PDA

View Full Version : CCL: Santos Laguna @ Toronto FC First Leg Post-Match Thread

Pages : [1] 2

Jack
03-28-2012, 09:05 PM
Discuss the match. Keep it clean and I don't want to see any further racist comments. It embarrasses me to have to start this thread this way. Go!

Island Man
03-28-2012, 09:06 PM
Well Santos have 2 players banned for the next leg, we have DK banned.

BayernTFC
Soolsma was the MOTM imho. Dunfield was strong in his role in the centre of the pitch and distributed the ball well. Especially in the first half. JDG actually showed up. Richard Eckersley had a very strong defensive game on the right side of the pitch. Although, he had a very late challenge on the first red card. Santos Laguna was quite composed defensively and it really showed after they went a man down. Oswaldo Sánchez is a really good keeper.

forzatoronto
What the hell happened at the end?

Anyway, we should have taken advantage of all the possession we had and the pressure we put on them. The 2nd leg is going to be a nightmare after what transpired tonight, Mexico is a difficult enough place to play already. :facepalm:

DoubleUp
Great game overall. Still lots to work on though.

Island Man
03-28-2012, 09:08 PM
Morgan, JDG, Soolsma were all superb. Dunfield, Ecks and Kocic had good games as well.

Batman
entertaining match.. I thought we deserved a win.

I would have liked to have seen Silva in there late.

Plata, dangerous every time he touched the ball.

TorontoGooner
They are so slow at the back. I thought we did really well and it just proves that when you get amongst these kind of teams they really don't like it. They're more than willing to dish it out but go down like a sack of shit the minute we give a bit back.

Good to see the lads literally fighting for each other at the end. I don't mind that one bit. Plus DK holding back the security guard was hilarious!

Well played boys. COYR

forzatoronto
Oh, and Soolsma should have stayed on, everything was happening through him.

MrRobson
03-28-2012, 09:09 PM
Wow that was a f*cking entertaining game!

RealG-TFC
Since it's still fresh in my head, I really wonder what Quintero did at the end to get the red. (Also why was the security guard being held back, lol wtf?)

Also, I'm kind of disappointed we didn't get another; we had a few decent chances.

Detroit_TFC
The boys honored the badge. Soolsma, Eckersley, JDG played far above their usual performances. Should we have capitalized on our chances? Yes, of course. The fact is, SL was head and shoulders above us in technical ability. In the end we were the ones with our heads high and they were the ones brawling. Fuck them sideways.

MrRobson
03-28-2012, 09:11 PM
Bring on the upset in Mexico. Make it happen TFC!

Batman
Ya.. I didn't see what Quintaro did, but he seemed like a hothead throughout the match too.

Detroit_TFC
Again, a baffling sub approach by Winter/De Klerk. I can understand if things are generally working to not rock the boat but when we have a man advantage why not bring in an attacking midfielder. Silva must have been chewing the bench in frustration.

king dave
Hopefully the immaturity of the Santos squad will rear it's head at home and give us the win by disqual.
And without injury to any players/supporters.
Very immature club from what I witnessed.
Even Solsy had to pry a security dude away from the scene.
KD.

Inklink
Now that was a good game! Lots of chances (should've scored more), huge saves from Kocic, and some fireworks to cap it off! Got fortunate with the refereeing though, even if Santos were, as a previous poster said, "immature".

AlanO
03-28-2012, 09:12 PM
Good game. Could have won, but 1-1 isn't bad at all.

Soolsma, Ecks, JDG, Dunfield were great. Kocic stood tall when called upon.

Really disappointed in Winter that he'd sub off Soolsma. Could have done a straight swap for Lambe to put Plata at LW. Lambe wasn't bad, but Soolsma was our biggest offensive threat and should have gone the full 90 minutes.

Kudos to Morgan for getting under Santos' skin.

Dkolish3
03-28-2012, 09:14 PM
My God that was a great match, funnest 1-1 draw I've ever seen.

More Thoughts

We can't complain next time when a Mexican referee doesn't give us a penalty

De Guzman was a beast MOTM

Based on history we'd be a decent mid-table Mexican Side

Love that Winter at least knows how to play Defense

The Leg in Mexico is going to be interesting

Love the Intensity that everyone showed.

iy12l
03-28-2012, 09:15 PM
best tfc game ever, especially the fight and the streamer stuck in that guys leg

MarkEightThree
03-28-2012, 09:20 PM
New two stick idea, with Kocic in place of Crowe:

http://www.hurlingmad.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Gladiator-PRINT-WEB-PNG1.png

Strans
03-28-2012, 09:21 PM
Fantastic match. Incredibly entertaining. Can't wait till Wednesday.

Detroit_TFC
03-28-2012, 09:22 PM
Good on Aceval for his concrete left foot but the central defense issues still in full effect. To be honest, was glad to see Maund come on.

iy12l
03-28-2012, 09:24 PM
maund actually played good at RB

NBS
03-28-2012, 09:24 PM
Terribly disappointed. Silva better be dead or dying to not appear. We were pretty much finished after the away goal conceded, would've needed at least 3 goals back to have a chance, and we knew that was never going to happen. Even a one goal victory would've given some semblance of hope, but the result is useless.

