PDA

View Full Version : Away Support

stuart.mac
04-07-2012, 06:50 PM
Just in from the game today, and I thought I'd make this quick thread about the support.

Obviously a miserable result today however, as the first Eh Classico, I must say I was very very proud to be wearing the red and white today.

The away support not only showed up in numbers, but they made themselves heard loud and clear, Toronto FC has the BEST MLS away support. So thank you to all the fans who made the long trip out to Quebec to see the game, I didnt see a single empty seat in the supporters section, and quite a few TFC fans scattered throughout the general crowd. (Many with the RPB scarfs on)

There are few away games that we are get a big away support out to, so its amazing to see this rivalry kick off with Reds fans showing up as they did.

Here are a few pictures of all those wonderful fans! Again, thanks to all the away support, two more games this year in Montreal and I hope they keep showing up loud and proud.

P.S - Best chant of the game, Stoppage Time, down 2-1 with the ball in our own end..... Lets Go Expos!
:scarf:

http://i40.tinypic.com/z7a6v.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/2qbur03.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/2h801lt.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/349564p.jpg

Juanito
04-07-2012, 07:36 PM
Very cool.

Yohan
04-07-2012, 07:59 PM
At least the supporters showed up cuz the team didnt.

Not going to olympic stadium again for a game. Security was ok but concession stands suck

Mishko
04-07-2012, 08:01 PM
Great to see. We've always had better fans than players.

TorontoMO
04-07-2012, 08:26 PM
At least the supporters showed up cuz the team didnt.

Not going to olympic stadium again for a game. Security was ok but concession stands suck

So you go to away games for hotdogs and pizza? Tell me you're joking!

LOL

Yohan
04-07-2012, 09:01 PM
If you are going to call me out, you better be one of the supporters who made the trip to mtl.

Its basic amenities. If you dont want to be treated like a minor league team, you better have something to sell the game experience, this includes having more than two beer stands.

adamdz
04-07-2012, 09:37 PM
Personally I think the support was overall poop, but can't say I blame people with the start of the season we have had.

cmonyoureds
04-07-2012, 09:39 PM
If you are going to call me out, you better be one of the supporters who made the trip to mtl.

Its basic amenities. If you dont want to be treated like a minor league team, you better have something to sell the game experience, this includes having more than two beer stands.

AMEN.
Just got home from mtl. 1 guy serving coors light to 1000 people is an EPIC FAIL.

stuart.mac
04-07-2012, 09:55 PM
The concession was pretty shitty, not to mention the beer was tiny and cost a fortune. At the Leafs vs Sens games you can get a tall boy for $8, yet here you get a half pint for $7 (I think). Pretty crappy. But either way, Its good to see the fans are willing to make the trip, lets hope when they move back to their regular stadium it is more catered to the football fans. Think the atmosphere will be a lot better in the smaller stadium aswell.

TorontoMO
04-07-2012, 10:15 PM

Easy. I'm not calling you out.

But I would have thought the worst thing you experience in MTL today would have been the utter shit performance of the squad. I think they could have you served you Coors Light in a bucket made of solidified urine and it still wouldn't have been as bad as watching Toronto FC's performance on the field.

Your TEAM let you down today. Not the beer concession stands at a concrete stadium.

Yohan
04-07-2012, 10:41 PM
Believe me im very mad at the team.

But as fan of the league i want the best fan experience in every stadium so that this league and the sport grows in north america

Cashcleaner
04-07-2012, 10:58 PM
My heart goes out to the supporters and fans that made the trip today. You all deserved to see a better performance from the club, though I'm sure most of you still had a good time.

stuart.mac
04-07-2012, 11:04 PM
A lot of guys were saying they werent too upset, they still got to go to the montreal strip clubs haha

London
04-08-2012, 06:53 AM
the team was shit and support matched it.

We had numbers but no substance.

We were outchanted by the family sections next to us at times

I still had fun but yesterday was not a bright spot for TFC on and off the field

4evared
04-08-2012, 07:40 AM

I still had fun but yesterday was not a bright spot for TFC on and off the field

Really?

I thought that we were loud and steady for the whole game yesterday.

The only time I heard the family section was when they piggybacked onto the tailend of our TFC clap-clap-clap chant with the word 'suck' each time.

cmonyoureds
04-08-2012, 08:00 AM

Couldn't disagree with you more. Down 2 - 0 and a team playing like crap and WE still gave 90 minutes. Not sure what game you were at.
And the capo deserves extra credit. He was nothing but spectacular in keeping it going.

We responded to every chant the family section next to us gave out.

canadian_bhoy
04-08-2012, 08:00 AM
I went to see Celtic v Aberdeen at Pittodrie a few years back. The concession stand for the away supporters was one single camper van outside the stadium. LOL. What a shithole. (BTW - not criticizing you, just sharing my example of shitty service to away fans).

tfcleeds
04-08-2012, 08:21 AM
As someone who wasn't at the match, I must say, I think you guys did yourselves proud. I heard you loud and clear for the whole 90 mins on TV.

jazzy
04-08-2012, 08:42 AM

with small juice cup beer glasses serving only 'lite'...so you have to buy about 10 to enjoy...lol ..at 7$ a crack......the 'O' is the shits , miles away from the action.......both skydome and the 'O' are old and too far from the action....though even skydome is more game friendly.

London
04-08-2012, 08:46 AM
Really?

The only time I heard the family section was when they piggybacked onto the tailend of our TFC clap-clap-clap chant with the word 'suck' each time.

Couldn't disagree with you more. Down 2 - 0 and a team playing like crap and WE still gave 90 minutes. Not sure what game you were at.
And the capo deserves extra credit. He was nothing but spectacular in keeping it going.

