kocic---------------------
Ecks-------Henry------------Cann---------Morgan
--------------------Frings----------------------
---------Deguz-------------Silva----------------
Johnson---------Koev-----------------Plata

Subs:
Roberts
Aceval
Stinson
Dunfield
Soolsma
Lambe
Avila

4-0 TFC if not i'll get a sex change!

Not bad although another option would be to have Soolsma on for Plata (late sub) and Avila for Silva, I thought Avila had something to prove on Saturday and stepped up.

Code Red
04-17-2012, 01:12 PM
Not NBC, NBC Sports, the renamed Versus.

Let's bring it on Saturday boys and girls, BIG TIME!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-GxdchefcxIw/TXBXI4VAgsI/AAAAAAAAAdw/xtKVsGZ7YwI/s1600/sumo wrestler.jpg

Joe Kool
04-17-2012, 01:13 PM
Not bad although another option would be to have Soolsma on for Plata (late sub) and Avila for Silva, I though Avila had something to prove on Saturday and stepped up.

Avila definitely added the energy to the 2nd half that was lacking a bit in the 1st without him. Definitely looked like he was trying to earn his spot. I would like to see him start over Silva in the Chicago game.

DoubleUp
04-17-2012, 01:27 PM
------------------Kocic------------------
Ecks-------Cann-----Henry-----Morgan
-----------------Frings-------------------
-----Soolsma------------Silva------------
Avila------------koev-----------Johnson

Something like this...

Suds
04-17-2012, 01:38 PM

Something like this...

I think I'd switch Soolsma and Avila, but I like that line-up. It's a young back line though with Morgan & Henry. They are doing very well but they are still young in terms of experienced defenders and could be prone to a mistake or two. With Rolfe likely seeing action this weekend a couple young defenders might be just what he needs to make an impact for Chicago.

Island Man
04-17-2012, 02:18 PM
Soolsma still a doubt for the match.

Code Red
04-17-2012, 02:49 PM
High of 5c and rain (80%). 10-15mm precipitation.

Meh, the usual.

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/city/pages/on-143_metric_e.html

nfitz
04-17-2012, 04:21 PM
That's a lot of rain and quite cold. We only got 15.6 mm of rain the entire month of March. And only 6 mm this month so far.

But it's still 4 days away - forecast could change significantly before then.

iy12l
04-17-2012, 05:25 PM
I think everyone is forgetting Emory is back so i think him and Cann will be in the backline. Doneil would most likely get subbed on for his good performance last game.

spe18
04-17-2012, 05:59 PM
That's a lot of rain and quite cold. We only got 15.6 mm of rain the entire month of March. And only 6 mm this month so far.

Yes, it can indeed change day by day. IIRC, it said yesterday they were expecting no more then 1 or 2 mm of rain on Saturday!

There's that old saying, April showers bring May flowers :taz:

Code Red
04-17-2012, 10:11 PM

10-15mm is for the 24-hr period... but yeah... still a lot for one day. Let's hope the forecast does change or else it'll be another wet one.

Abou Sky
04-17-2012, 11:22 PM
Avila definitely added the energy to the 2nd half that was lacking a bit in the 1st without him. Definitely looked like he was trying to earn his spot. I would like to see him start over Silva in the Chicago game.

If Avila's twitter acct and interview are any indication he is working his ass of to start, I love his work, we need more players trying to prove themselves.

I think that is why I like Eck so much, he seems like he is always trying to prove that ManU and Burnley were stupid to let him go.

Lucky for us, they did!

Oldtimer
04-18-2012, 06:37 AM
TFC has tends to do best in bad weather. I remember a few impressive wins during stormy weather.

nfitz
04-18-2012, 06:58 AM
TFC has tends to do best in bad weather. I remember a few impressive wins during stormy weather.That end-of-season game in New York in 2009 comes to mind. As does our standing in our two rain-outs last year, before the game was called.

