PDA

View Full Version : TFC v LFC This Summer

Froshler
04-01-2012, 02:33 PM
Just heard from my local LFC Supporters Group - Liverpool will be playing TFC in Toronto July 21 at Rogers Centre as part of their summer tour (other dates in Boston and Baltimore)!
Not confirmed on Official LFC Tour site yet,

RealG-TFC
04-01-2012, 02:40 PM
ugh, I thought we were past these. These friendlies are so awkward. I can see it now, LFC is going to destroy us while the crowd at the Skydome cheer them on. :(

ensco
04-01-2012, 02:42 PM
Now we know why the Chicago game was moved.

ensco
04-01-2012, 02:44 PM
If they have any sense they'll simply give tickets to this game to SSHs ... if they try to sell these to me I will be complaining pretty loudly

ManUtd4ever
04-01-2012, 02:53 PM
No chance these tickets will be given away to SSHs, but if the match is promoted and priced accordingly (like the CCL quarter final), it should easily draw 40,000 fans.

kodiakTFC
04-01-2012, 02:59 PM
I would suffocate from excitement if this is true.

ensco
04-01-2012, 03:05 PM
No chance these tickets will be given away to SSHs, but if the match is promoted and priced accordingly (like the CCL quarter final), it should easily draw 40,000 fans.

What's smarter?

(i) selling 40,000 seats at an average price of $25
(ii) selling 25,000 seats at an average price of $40 (and giving 15,000 middling quality seats to the SSHs)

Darlofletch
04-01-2012, 03:06 PM
I can losing, i can take crappy performances, but it's shit like this that really really really annoys me. disadvantage the club by moving a league game for the sake of a marketing exercise.

not in any way surprising at all after they announced the chicago match moved, but still, very very depressing.

ArmenJBX
04-01-2012, 03:06 PM
Does no one know what today is!

I don't believe this for a second :D

Darlofletch
04-01-2012, 03:14 PM

moving a league game to September, that would really be going balls out for an april fools joke.

eustacchio
04-01-2012, 03:26 PM

After noon, April Fool's is over. I'm not saying that this is/isn't true, just saying...

Red CB Toronto
04-01-2012, 03:32 PM
From a scheduling standpoint it fits, Liverpool is playing Roma in Boston on July 25 and Spurs on July 28 in Baltimore. Also as already mentioned the first step to open up the date has already happened with the move of the Chicago game.

ArmenJBX
04-01-2012, 03:37 PM
I dont deny that the game was moved.

I'm just saying, I'll believe this one when I see it

mowe
04-01-2012, 03:38 PM
Tickets are going to pretty expensive I'm sure, gotta pay for that grass installation. I wonder how many people will show up, Liverpool is a popular club.

After noon, April Fool's is over. I'm not saying that this is/isn't true, just saying...

I wish it ended at 12:01 AM.

Auzzy
04-01-2012, 04:42 PM
If they have any sense they'll simply give tickets to this game to SSHs ... if they try to sell these to me I will be complaining pretty loudly

Nah, we'll probably be offered a $14.99 "loyalty discount." Or course, if you sign up for the TFC waiting list at that time, you'll be offered the same "loyalty discount."

(That's if the whole thing isn't a joke anyway.)

iy12l
04-01-2012, 05:10 PM
Lets make a friendly with Real Madrid again or Barcelona! BMO will definitely be sold out

Yohan
04-01-2012, 05:20 PM
wonder how Winter feels about this

ManUtd4ever
04-01-2012, 06:11 PM
What's smarter?

(i) selling 40,000 seats at an average price of $25
(ii) selling 25,000 seats at an average price of $40 (and giving 15,000 middling quality seats to the SSHs)

I agree with you, I'm just saying it's not going to happen. It is MLSE after all.

ensco
04-01-2012, 06:12 PM
I agree with you, I'm just saying it's not going to happen. It is MLSE after all.

Ahhh. We agree 100%.