We responded to every chant the family section next to us gave out.

sorry, shit was a bad term.

there were parts that did represent well, overall we should have been far better.

RPB_AFTER_DARK
04-08-2012, 09:59 AM
starting believe Toronto as a city is cursed

Yeoman
04-08-2012, 11:09 AM
there were several times that was more then a minute or two pause in between songs. it lasted for minutes where no one was doing anything.
i ended up leaving and wandering around the section due to my area being a dead zone. handful of people around me and that was it singing.
was alot better after polish dave moved up and got the ball rolling in there though. mind you people also travelled around to do this as well.

SCF1908
04-08-2012, 11:14 AM
When the capo moved the top got a lot louder and the support was fantastic given the quality of crap on the field. I was in the 4th row in 149 with my kids and it was pumping the entire 90 minutes. You could also feel the concrete of that old decrepit stadium wavering as everyone hopped. As for amenities, pretty much what I would expect for an away section in 40 year old or so stadium. Think about it this way, they actually had beer vendors the entire game, I saw a woman come down in the 89th minute with a tray of beer, when was the last time you saw that at our stadium? That's a pretty good amenity to me.

Frankly, away games are more fun than home matches. Just my opinion.

Yeoman
04-08-2012, 11:31 AM
yeah i'll admit that was pretty sketchy/awesome to feel that
bet the big ol corrupt mafia endorsed engineer never had that in mind for desingings of the big elephant
montreal; the mexico of canada
also who's got pics of future capo?

DOMIN8R
04-08-2012, 11:37 AM
Does anyone know who the guy was whose pants caught fire from the smoke bomb?

Rene Kingsriver
04-08-2012, 12:10 PM
Does anyone know who the guy was whose pants caught fire from the smoke bomb?

Don't know his name but he must be a liar

London
04-08-2012, 01:08 PM
yes yeoman.

we need pics of the "little ultra" pumping up the crowd

prizby
04-08-2012, 01:11 PM
The most disappointing thing was when some Toronto fans were coming in 15-25 mins after kickoff then getting security to move Toronto fans out of the seats that were printed on their tickets. like really; you come in late then you go around other supporters backs just so you can be at your seats. Are your seats really that much more important for them than to support Toronto collectively?

My other issue is that there was more security in the aisle between TFC supporters than there was in the aisle between TFC supports and the Impact fans...and with all the empty seats around the stadium, why are they selling tickets to impact fans in the sections right beside TFC supporters; i'm surprised we didn't see beers being thrown at each other or something...i don't feel that was the smartest thing to do with plenty of seats all over; I think they should have left a whole section empty in between us as a security pre-caution

stuart.mac
04-08-2012, 01:12 PM
I think the support as a whole was great. Again people complaining it was quiet? Not sure what game you were at but I was right up at the front and there was constantly noise from above.

There were more Toronto FC fans in the away section than there were Impact fans in the section behind their net singing and chanting all game. That says a lot for an away game in CANADA.

SCF1908
04-08-2012, 01:16 PM
yeah i'll admit that was pretty sketchy/awesome to feel that
bet the big ol corrupt mafia endorsed engineer never had that in mind for desingings of the big elephant
montreal; the mexico of canada
also who's got pics of future capo?

https://vu9ibg.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pM4zHLwnRAyfNBsd_aDbMttnpxKVFZq8QxQRW6BO4sIm3uJL gbywZ-JrihSWZyY9zCQwpOpRwp-rIFwT7y9fVJxJ-tdASWfzz/Matthias the capo - Montreal.jpg?psid=1

There he is!

That's my son! He's 9.

He's been to tonnes of games including the first home game.

stuart.mac
04-08-2012, 01:21 PM
I was in the 4th row in 149 with my kids and it was pumping the entire 90 minutes. You could also feel the concrete of that old decrepit stadium wavering as everyone hopped..

I was taking a video about 20 minute after the game of the empty stadium and the TFC support (some of whom were still going) and I got a great video of a wee boy screaming at the remaining Impact fans at the top of his leg, in about the 4th row in 149 haha, if that was one of your kids good for him!!! He was more into than some of the fans were haha.

SCF1908
04-08-2012, 01:22 PM
I was taking a video about 20 minute after the game of the empty stadium and the TFC support (some of whom were still going) and I got a great video of a wee boy screaming at the remaining Impact fans at the top of his leg, in about the 4th row in 149 haha, if that was one of your kids good for him!!! He was more into than some of the fans were haha.

There were three kids, two were mine, could have been any of them! They roll together for all the games.

PS any pics or vids would be appreciated!

Parkdale
04-08-2012, 02:23 PM
there were parts that did represent well, overall we should have been far better.

I think that if were were winning at any point in the match, then things naturally would have been better than they were.

The idea that support from the stands can be 100% independent of what's happening on the field doesn't fly with me. If the team is down, the mood is down. We can try our best, but singing for a losing team will never sound as full as singing for a won match. The team responds to the crowd, and the crowd responds to the play.

stuart.mac
04-08-2012, 02:30 PM
There were three kids, two were mine, could have been any of them! They roll together for all the games.

PS any pics or vids would be appreciated!

Here is a screen shot from the video, this boy was into it every time I saw him, and just happened to capture him screaming after the game, true fan!!! (this was him looking up at the Impact fans that were chirping)

http://i42.tinypic.com/2i9ts95.png

stuart.mac
04-08-2012, 02:33 PM
I think that if were were winning at any point in the match, then things naturally would have been better than they were.

The idea that support from the stands can be 100% independent of what's happening on the field doesn't fly with me. If the team is down, the mood is down. We can try our best, but singing for a losing team will never sound as full as singing for a won match. The team responds to the crowd, and the crowd responds to the play.

