PDA

View Full Version : JDG

volunteer
04-06-2012, 01:04 AM
has everyone stopped being mad at JDG for that one time he went out clubbing, got drunk and was too hungover to play the next day @NYRB to now hoping he'll actually do that more often? i know i am.

aren't you all tired of giving him the benefit of the doubt match after match, season after season based solely- not on anything that he's actually ever done but on him just being CANADIAN and 'ZOMG he played in YUROP!!!'?

razor787
04-06-2012, 01:25 AM
I love how there was all this praise for the guy after the past few games. He has been playing really well for us in Frings' absence and he has stepped up his game. Not to the same level as Frings obviously, but his performance has definitely gone up. Now after one bad tackle people are calling for his head on a platter.

Im not a DeGuzman fan. I was in the start, but then he proved he didn't deserve my affection (my DeGuzman shirt has been sitting in a pile on the floor in my room for quite some time now). He made a horrible tackle which gave up a pk. Shit happens. If it was Frings that had made it, im sure it would be easily forgiven. If we lost the game by one goal, then I could understand calling for his head.

To call him a (expletive) on and off the pitch doesn't make sense. He has been fairly active in the community, made several charity appearance, and has had several games where he showed up big when we needed it. He is a decent guy, just not the quality of player that we need for the money.

That being said, I would like to see him gone at the end of the year as he hasn't shown value for the money. I would much rather have a DP CB to control the backline. My dream team is one on each line (Defence, Midfield, Forewards) and that doesn't seem too far fetched, since Winter said that he wants the same thing.

ArmenJBX
04-06-2012, 01:29 AM
He doesn't really "do" anything.

When he's defending, he stands between players and jumps when the ball is passed, or lunges but ultimately doesn't touch the ball.
When he's attacking, he passes back to Ty Harden who gives it to Eckersley who boots it upfield.

He just doesn't do the work. He's lazy or has a bad attitude.

DoubleUp
04-06-2012, 01:33 AM
I love how there was all this praise for the guy after the past few games. He has been playing really well for us in Frings' absence and he has stepped up his game. Not to the same level as Frings obviously, but his performance has definitely gone up. Now after one bad tackle people are calling for his head on a platter.

Im not a DeGuzman fan. I was in the start, but then he proved he didn't deserve my affection (my DeGuzman shirt has been sitting in a pile on the floor in my room for quite some time now). He made a horrible tackle which gave up a pk. Shit happens. If it was Frings that had made it, im sure it would be easily forgiven. If we lost the game by one goal, then I could understand calling for his head.

To call him a (expletive) on and off the pitch doesn't make sense. He has been fairly active in the community, made several charity appearance, and has had several games where he showed up big when we needed it. He is a decent guy, just not the quality of player that we need for the money.

That being said, I would like to see him gone at the end of the year as he hasn't shown value for the money. I would much rather have a DP CB to control the backline. My dream team is one on each line (Defence, Midfield, Forewards) and that doesn't seem too far fetched, since Winter said that he wants the same thing.

I think thats all that needs to be said on the matter imo.

TFCRegina
04-06-2012, 01:45 AM
He played and continues to play poorly, but the OPs initial comments are way offside. Simple as that. I hope the mods do something about this.

If you can't discuss his weaknesses without resorting to personal name calling, you shouldn't be discussing him at all.

Ageroo
04-06-2012, 01:49 AM
He played and continues to play poorly, but the OPs initial comments are way offside. Simple as that. I hope the mods do something about this.

If you can't discuss his weaknesses without resorting to personal name calling, you shouldn't be discussing him at all.

Inappropriate line has been removed and user has been notified of such. As Lars has pointed out no personal name calling needed by OP. Please keep personal attacks out of the argument.

MartinUtd
04-06-2012, 01:49 AM
Was wondering when this thread would come up.

This isn't about one bad tackle, JDG is having a major gaffe nearly every game now. It was only 4 days ago that he cost us the losing goal against Columbus and thats not to mention his listless efforts and continuous giveaways. This isn't an unwarranted witch hunt, he's a designated player who is looking like the third choice behind Terry Dunfield and Matt Stinson. Enough is enough already.

Ageroo
04-06-2012, 02:03 AM
Was wondering when this thread would come up.

This isn't about one bad tackle, JDG is having a major gaffe nearly every game now. It was only 4 days ago that he cost us the losing goal against Columbus and thats not to mention his listless efforts and continuous giveaways. This isn't an unwarranted witch hunt, he's a designated player who is looking like the third choice behind Terry Dunfield and Matt Stinson. Enough is enough already.

I was wondering when this thread would come up as well...ha ha. And you know I am always a JDG backer....but his time is definitely coming to a close here....but alas nothing will probably be done until the season ends and he is officially out of contract.