We've gone from yesterday's forecast of a high of 5° and 10-15 mm to today's of 10° and close to 5 mm. The forecast doesn't mean a heck of a lot until 48-hours before hand.

Oldtimer
04-18-2012, 07:02 AM
^ true, there were a few stinkers in bad weather, too.

denime
04-18-2012, 10:44 AM

Something like this...

Soolsma ----Koev------Johnson

Avila is not a winger, just switch Avila and Soolsma.

Keep JDG,Harden and Dunfield in the change room,no need for them to be on the bench we have better players than them on our roster.

KGH
04-18-2012, 10:54 AM

I like this line up as well but Soolsma is still listed as "Out" on the injury report with a hammy issue. I imagine Plata or Lambe to slot in there instead

KGH
04-18-2012, 10:56 AM
Injury report as of Tuesday:
CHICAGO FIRE -- OUT: MF Steven Kinney (R posterior tibialis tendinitis); DF Cory Gibbs (R knee meniscus tear)

TORONTO FC -- OUT: FW Nicholas Lindsay (L knee surgery recovery); DF Dicoy Williams (R knee surgery recovery); DF Jeremy Hall (sports hernia surgery recovery); GK Stefan Frei (L lower leg); MF Nick Soolsma (L hamstring strain); PROBABLE: MF Torsten Frings (R hamstring strain)

TFCwestcan
04-18-2012, 11:56 AM
Wow, no one has even mention JDG as a potential contributor this weekend. He just might be worth a gamble as he has had some of his better games partnered up with Frings. Looks like Soolsma is out for the weekend, that is one player who has slowly gotten better and better to the point his absence is missed.

Has anyone seem a Fire game this year enough to offer any opinions on that team. I imagine that Frings likely knows Freidrich.

DoubleUp
04-18-2012, 12:50 PM

Avila is not a winger, just switch Avila and Soolsma.

Keep JDG,Harden and Dunfield in the change room,no need for them to be on the bench we have better players than them on our roster.

Its a innovative move, I think would provide more for the team in winger role, crossing, pressing with intensity and helping the right side create(think of have avila playing a barcelona winger role) . While soolsma imo opinion is better in a central midfield role stonger and much more composed under pressure( Avila gives away the ball in deep areas....that I noticed! by rewatching some of his games, constantly muscled off the ball) soolsma with his service and late runs(watch LA second leg again single handedly destroyed them).

Yes I know traditionally he is not winger(Avila) (even though Mls is more loose with player positioning) but I really believe thats something we should try especially with the personnel in the formation i posted.

I think a midfield 3 of -----Frings-------
----------------------Soolsma----Silva-----

Is strong, technical and more capable of providing steel in the middle and shielding the backline without sacrificing creativity.

Soolsma in a winger role imo is an overall waste of his true talent and a quick fix measure, not a studied one. I encourage anyone to rewatch LA second leg or any game in general where soolsma plays in the midfield(deep)especially RM, he is a silent assain and more influential with his passing.

but until soolsma returns, wont matter.

Abou Sky
04-18-2012, 01:02 PM
Wow, no one has even mention JDG as a potential contributor this weekend. He just might be worth a gamble as he has had some of his better games partnered up with Frings. Looks like Soolsma is out for the weekend, that is one player who has slowly gotten better and better to the point his absence is missed.

Has anyone seem a Fire game this year enough to offer any opinions on that team. I imagine that Frings likely knows Freidrich.

Not a full game, but their defense looks far worse than ours and they don't have a star missing as an excuse:

http://www.chicago-fire.com/video/2012/04/03/highlights-fire-0-rapids-2

Their first string keeper is back from U23 USMNT duty but if their defense plays like that against us we should be alright.

Hopefully we can meet some Chicago fans at the bbq, I have heard they are mostly really great guys. (never heard a bad thing about them)

mcolvy
04-19-2012, 12:03 AM
I think a midfield 3 of -----Frings-------
----------------------Soolsma----Silva-----

Is strong, technical and more capable of providing steel in the middle and shielding the backline without sacrificing creativity.

