PDA

View Full Version : Confirmed: TFC v Liverpool FC July 21, Rogers Centre

Pages : [1] 2 3

Detroit_TFC
04-13-2012, 12:12 PM
Steven Goff of Washington Post reporting that there is a rumor of Liverpool FC friendly July 21 vs MLS club. TFC and Seattle are open but Seattle plays vs Chelsea 3 days earlier, and LFC are in Boston on 7/25 vs Roma and Balto 7/28 vs Spurs. So, that kinda looks like its going to be TFC.

Hey, I'm just the messenger.

:hide:

Ageroo
04-13-2012, 12:31 PM
Wileman also reporting it on twitter in response to Goff...and at Rogers Centre according to him.

Joe Kool
04-13-2012, 12:37 PM
I might have gone if it came to pass but not at Rogers Centre...no excuse not to do BMO in July on a proper pitch.

Greatest Ripoff
04-13-2012, 12:42 PM
I can handle some shit performances on the pitch but mid season friends just drive me up the wall. Especially when this club has much more important things to worry about. Fuck off.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
04-13-2012, 12:47 PM
first i heard of this...

http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?31327-TFC-v-LFC-This-Summer

;)

Technorgasm
04-13-2012, 12:48 PM
nope.

http://youtu.be/uT0hdpkPCa4

PAOK17
04-13-2012, 12:56 PM
I think we all know that the reason it is at Rogers Centre is revenue. They can make more money and still have tickets priced at a cheaper average than what we had with Real Madrid. I know from town halls the fans expressed their displeasure with mid-season friendlies but I think that is a sentiment coming more from SG's rather than the majority of season ticket holders. If they got anything from the town halls, it would have been the complaint that RM was priced so highly. So what they are probably thinking of doing is just addressing that "complaint" while still filling their pockets with more revenue.

Then again, with grass already installed at BMO couldn't they charge more reasonable prices and still make the same from what they did with Real? I mean the cost of installing the grass was really high if I remember correctly and the north stand is much bigger than the temporary bleachers they put up in 2009.

Either way, the atmosphere will never be as good in the Rogers Centre (ever) unless they play another meaningful match in there.

nfitz
04-13-2012, 01:14 PM
Shame that it could be at Rogers ... that will discourage me from going unless there was a real good deal for STH. If it was a top team, maybe ... but we didn't go through this the previous times we played mid-table EPL teams.

TFCBarrie
04-13-2012, 01:24 PM
Shame that it could be at Rogers ... that will discourage me from going unless there was a real good deal for STH. If it was a top team, maybe ... but we didn't go through this the previous times we played mid-table EPL teams.

I understand that Liverpool is having a tough go of it at the moment, but there are only a HANDFUL of teams bigger than Liverpool. They are still a top team.

No, i'm not a Liverpool supporter

Code Red
04-13-2012, 01:26 PM
Fuckin ML$E.

No way will I be attending a mid-season friendly. If they think they can replicate the CCL game, they are in for a big surprise.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
04-13-2012, 01:43 PM
Fuckin ML$E.

No way will I be attending a mid-season friendly. If they think they can replicate the CCL game, they are in for a big surprise.

they'll get 40,000 plus!

Code Red
04-13-2012, 02:19 PM
they'll get 40,000 plus!

Even if they get 40,000+ ...how many are there to support TFC?

DangerRed
04-13-2012, 02:33 PM
Even if they get 40,000+ ...how many are there to support TFC?

LULZZZZ what a question. You should ask MLSE if they give a shit about that.

Section 117
04-13-2012, 02:35 PM
Why would I want to see a championship level club since the new year play TFC in the middle of the season. Especially when Euro would have just ended a few weeks before????

TOBOR !
04-13-2012, 03:07 PM
they'll get 40,000 plus!unlikely. 30K tops. Maybe 25K.

Detroit_TFC
04-13-2012, 04:08 PM
I shudder to think of what the fare will be for this game. Pure money maker, that is all.

Detroit_TFC
04-13-2012, 04:10 PM
first i heard of this...

http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?31327-TFC-v-LFC-This-Summer

;)

lol didn't see that thread, oops.

Code Red
04-13-2012, 04:15 PM
LULZZZZ what a question. You should ask MLSE if they give a shit about that.

Of course they don't give a damn.

Hence the atmosphere will be shit.

nfitz
04-13-2012, 09:33 PM
I understand that Liverpool is having a tough go of it at the moment, but there are only a HANDFUL of teams bigger than Liverpool. They are still a top team.There's a handful of teams bigger than Liverpool in England alone!

I remember when Liverpool were huge! Back when you only got 2 points for a win. But they've been having a tough go for over 20 years now. Sure, still a bit bigger than Bolton, or even Aston Villa. But I wouldn't think worthy of moving to Rogers. We didn't move to Rogers for Real Madrid.

brad
04-13-2012, 11:17 PM
Attendance will depend on ticket cost. Reasonably priced, attendance will be high. Charge too much, attendance will be lower. United - Celtic game was over priced, and only 27k came out.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
04-14-2012, 12:08 AM
unlikely. 30K tops. Maybe 25K.

in all honesty it will depend on pricing ..as the LA game did! if i remember correctly when Man United played Celtic i payed 80bucks for the supporter section...if this is the case.....you'll be bang on with about 25k!

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
04-14-2012, 12:11 AM
Attendance will depend on ticket cost. Reasonably priced, attendance will be high. Charge too much, attendance will be lower. United - Celtic game was over priced, and only 27k came out.

haha didnt even see your post.....but we're on the same page for sure! ;)

Brooker
04-14-2012, 12:13 AM
for the love of god play the academy.

A.J
04-14-2012, 12:19 AM
Would NOT watch

jazzy
04-14-2012, 09:14 AM
in all honesty it will depend on pricing ..as the LA game did! if i remember correctly when Man United played Celtic i payed 80bucks for the supporter section...if this is the case.....you'll be bang on with about 25k!

would that be 24,000 Liverpooll fans and 1,000 TFC fans.....ya many would be the same but these exhibitions are jokes, it needs 2 quality

sidvan
04-14-2012, 09:24 AM
will be at the San Siro for a stadium tour that day.

Huyton
04-14-2012, 09:42 AM

When Liverpool played Porto in 2004 (the 2004 Champions League Winners against the team who would be the 2005 Champions League Winners) there were 40,078 people there. I payed $100 for a supporters ticket.

I will be buying three tickets that day. One for my father, one for me and one for my son. It will most likely be the only time when the three of us will be able to see Liverpool play. We will each be cheering for our hometown teams.

This is the only possible match where I'd be louder for the visitors than TFC, and this is the only game when my son will be louder for Liverpools opponents.

Fort York Redcoat
04-14-2012, 09:45 AM

I sincerely wonder how many football fans are out there. Those that would attend a game simply on recent league play alone. While I don't discount the fact that LFC are struggling in comparison to it's long history of success it's these kind of matches that people easily put aside their need to see quality to witness a reknown team. Be it for a star player not from the city the team represents or just for the fame of the club, most fans there will not be there on the recent results of the club.

ps- MLSE, you couldn't find a popular foreign minnow for LFC to beat up on?

Fort York Redcoat
04-14-2012, 09:50 AM
I will be buying three tickets that day. One for my father, one for me and one for my son. It will most likely be the only time when the three of us will be able to see Liverpool play. We will each be cheering for our hometown teams.

This is the only possible match where I'd be louder for the visitors than TFC, and this is the only game when my son will be louder for Liverpools opponents.

The future of local football. Love to hear this, Huyton!

(Again, not an anti Liverpool sentiment. I promise.)

denime
04-14-2012, 10:09 AM
Useless friendly with a cash grab note written all over it,thanks but not this time.

the rest of you who will go,enjoy the game and hope for both teams that no one will get injured on that crap surface at RC.

jabbronies
04-14-2012, 10:18 AM
Great opportunity for the academy kids and bench players to get a run in against some EPL talent. Would be great experience for them.

As for our starters and depth players - I hope they don't even get suited up and sit on the bench.

I personally will not be attending.

Huyton
04-14-2012, 10:53 AM
The future of local football. Love to hear this, Huyton!

(Again, not an anti Liverpool sentiment. I promise.)

Yeah...sorry about that...I am sensitive about being called a glory-hunter.

Anyway, you are absolutely correct. Support Local Football..which is why we also go to see Milltown FC games (and not just because Dino is such a nice guy).

Which reminds me...gotta get tickets to see Canada play.

And see about tickets for the TFC game against D.C. United on the long weekend in May.

Bars92
04-14-2012, 06:53 PM
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

UltraSuperMegaMo
04-14-2012, 08:17 PM
It could be a highlight of the season the way things are going. I'll definitely give it a look.

Mark in Ottawa
04-16-2012, 06:53 AM
The UEFA European Football Championship begins Friday, June 8, 2012, and ends Sunday, July 1, 2012.
The Opening Ceremony of the London 2012 Olympic Games is on Friday, July 27, 2012.

What players will the EPL be sending to North America??
And how much will ML$E charge us to see them??

nfitz
04-16-2012, 07:22 AM
The UEFA European Football Championship begins Friday, June 8, 2012, and ends Sunday, July 1, 2012.
The Opening Ceremony of the London 2012 Olympic Games is on Friday, July 27, 2012.

What players will the EPL be sending to North America??How many players will Liverpool have in the Euro? Gerrard, Reina ... and 2-3 others? I can't imagine many will be on the British or other U-23 squads.

And how much will ML$E charge us to see them??At the rate the season is going ... an apology present to the STH would be the best approach.

Fort York Redcoat
04-16-2012, 09:20 AM
At the rate the season is going ... an apology present to the STH would be the best approach.

Watching Liverpool put TFC at risk of any injury would not be a way to thank me.

I'm pretty sure there aren't enough people who would want this or put in the situation of having to resell the ticket.

Whoop
04-16-2012, 09:27 AM
Ugh.

That is all.

nfitz
04-16-2012, 10:36 AM
Watching Liverpool put TFC at risk of any injury would not be a way to thank me.Given our most serious injuries of late have been tripping on the training pitch, or riding vehicles on days off, I don't really see that we should stop playing training games.