I 100% agree. The response of "sucks" to the "TFC" chants only came AFTER Impact went up 1-0. They were keeping quiet until their team went up, and then and only then did the Impact fans really get into it. And for the last 5 minutes of the game when Toronto was pushing for an equalizer they were just as quiet and dull, didnt make noise until the final whistle really.

cmonyoureds
04-08-2012, 02:46 PM
That was right across the aisle from me and I gotta say, THAT was worth the price of admission even if the game was crap!!!!
We laughed about that the entire 401 drive home!!!!

(In response to the guy who lit his pants on fire, sorry, somehow the quote of previous post was dropped here)

SCF1908
04-08-2012, 02:49 PM
Here is a screen shot from the video, this boy was into it every time I saw him, and just happened to capture him screaming after the game, true fan!!! (this was him looking up at the Impact fans that were chirping)

http://i42.tinypic.com/2i9ts95.png

That's my buddy's kid, he screamed and chanted from the back of the car almost the entire ride home yesterday after the game, gave us all headaches!

Abou Sky
04-08-2012, 03:20 PM
Yup, I am the owner of that foul mouthed child :)

Same one that bounded out of bed this AM because the Easter Bunny had come, yes he still believes in him, Santa, and a winning TFC.

(in case anyone cares, he is only allowed to swear at games so he sometimes goes full on Tourette's)

stuart.mac
04-08-2012, 03:34 PM
Haha well its great to see the next generation of Toronto FC fans are starting off well

Yeoman
04-08-2012, 03:38 PM
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/419552_348219075220312_289283901113830_1013289_108 1162889_n.jpg

Red Rat
04-08-2012, 04:25 PM
well if you give him a good education your dreams may change

4evared
04-08-2012, 06:03 PM
If you want to talk about support and take a negative veiw on anything that transpired at the game, i have to call out the lack of respect shown by half of our team that failed to come over to us at the end of the game. If thier disappointment was so high about the loss to the Impact, that they could not even face us, they had better make up for it on Saturday at BMO.

SCF1908
04-08-2012, 06:08 PM
If you want to talk about support and take a negative veiw on anything that transpired at the game, i have to call out the lack of respect shown by half of our team that failed to come over to us at the end of the game. If thier disappointment was so high about the loss to the Impact, that they could not even face us, they had better make up for it on Saturday at BMO.

That's interesting, I remember thinking the same thing myself. In fairness they may have been worried about being driven off the field by anger too. But tough shit really, no?

stuart.mac
04-08-2012, 06:11 PM
I was quite surprised by that aswell, about 4 guys took a couple steps towards the support and clapped the rest just walked away. I was expecting at least some aknowledgment, we didn't boo or anything.

vergilg
04-08-2012, 06:23 PM
The concession was pretty shitty, not to mention the beer was tiny and cost a fortune. At the Leafs vs Sens games you can get a tall boy for $8, yet here you get a half pint for $7 (I think). Pretty crappy. But either way, Its good to see the fans are willing to make the trip, lets hope when they move back to their regular stadium it is more catered to the football fans. Think the atmosphere will be a lot better in the smaller stadium aswell.

I didn't know Leafs fan drank beer. I thought they all drink Burkie's cool aid.

adamdz
04-08-2012, 06:24 PM
getting the cold shoulder for years, it wasn't surprising.

Eastend
04-08-2012, 06:34 PM
I was in 259 and singing lasted pretty much the 90 minutes. The capo came and stood right in front of me (a little pissed as I was also trying to watch the game) but it picked up even more when he did. I am told he is part of NEE and he did a good job overall.

Security was fair and even with all the smoke bombs didn't get heavy handed as would surely happen at BMO.

Players and/or coaches not coming over was unfotunate.

As for the concession stand being shorthand, pretty stupid but who cares really. I couldn't believe they were selling in the away supporters section right up to the 90th minute....the one big guy vender was loving the sales. He couldn't believe that BMO didn't have sales in the supporters section. Also, those little cups fit 1 regular bottle.

Glad I went but really sad we lost....sad is the only word that really fits today.

Dom.

RedRum
04-08-2012, 06:41 PM
From the start, the support was always destined to be less than it could have been. On big away matches like this, unless the core supporters pledge to stand with each other - regardless of group affiliation, it just becomes fragmented and weakened. First away game I have not been proud of our support to be honest. Hopefully we can learn from our mistakes, check our egos at the door and pledge to do the right think next time around.

adamdz
04-08-2012, 06:51 PM
From the start, the support was always destined to be less than it could have been. On big away matches like this, unless the core supporters pledge to stand with each other - regardless of group affiliation, it just becomes fragmented and weakened. First away game I have not been proud of our support to be honest. Hopefully we can learn from our mistakes, check our egos at the door and pledge to do the right think next time around.

I don't think it was anything to do with egos (although I could be wrong, I spent the whole game in 1 spot between top and bottom). There was a lack of cohesion in the first half between top and bottom. I think it was more of an issue with security wanting to have clear aisles and people who expected to actually have the seats on their ticket. Those sections also kind of suck like 112 because of their shape.

SCF1908
04-08-2012, 06:53 PM
I noticed some people very silent. Shall I name names? Or best not to call the leaders of the group in question out while their own members brought it.....

SCF1908
04-08-2012, 07:14 PM
By the way, Saturday morning started pretty funny, I was woken up by King Dave belting out - in a rather decent singing voice I might add - "You'll never walk alone" at 8:15 am on our hotel floor. Hilarious.

Alonso
04-08-2012, 07:16 PM
This was my experience to. Everyone around me was chanting and cheering hard and for virtually the whole match. I thought we did great especially when the capo moved up to the second tier of our section...

Really?

DOMIN8R
04-08-2012, 07:29 PM
I noticed some people very silent. Shall I name names? Or best not to call the leaders of the group in question out while their own members brought it.....

