PDA

View Full Version : Enjoying those empty seats?

greatwhitenorf
04-01-2012, 09:30 AM
Still not at the vacancy rate of a Blue Jays or Argos game, but quite a few empty seats yesterday so a great chance to move around and try out some new locations and contemplate things from new perspectives. Front row of the upper west side is very nice. From there we scoped out other desirable empties and plopped quite comfortably in second half sunshine halfway up the east side at midfield.

It was nice to put the feet up on the empty seats in front and recall doing the same in the early days with the Jays at the old CNE Stadium. They'd only get 12-15,000 most games and it was always lovely to stretch out on the first base side and check out chicks in shorts and halter tops. They don't wear halter tops nowadays(are nipples outlawed?). I miss them. TFC should sell them in the merch stands. They'd help fill up the empty seats probably.

Don't like the chairs on the rails at the bottom of the east side. That low view is not for me. Nice to see and hear a bit of the biff-bang of play up close but higher views show the scope and span of the game much better. I also prefer viewing from the west side because the sun is behind those stands and you're not squinting into the light.

The new sound system is obnoxiously loud. The drummer boys in the southwest corner remain an intrusive and unnecessary irrelevancy.

Why do MLSE persist in not sharing any proper information with us about the players, especially the visiting team? I like it when I watch an English league game and just before kickoff they have a graphic to show the starting line-ups in their playing positions. This information is available for the MLS telecast before the game so why don't we, the paying customers, get that up on the scoreboard?

It's not like there's a solution available by spending money. I've bought programs before, but since they are probably printed well in advance, it just lists the players names and if there's a recent change or addition, it likely won't be included.

I might browse through MLS sites to get this info before coming to a game, but there's probably many more casual fans who don't and you would think making this info available would help them enjoy the game better. A small, simple step to make the game-day experience more enjoyable. Takes nothing more than an effort to accomplish this.

And still not spending Nickel One on food or merchandise. No point in feeding this money-hungry corporate monster when it doesn't produce a winning product. Anywhere. Tailgating or a pint at the Barking Barnacle continue to be more sensible options.

Pookie
04-01-2012, 10:00 AM
I remember how we used to get match previews in emails before the game. Now, those are seemingly hit or miss. Sometimes we get a notice, other times not. Seems like such a simple thing to do. If I were in their marketing, I would be including links to chants and the like as well in order to promote the "atmosphere"

Why is that important? The "atmosphere" is about all there is to sell the casual fan on. CCL success aside, media outlets are simply reporting the team as winless in 3 MLS starts, which is true but doesn't convey the intense compete level we saw vs LA and again vs Santos.

And a further reason, if you look at some of the new Soccer Specific Stadiums going up around the league, BMO Field is an absolute hole. North end expansion brought a few new sight lines but Fans aren't sheltered from wind and rain. Wait for the bugs in May in the upper deck. The acoustics are dependent on which way the wind is blowing and parking at the best of times is a nightmare... assuming of course that it isn't limited to the countless prescheduled events in the area. The location is convenient for the TTC, when it is running, just not if you live anywhere north of the city.

sigh

That said, I did enjoy my new cup holder (seriously) in the North End and the sloped seating makes it a great sightline to view the game. I can only hope that the 10-15 year plan includes a better stadium (perhaps 2 levels enclosed with a roof with standing permitted on level 1 with sloped seating in level 2) in a better location.

The hassle associated with getting to the games is becoming more of a headache than the results on the pitch.

ensco
04-01-2012, 10:04 AM
I like the extra bit of height/perspective you get low in the upper deck on the west side, and also in the north stands.

It is amazing how different the conditions (ie wind, temperature) can be for the fans in the east and west stands. In the San Jose game, the people in the west stands froze, the fans in the east stands not so much. But Wednesday night for Santos Laguna, it was the opposite.

The east is generally better spring and fall, when you want the direct sun. But the heat and glare in day games make the west side a lot better, in the summer.

ryan
04-01-2012, 10:16 AM
I do despise trying to get to matches. I can't stand Fat Ford's notion of the "war on the car" when it takes me over 1 hour to get to BMO from Yonge & Eg, but I drove it yesterday in under 15 minutes.