There's a full 7 days after this game before the next match. Both the preceeding match and the following match are at home, so there's no travel. Voyageurs Cup is all over. Champions League doesn't start for another 10 days. I don't see any real downside to get the starting line-up to run around for 45 minutes, and then bring on the subs. It's not like we are in a play-off race or something.

My only concerns are pricing, and playing at Rogers.

Huyton
04-16-2012, 11:04 AM
There is no CONCACAF qualifier this year and one less group stage game at home. Assuming they get this far...there may only be one Amway Canadian Championship game, too.

Last year, we played 2 Canadian Championship, 1 CCL Qualifier and 3 group stages at home.

There is a minimum of 1 game and a maximum of 4 this year in the same competition. The way we're playing at the moment, a single game is looking like a distinct possibility. I think we'll beat Montreal, but we must face facts.

With somewhere between 2 and 5 fewer games at home this year than last, of course MLSE is looking at a mid-season friendly to boost the coffers.

nfitz
04-16-2012, 11:12 AM
With somewhere between 2 and 5 fewer games at home this year than last, of course MLSE is looking at a mid-season friendly to boost the coffers.I don't see how we could have 5 fewer home games than last season. Last season we had 17 MLS + 2 Voyageurs Cup + 4 CONCACAF = 23. This year we are guaranteed 17 MLS + 2 CONCACAF + 1 Voyageurs Cup. So if we bomb out completely, we'll have 20 games, which is only 3 fewer than last year. Even if we don't make the play-offs, but we win the Voyageurs Cup again, we get 17 MLS + 4 CONCACAF + 2 Voyageurs Cup = 23 - the same as last year (remember we've already had 2 CONCACAF games this year).

Huyton
04-16-2012, 02:08 PM
Damn...I'd forgotten the two CONCACAF games already played.

You are absolutely correct...thanks!

Okay...

So...

I'll go crawl away now. Suitably chastened.

jpopick
04-17-2012, 05:47 AM
Why do Boston and Baltimore get to see two (ahem) real European clubs, but we're meant to put our own boys out there?

Why isn't the 'Pool playing the Revs or DC United?

Fort York Redcoat
04-17-2012, 07:10 AM
Why do Boston and Baltimore get to see two (ahem) real European clubs, but we're meant to put our own boys out there?

I think it would indicate that Toronto actually has as many fans that would attend for Toronto (or against Liverpool) as spending to get a foreign team that would draw about the same crowd. Just a hunch.

Huyton
04-17-2012, 07:17 AM

Because Liverpool wants at least one game against a team they can beat.

Joe Kool
04-17-2012, 07:47 AM
Looks like Chicago Fire are getting an EPL match too against Aston Villa on the same day so no wonder they both wanted to move the game. Their tickets are part of their STH package as a "bonus game", whatever that means to them, and the regular price on Ticketmaster is $25-$45 for most seats. Not bad considering they are keeping it at Toyota Park and are not moving it to a non-soccer friendly location like say....a baseball stadium to make more cash.

Oldtimer
04-18-2012, 06:18 AM
I don't mind a friendly provided its the kids who play. They could benefit from playing top-flight players. I probably won't be going, but it gives the randoms something to look forward to. Liverpool is a better choice than some random second-tier club.

Now I doubt that someone like Frings would be excited or benefit at all. He has played at the highest levels, and I would not want him, or any of our top players getting worn out or injured.

tfcfans
04-18-2012, 09:00 AM
Seems Official - TFC vs Liverpool

It is on Ticketmaster with an onsale for tomorrow.

July 21st at 4PM SkyDome (not that other name).

Tickets from $45 ($59 with service charges) to $145 ($159).

July
Sat

Rogers Centre (http://www.ticketmaster.ca/Rogers-Centre-tickets-Toronto/venue/131114)Toronto, ON
04:00 PM

Toronto FC vs. Liverpool FC

More Info » (http://www.ticketmaster.ca/event/10004887E16E4B71?artistid=1110670&majorcatid=10004&minorcatid=11) on sale:Thu, 04/19/12

CA $59.00 - CA $159.00 (javascript:void(0);)
CA $59.00 (CA $45.00 Ticket + CA $14.00 Fees) Limited Availability at this Price for this Option No Tickets Currently Available at this Price for this Option CA $159.00 (CA $145.00 Ticket + CA $14.00 Fees)

Huyton
04-18-2012, 09:08 AM
And Seasons ticket holders don't get told about this from the club?

Oldtimer
04-18-2012, 09:13 AM
You think they won't give us a "special offer?"

Waggy
04-18-2012, 09:15 AM
Seems Official - TFC vs Liverpool

It is on Ticketmaster with an onsale for tomorrow.

July 21st at 4PM SkyDome (not that other name).

Tickets from $45 ($59 with service charges) to $145 ($159).

July
Sat
Rogers Centre (http://www.ticketmaster.ca/Rogers-Centre-tickets-Toronto/venue/131114)Toronto, ON
04:00 PM
Toronto FC vs. Liverpool FC
More Info » (http://www.ticketmaster.ca/event/10004887E16E4B71?artistid=1110670&majorcatid=10004&minorcatid=11) on sale:Thu, 04/19/12

CA $59.00 - CA $159.00 (http://javascript%3Cstrong%3E%3C/strong%3E:void%280%29;)
CA $59.00 (CA $45.00 Ticket + CA $14.00 Fees) Limited Availability at this Price for this Option No Tickets Currently Available at this Price for this Option CA $159.00 (CA $145.00 Ticket + CA $14.00 Fees)

Tickets starting at $60 to see the Liverpool B squad vs the TFC reserves?! Sign me up! What a bargain! :facepalm:

ensco
04-18-2012, 09:33 AM
You think they won't give us a "special offer?"

I expect these to be free to SSHs. Anything else and they will hear from me.

Joe Kool
04-18-2012, 09:35 AM
I am very surprised to not see a special offer for the season ticket holders. I don't plan on going but this would kind of be a slap in the face to us to not offer and just go straight to general public sale.

Whoop
04-18-2012, 09:43 AM
Ugh.

nfitz
04-18-2012, 09:49 AM
Just talked to ticket rep. He seemed as surprised as we are as he was checking their site himself. Said STH would be getting details very soon.

Looks like someone jumped the gun!

Waggy
04-18-2012, 09:51 AM
I really want to hear Paul B's explanation for this. Other than a blatant cash grab I can't think of a SINGLE benefit to either Toronto FC, soccer fans in this city or anyones impressions of the intentions MLSE has as owners of Toronto FC. To me this says "Cash in while the gettings good". Maximize profit, fuck what it does to our season, or what our real fans think of us. There's money to be made off Eurosnobs!

Whoop
04-18-2012, 09:52 AM
Jumped the gun?

Tickets go on sale tomorrow.

Not that I really care.

nfitz
04-18-2012, 09:55 AM
Jumped the gun?I'd think someone jumped the gun on advertising general sales for tomorrow, before anyone has even announced the game yet, or details to STH. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a delay in general sales.

Not that I really care.Your posting history in this thread suggests otherwise.

Whoop
04-18-2012, 09:57 AM
Not that I care about attending...

nfitz
04-18-2012, 09:59 AM
On the bright side - the lack of presale information for STH - or even a presale shown on the Ticketmaster website, might mean that STH don't actually have to buy tickets. I think we are all assuming it's just a big cock-up ... but perhaps it's simply that we are being given tickets.

Joe Kool
04-18-2012, 10:04 AM
Ticketmaster seem to make these mistakes alot. I have seen it several times and is always fixed before any tickets actually go onsale. I am sure it will change or disappear from their site. Price is way too high for me though but I guess it would be different if it was one of the teams I follow since it is cheaper than a flight to England. MLSE should really be taking these types of opportunities to get some loyalty back from the fans. BMO Field is emptier and emptier all the time, they now offer 3 game packs which shows ticket sales are slow, lots of people like me on the fence with whether to renew next year with so many pairs easily available for deep discounts and no perks to being a season ticket holder.

Fort York Redcoat
04-18-2012, 10:09 AM
On the bright side - the lack of presale information for STH - or even a presale shown on the Ticketmaster website, might mean that STH don't actually have to buy tickets. I think we are all assuming it's just a big cock-up ... but perhaps it's simply that we are being given tickets.

This is getting dodgy. They don't know they are selling the tix, they barely market this match....

I'm with ensco on this. If they come out and say they have this wonderful free opportunity for us STH's ala the MLS cup...

Let's just say I WILL be attending and there will be a message that day. (Non -violent of course)

Greatest Ripoff
04-18-2012, 10:13 AM
I really want to hear Paul B's explanation for this. Other than a blatant cash grab I can't think of a SINGLE benefit to either Toronto FC, soccer fans in this city or anyones impressions of the intentions MLSE has as owners of Toronto FC.

exactly.

nfitz
04-18-2012, 10:13 AM
If they come out and say they have this wonderful free opportunity for us STH's ala the MLS cup.MLS cup wasn't free; it was factored into the seasaon ticket price. For some new STH the 2011 invoice even showed two separate prices (one for MLS cup, and one for the rest of the season that was identical to the 2012 invoice price). Ditto the Bolton game was factored into the 2010 price. The 2012 price is simply based on 19 games (17 MLS + 2 Voyageurs Cup).

Whoop
04-18-2012, 10:16 AM
Even if the tickets are free, would you attend?

I'm of two minds, 1) just not go or 2) join FYR in making the message heard...

Roogsy
04-18-2012, 10:18 AM
I don't watch TFC friendlies. I haven't been to one since Real Madrid, and I only did that so I could wear my Barcelona jersey and rag on the Madrid players all game long. :D

I am not a Liverpool fan so that side does not interest me, and I am not interested in seeing either a) TFC trot out their first team and risk getting injured and screw up their season even more or b) trot out the kids to get pummelled by Liverpool's B team.

And I doubt tickets will be free.

Hopefully, this is not a complete bust though. Soccer in this town suffers too much criticism for an event like this to be allowed to fail and then have the Bob McClowns of the world tell us "I told you so".

Redcoe15
04-18-2012, 10:19 AM
I really want to hear Paul B's explanation for this. Other than a blatant cash grab I can't think of a SINGLE benefit to either Toronto FC, soccer fans in this city or anyones impressions of the intentions MLSE has as owners of Toronto FC. To me this says "Cash in while the gettings good". Maximize profit, fuck what it does to our season, or what our real fans think of us. There's money to be made off Eurosnobs!

