View Full Version : TFC @ Santos Laguna Second Leg Pre-match thread

Pages : [1] 2

Oldtimer
03-29-2012, 07:20 PM
8 PM EDT, April 4, 2012

Torreon, Mexico.

Suspended for Santos Laguna:

O. Mares (red card)
C, Quintero (red card) (4 goals in the CCL)

Suspended for TFC:

D. Koevermans (yellow accumulation)

CCL homepage: http://www.concacafchampions.com/page/CL/Home

Sportsnet page: http://www.sportsnet.ca

:scarf::scarf::scarf:

ryan
03-29-2012, 08:31 PM
2-2 all over it.

ensco
03-29-2012, 08:50 PM
Need to get to halftime tied. If we can do that...

FYI Torreon has the dubious honour of being the site of one of the most controversial games in FMF history. A clearly offside Jared Borgetti scored the winning goal for Santos in the 1996 Championship, and all hell broke loose ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4chg66fu-Y&feature=youtube_gdata_player

BS1327
03-29-2012, 09:44 PM
Let's show Herc he's just a mortal! All of his comments are garbage.
I think 2-2 is realistic, and Plata/Silva in for Koev will add some speed!

Abou Sky
03-29-2012, 10:05 PM
After Gomez' asinine comments I think Winter should ask that the game be moved to Kansas City or something for the safety of our boys.

Even if I think it is generally BS, it would teach that douche to shut his f*(king mouth!

EDIT: I read on sportsnet that a 1-1 tie in Torreon means that SL wins b/c of the away goal rule? Why is that? We would both have 1 away goal.

ManUtd4ever
03-29-2012, 10:08 PM
I know it's probably too much too ask for, but I just hope that the match is decided based on merit as opposed to officiating.

--------------Kocic--------------

Eckersley-Harden-Aceval-Morgan

----DeGuzman-----Dunfield-----

---------------Silva--------------

Soolsma--------------------Plata

-------------Johnson------------

Furtado91
03-29-2012, 10:15 PM
After Gomez' asinine comments I think Winter should ask that the game be moved to Kansas City or something for the safety of our boys.

Even if I think it is generally BS, it would teach that douche to shut his f*(king mouth!

EDIT: I read on sportsnet that a 1-1 tie in Torreon means that SL wins b/c of the away goal rule? Why is that? We would both have 1 away goal.

Could they move the game? i take it they would only move the venue due to a very real threat of safety to the opposing team?

ManUtd4ever
03-29-2012, 10:20 PM

The Sportsnet article is inaccurate. A scoreless draw would allow Santos Laguna to advance, a 1-1 draw would force extra time/penalty kicks, and a 2-2 draw (or higher scoring draw) would allow TFC to advance.

TOBOR !
03-29-2012, 10:28 PM
^ and, should the game go into extra time then away goals would no longer count. IE - if both teams score in extra time and the scoreline reads 2-2, the goal by TFC would not count as 'double', and the match would head to penalties

Abou Sky
03-29-2012, 10:28 PM
Could they move the game? i take it they would only move the venue due to a very real threat of safety to the opposing team?

Winter could point to:

1. The fact that if Torreon were the size of Toronto and had the same murder rate per capita it would mean 9000 murders per year (yes, seriously)
2. Gomez himself pointed out that TFC won't be safe there.

I don't think it is unreasonable, I travel all around the world to do business, I had a trip to Bangkok scheduled a few years ago when the riots broke out and I didn't go because I didn't feel it was safe at that time. I think Winter could appeal to the 'gods of CONCACAF' or whatever they are called and make a fair case.

MAN, tks for clearing that up about 1-1, that is what I thought and is why I was confused.

Auzzy
03-29-2012, 10:36 PM
I'm not sure why many people say that the altitude will be so bad in Torreon. It's actually around 1,000 m elevation. The stadiums of RSL (1,350 m) and Colorado Rapids (1,575 m) are significantly higher for example.

Chevy
03-29-2012, 10:41 PM
^ and, should the game go into extra time then away goals would no longer count. IE - if both teams score in extra time and the scoreline reads 2-2, the goal by TFC would not count as 'double', and the match would head to penalties

Is that the case? I thought away goals counted even if they were scored in extra time. Is that rule specific to CONCACAF?

ManUtd4ever
03-29-2012, 10:45 PM
Is that the case? I thought away goals counted even if they were scored in extra time. Is that rule specific to CONCACAF?

Yes, TOBOR is correct. CONCACAF and UEFA differ in that regard. I'm not sure about the other football federations.

Chevy
03-29-2012, 10:45 PM
Never mind CONCACAF rules and UEFA rules are indeed different. The internet is my friend....

CONCACAF (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/CONCACAF) has a different rule for its CONCACAF Champions League (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/CONCACAF_Champions_League), employing away goals at the end of full time of the second leg, but not applying the rule at the end of extra time. For example, the semifinal (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/CONCACAF_Champions_League_2008–09_Championship_Rou nd#Semifinals) of the 2008–09 CONCACAF Champions League (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/CONCACAF_Champions_League_2008–09) between Cruz Azul (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/C.D.S.C._Cruz_Azul) and the Puerto Rico Islanders (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Puerto_Rico_Islanders) had the following scorelines:

First leg: Puerto Rico Islanders 2 – 0 Cruz Azul
Second leg, after 90 minutes: Cruz Azul 2 – 0 Puerto Rico Islanders
Second leg, after extra time: Cruz Azul 3 – 1 Puerto Rico Islanders

Under UEFA rules, the Puerto Rico Islanders would have advanced. However, because CONCACAF does not apply the away goals rule a second time, the tie went to a shootout, which Cruz Azul won 4–2.

Primavera
03-29-2012, 10:48 PM
Is the game going to broadcast here (Toronto)?

Abou Sky
03-29-2012, 11:12 PM
Is the game going to broadcast here (Toronto)?

Yes, on Sportsnet One

IDK if it will be on 590 but if it is what I like to do is turn off the volume and put on 590 b/c the announcer is SOOOOO much better and watch the game with the radio announcer, only problem is you can't pause it to go pee...

jloome
03-30-2012, 12:23 AM
I'm not sure why many people say that the altitude will be so bad in Torreon. It's actually around 1,000 m elevation. The stadiums of RSL (1,350 m) and Colorado Rapids (1,575 m) are significantly higher for example.

Which is over 3,000 feet above sea level. Every coach in MLS admits RSL and Colorado get an advantage at home from altitude. It's not the entire thing, but it does explain why MLS and other foreign teams fade in the second half when playing in Mexico or Ecuador.

Shakes McQueen
03-30-2012, 12:34 AM
I think it's pathetic that Gomez would actually reference what might happen because of their fans in Torreon, as though it's something to be proud of. I'd be embarrassed that my city is known for corruption, absurdly high murder rates, and gunfire in the stadium during a game.

- Scott

kodiakTFC
03-30-2012, 12:36 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MwOFyBiXbk

Jeez.

Oldtimer
03-30-2012, 07:14 AM

I actually cut Gomez some slack for his comments. Remember that he's a middle-class American who grew up going to a high school in Vegas. To follow the dream of being a pro footballer, he's moved to one of the worst cities on the continent. People who live in places like Torreon tend to develop a bit of bravado about their location. For all we know, he's one of those players running for their lives in that video.

Abou Sky
03-30-2012, 07:29 AM
It was a threat to our boys though.

If he just said 'if Toronto fans think they can cheer wait until they see our certifiable fans in Torreon' (or something like that) it is cool, but to threaten our boys is NOT cool!

London
03-30-2012, 07:39 AM
your town might be a shithole of a place to live but this looks pretty child friendly to me

i watched a bunch of vids and you do not have better support LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKQ9XtpD2BQ&feature=related

ryan
03-30-2012, 08:02 AM
the majority of that footage is pre drug cartel war that really kicked it up a couple years ago.

mdc 77
03-30-2012, 08:14 AM
Being at an elevation of 1000m (3000ft) is not that significant and will have little if any impact on the players.

Another infamous moment in the recent history of Torreon;
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/sep/16/mexico-drugs-war-massacre-in-torreon

Primavera
03-30-2012, 08:14 AM
I spent a year working in Torreon in the mid-90s. The city itself didn't really have a lot of charm, but the people were AMAZING and all of my memories are very positive. It saddens me to read about the violence that has gripped the city (and country in general). Having said that.......

GO REDS!!!

ensco
03-30-2012, 08:16 AM
We should go easy here on the crime/drug stuff. It's there, but there is nothing to say. 99% of Mexicans are victims. It's heartbreaking to see that video with terrified families jammed against the concrete dividers.

We should all believe that TFC/MLS and Santos Laguna will all do their bit to make this a safe, fun event.

It's the more usual stuff that I'm worried about (ie the bus braking down from the airport, the 3am phone calls in the hotel rooms).

Primavera
03-30-2012, 08:33 AM
We should go easy here on the crime/drug stuff. It's there, but there is nothing to say. 99% of Mexicans are victims. It's heartbreaking to see that video with terrified families jammed against the concrete dividers.

Indeed. It's impossible to believe for even 1 second that the average Mexican is proud of what has been happening to their amazing country over the past decade.

C.Ronaldo
03-30-2012, 08:58 AM
I know in America they seem to try beat down the mexicans into poverty and gangs but the mexicans I know in canada are lovely people that just want to have a safe BBQ for their families and friends. And would invite the whole block to a party if they could.

Lets be the bigger men, show respect, support our reds without offending Laguna fans.

And their head coach needs a phone call from winter to keep things civil and to remember its just game

Abou Sky
03-30-2012, 12:23 PM
Agreed on Mexicans being generally awesome people, spent a fair amount of time there when I was younger and they are generous inviting people.

That said, it makes Gomez look like even more of a douche because he is reinforcing the optics that Mexico is a nasty crime ridden place that is unsafe for anyone.

Oldtimer
03-30-2012, 01:59 PM
Which is over 3,000 feet above sea level. Every coach in MLS admits RSL and Colorado get an advantage at home from altitude. It's not the entire thing, but it does explain why MLS and other foreign teams fade in the second half when playing in Mexico or Ecuador.