Soolsma in a winger role imo is an overall waste of his true talent and a quick fix measure, not a studied one. I encourage anyone to rewatch LA second leg or any game in general where soolsma plays in the midfield(deep)especially RM, he is a silent assain and more influential with his passing.

but until soolsma returns, wont matter.

Im going to have to disagree. Soolsma is not a waste of talent on the wing. He is a winger. I don't know what you mean by "quick fix measure"? He grew up playing the wing and has mastered being able to cross with his bad foot (right), to be an effective winger...
I don't think you realize, but Soolsma does not have the tools to be a midfielder. He lacks lateral quickness and is way to weak on the ball. He is a crap shoot at winning back possession of the ball. He will not be effective in both winning a ball and cutting down passing lanes. He also doesn't have the agility to quickly pivot, whereas he is a threat to move the ball everywhere (in playing AM), it would fail the same way Santos did at that position. Not being able to pass the ball every which direction.

All I know is i don't want my midfielder to be "Silent". You are underestimating the value of creativity on the wings. And thats what you see in him. not precision passing, but rather an eye for some creativity. Mark my words, Soolsma in the midfield was a quick fix, the same thing you claimed for him being a winger. It was a temporary thing to get the personnel Winter wanted, onto the field at the same time.

DoubleUp
04-19-2012, 02:26 AM
Im going to have to disagree. Soolsma is not a waste of talent on the wing. He is a winger. I don't know what you mean by "quick fix measure"? He grew up playing the wing and has mastered being able to cross with his bad foot (right), to be an effective winger...
I don't think you realize, but Soolsma does not have the tools to be a midfielder. He lacks lateral quickness and is way to weak on the ball. He is a crap shoot at winning back possession of the ball. He will not be effective in both winning a ball and cutting down passing lanes. He also doesn't have the agility to quickly pivot, whereas he is a threat to move the ball everywhere (in playing AM), it would fail the same way Santos did at that position. Not being able to pass the ball every which direction.

All I know is i don't want my midfielder to be "Silent". You are underestimating the value of creativity on the wings. And thats what you see in him. not precision passing, but rather an eye for some creativity. Mark my words, Soolsma in the midfield was a quick fix, the same thing you claimed for him being a winger. It was a temporary thing to get the personnel Winter wanted, onto the field at the same time.

I disagree! Soolsma is often in our midfield(very creative centrally) and skates tackles often in confined spaces. His passing is very sharp ,Santos failed because he was solely left footed.

your best claim is his defensive ability.

Oldtimer
04-19-2012, 06:54 AM
I'm going to call this game either a 2-1 win or a 2-2 draw.

ag futbol
04-19-2012, 08:19 AM
I keep thinking back to the Seattle game, where we played pretty well despite losing . IF we could expand on that in a few ways I think it'd be a solid lineup. I remember Frings playing sweeper (just about) and Aceval playing in front of him almost like a defensive mid. I think his stay-at-home nature will be to our favor despite his lack of speed. Dunfield gets caught out of position too often and other options just don't provide any defense. JDG gets the call back because he looked much better with Frings on the field. Silva and Plata as sub options, neither have been consistent or effective enough to start IMO. Morgan over Emory as the idea is for the backs to get up field and for Aceval to provide cover.

4-2-3-1

-----------Koevermans---------
Johnston------Avila--------Soolsma
----------Aceval-----JDG----------------
Morgan-------Cann----Frings--------Ecks
-----------------Kocic----------------------

KRO
04-19-2012, 10:18 AM
I am assuming that Soolsma is not fit and that JDG has had his ass kicked by sitting on the bench and will be back this week. Silva is a great prospect but Avila looked sharper when he came on last week.

--------Avila------JDG----------
Johnson ----Koev------Plata

iy12l
04-19-2012, 03:39 PM
I am assuming that Soolsma is not fit and that JDG has had his ass kicked by sitting on the bench and will be back this week. Silva is a great prospect but Avila looked sharper when he came on last week.