I think you just answered your own question there.

nfitz
04-18-2012, 10:20 AM
Even if the tickets are free, would you attend?Most certainly. And I'd probably pay up to $40 or so. More if I was a Liverpool fan.

For someone who doesn't care about attending, you seem to care a lot!

Redcoe15
04-18-2012, 10:21 AM
Hopefully, this is not a complete bust though. Soccer in this town suffers too much criticism for an event like this to be allowed to fail and then have the Bob McClowns of the world tell us "I told you so".

Stephen Brunt needs to punch McClown in the mouth if he tries to.

tfcleeds
04-18-2012, 10:23 AM
I just can't see SSH not getting at least something thrown their way - that would be about the stupidest thing the FO could do (if they chose not to)

Fort York Redcoat
04-18-2012, 10:27 AM
MLS cup wasn't free; it was factored into the seasaon ticket price. For some new STH the 2011 invoice even showed two separate prices (one for MLS cup, and one for the rest of the season that was identical to the 2012 invoice price). Ditto the Bolton game was factored into the 2010 price. The 2012 price is simply based on 19 games (17 MLS + 2 Voyageurs Cup).

Crisis Averted

Sorry People. The TBD "free" (I realize it's not ACTUALLY free nfitz it's just how they'd market it to us, that's all) match is the CCL game.

This game will definately not be free and forced upon us.

Whoop
04-18-2012, 10:28 AM
Most certainly. And I'd probably pay up to $40 or so. More if I was a Liverpool fan.

For someone who doesn't care about attending, you seem to care a lot!

LOL

You misinterpret my commentary for caring.

Roogsy nailed it.

glaze
04-18-2012, 10:30 AM
The logic behind these games is puzzling to me. While I personally like the idea of a friendly (even if its just to watch the reserves from both sides), these games have never done well at the Dome. I imagine they'd be able to fill BMO for this game, (wasn't the Ronaldo game sold out a couple years ago?), so why do they keep throwing these in a stadium that will likely be half-full, and provide no type of gameday atmosphere for the casual fans? MLSE still has to build the profile of TFC in this city. The Liverpool brand still carries alot of weight, so people will take a look at this game. Sadly, I think the fact that its at the Dome, combined with the prices, will cause them to pass on it.

Davenport
04-18-2012, 10:36 AM
No thanks. I'll find something else to do that night.

http://deephousepage.com/smilies/club.gif

Roogsy
04-18-2012, 10:37 AM
The logic behind these games is puzzling to me. While I personally like the idea of a friendly (even if its just to watch the reserves from both sides), these games have never done well at the Dome. I imagine they'd be able to fill BMO for this game, (wasn't the Ronaldo game sold out a couple years ago?), so why do they keep throwing these in a stadium that will likely be half-full, and provide no type of gameday atmosphere for the casual fans? MLSE still has to build the profile of TFC in this city. The Liverpool brand still carries alot of weight, so people will take a look at this game. Sadly, I think the fact that its at the Dome, combined with the prices, will cause them to pass on it.

Liverpool is a big club, which means to bring them here comes at a hefty price tag. In order to cover the cost (and make some money) you need to increase the economies of scale. While 20,000 fans at BMO Field at an average price of $100 can happen, 40,000 fans at the Skydome at an average price of $60 or 65 might be more profitable, especially if you factor in concessions.

That's assuming they can get those numbers. They don't care about the atmosphere, but they will care if they can't fill the Dome.

Don Julio
04-18-2012, 10:38 AM
You can't expect a club with 3 DP's, building expensive academy facilities, to turn down lucrative revenue opportunities that are used by other clubs with no such commitments.

That said, I will not be going unless it's free. I paid to see Real Madrid, but let's be honest... Andy Carroll and Stewart Downing aren't exactly Critiano Ronaldo and Kaka.

Fort York Redcoat
04-18-2012, 10:39 AM

I actually like the idea of having these friendlies at the Dome to give it a separate, different atmosphere to a match that is very different than league play. People are there for different reasons usually so to make the atmosphere different seems natural to me.

cherono
04-18-2012, 10:44 AM
I support Liverpool as well as TFC, but have no interest in seeing their youngsters play in the Dome against a TFC reserve team. I paid for the Real Madrid game, as it was a great experience to see that squad of players up close in OUR stadium. To run out two substandard teams in the cavernous SkyDome (I saw 'Pool play Porto there a few yrs ago and it was pretty dismal from an atmosphere point of view) - especially at the expense of one of the few mid-summer saturday league matches we had - well, just kinda sucks.
That said, I'd go if it's free for ssh though I obviously won't hold my breath!

Phil
04-18-2012, 10:47 AM
I am not a big fan of friendlies. This game is not well timed (they never are though) and the risk of injury for a meaningless game is just too much to accept for me. Liverpool are a great club and it is amazing to have them here but I would much prefer seeing another EPL team play them at the dome, that I would pay for.

Gazza
04-18-2012, 10:53 AM
No thanks. I'll find something else to do that night.

http://deephousepage.com/smilies/club.gif

Make popcorn?

KGH
04-18-2012, 10:53 AM
I purchased 8 tickets to the CCL game...I will be purchasing 0 for this game. If the front office is expecting a big turnout like they got in March they're in for a big surprise.

Beach_Red
04-18-2012, 10:54 AM

Do you think the last five years have had an impact? I think you're right, soccer in this town suffers too much criticism and now something like this has far too little upside to make it worthwhile. It's just another example that the people making decisions about soccer here have no idea what they have (or could have if they handled it correctly).

Waggy
04-18-2012, 11:11 AM
I think you just answered your own question there.

haha should've said I want to hear MLSE's propaganda arm's spin on how this is great for local football, Toronto FC and us!

Carts
04-18-2012, 11:18 AM
I actually like the idea of having these friendlies at the Dome to give it a separate, different atmosphere to a match that is very different than league play. People are there for different reasons usually so to make the atmosphere different seems natural to me.

That's a good point - the main problem with the Rogers Centre is the turf, not just turf, TERRIBLE TURF, in cubes with hundreds of seams, laid on concrete with a thin rubber padding...

If we were playing in a large, natural grass stadium - my fear of injury would be cut in half if not more... But the playing surface at the Rogers Centre is an embarrassment and footy should not be played on it...

This is coming from a Toronto FC / Liverpool FC supporter who would love to see them compete against each other - but on that terrible surface, its bitter sweet at best...

I loved the CCL night at the Rogers Centre - it was MAGIC. But when I watched the match back on my PVR, I realized that footy should never take place on what they call a playing surface... Even brand new turf, its still in cubes with hundreds of seams - its not suited for footy...

prizby
04-18-2012, 11:20 AM
The main point here is being missed.

Toronto FC moved a MLS regular season game, for a cash grabbing friendly. But what is WORSE is they have moved that MLS game to September 12th which is during World Cup Qualifying. TFC have the potential to be missing Ashtone Morgan, Julian de Guzman, Terry Dunfield, Ryan Johnson, and maybe even more players in a game that could be an important 3 points.

Not only are we missing players for the an important game against an Eastern Conference opponent (Chicago Fire) on Septemeber 12th, but the schedule also hae our players playing on September 15th at home to Philadelphia, where our other starters could have had a 2 week break, they will now have some tired legs while the Union players will be coming into town rested? Those 6 points are very important as they could be against 2 Eastern Conference opponents that we are battling for a playoff spot with and we put ourselves at a disadvantage all for a midseason friendly against Liverpool?

I cannot understand that.

prizby
04-18-2012, 11:23 AM
if Toronto FC really need an extra revenue game, maybe they should focus on making the playoffs and hosting a playoff game so they can enjoy the extra revenue that would come with a playoff game

Don Julio
04-18-2012, 11:25 AM

Toronto FC moved a MLS regular season game, for a cash grabbing friendly. But what is WORSE is they have moved that MLS game to September 12th which is during World Cup Qualifying. TFC have the potential to be missing Ashtone Morgan, Julian de Guzman, Terry Dunfield, Ryan Johnson, and maybe even more players in a game that could be an important 3 points.

Not only are we missing players for the an important game against an Eastern Conference opponent (Chicago Fire) on Septemeber 12th, but the schedule also hae our players playing on September 15th at home to Philadelphia, where our other starters could have had a 2 week break, they will now have some tired legs while the Union players will be coming into town rested? Those 6 points are very important as they could be against 2 Eastern Conference opponents that we are battling for a playoff spot with and we put ourselves at a disadvantage all for a midseason friendly against Liverpool?

I admit, I completely missed that point. That sucks.

Hopefully we'll have qualifying in the bag by then so we can hols the players back! (cough, cough)

TFC/Everton
04-18-2012, 11:27 AM
$59 - $159??? Out of my cold dead hands.

Detroit_TFC
04-18-2012, 11:27 AM
I can't confirm this, but I believe the TFC v Fire fixture was moved on request to accomodate a Chicago friendly. That opened a date for TFC to book Liverpool, who was interested in coming to Toronto. We can blame MLSE for booking an ill-advised friendly but I don't think we can blame them for initiating the schedule change.

Personally, my rage reserves are running low, finding hard to give a fuck about this.

TFC Cityboy
04-18-2012, 11:30 AM

Too bad this club isn't run by people who look at the success of the team in terms of league placement, but get caught in the lights of a glamour opponent and $$$s at the detriment of team performance.
I have no problem with MLSE turning a profit on TFC but when it is done at the expense of jeopardising already fragile playoff hopes it leaves me shaking my head.

nfitz
04-18-2012, 11:35 AM
Toronto FC moved a MLS regular season game, for a cash grabbing friendly. Do you have any proof of that? Surely the move was done by Chicago FC who now have a friendly scheduled against Aston Villa on that date - which they announced back in March!

TFC is then left with a 10-day hole in the schedule. I don't see a big deal about dropping a friendly 3-days into this break, that the starting line-up will surely only play 45 minutes, if that.

And I don't see the need to twist this into something that it isn't.

colman1860
04-18-2012, 11:36 AM
Absolutely not. Fuck off, MLSE.