WestStandGeoff
03-28-2012, 09:29 PM
Should we be expecting to see any CONCACAF sanctions against Santos for their bench emptying onto the pitch before the final whistle?

BayernTFC
03-28-2012, 09:30 PM
Good game. Could have won, but 1-1 isn't bad at all.While TFC had their chances, I'd be cautious with such assessments. It looked to me as though Santos Laguna played the match they were hoping for. Santos only looked pressured a couple of times. It was a good performance by TFC.

Soolsma, Ecks, JDG, Dunfield were great. Kocic stood tall when called upon.

Really disappointed in Winter that he'd sub off Soolsma. Could have done a straight swap for Lambe to put Plata at LW. Lambe wasn't bad, but Soolsma was our biggest offensive threat and should have gone the full 90 minutes.I was reading your posts in the match thread, and we were watching the same game. It's refreshing to see someone focus on an individual player's role and performance and not just read about the inevitable mistakes.

Kudos to Morgan for getting under Santos' skin.Morgan had a good match, but he needs to learn to control his arms. Swinging his arms wildly behind his body while trying to shield the ball is poor play.

Oldtimer
03-28-2012, 09:31 PM
I think that if Frings had been in there, TFC would have won.

Very entertaining game. Winter/BDK got the strategy 100% correct.

The next game will be extremely tough, especially as TFC will have to score due to the away goal. We'll be missing Koevs, but they have 2 players out from red cards. It's clear that TFC really wanted this badly. Could they get a win in Mexico, without Koevs or Frings? Unlikely, but with this club anything is possible.

iy12l
03-28-2012, 09:33 PM
I hope none of our team members or workers get killed in mexico

BayernTFC
03-28-2012, 09:36 PM
maund actually played good at RB
I think supporters should be careful with their criticism of this young lad. He's showing some promise. He's only recently been playing at US college level, so mistakes will be made. I would caution that Santos Laguna was a man down for much of the time that he was on the pitch tonight. 1-1 away is a good result for Santos Laguna.

Dv23
03-28-2012, 09:37 PM
What an amazing game. I was in class so I had to record it. Just finished watching now.

But I missed the fight at the end, only saw up until one of the Mexicans pushed away a security guard, and then it cut away. By any chance, did someone record the feed past there, and could you post it up so I can see, or something?

I have to say though guys, they exceeded my expectations like 300%

Fushida
03-28-2012, 09:37 PM
i was expecting us to lose 2-1 or 3-1 tonight, so pleasantly surprised. it was an entertaining game to boot.
missed the end of the game though - can anyone fill me in on the commotion?

Strans
03-28-2012, 09:40 PM
JDG just said Ashtone Morgan was headbutted by #13 and "has a coconut on his head"

Dkolish3
03-28-2012, 09:46 PM
Why would you headbutt someone at the end of the game. TFC seems to have a problem with opponents hitting them in Cup matches. Anyone remember when a Montreal player knocked out Nick Garcia

jloome
03-28-2012, 09:47 PM
I thought we were the better team on the night and could've won it a few times. Good effort.

Dv23
I'm sitting here wondering where everybody is, and why nobody is commenting. Then I realized that all of the real fans were AT the game, and are still probably on their way home or out drinking. lol.

Looking forward to the flood of posts coming in the next little bit.

Fushida
Why would you headbutt someone at the end of the game. TFC seems to have a problem with opponents hitting them in Cup matches. Anyone remember when a Montreal player knocked out Nick Garcia

that was his best moment at tfc. ahh, such fond memories.

BayernTFC
03-28-2012, 09:48 PM
I hope none of our team members or workers get killed in mexico

ROFLMAO. That was spit my beer out funny. Thanks for that. :thumbsup:

Klinsmann
03-28-2012, 09:49 PM
only the bonehead security @ BMO would have to be restained by the TFC players (Danny K) when the fight broke out at the end of the game!

Nuvinho
03-28-2012, 09:52 PM
I really enjoyed the game. I was impressed with Soolsma. I know I am going to get in trouble for saying this - he did play well, but why does Dunfield always slide to make passes. He did that alot against San Jose and a few times today. But overall, impressed with the effort we put out there.

Does anyone know why Aceval was subbed?

sully
03-28-2012, 09:54 PM
Did the referee actually blow his whistle to end the game before the Santos bench ran on the field?

Jack
03-28-2012, 09:54 PM
Hamstring injury.

Chevy
03-28-2012, 09:55 PM
Fantastic effort tonight. From I through XI the boys should be proud of the result - we outplayed one of the best clubs in CONCACAF and could have easily taken the three points. Eck and Morgan were amazing, and WTF with Soolsma? I think someone hit him over the head and told him he was Ronaldo when he woke up. MOTM.

Let's hope for a driving rainstorm in Mexico next week, some more immature play by Santos and some Jamaican officials that have relatives in North York.

sully
A minor knock apparently.

Waggy
I can honestly say I've never been prouder to support Toronto FC. In a game when we were missing our captain, our best player, our leader, our defensive anchor. Plus our 2nd best defender. Plus with a banged up front line. To play with that kind of heart against the top club in Mexico right now.... I know we didn't win. I know next week we're probably going to get smoked, but god damn it, what's what everyone said about tonight 4 hours ago. COME ON YOU REDS!