I mean it does suck to drive during peak hours in the city (which is about half the day), but the TTC is a pretty shitty alternative, even with the new trains.

For me the non sellouts is a bit of a bonus, because as like the OP said, you can sit where you want. I got my SSH in 221. Managed to move down to the front row cause nobody wanted to sit near the camera guy, but that was no bother to me. Then moved to the front row of the North stand to watch the reds attack, much like I did during the San Jose match.

Lastly, I do second the drummers and being annoying. I will vacate to more northerly seating more frequently as long as they are rattling my ears off.

Huyton
04-01-2012, 10:51 AM
After watching for three years from the top of 111 (row 31 or thereabouts), I'm enjoying life in row 15.

I also like section 127...very quick to exit the stadium, or get down to the beer garden after the match. At the Santos Laguna game, we were also somewhat sheltered. Although the rain came down, we didn't feel the rain. By comparison to some things I heard, we were quite comfortable.

We also don't get the sun in our eyes, and the team seems to like to play toward the North in the 2nd half.

We're also far enough away from the drummers that we can completely ignore them, apart from feeling very sorry for the people sitting close to them.

If I had any complaint about the game day experience, it would be the loud and totally obnoxious noise being emitted near the beer garden after a game.

I used to enjoy going for a pint and a chat about the game with my brother and a couple of friends while the parking lots emptied out and the traffic died down.

But we don't do this anymore. And it looks like a lot of others agree. The area by the Food Building used to be jammed with people enjoying a final beer before heading out, but it's not that this year.

After a game, my throat is sore from cheering, chanting, singing and yelling...the last thing I really want to do is to yell at the people around me.

rocker
04-01-2012, 11:46 AM
The new sound system is definitely way too fucking loud. I sit a few sections over from where the new set of speakers are hanging on the light post north west end. I swear I have to put my mouth to the ear of my guest to have any sort of conversation before the game. We like to show up an hour before to watch the warmups and also have social time before the match. But both my dad and brother found it hard to hear what I was saying when were sitting next to each other. Why do they need to crank it so loud? is it to pump us up? I understand, but it's background music, so it should be at background music levels. It was at "concert levels" in the two games I've been to. I'm not attending a concert.

Pookie
04-01-2012, 11:55 AM
^ maybe they want them loud so as to be able to fight through the wind which it typically blowing in off the lake?

Either or, point well taken. There are competing concerts too from the pre-game stuff to the stuff outside gate 1

jazzy
04-01-2012, 12:29 PM
The new sound system is definitely way too fucking loud. I sit a few sections over from where the new set of speakers are hanging on the light post north west end. I swear I have to put my mouth to the ear of my guest to have any sort of conversation before the game. We like to show up an hour before to watch the warmups and also have social time before the match. But both my dad and brother found it hard to hear what I was saying when were sitting next to each other. Why do they need to crank it so loud? is it to pump us up? I understand, but it's background music, so it should be at background music levels. It was at "concert levels" in the two games I've been to. I'm not attending a concert.

thats sad, because we still can't hear the speakers much at the south and east end,...it seems instead of simply adding speakers at the south end, then lowering the volume, they simply pumped up the volume of the present speakers making them useless to everyone.......another cheap brainchild move of some overpaid FO...bum kisser. AND why even have the speakers if they only could add to the video screen incoming and outgoing substitutions....I've yet to understand any of it . It's simple hust insert simple graphics as on Tv...... also as mentioned above the starting line-ups with simple graphics....duh!

lobo
04-01-2012, 12:43 PM
whats with all the hate in this thread for drummers and loud music? seriously. it ain't the public library.

ensco
04-01-2012, 01:00 PM
whats with all the hate in this thread for drummers and loud music? seriously. it ain't the public library.

Disagree strongly. There is a line, and they are crossing over it.

Who is the genius at MLSE who thinks that everyone is looking for a nightclub experience at a sports event? There are a lot of people who aren't single and 20 years old, and who go as part of a social experience.

They've killed the ability of people to talk at the ACC too, and it's a huge factor in why the platinums are empty for the start of periods.

Roogsy
04-01-2012, 01:14 PM
^ maybe they want them loud so as to be able to fight through the wind which it typically blowing in off the lake?