It's also no coincidence that RSL is the only MLS squad to make the final in years.

Carts
03-30-2012, 02:33 PM
The fact of the matter is that a prominent member of their club 'hinted' that TFC won't be safe - in that regard, if the game remains there, bring our own security down and surround the boys lile Barack f'n Obama...

Make the damn hotel a fortress (not b/c of violence, for things like the late night fire alarms & door hammering etc)...

And most of all - use this for MOTIVATION!

They want to play "mind games"...? Beat them where it counts, with 0-1, 1-2, 2-2 scoreline and politely say "see you the f*ck later Gomez" when we get the hell outta that place after the match...

West220Side
03-30-2012, 02:43 PM
Winter could point to:

1. The fact that if Torreon were the size of Toronto and had the same murder rate per capita it would mean 9000 murders per year (yes, seriously)
2. Gomez himself pointed out that TFC won't be safe there.

I don't think it is unreasonable, I travel all around the world to do business, I had a trip to Bangkok scheduled a few years ago when the riots broke out and I didn't go because I didn't feel it was safe at that time. I think Winter could appeal to the 'gods of CONCACAF' or whatever they are called and make a fair case.

MAN, tks for clearing that up about 1-1, that is what I thought and is why I was confused.

I would suggest a letter, or some form of petition sent to Toronto FC/MLSE/CONCACAF. I mean, i'm sure it wouldn't hurt for the supporters group to also advocate for a change of venue.

Luanda
03-30-2012, 02:47 PM
The fact of the matter is that a prominent member of their club 'hinted' that TFC won't be safe - in that regard, if the game remains there, bring our own security down and surround the boys lile Barack f'n Obama...

Make the damn hotel a fortress (not b/c of violence, for things like the late night fire alarms & door hammering etc)...

They want to play "mind games"...? Beat them where it counts, with 0-1, 1-2, 2-2 scoreline and politely say "see you the f*ck later Gomez" when we get the hell outta that place after the match...

Yes, please. 2-2, with Kocic netting the tying goal on the very last play of the game from a corner kick by Soolsma: Epic!!!

ManUtd4ever
03-30-2012, 02:50 PM
If anyone wants to have a laugh, check out Herculez Gomez's twitter account. TFC/MLS supporters tore him a new one regarding his despicable comments about the safety of TFC players at the stadium in Torreon. I love it.

backbeat
03-30-2012, 02:52 PM
If anyone wants to have a laugh, check out Herculez Gomez's twitter account. TFC/MLS supporters tore him a new one regarding his despicable comments about the safety of TFC players at the stadium in Torreon. I love it.

link?

ManUtd4ever
03-30-2012, 02:56 PM
link?

https://twitter.com/#!/herculezg

TFCBarrie
03-30-2012, 03:05 PM
Yes, please. 2-2, with Kocic netting the tying goal on the very last play of the game from a corner kick by Soolsma: Epic!!!

I don't know if my heart could take a corner in the 94th minute with us down by 1.

Luanda
03-30-2012, 04:00 PM
I don't know if my heart could take a corner in the 94th minute with us down by 1.

Mine would not, but what the heck... EPIC!

FIAF
03-30-2012, 04:22 PM

Don't really know what Gomez is talking about. Santos stadium isn't too intimidating and it isn't too popular compared to other teams. Besides in Mexico you don't get much of alarms and door banging. It doesn't happen. Why do you guys assume that?

I'm Mexican I know and hopefully Toronto can pull it off. It will be tough but it can be done.

ensco
03-30-2012, 05:31 PM
Besides in Mexico you don't get much of alarms and door banging. It doesn't happen. Why do you guys assume that?

I have heard JDG talk at a team event about being serenaded all night before Canada-Mexico WCQ games by horns and mariachi bands outside the hotel. USA team bus famously broke down three times on the way into Mexico City a few years back (just did a quick search for a link, couldn't find one, may look more if I get in the mood)

I'm not from Mexico, but I believe the fans there are as rabid as anywhere on earth, and these sorts of things do occur before truly big games. I'm not 100% sure this game is a big enough game to Santos Laguna to warrant supporters staying up all night to "entertain" the visitors.

Also I hope/believe that there will be a TON of security, which may limit all that.

RedRum
03-31-2012, 03:35 AM
If someone told me a week ago we would being going to SL tied and down an away goal I would have felt distraught. Today I don't. Are we going to lose? Probably. Destroyed? Possibly. But...

All rational thought aside, things are poised for a David and Goliath upset. The first red to Mares I can defend the ref's call, as much as I know he favored us in the game. My impression is Mares saw Ecks coming, got to the ball and raised the boot to defend himself against what he knew was going to be inevitable pain. Look at the replay again. I have seen those type of challenges many times, but how many times does a guy go to ground like that and then raise his foot at about 40 degrees. Ecks gets for sure yellow and probably red If Mares' foot stays anywhere near the ground. With the scoreline what it was, a selfish play imo.

Quintero doing that at the end of the game was doorknob-like IQ stupid. You came here and got the result you could feel comfortable with. Not wanted, but gladly taken. Headbutt at the final whistle? Bright.

Gomez? Are you kidding me? It is universal in sports, don't give them anything extra to play for. Don't guarantee wins, don't make threats etc. Herculez Gomez is not the Mark Messier of football. stfu.

Can we do it? Yes. We. Cann.

Carts
03-31-2012, 08:12 AM

I would streak naked through the streets of Toronto with nothing but a TFC flag and a tallboy of beer if that happens! LOL

Carts
03-31-2012, 08:13 AM
If someone told me a week ago we would being going to SL tied and down an away goal I would have felt distraught. Today I don't. Are we going to lose? Probably. Destroyed? Possibly. But...

All rational thought aside, things are poised for a David and Goliath upset. The first red to Mares I can defend the ref's call, as much as I know he favored us in the game. My impression is Mares saw Ecks coming, got to the ball and raised the boot to defend himself against what he knew was going to be inevitable pain. Look at the replay again. I have seen those type of challenges many times, but how many times does a guy go to ground like that and then raise his foot at about 40 degrees. Ecks gets for sure yellow and probably red If Mares' foot stays anywhere near the ground. With the scoreline what it was, a selfish play imo.

Quintero doing that at the end of the game was doorknob-like IQ stupid. You came here and got the result you could feel comfortable with. Not wanted, but gladly taken. Headbutt at the final whistle? Bright.

Gomez? Are you kidding me? It is universal in sports, don't give them anything extra to play for. Don't guarantee wins, don't make threats etc. Herculez Gomez is not the Mark Messier of football. stfu.

Can we do it? Yes. We. Cann.

DAMN RIGHT WE CAN....!!!!

We need to go down there and attack like the HAMMERS OF HELL...!!!! BRING'EM HELL...!!!!

Roogsy
03-31-2012, 08:25 AM
I would streak naked through the streets of Toronto with nothing but a TFC flag and a tallboy of beer if that happens! LOL

You do know that's exactly what is going to happen and you're gonna have to do it right?

Yohan
03-31-2012, 09:05 AM
You do know that's exactly what is going to happen and you're gonna have to do it right?

you speak as if Carts have dignity in the first place ;)

FIAF
03-31-2012, 10:06 AM
I have heard JDG talk at a team event about being serenaded all night before Canada-Mexico WCQ games by horns and mariachi bands outside the hotel. USA team bus famously broke down three times on the way into Mexico City a few years back (just did a quick search for a link, couldn't find one, may look more if I get in the mood)

I'm not from Mexico, but I believe the fans there are as rabid as anywhere on earth, and these sorts of things do occur before truly big games. I'm not 100% sure this game is a big enough game to Santos Laguna to warrant supporters staying up all night to "entertain" the visitors.

Also I hope/believe that there will be a TON of security, which may limit all that.

National team examples but for clubs don't think so.

By the way I think Gomez deleted his tweet? :/

Carts
03-31-2012, 10:45 AM

If its done, than so it shall be done... (but, can we get a cop to oversee it so I don't get arrested - not the worst request)

you speak as if Carts have dignity in the first place ;)

Damn, you know me too well! :banghead:

ensco
03-31-2012, 11:04 AM
National team examples but for clubs don't think so.

Ahh OK

Luanda
03-31-2012, 11:05 PM

I have light a candle for good measure.

ensco
03-31-2012, 11:15 PM
Players that played 90 minutes Wednesday and Saturday:

Harden
Morgan
Eckersley
Johnson

Our backline is going to be seriously fatigued in the second half next Wednesday.

T-boy
04-01-2012, 08:05 AM
Players that played 90 minutes Wednesday and Saturday:

Harden
Morgan
Eckersley
Johnson

Our backline is going to be seriously fatigued in the second half next Wednesday.

Im sorry but we really can't use this as an excuse if we don't win on Wednesday. Professional athletes should be able to play 3 games in 7 days, especially young players like Ecks, Morgan, and Johnson. Let's not make excuses before the game even begins!

prizby
04-01-2012, 08:20 AM
so tfc is not promoting any viewing party at real sports now? what happened to it being the official place to watch?

bigredone
04-01-2012, 08:54 AM
Im sorry but we really can't use this as an excuse if we don't win on Wednesday. Professional athletes should be able to play 3 games in 7 days, especially young players like Ecks, Morgan, and Johnson. Let's not make excuses before the game even begins!

Agreed! Judging by the posts we would appear to be doomed.

Canadian teams will only surrender one game to the Mexicans.

FIAF
04-01-2012, 10:39 AM
http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/content.php?3013-ICF-Interview-Only-Guest-Herculez-Gomez

Podcast interview of Hercules Gomez who has been getting a lot flaming on twitter.

Rene Kingsriver
04-01-2012, 11:00 AM
so tfc is not promoting any viewing party at real sports now? what happened to it being the official place to watch?

I heard there was a private function

rocker
04-01-2012, 11:54 AM
3 games in 7 days is a lot for anybody though. Hard to be 100% for all three games. And even if Ecks, Morgan and Johnson can handle it, you've got 8 other players on the field and there's bound to be a few veterans playing, who might be the weak links fitness-wise.