Aside: Koevermans holding back that security guard from attacking that cunt....er santos player, was EASILY the highlight of Toronto FC's 5.1 seasons thus far. Freaking gold. You may be able to push central Americans around, and maybe even Americans, but you ain't never tangled with no Canadians before Santos. Watch yo selves. :canada::canada::scarf::scarf::scarf::scarf::scarf :

barticusz
03-28-2012, 09:57 PM
Here are my thoughts on the match:

JDG had a solid game, but he left me wanting more. He controlled the pitch nicely but sadly nobody near the end of the game was moving around to give him some options. Hence the looping balls overhead. Otherwise, he had some great runs himself where he created some nice plays.

Morgan: Played decent. Got under the skin of the opposition and took them off their game a little bit. His defense is alright but he needs to work on his crosses. If he can get those through a little bit more he could add a great dimension to our offense.

Dumbfield: Between him and Harden I want to rip my eyes out.

Overall the team played with passion today. They worked hard for the balls and were also lucky that Santos wasn't at their best. My man of the match will go to Soolsma as he more often than not created something out of nothing which was really difficult for some of our players to do. I think that a player like Silva could have been useful today to help JDG move the ball up to the strikers.

Fun game to watch and I was impressed by the supporters for sticking through the shite conditions. Kudos to you all, wish I could've been there.

Detroit_TFC
03-28-2012, 09:57 PM
To have Santos Laguna's coach complaining about the quality of reffing in the match makes me so happy i could jizz rainbows.

Ratven
03-28-2012, 10:01 PM
I can honestly say I've never been prouder to support Toronto FC. In a game when we were missing our captain, our best player, our leader, our defensive anchor. Plus our 2nd best defender. Plus with a banged up front line. To play with that kind of heart against the top club in Mexico right now.... I know we didn't win. I know next week we're probably going to get smoked, but god damn it, what's what everyone said about tonight 4 hours ago. COME ON YOU REDS!

Aside: Koevermans holding back that security guard from attacking that cunt....er santos player, was EASILY the highlight of Toronto FC's 5.1 seasons thus far. Freaking gold. You may be able to push central Americans around, and maybe even Americans, but you ain't never tangled with no Canadians before Santos. Watch yo selves. :canada::canada::scarf::scarf::scarf::scarf::scarf :

Absolutely agree with this, extremely proud of the boys after this match.

Detroit_TFC
03-28-2012, 10:03 PM
You never know what TFC team will show up. I like this one.

Sooooo, who plays center forward in the 2nd leg?

Nuvinho
03-28-2012, 10:05 PM
You never know what TFC team will show up. I like this one.

Sooooo, who plays center forward in the 2nd leg?

Play RJ at up top, with plata and soolsma on the wings. Silva as AM

nickio
03-28-2012, 10:06 PM
I think JDG deserves a nod in his direction. He played well, and stepped up a notch. He's no superstar, but a genuinely Good Midfielder today. I also like how in the beginning of the game he looked like a leader out there, although that died off towards the end.

I still feel a bit dizzy from all the Soolsma moves. Man that guy will make your headspin once in a while- impressive.

Detroit_TFC
03-28-2012, 10:06 PM
Nuvinho - sounds right to me. IMO that would be a potent attacking formation.

ouderwien
03-28-2012, 10:07 PM
From 110, we brought it guys. Let's keep that passion up. The boys on the field had it, and we had it. Incredible night, too bad we couldn't get a second

nickio
03-28-2012, 10:07 PM
Also good to see Cann on the bench at least.

Harden scared the shit out of me everytime he touched the ball. His starting days are numbered...

nickio
03-28-2012, 10:09 PM
As a TFC fan, reffing was pretty good. But in all honesty the ref fuked up on the Eckersley play, and the penalty in Toronto's box.

Oblio2
03-28-2012, 10:09 PM
Jus got back.
Fucking cold but great game. We had the chances to take that 3-1 but, 1-1 against this tough team is a commendable result.
Soolsma was excellent. I'll give credit to JDG and for those that know me, I dislike him a lot.....so thats a lot for me to say.

We played well....

1st Red for the tackle on Ginger Pele was a stone cold Red.
We were lucky not to get a penalty against us......
But, also the ref missed like, 3 handballs by them.

I must admit, Im disapointed that Laguna showed no class, They are a diving, cheating, whining, classless bunch of fuckers.....

Decent result. Well played boys and give 'em hell in Mexico.

Detroit_TFC
03-28-2012, 10:10 PM
As a TFC fan, reffing was pretty good. But in all honesty the ref fuked up on the Eckersley play, and the penalty in Toronto's box.

Yeah, we got away with one for a change. SL coach was furious about reffing. Turnabout is fair play like they say.

Detroit_TFC
03-28-2012, 10:11 PM
Seems that Soolsma has made the most progress this year compared to last year. Danny K looked gassed out there.