Either or, point well taken. There are competing concerts too from the pre-game stuff to the stuff outside gate 1

I know what will solve the problem. A roof.

GBV
04-01-2012, 02:02 PM
I'm at almost every home game so don't often get to see them on TV.
Couldn't go to yesterday's. I was floored and slightly embarrassed with how empty it was. Wowza.
(Looking over from 114 when you're there ... it doesn't look quite so barren as it does with the straight-on camera shots.)

But you double season ticket prices in five years ... that's what you get.
(Thanks guys!)

lobo
04-01-2012, 02:04 PM
Disagree strongly. There is a line, and they are crossing over it.

Who is the genius at MLSE who thinks that everyone is looking for a nightclub experience at a sports event? There are a lot of people who aren't single and 20 years old, and who go as part of a social experience.

They've killed the ability of people to talk at the ACC too, and it's a huge factor in why the platinums are empty for the start of periods.

you disagree with me, strongly ... so you think it IS the public library? who is crossing what line? really, i have no clue what all the complaints in this thread are all about ... my game day experience at BMO has only ever included love for the drummers, and i've never encountered music so loud that i could not talk to people nearby, and i'm far from my 20's, in fact i hardly even notice the background music, except i did sing along with 3 Little Birds during pre-game ... bmo field nightclub? we must be watching these games in 2 different stadiums. but seriously, acoustics are wacky in that place so not all that surprising. i still don't get the hate for drummers.

Rudy
04-01-2012, 07:32 PM
you disagree with me, strongly ... so you think it IS the public library? who is crossing what line? really, i have no clue what all the complaints in this thread are all about ... my game day experience at BMO has only ever included love for the drummers, and i've never encountered music so loud that i could not talk to people nearby, and i'm far from my 20's, in fact i hardly even notice the background music, except i did sing along with 3 Little Birds during pre-game ... bmo field nightclub? we must be watching these games in 2 different stadiums. but seriously, acoustics are wacky in that place so not all that surprising. i still don't get the hate for drummers.

i agree with lobo. i'm near the north west end, and i dont think the sound system is loud at all. it's part of the atmosphere and the experience. i notice the drummers on occassion, but i dont think they're intrusive.

peope are getting way too sensitive. i happen to love the naming of the starting 11. and the louder and more energetic, the better.

J .
04-01-2012, 07:36 PM
only going to get worse if the reds keep losing.

DOMIN8R
04-01-2012, 08:06 PM
I think that there is some confusion about which sound system some people in this thread are talking about. It appears that there is a new "dance club" system that has been installed and is used post game to create some sort of nightclub vibe behind the north stands pre, and mostly post, match. It's very loud and impossible to have a conversation at the carlsberg wagon.

But I digress:topic: the original topic was empty seats.

ensco
04-01-2012, 08:10 PM
i still don't get the hate for drummers.

No issue here with drummers.

Kooper
04-01-2012, 08:29 PM
only going to get worse if the reds keep losing.

What do you mean 'Keep Loosing'? MLSE has a plan to put a winning team on the field.

lobo
04-01-2012, 08:30 PM
The new sound system is obnoxiously loud. The drummer boys in the southwest corner remain an intrusive and unnecessary irrelevancy.

Lastly, I do second the drummers and being annoying. I will vacate to more northerly seating more frequently as long as they are rattling my ears off.

We're also far enough away from the drummers that we can completely ignore them, apart from feeling very sorry for the people sitting close to them.

No issue here with drummers.

sorry ensco ... my question was not specifically directed to you, but to the above commentary earlier in this thread

lots of drummers at BMO field, personally i'm glad for it

J .
04-02-2012, 12:50 AM
What do you mean 'Keep Loosing'? MLSE has a plan to put a winning team on the field.

Im beginning to think this winning team they talk about is a myth along Sasquatch proportions.