--------Avila------JDG----------
Johnson ----Koev------Plata

I know Doneil had a good game last week but im 99% sure Emory will start. Doneil will most likely get subbed on

moralis
04-19-2012, 05:10 PM
Chicago Fire defender Dan Gargan's view on TFC and interesting comments about Aron Winter's entrance into MLS:

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives...th-chicago.html (http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2012/04/mls-spotlight-ex-tfc-defender-gargan-right-at-home-with-chicago.html)

Gargan enjoyed a career season with Toronto after signing in March 2010 under then-coach Preki, starting 25 games while notching a goal and four assists. But the subsequent offseason, Toronto brought in former Dutch international and Ajax assistant Aron Winter to lead the club.

As Winter implemented the Netherlands' iconic "total football" philosophy, he quickly began the process of turning over the Toronto roster in search of players who best fit his system.

"When they brought in the new coaching staff, they had a different plan, and it was difficult to adjust to it," Gargan recalled. "I think they came in with a bit of an arrogance and disrespect toward the league. It's a tough league, and there are a lot of good players in the league. I don't think that they gave that enough credit."

Gargan started nine games for Toronto last year before he was, as part of the club's summer fire sale, sent to Chicago with a second-round pick for defender Dasan Robinson. Toronto, meanwhile, ultimately finished 6-13-15 in 2011, and the team is 0-5-0 to start this season.

"It was kind of two polar opposites with them coming in, with them on one side and this league on the other," Gargan said. "It's a league unlike any other, in terms of the traveling and the parity, and there are a lot of different things I don't think they took into enough account.

"But it's OK. It's in the past. ... They're definitely not a bad team, and I'd like to say that, aside from this weekend, hopefully they find their stride."

Klinsmann
04-19-2012, 07:59 PM
Does anyone know if the German centerback Arne Friedrich signed as a DP for Chicago?
I think he will be playing for Chicago this weekend (he played his first game for Chicago in their last match).
If not, why didn't Frings ask him to sign with Toronto!!!!!!!

http://nimgs3.s3.amazonaws.com/sports/thumbnailfull/b73af9da7c2c403081a5e0f5b29348dc-b73af9da7c2c403081a5e0f5b29348dc-2.jpg

Red CB Toronto
04-19-2012, 08:17 PM
He was hurt and was released because of it, the last thing TFC needed was spending money on damaged goods, Arne is known in international circles for holding the Germam record for most caps without a goal, 76.

KGH
04-19-2012, 08:28 PM
He was hurt and was released because of it, the last thing TFC needed was spending money on damaged goods, Arne is known in international circles for holding the Germam record for most caps without a goal, 76.

And considering we have no cap room I doubt he'd play for free.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-19-2012, 10:01 PM
dont think he is and he is old and slooooooow but can make up for it with technique and placement. havent watched him tho so cant say whether he has

Jack
04-19-2012, 10:32 PM
I'd like to have a look at Aceval at LB. Morgan's crossing makes baby Jesus cry.

Auzzy
04-19-2012, 10:37 PM
I don't know what happened to Morgan's crosses. I remember his first few games for the 1st team, they were actually quite good, and you think he would improve with time. I think he also got an assist for the CMNT with a cross. But lately he's been way off.

I'm worried about Aceval's (lack of) speed as a fullback. Depends who Chicago plays on the right wing.

Jack
04-19-2012, 10:54 PM
Yeah, there is that, but man...Morgan has really been hoofing them lately. I wonder if teams are just pressuring him more often, which is giving him less time. I'll have to watch more closely.

mcolvy
04-19-2012, 11:18 PM
I keep thinking back to the Seattle game, where we played pretty well despite losing . IF we could expand on that in a few ways I think it'd be a solid lineup. I remember Frings playing sweeper (just about) and Aceval playing in front of him almost like a defensive mid. I think his stay-at-home nature will be to our favor despite his lack of speed. Dunfield gets caught out of position too often and other options just don't provide any defense. JDG gets the call back because he looked much better with Frings on the field. Silva and Plata as sub options, neither have been consistent or effective enough to start IMO. Morgan over Emory as the idea is for the backs to get up field and for Aceval to provide cover.