BayernTFC
03-28-2012, 10:12 PM
I know I am going to get in trouble for saying this - he did play well, but why does Dunfield always slide to make passes. He did that alot against San Jose and a few times today.
I must say that I haven't observed Dunfield always sliding to make passes. I did notice Dunny quickly recognizing his options, finding an outlet, and then moving into space. His passes mostly made their mark. Dunfield did well connecting the backline to the forwards and TFC's attack wasn't reliant on the wings alone or on looping long balls. How many times has TFC been completely dominated and been unable to move the ball through the middle of the pitch? That certainly wasn't the case tonight. I also noticed that Dunfield's play allowed JDG to provide cover defensively. Part of the reason why JDG had such a good game was because Dunfield did his job.

nickio
03-28-2012, 10:13 PM
Ye, DK needs to find his touch. He seems to have lost it almost completely. That play where he got a perfect pass from Lambe and roofed it after being wide open is a perfect example of our DP striker backfiring. But his positioning is still top notch.

luisfigo
03-28-2012, 10:13 PM
I was extremely impressed by TFC's performance tonight. Maund didn't look out of place and put in a good showing. JDG actually played to the level we expect. I have a hard time with Dunfield, you have to love his hard work and tenacity out there, but his soccer IQ is lacking sometimes. Koov's is looking lazy out there or out of shape. And I'm starting to like the duo of Johnson and Lambe on the wings up front, very threatening.
To be honest, I was expecting TFC to be outplayed and beaten tonight. However, I was gladly mistaken, and I can't help but feel that a good result next week isn't out of TFC's reach, especially since Santos has lost two players to red cards.
this game has gotten me excited for this Saturday's clash against the crew, and looking forward to a decent result at home.

coyr

greatwhitenorf
03-28-2012, 10:14 PM
Must say that was one of the best nights ever at BMO Field. Great game, both sides attacking and going for it until Santos got their first red card. I just love how TFC routinely play up to their superior opposition when we have opponents of this calibre.

To be fair, Santos were probably quite relaxed in their approach after potting that all-important away goal. Still, they didn't sit too deep and play that gawdawful cynical game some clubs play defending all night. We got our goal and it was game on with lots of time left. Just a fun night of clearly passionate play that got a little out of hand at the end. Honestly, no idea what sparked the handbags, but it was totally unneccesary.

Value delivered, more please, this weekend and all season long.

Chubbs
03-28-2012, 10:14 PM
So proud of TFC tonight for playing their hearts out tonight, I'm happy at 1-1, although that Santos goal really baffled me, looked to be both offside and a handball from where I was standing at BMO. We had so many chances to really bury the game, but I think we really took it too them, and I cant wait for round two.

I was in the North end beer patio when the brawl broke out, and didn't have a good vantage of anything that was going on.. What happened?

Also if anyone knows where I can rewatch this game in its entirety, I would be forever grateful. That was such an entertaining game!

Detroit_TFC
03-28-2012, 10:17 PM
Ye, DK needs to find his touch. He seems to have lost it almost completely. That play where he got a perfect pass from Lambe and roofed it after being wide open is a perfect example of our DP striker backfiring. But his positioning is still top notch.

That is an important thing to keep in mind. Hopefully we'll see some benefit from that soon.

greatwhitenorf
03-28-2012, 10:19 PM
Must say that was one of the best nights ever at BMO Field. Great game, both sides attacking and going for it until Santos got their first red card. I just love how TFC routinely play up to their superior opposition when we have opponents of this calibre.

To be fair, Santos were probably quite relaxed in their approach after potting that all-important away goal. Still, they didn't sit too deep and play that gawdawful cynical game some clubs play defending all night. We got our goal and it was game on with lots of time left. Just a fun night of clearly passionate play that got a little out of hand at the end. Honestly, no idea what sparked the handbags, but it was totally unneccesary.

They may have two or three players missing because of tonight's cards - haven't studied how the yellows work - but they sat out two of their best players - one on accumulated yellows, the other just via squad rotation. They'll still be tough next week.

Value delivered, more please, this weekend and all season long.

Chubbs
03-28-2012, 10:19 PM
But, also the ref missed like, 3 handballs by them.

This. I thought it was closer to 5 or 6 handballs that went uncalled for Santos.

Detroit_TFC
03-28-2012, 10:24 PM
So onward to the next Most Important Game In TFC History. Fuck me, we've had how many of these so far this year?

luisfigo
03-28-2012, 10:27 PM
So onward to the next Most Important Game In TFC History. Fuck me, we've had how many of these so far this year?

not enough, and on behalf of everyone here, i'd love to see at least two "most important games in tfc history"

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
03-28-2012, 10:29 PM
I cant say enough of how proud i was to be a TFC supporter tonight!!....... We played with Heart..Passion!!! We were the better TEAM hands down and they are very lucky to be heading back home with a result!!...As for the supporters all i can say is wow!!! It was a wonderful night!!

cheers!

Gringo Starr
03-28-2012, 10:31 PM
Play every game the way we played this one and I will be forever happy. Fantastic effort all around.

WestStandGeoff
03-28-2012, 10:32 PM
Did the referee actually blow his whistle to end the game before the Santos bench ran on the field?

I don't think so - there's no way that was 5 minutes.