Brooker
04-02-2012, 06:14 AM
drummers... drummers....

what drummers are people talking about? i hope to god nobody is defending the tribal rhythm retards....

james
04-02-2012, 07:39 AM
BMO field must have the worst weather effects in the League. Bad weather can often turn some fans away from attending games. Closing in the stadium and building roofs could help keep out the wind a bit, and rain off the fans. Another factor is tickets in some sections are way over priced specially when you consider how bad TFC have played over the passed 5 years (the bad start to this season makes me think this season will be no different) and how shitty our stadium is compared to some other stadiums in MLS, yet we STILL pay more for our tickets then most other team fans!

james
04-02-2012, 07:44 AM

seriously you haven't noticed we lost all 3 of our games this season??? I am not saying fire the coach and get all new players just yet, we have done that to much in the first 5 seasons, its time we actually try to build a decent team. But part of you must be thinking maybe MLSE have no idea how to create a winning team, maybe it just a big myth because the Leafs and Raptors have also been building a team for the last 3 years....where has it gotten them?? NO WHERE, THERE STILL SHIT!!!

Darlofletch
04-02-2012, 08:02 AM
couldn't agree more about the dj they've got set up outside the north end beer garden. completely killed that off as a place to relax and meet people over a beer before or after the game. he was there last year as well with corporate sponsorship from miracle whip, that's disappeared, but he's still going. Inside the stadium, I'm right at the north west corner in front of the speakers, that one doesn't really bother me all that much.

I can take crappy football, or losing, it's this sort of shit, and moving the schedule around for friendlies that really turns me off the whole 'experience'.

I guess they see the empty seats as proof that the 'authentic football experience' without all this crap has no staying power, so they have to bring in all the extra bells and whistles and fully north americanise it. pricing isn't the problem, oh no.

ryan
04-02-2012, 08:14 AM
It's the bullshit "value add" tactics that mostly spawned from Apple's rise from the grave. (perhaps someone else, i'm no business major)

Continue to overprice the shit out of your product, but add value to "justify it". So instead of reducing ticket price, just add value with DJ's and high profile friendlies, blah blah.

Everyone wants to be paying less because we generally have less than in years past, but no company can deal with that and expect to continue increasing profit year over year (anything less is unacceptable today), so thus you get value add junk you don't really want.

Oldtimer
04-02-2012, 08:17 AM

x1000

DangerRed
04-02-2012, 08:49 AM

Or winning. Winning solves everything. Run and tell that.

Chris Wren
04-02-2012, 08:58 AM
A roof would be nice for acoustics, but I certainly loved the sunshine on Saturday. In our cooler months it's a nice bonus. I thought there was a good atmosphere at the game, 18 000 to see a bad team play early season with horrible transit issues, AGAIN!, isn't bad. It's going to take some wins to get people itching to get to BMO. Toronto sports fans are feeling a bit shell shocked at the moment, rightfully so.

gomesv
04-02-2012, 10:13 AM
A roof would be nice for acoustics, but I certainly loved the sunshine on Saturday. In our cooler months it's a nice bonus. I thought there was a good atmosphere at the game, 18 000 to see a bad team play early season with horrible transit issues, AGAIN!, isn't bad. It's going to take some wins to get people itching to get to BMO. Toronto sports fans are feeling a bit shell shocked at the moment, rightfully so.

I don't believe there was 18,000 at this game for one second......maybe 15.....don't believe MLSE and their numbers...

Roogsy
04-02-2012, 10:20 AM
Or winning. Winning solves everything. Run and tell that.

Winning? We talkin' about winning?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGDBR2L5kzI

eGDBR2L5kzI

Detroit_TFC
04-02-2012, 10:25 AM
I sat in the middle of 104 on Saturday. It was stunning how little noise from the South End makes it over there. I could see people belting it out, it just wasn't making it over there. Add to that nobody makes a peep over there, including during Oh Canada, it was awkward when the piped in part ended.

sulfur
04-02-2012, 12:27 PM
I don't believe there was 18,000 at this game for one second......maybe 15.....don't believe MLSE and their numbers...
MLS counts "tickets distributed". Not bodies through the door.

C.Ronaldo
04-02-2012, 12:37 PM
tribal rhythm MUST GO!!!!!!

the south west cant get any songs going with those guys behind us always playing out of tune

i think its time i complain to my rep, just like others did about us standing too long

Pookie
04-02-2012, 02:56 PM
It may sound like nitpicking but all of these things related to "atmosphere" matter. Whether we are talking about the lack of restrooms, the roof and its impact on both acoustics and comfort, the parking, the ease of access, the lack of TTC service for anyone north of the stadium, etc.