Waggy
04-18-2012, 11:39 AM
Do you have any proof of that? Surely the move was done by Chicago FC who now have a friendly scheduled against Aston Villa on that date - which they announced back in March!

TFC is then left with a 10-day hole in the schedule. I don't see a big deal about dropping a friendly 3-days into this break, that the starting line-up will surely only play 45 minutes, if that.

Ya I think that's it too. MLSE is just trying to be opportunistic. Here's an idea: why not have a friendly, TFC vs Team Canada? At BMO? With proceeds going to Soccer Canada (since we are in, you know, the national soccer stadium). Most of the squad should be in their offseason and god knows Canada can use every game it can get in the midst of WCQ

nfitz
04-18-2012, 11:44 AM
Here's an idea: why not have a friendly, TFC vs Team Canada? At BMO? With proceeds going to Soccer Canada (since we are in, you know, the national soccer stadium). Most of the squad should be in their offseason and god knows Canada can use every game it can get in the midst of WCQAn interesting idea. We do have a gap with no games from Saturday May 26th to Saturday June 16th while Canada is in their training camp. With Canada currently playing on June 3, 8, and 12, perhaps a May 30th friendly against TFC would be in order.

trane
04-18-2012, 11:45 AM
I have a great idea, lets scrap the NCC and instead have one friendly a month. It will be great fun to see the big European clubs live at least once a month. Imagine the revenue.

I imagine the revenue.

ensco
04-18-2012, 11:49 AM
Do you have any proof of that? Surely the move was done by Chicago FC who now have a friendly scheduled against Aston Villa on that date - which they announced back in March!

Who are you kidding with this? Give me a break.

Waggy
04-18-2012, 11:52 AM
Who are you kidding with this? Give me a break.

He's right man, go back and check the schedule thread. Chicago asked to change the date and announced a friendly a while ago. Now weeks/months later TFC is following suit. You kind of have to think Chicago took the lead here.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-18-2012, 11:57 AM
Mlse can get fucked. Events if these tickets are free I'm not going and not selling them. I highly suggest others do the same.

nfitz
04-18-2012, 12:00 PM
Who are you kidding with this? Give me a break.I apologize that the conspiracy theory doesn't hold water.

There's are so many legitimate things that we can blame MLSE for, I don't see the need to start making ones up that don't seem to have any factual basis.

prizby
04-18-2012, 12:10 PM
I can't confirm this, but I believe the TFC v Fire fixture was moved on request to accomodate a Chicago friendly. That opened a date for TFC to book Liverpool, who was interested in coming to Toronto. We can blame MLSE for booking an ill-advised friendly but I don't think we can blame them for initiating the schedule change.

Personally, my rage reserves are running low, finding hard to give a fuck about this.

It is probably true that Chicago asked for the game to be moved, but it takes two to tango.

Toronto FC had to agree to the switch, which they did. They could have just as easily said no.

Even if the switch was forced upon them, they should have been extremely reluctant to move a game to during World Cup Qualifying knowing the potential of missing starting players.

Waggy
04-18-2012, 12:11 PM
Heres chicagos website announcing the move (feb 23) http://www.chicago-fire.com/news/2012/02/match-against-toronto-fc-bmo-field-moved-september-12 (DOPE pic)

And here's the press release about their friendly (March 27) http://www.chicago-fire.com/news/2012/03/fire-host-aston-villa-toyota-park-july-21

nfitz
04-18-2012, 12:22 PM
Toronto FC had to agree to the switch, which they did. They could have just as easily said no.Are you 100% sure about that; that Toronto could veto the change?

TFC Cityboy
04-18-2012, 01:24 PM
It is probably true that Chicago asked for the game to be moved, but it takes two to tango.

Toronto FC had to agree to the switch, which they did. They could have just as easily said no.

Even if the switch was forced upon them, they should have been extremely reluctant to move a game to during World Cup Qualifying knowing the potential of missing starting players.

EXACTLY. If we had an executive with some backbone TFC would have noticed the FIFA week and declined the request.
Knob'eads the lot of them.

TOBOR !
04-18-2012, 01:50 PM
Wow, man. Go. Don't go. Who cares ? Get over it.

Nuvinho
04-18-2012, 01:56 PM
I was pissed off when I got the discount email for the FIFA World Cup qualifiers after I already purchased my tickets. Now, if they send an email about this friendly, I am not buying them, even if its discounted deeply. Not spending more on TFC tickets!

Technorgasm
04-18-2012, 02:04 PM
LFC Road trippin!!
Toronto July 21
Boston July 24
Baltimore 28 !!

CANT FREAKIN WAIT !!!!

TOBOR !
04-18-2012, 02:18 PM
any word if they'll tour with the FA and Carling Cups ?

Belfast_Boy
04-18-2012, 02:18 PM
was disappointed I wouldn't be able to get to Anfield this year. thanks for coming to me!
would prefer that it wasn't against TFC, oh well.

Belfast_Boy
04-18-2012, 02:26 PM

they could always bring big ears too. not many of them around.

Technorgasm
04-18-2012, 02:29 PM

I like where your head's at !!!
We play for it May 5th v some blue London Team.
We love you LIVERPOOL we do!

TFC - Roma - Tottenham. . . . which do you think will be the most competitive game?

Oldtimer
04-18-2012, 02:33 PM
I have a great idea, lets scrap the NCC and instead have one friendly a month. It will be great fun to see the big European clubs live at least once a month. Imagine the revenue.

I imagine the revenue.

Even better, eliminate the league and just play 34 friendlies a year. With nothing at stake, there will be no more bad publicity for ML$E for having yet another team "missing the playoffs." :D

prizby
04-18-2012, 02:46 PM
Are you 100% sure about that; that Toronto could veto the change?

Luke Wileman confirmed it on twitter in February

Technorgasm
04-18-2012, 02:46 PM
Hope they put 9 past TFC
one every 10 mins.

For me, this is a HUGE occasion. I was there when LFC played skydoem v Roma.
I still talk abotu it with my dad with fondness. . it was AWESOME.
Thinkn abotu when bolton, or the hammers or Villa or Real came.
its a BIG moment for people when the team they have followed all their lives comes to play. .
I woudl trade every TFC game for 5 seasons for one freindly with LIVERPOOL in toronto.

cash grab or not. it doesnt matter, its a chance to showcase our city, . .
its not like Toronto are tearing the league apart ./ . .
Im over the fucking MOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ensco
04-18-2012, 02:50 PM
Drawing conclusions about MLSE's thought process on this game, based on the announcement date of the Chicago friendly, makes zero sense.

nfitz
04-18-2012, 02:53 PM
any word if they'll tour with the FA and Carling Cups ?Probably just the Carlsberg Cup.

Oldtimer
04-18-2012, 02:56 PM
Drawing conclusions about MLSE's thought process on this game, based on the announcement date of the Chicago friendly, makes zero sense.

Read Prizby's post (above).

TFC Cityboy
04-18-2012, 03:31 PM
Hope they put 9 past TFC
one every 10 mins.

How can you say that? Was at BMO with my Villa mate when TFC played Villa - he wanted TFC to play well and a perfect result would have been a draw (can't recall offhand what the score was).

If City came to play here vs TFC, I would want to enjoy the spectacle, see my team since childhood play my now-hometown club, enjoy the day with both sets of fans have a few beers and agreat memorable day out. Ideally I'd like TFC (in whom I invest more time energy emotion and money in these days) do well and perhaps get a decent result.

As a TFC fan of long-standing(suffering) I don't understand how you will get pleasure from seeing Liverpool knock 9 in vs TFC....not that it's likely anyway.
Not trying to be a smartarse here, btw, I simply don't get it.

Kyle_121
04-18-2012, 03:32 PM
Hope they put 9 past TFC
one every 10 mins.

its a BIG moment for people when the team they have followed all their lives comes to play. .
I woudl trade every TFC game for 5 seasons for one freindly with LIVERPOOL in toronto.

It was Celtic vs Roma and Liverpool vs Porto.

Guess you don't know what match you were at...

Kyle_121
04-18-2012, 03:35 PM
On the plus side, Technorgasm won't even have to change his game day atire for this one, since he shows up to every TFC game wearing a LFC jersey anyways!

Fort York Redcoat
04-18-2012, 03:42 PM
I don't worry about supporters like Technorb. He's been with our team since day one and LFC since his dad plopped him in front of tele to watch them.

It's the untold mass that still think it's not worth supporting local football that will be in attendance FOR ANY friendly (not just this visiting team)

Belfast_Boy
04-18-2012, 03:55 PM
was at that game in 04 (?) too Giles. great seeing them take the pitch. almost as much fun as sitting behind the united bench vs celtic. can still see the look on their faces.....

speaking of pitch. hope it's not that plastic crap we played LA on. that was terrible.

GabrielHurl
04-18-2012, 04:45 PM
http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/article/1163671--liverpool-to-face-toronto-fc-at-rogers-centre

Tickets for the game will go on sale soon, with TFC season-seat holders and supporters being offered them at a special, discounted price.

narduch
04-18-2012, 05:21 PM
Looks like SSH are in line for $15 loyalty discount!

Good job by MLSE/TFC FO here. Nice to see the MLS regular season isn't a priority but making money on mid-season friendlies is.

kodiakTFC
04-18-2012, 07:34 PM
Looks like SSH are in line for $15 loyalty discount!

Good job by MLSE/TFC FO here. Nice to see the MLS regular season isn't a priority but making money on mid-season friendlies is.

Where'd you get this info?

Chinatownchef
04-18-2012, 07:38 PM
No, way Liverpool. Probably one of the few reasons I would drop a little more coin after splurging on seasons.:drum:

prizby
04-18-2012, 07:57 PM
Hope they put 9 past TFC
one every 10 mins.

if they wanted to showcase the city, they would make the game more affordable for the supporters.
If it was about showcasing the city, they would play the friendly in the PRE-SEASON

but, its not

its not about the fans
its not about showcasing the city
and its not about anything BUT making $$$$$

plain and simple

narduch
04-18-2012, 10:06 PM
Where'd you get this info?

Sorry to confuse you.

I'm recalling the Real Madrid friendly 'loyalty' discount.

Code Red
04-18-2012, 10:12 PM
if they wanted to showcase the city, they would make the game more affordable for the supporters.
If it was about showcasing the city, they would play the friendly in the PRE-SEASON

but, its not

its not about the fans

plain and simple

QFT.

