PDA

View Full Version : Over 18,000 sold so far for TFC L'impact at the Big O.

Red CB Toronto
04-06-2012, 10:33 AM
According to the Montreal Gazette in their Wednesday edition over 18,000 ticket have been sold so far for Saturday. Lower than I would have expected considering the Toronto factor and the fact they had 58,000 a few weeks ago for the opener, hopefully over the next day or so and with walkups they will push it up, love to see 30, 000 +

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/soccer/Languishing+Impact+with+fresh+legs/6405993/story.html

Jack
04-06-2012, 10:38 AM
I hope they sell 20k and only 15k show up. I hope they don't make any money off the tickets. Fuck them. g:D

brad
04-06-2012, 11:33 AM
Are there a large number of our supporters going (not just RPB, but overall)?

SoccMan
04-06-2012, 12:13 PM
I hope they sell out Olympic Stadium for all the games that are played there, I want the Whitecaps to sell out every home game they play. Heck I would like every MLS team to sell out all of their home games just like I want TFC to sell out every home game. I want the MLS to become one of the most popular leagues in North America, don't think that will happen but I can always hope,however, I want only one team to have success on the field and that's TFC.

kodiakTFC
04-06-2012, 01:13 PM
The atmosphere is going to be absolutely awful with only 18000 fans.

ManUtd4ever
04-06-2012, 01:17 PM
Wow, that's very underwhelming, and surprising given the matchup.

Super
04-06-2012, 02:06 PM
Advantage for us then. Good news!

Yohan
04-06-2012, 02:07 PM
Montreal is more of a hype city than TFC. plus noon start for the game? someone screwed up big time

Auzzy
04-06-2012, 02:10 PM
If it's true that there are about 1000 TFC fans expected, they should be quite noticeable given that crowd.

Red CB Toronto
04-06-2012, 02:12 PM
Montreal is more of a hype city than TFC. plus noon start for the game? someone screwed up big time

You can thank TSN for the time change, World Curling Championships is on at 2 pm. Big ratings grabber here in Canada.

Red CB Toronto
04-06-2012, 02:17 PM
That is for sure , considering that over 2,500 of the 13, 843 of those who attended the 2008 Columbus Invasion were a part of the Sea of Red. So all those their tomorrow for the Reds will not go unnoticed.

__wowza
04-06-2012, 02:47 PM
columbus 2.0
we're gonna be louder.
we're gonna be harder.
we're definately gonna do it with more heart.

their first win in the MLS vs. ours.
LET'S FUCKING DO THIS.

TorontoMO
04-06-2012, 07:32 PM
[QUOTE=ManUtd4ever;1469702]Wow, that's very underwhelming, and surprising given the matchup.[/QUOTEsi

Yes considering how both teams are fighting for the basement. Battle of the Paperbag heads. I'm sure the locals have been waiting for years to see JDG play. Yup can't figure out whey the haven't sold 60,000 tickets....

I'm sure the Ultra's are looking forward to it. I'm sure if Montreal came to TO and the game was the Rogers Centre there would only be about 20K there as well. Cause we've waited all our lives to see Coradi play. TBH-- If I was a causal Impact fan, I'd skip the noon game, and catch NYRB and the Galaxy later on at Olympic Stadium.

I bet they end up with 28,000 at the game.

Red CB Toronto
04-06-2012, 08:40 PM
The Toronto Sun's Kurt Larson tweeted that the impact are expecting 30k.

Sweeper
04-06-2012, 10:23 PM
I'm embarrassed that soccer takes a back seat to curling here in Canada. I will leave it at that for fear of offending some passionate curling fan.

ManUtd4ever
04-06-2012, 11:54 PM
Yes considering how both teams are fighting for the basement. Battle of the Paperbag heads. I'm sure the locals have been waiting for years to see JDG play. Yup can't figure out whey the haven't sold 60,000 tickets....

I'm sure the Ultra's are looking forward to it. I'm sure if Montreal came to TO and the game was the Rogers Centre there would only be about 20K there as well. Cause we've waited all our lives to see Coradi play. TBH-- If I was a causal Impact fan, I'd skip the noon game, and catch NYRB and the Galaxy later on at Olympic Stadium.

I bet they end up with 28,000 at the game.

Although I appreciate the dripping sarcasm intended in your post, I think saner minds can understand that 18,000 tickets is a surprisingly low number considering that Montreal just recently attracted 60,000 people for their home opener against Chicago, and the anticipation is that TFC is expected to be their arch rival in their new league surroundings. I never suggested that the match should be a sellout, but 30,000-40,000 is a reasonable expectation considering that it's the inaugral MLS matchup between Toronto and Montreal.

Furthermore, the current standings have minimal implications on attendance at this point considering that there are 30 games left in the season.

TFC07
04-07-2012, 12:34 AM
TSN is a joke! I wish CBC won MLS TV rights in Canada.

TorontoMO
04-07-2012, 10:13 AM
Although I appreciate the dripping sarcasm intended in your post, I think saner minds can understand that 18,000 tickets is a surprisingly low number considering that Montreal just recently attracted 60,000 people for their home opener against Chicago, and the anticipation is that TFC is expected to be their arch rival in their new league surroundings. I never suggested that the match should be a sellout, but 30,000-40,000 is a reasonable expectation considering that it's the inaugral MLS matchup between Toronto and Montreal.

Furthermore, the current standings have minimal implications on attendance at this point considering that there are 30 games left in the season.

Didn't we draw 47K one day and then the next home date didn't sell out BMO? As much I love TFC, for a fan in Montreal or Boston we're as glamorous as the Crew or Rapids are to Toronto. I doubt we could get 40K again this year and I doubt the Limpact will get more than 30K for any of their games at Olympic Stadium the rest of the way. The markets just aren't there. In time, let's hope.

TBH-- I doubt Montreal in Toronto creates more interest in the casual fan in TO than LA or Henry coming to town.

ensco
04-07-2012, 10:16 AM
It is true that the "rivalry" between Montreal and Toronto (making a broader comment, not just about sports) really only exists in Toronto.

TFC07
04-07-2012, 10:33 AM
It is true that the "rivalry" between Montreal and Toronto (making a broader comment, not just about sports) really only exists in Toronto.

No, not really. Toronto is still hated in Montreal and Montreal supporters are really pumped playing against Toronto. It's Montreal hockey fans who don't care about Toronto Maple Leafs since they have more hated rivalry with Boston.

Beach_Red
04-07-2012, 11:22 AM

It could eeally pick up again, though. I saw this line in an article about politics today, but it applies:

“It’s like having a loose tooth and wiggling it with your tongue. If the tooth isn’t already loose, you can’t wiggle it.”

So, there's definitely a loose tooth between Montreal and Toronto that can be wiggled. Even the team colours, red and blue, make it look like a Quebec-Canada rivalry. This is could really just be the beginning.