It comes down to the notion of perceived value for our dollar and we are putting out more dollars than virtually every other MLS club.

You look around the league and fans are being treated to new buildings, with terrific designs in locations that are easily accessed. Face it, BMO is a hassle to get to for a good percentage of their season ticket base. I know that MLSE don't necessarily control parking in there nor do they control ongoing construction.

However, I've got to hope that the are taking notes and when it comes time to renew this management deal that they seriously consider a new location and amenities that are reflective of the dollars being spent.

rocker
04-02-2012, 03:24 PM
you disagree with me, strongly ... so you think it IS the public library?

You're making an extremist argument. Nobody said they should turn off the music, like a public library. I said they should turn it down.
It wasn't this loud last year in the north west sections. If I can't have a conversation with the person next to me, it's too loud. Again, it's not a rock concert where I expect to sit there quietly next to my guest for the whole hour before the match.... which has been the case during all the games so far. And me and my bro were getting burgers in the north end after gates opened and we thought about sitting by the Food Building and eating our stuff... but when we heard the DJ blasting music at ear piercing levels across the patio, we immediately went up to our seats to have a conversation (but that wasn't any better due to the music).

Come and visit section 125 and you'll see.

I think they made a mistake by sticking all those new speakers on the north light poles. They should have kept the same ones as before and put speakers on the south light poles. Things were perfectly fine volume-wise last year in the north.

Joe Kool
04-02-2012, 03:55 PM
You're making an extremist argument. Nobody said they should turn off the music, like a public library. I said they should turn it down.
It wasn't this loud last year in the north west sections. If I can't have a conversation with the person next to me, it's too loud. Again, it's not a rock concert where I expect to sit there quietly next to my guest for the whole hour before the match.... which has been the case during all the games so far. And me and my bro were getting burgers in the north end after gates opened and we thought about sitting by the Food Building and eating our stuff... but when we heard the DJ blasting music at ear piercing levels across the patio, we immediately went up to our seats to have a conversation (but that wasn't any better due to the music).

I think they made a mistake by sticking all those new speakers on the north light poles. They should have kept the same ones as before and put speakers on the south light poles. Things were perfectly fine volume-wise last year in the north.

I am in the south end and the sound doesn't appear to be any different/louder for me this year versus last year, which I am happy for, so not sure what the goal was for the new system or why they felt it needed to be beefed up. I also sat in other areas of the stadium last year and it sounded fine. That sucks that it is so loud in 125. I would definitely complain about that. You should be able to talk during the game without yelling. It would annoy me too. I used to hang out on the patio pregame with my poutine but now I don't and I head back to my seats because of the volume of the bloody DJ. I can't have a conversation there at all. The Smoke's people are struggling too because they can't hear you well when you are trying to order and when the poutine is ready nobody can hear their ticket number anymore. Pretty crazy. At least I am not forced to be there and I can leave. Would be different if it was blaring at my seat.

tfc007
04-02-2012, 04:25 PM
If the season keeps going like this! (I hope not),with MLSE ticket increase for next year, I think at least a good portion of season ticket holders will walk away!I think the TFC will be remembered for coming into the league and helping MLS acheive new heights,but in the end they (TFC) couldnt help themselves.We always on this board made fun of teams that had empty stadiums and That MLS should move teams to other cities, but I think slowly we are becoming just like those teams like the Chivas,Dallas,Yes I am going to say it Columbus etc.....Its a real shame that this looks like the way its going here in Toronto.Its just too bad! Even my BRO who is strong backer of MLSE for years is starting to change his tune! Many people say this city is cursed for sports teams, I say the only curse in this city is MLSE!

Blizzard
04-02-2012, 04:35 PM

I believe that they are trying to avoid pointing speakers towards Liberty Village and the other communities north of King Street. It may seem like a long way away but under the right circumstances and wind directions, the sound will easily carry there.

That's why they've aimed all the speakers to the south.

All that being said, it is hit and miss as to whether or not we hear them in the south end.

Yohan
04-02-2012, 04:46 PM
I believe that they are trying to avoid pointing speakers towards Liberty Village and the other communities north of King Street. It may seem like a long way away but under the right circumstances and wind directions, the sound will easily carry there.