SoccMan
03-28-2012, 10:33 PM
Soolsma needed to stay on, don't understand why he came off, Lambe should have been taken off instead, Soolsma was a threat and Santos could not have been happier when he came off, a bad move by Winter. Silva should have come on also would have helped in creating chances fot that second goal.

jabbronies
03-28-2012, 10:34 PM
I really enjoyed the game. I was impressed with Soolsma. I know I am going to get in trouble for saying this - he did play well, but why does Dunfield always slide to make passes. He did that alot against San Jose and a few times today. But overall, impressed with the effort we put out there.

I know!!! Nick "Slow as Molasses" Soolsma. I don't know how he is doing it this season with the ball movement. He is just making these small little cut moves and touches and they are working!

Aceval was a risk at the back. Couldn't trust him that late in the game would be my guess.

Couchy81
03-28-2012, 10:35 PM
I cant say enough of how proud i was to be a TFC supporter tonight!!....... We played with Heart..Passion!!! We were the better TEAM hands down and they are very lucky to be heading back home with a result!!...As for the supporters all i can say is wow!!! It was a wonderful night!!

cheers!

Agreed, it was a great night. Would have preferred 0-0 but after they scored the go ahead can't be too disappointed. I was pretty disappointed with DK though, other than a sick backheel he didn't win any balls in the air, had no aim with shots on target, and could not distribute the ball to Plata which forced the long ball to Plata which he will never win. Other than that, loved the play from our defence, it was night and day compared to the past two matches, Ecks knows how to slide tackle, damn, that's how you play the game.

Also the support at this game was the best for a Champs League game at BMO in our history, justifiably as it was the semi's, but I was glad to see the support despite the cold and rain.

1-0 in Mexico lets fucking do it right!

Dv23
03-28-2012, 10:37 PM

Just checked my recording. The ref had, in fact, blown the whistle. 5 minutes and about 5 seconds had been played.

Chubbs
03-28-2012, 10:38 PM
Also Kocic has been an absolute beast! Do they sell his jersey anywhere? I think its time.

Detroit_TFC
03-28-2012, 10:39 PM
not enough, and on behalf of everyone here, i'd love to see at least two "most important games in tfc history"

People are already calling this a Cinderella run.

Whoop
03-28-2012, 10:43 PM
Wasn't Soolsma on a yellow? Maybe taking him off to be safe so he wouldn't miss next week?

I could be wrong.

Great night. TFC had chances to win. Was impressed with Maund in the 2nd half, as I was with a number of guys.

Was hoping that TFC could keep it respectable without Frings and the disasters of the Seattle and SJ matches and they did over and above what I expected.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
the game that was the biggest game in tfc is forgotten....next weds is now the biggest gamae in tfc history!! cant wait

luisfigo

jabbronies
03-28-2012, 10:44 PM
We've lost koev for the next CCl game on yellows.

Acevil was subbed with an injury

Couchy81
03-28-2012, 10:47 PM
We've lost koev for the next CCl game on yellows.

Like I said to my buddy next to me it was a strategic yellow to figure out the weak spot in their wall, and it paid off with the equalizer ;)

TheEdge
03-28-2012, 10:50 PM
Soolsma does all his deft moves with his feet, for the most part ( Not a lot of head fakes like basketball). I was surprised how much space the Left Back gave him in the first half (10 feet) but when I think about it, he does his best when he draws defenders a few feet away, catches them flat footed and then speed is not a major factor at that point.

JonO
03-28-2012, 10:55 PM
He did blowthe whistle and it was 5 minutes. Kept track on my watch...

jabbronies
03-28-2012, 11:00 PM
He did blowthe whistle and it was 5 minutes. Kept track on my watch...

MLS website says about 6

TheEdge
03-28-2012, 11:01 PM
One more thought. Ecks is back to last year's form. In the quarters, he was pulling a Scholes many times with late challenges from behind. Most of his tackles were well timed tonight. If he could just learn to place decent crosses when attacking down the wing, he will be an all-star.

Gringo Starr
03-28-2012, 11:03 PM
will Stinson and Henry be available for next wednesady

Yohan
03-28-2012, 11:04 PM
Considering I was expecting a loss, esp after Gomez scored for Santos Laguna, it's a good result for TFC. This game proved that TFC can play against Santos Laguna, and hopefully the lads will take heart and not be intimidated when going to Torreon next week. Plus you get worked up after a bench clearing brawl, right? (Well, Santos Laguna will try to make a lesson out of TFC next week, too)

The weather clearly affected Santos and I thought they were playing at about 75%. Still, their tic tac toe passes were good, with precision. It's going to be scary seeing them at 100%.

A bit lucky with reffing, but all things considered... karma is a bitch. I lost a lot of respect for Santos for their diving antics.

As much as he doesn't like it, but Eckersley has to play sweeper role, even if it's a flat back four.

The lads were gassed out by 80mins. Would have loved to see Silva for Dunfield after the first red card, but I think Winter didn't want to risk getting hit on counter by pushing up too much

BayernTFC
03-28-2012, 11:04 PM
Aceval was a risk at the back. Couldn't trust him that late in the game would be my guess.
I don't understand the hateon for this player.

Lennon
03-28-2012, 11:10 PM
What a fantastic game and great night in the stands. These Champions League nights always seem to bring out the best in us. Both on the field and in the stands. Sure it might not have been a "sell out" like most MLS games but the supporters section was packed and rockin' for most of the game ..