What does this mean? Please elaborate.

SCF1908
04-08-2012, 07:32 PM
What does this mean? Please elaborate.

Well, just with unity and cliques being talked about on the board, I found it interesting that three or four names of those considered to be "Leaders" *chuckles* of one of the groups were stone faced and silent the entire time. The members of the group brought it, I just found it interesting.

Phil
04-08-2012, 07:37 PM
I thought support was good. Its always hard when we go into a totally different stadium that is new for us.

As a side note, I was pretty quiet during the game as I have a pretty bad cold I am dealing with. Not sure if the stink finger is being pointed at me though. LOL

SCF1908
04-08-2012, 07:38 PM
I thought support was good. Its always hard when we go into a totally different stadium that is new for us.

As a side note, I was pretty quiet during the game as I have a pretty bad cold I am dealing with. Not sure if the stink finger is being pointed at me though. LOL

Nope. Not RPB.

DOMIN8R
04-08-2012, 07:38 PM
Well, just with unity and cliques being talked about on the board, I found it interesting that three or four names of those considered to be "Leaders" *chuckles* of one of the groups were stone faced and silent the entire time. The members of the group brought it, I just found it interesting.

Spit it out. Don't be scared. You seem to have it all figured out. Tell us who brought it and fit your mold of the right way of supporting. Teach us a lesson or two on how to do it right like they do eleswhere. I'm sure that we can all learn from your sage and seasoned supporter insights.

SCF1908
04-08-2012, 07:43 PM
Spit it out. Don't be scared. You seem to have it all figured out. Tell us who brought it and fit your mold of the right way of supporting. Teach us a lesson or two on how to do it right like they do eleswhere. I'm sure that we can all learn from your sage and seasoned supporter insights.

My, someone's getting pissy. Settle down darling.

I have my opinions and they are mine only, in some cases they are in line with other people and in some cases they are not. I don't expect everyone to agree with me nor do I expect to agree with everyone.

Pretty simple concept no?

I made a remark about what I noticed and if you don't like it take it up with the guys in U-Sector who are brothers that are the guys in question.

Chris Wren
04-08-2012, 07:51 PM
The security was great. They had a cool attitude and were helpful. The beer was shitty, but it was non stop and sold to the final whistle. Complaining about the beer surprises. I can't believe there is complaining about the atmosphere. I thought it was great. I know it's a great offense to say anything negative about the capo, but it's enough with the hands up, sitdown, sing slow, sing fast stuff. I know he's trying to help, but at times I thought it was like the dj at a club clearing the dance floor. Just help with the chants and forget the theatrics. If some thought there was a bad atmosphere, maybe it's time to look in the mirror. There are complaints about, as always, the non affiliated supporters being hooligans who don't get it but Polish Dave gets all sorts of praise for shouting Fuck You Montreal through a megaphone. Those 'chants' died a quick death, but it happened at least 3 times. Most of the folks there were not into that sort of stuff. People like chanting, but not that. Also, there was a game and people were watching it. There is nothing wrong with being passionately into the game too. Rant over.

Toronto
04-08-2012, 08:07 PM
The security was great. They had a cool attitude and were helpful. The beer was shitty, but it was non stop and sold to the final whistle. Complaining about the beer surprises. I can't believe there is complaining about the atmosphere. I thought it was great. I know it's a great offense to say anything negative about the capo, but it's enough with the hands up, sitdown, sing slow, sing fast stuff. I know he's trying to help, but at times I thought it was like the dj at a club clearing the dance floor. Just help with the chants and forget the theatrics. If some thought there was a bad atmosphere, maybe it's time to look in the mirror. There are complaints about, as always, the non affiliated supporters being hooligans who don't get it but Polish Dave gets all sorts of praise for shouting Fuck You Montreal through a megaphone. Those 'chants' died a quick death, but it happened at least 3 times. Most of the folks there were not into that sort of stuff. People like chanting, but not that. Also, there was a game and people were watching it. There is nothing wrong with being passionately into the game too. Rant over.

Had the team won, it would be talked about in the same breath as a trip to Wembley. The beer would never tasted so sweet. Seems like Montreal was a good host except on the scoreboard. This should be a good day for soccer in the country.

Detroit_TFC
04-08-2012, 08:33 PM
Overall, I imagine the section looked good. We don't have away travel frequent enough in these numbers to work out some of the coordination issues, either between the groups or on game day. In any case we just had what probably will be the second largest visiting support this season, assuming that Portland supporters can get 2500 tickets for their game in Seattle (I think that was the agreed amount, not certain of that). Even after 5 years of garbage football.

adamdz
04-08-2012, 08:37 PM

If all I wanted to do was watch the game, I would have done that in the comfort of my home or a pub. I would like to think that if you make it to an away match, you would make an effort to be more then just a body.

We will never in this city agree on which type of support works best. He is a fan of vocal and visual support for 90 minutes, and that comes across in the way he capos. If you are a fan of a different style of support thats fine, but you are not likely to change the opinion of others and the way of support they think is best. Be thankful there are still people like him who are willing to step up and offer some kind of encouragement/coordination because alot of people have gotten tired of being heckled and criticized when they are only trying to make things better. Support in this city has been fairly stagnant and seen little to no growth for several years, and as the numbers in the stands start to dwindle this is only going to get worse.

phonzo
04-08-2012, 08:51 PM
on a point of constructive commentary on how to improve it - the sections were a lot bigger then "normally" when we are on the road and coordination of top and bottom was almost impossible especially without anyone in the middle to carry things upwards. I tried from time to time to carry it upwards but it was hard to even time when the drum was "quiet" from the upper sections. Either way lessons learned and we need to find a few more loud voices to fill in the middle bits :)

Phil
04-08-2012, 08:52 PM
If all I wanted to do was watch the game, I would have done that in the comfort of my home or a pub. I would like to think that if you make it to an away match, you would make an effort to be more then just a body.