4-2-3-1

Uh.. You do realize Aceval is and was playing CB right? He just might come across as a midfielder because he is more interested in attack then defense. He looks sluggish all game on the backend. Never pushing full tilt... but the second he has some space to move forward he's jolting. Hell even when we win a free kick close. He gets to the spot faster then he's ever chased down a striker....

boozilla
04-19-2012, 11:21 PM
Bit of a "must win" scenario. Frings playing higher could take some pressure off the defenders., but who knows what Winter is thinking.

denime
04-20-2012, 05:47 AM

4-2-3-1

Soolsma is out,Aceval is not a midfielder and JDG is retired since 2009. ;)

I would keep JDG on the bench and Frings to play DM.

Detroit_TFC
04-20-2012, 07:59 AM
I would like to see how Frings return affects Aceval's play, so for that reason only I'd like to see him start.

------------Kocic-------------
Ecks - Aceval - Cann - Morgan
-----------Frings-------------
--------Avila - Silva----------
--Johnson - Danny K - Plata*-

*obviously should be Soolsma but he is out for this game.

ag futbol
04-20-2012, 08:10 AM
Soolsma is out,Aceval is not a midfielder and JDG is retired since 2009. ;)

I would keep JDG on the bench and Frings to play DM.
Oh I totally understand that, but I'd point out that with the way the 4-3-3 is played by many teams your defensive mid is practically a defender because he moves backwards to cover as opposed to move forward. When we played Seattle he was often playing directly in front of Frings who was sweeping. I'd keep Frings in the backline because that's where we need him the most and to be frank when we had other people back here we'd just be dragging Frings back to that area in anycase because they can't move the ball forward. Also, he may be effective but he's hot the fastest player around anymore and was forced into making a lot of tactical fouls when he was DM last year. My lasting impression of him at that spot will still be Brek Shea beating him to the ball and scoring that goal at BMO last year. Not saying he's a terrible player by any stretch, and he could certainly survive at DM without hurting us, but he's more effective at CB at this point IMO. I know this comes off as a bit of cracked logic to have the two outside their natural spots and many of the problems I listed with Frings are worse for Aceval playing DM... but I'd say overall it just comes down to Frings offering more to the team as a defender than anywhere else on the field at this point.

I did not realize Soolsma was out, but if true Plata is the obvious choice to replace him.

brad
04-20-2012, 08:22 AM
I'd like to have a look at Aceval at LB. Morgan's crossing makes baby Jesus cry.

I spent some time on the MLS chalkboards last week, and the stats back this up. His passing is also really bad.

brad
04-20-2012, 08:24 AM
Bit of a "must win" scenario. Frings playing higher could take some pressure off the defenders., but who knows what Winter is thinking.

With Cann back and looking decent last game, I'd like to see Frings operating in the midfield in the space in front of them. I think that would be the best way to solidify the defense with the players we have today.

Jack
04-20-2012, 09:11 AM
I would like to see how Frings return affects Aceval's play, so for that reason only I'd like to see him start.

------------Kocic-------------
Ecks - Aceval - Cann - Morgan
-----------Frings-------------
--------Avila - Silva----------
--Johnson - Danny K - Plata*-

*obviously should be Soolsma but he is out for this game.
Aceval is left-footed, so you'd want to swap him and Cann.

My lineup would look like this:
-----------Kocic-------------
Ecks---Cann---Henry---Aceval
-------Frings----JDG----------
-----------Avila--------------
Plata-----------------Johnson
----------Koev---------------

My reasoning behind this is, JDG tends to play better alongside Frings and, goddammit, we're paying DP salary for him so he'd better come back after that benching of last week and show he can still play. I really do think he has something to prove. My Aceval pick is due to that being his natural position and him shining there in the Chilean league. Morgan has him beat on athleticism, but I think, with JDG and Frings in the dual pivot DM role, that's more than enough cover for Aceval to get forward and do what he does best, which is get dangerous balls to the attackers. Avila because last game he showed he deserves a chance in that attacking midfield role. The front line should be self explanatory, given that Soolsma is hurt.