Oh, and never though I'd say this .. but credit to Gerry Dobson for the the call on Aceval's goal ..

rocker
03-28-2012, 11:11 PM
From my position directly in line (section 125), the Santos goal was OFFSIDE. I was deliberately watching for this, as I noticed the player making the run. Our whole section was calling offside. The linesman on the east side was quite poor tonight. There were at least 3 of these offside plays that he missed. Of course the player still made a great play to score. But it was offside.

I loved the vibe at the stadium tonight. Another one of those rainy, cold nights where magic happens with the atmosphere. I think part of it is that people chose, in very short time, to be there. The people who were there really wanted to be there and it showed. As others have said, I'm proud of this effort and we still have a chance going into the third-last game of the whole goddamn Champions League. That's pretty awesome.

Weird sight after the game: all the young people dancing to the DJ's music in the north end beer garden. lol.

And to the Santos-fan asshole who said after the game: "we will beat you 8-0 at home" --- fuck you fatso.

Yohan
03-28-2012, 11:15 PM
you suck if you're not as good as rio ferdinand

Yohan
03-28-2012, 11:17 PM
Weird sight after the game: all the young people dancing to the DJ's music in the north end beer garden. lol.

i am scarred for life. hip hop and dubstep mashed together? shoot me

ensco
03-28-2012, 11:17 PM
Some unbelievable things.

Who here thought Soolsma on the wing with the ball, going one on one deep in Santos territory, would either make a nice cross or win a corner every single time?

Who here thought Maund and Harden would make critical, beautiful, all ball tackles, in huge situations?

I thought Winter played the game his way -with the high line, but with forwards harassing the outlet pass and defenders making plays. He didn't park the bus. I was impressed. He will have to coach the game of his life next week.

I thought the guys gave us everything they had.

This game was all I ever wanted out of being a TFC fan.

jloome
03-28-2012, 11:18 PM
From my position directly in line (section 125), the Santos goal was OFFSIDE. I was deliberately watching for this, as I noticed the player making the run. Our whole section was calling offside. The linesman on the east side was quite poor tonight. There were at least 3 of these offside plays that he missed. Of course the player still made a great play to score. But it was offside.

I loved the vibe at the stadium tonight. Another one of those rainy, cold nights where magic happens with the atmosphere. I think part of it is that people chose, in very short time, to be there. The people who were there really wanted to be there and it showed. As others have said, I'm proud of this effort and we still have a chance going into the third-last game of the whole goddamn Champions League. That's pretty awesome.

And to the Santos-fan asshole who said after the game: "we will beat you 8-0 at home" --- fuck you fatso.

Looked level with harden to me. God I hope we beat them at home. That would be unbelievably sweet.

Yohan
03-28-2012, 11:19 PM
I hope Nick Soolsma haters shut up for a while

jloome
03-28-2012, 11:20 PM
He's class. he's always been class. He looks gawky and slow, but he's not. Smart player, too.

manic.street.preacher
03-28-2012, 11:20 PM
Who here thought Soolsma on the wing with the ball, going one on one deep in Santos territory, would either make a nice cross or win a corner every single time?
^me

so many talking points, both positive and negative, come out of this match ... but all i'm gonna say is i'm glad they finally showed their teeth. dug in, coulda easily been up by a few more goals, but they truly played for the badge tonight. good showing, lads. so proud to be red.

London
03-28-2012, 11:21 PM
only the bonehead security @ BMO would have to be restained by the TFC players (Danny K) when the fight broke out at the end of the game!

i knew i seen this, i was like WTF

Whoop
03-28-2012, 11:23 PM
Soolsma does all his deft moves with his feet, for the most part ( Not a lot of head fakes like basketball). I was surprised how much space the Left Back gave him in the first half (10 feet) but when I think about it, he does his best when he draws defenders a few feet away, catches them flat footed and then speed is not a major factor at that point.

Soolsma had a couple of great turns in the box tonight too. Leaves me flabbergasted all the time.

I mean I know he can do it, but still surprised everytime he does do it. LOL

Whoop
03-28-2012, 11:24 PM

Still can't believe it. LOL

Yohan
03-28-2012, 11:25 PM
Soolsma had a couple of great turns in the box tonight too. Leaves me flabbergasted all the time.

I mean I know he can do it, but still surprised everytime he does do it. LOL it's so shocking for a guy like Soolsma to make moves like he's Ronaldinho or something. the way he faked out two Santos defenders for a shot on 67th min. flabbergasted

tfcocd
03-28-2012, 11:26 PM
From 108 looked offside, but seeing it in slow motion on TV it is onside. Great pass and run. TFC played a very gritty game. I thought Santos flopping was an embarassment and haven't seen anything like it.

Waggy
03-28-2012, 11:26 PM
Soolsma impressed the hell out of me tonight. JDG played above his contract. Our entire backline looked great, esp Ecks. Kocic made a few more nice saves. If this TFC could show up consistantly and you add Frings, Henry and Cann to this club.... if we make the playoffs, we will be a force. I don't care if we win the east or just sneak in. We may not have much as a club just yet, but we definitely have a sense for the moment. And that can take a club a long long way. Theres definitely something to be said for showing up big in big games.