Richard
04-18-2012, 11:09 PM

but, its not

its not about the fans

plain and simple

To be fair your not going to play any EU team in March, April with their respective leagues still running. I agree with the points you raise too.

Belfast_Boy
04-18-2012, 11:10 PM

but, its not

its not about the fans

plain and simple

this is a pre-season friendly for LFC.

Belfast_Boy
04-18-2012, 11:13 PM
this is about making money for both clubs. welcome to the wonderful world of football. either enjoy it or get pissed off. your choice.

king dave
04-18-2012, 11:17 PM
Only! When the MLSE group is in the cornfield, will Toronto field a competative/winning, professional sports team.
KD.

Belfast_Boy
04-18-2012, 11:18 PM
was there this much lip flapping (lower) when we played RM? I don't think so.

Belfast_Boy
04-18-2012, 11:26 PM
if ManU, Juve, Inter or Barca showed up there'd be a huge line up. this is all subjective bullshit.

king dave
04-18-2012, 11:27 PM
Not that any sorry fuck here gives a shit but I will not be attending the impending TFC/LFC match @ the Toronto venue come July, 21.
I choose to support my club with fellow supporters at a venue that chooses to support it's supporters in a more respectful/timely manner.
Haven't given MLSE any Yen
since 2010!
KD.

Belfast_Boy
04-18-2012, 11:27 PM
sorry should have add my favourite italian team too.... AC!

king dave
04-18-2012, 11:29 PM
Fuck! I like it when Marky gets ornary!
KD.

Belfast_Boy
04-18-2012, 11:30 PM
KD! we'll be in the supporters section in the dome. and you know who I mean MoFo!

Belfast_Boy
04-18-2012, 11:35 PM
all these bs comments about bring what cups we've won or will be bringing. FO! we'll be bringing one of the biggest teams in the EPL. 18 leagues, 5 European Cups! That's what we call HISTORY!

king dave
04-18-2012, 11:39 PM
These fucking twats here are just chirpping for the most part I think.
I don't like friendlies and find there is way too much footy to capitalize on fucks like us.
Just so happens Toronto FC is shit.
Can't choose a better word.
So LFC decide to do a tour of America and the market for a big club that wins is right here in Toronto so they make a stop.
No big deal.
The big deal is that the owners of Toronto FC don't know how to run a competative/professional sports franchise.
They do a great job with pension funds and real estate.
That is where the $$$ is.
Oh, and the $20 beers!
KD.

king dave
04-18-2012, 11:51 PM
Ahh. I'm out
Let the 'treehouse' continue.
KD.

Belfast_Boy
04-19-2012, 12:18 AM
at the end of the day mid season friendlies are shit for us.
but, and it's a big but! if we (here in T.O.) want to see some of the best that are playing the game, we have to watch LFC and RM on pre-season tours. they are the big fish and we aren't.

Waggy
04-19-2012, 01:23 AM
at the end of the day mid season friendlies are shit for us.
but, and it's a big but! if we (here in T.O.) want to see some of the best that are playing the game, we have to watch LFC and RM on pre-season tours. they are the big fish and we aren't.

What makes you think Liverpool will field even a mediocre side for a friendly in July played on artificial turf designed for the CFL? Every friendly the same thing happens. The quality of play is affected by the turf, and the only stars that show up play their contractually obligated time before retreating. And I can't imagine Winter would risk Koevs or Frings or anyone with any sort of knock in a midseason friendly on that shit either. I have nothing against Liverpool, I'd sooner go see them than any of the other friendlies we've had. The issue is instead of focusing on the season/ccl, maybe taking advantage of a bonus little break to heal injuries, rest up, do some training, acclimatize any new players we picked up in the window, they're focused on grabbing cash. If a single TFC player picks up a knock and their absense costs us even a point in the standings, given our team, that could be the difference between making the playoffs or not. That's what they're gambling, to charge $60 a ticket to see a half stocked Liverpool team.

Stugatzo
04-19-2012, 04:40 AM
So according to The Star, it's a SkyDome-sponsored event which presumably means the teams are paid an appearance fee for what will probably amount to a glorified practice.
I'm willing to bet/hoping TFC knows it would be foolish to risk any of the players we will need for league/CCL aspirations (as would Liverpool) in anything more than an exhibition with unlimited subs.
It does give TFC a chance to put some of our starters and academy players up against some good strong competition.
On injury concerns...well Frei broke his leg in practice so injuries can happen anywhere.
And LFC will NOT play on plastic so the Dome will have to shell out for the lawn as it's their event!
As long as focus is kept where it matters and risks are mitigated, I'm not completely opposed to this.
Also not sure I'm completely willing to shell out big bucks to watch it either...although I probably will.

Pinkie
04-19-2012, 07:43 AM

popping in here to say yes. absolutely, there was this much lip flapping when we played RM. do a quick search of our forums and you'll see.

these mid season friendlies whereupon tfc gets destroyed by a european soccer powerhouse is so unnecessary. Can you imagine the backlash if LFC played a meaningless midseason friendly? the backlash from the supporters would be massive, especially if say a champions league spot was in play.

Phil
04-19-2012, 07:50 AM

At least this much if not more. It was similar, moved league game (this may have been moved by the oposition though) and expensive ticket above and beyond regular seasons for a meaningless game.

I don't have any issue with the Liverpool supporters being happy and seeing their team live, its a real treat for them. As well, its an honour to be able to play them as a club. But I personally have a problem with the timing of the game and its potiential impact on our regular season. Hopefully its the academy side that takes the pitch and TFC give the starters the rest they need.

MKR
04-19-2012, 07:52 AM
Can you imagine the backlash if LFC played a meaningless midseason friendly? the backlash from the supporters would be massive, especially if say a champions league spot was in play.

Liverpool just played a midseason friendly against Rangers.

Roogsy
04-19-2012, 08:03 AM
At least this much if not more. It was similar, moved league game (this may have been moved by the oposition though) and expensive ticket above and beyond regular seasons for a meaningless game.

I don't have any issue with the Liverpool supporters being happy and seeing their team live, its a real treat for them. As well, its an honour to be able to play them as a club. But I personally have a problem with the timing of the game and its potiential impact on our regular season. Hopefully its the academy side that takes the pitch and TFC give the starters the rest they need.

This.

And you're right about the noise made about the RM game...and it was even worse after the pricing was announced. Can you say price gouge?

Listen...if TFC had the performance of an LA Galaxy or a Real Salt Lake, had few injury worries and wasn't too concerned about making the playoffs this year, I wouldn't care. Heck bring in two huge clubs, make lots of money, have great PR and everyone walks away happy.

But that's not the case it it? This is our 6th season in the league and not a wiff of playoffs, we've started the league with a record so poor that it has reduced our playoff chances to an incredibly low likelihood and we have several injury concerns. That's why this is a bad idea, and I am not saying this because I am not a Liverpool fan. If it were Barcelona, I would feel the same way.

mastermixer
04-19-2012, 08:14 AM
To be fair your not going to play any EU team in March, April with their respective leagues still running. I agree with the points you raise too.

This is the point. Makes MLS look mickey mouse rearranging our schedules in the middle of a season so a Euro team can practice with us. MLS should be built on its own merit, not like this.

Technorgasm
04-19-2012, 08:34 AM
I dropped £140 a ticket to see LFC at the emirates
to see them in my back yard for $65?
petty cash.
No one says you have to go to a friendly. .
I would prefer it was another team. .as to not disrupt the TFC season but. . .
it is what it is. . .
I GOT WOOD!

brad
04-19-2012, 08:48 AM

Yes, there was. Same deal pretty much.

MKR
04-19-2012, 08:50 AM
i think this is great. My two favorite teams get to play eachother. I'll bring two scarves to the game and won't be cheering for one side more that the other- I will just look forward to enjoying some good soccer and relish in the moment that my two clubs are on the pitch at the same time infront of me. can't wait.

brad
04-19-2012, 08:52 AM
I dropped £140 a ticket to see LFC at the emirates
to see them in my back yard for $65?
petty cash.

Is it $65, or is that just a guess on pricing?

Belfast_Boy
04-19-2012, 09:06 AM
Yes, there was. Same deal pretty much.

and I still think it's subjective. it's easy to say how much it sucks but faced with the opportunity to see your life long team changes things.

tfcleeds
04-19-2012, 09:07 AM
Is it $65, or is that just a guess on pricing?Yep, $60 is the low-end of the range for ticket prices too.

Belfast_Boy
04-19-2012, 09:11 AM
What makes you think Liverpool will field even a mediocre side for a friendly in July played on artificial turf designed for the CFL? Every friendly the same thing happens. The quality of play is affected by the turf, and the only stars that show up play their contractually obligated time before retreating. And I can't imagine Winter would risk Koevs or Frings or anyone with any sort of knock in a midseason friendly on that shit either. I have nothing against Liverpool, I'd sooner go see them than any of the other friendlies we've had. The issue is instead of focusing on the season/ccl, maybe taking advantage of a bonus little break to heal injuries, rest up, do some training, acclimatize any new players we picked up in the window, they're focused on grabbing cash. If a single TFC player picks up a knock and their absense costs us even a point in the standings, given our team, that could be the difference between making the playoffs or not. That's what they're gambling, to charge $60 a ticket to see a half stocked Liverpool team.

I've said i'd prefer LFC played someone else. but that's not on the table. yes the big guns will have a limited run and that'll be enough for us.
as for TFC focusing on the season, I haven't seen much evidence of that this year. hope they get around to it sooner or later.

Super
04-19-2012, 09:18 AM
The ONLY thing that is wrong with this fixture is the fact that it's during mid-season. If it had been pre- or post-season I would have been very supportive of the game. However, the idea that we would risk injury to our players in a meaningless game is what gets to me. Fortunately we don't have another fixture for a week after the Liverpool game - so that's at least a good thing.

Not sure if I'll be going to this game or not.

Detroit_TFC
04-19-2012, 09:24 AM
Cash grabs are done everywhere unfortunately. The US game vs Brazil May 30 is a prime example for me at least. Supporters tickets $70. Cheap tickets are $40, and are so high up in the New Meadowlands you have to bring your own oxygen.

