PDA

View Full Version : Pregame/In Game: 31 Mar Columbus at Toronto

Yohan
03-29-2012, 10:04 AM
While we are still excited about the Santos game, we still have those sods from Columbus coming up for a visit.

Columbus is not doing particularly well, and we will see just how much squad rotation Winter does in prep for next Wed's 2nd leg match vs Santos. And Columbus always seems to be able to nick a goal for a draw at BMO Field

dmacd
03-29-2012, 10:18 AM
I've heard references to a Ticket Trader thread on this board before, but don't know how to find it. So...my apologies for a somewhat off topic post. I can't use my Season Tickets for the Columbus game - a pair in Section 132, row 1 - if anyone wants to take them. Would be happy to sell at cost, which I believe is $32/seat. If you've never sat in the North End, give it a try - I love personally love the extra height vs. the south-end.

Send me a message if you want them. Can send via email from the Account Manager and will go on faith that whoever takes them will e-transfer the cash afterwards.

ensco
03-29-2012, 10:27 AM
We're all in for CCL, and we're shorthanded.

Play kids, Koevs, and the reserves. Bring in 2-3 deserving Academy kids.

The weather forecast is for cold and rainy conditions again.

Everyone who went 90 minutes last night needs rest! and will be vulnerable to injury. They all must sit for most of Saturday. If the game is close late, guys like RJ and Soolsma can sub in.

If we lose to Columbus, so be it, we understand.

ryan
03-29-2012, 11:10 AM
I echo those thoughts. You cannot sacrifice anything that's needed for Wednesday.

Perhaps Cann can get into this match and get his legs under him a bit.

T-boy
03-29-2012, 11:13 AM
I'd love to see Avila get a run out in the one, seeing as he can't play in the CCL.

Brooker
03-29-2012, 11:25 AM
Onto Columbus? Why do we have to play these commoners?

TFCBarrie
03-29-2012, 02:08 PM

Everyone who went 90 minutes last night needs rest! and will be vulnerable to injury. They all must sit for most of Saturday. If the game is close late, guys like RJ and Soolsma can sub in.

This. Please.

T-boy
03-29-2012, 02:12 PM

I SO don't agree with your last line! I know we all want to beat these Mexican's, but if we start the season off 0-3 in the league, its going to be an uphill battle. We need to be beating team like Columbus at home if we want any chance of our first playoffs.

dantdot
03-29-2012, 02:46 PM
Trillium Cup > CCL.

/trollololo

Carts
03-29-2012, 03:04 PM
All hands OFF DECK...

Kocic, Eckersley, JDG, Aceval, Johnson, Plata, Soolsma, Harden etc etc etc - can sit warmly in the press box and focus on Santos...

If you're in Winter's plans for Wednesday - YOU'RE NOT TO PLAY ON SATURDAY!

We're one road win or high-tie from the Champions League Final. Massive underdogs yes - but we need to give our boys every advantage they can get. If that's a week of rest - give it to them...

Koevermans, and the lads from the academy can go out there and bust their asses for a result while, our CCL lineup focuses on Santos...

ryan
03-29-2012, 03:25 PM
Kocic
Emory-Cann-Henry-Maund
Cordon-Avila-Stinson
Burgos-Koevermans-Makubuya

That'll do!

ensco
03-29-2012, 03:28 PM
^You forgot Silva.

Canary10
03-29-2012, 03:31 PM
^ Aren't a bunch of those guys still playing for Canada's Olympic qualifying team?

Pinkie
03-29-2012, 03:34 PM

pretty much this. i don't want to be able to recognize half of the players because they're randoms. play every cup tied player we have (3 right?). heck even play rowe in net.

DavydMT
03-29-2012, 03:39 PM
:o
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/299424_10150295796667334_508122333_8251890_5252317 55_n.jpg

ryan
03-29-2012, 03:39 PM
I was really just joking and fired off 11 guys who won't play in next week's game.. (well other than inserting the emergency MLS keeper we have cause I dont know his name)

T-boy
03-29-2012, 04:17 PM
Wow you guys are putting all the stress on one game next Wednesday eh?

I still personally think that getting to the play offs should be our number one priority this season. We need to WIN this game, not just go along for the ride and give up a home victory.

spark
03-29-2012, 04:35 PM
^ Aren't a bunch of those guys still playing for Canada's Olympic qualifying team?

Yeah - Stinson and Henry will be KC Saturday afternoon playing against those cheatin' Mexicans!!!

mowe
03-29-2012, 04:40 PM
This is a must-win. We need to beat teams like these at home to make the playoffs. But rest is important too, Winter has some tough decisions to make, especially with a depleted roster. He's shown in the past he's capable of good squad rotation, so I'm confident he'll make the right moves.

Kocic
Maund - Harden - Emory - Morgan
JDG - Dunfield
Burgos - Avila - Lambe
Koevermans

Right now there's no DM depth, who could step in for this game?

Greatest Ripoff
03-29-2012, 04:47 PM
Wow you guys are putting all the stress on one game next Wednesday eh?

I still personally think that getting to the play offs should be our number one priority this season. We need to WIN this game, not just go along for the ride and give up a home victory.

To me, playing the in the CCL is more important than playing in the MLS playoffs. I don't even think the MLS playoffs are the most important thing that can be won in the MLS, I feel the Supporters Shield is even bigger. But I am a fan of the CCL and Voyageurs Cups over both of them. The CCL is just a much more exciting competition in my eyes. I like playing the best teams in our region. Some of my best experience at BMO have been CCL matches. Last night was a simply amazing experience. Also, the Motagua and Cruz Azul ties are others that stick out.

Not asking to be a dick, but what is it about the MLS playoffs that gives it more of an importance to you?

Code Red
03-29-2012, 04:50 PM
As important as it is for us not to sit on 0 or 1 point by the end of Saturday's mach, Wednesday night's match should be 100% priority. Chances are we won't anytime soon get an opportunity like this (being in the semi-finals of CCL that is) therefore we need to give it all we got and if that includes resting players against the Piss Stains, so be it.