It's not an excuse -- it's reality. And flying to Mexico and playing at altitude a few days after playing thousands of miles away doesn't make it any easier. And then they have to fly from Mexico to Montreal and play a road game.

I thought it was pretty clear last year that when TFC played after a week off they played better than when they had fixture congestion.

Thankfully Santos is playing today, away, although who knows if they'll play any starters.

jaxul
04-01-2012, 12:11 PM
Gomez not in the lineup for Santos for their league match in Toluca this afternoon. If anyone wants to take a look, they are playing now : http://www.realtvsport.com/channel-2.php Not the best quality though.

Yohan
04-01-2012, 12:24 PM
Gomez not in the lineup for Santos for their league match in Toluca this afternoon. If anyone wants to take a look, they are playing now : http://www.realtvsport.com/channel-2.php Not the best quality though.

http://www.firstrowsports.eu/watch/116706/1/watch-toluca-vs-santos-laguna.html

Yohan
04-01-2012, 12:35 PM
http://www.firstrowsports.eu/watch/116706/1/watch-toluca-vs-santos-laguna.html
I'm pre lubing my bum and getting a massive buttplug because Santos Laguna is ripping Toluca apart right now

Lennon
04-01-2012, 01:00 PM
Is that their 1st or 2nd string line up on the field right now ..? I see that only 3 outfield players that started vs. TFC are in the starting lineup for this game ..

Yohan
04-01-2012, 01:04 PM
Is that their 1st or 2nd string line up on the field right now ..? I see that only 3 outfield players that started vs. TFC are in the starting lineup for this game ..

I count mostly first team... though I admit that I don't know much about FMF

http://www.goal.com/en-us/match/75577/toluca-vs-santos-laguna/lineup-stats

Yohan
04-01-2012, 01:07 PM
Santos playing like they got some pent up frustration or something. 3-0 Santos

Lennon
04-01-2012, 01:10 PM

Which means it was mostly reserves vs. TFC ..
Hopefully we see a a similar lineup on Wednesday.

Yohan
04-01-2012, 02:01 PM
final was Santos Laguna 3-1 Toluca. Santos put a strong performance away in Toluca and looks to be in full gear for Wed's game

If Toronto doesn't come out strong in first 15mins and nick a goal, before Santos gets settled and their crowd shows up (it's a 6pm game for the Mexicans), and defend like hell for the rest of the game, it's going to be very hard

prizby
04-01-2012, 06:02 PM

Juan Pablo Rodriquez was suspended last game
Daniel Luduena was injured

they were missing last leg; outside of that, i think there two central defenders weren't regulars; apparently their LB (one of the red cards) is their weakest link on the field
so i'd say we saw about 7 out of 11 starters at bmo field

against toluca, looks like they started their strongest first 11 they could;

looks like luduena is still injured; hercules didn't dress, so he's injured then you got the two reds, so thats 4 players they'll potentially still be missing on REDnesday

Pookie
04-01-2012, 08:35 PM
Effects of altitude can be overcome if you compete within less than 24 hours of arriving. After 24 hours, you end up showing signs of dehydration, etc.

If competition in less than 24 hours is impossible, you need at least 2 weeks to acclimatize and work through the effects. Here's hoping someone on the training staff reads medical journals and talked to the travel coordinator.

As for the "threat to players", anyone catch Nick Dasovic on Wheeler's post game show (TSN Radio 1050) on Saturday? He talked about what it would be like in Mexico for our boys. From hotels that experience power failures, early morning phone calls, late buses, and not trusting room service... sounds like another reason to spend less than 24 hours there.

Can't find a link but it sure will be an experience.

Joe Kool
04-02-2012, 10:07 AM
Effects of altitude can be overcome if you compete within less than 24 hours of arriving. After 24 hours, you end up showing signs of dehydration, etc.

If competition in less than 24 hours is impossible, you need at least 2 weeks to acclimatize and work through the effects. Here's hoping someone on the training staff reads medical journals and talked to the travel coordinator.

As for the "threat to players", anyone catch Nick Dasovic on Wheeler's post game show (TSN Radio 1050) on Saturday? He talked about what it would be like in Mexico for our boys. From hotels that experience power failures, early morning phone calls, late buses, and not trusting room service... sounds like another reason to spend less than 24 hours there.

Can't find a link but it sure will be an experience.

Guess Mexican teams can't win fair and square. What a joke. They have the quality to win games so why do the fans feel they got to go that extra mile. Not very sporting. Hopefully TFC do their homework to get the best result. I don't see why they wouldn't.

TFCBarrie
04-02-2012, 10:18 AM
4-0 TFC. Ryan Johnson x2, Soolsma and Silva. Some how, some way, they're going to do it.

Oldtimer
04-02-2012, 10:21 AM
4-0 TFC. Ryan Johnson x2, Soolsma and Silva. Some how, some way, they're going to do it.

I'd sure like to have your optimism. I'm expecting something like 4-1 SL, better than Seattle, and quite a respectable showing, but nothing close to a win.

ManUtd4ever
04-02-2012, 10:32 AM
Considering the lineup that Winter utilized on Saturday, I'd like to see him go with this on Wednesday...

---------------Kocic---------------

Eckersley-Henry-Aceval-Morgan

-------Stinson---DeGuzman-----

---------------Silva---------------

Soolsma---------------------Plata

-------------Johnson--------------

Bench: Dunfield, Lambe, Burgos, Maund, Harden, Cordon

Roogsy
04-02-2012, 10:39 AM
I'm pre lubing my bum and getting a massive buttplug because Santos Laguna is ripping Toluca apart right now

I don't believe you were doing it because of the Santos game...tell the truth. :lol:

MartinUtd
04-02-2012, 10:50 AM
Considering the lineup that Winter utilized on Saturday, I'd like to see him go with this on Wednesday...

Fingers crossed, this is the line up. Although I still like Plata as an impact sub, maybe have Lambe play the first 60 minutes. He's better defensively IMO.

We need a big game from Stinson and I hope we're not asking too much of the kid but ever since I saw him boss the midfield against NYRB last year I've had high hopes for him. He's got the legs and the physicality to really frustrate SLG. Like I said, fingers crossed.

TFCBarrie
04-02-2012, 10:55 AM
I'd sure like to have your optimism. I'm expecting something like 4-1 SL, better than Seattle, and quite a respectable showing, but nothing close to a win.

I'm a proud blind-faithist Oldtimer, makes it more enjoyable for me.

BayernTFC
04-02-2012, 12:33 PM
Santos Laguna is an excellent team from a strong league. I'm looking forward to seeing how TFC performs in Torreon. I think it will be interesting to watch which players rise to the occasion.

TOBOR !
04-02-2012, 01:27 PM
Considering the lineup that Winter utilized on Saturday, I'd like to see him go with this on Wednesday...---------------Kocic---------------Eckersley-Henry-Aceval-Morgan-------Stinson---DeGuzman--------------------Silva---------------Soolsma---------------------Plata-------------Johnson--------------Bench: Dunfield, Lambe, Burgos, Maund, Harden, CordonI'd rather see Plata sub in for Lambe in the 65th minute. I think Joao will be more effective as a substitute.

Auzzy
04-02-2012, 01:40 PM

What, no Danny? Not even on the bench?

Joe Kool
04-02-2012, 01:46 PM
What, no Danny? Not even on the bench?

Yellow card accumulation.

ensco
04-02-2012, 01:57 PM
I think we're going to be in this game. I think we could even pull it off.

1) They were very frustrated and off their game last Wednesday. We don't need to figure out what to do. More of the same, please.

2) We tied Cruz Azul away in 2010. RSL tied Monterrey in the first leg of the final away last year. It's not that bizarre an outcome.

3) I don't think they care about this tournament that much.

4) In 2012, we have played 3 excellent games, out of 6 games played total. on the day, we can cause serious problems for people.

5) Could Frings make a shock return? Wasn't he "jogging about" a few days ago?

Roogsy
04-02-2012, 02:02 PM
Two of those excellent games were with Frings my friend. Without him, and Danny out with card accumulation, my optimism has taken cover under the blankets.

I hope I am wrong.

Nuvinho
04-02-2012, 02:37 PM
5) Could Frings make a shock return? Wasn't he "jogging about" a few days ago?

He was jogging today.

Auzzy
04-02-2012, 02:38 PM
Yellow card accumulation.

Ah shit, of course, duh to me...

BayernTFC
04-02-2012, 02:50 PM
3) I don't think they care about this tournament that much.

Would the bad blood at the end of the First Leg in Toronto change Santos Laguna's approach to this match? Have SL fans taken notice of the incident? Are any TFC fans more charged up about this match because of the way the last one with them ended? Am I the only one who prefers watching TFC play Mexican sides than American ones?

Yohan
04-02-2012, 02:51 PM
I don't believe you were doing it because of the Santos game...tell the truth. :lol:

*sigh* whatever to please the hot dominatrix mistress, dude ;)

rocker
04-02-2012, 03:12 PM
Am I the only one who prefers watching TFC play Mexican sides than American ones?

I think TFC's style under Winter favours playing these Mexican sides. It's a good fit, even though they are more talented on the ball of course. Other MLS teams are more cagey, more willing to play longball and also bully opponents (although some TFC players can do this too). I was looking at San Jose's recent win in Seattle and Seattle dominated all the stats, including passing numbers. But it didn't work. I believe there's a clash of styles going on in MLS right now, with a shift towards the beautiful way..... but some teams are sticking to the tried and true approach that can nick results (not unlike what MoJo tried to do with TFC.. but his awful roster management fucked it all up).

RedRum
04-02-2012, 03:17 PM
I'm praying Frings and Cann are capable of playing a half. If they are I would start them rather than bring them on later when it would probably be too late.

TFCBarrie
04-02-2012, 03:22 PM
I think TFC's style under Winter favours playing these Mexican sides. It's a good fit, even though they are more talented on the ball of course. Other MLS teams are more cagey, more willing to play longball and also bully opponents (although some TFC players can do this too). I was looking at San Jose's recent win in Seattle and Seattle dominated all the stats, including passing numbers. But it didn't work. I believe there's a clash of styles going on in MLS right now, with a shift towards the beautiful way..... but some teams are sticking to the tried and true approach that can nick results (not unlike what MoJo tried to do with TFC.. but his awful roster management fucked it all up).