Auzzy
03-28-2012, 11:27 PM
Just watched the highlights on the CONCACAF website. (Not a very good set of highlights unfortunately, as per usual for CONCACAF.) I dunno, Santos goal looks onside to me.

Saw one of Soolsma's smooth moves again on the replay. LOL, one of the Santos players is so in awe, he just falls backwards & sits down. ;)

Could get ugly next week. I hope we don't get one of those crappy Central American or Caribbean refs that pulls a yellow card every time a strong breeze blows across the pitch. (I know they aren't all bad, and don't all fall for the diving -- but we've seen some pretty bad ones.)

ensco
03-28-2012, 11:29 PM
JDG played above his contract

I don't get it. Lots of people seem to be saying this. I didn't see it. Still losing possession battles and always playing the square ball, IMHO.

I would say I noticed almost every other player more than JDG.

Auzzy
03-28-2012, 11:31 PM
Look at these stats, definitely not what I would have expected before the game:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2012-03-28-tor-v-csl/stats

Waggy
03-28-2012, 11:32 PM
Most Central Americans arent too fond of <exican clubs either. and while they may not like Americans, who can hate on Canada? Honestly. even Russian hockey fans like us. You saw some of the calls today.... I was sure we gave away a penalty when whoever it was 2 handed the guy in the back. And I dont think Ill ever understand the straight red to the santos guy when Ecks came in WELL late, boot high or no. Anything is possible!!!!!

Furtado91
03-28-2012, 11:32 PM
That fight at the end as totally uncalled for and I hope there are punishments handed out to Santos for that. Make them play with 10 guys or suspend another 2 while your at it. Totally classless as other have said. Side note when Santos scored and that group in 109 I think was pointing to us and cheering and acting all mighty. we all showed them that this was OUR HOUSE. I met some great people tonight like estasschio, and I sang my heart out for 90 mins. gonna feel it in the morning, but the atmosphere was great Everyone was very welcoming to me i felt like i was apart of a family. Overall a great game, It was nice to see TFC playing their best today especially after the last 2 games weren't the greatest.

Thank you guys so much for such an awesome night, and I hope to have many more memories such as this one.

cheers,
Matt

Yohan
03-28-2012, 11:33 PM
I thought Danny K had okay game. He had one good header blocked by a Santos defender with his hand, made a sick 1v1 move and had a shot cleared near the line and cheecky back heel for first touch and a quick pass to Lambe and received the ball back in good position... to sky hoof it

He's out of form right now, but I think he's going to get his scoring touch back once he gets few more games. He's going to be missed next Wed

Auzzy
03-28-2012, 11:34 PM
^ I think the red card was the reaction to the Santos player's cleats going all the way up Eck's thigh. In the slo-mo replay, you can see better what actually happened before that.

ensco
Look at these stats, definitely not what I would have expected before the game:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2012-03-28-tor-v-csl/stats

Corners were 12-1!!

tfcocd
At least this season JDG seems to keep the ball down when he takes a shot! Had another decent effort tonight. If TFC could take this scrappy mentality into league play I have to believe we will improve over last season.

Waggy
03-28-2012, 11:35 PM
I don't get it. Lots of people seem to be saying this. I didn't see it. Still losing possession battles and always playing the square ball, IMHO.

I would say I noticed almost every other player more than JDG. Tonight he provided stability, was a presence on both the attack and defending, had a whole bunch of interception style knockdowns or outright steals, made smart passes, never lost his composure etc. For me the MOM. Tho had soolsma gone longer id give it to him

nickio
03-28-2012, 11:36 PM
I love how Soolsma keeps things simple, yet all his dekes are extremely effective and very consistent. He's crosses are also very good. With Plata you always get the feeling that he'll overdo something, but that's just age.

ensco
03-28-2012, 11:36 PM
Tonight he provided stability, was a presence on both the attack and defending, had a whole bunch of interception style knockdowns or outright steals, made smart passes, never lost his composure etc. For me the MOM. Tho had soolsma gone longer id give it to him

I'm quibbling. They were all great tonight.

Waggy
03-28-2012, 11:37 PM
For sure, but Ecks initiated the contact, and well late. The guy wasnt sliding for possession, it was to make a pass. Also on the replay you can see Ecks ROCK him in the balls. And dont think he was wearing a cup haha. Injury to insult lol

nickio
03-28-2012, 11:39 PM
Keeping Koevs on the bench for the (part of) last two games makes more sense now. Winter is very focused on CCL and he was planning on resting him for today in hopes that Johnson can get the job done. It didn't happened, but today was worth it and you I can't fault Winter on that strategy...

Blowing Bubbles
03-28-2012, 11:39 PM
Really proud of the boys effort tonight. Could easily point out a few shortcomings from individuals but now is not the time, the team put it all on the line and that's all you can ask for when you pay for your ticket.

Great night just to be there, near bench clearing brawl just added the extra little bit - and good on the crowd for playing their part and not walking out right at the end of the match but sticking around to both clap our boys and give Santos stick as they walked off.

With the new 3 team group format starting this year, who knows if/when we'll ever be in this position again!

Blowing Bubbles
03-28-2012, 11:40 PM
Also - Morgan is an fng animal the way he gets up the pitch. Playing like a true wingback.

nickio
03-28-2012, 11:40 PM
Also - Morgan is an fng animal the way he gets up the pitch. Playing like a true wingback.