Yohan
03-29-2012, 04:59 PM
To me, playing the in the CCL is more important than playing in the MLS playoffs. I don't even think the MLS playoffs are the most important thing that can be won in the MLS, I feel the Supporters Shield is even bigger. But I am a fan of the CCL and Voyageurs Cups over both of them. The CCL is just a much more exciting competition in my eyes. I like playing the best teams in our region. Some of my best experience at BMO have been CCL matches. Last night was a simply amazing experience. Also, the Motagua and Cruz Azul ties are others that stick out.

Not asking to be a dick, but what is it about the MLS playoffs that gives it more of an importance to you?
Whether we like it or not, success in MLS is judged by how many MLS Cups you win. To win MLS Cup, you need to get to the playoffs first

Luanda
03-29-2012, 06:32 PM
Kocic
Emory-Cann-Henry-Maund
Cordon-Avila-Stinson
Burgos-Koevermans-Makubuya

That'll do!

Get Kocic out of there because of the risk of injury.
Use Silva instead of Stinson who will be in KC.
Henry would have to be replaced by someone from the Academy.

Oldtimer
03-29-2012, 07:03 PM
You can't play the current academy kids in MLS matches unless you sign them to the first team. The Voyageurs Cup and the CCL have different rules, you can play the academy kids in them.

J .
03-29-2012, 07:24 PM
Got to start picking up these points at home, dropping three vs SJ was horrible, doing the same vs Columbus are the type of points that cost us in 2009. Its wholly unacceptable to drop these vital points at home. Being a -5 goal differential two games in says a lot about the quality of effort put out by the Reds as well. Need more than just bodies at the stadium from the lads, they need to show up this weekend. Need DK to step it up. He has open up a clinic in front of goal Saturday.

2-1 TFC. DK gets two.

Carts
03-29-2012, 08:41 PM
Whether we like it or not, success in MLS is judged by how many MLS Cups you win. To win MLS Cup, you need to get to the playoffs first

I'd take a trip to the CCL Final over a trip to the MLS Cup final any day, every day...

Auzzy
03-29-2012, 09:11 PM
I wish they would play the game vs. Columbus similar to the Mickey Mouse final vs. Vancouver: lots subs & scrubs, plus Koevermans, Avila, Emory, etc. That Vancouver game was one of the most entertaining I've seen from TFC.

However, undoubtedly we will see at least a couple of guys out there on Saturday, that really shouldn't be there. As a result there will be some injuries in the Saturday game, or fatigue in the following game in Torreon. It's kinda a tradition for TFC...

Luanda
03-29-2012, 09:20 PM
You can't play the current academy kids in MLS matches unless you sign them to the first team. The Voyageurs Cup and the CCL have different rules, you can play the academy kids in them.

Then Cordon

ManUtd4ever
03-29-2012, 09:37 PM
Due to the circumstances regarding the CCL status of several players, Winter should still be able to field a quality starting lineup against Columbus while preserving most of the projected starters for the CCL next Wednesday. I would go with this...

---------------Kocic----------------

Henry----Maund----Cann----Emory

---------Stinson----Burgos--------

Avila-----------Silva----------Lambe

------------Koevermans------------

TFCwestcan
03-29-2012, 09:49 PM
Due to the circumstances regarding the CCL status of several players, Winter should still be able to field a quality starting lineup against Columbus while preserving most of the projected starters for the CCL next Wednesday. I would go with this...

---------------Kocic----------------

Henry----Maund----Cann----Emory

---------Stinson----Burgos--------

Avila-----------Silva----------Lambe

------------Koevermans------------

Except for Stinson and Henry who are with the U23s. I would like a look at Burgos and Amory. Avila will be itching to get on. Aceval will need to be saved. Shame about Frei's injury as Kocic will have to shoulder the burden. As important as the CCL is we still need to get points on Saturday, if we put in anything near the same effort that we did on Wednesday's game I like our chances against Columbus.

ManUtd4ever
03-29-2012, 10:00 PM
I thought I heard Winter mention in the post game press conference that Stinson and Henry would be back, but he could have been referring to the CCL match.

In any case, I hope Winter prioritizes the matches accordingly.

jloome
03-30-2012, 12:39 AM
I think we have to rest the starters for Wednesday if possible and examine our depth.

--------------Kocic-------------------
Stinson--Maund----Cann----Emory

---------Burgos----Silva------------
--------------Avila----------------

Makubya-----Koevermans----Plata

My worry with this is that Silva isn't up to playing two ways. His defence was knocked by college scouts.

Walms
03-30-2012, 08:35 AM
I completely agree with prioritizing Wensdays CCL match and resting players like Ryan, Aston, JDG, Dunfield (with Frings out we need him defensively) Acavel, Plata, Soolsma, ect......

That being said, we can't throw away anything on Saturday! Our cup-tied/suspended players har to play the full 90, Koves, Eric & Emory. Also lamb could use some minutes and I'd like to see Cordon playing. Keep Milos in net because we're going to need him and play Cann if he is up to it.

Reds need a result on Saturday but if we loss to Crew and somehow win on Wensday than that's all I could ask for

Go TFC!!

Miko
03-30-2012, 09:23 AM
So I see that Ben Hoelzel from the Crew Union took a shot at us in The Guardian today calling TFC a "disgraceful northern club".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/mar/30/mls-le-toux-philadelphia-union-vancouver?#post-area

Glad to see their not still bitter down there.

KGH
03-30-2012, 09:29 AM
Start with this:

Ecks-----Henry----Aceval----Emory

---------Stinson----Silva-----------

Soolsma-----Koevermans----Plata

1) Aceval needs more time playing to get the mls feel
2) Henry for Maund
3) Ecks can go for days
4) Soolsma looks like he needed to work on some fitness
5) Cann won't be ready for a full 90 his 1st day back

After 60 make the following changes:

Stinson-----Henry----Cann----Emory

---------Cordon----Silva-----------

Lambe-----Koevermans----Plata

pekduck
03-30-2012, 09:30 AM
Thread-jacking!