As for your JDG has a major gaffe every match.....The same can be said of every player on the pitch...but with his price tag comes more scrutiny which is warranted of course. Hopefully for the team's sake and his that things turn around. Although the penalty was horrific in the Santos match there are many other things team wise along with his blunder from that match were to blame for their performance. That gaffe wasn't the deal breaker for me.....If we had a backline that could actually defend I'd be more inclined to hang JDG out to dry like others......everyone on this team makes numerous errors, but when his errors lead to goals everyone is up at arms. I understand the hate and don't think it is a witch hunt, but right now he isn't the reason we are losing matches....defending is the reason.

If Kocic didn't make that penalty save against Columbus the JDG giveway(along with the Emory botched clearance) may not have been magnified as much.....but then again it still may have because it is JDG.

Carry on....:)

v00d00daddy
04-06-2012, 08:36 AM
I was wondering when this thread would come up as well...ha ha. And you know I am always a JDG backer....but his time is definitely coming to a close here....but alas nothing will probably be done until the season ends and he is officially out of contract.

As for your JDG has a major gaffe every match.....The same can be said of every player on the pitch...but with his price tag comes more scrutiny which is warranted of course. Hopefully for the team's sake and his that things turn around. Although the penalty was horrific in the Santos match there are many other things team wise along with his blunder from that match were to blame for their performance. That gaffe wasn't the deal breaker for me.....If we had a backline that could actually defend I'd be more inclined to hang JDG out to dry like others......everyone on this team makes numerous errors, but when his errors lead to goals everyone is up at arms. I understand the hate and don't think it is a witch hunt, but right now he isn't the reason we are losing matches....defending is the reason.

If Kocic didn't make that penalty save against Columbus the JDG giveway(along with the Emory botched clearance) may not have been magnified as much.....but then again it still may have because it is JDG.

Carry on....:)

Agreed.

Yes...JDG hasn't been perfect but I don't think he's been bad at all this year. In fact, I think he's been good. Better than he's been in past seasons.

JDG tends to shine when the team is playing their positions well. He's not a defensive player who's going to win a lot of 1 v 1 battles with attacking players. He's not going to get "stuck in" and come out with the ball very often. His game is more reliant on him being in the right place at the right time, along with his teammates doing the same.

He looks his best when the outside backs, wingers and other midfielders (Dunfield, Frings) are pressuring the ball carrier into positions on the field where they either have to make a near impossible play to move the ball or they're forced into a spot on the field where JDG is waiting to scoop up that ball that was played too heavy into space or bounced off an attackers shin cause he was forced to do more than he was capable of.

Not sure if that makes sense. LOL

Things that people don't appreciate about JDG is that he is able to play the ball with both feet and usually quite efficiently. Watch a guy like Dunfield next game. The guy runs around balls on his left foot just to put it on his right because his skill level is so incredibly low. JDG on the other hand will play the ball from whatever foot it comes at, turns and (usually) makes the right play.

What he needs to stop is the errant pass into the middle of the field while under no pressure. For the life of me, I can't understand why he does it.

Is he worth a DP tag and all that money? No. I don't think he is. But that's not his fault.

I just don't think he's some big problem on the club that, if he is removed, will correct all their problems.

And those of you who'd rather see Dunfield and Stinson in the middle over JDG.....wow.

Careful what you wish for. That would be horrendous.

ManUtd4ever
04-06-2012, 08:45 AM
I mentioned in the post game thread that I thought JDG had played extremely well throughout the CCL tournament in particular, and was instrumental in the team's unexpected run. Unfortunately, he picked the worst possible time to have a brain cramp when he committed that unnecessary foul against Santos, and now that could very well end up being his legacy in Toronto.

I hope he has the intestinal fortitude to redeem himself throughout the rest of the season.

ensco
04-06-2012, 08:47 AM
I think we need to stop talking about him. He's staying. Stinson may well take his job (yes voodoo, I think that could/should happen), but that's about all that can be done.

No one anywhere will take on the contract. I'm certain that MLS roster rules dictate that, if you want to take a DP off the books, you have to move him in the offseason. The cap space is gone unless we trade him. Fat chance.

It is what it is.

starter
04-06-2012, 08:52 AM
JDG is definitely more gifted than our current DMs. The tackle that led to the penalty for SL was unforgivable, since he KNEW he was in a box, and he made no extra effort to play it safe. This lack of effort he showed in most of his time here makes me to think we should try to replace him ASAP.

brad
04-06-2012, 09:17 AM
Always seems like a square peg/round hole to me. Wrong type of player for the MLS. He does well when the game is less physical and he has a more tactical style of play to shut down.

brad
04-06-2012, 09:18 AM
JDG is definitely more gifted than our current DMs. The tackle that led to the penalty for SL was unforgivable, since he KNEW he was in a box, and he made no extra effort to play it safe. This lack of effort he showed in most of his time here makes me to think we should try to replace him ASAP.