Ajax TFC
04-01-2012, 06:19 PM
And here I was hoping that if they were stupid enough to schedule a friendly, it would be against Ajax. But I'm guessing I'm probably alone there, eh?

iy12l
04-01-2012, 06:24 PM
And here I was hoping that if they were stupid enough to schedule a friendly, it would be against Ajax. But I'm guessing I'm probably alone there, eh?

Damn, that would be a really good idea.. Ajax would of helped our team and our Dutch connections might be stronger too

Code Red
04-01-2012, 06:25 PM
F*ck friendlies. I really hope this is an April Fools' joke. Playing one game against a European powerhouse, be it Real Madrid, Liverpool, etc. isn't going to make us any better. If this turns out to be true, it's a simple case of MLSE trying to maximize its profits. Seeing as ticket sales are way down, this is their 'Plan B'.

james
04-02-2012, 07:52 AM
Teams like Seattle got to see Chelsea play as part of there season ticket package. We are going to get charged something like $30 and up if at the Dome. If at BMO probably $60 or more. Its a rip off and waste for TFC as its in the middle of our busy season and need to be fighting to win meaningful games not friendlies!

Fort York Redcoat
04-02-2012, 07:58 AM
Ugh. Charge as much as you like TFC! Have it wherever you like! I won't be going.

Oldtimer
04-02-2012, 08:23 AM
wonder how Winter feels about this

I'm sure we all know. No manager would want to crowd his fixtures with a meaningless friendly in the middle of the season. After the season's over is a different story.

However, as an ML$E employee, he would have to pretend to be excited at the prospect.

I'm not sure that this isn't an April Fool's joke, however.

Carts
04-02-2012, 08:33 AM
I'm sure we all know. No manager would want to crowd his fixtures with a meaningless friendly in the middle of the season. After the season's over is a different story.

However, as an ML$E employee, he would have to pretend to be excited at the prospect.

I asked Winter about mid-season friendlies personally and he answered that he loves them...

He said 'anytime my boys can play against top opposition it makes them better' and he then went on to say 'If we're going to have success in other competitions, like Champions League, they will need to be used to crowded fixtures'...

Maybe he's towing the company line, but I don't think so - he seemed honest and genuine when answering - and it would make sense him feeling that way, being an academy/development style coach...

ryan
04-02-2012, 08:34 AM
TFC can steal someone else's money. I hope Winter fields the Academy.

Beach_Red
04-02-2012, 08:40 AM

It's not crazy enough to be an April Fool's joke. Maybe if they said it was going to count in the MLS standings like that time the WHA games against the Soviets counted in their standings.

DangerRed
04-02-2012, 08:46 AM
Oh man, I love this club. So by June, when we're probably out of playoff contention if current results continue, we'll be told "fret not -- and enjoy this overpriced friendly!" Maybe they'll use some of the proceeds for a help-us-find-a-new-manager drive. Maybe Reina will headbutt Danny Koovermans and we'll get a decent fistfight out of it?

tfcleeds
04-02-2012, 08:48 AM
At least the bright side to this is we actually have a chance at beating this team ;)

Oldtimer
04-02-2012, 09:02 AM
Oh man, I love this club. So by June, when we're probably out of playoff contention if current results continue, we'll be told "fret not -- and enjoy this overpriced friendly!" Maybe they'll use some of the proceeds for a help-us-find-a-new-manager drive. Maybe Reina will headbutt Danny Koovermans and we'll get a decent fistfight out of it?

It's a little too early to paint a worst-case scenario.

MartinUtd
04-02-2012, 10:10 AM
What a joke, I thought we were past this. I want to see this line up

--------MLSpool Keeper------
Hall - Henry - Harden - Maund
---Stinson--Avila--Burgos---
Cordon----Makabuya-----Lambe

Subs: Dunfield, Plata, Titus.

Carts
04-02-2012, 10:25 AM
What a joke, I thought we were past this. I want to see this line up

--------MLSpool Keeper------
Hall - Henry - Harden - Maund
---Stinson--Avila--Burgos---
Cordon----Makabuya-----Lambe

Subs: Dunfield, Plata, Titus.