Montreal away tickets ready for pick up (including first batch and second batch) at Joe's pre game.

See member only thread below. Designated hotel also extended us a few more rooms at $99/night rate if we call in today.
http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?30666-MTL-April-7th-Ticketing-Thread&p=1466173#post1466173

Now back to your regular programming.

Oldtimer
03-30-2012, 09:33 AM
So I see that Ben Hoelzel from the Crew Union took a shot at us in The Guardian today calling TFC a "disgraceful northern club".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/mar/30/mls-le-toux-philadelphia-union-vancouver?#post-area

Glad to see their not still bitter down there.

Gotta love the KKKrew fans. Xenophobic to the end. I wouldn't even waste much time thinking about their them if their fans and f.o. weren't such a nasty bunch.

T-boy
03-30-2012, 10:32 AM

I typed a long answer but then explorer crashed, GRR.

But in short, I'd much prefer a seasonal long success rather than the short term high of getting to the CCL final. I would be embarrassed if TFC didn't get into the playoffs in 6 years of its existence. Getting to the playoffs should be number one priority for TFC this season.

ManUtd4ever
03-30-2012, 10:37 AM
There are 32 games left in the MLS season in which TFC can qualify for the post season.

There is one game left in the CCL in which TFC can qualify for the Champions League Final.

That is all.

T-boy
03-30-2012, 10:42 AM
There are 32 games left in the MLS season in which TFC can qualify for the post season.

There is one game left in the CCL in which TFC can qualify for the Champions League Final.

That is all.

does that mean we should give up on the game tomorrow tho? No, definitely not. We need to be playing the BEST possible 11 we can EVERY week, not on selective one games where we are the underdogs. I'd prefer to put the effort into the games where we CAN win, not the ones where we mostly likely can't! Going into April with zero points in the league would be a complete disaster!

I'd take a win tomorrow over a win Wednesday anyday! I may be alone in that, but I'd always prioritise the league over the CCL.

TFC07
03-30-2012, 10:49 AM
CCL semi-final game > MLS league game

I can't believe there some people here think MLS league game (3rd game of season) is more important than CCL semi-final game. :facepalm:

Rest first team and start our "R.A.T" team that played against Vancouver in last preseason game.

Chubbs
03-30-2012, 10:57 AM
Seriosuly, send out the scrubs, let some guys who wouldnt normally play get some experience and confidence under their belt and rest absolutely everyone possible who might be in Wednesdays gameplan.

Of course I'd like to see a win, but this is way less important than a CCL semi

Super
03-30-2012, 11:28 AM
Seriosuly, send out the scrubs, let some guys who wouldnt normally play get some experience and confidence under their belt and rest absolutely everyone possible who might be in Wednesdays gameplan.

Of course I'd like to see a win, but this is way less important than a CCL semi

No doubt Wednesday is the more important game of the two, but we also do not want to start the MLS season with 3 defeats - 2 of them at home. Especially knowing our away record (heck, away records in the MLS are generally pretty poor, period). We need to win the game tomorrow to at least have something to fall back on if Wednesday is a bust.

__wowza
03-30-2012, 11:34 AM
Gotta love the KKKrew fans. Xenophobic to the end. I wouldn't even waste much time thinking about their them if their fans and f.o. weren't such a nasty bunch.

"The Crew have dominated the disgraceful northern club since its inception. It took five years for the Canadians to get their first victory over the Crew, and I suspect it will take at least that long to get their second. The Crew will begin their return to Trillium Cup glory with an easy victory."

trillium.. cup.. glory..? seriously, have they been considering the trillium cup glorious all these years?

http://dailyfacepalm.chillpages.com/stroage-pit/uploads/2010/08/1272303749024.png

T-boy
03-30-2012, 11:36 AM
No doubt Wednesday is the more important game of the two, but we also do not want to start the MLS season with 3 defeats - 2 of them at home. Especially knowing our away record (heck, away records in the MLS are generally pretty poor, period). We need to win the game tomorrow to at least have something to fall back on if Wednesday is a bust.

EXACTLY agreed!

I'm NOT saying that the Columbus game is "more important" than the CCL game. But we NEED to be winning our home league games if we want overall success this season. Games like Columbus at home should be our banker games, games that we should be winning, and especially beating our conference opponents at home.

Lose tomorrow, and it will be an uphill battle through the season to catch up, starting stone cold last in our first month of the league.

Also, if professional players can't play two games in a week, then its pretty pathetic and they all need to be fired! TFC needs to play their best team tomorrow, and "resting them for Wednesday" should never be an issue with pro players. We NEED to win tomorrow get get our season off to a start, equally as much as we WANT to win Wednesday night.

Luanda
03-30-2012, 11:40 AM
Start with this:

Ecks-----Henry----Aceval----Emory

---------Stinson----Silva-----------

1) Aceval needs more time playing to get the mls feel
2) Henry for Maund
3) Ecks can go for days
4) Soolsma looks like he needed to work on some fitness
5) Cann won't be ready for a full 90 his 1st day back

Stinson-----Henry----Cann----Emory

Stinson and Henry will be in KC, hence unavailable.

And Aceval is wearing a brace!

Red Rat
03-30-2012, 11:51 AM
sometimes I just shit my pants laughing

Joe Kool
03-30-2012, 11:56 AM
sometimes I just shit my pants laughing

Eww! Sounds gross. My laughing would end pretty fast if it were me.

pdogg
03-30-2012, 11:58 AM
Also, if professional players can't play two games in a week, then its pretty pathetic and they all need to be fired! TFC needs to play their best team tomorrow, and "resting them for Wednesday" should never be an issue with pro players. We NEED to win tomorrow get get our season off to a start, equally as much as we WANT to win Wednesday night.