More gifted doesn't always translate to results though - and that is what matters. We would be better off with a less gifted, midfield destroyer than are with JDG.

starter
04-06-2012, 09:29 AM
I find myself at times positively surprised with Dunfield, who despite all his awkwardness, plays with more urgency and leaves it all on the field. Even though Dunfield is not a permanent solution, which Tchani could have been ( ouch!)

Chris Wren
04-06-2012, 09:34 AM
These threads are unnecessary. It's fine to talk about a player after games, but creating a thread simply to generate ill will towards our own team is in poor taste

Roogsy
04-06-2012, 09:43 AM
I don't hold any grudges against him. He wears red...I will cheer for him. That's the way it's supposed to be.

jloome
04-06-2012, 09:50 AM
Who's giving him the benefit of the doubt? Who's defending him in this thread? When was the last time anyone effusively praised his regular performances?

Where is the alleged love of JDG his most vociferous opponents keep talking about in this thread? Some people complimenting the odd performance does not equate to an argument of opposites.

Oldtimer
04-06-2012, 10:00 AM
Who's giving him the benefit of the doubt? Who's defending him in this thread? When was the last time anyone effusively praised his regular performances?

Where is the alleged love of JDG his most vociferous opponents keep talking about in this thread? Some people complimenting the odd performance does not equate to an argument of opposites.

Exactly. I think pretty well 100% of the board has moved on. No point arguing with straw men.

DoubleUp
04-06-2012, 10:11 AM
I find myself at times positively surprised with Dunfield, who despite all his awkwardness, plays with more urgency and leaves it all on the field. Even though Dunfield is not a permanent solution, which Tchani could have been ( ouch!)

you think about tchani too??? thats weird!g:D

starter
04-06-2012, 10:22 AM
Not counting Frings, we are pretty thin in DM department when JDG is finished here.

DoubleUp
04-06-2012, 10:38 AM
I think we should try to get tchani back he would fit much better in our new style, even kofi from vancouver would be a tidy fit.

starter
04-06-2012, 10:54 AM
I would take Tchani back for JDG in a heartbeat, he has upside.

glaze
04-06-2012, 11:18 AM
I have nightmares that we'll extend JDGs contract.
Its frustrating that of our 3 DPs, he was the only one on the field Wednesday, and put in one of the worst efforts of the team.
I just hope the FO sees what we are seeing, and acts appropriately when his contract is up.

DoubleUp
04-06-2012, 11:26 AM
Its frustrating that of our 3 DPs, he was the only one on the field Wednesday, and put in one of the worst efforts of the team.
I just hope the FO sees what we are seeing, and acts appropriately when his contract is up.

I disagree! the jig is up....imo he is gone or severely reduced...period

Beach_Red
04-06-2012, 11:32 AM

Well, given that they only signed him in the first place because of fan demands that they do so, it's unlikely they would take it upon themselves to resign him.

brad
04-06-2012, 11:36 AM
I'm not sure I'd want to keep him, even at a reduced rate. I think that money would go better to bringing an midfield destroyer, not a tactical DM that doesn't excel at the physical game.

DoubleUp
04-06-2012, 11:42 AM
I'm not sure I'd want to keep him, even at a reduced rate. I think that money would go better to bringing an midfield destroyer, not a tactical DM that doesn't excel at the physical game.

at a severely reduced wage we could afford a tchani type destroy to sit beside him and clean up while he plays the Pirlo type role....this is all theory ofcourse.

tfcfan2011
04-06-2012, 12:16 PM
and probably a lesson learned by all tfc fans, that if someone is languishing without a contract, we probably don't want him either. i was excited when JDG arrived, but he hasn't nearly lived up to expectations. we knew he wasnt here to score goals, but the amount of blunders that have caused goals wouldnt be acceptable from Dunfield, let alone a 2million dollar "defensive mid"

PopePouri
04-06-2012, 12:36 PM
Scapegoat of the day goes to...

MartinUtd
04-06-2012, 12:47 PM

We have that in Frings. We need defenders (DP at centre back?) that can alleviate his defensive responsibilities. For our 3 midfielders I'd be more than happy to have Frings, Dunfield/Stinson/Burgos fighting for a spot and then Silva/Avila fighting for the attacking mid spot.

MartinUtd
04-06-2012, 12:48 PM

As if this is the only day we've had this conversation...

razor787
04-06-2012, 12:50 PM

Lose by 4, blame one guy. Makes sense to me.

jabbronies
04-06-2012, 02:01 PM
was it just me or did the whole stadium scream "JULIAN" at the last CCL game at BMO field when JDG ran up to the ball up top the 18 yard box to take a shot in the south end??