We will never in this city agree on which type of support works best. He is a fan of vocal and visual support for 90 minutes, and that comes across in the way he capos. If you are a fan of a different style of support thats fine, but you are not likely to change the opinion of others and the way of support they think is best. Be thankful there are still people like him who are willing to step up and offer some kind of encouragement/coordination because alot of people have gotten tired of being heckled and criticized when they are only trying to make things better. Support in this city has been fairly stagnant and seen little to no growth for several years, and as the numbers in the stands start to dwindle this is only going to get worse.

Ya, the smoke bombs helped on that front. Maybe its time your group started a conversation with the club?

spe18
04-08-2012, 08:55 PM
assuming that Portland supporters can get 2500 tickets for their game in Seattle (I think that was the agreed amount, not certain of that).

I believe the agreement between the 3 Cascadia Cup teams is 500 tickets for the visiting suppoters, plus whatever amounts they can get in other sections!

Phil
04-08-2012, 08:57 PM
I think there was an agreement between the big O and Impact to use the stadium for big games over the next three years. Less than 20,000 does not bode well for them going forward though.

adamdz
04-08-2012, 09:00 PM
Ya, the smoke bombs helped on that front. Maybe its time your group started a conversation with the club?

Sorry, but even though I am proponent of such things, my post made no mention of them. That post was made strictly with respect to the way chants should unfold/be lead (including timing and selection).

Phil
04-08-2012, 09:03 PM
Sorry, but even though I am proponent of such things, my post made no mention of them. That post was made strictly with respect to the way chants should unfold/be lead (including timing and selection).

Fair enough, my apologies. No offence indicated to you on that front. Just talking broadly as this and other threads have been talking about it.

AL-MO
04-08-2012, 09:53 PM
https://vu9ibg.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pM4zHLwnRAyfNBsd_aDbMttnpxKVFZq8QxQRW6BO4sIm3uJL gbywZ-JrihSWZyY9zCQwpOpRwp-rIFwT7y9fVJxJ-tdASWfzz/Matthias%20the%20capo%20-%20Montreal.jpg?psid=1

There he is!

That's my son! He's 9.

He's been to tonnes of games including the first home game.

Your son rocks.

Future full time capo!

Phil
04-08-2012, 09:55 PM
I made a remark about what I noticed and if you don't like it take it up with the guys in U-Sector who are brothers that are the guys in question.

I suggest you go to their board and see the reception. Don't bring drama here otherwise you will be shown the door.

Chris Wren
04-08-2012, 10:37 PM
As usual, the point is missed. I found the crowd was great. Those who complain have some idea in their head that the only real fans are the ones singing all the time (regardless of logic. The big O isn't our Graceland or our home, so why would I sing that?). When I say people were watching the game the response is always the same. Watching the game suddenly is a step away from being at the Library. I actually like soccer. When I watch at home I'm yelling at the T.V., just like when I watch live I yell and scream at the action. The capo may have good intentions, but the constant snarl and being repeatedly yelled at to wake up isn't inspiring, nor ar really ugly chants like FU Montreal. That's why I say some of those who choose to take on the responsibility of cheerleader need to look in the mirror if they don't get the results they are after. I had a great time despite the loss and thought it was a great day for Canadian soccer. I was bummed reading the complaints about fellow TFC supporters. Just trying to clarify my earlier rant, which is officially over.

jazzy
04-08-2012, 10:52 PM

call me crazy but singing just can't get enough when we are down 2-0, is a misrepresentation,...of my feelings,..lol

NeeeN
04-08-2012, 11:49 PM
I think that both “General admittance' in Montreal away supporters section (http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?31387-General-admittance-in-Montreal-away-supporters-section/page4)” and “Away Support (http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?31380-Away-Support)“ threads are pretty much about the same thing so I took a few quoats from the other thread and post in here.

I’ll start on a positive side. The support wasn’t all that bad. Yes we could of done better but it wasn’t a total shit show. With the simpler chants(We Love You, Allez Allzez, Just can’t get enough or simple TFC clap clap clap) everyone or most people had their hands up, they were jumping and chanting

The away support not only showed up in numbers, but they made themselves heard loud and clear, Toronto FC has the BEST MLS away support. So thank you to all the fans who made the long trip out to Quebec to see the game, I didnt see a single empty seat in the supporters section, and quite a few TFC fans scattered throughout the general crowd. (Many with the RPB scarfs on

I’m glad that you are positive and that you enjoyed yourself but TFC is no where close to having the BEST MLS away support. Just out of curiosity, besides MTL which away game were you at last?

Like I said, I don’t think we were that bad at all. Yea the Impact supporters in the section beside us got into it here and there but we responded with an anti-Impact chant and it seemed to quite them down, now I’m reading that some were offended by the Swearing in those chants :O Considering we were losing, again, we chanted for 90min. Yes some we too shy to open the mouths and chant but they were also many who lost their voices.

Good post and I agree with 99% of it. It is hard to support when we keep losing, like you said the energy just isn’t there, it doesn’t matter what we do it just won’t be the same. The only thing that I would say/add is that away trips are a little different. Not only do we chant and support the team but we also represent Toronto. If the the team is doing bad we should try to be as loud as possible, players are fighting on the field, we need to fight in the stands, represent the badge from the stands and show Home supporters who we are.

I was in 259 and singing lasted pretty much the 90 minutes. The capo came and stood right in front of me (a little pissed as I was also trying to watch the game) but it picked up even more when he did. I am told he is part of NEE and he did a good job overall.

Security was fair and even with all the smoke bombs didn't get heavy handed as would surely happen at BMO.
Dom.