They are playing far more than just two games in a week. From the SJ game until the Montreal game they will have played 5 games in 15 days + travel + training. Asking the same 11 to go out and put forth a full effort, over that span is a bit much.

T-boy
03-30-2012, 12:15 PM
They are playing far more than just two games in a week. From the SJ game until the Montreal game they will have played 5 games in 15 days + travel + training. Asking the same 11 to go out and put forth a full effort, over that span is a bit much.

The point I'm making is that some people on this forum seem to think that its ALL about the CCL game, and we should just not care about the Columbas game! I'm saying we should give the same importance to both games, so we really need to play the best 11 we can.

Secondly, if I'm earning 1.9 million per season, as JDG is, I would totally expect to be playing all 5 games in that 15 day period. If he can't do that, then there is something very wrong with the world! There are professional athletes, and they should be able to play 5 games in 15 days, easily! Plus, its VERY early in the season right now, players should be 100% fit and raring to go. If I was one of these players, and I was told that I was to be dropped "so I could rest" for a game, I would throw my toys out of the pram Tevez style!

Yohan
03-30-2012, 12:31 PM
The point I'm making is that some people on this forum seem to think that its ALL about the CCL game, and we should just not care about the Columbas game! I'm saying we should give the same importance to both games, so we really need to play the best 11 we can.

Secondly, if I'm earning 1.9 million per season, as JDG is, I would totally expect to be playing all 5 games in that 15 day period. If he can't do that, then there is something very wrong with the world! There are professional athletes, and they should be able to play 5 games in 15 days, easily! Plus, its VERY early in the season right now, players should be 100% fit and raring to go. If I was one of these players, and I was told that I was to be dropped "so I could rest" for a game, I would throw my toys out of the pram Tevez style!

just because you make more money, it doesn't mean your personal fitness is much higher

Detroit_TFC
03-30-2012, 12:38 PM
I would really like to see some Silva action, preferably a Silva to Plata link up. I'd like to see a lot more emphasis on developing that partnership.

Detroit_TFC
03-30-2012, 12:55 PM
Here's what I'd like to see

Kocic
Ecks - Harden - Emory
Cordon
Avila - Silva
Burgos
Lambe-Koevermans-Plata

What we will see:

Kocic
Ecks-Harden-Maund-Emory
Dunfield-JDG-Avila
Soolsma-Koevermans-Plata

Yohan
03-30-2012, 12:57 PM
without a proper DM, TFC is going to get ripped open by Columbus, esp that Moronsevic guy

T-boy
03-30-2012, 01:27 PM
just because you make more money, it doesn't mean your personal fitness is much higher

If players aren't fit this early in the season, then we are in for a shocking year!

ensco
03-30-2012, 01:30 PM
I think some people are confusing resource management questions with some sort of surrender complex.

To be clear: schedule congestion and international absences are a fact of life for us.

We're going to need the bench and reserve players to make meaningful contributions if we're going to make the playoffs.

May as well start tomorrow.

KGH
03-30-2012, 02:09 PM
Stinson and Henry will be in KC, hence unavailable.

And Aceval is wearing a brace!

Crap. Thougth they were back and didn't realize Aceval was out.

Start with this:

Maund-----Harden----Ecks----Emory

---------Dunfield----Silva-----------

Maund-----Ecks----Cann----Emory

Luanda
03-30-2012, 02:40 PM
I think some people are confusing resource management questions with some sort of surrender complex.

To be clear: schedule congestion and international absences are a fact of life for us.

We're going to need the bench and reserve players to make meaningful contributions if we're going to make the playoffs.

May as well start tomorrow.

Exactly, with Aceval wearing a brace, you can not expose him tomorrow. I would say the same for Kocic because should he go down, who can replace him on Wednesday?

And even people on the "2nd team" will need to be managed carefully. Will anyone expect Cann to go 90 - I do not think so.

Yohan
03-30-2012, 02:47 PM
TTC and Parking advisory for this Sat's game

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2012/03/saturday-transit-parking-advisory

Hugh Jazz
03-30-2012, 02:53 PM
I'd like to see a strong team fielded this weekend to get this season going in the right direction. I'm sure some players will be tired after tomorrow and Wednesday's games but the following weekend against Montreal there's a lot of fresh bodies that can start (Koeverman, Cann, Avila, Stinson, Henry) and the schedule gets less congested so everyone will be able to recover.

RealG-TFC
03-30-2012, 02:54 PM
Here's what I'd like to see

Kocic
Ecks - Harden - Emory
Cordon
Avila - Silva
Burgos
Lambe-Koevermans-Plata

I really wonder how the Avila, Silva and Burgos link up would be like. I'd like to see this too.

Yohan
03-30-2012, 02:54 PM
-----------Kocic
Maund-Eckersley-Harden-Emory
------------Dunfield
--------Silva------Avila
-Lambe---Koevermans-Plata

Subs
Rowe
Morgan
Harden
Burgos
Soolsma
Johnson

More offensive lineup than normal with mostly reserves. I put in first team guys with more fitness that looks like they can handle more matches. Ecks to play more sweeper role and use his pace to cut down any squirters that gets behind the defensive line (which will be more exposed using one DM, and expect Silva or Avila to play more deeper) Go balls to the wall and run those Columbus clowns out of town.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-30-2012, 03:33 PM
I really wonder how the Avila, Silva and Burgos link up would be like. I'd like to see this too.
I'd expect Burgos and Avila to play the cm/dm roles with Silva up top Burgos played dm in Florida

Detroit_TFC
03-30-2012, 03:53 PM
I was thinking Burgos at the point of the diamond midfield solely because I'm not sure of his speed. Avila and Silva would be doing the bulk of the work on either side.

giggz
03-30-2012, 04:34 PM
Are the members going to be meeting up at a set destination before the game on march 31st?? And when the rpb members do meet for a little pep rally before where do they usually do it

Fort York Redcoat
03-30-2012, 05:19 PM
^Pregame is at Shoeless Joes King and Dufferin.