Anyone?

Auzzy
04-06-2012, 02:03 PM
was it just me or did the whole stadium scream "JULIAN" at the last CCL game at BMO field when JDG ran up to the ball up top the 18 yard box to take a shot in the south end??

Anyone?

I think they were actually yelling "EVERYONE DUCK!"

Oldtimer
04-06-2012, 05:08 PM
and probably a lesson learned by all tfc fans, that if someone is languishing without a contract, we probably don't want him either.

It's well documented why he was out of contract and it had nothing to do with his play. That doesn't excuse his inconsistent play for TFC by any means.

Keane was out of a contract when LA signed him FWIW. Does that mean we wouldn't sign a Keane?

This more tells you how you don't want a Mo Johnston building your team. Four wasted years, plus we're still hamstrung by some of his poor decisions...

Detroit_TFC
04-06-2012, 05:19 PM
I am willing to cut him a vast amount of slack by saying I believe he hasn't ever felt comfortable in MLS. He demonstrated talent in Spain but hasn't here. He has had ample opportunity to demonstrate his value to the team and the results are poor, both in terms of results and terms of personal effort.

He needs to leave as soon as we can make that happen, which appears will be the post-season or at most, the expiration of his contract. I won't boo him, or raise a two-stick against him, that hurts the team more than it hurts him, and that's not the point anyway.

Yohan
04-06-2012, 05:44 PM
Keane was out of a contract when LA signed him FWIW. Does that mean we wouldn't sign a Keane?
LA paid 3.5 million pounds for Keane

ensco
04-06-2012, 05:48 PM
This more tells you how you don't want a Mo Johnston building your team. Four wasted years, plus we're still hamstrung by some of his poor decisions...

Well, 99% of people here supported/wanted the JDG signing. Myself included. Although I never thought he would get $6 million to come here - I was shocked when the details came out.

iy12l
04-06-2012, 07:25 PM
We shouldnt buy a Canadian DP unless if its Hutchinson or McKenna. Aron Winter could lure some Dutch defender like Ooijer here or some fresh talent from the Ajax academy. Aron Winter still has a good connection with Ajax.

Detroit_TFC
04-06-2012, 07:45 PM
That is probably the best option for an immediate impact signing.

tfcfan2011
04-06-2012, 08:35 PM
I should have qualified my earlier comment with "lesson learned by all TFC fans, myself included..." I was really excited for JDG to come to toronto, and I thought he would boss our midfield and 'tear this league apart'.

You'll have to refresh my memory about the details regarding him being out of a contract, but I think I remember that at one point he was using the interest from TFC to leverage a contract in Europe - and at some point the offers from Europe dried up when clubs sorted their rosters out during the transfer window(?) and he finally signed with us. However i could be WAY off.

Agreed about Mo Johnston.

To respond to a comment earlier about blaming JDG for the Santos loss, definitely not what I'm trying to do here. Just commenting on the general tone of the thread - there were many factors that caused our collapse on wednesday. I will, however, say this: if you're a DP midfielder and you make a challenge like that in the box at a crucial time in a semifinal game you're going to be called out for it, and deservedly so.

Ajax TFC
04-06-2012, 09:39 PM
We shouldnt buy a Canadian DP unless if its Hutchinson or McKenna. Aron Winter could lure some Dutch defender like Ooijer here or some fresh talent from the Ajax academy. Aron Winter still has a good connection with Ajax.
Ooijer's a great character, but his years as a quality defender are long, long past. not to mention the fact that he's almost 38, and has already announced that he's retiring at the end of the season.
And no kid in the Ajax academy with ANY ambition would ever come here. And why would you even want a Dutch defender? I can count the number of top quality Dutch defenders on two fingers (Heitinga & van Der Wiel).
I hate to break it to you, but nationality doesn't make a player good. If we sign a DP defender, we sign the best defender who would be willing to come here, not the best Dutch one that would be willing to come.

deacon
04-07-2012, 06:46 AM
Ooijer's a great character, but his years as a quality defender are long, long past. not to mention the fact that he's almost 38, and has already announced that he's retiring at the end of the season.
And no kid in the Ajax academy with ANY ambition would ever come here. And why would you even want a Dutch defender? I can count the number of top quality Dutch defenders on two fingers (Heitinga & van Der Wiel).
I hate to break it to you, but nationality doesn't make a player good. If we sign a DP defender, we sign the best defender who would be willing to come here, not the best Dutch one that would be willing to come.

Lost him for allocation $, for Mista. At a fraction of JDG salary. Never should have made deal. THX Preki!