I think there's 4 or 5 different styles dominating this league right now. Some teams are employing the grit and hardwork of england, some are employing the tricky speed of South America, the "beautiful" game of spain etc. It's quite a strange league to watch at the moment.

Blakfish
04-02-2012, 03:26 PM
DK's size will definitely be missed against the smaller Mexican side. Such a stupid booking in the last game, and not warranted at all in my opinion. Would prefer to see Lambe for the first hour then utilize Plata's pace in the last half an hour when tired legs start to become a factor, although by that point we could be 2 or 3 down and Plata's appearance will make very little different. Would be very suprised with a result down there, I'm thinking a fairly comfortable 3-0 win for Santos unfortunately :(

We need to get the ball down and play football rather than just hoofing it upfield - particularly if Plata is starting. Pass and move, run into space and take the game to Santos. Gonna be a hostile atmosphere down there, I'm excited to see how the boys play.

BayernTFC
04-02-2012, 04:16 PM
I think TFC's style under Winter favours playing these Mexican sides. It's a good fit, even though they are more talented on the ball of course.
I would have to agree based on what I've seen from TFC under Winter. To me, Preki's team looked much better against the Mexican and Central American sides too. TFC appears to me to have a completely different approach to the Canadian Championship and CCL games than they do during MLS play.

I have watched Mexican Primera Division matches before. They have a quality league and their matches can be exiting. Is there a chance for Canadian teams to build rivalries against Mexican teams if matchups become more frequent because of the CCL? I don't really get the sense of there being rivalries between the US and Canadian squads in MLS.

Yohan
04-02-2012, 04:23 PM
I have watched Mexican Primera Division matches before. They have a quality league and their matches can be exiting. Is there a chance for Canadian teams to build rivalries against Mexican teams if matchups become more frequent because of the CCL? I don't really get the sense of there being rivalries between the US and Canadian squads in MLS.
lol. why would FMF snobs think Canadian teams as a rival? they thumb their nose down at us for playing in MLS pretty much

there are rivalries in MLS. Cascadia being really good one. the others aren't as overt

BayernTFC
04-02-2012, 04:49 PM
lol. why would FMF snobs think Canadian teams as a rival? they thumb their nose down at us for playing in MLS pretty much
I don't know? Given time and consistent performances from Canadian sides in the CCL, maybe more heated incidents like the one at BMO last Wednesday, and something might start. Canadian teams shouldn't immediately expect to be respected. I think the fact that Canada lacks a Canadian first or second division makes for a unique situation and lends itself to the question about who to get exited about playing against. I'm not the one who created the idea of the Trillium cup. There isn't any difference to me whether TFC is playing, New York, Columbus, KC or Houston other than the players on the pitch. How do you feel about competition against US squads? I don't know about FMF snobbery, but I'd like to see a Canadian league myself. How about a league modeled after the Apertura and Clausura that's used in Mexico rather than the more traditional US sports league like the MLS?

there are rivalries in MLS. Cascadia being really good one. the others aren't as overtI understand the geographic significance between Seattle, Portland and Vancouver. Is the rivalry between Vancouver and the US teams as passionate as the one between Seattle and Portland. Will it continue to be significant in a parity league like the MLS? What if those teams don't meet in the playoffs very often?

Whoop
04-02-2012, 05:30 PM
Via Kurtis Larson.

Rodrigo Medina‏ @RodrigoGilME (https://twitter.com/#!/RodrigoGilME)

@Kara_Lang (https://twitter.com/#!/Kara_Lang) Today's ad in the local newspaper. Tickets start at 8 dlls. And Herculez G. is giving away 1000.

https://p.twimg.com/ApfBskbCIAAVmlk.jpg

GhostKiller
04-02-2012, 05:41 PM
Via Kurtis Larson.

Are those bees? Why are there bees?

RealG-TFC
04-02-2012, 05:52 PM
maple syrup = honey to mexicans?

I think you missed the most important part of this ad though....BEER IS LESS THAN 2$CAD!?!?!?!?!

Whoop
04-02-2012, 06:21 PM
Yeah the conversion rate puts it at about $1.36 CAD.

nascarguy
04-02-2012, 06:36 PM
so is everyone going to be at joe's to watch the game

TFC07
04-02-2012, 06:43 PM
Yank is giving away 1000 tickets? Wow, he really wants to beat TFC now especially after he threaten TFC with violence.

Oldtimer
04-02-2012, 06:56 PM
For convenience, here's the ad:

http://p.twimg.com/ApfBskbCIAAVmlk.jpg

Note they see it as Mexico vs. Canada.

Also note the "pleasant" motif of a hand crushing a maple leaf.

You can tell what they expect the result to be.

MartinUtd
04-02-2012, 06:59 PM
They're over confident. Despite our *ahem* personnel issues this can only be good news for us.

Lennon
04-02-2012, 07:05 PM
They're over confident. Despite our *ahem* personnel issues this can only be good news for us.

You think they would have learned after the scare Montreal gave them a few years back .. guess not !

ag futbol
04-02-2012, 07:07 PM
It struck me for a second that our cerveza is nearly the same price ... but in dollars instead of pesos :picard:

Canary10
04-02-2012, 07:55 PM
Gotta hand it to them, that's a pretty good ad. Except for the bees or whatever they are.

MartinUtd
04-02-2012, 08:05 PM
Maybe the bees are code for bringing da ruckus

MartinUtd
04-02-2012, 08:07 PM
Also, Herc G buying 1000 tickets? Sounds like he's more worried about the crowed backing up his big mouth than the game.

Pookie
04-02-2012, 08:16 PM
Also, Herc G buying 1000 tickets? Sounds like he's more worried about the crowed backing up his big mouth than the game.

If a player can give away 1,000 tickets, 2 days before a game maybe their marketing department is as swift as ours.

RealG-TFC
04-02-2012, 08:18 PM
fwiw i actually listened to the Extra time podcast on mlssoccer and he said he bought 100. He said his teamate Marc Crosas bought another 100 too.

ensco
04-02-2012, 09:13 PM
Am I the only one who prefers watching TFC play Mexican sides than American ones?

Me too. If we win Wednesday, we need to drop MLS and join the FMF.

KGH
04-02-2012, 09:55 PM
Ref has been announced. Jose Pineda. He's done one match in the CCL with LA vs Morelia In Mexico. The stats say Morelia dominated possession 72%-28% (although with no beckham in the lineup). He called 6 fouls on Morelia and 9 on LA and only 1yellow.

Might be the best we could have drawn.

Abou Sky
04-02-2012, 10:31 PM
Yank is giving away 1000 tickets? Wow, he really wants to beat TFC now especially after he threaten TFC with violence.

Herc is a class act.

It is questionable whether the 'dogfight' quote was him.

Listen to the interview with him on 'it's called football'

Also, any of the interviews before the game.

I think he is giving away tix for people to be able to come that want to but can't afford it, NOT to 'back him up'

I want to hate him too, and he is on the wrong side of the pitch and all but he is a really decent, respectful, classy guy.

Others on the team however... Not so much.

nascarguy
04-02-2012, 10:35 PM
I do not think we could beat them so I'm saying it going to be 3-1 for santos. anyone driveing to joe's from hamilton area

Whoop
04-02-2012, 10:36 PM

This. LOL

Auzzy
04-02-2012, 10:43 PM
Ref has been announced. Jose Pineda. He's done one match in the CCL with LA vs Morelia In Mexico. The stats say Morelia dominated possession 72%-28% (although with no beckham in the lineup). He called 6 fouls on Morelia and 9 on LA and only 1yellow.

Might be the best we could have drawn.

Wow, doesn't sound too bad! I was really wondering who the ref would be...

Here seems to be more of this ref's record:

http://www.football-lineups.com/referee/1363/?iframe=true&width=80%&height=80%

Abou Sky
04-02-2012, 11:07 PM
I do not think we could beat them so I'm saying it going to be 3-1 for santos.

Ye of little faith...

2-2 tie, we move forward and there is a crazy ass riot at the stadium.

TFCREDNWHITE
04-02-2012, 11:52 PM
Have faith! We will win!

Fushida
04-03-2012, 12:06 AM
what's the commotion about gomez threatening tfc with violence? there was an errant quote on the star about it that he's personally denied. why should we trust the newspaper that hasn't sourced anything over the guy who denies it vehemently himself? i'm not a fan of his by any means but people sure made a big fuss over something that's not 100% confirmed. pretty weak reporting by the star tbh to provide such a damning quote with no source at all.

Abou Sky
04-03-2012, 12:29 AM
what's the commotion about gomez threatening tfc with violence? there was an errant quote on the star about it that he's personally denied. why should we trust the newspaper that hasn't sourced anything over the guy who denies it vehemently himself? i'm not a fan of his by any means but people sure made a big fuss over something that's not 100% confirmed. pretty weak reporting by the star tbh to provide such a damning quote with no source at all.
Star pulled the quote, it came off a 'quote sheet' so SOME SL player said it but not him.

Again, class act and I would welcome him to Toronto either as a guest in my home or even better, a part of our team.

Anyone who thinks he is a villian REALLY needs to listen to the 'it's called football' interview with him.

Oldtimer
04-03-2012, 07:29 AM
Cann will probably be playing. Hopefully this will relegate Harden back to back-up status.

Red Rat
04-03-2012, 07:31 AM
Cann must be feeling some serious pressure to perform right now, I am not so sure how he will fit in but that remains to be seen

Red Rat
04-03-2012, 07:34 AM
hahahaaha
Bienvenido a la casa del dolor ajeno!!!
well they will try to make painful alright
Via Kurtis Larson.

Auzzy
04-03-2012, 08:06 AM
I've thought about this a couple of times. Isn't Cann primarily a left-footed LCB, just like Aceval?

Red Rat
04-03-2012, 08:18 AM
I've thought about this a couple of times. Isn't Cann primarily a left-footed LCB, just like Aceval?

yes he is so how they will play Aceval will be the question

ryan
04-03-2012, 08:32 AM
Perhaps Aceval can't go?