AlanO
03-30-2012, 05:45 PM
Squad rotation would be great, but some serious lack of depth right now, especially fullbacks. Cordon played RB in preseason and looked okay. He seems like a more natural fullback than Maund.

--------------Kocic--------------
Cordon---Harden--Emory---Morgan
-------Burgos--------JDG--------
--------------Avila--------------
Lambe--------Koev---------Plata

If Cann's fit, start him at LCB, shift Emory to RCB, and give Harden a rest.

Swap JDG for Dunfield at halftime.

iy12l
03-30-2012, 10:28 PM
We need to rest players for Wednesday so it should be something like this
------------Kocic-----------
-Maund-Ecks-Emory-Morgan-
-----------Burgos-----------
--------Silva---Avila--------
------Lambe-Koef-Plata-----

subs:
Makabuya
Cordon
Johnson
Soolsma
Dunfield
Cann

cherono
03-31-2012, 08:13 AM
Squad rotation would be great, but some serious lack of depth right now, especially fullbacks. Cordon played RB in preseason and looked okay. He seems like a more natural fullback than Maund.

--------------Kocic--------------
Cordon---Harden--Emory---Morgan
-------Burgos--------JDG--------
--------------Avila--------------
Lambe--------Koev---------Plata

If Cann's fit, start him at LCB, shift Emory to RCB, and give Harden a rest.

Swap JDG for Dunfield at halftime.

This looks pretty good; seems to have a nice balance - it's a tough call. On one hand, we play an experimental line-up and start the season 0-3, but with the Semi-Final on Wednesday, and the league match that I suspect many of us are most looking forward to next weekend (v MTL) , is it worth the risk to have a full strength squad?

I say play a decent side against Colombus (like AlanO described), maybe not all first-string guys, but no point completely sacrificing today for the future. It's about time we beat the KKKrew at home!

Dv23
03-31-2012, 10:22 AM
Damn. I'd like to field a prediction, but I don't know the projected line-ups and whatnot. Very difficult.

I'll go with 3-2 for us, based on the idea that we are playing some rookies in the back but some starters up front.

GBV
03-31-2012, 11:41 AM
I never had to do this before because I'm at all the home games (can't go today), and I recently downscaled to basic cable so ...... are there nice reliable streams of this anywhere on line?

Chubbs
03-31-2012, 11:49 AM
Torontofc.ca says the game is live on TSN, isnt that basic cable?

Mark TFC
03-31-2012, 12:01 PM
Come on you Reds! Let's keep it rollin' and beat those fucks.

Bleed Red - Piss Yellow

GBV
03-31-2012, 12:06 PM
Torontofc.ca says the game is live on TSN, isnt that basic cable?

Nope ... basic is up to channel 28.

jasper
03-31-2012, 12:09 PM
#TorontoFC (https://twitter.com/#!/search/%23TorontoFC) XI: Kocic; Eckersley, Harden, Emory, Morgan; Johnson, Dunfield, de Guzman; Soolsma, Koevermans, Plata

Island Man
03-31-2012, 12:13 PM
Surprised to see Avila/Silva on the bench. Emory and Plata both come in. Aceval and Lambe out.

substitutes: Rowe; Maund, Cann, Silva, Avila, Burgos ..

mowe
03-31-2012, 12:20 PM
Winter goes with a first-choice lineup. I like it, can't afford to keep dropping points at home.

dantdot
03-31-2012, 12:27 PM
Surprised to see Avila/Silva on the bench. Emory and Plata both come in. Aceval and Lambe out.

substitutes: Rowe; Maund, Cann, Silva, Avila, Burgos ..

Yeah, don't quite understand not starting Silva or Avila, especially Avila, since he can't play in CCL.

Island Man
03-31-2012, 12:31 PM
Yeah, don't quite understand not starting Silva or Avila, especially Avila, since he can't play in CCL.

Yeah would have liked Johnson to get a rest, looked a bit tired.

ForestGlade
03-31-2012, 12:32 PM
​nigel reed!!!!!

MartinUtd
03-31-2012, 12:47 PM
Interesting line up. I'm guessing Johnson comes off in the second half for Avila/Silva. Good to see Cann back as well.

ag futbol
03-31-2012, 12:50 PM
This is an important game for TFC.

Not discounting that game mid week, but man ... if we go 0-3 to start the season things are already looking a bit scary.

NBS
03-31-2012, 12:51 PM
#TorontoFC (https://twitter.com/#!/search/%23TorontoFC) XI: Kocic; Eckersley, Harden, Emory, Morgan; Johnson, Dunfield, de Guzman; Soolsma, Koevermans, Plata

That lineup pretty much waves the white flag versus Santos. I can't blame Winter. With the disappointing result mid-week, we have no shot in the CCL anymore, gotta get points in the league.

James17930
03-31-2012, 12:54 PM
Anyone got a stream yet?

EDIT:

Answered my own question:

http://www.firstrowsports.eu/watch/116376/1/watch-toronto-fc-vs-columbus-crew.html

EDIT EDIT:

This stream is not the TFC game.

So -- still needed.

LesH
03-31-2012, 12:54 PM
Any streams for outside Canada?
Thanks!

pekduck
03-31-2012, 12:58 PM
anyone got stream?

have tickets, can't go.. going to stream it at work..

MartinUtd
03-31-2012, 01:03 PM
uhh.. that firstrowsports link is showing a french league game

razor787
03-31-2012, 01:04 PM
Well it looks like Winter is giving up on the CCL. Stupid to play our best XI today, when we should be saving them for wed. Playing their 3rd game in 7 days at altitude will have them exhausted after the first half. I would have played some starters with our cup tied players, and bench guys.

LesH
03-31-2012, 01:05 PM
I did not found any streams. :facepalm:

ArmenJBX
03-31-2012, 01:05 PM
​nigel reed!!!!!