Subs would be: Silva for either Avila or JDG, depending on how things unfold, Emory for Henry (you could probably make a case for Emory starting, too) and then the third sub would really depend on the score and the flow of the game. If we are up late in the game, I could see Stinson coming in to shore up the midfield. If we need a goal late in the game, maybe you throw out Lambe in place of a more defensive player and move to a 3-4-3. If Aceval has a tough time, then you've got Morgan to bring out there for some late-game fresh young legs.

EDIT: I just realized my lineup looks very much like the typical Spanish tactics g:D with the doble pivote.

Canary10
04-20-2012, 09:13 AM
They better play with some sense of urgency right from the starting whistle. Kind of tired of them waiting until the last 15 minutes or so to really push, after already being a goal down.

KGH
04-20-2012, 09:52 AM
FUCK ME.

According to Larson Koev is injured and in street clothes today at practise.

Detroit_TFC
04-20-2012, 09:52 AM
Fucking hell. Danny K is injured. Apparently from something yesterday. Didn't dress for practice today. Really really need to get the shaman down to BMO Field and unhex that place.

Detroit_TFC
04-20-2012, 09:55 AM
Per Larson on the twitter, so far in practice: Frings in the back line. JDG, Stinson and Avila in the midfield

Jack
04-20-2012, 09:59 AM
The unfortunate reality of relying so heavily on older players :(

jaxul
04-20-2012, 10:07 AM
The unfortunate reality of relying so heavily on older players :(

....and not having enough depth. Injuries will happen and the teams with the most depth will survive in the end.

jloome
04-20-2012, 10:27 AM
Uh.. You do realize Aceval is and was playing CB right? He just might come across as a midfielder because he is more interested in attack then defense. He looks sluggish all game on the backend. Never pushing full tilt... but the second he has some space to move forward he's jolting. Hell even when we win a free kick close. He gets to the spot faster then he's ever chased down a striker....

No, he's only been a CB for the past two seasons. Before that he was a LB and an occasional winger, sometimes a holder.

Also, Soolsma is one of the better tacklers on our team and understands tactical movement because of his pedigree. He's also not a natural winger; he converted there from striker when he joined TFC. So playing centrally as a midfielder probably wouldn't be difficult for him.

To me, it would be a bit of a waste, as he's a better winger, due to his guile with the ball.

ag futbol
04-20-2012, 10:27 AM
Per Larson on the twitter, so far in practice: Frings in the back line. JDG, Stinson and Avila in the midfield
Sounds like an entirely reasonable choice IMO. That being said, Stinson will have to pick it up a few notches as he's looked sluggish so far this year.

DangerRed
04-20-2012, 10:28 AM
Hearing rumors that Koov is out after hurting self in training. Anyone hear the same?

ACSertL
04-20-2012, 10:31 AM
Does anyone know if the German centerback Arne Friedrich signed as a DP for Chicago?
I think he will be playing for Chicago this weekend (he played his first game for Chicago in their last match).
If not, why didn't Frings ask him to sign with Toronto!!!!!!!

http://nimgs3.s3.amazonaws.com/sports/thumbnailfull/b73af9da7c2c403081a5e0f5b29348dc-b73af9da7c2c403081a5e0f5b29348dc-2.jpg

From all that I've heard Friedrich is not on a DP contract. He would have looked pretty good in the TFC back line.

Jack
04-20-2012, 10:43 AM
....and not having enough depth. Injuries will happen and the teams with the most depth will survive in the end.
In MLS, DPs aren't really replaceable by depth players. It's not like you can keep someone on the bench who can step up to replace a DP striker and expect the same quality, or even close to the same quality. Our whole league lacks depth, but TFC in particular is not deep.