Detroit_TFC
04-03-2012, 08:50 AM

Well played sir! I think you may be on to something here. ROTFL

Detroit_TFC
04-03-2012, 08:54 AM
Herc is a class act.

It is questionable whether the 'dogfight' quote was him.

Listen to the interview with him on 'it's called football'

Also, any of the interviews before the game.

I think he is giving away tix for people to be able to come that want to but can't afford it, NOT to 'back him up'

I want to hate him too, and he is on the wrong side of the pitch and all but he is a really decent, respectful, classy guy.

Others on the team however... Not so much.

Full disclosure - he's one of my favorites in the FMF, along with Humberto Suazo (well, Herc, not much lately, will return so after tomorrow). I think the way he's been iced out of the USMNT despite his unreal form lately has been outrageous.

Yohan
04-03-2012, 08:54 AM
yes he is so how they will play Aceval will be the question

I thought Cann was a righty with a decent left foot like Harden and Barrett (see what I did there? lol)

I think Cann might be forced to play if Aceval is not good to go, but do you really want to risk a guy who recently came off a year long injury, likely not match fit yet, on his first game back against the likely toughest opponent TFC is going to play this year?

Couchy81
04-03-2012, 09:34 AM
I don't think it would be a good idea to risk Cann too early, those guys are going to play hard and dirty and a big slow guy just coming off surgery like Cann will likely end up on the ground and out again.

Carts
04-03-2012, 10:13 AM
Herc is a class act.

From everything I have seen with Hercules Gomez - DOUCHE BAG is what comes to mind... In fact Class Act is one of the last things I would call him...

TFCBarrie
04-03-2012, 10:42 AM
Cann hasn't played a serious, competitive football game in almost a year. He should be introduced slowly against MLS opponents, not thrown in the fire against the speed of Santos Laguna.

Yohan
04-03-2012, 10:55 AM
From everything I have seen with Hercules Gomez - DOUCHE BAG is what comes to mind... In fact Class Act is one of the last things I would call him...
http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/content.php?3013-ICF-Interview-Only-Guest-Herculez-Gomez

Gomez interview with Rollins

Greatest Ripoff
04-03-2012, 11:40 AM
Cann hasn't played a serious, competitive football game in almost a year. He should be introduced slowly against MLS opponents, not thrown in the fire against the speed of Santos Laguna.

He played in the reservers against Columbus on Saturday. So is ins't coming in completely cold.

Yohan
04-03-2012, 11:49 AM
He played in the reservers against Columbus on Saturday. So is ins't coming in completely cold.

he played 45mins, which isn't really a lot

Hitcho
04-03-2012, 11:58 AM
Need to get to halftime tied. If we can do that...

FYI Torreon has the dubious honour of being the site of one of the most controversial games in FMF history. A clearly offside Jared Borgetti scored the winning goal for Santos in the 1996 Championship, and all hell broke loose ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4chg66fu-Y&feature=youtube_gdata_player

What was all hell breaking loose about that? Relatively calm protests from the other side, even after one of them get sent off. No fights, no crowd trouble (in the footage, anyway). Also that made the score 4-2, so how was it the winning goal (unless they needed to win by two to win the league on goal difference maybe?).

Sorry, not trying to sit on your post ensco, it's just i watched the link and kept waiting for hell to break loose... :D

Hitcho
04-03-2012, 12:01 PM
It's also no coincidence that RSL is the only MLS squad to make the final in years.

Until now... :D

Yohan
04-03-2012, 12:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEbN6Vnr1g8

You go out there, tear their fucking heads off and you shit down their necks

MartinUtd
04-03-2012, 12:07 PM
Personally I'd be worried about starting an out of form Adrian Cann against our toughest opponent. He's better in the air than he his with his feet anyway so right there he doesn't seem like the best fit for this game.

GhostKiller
04-03-2012, 12:19 PM
If Aceval can't go a full 90 then I think Cann might be able to step in and help, but only under an emergency. Cann is a vet and knows his limitations as a player. I think if Winter tells him to stand up his man and not bite when they start to dangle he could be a solid sub. His speed is all I would be worried about. (I also don't know his form now so that's just a speculation)

Roogsy
04-03-2012, 12:54 PM

Very interesting interview.

Not to add more fuel to the fire, Gomez does refer to the difficulty of playing in Toronto "in the first couple of years" as being tough, which seems to indicate it's not seen as difficult a place anymore to get results in the last few years.

The proof seems to support him.

ManUtd4ever
04-03-2012, 01:01 PM

Not to add more fuel to the fire, Gomez does refer to the difficulty of playing in Toronto "in the first couple of years" as being tough, which seems to indicate it's not seen as difficult a place anymore to get results in the last few years.

Sad but true. I was mentioning to my buddy on the way out of BMO Field last Saturday that I've almost forgotten what it feels like to leave the stadium after a victory over the last couple of years. Hopefully, that will change for the duration of the season.

Oldtimer
04-03-2012, 01:07 PM
Kurtis Lawson has just tweeted some facts to give the more optimistic among us a reality check:

(1) SL has sold 25k tickets out of a possible 29k. We can expect almost 100% of those to be home fans. Very, very hostile home fans.
(2) Odds makers have pegged this match at 11-1 against TFC winning. That's not FC Barcelona vs. AS Monaco FC odds. That's FC Barcelona vs. Erin Mills Eagles odds.

If TFC pulls off even a 2-2, it will be the biggest upset in CCL history. Impossible? No, nothing's impossible. Likely? Of course not.

Yohan
04-03-2012, 01:13 PM
Aceval back on practice. likely fit for tomorrow?

Carts
04-03-2012, 01:17 PM

I'll pass, thanks...

Yohan
04-03-2012, 01:18 PM
-------------Kocic
-Eckersley-Harden-Aceval-Morgan
-------------De Guzman
--------Dunfield---Silva
Soolsma-----------------Lambe
-------------Johnson

Subs
Rowe
Cann
Henry
Stinson
Plata
Burgos
Makubuya

Lennon
04-03-2012, 01:22 PM
(2) Odds makers have pegged this match at 11-1 against TFC winning. That's not FC Barcelona vs. AS Monaco FC odds. That's FC Barcelona vs. Erin Mills Eagles odds.

Eh, no not really. AC Milan is 11-1 to beat Barcelona tonight :p.
Having said that I think the true odds of TFC beating Santos are closer to 20-1 then 11-1.

jloome
04-03-2012, 03:22 PM

It implies nothing. That's simply when Gomez played in MLS. He played here with Colorado and Kansas City.

Whoop
04-03-2012, 03:32 PM
I don't see BMO to be intimidating anymore like it was in earlier years.

The only intimidation factor these days would be the weather, when the wind is coming off the lake and it makes it seem a lot colder than it really is.

cougars732
04-03-2012, 03:50 PM
Heard a rumour that Real Sports is closed for a private event tomorrow evening. Anyone know if there is any truth to this?

king dave
04-03-2012, 04:29 PM
Just called to make a reservation for 50 people (not) and was informed that the entire bar/restaurant was closed for a private function.
Kinda surprised (not) as MLSE has been very supportive and welcoming of it's teams supporters.
Probably the Richard Peddie retirement party LOL.
See ya in Montreal kids!
KD.

EastYork
04-03-2012, 04:32 PM
Eh, no not really. AC Milan is 11-1 to beat Barcelona tonight :p.
Having said that I think the true odds of TFC beating Santos are closer to 20-1 then 11-1.
Today's odds from sportingbet are Santos 1.20, Tie 5.50 and TFC 12.00

Auzzy
04-03-2012, 05:45 PM
Short video from TFC's arrival in Torreon.

http://www.torontofc.ca/video/2012/04/03/tfc-arrives-torreon-april-3-2012

Lennon
04-03-2012, 06:57 PM
Today's odds from sportingbet are Santos 1.20, Tie 5.50 and TFC 12.00

Yea I know. I was saying that those odds are more comparable to Barca-Milan then Barca-Erin Mills Eagles ..

Oldtimer
04-03-2012, 07:00 PM
Short video from TFC's arrival in Torreon.

http://www.torontofc.ca/video/2012/04/03/tfc-arrives-torreon-april-3-2012

Good to see all those cops. A very necessary precaution.

Oldtimer
04-03-2012, 07:01 PM
Yea I know. I was saying that those odds are more comparable to Barca-Milan then Barca-Erin Mills Eagles ..

I think you've just insulted every Milan fan on this board. No way Milan is 12-1 to lose against Barca.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
04-03-2012, 08:52 PM
2-1 TFC i shit you not....Johnson scores late....!!!

Shway
04-03-2012, 08:52 PM

for a tough guy, he sounds like a bitch

Lennon
04-03-2012, 08:55 PM
I think you've just insulted every Milan fan on this board. No way Milan is 12-1 to lose against Barca.

Lol. Well, according to the bookmakers they were ..
http://www.betexplorer.com/soccer/international/champions-league-2011-2012/matchdetails.php?matchid=6900767 (http://www.betexplorer.com/soccer/international/champions-league-2011-2012/matchdetails.php?matchid=6900767)

DOMIN8R
04-03-2012, 08:56 PM
From The Star moments ago.

Toronto FC in tough to advance against heavily favoured Santos (http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/mls/torontofc/article/1156264--toronto-fc-in-tough-to-advance-against-heavily-favoured-santos?bn=1)

http://i.thestar.com/images/c1/2d/e20af0124ea5979df7c7a5e77450.jpg

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
04-03-2012, 11:13 PM
1 result away from the CCL FINAL!!!!! WTF....thats how close it is!!!! THE FINAL OF THE CCL....1 RESULT AWAY!! this THREAD should be upside down by NOW!!!

J .
04-03-2012, 11:20 PM
1 result away from the CCL FINAL!!!!! WTF....thats how close it is!!!! THE FINAL OF THE CCL....1 RESULT AWAY!! this THREAD should be upside down by NOW!!!