And Nick Dasovic....looks like they're running out of broadcasters :D

My turn, perhaps? :D

dantdot
03-31-2012, 01:06 PM
http://atdhenet.tv/45277/watch-toronto-fc-vs-columbus-crew

A.J
03-31-2012, 01:06 PM
http://www.sportlemon.tv/v-2/18/86/v-388774.html

Here's a stream. Quality's gash though

Flipityflu
03-31-2012, 01:08 PM
http://atdhenet.tv/45277/watch-toronto-fc-vs-columbus-crew

James17930
Beautiful -- thanks.

ForestGlade
My goodness those are a lot of empty seats

LittleOzzy
03-31-2012, 01:11 PM
I have missed Nigel Reed. I wish he did more games.

[NBF]
03-31-2012, 01:11 PM
My goodness those are a lot of empty seats

I guess people were not impressed at the rogers centre.

BTW.... whats the lineup today? ..... do i see Emory?

[NBF]
03-31-2012, 01:13 PM
So is Dasovic involved at all in the national team setup or is he just waiting to takeover for Stephen Hart. I think he is the next in line.

Inklink
03-31-2012, 01:13 PM
I have missed Nigel Reed. I wish he did more games.

Not me. Wileman is much, much better.

Soccerpro
03-31-2012, 01:16 PM
Excited to see Emory start at CB.

AlanO
03-31-2012, 01:19 PM
Some nice play from Koevermans.

MartinUtd
03-31-2012, 01:22 PM
Pretty funny dive over the boards.

James17930
03-31-2012, 01:22 PM
???

He could have stopped himself -- he didn't need to launch himself over the board. What a weirdo.

SirBobSaget
03-31-2012, 01:33 PM
Plata's first touches have been awful, keeps bouncing away.

AlanO
03-31-2012, 01:36 PM
Lots of route 1 from both teams.

JDG having another good game.

daner90
03-31-2012, 01:42 PM
I love the decorative Maple Leaf
on the seats in the East Stand but we are seeing wayyyy to much of it during games so far...

razor787
03-31-2012, 01:44 PM
I don't like all the crosses coming from the back. They need to keep the ball at their feet, and move it ahead with passes. They have given it away more than kept posession playing the ball through the air.

Soccerpro
03-31-2012, 01:45 PM
Our set pieces have been poor. Not always clearing the first defender on corners/swinging it out of bounds.

Soolsma has been having apoor game so far, he's usually automatic in getting his crosses in.

I like Emery so far.

Relja
03-31-2012, 01:49 PM
wtf????

A.J
He DID NOT TOUCH HIM

DoubleUp
what was that?

Soccerpro
Ty Harden giving up a penalty. The ball was going out of bounds towards the sideline, why dive in and challange, it's inviting trouble. Classic example why Harden has no soccer I.Q.

mowe
WE SAVED a penalty!

AlanO
Milos!!!

DoubleUp
kocic !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MartinUtd
Another save for milossssssssssssssss!!!!!!!1

A.J
Oh my Kocic!!,!

Relja
03-31-2012, 01:50 PM
Hell yeah :d kocic

Island Man
KOCIC! lovely save

ag futbol
Big save!

What was Harden thinking there? Call was a little dubious, but still ... why leave your feet like that?

Oldtimer
Kocic just did what Frei has never done.

Soccerpro
03-31-2012, 01:51 PM
Kocic does what Frei has never done before! Saved a penalty.

dantdot
03-31-2012, 01:51 PM
Harden is a numbskull, it's not piling on him, he just isn't good enough.

Takes one penalty for Kocic to save one. Ahem, Frei.

MrRobson
03-31-2012, 01:53 PM
the one frustrating part about plata is that he has every single tool in the toolbox, but can't seem to put it together for the finish.

Inklink
03-31-2012, 01:54 PM
IS it just me or is this Crew goalie falling too much.

Kocic is awesome.

ag futbol
03-31-2012, 01:55 PM
Well that will leave me with a bit of a good feeling at the end of the half.

Hugely lacking a catalyst up front. Our attack looks incredibly mechanical.

PopePouri
Bullshit. It was a dive to save a cross or shot on target. Stop blaming Harden.

MrRobson
Holy haircut

Fushida
03-31-2012, 01:56 PM
Ty Harden giving up a penalty. The ball was going out of bounds towards the sideline, why dive in and challange, it's inviting trouble. Classic example why Harden has no soccer I.Q.

seemed to me he went to ground trying to block any cross that was coming in. the replay shows that his legs didn't touch the columbus player.

One Target
03-31-2012, 01:56 PM
Great penalty save by Kocic..

AlanO
03-31-2012, 01:57 PM
Eckersley is completely owning their left winger.

JDG controlled the midfield really well. Dunfield needs to be crisper on his passes.

Koevermans has been pretty dangerous, his first goal feels like it's coming soon.

Emory's doing fine too.

Soccerpro

Ty Harden jumps in when he had the opposition player in a position which posed no danger to TFC. Of course opposition forwards look for the penalty. A smart defender would never do that. Stop being such an apologist for Ty Harden.

James17930
You can tell that Frei never even tried on penalties. His body language always seems to be 'enh, what's the point?'

Island Man
People are blaming him for going to ground when there was no need. If he didnt go to ground, there would be no penalty.

MartinUtd
Harden is a numbskull, it's not piling on him, he just isn't good enough.

Takes one penalty for Kocic to save one. Ahem, Frei.

I have to agree. His incremental improvements since coming to Toronto are not enough to have him anywhere other than the bench... if that. Winter needs to ship him off in the summer if Logan Emroy steps up and Cann is back.

One Target
03-31-2012, 01:58 PM
Decent half, but we gotta create more goal scoring opportunities. We lack movement off the ball.

One Target
03-31-2012, 01:59 PM
I don't think it was a penalty in the first place too.

PopePouri
03-31-2012, 01:59 PM
Yes the 6 yard box with the ball in play poses no threat. Are you blind?

dantdot
03-31-2012, 02:01 PM
How often does Plata have that bad first touch, often running backwards? Jesus.

Koev needs to be more clinical. That one where the ball fell to him should have been hit better.