Welcome to modern football.

Belfast_Boy
04-19-2012, 09:25 AM
as for my Real comment you guys are correct. I had vodka induced amensia last night.

Detroit_TFC
04-19-2012, 09:26 AM
The ONLY thing that is wrong with this fixture is the fact that it's during mid-season. If it had been pre- or post-season I would have been very supportive of the game. However, the idea that we would risk injury to our players in a meaningless game is what gets to me. Fortunately we don't have another fixture for a week after the Liverpool game - so that's at least a good thing.

Not sure if I'll be going to this game or not.

That would be an interesting social experiment. Next February, let's see if a Championship or League 1 team wants to make a hole in their schedule to play us in a pre-season (for us) friendly.

nfitz
04-19-2012, 10:09 AM
Liverpool just played a midseason friendly against Rangers.LOL. The truth hurts. I guess that should put an end to the complaining from TFC supporters about mid-season friendlies and how real teams wouldn't do this for once and for all.

Fort York Redcoat
04-19-2012, 10:54 AM
LOL. The truth hurts. I guess that should put an end to the complaining from TFC supporters about mid-season friendlies and how real teams wouldn't do this for once and for all.

If that was ones argument, yes but I believe it's more to the fact that its money grubbing at the expense of real competition regardless the team or level. I recall complaints from Liverpool fans and pundits alike that midseason friendlies have little purpose other than profit.

Go on, enjoy the exhibition. I think all against it are only thinking of our teams health.

ensco
04-19-2012, 11:36 AM
LOL. The truth hurts. I guess that should put an end to the complaining from TFC supporters about mid-season friendlies and how real teams wouldn't do this for once and for all.

What a ridiculous conclusion to draw. People's negative feelings about this are a heck of a lot more complex than this.

Just makes me feel that much more sorry for the Liverpool supporters btw

Whoop
04-19-2012, 12:02 PM
Haha

Kurtis Larson ‏ @KurtLarSUN (https://twitter.com/#%21/KurtLarSUN) Kocic didn't know about Liverpool friendly until today. His response when I told him had an expletive in it. More tonight online. #TFC (https://twitter.com/#%21/search/%23TFC)

brad
04-19-2012, 12:05 PM
I am a United supported. I have zero objection to that fact that Liverpool are playing. If TFC were to play the academy, I'd think it was great. If TFC play our starters, I'm against it. I would feel exactly the same way if it was a friendly against Man Utd.

Remember what happened to Ronnie O'Brien in season one against Villa? What happens if Frings goes down with an injury in that game?

jaahuuu
04-19-2012, 12:23 PM
Remember what happened to Ronnie O'Brien in season one against Villa? What happens if Frings goes down with an injury in that game?
I'm not too concerned about this, it's not like these guys are going to sit on their asses and do nothing if this game wasn't happening. They'd still be practicing, and look at wat happened to Frei.

The fact that MLSE will use this as a cash grab is bullshit though.

Gallade
04-19-2012, 01:14 PM
i can't defend this because it would have so much more sense to bring in a 2nd team for them to play.

if you think you gain a sufficient financial advantage from another big team to cover their costs, you do that. (Italian team would be logical.)
if you can't, phone around for a mid-size team who will come at a cheap cost. it won't stop the Liverpool fans from going and it keeps TFC out of this nonsense.

god i hope this bombs

Technorgasm
04-19-2012, 01:21 PM
Please grub my money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bigredoneNEE
04-19-2012, 03:16 PM
This mid-season friendly against Liverpool serves no other purpose than to boost revenue for MLSE. At a time when we should be focusing on the league, we'll be playing on that horrible turf at the Rogers Centre, and as people have mentioned, no doubt risking injuries to our players. We already have enough holes in our roster as is and I'm disgusted that the club will be taking that risk. It was made clear to the front office what the majority of supporters think about these mid-season friendlies and yet again they have put profit over all other considerations. I'm sure our players would rather have a few days off in the summer as well to rest and recuperate from injuries, rather than block a game against Liverpool reserves into the schedule.

For those of you Liverpool fans that are excited about this, wouldn't you rather see Liverpool take on a team of similar stature in a legitimate friendly rather than a game that's actually going to be to the detriment of your local club? Also, don't get too excited because we'll be coming off the back of the Euros, so many of the top stars won't be playing.

Like an earlier poster, I also support Manchester United, but I don't want them playing TFC in a mid-season friendly. I would be completely against that as well.

This game does nothing for our team, and makes the league look Mickey Mouse in the fact that we'll rearrange league fixtures to whore ourselves out to fancy European clubs on tour.

I wouldn't go to this game if you paid me.

OgtheDim
04-19-2012, 09:06 PM
Hope they put 9 past TFC
one every 10 mins.

I still talk abotu it with my dad with fondness. . it was AWESOME. .......

I thought it was vs. Porto. Liverpool lost and played poorly.

I went to that. Quieter then a Jays game except when Porto scored.

As for Liverpool winning by that much, no thank you. That would be embarassing for both sides.

prizby
04-20-2012, 12:55 AM
this is about making money for both clubs. welcome to the wonderful world of football. either enjoy it or get pissed off. your choice.

couldn't TFC management host a friendly between 2 euro clubs and make money?

that would make sense to me

TOBOR !
04-20-2012, 07:12 AM
What annoys me (and please excuse if already mentioned) is that the league allows a team to reschedule in order to facilitate a mid-seaseon friendly, but not to allow it when faced with numerous international call ups (like that time in 2008 or 2009 when half our team was gone... I think this is when Sutton got his concussion)..... that and people joining a thread late just to post the exact same comments others have already said.

bigredoneNEE
04-20-2012, 07:59 AM
What annoys me (and please excuse if already mentioned) is that the league allows a team to reschedule in order to facilitate a mid-seaseon friendly, but not to allow it when faced with numerous international call ups (like that time in 2008 or 2009 when half our team was gone... I think this is when Sutton got his concussion)..... that and people joining a thread late just to post the exact same comments others have already said.

It was 2008 against Chivas, we struggled to put a side out. The ticket holders that day should have been refunded for that fiasco.

I agree that if this League wants to be taken serious it has to stop shifting fixtures for the purposes of mid-season friendlies. Virtually no other major leagues around the world would do this.

Oldtimer
04-20-2012, 08:06 AM
[mod note]: renamed the thread as it is now confirmed.

brad
04-20-2012, 08:17 AM
couldn't TFC management host a friendly between 2 euro clubs and make money?

that would make sense to me

Hard to say. They would have to pay two appearance fees instead of one which would throw the cost/profit model off. And then you loose any appeal to TFC fans (if there are any TFC fans left to pay for tickets). The anti mid season friendly mentality that a lot of us have is not shared by the general TFC fan base, they'll think it's great to get to see an EPL team.

Not sure what Liverpool charge for a friendly appearance (any Liverpool supporter here know?) but I know that teams like United charge one million for an appearance, so it wouldn't surprise if Liverpool where in that territory.

prizby
04-20-2012, 08:26 AM
Hard to say. They would have to pay two appearance fees instead of one which would throw the cost/profit model off. And then you loose any appeal to TFC fans (if there are any TFC fans left to pay for tickets). The anti mid season friendly mentality that a lot of us have is not shared by the general TFC fan base, they'll think it's great to get to see an EPL team.

Not sure what Liverpool charge for a friendly appearance (any Liverpool supporter here know?) but I know that teams like United charge one million for an appearance, so it wouldn't surprise if Liverpool where in that territory.

so $2 million in appearance fees

$50*40,000 fans covers that...and we all know that tickets wouldnt sell for $50, the average price would prolly be about $120/ticket (for 2 big euro teams); stadium rental could be another $500k, but then you look at concessions and merch (average of about $40/fan for combined) and based on an attendance of 40,000, you'd be grossing $6.4 million...nearly 40,000 came for manu-celtic when prices were $75-$150 with most of the empty seats being in the 500's...i bet the total costs wouldn't be more than $3.5 million and you are still netting $3 million

brad
04-20-2012, 08:32 AM

$50*40,000 fans covers that...and we all know that tickets wouldnt sell for $50, the average price would prolly be about $120/ticket (for 2 big euro teams); stadium rental could be another $500k, but then you look at concessions and merch (average of about $40/fan for combined) and based on an attendance of 40,000, you'd be grossing $6.4 million...nearly 40,000 came for manu-celtic when prices were $75-$150 with most of the empty seats being in the 500's...i bet the total costs wouldn't be more than $3.5 million and you are still netting $3 million

But I bet MLSE are looking at it from an angle of "We sold out the Rogers center for the Galaxy game, we can do it again for Liverpool", which nets them an extra million in profits. I highly doubt they care about the impact of the extra game on TFC. It's all about $$$.

bigredoneNEE
04-20-2012, 08:34 AM

I couldn't agree more. I paid around $80 for a ticket to that Manchester United vs Celtic match and then last year I spent around $100 to see Manchester vs Barcelona in DC, in both instances there were good sized crowds and besides ticket sales merchandise was flying off the shelves. With Liverpool vs TFC, you're bringing out a small number of TFC fans who aren't against mid-season friendlies and want to dig deep into their pockets to pay for yet another TFC game, and then of course you're bringing in Liverpool supporters. I completely agree with you that if this game featured two European teams, like let's say Bayern Munich vs Liverpool or something there would be a lot more interest, you could charge slightly more for the premium seats, sell more merchandise and almost certainly make more money.

bigredoneNEE
04-20-2012, 08:35 AM
But I bet MLSE are looking at it from an angle of "We sold out the Rogers center for the Galaxy game, we can do it again for Liverpool", which nets them an extra million in profits. I highly doubt they care about the impact of the extra game on TFC. It's all about $$$.

That is exactly what they're thinking I'd guess, but they are wrong. They will not get anywhere near 45,000 for this.

prizby
04-20-2012, 09:18 AM

yes, but they must know they cant charge as much as manU vs. Liverpool and they must know that there would less of an interest in a tfc friendly based on the last time they had one and backlash it sent, and they should realize that the merchandise sales won't be anywhere near what an manU-liverpool game would have and finally with less bums in the seats, you have less people heading to the concession stands meaning less revenue...i still think if you pony up for 2 big name teams, there is more revenue attributed to that (more risk...more reward)

Technorgasm
04-20-2012, 09:20 AM
I got wood.