No I am not a part off NEE

In regards to your security comment I agree. They were really fair and professional. I was actually pleasantly surprised.

…I can't believe there is complaining about the atmosphere. I thought it was great. I know it's a great offense to say anything negative about the capo, but it's enough with the hands up, sitdown, sing slow, sing fast stuff. I know he's trying to help, but at times I thought it was like the dj at a club clearing the dance floor. Just help with the chants and forget the theatrics. If some thought there was a bad atmosphere, maybe it's time to look in the mirror. There are complaints about, as always, the non affiliated supporters being hooligans who don't get it but Polish Dave gets all sorts of praise for shouting Fuck You Montreal through a megaphone. Those 'chants' died a quick death, but it happened at least 3 times. Most of the folks there were not into that sort of stuff. People like chanting, but not that. Also, there was a game and people were watching it. There is nothing wrong with being passionately into the game too. Rant over.

hmmmm… Not sure what to tell you. I’m open to new ideas, I like to get feedback from supporters about the way I capo, I always want to improve. I try to mix all the different supporter styles together and get everyone going. When it comes to hands up, down, fast, slow, sitdown, get up is a way to look better visually when vocally we are not the best. If the capo(whoever that might be) tells you to put your hands up or sit down, do it and don’t complain. The capos don’t watch any of the game, they don’t get to be “passionately into the game”, they lose their voices, they sacrifice everything to improve the support, so show them some respect by cooperating even if it’s not your favorite chant.

In regards to swearing, I don’t usually swear on the Megaphone out of respect for others, I definitely don’t swear AT people but when we are playing Montreal IN Montreal for our first official so called “Derby” in MLS there will be swearing and anit-Montreal chants that have swearing. Not sure who was offended or who wasn’t “into that sort of stuff” but life is tough sometimes and I’m hoping they are not to traumatized and that they will be ok.

So did the people who brought and lit the smoke bombs in actually hold on to them or did they do the same pussy move they always do which is throw it and run?

LOfuckingL

When we arrived we saw some supporters in our seats. Then then tried to tell us our seats were general admittance. It didnt say that on the tickets, website or any rep from montreal or ticketmaster. Dunno what supporters group they were from but they were really big dicks about it. Ended up getting our seats anyways (thanks to security). This shouldnt of been an issue. None of us had any problem with squeezing extra people into our row or anything like that but we definitely have a problem with people telling us that the seats we paid for arent ours to sit in. People sorta whined afterwards. The dudes next to us started out cold but ended up being nice guys. Just thought that should get aired out. Was pretty disappointed fellow supporters would act that way.

Which previous road trip had assigned seating? Ohh yea your ticket didn’t say General Admission on it right? Did you ever go on a TFC road trip where your ticket said “General Admission”? No ticket will ever say General Admission and no away trip will ever have assigned seating, it’s not possible, especially on a big trip like Montreal.

“Was pretty disappointed fellow supporters would act that way”??? Well I’m sure some fellow supporters were pretty disappointed with you.

Ooltra supporter don't care about anything except support. Lit bombs, sing songs pay no attention to why you are there.

Look! It's a pile on from the oooltras. Shouldn't you guys have your own SG and message board or something?

Sorry to burst your bubble but No he unfortunately is not a pile on from the Ooltras. He couldn’t afford the membership fee.

You guys are really something else.. I’m slowly getting to know who’s who(putting board names to faces) so I’ll just talk to you in person next time I bump into you.

Do I think smoke and flares add substance to displays and look pretty cool? Absolutely!

Would I like to see more of them? Absolutely!

Do I want to break MLS and stadium rules in order to enjoy these? Absolutely NOT!

Think about it for two seconds:

Would you rather use flares and smoke and then have Garber and MLS clamp down on Toronto away support like they did to Houston?

or

Would you rather be able to go to any and all away games, support the team with flags, banners, two-sticks, drums, singing etc?

Do you really want to be part of the small, small minority that ruin away game experiences for everyone else because MLS made a statement at the beginning of the season with Houston and I am willing to bet that if we weren't already on a short leash for past episodes, we are now going to be on a short leash.

I think smoke and flares are great, but I MUCH rather be able to go to away games and wave flags and hold 2-sticks and reveal banners and have a drum to keep chants to a beat then to RISK losing these and I really hope those that are inclined to light a flare or smoke think about the future and not so much the present

Great post… Really hits the nail on the head.

This season we have an almost perfect away schedule for Supporters, pretty much one driveable east coast trip a month. Everyone has so much to say on the boards but I’m really curious how many of you I’ll be seeing in Montreal on May 2nd or DC May 19th…

Polish Dave aka Capo aka Ooltra aka Guy with the megaphone aka Tifo Maker

NeeeN
04-08-2012, 11:52 PM
As usual, the point is missed. I found the crowd was great. Those who complain have some idea in their head that the only real fans are the ones singing all the time (regardless of logic. The big O isn't our Graceland or our home, so why would I sing that?). When I say people were watching the game the response is always the same. Watching the game suddenly is a step away from being at the Library. I actually like soccer. When I watch at home I'm yelling at the T.V., just like when I watch live I yell and scream at the action. The capo may have good intentions, but the constant snarl and being repeatedly yelled at to wake up isn't inspiring, nor ar really ugly chants like FU Montreal. That's why I say some of those who choose to take on the responsibility of cheerleader need to look in the mirror if they don't get the results they are after. I had a great time despite the loss and thought it was a great day for Canadian soccer. I was bummed reading the complaints about fellow TFC supporters. Just trying to clarify my earlier rant, which is officially over.

Who are you refering too?