That's why they've aimed all the speakers to the south.

All that being said, it is hit and miss as to whether or not we hear them in the south end.
fuck em. day/early night time for the games. fuck their noise complaint if they got any. they can't be as prissy as those Toronto Islanders for complaints

glaze
04-02-2012, 05:21 PM
It's the bullshit "value add" tactics that mostly spawned from Apple's rise from the grave. (perhaps someone else, i'm no business major)
Continue to overprice the shit out of your product, but add value to "justify it". So instead of reducing ticket price, just add value with DJ's and high profile friendlies, blah blah.

I think it has more to do with the fact that loud DJs are what MLSE thinks crowds want. During the raptors games, they even have the DJ on during the play, not only breaks in action. Leaf games, Jays games, Argos games, etc, are also equally as bad. Even the Marlies blast the music at all opportunities.

I have attended alot of live sports and I enjoy TFC the most because it provides a true atmosphere. Live events are best when a crowd is into it, even the players seem to feed off it and step up their game. Sadly, teams always seem to think they should be using every stop in play (and now even the pre and post games) to try to create some fake vibe. They should take their cue from the european teams, and hopefully we'll have our players walk out to some type of crowd song like Liverpool/Celtic with you'll never walk alone.

As for the empty seats. the Santos game pretty much summed it up. The premium ones are overpriced. And arguably, the product on the field is not that much of a selling point, so fans in the cheaper seats are starting to weigh their options of going to the game, or just eating the tickets. I think aside from the Montreal, Vancouver, NYRB and Ex game this year, we'll be seeing many crowds similar to this weekends.

jazzy
04-02-2012, 06:02 PM

^ this .....is exactly it....try it in your home , 2 speakers pushed loud definitely sound like crap compared to 4 speakers at a lower volume, surrounding the room....

J .
04-02-2012, 06:05 PM
This is the first year I bought season tickets and if they raise the price I wont renew, especially without the playoffs.

I can buy a ticket for 20 or sometimes get a freebie. The price we pay already is one of the highest in the league.

shimsha2005
04-04-2012, 02:07 AM
Empty seats is more enjoyable for me as a season ticket holder.

It's not like there are less ppl in the south side cheering, so you still hear them go crazy and keep the aura up.

I particularly enjoy the empty seats for the early CCL games, I mean the Canadian Cup championship prior to CCL. I bring a couple of ppl to each one and we sit and talk in the lower dead center nicer chairs seats.

Pros of less ppl at the game:
Less ppl walking past me as I sit throughout the game.
Less ppl walking up and down the stairs getting in my way.
Can leave at 45th min and be at a cash register and back with plenty of time left.
Can chill outside with ample room.
Way better when leaving the stadium. I take the streetcar.

I like the DJ playing music, makes me in a good mood. I prefered DJ wristpect from last year. I really don't know the DJ this year, hopefully he plays good rap. I hope the DJ stays forever.

Haven't really noticed a sound issue of it being too loud, must be my seats.

Red CB Toronto
04-04-2012, 02:44 AM
I get what you to mean to come extent, one of the coolest games I attended in terms of experience, I guess it was just different was the Arabe Unido CCL match at BMO. It was one of the emptiest I had seen BMO out of the Dallas makeup, so I was able to sit with a buddy right behind the TFC bench and hear all the dialogue. Ashtone and Oscar also made their first team debuts as academy call ups for this match.

Huyton
04-04-2012, 01:06 PM
I sat in the middle of 104 on Saturday. It was stunning how little noise from the South End makes it over there. I could see people belting it out, it just wasn't making it over there. Add to that nobody makes a peep over there, including during Oh Canada, it was awkward when the piped in part ended.

Yeah...there's lots of people not singing the anthem now. Not me, though. I remove my hat, raise my scarf and I sing. Loudly. As does my son next to me.

Actually, I still belt out the last names of the starting 11. It would also be nice to know who the substitutes are, though.

And yes, the drummers I was referring to are the Tribal Rhythm Nation people.

The "nightclub" at the entrance to the food building is obnoxious. The line ups to get a beer after a game are now much shorter than they used to be, and I don't hink it's because of fewer people at the game.