Cashcleaner
04-20-2012, 11:51 AM
The Fire is coming off a 1-1 draw against Houston at home and before that a 2-0 lose to Colorado away. They actually only have one win this season (against Philly) so it's not like we're up against a juggernaut here tomorrow. However, it's very well-rested team who've already enjoyed a bye-week prior to the game against Houston. Chicago is gonna be a tough opponent.

Roogsy
04-20-2012, 12:35 PM
And the return of Rolfe might give them a boost. It won't be an easy game. With him back and DK out, I am leaning more towards a draw than a win. Still, of games that are winnable, I would say this is one of the best chances.

Chevy
04-20-2012, 12:41 PM
Aren't all games winnable?

KRO
04-20-2012, 12:49 PM
And the return of Rolfe might give them a boost. It won't be an easy game. With him back and DK out, I am leaning more towards a draw than a win. Still, of games that are winnable, I would say this is one of the best chances.
Apparently Rolfe was also injured in training and will be out for two weeks.

pekduck
04-20-2012, 12:50 PM
^

yep

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/04/20/starting-xi-top-11-questions-heading-weekend

7) How long can the Fire wait for Chris Rolfe?
NBC Sports Preview: TOR vs CHI

The Fire showed that they could pull off a bit of last-minute acquisition magic as the MLS transfer window closed earlier this week, bringing one of their old favorites back from Europe to add a new dimension to their front line. Rolfe, however, rolled his ankle during his first week in training and won't play against Toronto FC on Saturday. Frank Klopas & Co. will have to play the waiting game at least another week.

Auzzy
04-20-2012, 12:54 PM

Never want to wish an injury on anyone... but thank-you thank-you thank-you.

Roogsy
04-20-2012, 01:06 PM

:smilielol5:Suckas!

Well then...come on 3 points!

OgtheDim
04-20-2012, 01:41 PM
Koev and Rolfe both out at the same time............its that cosmic balance thing. :fluffy:

Couchy81
04-20-2012, 04:41 PM
I'm hoping the return of Frings will push them just enough to win it, since that seemed to work last year. Also I'm going with a soccer/tfc newbie, would be nice if he saw a win his first match ever.

Pookie
04-20-2012, 05:00 PM
It was a gorgeous 12th of May
Chicago Fire we did play
4 games in our history
And we hadn't scored a single goal

But that was all about to change
As Dichio took to the stage...

My how things have changed, eh? ;)

I think everyone's expectations should be clearly on 3 points and nothing less.

Richard
04-20-2012, 05:28 PM
It was a gorgeous 12th of May
Chicago Fire we did play
4 games in our history
And we hadn't scored a single goal

But that was all about to change
As Dichio took to the stage...

My how things have changed, eh? ;)

I think everyone's expectations should be clearly on 3 points and nothing less.

I agree, they need to make this a statement game.

Abou Sky
04-20-2012, 07:00 PM
I agree, they need to make this a statement game.

Avila tweeted that he just got a tattoo, wtf? He couldn't wait until Sunday?

glaze
04-20-2012, 07:51 PM
I have a really good feeling about tommorow. The forecast has gotten better, its a saturday game, we showed some life last week, Frings is back. 2-0 TFC, with both being scored on the south end.

Roogsy
04-20-2012, 10:29 PM
The Frings comments in the Sun's Wolstatt article seems to point to him playing on the backline instead of midfield like some were hoping. Looks like JDG & Dunfield in midfield.

Cashcleaner
04-21-2012, 12:18 AM
Koev and Rolfe both out at the same time............its that cosmic balance thing. :fluffy:

Yeah, but remember that Soolsma is injured as well. Luckily, the inclusion of Frings helps mitigate quite a few weaknesses, though.

ManUtd4ever
04-21-2012, 07:38 AM
I see the weather is right on schedule.

bigredone
04-21-2012, 08:11 AM
Emory and Henry both starting? Why the hell not with Aceval in the middle.