Abou Sky
04-09-2012, 12:24 AM
call me crazy but singing just can't get enough when we are down 2-0, is a misrepresentation,...of my feelings,..lol

Ya man, I thought that was a 'when we're winning' song?

I can most defo get enough of being down 2-0

SCF1908
04-09-2012, 06:25 AM
I suggest you go to their board and see the reception. Don't bring drama here otherwise you will be shown the door.

Fair enough. Someone demanded I name names. So I did. I shall refrain from further comment on the matter.

Chris Wren
04-09-2012, 06:38 AM
Neeen, I am referring to you. You highlighted half of a sentence, the other half said take a look in the mirror if you aren't getting the results you are hoping for. I don't really care about your self sacrafice. Maybe you should watch the game once in awhile, you might actually enjoy yourself rather than feeling like a martyr. My voice is shot too, and I sang most of the game. I'm not offended by the swearing but it became obvious that most people weren't into that. Listen to what works rather than what you feel should be sung. It's a two way street.

TorontoGooner
04-09-2012, 06:46 AM
I love away games. As far as I'm concerned, you don't necessarily have to sing if you don't feel inclined to. Being a loyal supporter isn't necessarily singing for 90 minutes, its making the huge round trip and taking up your spare time and money. Yes, at home games, you should sing in a supporters section, but people shouldn't be called out at away games. I think that's a tad harsh as they've already proven their commitment.

Overall I thought we were superb today, just saw the highlights when I got back and we look pretty fucking cool up in that top left corner. The little kid on the megaphone was hilarious, gave me a right good laugh.

Well done to everyone who made the effort, despite the shitty performance. Definetly going to squeeze in as many away games as I can now. Not to repay the team, because they don't fucking deserve that, but to get a few more numbers and make us look cool!!

stuart.mac
04-09-2012, 06:55 AM
I’m glad that you are positive and that you enjoyed yourself but TFC is no where close to having the BEST MLS away support. Just out of curiosity, besides MTL which away game were you at last?

Don't think you understood what I was saying. I wasn't saying Montreal was the best I have see the Toronto Away Support. I am saying no other team (New York, Columbus, Chivas, LA) can get the same amount of people to go to away games, with the same passion and love for their team that Toronto.

Yeoman
04-09-2012, 04:42 PM
*insert reach around for the timbers*
they sold three full sections to new york last year to just the TA.
how do i know? i was there *insert pies and dicks to be thrown at me*
we're not what we use to be. personally i blame al gore for our drop in away attendance

Yeoman
04-09-2012, 04:44 PM
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/s720x720/535657_10150801364840348_510800347_11723682_104778 9092_n.jpg

stolen straight from intarnets

adamdz
04-09-2012, 05:04 PM
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/s720x720/535657_10150801364840348_510800347_11723682_104778 9092_n.jpg

im calling the pooice

Yeoman
04-09-2012, 05:23 PM
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/541683_10150773177976049_506421048_11639022_189839 498_n.jpg

dey bein callllllllllzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Fort York Redcoat
04-09-2012, 06:04 PM
I appreciate the fact you wanted to spread the vibe Neeen and amp up the support in both sections, (top and bottom) but it takes 2 of you to keep that size of a place going. I tried to use Davyd and to help Red Rat right beside me but it was tough to hear at all.

Chris, the only way I could help with syncing the 2 sections was those "theatrics" you were talking about. It sounded twice as big and was incredible but it takes looking away from the run of play. I don't want to do that all game and appreciate the hell out of those who will. I love the singing united.

One thing that I will say in agreement is that I don't mind downtime in between songs but then you get into "how long is too long?" and "how long to wait?"

"JukeBox" is the term used here for what you are referring to. Just following the script and not reacting to the run of play.

I don't care for the term but I also prefer to read the crowd around me. If I'm the only one singing I lose my voice faster. That sucks.

SCF1908
04-09-2012, 06:31 PM

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree!

He was also featured in the Feyenoord Kameraadjes magazine with his brother, which is the club magazine for kids. He LOVES this club, way more than I do if I am honest, because although he is born a Feyenoorder he's seen them play just once in Rotterdam while he has been to dozens of games here.

Toronto
04-09-2012, 06:35 PM
The apple doesn't fall far from the tree!

He was also featured in the Feyenoord Kameraadjes magazine with his brother, which is the club magazine for kids. He LOVES this club, way more than I do if I am honest, because although he is born a Feyenoorder he's seen them play just once in Rotterdam while he has been to dozens of games here.

The view of the field looks good.

Yohan
04-09-2012, 06:37 PM
Since when did we start a youth capo academy? ;)

Chris Wren
04-09-2012, 10:02 PM
Fort York, why is Seven Nation Army never done anymore? I can't think of an easier chant that unites everyone. I would think that if unity amongst supporters is the goal the simple chants are best. The kid capo might be cute to those that know him, but to me it's another example of people being in their own world. How can people be critical of fans or supporters who love soccer and think the game is the most important thing, and like that? Once again I want to stress I had a great time, which is what got me bothered when I read criticism of fellow fans who drove 500+ Km to be at the game. I wish just once my support would be embraced rather than criticised.

stuart.mac
04-09-2012, 10:27 PM
I wish just once my support would be embraced rather than criticised.
that's exactly what i was trying to do with this post, but it got lost amongst the talk haha

Abou Sky
04-09-2012, 10:31 PM
Fort York, why is Seven Nation Army never done anymore? I can't think of an easier chant that unites everyone. I would think that if unity amongst supporters is the goal the simple chants are best. The kid capo might be cute to those that know him, but to me it's another example of people being in their own world. How can people be critical of fans or supporters who love soccer and think the game is the most important thing, and like that? Once again I want to stress I had a great time, which is what got me bothered when I read criticism of fellow fans who drove 500+ Km to be at the game. I wish just once my support would be embraced rather than criticised.