For the past week Ive allowed a few moments to pretend what it would be like to make it to the final. Why not us? Fuck em, lets do it.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
04-03-2012, 11:29 PM
come on boys!!....Today we become MEN!!

http://i39.tinypic.com/2uppdax.jpg

Furtado91
04-04-2012, 06:08 AM
COME ON YOU REDS!!!!!!!. Today is a huge day and I only hope it continues to get bigger as we make it to the finals. I have faith in this team and I only hope we give it all we got.

ensco
04-04-2012, 06:36 AM
Did Frings make the trip?

Oldtimer
04-04-2012, 06:53 AM
With Frings I think there would be an outside chance, without... I doubt we can keep a clean sheet.

Remember that the Impact were 5-2 in their stadium, Seattle was 6-1. My heart wants to believe that it will happen... things have lined up for TFC amazingly in this run, including strong away play and unusual thunderstorms. Maybe divine Providence will shine on us, my heart tells me. My brain tells me that the odds are 12-1 against, that TFC will lose, although hopefully we won't be embarrassed like Seattle was.

Even if we don't win, I will be extremely proud of our guys. They have pulled of an amazing run, one of which any club could be proud. Those away wins against Dallas and LA are things that legends are made of.

Derko
04-04-2012, 07:09 AM
Even if a win is note in the cards, If TFC play their best and put on a tough show, I will be happy, I am very proud of the boys. LETS GO TFC, give em HELL :scarf: :canada: :drum: :flare:

TFCBarrie
04-04-2012, 07:13 AM
With Frings I think there would be an outside chance, without... I doubt we can keep a clean sheet.

Remember that the Impact were 5-2 in their stadium, Seattle was 6-1. My heart wants to believe that it will happen... things have lined up for TFC amazingly in this run, including strong away play and unusual thunderstorms. Maybe divine Providence will shine on us, my heart tells me. My brain tells me that the odds are 12-1 against, that TFC will lose, although hopefully we won't be embarrassed like Seattle was.

Even if we don't win, I will be extremely proud of our guys. They have pulled of an amazing run, one of which any club could be proud. Those away wins against Dallas and LA are things that legends are made of.

OT, I don't mean this in pointed, angry way, it's just a calm cool question, but what's the point of NOT believing? I just don't get it. Even if you honestly don't believe they won't win, why not get in on the fun of HOPING they win and talking and laughing about it instead of just saying "nope, not going to happen"?

I'm not trying to tell you how to be a fan or anything, but why not just set all doubt aside for the next 16 hours?

Oldtimer
04-04-2012, 07:28 AM
OT, I don't mean this in pointed, angry way, it's just a calm cool question, but what's the point of NOT believing? I just don't get it. Even if you honestly don't believe they won't win, why not get in on the fun of HOPING they win and talking and laughing about it instead of just saying "nope, not going to happen"?

I'm not trying to tell you how to be a fan or anything, but why not just set all doubt aside for the next 16 hours?

That's where the heart comes in.... and my heart will be hoping until the final whistle. I still remember the "miracle in Montreal." :)

nickio
04-04-2012, 07:57 AM
TFC is outclassed. But Discipline and Hard Work will Always beat just class. They have to outwork Santos for all 90'. If they at any point decide to take the foot off the gas- they'll pay for it.

TFCBarrie
04-04-2012, 07:59 AM
That's where the heart comes in.... and my heart will be hoping until the final whistle. I still remember the "miracle in Montreal." :)

That's the spirit! Tonight will be the "Smashing of Santos"

keem-o-sabi
04-04-2012, 08:21 AM
so looking forward to tonight's match. See y'all at Joe's !

Carts
04-04-2012, 08:27 AM
BRING THEM HELL tonight boys...!!! BRING THEM HELL...!!!

ensco
04-04-2012, 08:30 AM
To get the win, we need to thread the needle tonight. Here's what I would do:

Park the bus for the first half. If we're tied at halftime they're going to be frustrated/pissed.
Second half, play the high line with the counter, just the way we did in the game last Wednesday. Hope to convert one.

It really could happen.

Waggy
04-04-2012, 08:31 AM
COME ON YOU REDS!!!!!!! ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQXE1PJIWCc
Dear lord in this battle we go through in life, we ask for chance thats fair. A chance to equal our strife, a chance to do or dare. If we should win, let it be by the code with faith and honour held high. If we should lose, let's stand by the road and cheer as the winners go by. DAY BY DAY, WE GET BETTER AND BETTER. TILL WE CAN'T BE BEAT! WON'T BE BEAT!!

(Sorry, I love that Nebraska pregame chant)

TFC Cityboy
04-04-2012, 08:41 AM
there is absolutely no pressure on TFC for this one. Everyone expects a massive home win, but this club has a history of unexpected away results when the chips are down. Admittedly a sellout stadium in Torreon is a tad different than an empty House of Cheese/Dallas/Home Depot Center but the ball is round.

Do I expect us to win? No. Do we have a chance? Absolutely. Key is keeping it scoreless for SL in the first 20 minutes, take the fans out of it, then build in 10 minute chunks. Conceed early and it could be a massacre. Discipline is key as SL will try all the tricks in the book.

Good luck, boys!

jaxul
04-04-2012, 08:44 AM
Probable lineup:

Santos Laguna (4-4-2):Sanchez; Baloy, Estrada, Hoyos, Olvera; Crosas, Salinas, Ramirez, H. Gomez; Peralta, Suarez.

So they are playing 7 out of 11 players that played against Toluca plus Gomez and the 2 red cards they had to replace. They are definitely not taking it easy and it is good to see they are showing TFC some respect.

Jcm144
04-04-2012, 08:50 AM
I believe you Reds! Lets shock all of CONCACAF tonight!

tfcleeds
04-04-2012, 08:54 AM
BRING THEM HELL tonight boys...!!! BRING THEM HELL...!!! What is it with you and that word?Marge: So, what did you children learn about today?Bart: Hell.Homer: Bart!Bart: Well, that's what we learned about. I sure as hell can't tell you we learned about hell unless I say "hell," can I?Homer: Eh, The lad has a point.Bart: Hell, yes!Marge: Bart!Bart: (Singing) Hell, hell, hell, hell, hell, hell, hell, hell, hell, hell, hell, hell, hell

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
04-04-2012, 08:57 AM
Need i say more!:drum: WIN!!!! WIN!!!!

MnmoPhMkPUw

Carts
04-04-2012, 08:59 AM
there is absolutely no pressure on TFC for this one. Everyone expects a massive home win, but this club has a history of unexpected away results when the chips are down. Admittedly a sellout stadium in Torreon is a tad different than an empty House of Cheese/Dallas/Home Depot Center but the ball is round.

Do I expect us to win? No. Do we have a chance? Absolutely. Key is keeping it scoreless for SL in the first 20 minutes, take the fans out of it, then build in 10 minute chunks. Conceed early and it could be a massacre. Discipline is key as SL will try all the tricks in the book.

Good luck, boys!

I disagree with this completely!!!

We NEED TO SCORE, at least once, probably twice - so ATTACK, ATTACK, ATTACK right off the bat, and if we concede, who cares! Giving one up changes nothing - as a 0-0 draw is a LOSS...

Passive football will be DESTROYED by these guys...

Changing gears is not our strong point, changing gears in that environment, almost impossible...

ATTACK like the HAMMERS OF HELL... Positive, physical, pressure, even dirty football is needed...

Go out and give'em a scare, give'em a hard foul... Let them know WE'RE NOT AFFRAID of your football or your atmosphere & drug war...

ATTACK and PRESS like the HAMMERS OF HELL and show them all their BS chatter means BULLSHIT to us...

They score early, changes nothing to what we need to do...

DON'T BACK DOWN, DON'T BE AFFRAID, DON'T BE PASSIVE - SHOVE THIS MATCH RIGHT DOWN THEIR THROATS...!!!

Waggy
04-04-2012, 09:03 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO4tIrjBDkk&feature=BFa&list=PL3ED43E2B015 0A9A1&lf=BFp

ryan
04-04-2012, 09:05 AM
I agree and I think Winter agrees which makes me happy. He wants to win, he believes we can and will win.

We're going to look Santos in the eye and say "come at us bros" and throw it at them. It's the only way I'd want this game to go. The best defence....is playing in their end!

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
04-04-2012, 09:07 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO4tIrjBDkk&feature=BFa&list=PL3ED43E2B015 0A9A1&lf=BFp

AMEN!!!! LETS GET IT FuCKING DONE!!!

Waggy
04-04-2012, 09:10 AM
Just was browsing the MLS4TFC hashtag on twitter, no link but apparently Word is Herculez Gomez bought 1000 tickets for todays game personally and gave them away to some people who cant usually get to games. I really really want to hate that guy, but after the ICF interview and hearing that it's pretty tough. Props to him.

Our only chance to win this is to come out swinging. Try and land the first big blow, a goal inside 10-15 minutes would be MASSIVE for us. Bunkering at no point should be considered, with their skill if we let them play with the ball all day they'll burry us. We need to gain and keep possession, avoid getting caught on counters, track back to group defend and hope for some lucky bounces and some stellar goaltending. We can do it. WE CAN DO IT. It'll be tough, but if there's anything we've learned in over 5 years of watching this team, it's expect the unexpected.

Edit: link http://aol.sportingnews.com/soccer/story/2012-04-03/toronto-fcs-run-might-be-helping-concacaf-champions-league-catch-on
"The Estadio Corona was nearly sold out as of midday Tuesday (there was a time when CCL games in Mexico were ignored), and Gomez is so eager for local fans to get a taste of international competition that he bought 100 tickets himself and gave them away through Monday Twitter trivia contest. He said fans would have flocked to see David Beckham and the L.A. Galaxy, but that they’re gradually coming around on this Toronto team as well."

Not quite what was said on twitter, still, good for him.

TFCBarrie
04-04-2012, 09:14 AM

We NEED TO SCORE, at least once, probably twice - so ATTACK, ATTACK, ATTACK right off the bat, and if we concede, who cares! Giving one up changed nothing - as a 0-0 draw is a LOSS...

Changing gears is not our strong point, changing gears in that environment, almost impossible...

ATTACK like the HAMMERS OF HELL... Positive, physical, pressure, even dirty football is needed...