Soccerpro
Yes the 6 yard box with the ball in play poses no threat. Are you blind?

Back to the play, ball rolling away from goal. Yes. Just pressure him towards to the corner.

One Target

Let's face it he has been poor, nevertheless he couldn't do much avoiding the penalty.

ArmenJBX
03-31-2012, 02:02 PM
It seems to me that a lot of our penalties are converted in the blindspots, right beside either post, away from the run of play, as the ball is leaving or is on its way out.

Traditionally this is because the centre defender isn't thinking two moves ahead - there isn't a lot you can do from that position, so what needs to happen is, the fullback needs to make himself available, and the centre defender needs to make sure he's blocking the route back into the middle of the park, leaving the opposing player with nowhere to go except outward, where Morgan/Eckersley is awaiting to make the next challenge.

Instead, we're slide tackling and causing penalties, time and time again, from this very same position.

PopePouri
03-31-2012, 02:02 PM
Also when does player diving and going to ground constitute the defenders fault. That's just shitty logic.

Back to the play, ball rolling away from goal. Yes. Just pressure him towards to the corner.

Which he did and should have been the call.

A.J
03-31-2012, 02:03 PM
Bad call by the ref, but the blame is also on Harden for giving the Columbus player an excuse to go down.

People seem to be thinking that you must pick a side and be either a Harden apologist or a anti-Harden.
I just want people to give criticism when it's needed (and not blind scapegoating), and also give praise where it's due.

iy12l
03-31-2012, 02:04 PM
plata has been horrible this half... we should sub on burgos silva in midfield and maybe lambe for plata

One Target
03-31-2012, 02:05 PM
Also when does player diving and going to ground constitute the defenders fault. That's just shitty logic.

It has been something common for sometime.

dantdot
03-31-2012, 02:06 PM
Bad call by the ref, but the blame is also on Harden for giving the Columbus player an excuse to go down.

People seem to be thinking that you must pick a side and be either a Harden apologist or a anti-Harden.
I just want people to give criticism when it's needed (and not blind scapegoating), and also give praise where it's due.

A balanced view on my RPB forums? It's more likely than you think.

One Target
03-31-2012, 02:06 PM
plata has been horrible this half... we should sub on burgos silva in midfield and maybe lambe for plata

We need some movement and we need Silva's trickery.

LesH
03-31-2012, 02:08 PM
How often does Plata have that bad first touch, often running backwards? Jesus.

Koev needs to be more clinical. That one where the ball fell to him should have been hit better.

Both Plata and DK have been busts so far this season (all official games and even preseason).
I hope they will play sometimes VERY SOON at least close to what they have shoved us in 2011, because right now they are light-years far from that.

Soccerpro

Which he did and should have been the call.

He gave the player an excuse to go down. I'll bet if you're a parent it's never your kids' fault when they get in trouble too, right, it's always someone elses fault?

ArmenJBX

Yup, just what I was thinking - unfortunately, Avila is more likely to come on, with Danny Koevermans illegible for the next match against Santos, Winter will want to keep Silva fresh.

EDIT: LOL, whoops. Nevermind

iy12l

Hopefully Aron doesn't put Silva in the wing again.. he really shines in the AM spot and creates chances from there.

James17930
03-31-2012, 02:10 PM
Winter:

"First, it wasn't a penalty. Also, good save by Milos."

Yep.

A.J
Silva in for Soolsma.

AlanO
Silva in for Soolsma

One Target
Yup, just what I was thinking - unfortunately, Avila is more likely to come on, with Danny Koevermans illegible for the next match against Santos, Winter will want to keep Silva fresh.

EDIT: LOL, whoops. Nevermind

hahahahaha... We need the WIN.

Island Man
03-31-2012, 02:11 PM
Silva on \o/

dantdot
03-31-2012, 02:13 PM
Ecks is beasting this game.

DoubleUp
03-31-2012, 02:14 PM
do they not practice squaring the ball to the top of the area

James17930
03-31-2012, 02:16 PM
It feels like we're going to score at some point . . .

RealG-TFC
03-31-2012, 02:20 PM
why do they insist on putting in shitty crosses

Inklink
LOL Dasovic and Emory.

One Target
Fuck this shit, shit defending.

ag futbol
03-31-2012, 02:21 PM
I was going to say .. JDG and the defense was doing ok. *crash

MartinUtd
Was that Emroy that missed the easy clearance? Terrible give away by JDG too.

iy12l
omg i left 1 second they score!

RealG-TFC
SEEE THATS HOW U FUCKING SCORE!!! Jeez, we're playing around on the sides putting in garbage crosses. It's like we're afraid of keeping the ball on the ground and running at defenders.

LesH
fuck! fuck!
fuck! fuck!
fuck! fuck!
fuck! fuck!
fuck! fuck!
fuck! fuck!
fuck! fuck!
fuck! fuck!
fuck! fuck!
fuck! fuck!
v
fuck! fuck!

mowe
Emory's got to do better clearing that ball.

One Target
03-31-2012, 02:22 PM
They made that defending looks like Sunday league.

Island Man
Fuck sake Emory, that was awful.

PAOK17
Has anyone seen any worse defending? The guy opens up the ball making it an easy challenge if you stand your ground and instead Emory puts it right off the striker.

Relja
well hell......we need to decrease the crossing and get in there and shoot on net.

MrRobson
03-31-2012, 02:23 PM
Honestly, I have faith in the TFC team. Yes the defense is awful right now, but you guys have more then enough talent to make the playoffs. But having a tough time putting it together

iy12l
03-31-2012, 02:24 PM
next home game will have horrible attendance if we lose this

dantdot
03-31-2012, 02:24 PM
Dunfield thought he was playing handegg for a moment

Lennon
03-31-2012, 02:25 PM
why do they insist on putting in shitty crosses

+1
They've been garbage so far.
Gonna be so retarded if we don't rest our starters and STILL lose :@

iy12l
03-31-2012, 02:25 PM
we put so many efforts to score but we cant, other teams dont do anything and score way too easy goals

One Target
03-31-2012, 02:26 PM
Honestly, I have faith in the TFC team. Yes the defense is awful right now, but you guys have more then enough talent to make the playoffs. But having a tough time putting it together

I think most of us are aware of that, but results matter. And in that department they have been really poor.