Couchy81
04-20-2012, 09:33 AM
It should be marketed as TFC reserves vs. Liverpool reserves.

Auzzy
04-20-2012, 09:33 AM
[mod note]: renamed the thread as it is now confirmed.

Just out of interest, where was this confirmed? I see the Star article about the Liverpool game, which cites "sources," and a couple of other articles pointing back to that same Star article. I guess there was also the temporary posting of the event on Ticketmaster. Any other news/confirmation?

Huyton
04-20-2012, 09:50 AM
I wonder why Liverpool are not playing another Euro team?

Was the Rogers Centre unable to find one to show up?

So, was this perhaps a case of MLSE calling them up and saying "We hear you're looking for a team to play Liverpool. Chicago left us in the lurch, so we're available..."

Now...who gets to play in Red?

Huyton
04-20-2012, 09:58 AM
Hmmm....I gather that Chelsea and AC Milan are in the area...they're playing each other in Washington DC on the 28th.

Liverpool-AC Milan would have been tasty...they've met twice in Champions League Finals (2005 and 2007), winning one apiece.

They each have their own "Big Ears", too.

Oldtimer
04-20-2012, 10:00 AM
Just out of interest, where was this confirmed? I see the Star article about the Liverpool game, which cites "sources," and a couple of other articles pointing back to that same Star article. I guess there was also the temporary posting of the event on Ticketmaster. Any other news/confirmation?

I had it personally confirmed to me by an extremely reliable and well-placed source weeks ago. I kept it under wraps until the story leaked.

Oldtimer
04-20-2012, 10:02 AM
So, was this perhaps a case of MLSE calling them up and saying "We hear you're looking for a team to play Liverpool. Chicago left us in the lurch, so we're available..."

I suspect this is how it played out. The game was moved at Chicago's request, not ML$E's.

Roogsy
04-20-2012, 10:09 AM
I had it personally confirmed to me by an extremely reliable and well-placed source weeks ago. I kept it under wraps until the story leaked.

Prove it. :lol:

Oldtimer
04-20-2012, 10:26 AM
Prove it. :lol:

ha-ha, I know you understand! :lol:

Auzzy
04-20-2012, 11:16 AM

OK, thanks for the info!

Dbl_D
04-20-2012, 12:30 PM
boycott this money grab... so far I've seen barely two Liverpudlians on this thread that are into to seeing this game ... July games at BMO; March games at Rogers... I hope this is a FAIL to teach ML$E a lesson...

Fort York Redcoat
04-20-2012, 12:44 PM
^Um I doubt many would want to say how much they'd like to go with all the negativity here but I know there's a lot more Scousers on this board alone that are going. I don't fault them for it. For a lot of them it would have been LFC that brought them to watch the sport in the first place. The rest and majority probably don't frequent SG's here but watch LFC/EPL at home or the pub. There are tons of those people (potential converts) out there. Personally, I hope they meet some of our guys while they're at the match and get them to support their local.

Ben - D.O.W.
04-20-2012, 12:49 PM
If you're a Liverpool fan I can't really fault you for being excited by this game - I've had friends already ask me if I've been offered tickets, or if I'll pick up ones for them. I'm sure the Liverpool thread on this board is super pumped.

Personally though I hope we play our reserves and there are 50 people in the crowd. Historically we're pretty weak come summertime - the last thing we need is another meaningless came on turf.

Suds
04-20-2012, 12:54 PM
Game will be a sell out or close to it.

Im not a fan of mid-season friendlies but TFC can't continue to pass up these games while other MLS teams play them. Obviously the revenue is a big part. But TFC also have a mandate to build interest in the game. Like them or not these events do that. It will bring some people to BMO that have never been before. and don't kid yourselves, the players love playing these games. For many it's their only shot to line up against a big club like this. Add the fact MLSE business is sports entertainment and you can bet these games will continue to happen for some years to come.

Kyle_121
04-20-2012, 12:58 PM
^Um I doubt many would want to say how much they'd like to go with all the negativity here but I know there's a lot more Scousers on this board alone that are going. I don't fault them for it. For a lot of them it would have been LFC that brought them to watch the sport in the first place. The rest and majority probably don't frequent SG's here but watch LFC/EPL at home or the pub. There are tons of those people (potential converts) out there. Personally, I hope they meet some of our guys while they're at the match and get them to support their local.

You're dreaming if you think that this game will foster a Support Local Football attitude.

Where I work, there are lots of EPL lovers and they all scoff at TFC. The funny thing is these folks barely have any connection, or any at all back to the EPL teams they support. They only support them because they've been at the top of the table at one time or another.

Now, if TFC wasn't so shit and was actually capable of making the playoffs, let alone capable of taking home some silverware, you can bet your ass that these EPL bandwagon clowns would be all over TFC and not because they like TFC, but because this city is starving for a winning sports team.

Fort York Redcoat
04-20-2012, 01:11 PM
You're dreaming if you think that this game will foster a Support Local Football attitude.

Where I work, there are lots of EPL lovers and they all scoff at TFC. The funny thing is these folks barely have any connection, or any at all back to the EPL teams they support. They only support them because they've been at the top of the table at one time or another.

Now, if TFC wasn't so shit and was actually capable of making the playoffs, let alone capable of taking home some silverware, you can bet your ass that these EPL bandwagon clowns would be all over TFC and not because they like TFC, but because this city is starving for a winning sports team.

Kyle. Yes I'm dreaming. But I'm also right. It may be only one or two that try their first ever TFC game or try it one more time- but they do. Every year I see and meet new people. New to TFC but have followed some foreign club for some time.

The important part (to me) is not if they come in droves to TFC. It's unlikely and I have no control over that. What I do have control over is how I can welcome them or damn them for not seeing local football till now.

TOBOR !
04-20-2012, 01:11 PM
I dunno. It seems that people around here are never happy unless they're complaining..... like a load of old ladies at the hairdressers. Honestly.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
04-20-2012, 01:13 PM
i'll most likely go if the price is right.....nothing will make me more happy then seeing TFC beat an ugly Liverpool side!.....reserve side or not!

Kyle_121
04-20-2012, 01:15 PM
I dunno. It seems that people around here are never happy unless they're complaining..... like a load of old ladies at the hairdressers. Honestly.

So you're happy about our awesome start to the season and the amazing opportunity it will be to have a mid season match against LFC?

It seems that people around here have their rose coloured glasses on too tight. Honestly.

Suds
04-20-2012, 01:17 PM

Hairdressers?? My hair started falling out in my 20's so I hve no idea what you're talking about. g:D

Technorgasm
04-20-2012, 01:25 PM
If I'm sure the Liverpool thread on this board is super pumped..

we are frothing at the mouth for Liverpool's North american tour. . . . .
got a fuckin BONER for this one. . .

I honestly, truthfully wish it was ANYONE but TFC though.

Huyton
04-20-2012, 01:25 PM

Is this why the CFL doesn't seem to have the same interest that the NFL does? An "inferior" product? That some people would much rather support the Miami Dolphins than the Argonauts or Ti-Cats?

Anyway, if there is a banner to be flown at this match it should be "Support Local Football".

What's the concensus? Should scouse TFC fans be wearing TFC or LFC shirts?

narduch
04-20-2012, 01:29 PM
I dunno. It seems that people around here are never happy unless they're complaining.....

The problem is that this club give its fans too many reasons to complain. Its all cause and effect.

If TFC was better run and was winning there would be barely anything to discuss.

Kyle_121
04-20-2012, 01:42 PM
Is this why the CFL doesn't seem to have the same interest that the NFL does? An "inferior" product? That some people would much rather support the Miami Dolphins than the Argonauts or Ti-Cats?

Anyway, if there is a banner to be flown at this match it should be "Support Local Football".

Scousers should be in a TFC shirt, but sporting the LFC logo on the hub caps they've stolen!

Razor
04-20-2012, 01:43 PM
Huyton - easy answer. My jersery, my scarf and my flag will be LFC.

Walk On!

maninb
04-20-2012, 01:50 PM
What a load of CRAP!!! Hopefully TFC trots out the Academy side....Who cares.....

Relja
04-20-2012, 02:06 PM
Im planning on going. Good to take my dad out for a soccer game.

Technorgasm
04-20-2012, 02:10 PM

I want to be with ya for this Match Huyton.
I'll be wearing TFC socks. . . . .
and LFC. . pretty mujch everythign else.
the new WARRIOR kits shoudl be out by then. . .

Here is my Banner:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7221/6949991922_cd30877105_o.jpg

nfitz
04-20-2012, 02:26 PM
You're dreaming if you think that this game will foster a Support Local Football attitude.Lately, I'm dreaming every time I walk into a stadium expecting TFC to win a match.

Huyton
04-20-2012, 02:31 PM
That is brilliant!

My son and I had talked about this game back when it was completely hypothetical. He said that the only time he'd cheer against Liverpool would be if they played Toronto FC. I said that the only time I'd cheer against TFC would be if they played Liverpool.

GabrielHurl
04-20-2012, 03:21 PM
Scousers should be in a TFC shirt, but sporting the LFC logo on the hub caps they've stolen!

Hilarious!!

rocktml
04-20-2012, 06:14 PM
Fuck this and fuck Liverpool

tiberius
04-20-2012, 08:07 PM
Game will be a sell out or close to it.

I had it personally confirmed to me by an extremely reliable and well-placed source weeks ago that although only 10% of the TFC fan base is going to the Liverpool game, KIA is going to buy 30,000 tickets to ensure the game is a sellout. I kept this under wraps until SUDS leaked the story. :)

AL-MO
04-20-2012, 09:20 PM
we are frothing at the mouth for Liverpool's North american tour. . . . .
got a fuckin BONER for this one. . .

I honestly, truthfully wish it was ANYONE but TFC though.

That's why I'm headed to Baltimore!

ArmenJBX
04-20-2012, 09:26 PM
Meaningless Nutrilite game against Montreal? Yeah, no worries, we won't get injured or anything.
Meaningless friendly game against Liverpool? Oh shit Frings and Koevermans and Kocic and Eckersley and Plata are automatically getting injured, worst decision ever!