This was the lineup I wanted to see on Saturday...

Instead, we started and tired our starters and still lost... :(

If Wednesday was tough before - it'll be damn tough now...

prizby
04-02-2012, 07:12 PM
Now we know why the Chicago game was moved.

for chicago's friendly against aston villa...stupid to move a game during WCQ FFS

Abou Sky
04-02-2012, 09:25 PM
Ok so is this for real?

Brooker
04-02-2012, 10:05 PM
I hate friendlies to begin with but couldn't they have done better? No disrespect to Liverpool... They're a massive club... but their roster these days is pretty... uh...

And they won't even field their "good" team!

nascarguy
04-02-2012, 10:46 PM
sorry guys but I would be with the liverpool supporter for this game I was allready to buy tickets for Baltimore and this just makes it easy for me to see them. Baltimore was going to cost me 700$ ticket,hotel

Blakfish
04-02-2012, 10:59 PM
Definitely echoing other sentiments about disagreeing with moving a league game for this cash cow. No way Liverpool would field a full strength side, particularly with Team GB in the Olympics a week after (not that anyone really cares about this). Likes of Carragher / Gerrard / Carroll / Henderson / Bellamy / Johnson / Downing all could possibly feature for Team GB.

TOBOR !
04-03-2012, 05:06 AM
Definitely echoing other sentiments about disagreeing with moving a league game for this cash cow. No way Liverpool would field a full strength side, particularly with Team GB in the Olympics a week after (not that anyone really cares about this). Likes of Carragher / Gerrard / Carroll / Henderson / Bellamy / Johnson / Downing all could possibly feature for Team GB.

Possibly, but not realistically.

Fort York Redcoat
04-03-2012, 07:01 AM
sorry guys but I would be with the liverpool supporter for this game I was allready to buy tickets for Baltimore and this just makes it easy for me to see them. Baltimore was going to cost me 700$ ticket,hotel

Who are you apologizing to? No one has said they are going to this for TFC yet.

Oldtimer
04-03-2012, 07:02 AM
I think we can safely assume that this was some kind of April Fools' joke.

prizby
04-03-2012, 07:15 AM

really...because this is not the first time i heard the liverpool-toronto rumour

Ossington Mental Youth
04-03-2012, 07:22 AM
hope thats not the case. no way in hell id go to see this. dont care about liverpool, dont support useless toronto friendlies in the middle of the season

__wowza
04-03-2012, 07:40 AM
Ugh. Charge as much as you like TFC! Have it wherever you like! I won't be going.

come on pete! i can see the TIFO now:
"DON'T WE HAVE A LEAGUE WORRY ABOUT!?"

g:D

sulfur
04-03-2012, 08:01 AM
If it is, the prank was boiling for almost 10 days beforehand... This is a rumour and suggestion that's been hanging around for a couple of weeks now.

Fort York Redcoat
04-03-2012, 08:04 AM
If it is, the prank was boiling for almost 10 days beforehand... This is a rumour and suggestion that's been hanging around for a couple of weeks now.

Ahh yes but the rumour it was a prank is out there now! Rumour battle....begin!

Fort York Redcoat
04-03-2012, 08:10 AM
come on pete! i can see the TIFO now:
"DON'T WE HAVE A LEAGUE WORRY ABOUT!?"

g:D

TFC vs LFC = MMF meaningless midseason friendly.

Or maybe, just maybe, THIS is gonna be the match that puts TFC, MLS and NA SACCER on the MAP! Converts everywhere! The millions of uprooted Scousers will see that supporting the local football side helps footy worldwide!*

*Where's the "holding my breath" emoticon?

Huyton
04-03-2012, 08:43 AM
TFC vs LFC = MMF meaningless midseason friendly.

Or maybe, just maybe, THIS is gonna be the match that puts TFC, MLS and NA SACCER on the MAP! Converts everywhere! The millions of uprooted Scousers will see that supporting the local football side helps footy worldwide!*

*Where's the "holding my breath" emoticon?