Go out and give'em a scare, give'em a hard foul... Let them know WE'RE NOT AFFRAID of your football or your atmosphere & drug war...

ATTACK and PRESS like the HAMMERS OF HELL and show them all their BS chatter means BULLSHIT to us...

DON'T BACK DOWN, DON'T BE AFFRAID, DON'T BE PASSIVE - SHOVE THIS MATCH RIGHT DOWN THEIR THROATS...!!!

Holy. Shit.

Every single TFC supporters needs this passion and attitude.

billyfly
04-04-2012, 09:22 AM
Viva los Gringos!

Yohan
04-04-2012, 09:24 AM
Holy. Shit.

I think Carts has been permanently drunk since last Wed :p

VoxPopuliCosmicum
04-04-2012, 09:28 AM
Good to see all those cops. A very necessary precaution.

Yes. Mexican cops. I'm sure everyone feels much safer now that the Mexican cops are there to offer "protection".

tfcleeds
04-04-2012, 09:30 AM
Had enough coffee this morning, Carts? ;)

Stress
04-04-2012, 09:39 AM
I was thinking about heading down to Joes with a group of 6 or so friends to catch the game. Having never been before, should I be concerned about space and actually getting a spot to watch?

rocker
04-04-2012, 09:39 AM

I've always had this attitude. We can analyze the game to death, we can be negative (if it's a loss!) after the game. But I never understood going in without a positive attitude. I think some people want to protect their fragile psyches, so they want to let themselves down easy from the beginning. If someone thinks TFC is gonna lose, it's easier to take if they do lose. But I find that it's more fun to go into every game expecting a win!!!!

Plus... all we need is a 2-2 tie so it's not out of the real of possibility to advance. Actually, I could see a 3-3 tie as Santos pushes hard and TFC finds openings at the back. Two goals from Johnson and a late goal from Plata to ice it. :)

Carts
04-04-2012, 09:43 AM
Holy. Shit.

THANK YOU... But, this is how I feel about the lads and what we need to do to pull off the win...!!!

I think Carts has been permanently drunk since last Wed

I would have a lot less stress, and a lot less money, if this was true... C'mon LOTTO MAX - I win & me and Yohan get drunk for a week straight...!!!

Had enough coffee this morning, Carts?

One cup... This is purely fueled by passion - and the anger from Wednesday...

I hope the lads read this - and know that we're proud of them - we support them - some of us aren't giving up, aren't saying we're going to get killed - some of us are saying GO F*CKIN' GET'EM AND WIN THIS MOTHER F*CKER..!!!!

Razor
04-04-2012, 09:45 AM
Santos 4 - TFC 1

We won't win this match.

Yohan
04-04-2012, 09:49 AM
I would have a lot less stress, and a lot less money, if this was true... C'mon LOTTO MAX - I win & me and Yohan get drunk for a week straight...!!!

hahahaha! Carts FTW!

nickio
04-04-2012, 09:58 AM
Santos 4 - TFC 1

We won't win this match.

I boo in your general direction. Even if your prognosis is accurate.

kodiakTFC
04-04-2012, 09:59 AM
Santos 4 - TFC 1

We won't win this match.

I raise you 4-0 Santos. However, its my birthday and its my wish this doesn't come true.

TFCBarrie
04-04-2012, 10:01 AM
Santos 4 - TFC 1

We won't win this match.

Who cares? If we lost 17-0 last week at home, I'd still be pumped and hoping we were going to win 18-0 in Torreon. what exactly was your point in posting that? so you can come back here if they do lose and say "told you so, internet". Get real.

Gazza
04-04-2012, 10:03 AM
When Seattle decided to attack, they were destroyed. I know we need to attack, but with a high line, we'll be crushed.

But if we decide to put 10 men behind the ball, i will have a heart attack. Can't wait!

Vivas los gringos!! We don't need no stinking Badgers!

ManUtd4ever
04-04-2012, 10:04 AM

One of my favorite scenes of all time, and very appropriate for tonight's historic match.

Somehow, I can't envision Aron Winter delivering a motivational speech with the same intensity though. g:D

tfc2007
04-04-2012, 10:05 AM
Who cares? If we lost 17-0 last week at home, I'd still be pumped and hoping we were going to win 18-0 in Torreon. what exactly was your point in posting that? so you can come back here if they do lose and say "told you so, internet". Get real.

Relax. As much as I agree with you, each user is still entitled to post their opinion. This is the prematch thread.

Dv23
04-04-2012, 10:11 AM
Just woke up (I know, my life is awesome).

I had a dream we went up 1-0 in this game. I think we scored a second at some point. Not sure about Santos's final tally, though.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
04-04-2012, 10:12 AM
THANK YOU... But, this is how I feel about the lads and what we need to do to pull off the win...!!!

One cup... This is purely fueled by passion - and the anger from Wednesday...

I hope the lads read this - and know that we're proud of them - we support them - some of us aren't giving up, aren't saying we're going to get killed - some of us are saying GO F*CKIN' GET'EM AND WIN THIS MOTHER F*CKER..!!!!

yes sir

Razor
04-04-2012, 10:25 AM

Of course I want us to win but just stating what I think the outcome will be - so piss off.

jaxul
04-04-2012, 10:26 AM
Relax. As much as I agree with you, each user is still entitled to post their opinion. This is the prematch thread.

But ALL fans should be hopeful in the pre-match thread and believe in the team until the final whistle. That is what makes us fans (short for fanatics by the way). Otherwise we are just casual objective observers. We are all biased and that is why TFC will go through to the final!

mdc 77
04-04-2012, 10:27 AM
2-2 final this evening. We score first, Santos Laguna comes back...then finally we score a goal in around 78th minute to tie it and move on to the finals. Kocic and Ashtone Morgan are the heroes of the night.

jaxul
04-04-2012, 10:31 AM
Of course I want us to win but just stating what I think the outcome will be - so piss off.

So according to you we should have saved ourselves the trouble to even go there and play the match. We would lose 3-0 by not going...which is essentially your prediction. Let us send some positive vibes instead of writing the team off.

Couchy81
04-04-2012, 10:34 AM
I honestly think 2-2 is doable, even 3-3, it will be a scrappy game with a lot of chances, we just need to finish them.

ManUtd4ever
04-04-2012, 10:40 AM
I hope tonight is reminiscent of the match in Honduras a couple of years ago against Motagua. TFC gutted out a 2-2 draw to advance that night in a hostile environment with questionable officiating.

J .
04-04-2012, 10:48 AM
First goal will win :) and its going to be Soolsma!!!!

TFCBarrie
04-04-2012, 11:04 AM

Absolutely, each user can post whatever they want, my post may have sounded overly aggressive, but I'm not a negative person and I won't outwardly bash other users.. There's just so much negativity on these boards, I just think we, as supporters, should present more of a positive vibe, ESPECIALLY on game day's, let's get pumped for this and enjoy. We're in Canadian no-man's land right now, making history, we're 1 result away from a place only 1 other MLS team has ever been.

Are we underdogs? yes! Should they beat us on paper? Probably! Do I care? not in any way.

Roogsy
04-04-2012, 11:07 AM

Absolutely. This run has been very impressive and something to be proud of, for the entire organization.

Roogsy
04-04-2012, 11:10 AM
One of my favorite scenes of all time, and very appropriate for tonight's historic match.

Somehow, I can't envision Aron Winter delivering a motivational speech with the same intensity though. g:D

Can we fit the word "unfortunate" in there somewhere? LOL!

Roogsy
04-04-2012, 11:12 AM
Yes. Mexican cops. I'm sure everyone feels much safer now that the Mexican cops are there to offer "protection".

:lol:

I thought the same thing when I saw the pic.

Oldtimer

Exactly. Nothing in the board rules requires all users to be cheerleaders. If there were, this board would be due for a major housecleaning.

Whoop
'Tis a pity.

Oldtimer
04-04-2012, 11:13 AM

Exactly. Nothing in the board rules requires all users to be cheerleaders. If there were, this board would be due for a major housecleaning. :)

Carts
04-04-2012, 11:15 AM
Exactly. Nothing in the board rules requires all users to be cheerleaders. If there were, this board would be due for a major housecleaning. :)

Active users would drop 99.6%... g:D

Yohan
04-04-2012, 11:15 AM
Can we fit the word "unfortunate" in there somewhere? LOL!

anyone know if Frings is on this trip? I'd imagine he could deliver a better motivation speech than Winter or JDG!

Roogsy
04-04-2012, 11:16 AM
Holy. Shit.

We'd need to drink as much as Carts.

Roogsy
04-04-2012, 11:17 AM
'Tis a pity.

Leave it to Roogsy to get the quote wrong.

Yes...pity. Can someone fit pity into a motivating speech? LOL!

Carts
04-04-2012, 11:19 AM
We'd need to drink as much as Carts.

It sure would help the economy! g:D

Roogsy
04-04-2012, 11:23 AM
anyone know if Frings is on this trip? I'd imagine he could deliver a better motivation speech than Winter or JDG!

I'd imagine we'd hear "Scheiße" a lot...

Walms
04-04-2012, 11:25 AM
1 result away from the ccl final!!!!! Wtf....thats how close it is!!!! The final of the ccl....1 result away!! This thread should be upside down by now!!!

lets do it boys

kcdolish
04-04-2012, 12:10 PM
We need to be careful here. Do you know they can squeeze honey from maple leaves?

http://www.clubsantoslaguna.com.mx/santos_toronto_02.html (http://www.clubsantoslaguna.com.mx/santos_toronto_02.html)

nickio
04-04-2012, 12:11 PM
GOOGLE TRANSLATE FROM SANTOS LAGUNA SITE:

After recreational activities carried out this morning in the premises of the Holy Land Model, Panama's Felipe Baloy said:

We are thinking about winning, Toronto is not an easy opponent, Santos is showing that it is for great things, whether playing at home or visitor. We have the opportunity to play the return match in Torreon and we will do things the right way with our audience will try to advance to the Final

Is there confidence to overcome this tie?

The total trust is the team we have, by group, by the performance we've had. Tomorrow we will try to show, to make a great game and moving on to the Final, we play it and win it.