Seriously? Why is everyone so upset? Why does every assume we're getting injuries? Liverpool isn't coming here with an intent to hurt our guys, so where does this logic stem from? Ronnie O'Brian in year one? Ridiculous.

It's just another game.

prizby
04-20-2012, 11:25 PM
Meaningless Nutrilite game against Montreal? Yeah, no worries, we won't get injured or anything.
Meaningless friendly game against Liverpool? Oh shit Frings and Koevermans and Kocic and Eckersley and Plata are automatically getting injured, worst decision ever!

Seriously? Why is everyone so upset? Why does every assume we're getting injuries? Liverpool isn't coming here with an intent to hurt our guys, so where does this logic stem from? Ronnie O'Brian in year one? Ridiculous.

It's just another game.

because when it happened to Ronnie O'Brian our creative midfielder, we went 7 straight games without scoring

boban
04-21-2012, 01:26 AM
Let me get this right, TFC is playing at the Dome years after the luster has worn off and for a team whose glory days have past, but played at the CNE when we hosted the biggest club in this sport in this world and had us pay prices right up my ass!!! oookkaayy.
Man this ownership is really trying their darnest to piss their customers off.

bigredone
04-21-2012, 08:52 AM
Let us not loose focus of what is important, the season campaign dammit!

Carts
04-21-2012, 08:53 AM
I just wish the match was at BMO...

I know I'm in the huge minority, but I loved seeing our new club (and yes, we're still a new club at 6yrs old) playing a world famous club...

Real Madrid were a joy to watch, yes they beat us handily, but sometimes its an honour to compete against the best in the world - and we hang our hat on the fact we battled and were the only team to score against them on that tour (I believe)...

Hell, with Liverpool, you have a world famous club that in a summer friendly (with them minus a few key guys) we could beat...

If it was at BMO, it would have been a great - but ah well...

My big fear with the Rogers Centre is old, cube installed turf. The cube installation means seams everywhere - that's where off the ball injuries can easily occur - if they bring in natural grass, its better - but not as good as a proper grass pitch that sets all day, every day...

narduch
04-21-2012, 09:00 AM
My big fear with the Rogers Centre is old, cube installed turf. The cube installation means seams everywhere - that's where off the ball injuries can easily occur - if they bring in natural grass, its better - but not as good as a proper grass pitch that sets all day, every day...

Natural grass on top of field turf is usually pretty bad too.

brad
04-21-2012, 09:03 AM
Would Liverpool play on the plastic though? They should have enough clout to say grass or we aren't coming, and I think they would.

ensco
04-21-2012, 09:22 AM
I just wish the match was at BMO...

I know I'm in the huge minority, but I loved seeing our new club (and yes, we're still a new club at 6yrs old) playing a world famous club...

Real Madrid were a joy to watch, yes they beat us handily, but sometimes its an honour to compete against the best in the world - and we hang our hat on the fact we battled and were the only team to score against them on that tour (I believe)...

Hell, with Liverpool, you have a world famous club that in a summer friendly (with them minus a few key guys) we could beat...

If it was at BMO, it would have been a great - but ah well...

This is close to my feeling. I'm not THAT bent about this.

The part I really don't like is that SSHs will almost certainly be asked to pay for tickets to this. I'm telling you right now, this is a destiny issue with the FO and the SSHs, they have to decide when they're going to acknowledge the value prop problem TFC SSHs are having.

sampace
04-21-2012, 09:13 PM
They may have to give tickets away to this one or be embarrased!

cmonyoureds
04-21-2012, 09:29 PM
I think people may be a bit premature with that boner for LFC. Not just this tour though, really, all of the "big name" teams. Especially if the players finish out the Euro's only to find they're going to the Olympics. Start brushing up on your academy names being used as coathangers for the shirts.

Although I'm still gonna hide my socks for when the scouse's hit town.......

jazzy
04-22-2012, 02:10 AM
This is close to my feeling. I'm not THAT bent about this.

The part I really don't like is that SSHs will almost certainly be asked to pay for tickets to this. I'm telling you right now, this is a destiny issue with the FO and the SSHs, they have to decide when they're going to acknowledge the value prop problem TFC SSHs are having.

there is no way as a season ticket holder I pay for this............ya a friendly when we are what 0-13??lol,.....FFS,..FO had better start worrying about the season before ANY BS games....let Liverpool play a real team FFS.......

ExiledRed
04-22-2012, 03:13 AM
hahahaha Liverpool could do better....

By the way, the travelling (and I mean the travelling support) will be larger than the group TFC ever sent to Montreal or Columbus. Even my sister is coming. Those 30,000 KIA seats have to go somewhere.

We'll be mathematically out of the playoffs and the VC by July 21st anyway with this coach, this game may just be the most interesting thing to happen to us until next season. I wouldnt even object to United at this point.

hahahahahahaha YNWA

Soccerpro
04-22-2012, 02:02 PM
TFC can't get a single win in in MLS so they clutter up the fixture list more with this meaningless friendly?

They can't blame this one on Aaron Winter.

ExiledRed
04-22-2012, 02:33 PM
Hey we are already out the playoffs, and probably wont get a whiff at the CL this year, so what's the problem really?

Nuvinho
04-24-2012, 11:18 AM
TFC confirmed the game finally - STH will get first dibs, discount, access to Liverpool practice, and a lock of Andy Carroll's hair.

Auzzy
04-24-2012, 11:21 AM
Maybe the only game TFC wins all year?

:facepalm:

Waggy
04-24-2012, 11:25 AM
TFC confirmed the game finally - STH will get first dibs, discount, access to Liverpool practice, and a lock of Andy Carroll's hair.

OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH shinny things!!!!! I feel a sudden urge to purchase Toronto FC merchandise....

This shit actually offends me. This is what they think of TFC fans? "Yeah, we know we're shit. But here! You get to watch Liverpool practice! Isn't that awesome! Don't forget seasons tickets! Who knows, if you're lucky enough maybe next year you'll have the opportunity to pay an assload to see a good EPL team practice!"

mastermixer
04-24-2012, 11:28 AM
Wow... talk about bad timing.

Whoop
04-24-2012, 11:32 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

And natural grass will be installed for the friendly.

Waggy
04-24-2012, 11:38 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

And natural grass will be installed for the friendly.

How else could they attempt to justify $60 cheap seats ("though for season ticket holders factoring in the loyalty discount we give to our great customers fans, a 10% reduction in price! That's right! You too could be sitting mere meters from Liverpool greats for the low low price of $145, instead of $160! Only for the best fans in the MLS! *pause* Man, I can't believe these idiots.... Crap, is this thing still on?!")

Nuvinho
04-24-2012, 11:41 AM
$1900 on TFC tickets
$250 on FIFA World Cup Qualifiers
Paying to watch Liverpool B team - priceless!

Auzzy
04-24-2012, 11:42 AM
There are some awesome comments about the game coming in on Twitter and in the comments sections of the articles.

I have to try to remember that laughing helps, and is more fun than crying.

Greatest Ripoff
04-24-2012, 11:47 AM
Meaningless Nutrilite game against Montreal?

How is this a meaningless game? It's a competitive match in a cup competition that give the winner entrance into the champions league.

Davenport
04-24-2012, 11:47 AM
Pay good money to watch a meaningless friendly ?
No way and no thanks.

prizby
04-24-2012, 11:48 AM
M£$€

Nuvinho
04-24-2012, 11:50 AM
M£$€

haha...love it! stole it for my twitter account.

Nuvinho
04-24-2012, 11:53 AM
Winter approved this game - errr....like he had a choice.

ArmenJBX
04-24-2012, 11:55 AM
How is this a meaningless game? It's a competitive match in a cup competition that give the winner entrance into the champions league.

Does a team in last place in their league warrant a spot in the Champions League?
Would you give West Ham United a spot in the UEFA Champions League?

I say, we've had our fun abroad, now let's focus on the real competition, the one we currently sit dead last in without much hope. We need to focus on the MLS, and playing those Champions League games are also a distraction.

Jack
04-24-2012, 11:56 AM
Here's a picture of how much this announcement excites me:

http://www.xda-developers.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/zero-percent.jpg?139d23

Auzzy
04-24-2012, 11:58 AM
M£$€

LOL that's awesome.

Does a team in last place in their league warrant a spot in the Champions League?

I say, we've had our fun abroad, now let's focus on the real competition, the one we currently sit dead last in without much hope. We need to focus on the MLS, and playing those Champions League games are also a distraction.

I dunno, if you check the stats on how unlikely it is for us to make the playoffs this year, and likely more so by the time we play VC/CCL again, perhaps VC & CCL games are the only ones that still matter this year?

prizby
04-24-2012, 12:01 PM
luke wileman on twitter:

"Spoke with Aron Winter on Saturday about the Liverpool friendly. He said he was consulted in the planning process and gave his full approval"

disapprove

ryan
04-24-2012, 12:23 PM
He may not have a choice but to be approving in public.

Greatest Ripoff
04-24-2012, 12:23 PM

Yes if West Ham qualified for a competition, then they deserved to play in it regardless of their league position. Birmingham City won the League Cup and were also relegated last season. Did that stop their supporters from enjoying their european games?

If Toronto wins the Voyageurs cup, then they deserve what it brings regardless of league position. Entrance to the Champions league for Canada is based on winning a cup competition and not league position. And as a supporter I would enjoy watching Toronto play in the Champions League. Heck, everyone is already saying the MLS is done for Toronto, so why not enjoy a competition that hasn't even started.

Auzzy
04-24-2012, 12:28 PM
luke wileman on twitter:

"Spoke with Aron Winter on Saturday about the Liverpool friendly. He said he was consulted in the planning process and gave his full approval"

disapprove

If TFC had a somewhat decent record, perhaps AW would be interested in the players gaining this experience against a "top" international team. He said something like that in an interview a while ago. However, I doubt he's as interested in it at the moment.

In any case, I bet the "tradition" of mid-season friendlies was explained to AW when he was hired.

prizby
04-24-2012, 12:54 PM
^tradition of cash grabbing?

Furtado91
04-24-2012, 01:03 PM
I would rather it be between 2 different european clubs (Porto vs Inter for example) rather than tfc. I wish Porto would come down again id totally see that in a heartbeat. but it does not look like they are coming down, even though Benfica and Sporting have played at Bmo.