Well, this uprooted scouser supports TFC and was the first season ticket holder for Milltown FC. I also used to go and watch the Blizzard, and the Metros-Croatia before that. I was at the last NASL game played when the Blizzard lost to Chicago in the Championship in 1984. I went to an Olympic soccer game played in Toronto at Varsity Stadium, as well as the gold medal game at Olympic Stadium. I played in the Toronto Services League, coached in the Burlington minor soccer system, and refereed in Oakville.

The first game my Dad took me to was during the season when Liverpool won promotion to the 1st Division. We lived close enough to Anfield that there was a Bobby on a horse at the nearest intersection to help direct foot traffic after matches.

Local football. It's something this scouser has always supported.

And I think you'll find that's true of a lot of the scousers on this board, too.

Fort York Redcoat
04-03-2012, 08:51 AM
Huyton that was not a crack at Scousers. It's a crack at the league's idea of a good idea. It certainly was not a pisstake on anyone here who clearly would care somrthing about the local product.

Except nascar of course.

brad
04-03-2012, 09:13 AM

Every year when these things happen, people say the same thing "no way they will field a full strength squad", and every year the teams field a full strength squad, minus the players that played in an international tourney.

Which brings me to the point - the team can only have three players over the age of 23. Of your list above, I think Henderson is the only one under 23 - I highly doubt if team GB will pick all 3 over 23 players from Liverpool.

Blakfish
04-03-2012, 09:39 AM
I see, I was unaware of that rule for Team GB. As I said, very few people in the UK give two shits about Team GB. Regardless, the original point still stands. The fact that they are even considering interrupting League play to be involved in a money making friendly is ridiculous, although to be expected I guess from the MLSE.

Fort York Redcoat
04-03-2012, 10:01 AM
although to be expected I guess from the MLSE.

Um the entire MLS is doing this. Let's make sure the blame is cast their way as well.

Blakfish
04-03-2012, 10:10 AM
Ok, typical of North American sports as a whole.

Blakfish
04-03-2012, 10:19 AM
Although this is what the Premier League would look like if it had started on January 1st... so we may have a chance against the Scousers! :rofl:

http://images.mirror.co.uk/upl/people3/mar2012/9/7/opta-table-375748325.jpg

Auzzy
04-03-2012, 10:19 AM
I see, I was unaware of that rule for Team GB. As I said, very few people in the UK give two shits about Team GB. Regardless, the original point still stands. The fact that they are even considering interrupting League play to be involved in a money making friendly is ridiculous, although to be expected I guess from the MLSE.

Just to clarify, that's the Olympic men's soccer rule. It's generally the U23 team of any country (including younger kids if they prefer, like Canada & Mexico just had), plus no more that 3 older guys.

Blakfish
04-03-2012, 10:22 AM
Just to clarify, that's the Olympic men's soccer rule. It's generally the U23 team of any country (including younger kids if they prefer, like Canada & Mexico just had), plus no more that 3 older guys.

Ah I see, thanks for clarifying dude! I honestly had no idea about the U23 ruling (have never followed Olympic Soccer as a UK team have not been entered in my life time)

brad
04-03-2012, 10:48 AM
Olympic soccer is the only international tournament that matters (my only criteria for this is because Canada have won gold btw :hump:)

TFCBarrie
04-03-2012, 10:56 AM
hope thats not the case. no way in hell id go to see this. dont care about liverpool, dont support useless toronto friendlies in the middle of the season

This, exactly.

GabrielHurl
04-03-2012, 12:26 PM

The only players that would be available for GB would be Henderson and Bellamy.

Gerrard, Johnson, Downing - and at a very long stretch Carroll won't be available to GB because of the Euro's

Huyton
04-03-2012, 11:35 PM
Assuming that TFC gets through, there will be four fewer games this year in CONCACAF. There are no qualifiers, for instance, to get into the Group stage, and there are only three teams in a group instead of four.

That's two fewer home games for MLSE to use to extract cash from us.

We shouldn't be surprised if this game happens.