I am at a bit of a loss, why is it not OK to have a kid lead a chant?

stuart.mac
04-09-2012, 10:38 PM
I think having the kid cap for a few minutes was great, it didn't take away any of the atmosphere

Kyle_121
04-09-2012, 10:46 PM
I am at a bit of a loss, why is it not OK to have a kid lead a chant?

Because that kid has shown more true support than Chris Wren will ever.

Shakes McQueen
04-09-2012, 11:25 PM
Because that kid has shown more true support than Chris Wren will ever.

Hey look - unnecessary and pointless trolling.

- Scot

TFC1154ever
04-09-2012, 11:47 PM
Just to throw it out there,I started a few chants there. In 115,we usually sing seven nations army after we score. Tried to start it....didn't go

Chris Wren
04-09-2012, 11:58 PM
My point seemed clear. I was mocked by the capo for saying that some supporters are passionately into the game. If that is what I'm missing out on by watching the game I guess I'll forever be a bad supporter. Now I have to move on from this topic, I just wanted to answer the surprising confusion over my post.

Fort York Redcoat
04-10-2012, 07:05 AM

Seven Nation Army. We could do it. I'll be honest some chants get tired or changed and in this case I stopped singing it because it reminds me how I'd rather be singing it for a corner kick to" A ma do Gue var ra". I'd sing it again. There are very few chants I refuse to sing. e.g. "this is our house" when we're away and losing. It doesn't even work ironically.

Belfast_Boy
04-10-2012, 08:35 AM
I was standing about half way up in 151. there were a lot of dead spots in the crowd. I could see rows of guys standing around chatting.
when the drum and capo moved up that helped and I think we might want to consider doing that at home.
i was a little disappointed at times with the lack of effort. the play on the pitch didn't help.

Abou Sky
04-10-2012, 09:28 AM
My point seemed clear. I was mocked by the capo for saying that some supporters are passionately into the game. If that is what I'm missing out on by watching the game I guess I'll forever be a bad supporter. Now I have to move on from this topic, I just wanted to answer the surprising confusion over my post.

Honestly I still don't get the point of there being an issue with a kid leading a chant and what it has to do with 'supporterness' or not.

I think I probably consider myself a soccer fan first, and a TFC supporter second. I am there because I want to watch the game, I got good seats because I want to watch the game, I don't get trashed because I want to REMEMBER the game (ok, may reconsider this one). I will chant and sing and yell but not at the expense of watching the game.

Fort York Redcoat
04-10-2012, 09:39 AM
The kid capo might be cute to those that know him, but to me it's another example of people being in their own world. How can people be critical of fans or supporters who love soccer and think the game is the most important thing, and like that? Once again I want to stress I had a great time, which is what got me bothered when I read criticism of fellow fans who drove 500+ Km to be at the game. I wish just once my support would be embraced rather than criticised.

Honestly I still don't get the point of there being an issue with a kid leading a chant and what it has to do with 'supporterness' or not.

I think I probably consider myself a soccer fan first, and a TFC supporter second. I am there because I want to watch the game, I got good seats because I want to watch the game, I don't get trashed because I want to REMEMBER the game (ok, may reconsider this one). I will chant and sing and yell but not at the expense of watching the game.

The 2 of you are actually agreeing on how you watch a game. The difference is one doesn't believe in capos. That's it.

Fort York Redcoat
04-10-2012, 09:43 AM
I was standing about half way up in 151. there were a lot of dead spots in the crowd. I could see rows of guys standing around chatting.
when the drum and capo moved up that helped and I think we might want to consider doing that at home.
i was a little disappointed at times with the lack of effort. the play on the pitch didn't help.

I think we're getting closer to a solution for it here.

The drum probably could've been higher (midway, 5 to 8 rows up) more like at home and the regulars at the bottom could do the regular thing while it would've at least carried to the the bottom and to the middle. I think that would've been JUST close enough for the second drum to be at the halfway mark between the 2 sections.

Live and learn.

Belfast_Boy
04-10-2012, 09:52 AM
that's all we can do Pete. live and learn.
winning cures all. if there was a better product on the pitch we wouldn't be having these pissing contests about support. remember we're all here for the same reason.

Brooker
04-10-2012, 10:05 AM
Chris Wren = Kenny?

denime
04-10-2012, 10:50 AM
Chris Wren = Kenny?

No,and that's personal be careful

KingBee
04-11-2012, 11:54 AM
After reading many of the comments in this thread, here is my take on the match at the Big O.

As a TFC fan from NB, the matches I attend require a sizeable time/money commitment. As such, I really appreciate any TFC supporter who shows up at an away match whether they sing/chant non-stop or not.

I sat in a section across the stadium from the TFC supporters section, and about the same distance away from the Impact supporters. Both groups were loud, but I felt like the TFC group was louder earlier in the match. I'd echo the sentiment that it's harder to keep cheering your guts out, when your team is on the losing end. That being said, I was still impressed with the bursts of noise out of the corner.

Security/atmosphere - Had a conversation with a security dude about Moosehead and the Buccaneers Pub, that's it. No issues siting in with locals, so I didn't see how the supporters section was treated by security. I did get shouted at to "Go Home" by some old man as I was leaving the stadium, and another guy ranted about Ty Harden as I made my way to the Metro. Not sure what he thought I could do to make TY Harden play better.

Concesssions - Lots of choice of booze, food, etc. There wasn't a line up for anything, and at the half I whipped in and out of the facilities lightning fast.

Stadium - It's an old shitty mess with carpet for a playing surface. Still loved watching in a building with history, though. Hate to see TFC lose, but was happy for the MTL supporters. Hope they can sell more tickets and ride the wave into a playoff spot. Maybe they'll not have to wait 6 years.