MartinUtd
03-31-2012, 02:26 PM
Dunfield out, Avila in.

iy12l
03-31-2012, 02:28 PM
I knew form the beggining we wouldnt be a playoff team this season, i had a good feeling it would start nmext season

dantdot
03-31-2012, 02:30 PM
I knew form the beggining we wouldnt be a playoff team this season, i had a good feeling it would start nmext season

You going to let us use your crystal ball?

iy12l
03-31-2012, 02:31 PM
To be honest, we are playing good but just are creating chances to score

iy12l
03-31-2012, 02:32 PM
why couldnt we counter like that

LesH
03-31-2012, 02:33 PM
After the goal the game looks like it's slipping away badly from us.

One Target
03-31-2012, 02:34 PM
To be honest, we are playing good but just are creating chances to score

Surprisingly we are doing that in the CL, somehow struggling to apply the same concept in the MLS.

One Target
03-31-2012, 02:35 PM
After the goal the game looks like it's slipping away badly from us.

Sadly, I agree with you.

ag futbol
03-31-2012, 02:37 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb and say Columbus won't be one of the better teams we face this year. Outside of Marshall and Renteria I haven't seen much.

Could really use these points

One Target
03-31-2012, 02:38 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if they scored the second.

iy12l
03-31-2012, 02:38 PM
we look much better at attacking when we took dunfield off

Oldtimer
03-31-2012, 02:40 PM
We won't see league points until Frings is back, except Maybe MTL.

mowe
03-31-2012, 02:40 PM
Columbus defense has been solid. They're very organized.

iy12l
03-31-2012, 02:42 PM

No its just we put horrible crosses in

A.J
Our crosses are not working...

MrRobson
i dont think its a coincidence the moment dunfield is off, the tfc team is much more offensive.

James17930
03-31-2012, 02:43 PM
Even though we're losing (and lost the first two league games), we've never had a team that could control huge stretches of the game like this before.

It may not mean much if we lose, but at least it's finally always watchable.

One Target
03-31-2012, 02:44 PM
Avila added the spark in midfield, he known for being more creative and attacking minded midfielder. I see no point whatsoever of starting Dunfield in those kind of games.

AlanO
No kidding. TFC should study the tape of this game really closely.

iy12l
Silva you ruined it

MrRobson
03-31-2012, 02:45 PM
Even though we're losing (and lost the first two league games), we've never had a team that could control huge stretches of the game like this before.

It may not mean much if we lose, but at least it's finally always watchable.

I don't wanna be a dick here, but TFC is passed the moral victory phase. This team needs wins, and wins only.

For the caps last year we knew it would be awful, as an expansion team, but this year no more excuses, its about winning and making the playoffs. TFC is in a winning state, and they need to keep it up.

They played so fucking good(are we allowed to swear on these forums? lol) in the conca, they need to bring the same energy to the MLS season.

One Target
03-31-2012, 02:45 PM
Johnson's putting man of the match performance.

RealG-TFC
03-31-2012, 02:46 PM
Avila really should have started this game.

One Target
03-31-2012, 02:48 PM
Hahahaha, they already starting to waste time.

iy12l
03-31-2012, 02:49 PM
i hope aron learns to start avila over dumbfield

MrRobson
He is suffering from waste-time-initus

One Target
i hope aron learns to start avila over dumbfield

Spot on.

Fushida
03-31-2012, 02:50 PM
both silva and avila have been great. ever since they came in it's been less terrible crosses and more just playing it on the ground, which has given us far more chances in the box than the crosses did. a lot of decent play, just absolutely no finish.

iy12l
03-31-2012, 02:50 PM
I would bust my guts laughing if Burgos scored in his debut.

Island Man
03-31-2012, 02:51 PM
Spot on.

Well only in game we shoudl be winning.

James17930
03-31-2012, 02:53 PM
Plata hip-check!

iy12l
03-31-2012, 02:54 PM
I dont care if we lose this, as long as we win in Mexico

Island Man
03-31-2012, 02:55 PM
That was close!

Island Man
03-31-2012, 02:56 PM
Oh ffs Burgos

RealG-TFC
03-31-2012, 02:59 PM
Clearly Silva and Avila should have started.

Oldtimer
03-31-2012, 02:59 PM
I wish Winter had just played the kids, plus the guys who can't play in Mexico.

ag futbol
03-31-2012, 03:00 PM
Pretty anonymous out there. Do we have the talent?

I don't think we should be looking past these dropped points.

Relja
We need to stop this constant crossing, when we cant complete a cross if our lives depended on it.

ArmenJBX
0/3 in MLS. 7 goals conceded. 1 goal scored.

Off to Mexico before we're hit with a reality check the size of the CN Tower - we are the worst team in MLS now.

iy12l
03-31-2012, 03:01 PM
Aron needs to teach the team to create chances with through balls rather than crosses!

MartinUtd
03-31-2012, 03:03 PM
Started a post game thread

http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?31310-Post-game-TFC-vs-Columbus

TFC07
03-31-2012, 03:04 PM
Shit game, shit atmosphere. I get the feeling once we out of CONCACAF then we will start playing well in MLS.

For the love of god, stop starting Dunfield and Harden every game.

DoubleUp
03-31-2012, 03:05 PM
Well Well once again. Emory did shit the bed but overall he played well. Our real problem is the stale attack and not being able to put the ball in the back of the net like I said before we need somebody that can constantly get in the attacking areas, Plata,soolsma and lembe are not sure mls starters.

Oldtimer
03-31-2012, 03:20 PM
postgame here: http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?31310-Post-game-TFC-vs-Columbus