Ajax TFC
04-21-2012, 10:24 AM
No, he's only been a CB for the past two seasons. Before that he was a LB and an occasional winger, sometimes a holder.

Also, Soolsma is one of the better tacklers on our team and understands tactical movement because of his pedigree. He's also not a natural winger; he converted there from striker when he joined TFC. So playing centrally as a midfielder probably wouldn't be difficult for him.

To me, it would be a bit of a waste, as he's a better winger, due to his guile with the ball.
Soolsma came here as a winger. If my memory serves me correctly, in the interview right after he got signed he said that his position is right winger "I can also play striker, but that is not my position". Unfortunately TFC's video archives don't go back that far, so I can't link it.

ManUtd4ever
04-21-2012, 10:26 AM
Cann played extremely well last week and deserves to start ahead of Emory. I would like to see an all Canadian central defense pairing of Cann and Henry as the first choice in the starting lineup moving forward, which would allow Frings to move back to his natural position as the defensive midfield anchor.

Ajax TFC
04-21-2012, 10:26 AM
Avila tweeted that he just got a tattoo, wtf? He couldn't wait until Sunday?
probably figures that he wont play anyways, so why wait? :D That being said, he better fucking be played

Dv23
04-21-2012, 11:16 AM
Here's my money-back guaranteed TFC Gameday Prediction. 2-1, Toronto.

ryan
04-21-2012, 11:24 AM
Here's my money-back guaranteed TFC Gameday Prediction. 2-1, Toronto.

Money back eh?

I'll call you after the match when I sadly look at my bankroll.

Gallade
04-21-2012, 11:35 AM
2-0 TFC. after 2-1 Spurs. this is a day of changing fortunes

mowe
04-21-2012, 12:04 PM
Going to be a tough game, Chicago are no pushovers. But with Frings back we should at least see effort for the full game. It'd be nice to see a goal or two.

Richard
04-21-2012, 12:21 PM
Does anyone know the starting 11?

bigredone
04-21-2012, 01:29 PM
Windy city + fire = bad combo.

GO HOGTOWN!!!

Dkolish3
04-21-2012, 01:40 PM
As long as the Fire don't "Release the Gargan" like last time

Waggy
04-21-2012, 02:00 PM
Apparently JDG is on the bench again today. Maybe he didn't just wear out his welcome with the fans over the past few weeks. Hope we can turn him into something by the end of the July transfer window at least. Letting the 5th or 6th highest salary in MLS rot on our bench would just be ridiculous

kodiakTFC

Starting line up: Kocic; Eckersley, Frings, Cann; Stinson, Dunfield, Avila, Morgan; Lambe, Johnson, Plata

Bench: Roberts; Harden, Aceval, Henry, de Guzman, Burgos, Silva

jloome

------kocic--------------
eckersley--cann--frings--morgan

-----dunfield------stinson----------
-----------avila--------------

lambe-----------------plata
-------johnson

LesH
04-21-2012, 02:18 PM
Any streams?

Oldtimer
04-21-2012, 02:20 PM
Match thread here:

http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?31528-Saturday-April-21-Chicago-TFC-3-30-PM-game-thread&p=1476483#post1476483

Ajax TFC
04-21-2012, 02:21 PM
I'm hearing that we're back to the 3-4-3, so it'll be:
Ecks - Frings - Cann
Stinson - Dunfield - Morgan
Avila
Lambe - Johnson - Plata

Its really annoying that winter still hasn't figured out that Dunfield sucks

Richard
04-21-2012, 02:21 PM
Apparently JDG is on the bench again today. Maybe he didn't just wear out his welcome with the fans over the past few weeks. Hope we can turn him into something by the end of the July transfer window at least. Letting the 5th or 6th highest salary in MLS rot on our bench would just be ridiculous

He had 2 1/2 years to prove he was worth something and they gave him a blank slate last year. In conclusion he is a shity player collecting an enormous paycheck.

Oldtimer
04-21-2012, 02:22 PM
Marlies are winning right now 1-0. Can't say ML$E never has playoff teams.