Avoid concieding the first goal?

Certainly, keeping the back are zero in the final, the goalless draw gives us the pass, the idea is to be solid behind. Yet the team wants to win, our important players can score at any time.

[Is it] Essential to keep a cool head and not fall into provocations?

That will be important, ending eleven, not to make any devolution or we expel any player. We must dedicate ourselves to play, to do our thing, to think about winning the game.

For his part, Rodolfo Salinas lagoon stressed the importance of play in? Alien House of Pain?:

We have to build that we are at home with our fans in our stadium. We will facilitate the whole game. There [we] could not have as much possession as the court was too small, here will be a nice football game to generate as we have been doing in the tournament and the Champions League?

[B]What will be the key to getting the ticket to the Final?

Possession of the ball, playing the ball is our strength, they are much more complicated when an opponent starts playing them the ball.

Focused on advancing to the final analysis?

Yes, this team can play mini-leagues, in all tournaments try to reach the final and be champions in both tournaments we play this team aspires to much.

The match between Santos Laguna and Toronto FC, corresponding to the Semifinal Round of the Champions League CONCACAF will be played on Wednesday April 4 at about 19:00 at Estadio Corona.

Waggy
04-04-2012, 12:11 PM

Leave it to Roogsy to get the quote wrong.

Yes...pity. Can someone fit pity into a motivating speech? LOL!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQT830mo8Mc

As close as it gets

Couchy81
04-04-2012, 12:12 PM
We need to be careful here. Do you know they can squeeze honey from maple leaves?

http://www.clubsantoslaguna.com.mx/santos_toronto_02.html (http://www.clubsantoslaguna.com.mx/santos_toronto_02.html)

That's no maple leaf it's a Mexican Honey Leaf

Roogsy
04-04-2012, 12:23 PM

Canada...you're doing it wrong.

Pookie
04-04-2012, 12:31 PM
Just imagine if the feeling in our bellies as we anticipate kick off tonight was something that came along much more regularly.

Sort of like gas.

Blakfish
04-04-2012, 12:42 PM

We NEED TO SCORE, at least once, probably twice - so ATTACK, ATTACK, ATTACK right off the bat, and if we concede, who cares! Giving one up changes nothing - as a 0-0 draw is a LOSS...

Couldn't have said it better.

Furtado91
04-04-2012, 12:50 PM
have not been this excited for a game probably since the first time i saw Porto face benfica. This is going to be a good game (hopefully) and I do believe anything is possible in this game. I would love to see Toronto FC come in and win, and already its shown us you do not always need the big name players or budget to get a quality team and get this far in a tournament.

COME ON YOUR REDS!!!!!!!. you can do this. as long as they put forth 100% of their efforts im happy.

J .
04-04-2012, 01:00 PM
6 hrs until... Dare to dream

ryan
04-04-2012, 01:03 PM
Despite the long odds and such, it's quite stunning to really realize the magnitude of our match tonight. CCL might be still in it's infancy, but it's still extremely massive to think of where we are and what we can accomplish tonight.

Just picture what BMO would be like for the (assuming) 1st leg of the CCL final. I want that soooooo bad.

Furtado91
04-04-2012, 01:07 PM
Despite the long odds and such, it's quite stunning to really realize the magnitude of our match tonight. CCL might be still in it's infancy, but it's still extremely massive to think of where we are and what we can accomplish tonight.

Just picture what BMO would be like for the (assuming) 1st leg of the CCL final. I want that soooooo bad.

I thought we would be away for the 1st leg of the finals if we make it? I could have sworn i read an article on TFC's website stating that if we won we would be facing either pumas or Monterrey away first. I could be wrong but i thought i read that.

colman1860
04-04-2012, 01:09 PM

If we get to the final, 2nd leg is at BMO.

joeyjones
04-04-2012, 01:13 PM
we can do this!!!!!

__wowza
04-04-2012, 01:19 PM

that sound you just heard was my ejacule hitting the sun.

Yohan
04-04-2012, 01:21 PM
that sound you just heard was my ejacule hitting the sun.

do you have problem with premature ejaculation? let's jizz after this game when the Reds win! ;)

Yohan
04-04-2012, 01:26 PM
2011/12 CONCACAF Champions League
Semifinals – Second Leg April 4, 2012

Santos
In Semifinal, First Leg 1-1 draw, Herculez Gomez (30’) scored his 4th goal in 3 CCL games.
Advanced to second-ever appearance in CCL semifinals thanks to a 6-1 quarterfinal, second-leg rout of the Seattle Sounders to win the series 7-3 on aggregate. U.S. international Herculez Gomez scored 3 goals over the two games.
• Group Stage record: 4 wins, 1 draw, 1 loss (16 GF, 6 GA)...1st Place, Group B.
• All-Time CCL record: 17 wins, 4 draws, 10 losses (76 GF, 44 GA).
• All-Time CCL home record: 14 wins, 0 draws, 1 loss (54 GF, 14 GA)...only loss came in the 2010/11 quarterfinals v Cruz Azul (1-3) on March 1, 2011.
• Scored 3 or more goals in 11 of 15 all-time CCL home games, including 14 in last 3 outings.
• Conceded 1 goal or less in 11 of 15 all-time CCL home games...allowed 1 goal in last 3 CCL home games.
• Lost to Mexico’s Atlante in 2008/09 semifinals 4-3 on aggregate (home: 2-1 win; away: 1-3 loss)...Carlos Darwin Quintero scored both goals in victory.
• 2011/12 CCL scorers: Oribe Peralta, Christian Suarez (5 goals each); Herculez Gomez, Carlos Darwin Quintero (4 goals each); Carlos Ochoa (3); Jose Maria Cardenas, Juan Carlos Enriquez, Jesus Escoboza, Aaron Galindo, Daniel Ludueña, Juan Pablo Rodriguez, own-goal (1 goal each).

Toronto FC
Miguel Aceval (37’) scored his 1st CCL goal in Semifinal, First Leg draw (1-1).
Became 1st team from Canada to advance to CCL semifinals with 4-3 aggregate triumph over the LA Galaxy in the quarterfinals. Jamaican international Ryan Johnson scored in each leg.
• Group Stage record: 3 wins, 1 draw, 2 losses (7 GF, 7 GA)...2nd Place, Group C.
• All-Time CCL record: 9 wins, 7 draws, 5 losses (24 GF, 23 GA).
• All-Time CCL away record: 4 wins, 3 draws, 3 losses (12 GF, 14 GA).
• Unbeaten in 6-consecutive CCL games...3 wins, 3 draws, 0 losses (10 GF, 5 GA).
• Won 4 of last 5 CCL away games...4 wins, 0 draws, 1 loss...scored 2 or more goals in each win.
• 9 of last 12 goals scored in the CCL have come in the 1st half...4 of Ryan Johnson’s 5 CCL goals have been scored in the 1st half.
• 1 win, 3 draws, 1 loss in 5 CCL games v Mexican opposition.
• 2011/12 CCL scorers: Ryan Johnson (5 goals); Joao Plata (4 goals); Danny Koevermans (2); Miguel Aceval, Julian De Guzman, Peri Marosevic, Luis Silva, Nick Soolsma (1 goal each).

Chevy
04-04-2012, 01:27 PM
Exactly. F**k fragile psyches. Support your club!

I think we will lose tonight, but I BELIEVE we will win.

Redcoe15
04-04-2012, 01:28 PM
just do it, reds!!!!!

Blakfish
04-04-2012, 01:31 PM
Have they released the date(s) the final will be played on?
Also I much prefer a one-legged tie for a final at a pre-determined stadium like the UEFA Champion's League, but I guess it'd be difficult as some fans over here are a little less likely to travel to a neutral stadium for the game.

ryan
04-04-2012, 01:32 PM

Oh dear....I just...I...

Wow.

ryan
04-04-2012, 01:33 PM
do you have problem with premature ejaculation? let's jizz after this game when the Reds win! ;)

Collectively our jizz will blot out the sun.

Roogsy
04-04-2012, 01:35 PM
I am uncomfortable with the level of orgasming that is occurring right now considering from what I can tell, there are no females in this thread at the moment. :lol:

ryan
04-04-2012, 01:35 PM
Have they released the date(s) the final will be played on?
Also I much prefer a one-legged tie for a final at a pre-determined stadium like the UEFA Champion's League, but I guess it'd be difficult as some fans over here are a little less likely to travel to a neutral stadium for the game.

Yep. Next week would be off, following two weeks would be both legs. Tue-Thu could be the dates, probably Wednesdays tho.

I think everyone would prefer the one leg, but because of your point and the infancy of the competition, the distances between us all, it's not quite ready for that yet.

harrietgate
04-04-2012, 01:42 PM
Reading some of these posts and watching the clip of chaos at the stadium, I am more than a bit concerned for our lads. It is not helping that I just watched "The Two Escobars".

Roogsy
04-04-2012, 01:44 PM
Reading some of these posts and watching the clip of chaos at the stadium, I am more than a bit concerned for our lads. It is not helping that I just watched "The Two Escobars".

LOL!

I have that on DVD...

Pookie
04-04-2012, 01:46 PM
I am uncomfortable with the level of orgasming that is occurring right now considering from what I can tell, there are no females in this thread at the moment. :lol:

... that and most folks should be at work right now. I feel bad for the janitorial staff later tonight.

Carts
04-04-2012, 01:50 PM
You know what we're bringing tonight...

The HAMMERS OF HELL...!!!!

Dv23
04-04-2012, 01:51 PM
My level of excitement for this game is TOO DAMN HIGHhttp://i.iflip.im/t/too-damn-high.jpg

RealG-TFC
04-04-2012, 01:53 PM
different teams and the stakes perhaps not as high:

POX1rFeVzMw

This would certainly be a worst case scenario.

Oh and Cuauhtemoc was real douche in that video.

Roogsy
04-04-2012, 02:05 PM
Blanco was a real douche period. Before, during and well after that video. In life in general I would say.

tfcleeds
04-04-2012, 02:18 PM
Hey, even if we do go out tonight, look on the bright side. At least we don't have to live in Torreon.