As for whether we should support these things or not...what would you say if MLSE said we're going to use the money from this game, and ones like it for the next 5 years, to put a roof on BMO?

Stouffville_RPB
04-04-2012, 02:59 PM
Assuming that TFC gets through, there will be four fewer games this year in CONCACAF. There are no qualifiers, for instance, to get into the Group stage, and there are only three teams in a group instead of four.

That's two fewer home games for MLSE to use to extract cash from us.

That is a very good point.

Hitcho
04-04-2012, 03:22 PM
I can take losing, i can take crappy performances, but it's shit like this that really really really annoys me. disadvantage the club by moving a league game for the sake of a marketing exercise.

not in any way surprising at all after they announced the chicago match moved, but still, very very depressing.

I think that about sums it up for me. Even if they gave us tickets for free it would still piss me off. WHy disadvantage the team this way? It's not like we breeze into the playoffs every year and can afford the fun and hi-jinx mid-season. Besides which, Liverpool will be rusty and leggy with all the pre-season training, so what odds that someone like Skrtel takes out someone like Johnson with a wayward tackle and knackers our season completely?

Stupidity. Utter stupidity.

Stop trying to "grow" the sport by marketing to part-time glory seekers and start trying to grow it properly by making it a serious league. Getting thrashed by Liverpool won't grow the fan base. Making the play offs will.

joeyjones
04-04-2012, 03:32 PM
is it confirmed that Liverpool plays TFC or another UK/European club?

Yagbod
04-04-2012, 03:40 PM
All Manc's should be banned from commenting in this thread. It would be the reasonable thing to do... (looking at Pete)

Alonso
04-05-2012, 09:27 PM
Agreed. Not paying one red cent for this. I'm totally against these games. The season is overly congested as it is.

Super
04-05-2012, 09:48 PM
Really? A friendly? During our season? That's our focus now?

Alrighty then.

Jeffro
04-06-2012, 03:17 PM
All Manc's should be banned from commenting in this thread. It would be the reasonable thing to do... (looking at Pete)

Because Pete said he wasn't going? Tell me this is a joke.

Yagbod
04-06-2012, 03:21 PM
Because Pete said he wasn't going? Tell me this is a joke.

Completely and utterly kidding. Pete and I were joking about this game at banner painting. I never take digs at people in earnest.

Yohan
04-06-2012, 03:22 PM
I don't care if TFC is playing Barcelona or Man U for a friendly. No friendlies during league season

brad
04-06-2012, 04:21 PM

I'll be there front row cheering on TFC if it happens. The only question that remains to be answered - do I make a giant "19 - Reggie Lambe" or "20 - Ty Harden" banner... :)

Azerban
04-09-2012, 12:32 PM
two bad teams

Fort York Redcoat
04-09-2012, 12:37 PM

Haha sorry I didn't see this before. Yeah I hope you remember how careful I was in that room full of you Scousers.lol

I believe I said I wished it had been any other team to give me a little credit. Obviously only half this match would ever appeal to me...

Belfast_Boy
04-09-2012, 12:59 PM
two bad teams

ohhhh the shame.....

Yagbod
04-09-2012, 01:52 PM
Haha sorry I didn't see this before. Yeah I hope you remember how careful I was in that room full of you Scousers.lol

I believe I said I wished it had been any other team to give me a little credit. Obviously only half this match would ever appeal to me...

My oft times dry sense of humour sometimes doesn't translate well onto the page. To be perfectly clear I was completely and utterly joking around. No offense to any united fans intended, especially Pete.

Only City fans.

(see, kidding again!)

SCF1908
04-09-2012, 02:30 PM

Yeah, you are defo alone on that one.

whyalwaysme11
04-09-2012, 03:09 PM
I don't care if TFC is playing Barcelona or Man U for a friendly. No friendlies during league season

i second this

jabbronies
04-09-2012, 03:41 PM
TFC can steal someone else's money. I hope Winter fields the Academy.

this.

the stadium will be full of LFC supporters anyways with a splattering of curious onlookers. I dooubt anyone is going to watch TFC play. Might as well play the academy.