Very quick, he can be my wingman any day.

ensco
03-28-2012, 11:44 PM
Oh man, I think Morgan may be something special. First he totally handled Donovan (who also gave Morgan a late cheap shot behind the play late at Skydome, not many saw it) now this game ... the guy is the fastest man on the pitch, and strong (seriously muscling guys off the ball shoulder to shoulder). He is beating guys at the highest level.

BayernTFC
03-28-2012, 11:44 PM

I would say I noticed almost every other player more than JDG.
While I wouldn't describe his performance tonight as playing above his contract, Julian did show up tonight. Watch the footage of last week's game against SJ, and observe JDG on the third goal. Unfortunately, that's what I have come to expect from JDG while he's been at TFC. Julian was actually putting forth effort against Santos Laguna at BMO tonight. He's not a ball winner in the middle of the pitch and he's not TFC's quarterback. Dunfield was charged with making the choices and distributing the ball which allowed JDG to help out defensively.

Dv23
03-28-2012, 11:47 PM
I know that I shouldn't bring this up, but some dude called me silly today for predicting a 1-1 win. When will people finally understand that I have some sort of strange psychic ability?

BayernTFC
03-28-2012, 11:50 PM
you suck if you're not as good as rio ferdinand

LOL. Okay. Thanks for helping me get it. :thumbsup:

I hope Nick Soolsma haters shut up for a while
I am going to invoke the spirit of your post above and say they'll shut up when he performs like Arjen Robben in MLS play. Maybe?

BayernTFC
03-28-2012, 11:51 PM
He's class. he's always been class. He looks gawky and slow, but he's not. Smart player, too.

This. :thumbsup:

Yohan
03-28-2012, 11:56 PM
LOL. Okay. Thanks for helping me get it. :thumbsup:
I was being cheeky

I am going to invoke the spirit of your post above and say they'll shut up when he performs like Arjen Robben in MLS play. Maybe?

screw Robben. Ribery or go home

Lennon
03-28-2012, 11:57 PM
Love the little skirmish at the end .. are you Copa Libertadores in disguise ?? :D

RealG-TFC
03-28-2012, 11:58 PM
I was beginning to like the guy but...

http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/mls/torontofc/article/1153481--toronto-fc-earns-1-1-tie-against-santos-laguna-in-concacaf-champions-league-semifinal

“If the score was 6-1 to (one of the) best teams in MLS, can you imagine what we can do to Toronto,” the American international said in Spanish post-game.
“Just wait to be in Torreon.”

Auzzy
03-28-2012, 11:59 PM
For sure, but Ecks initiated the contact, and well late. The guy wasnt sliding for possession, it was to make a pass. Also on the replay you can see Ecks ROCK him in the balls. And dont think he was wearing a cup haha. Injury to insult lol

I was going to totally agree with you, but I took another look at the replay. The guy's foot was already up high & headed for Ecks' thigh, before Ecks ran into him. Here's a screenshot, I grabbed it a tiny bit too late, his foot was already up a bit earlier.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7268/7025869505_dab73529a4.jpg

Furtado91
03-29-2012, 12:06 AM

http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/mls/torontofc/article/1153481--toronto-fc-earns-1-1-tie-against-santos-laguna-in-concacaf-champions-league-semifinal

“If the score was 6-1 to (one of the) best teams in MLS, can you imagine what we can do to Toronto,” the American international said in Spanish post-game.

You know what let them think with that attiude, it will only screw them over with their cockiness. anyways Loved the game.

Carts
03-29-2012, 12:06 AM
Its never impossible!

BayernTFC
03-29-2012, 12:15 AM
I was being cheeky
I know. That's why I found your comment so funny.

screw Robben. Ribery or go home
LOL. Poor Soolsma. How are you going to win people over with comparisons to the French?

TFCRegina
03-29-2012, 12:20 AM

Well, first, I don't like him because he's not grounded in reality.

Second, I don't like him because he seems to want to go to Torreon for some reason.

Roogsy
03-29-2012, 12:26 AM
Very entertaining match. With Frings I agree TFC could have won. This match however was pretty even but I still give the edge to Santos as the team that had the better chances to win as well as being the bigger douchebags.

Going back to Mexico I think this run will see its end.

ouderwien
03-29-2012, 12:33 AM
Is there somewhere I would be able to rewatch the game?

Yohan
03-29-2012, 12:37 AM
Is there somewhere I would be able to rewatch the game?

it'll be on replay on GolTV. full match at 8am

ouderwien
03-29-2012, 12:39 AM
it'll be on replay on GolTV. full match at 8am

Ahh, I don't have goltv....

Is there website somewhere? haha

razor787
03-29-2012, 01:04 AM
if you have an xbox, you may be able to watch it on their xbox app

03-29-2012, 01:58 AM
I just got home from BMO and couldn't sleep, so I had to rewatched the game on PVR.

So, so, so sick of hearing Dobson and Forrest remind me that "1-1 is a good score for Santos".

As a road team, do you like to go home tied with a road goal? Yes.

But as the heavy favourite with the overwhelming advantage in talent, you have 180 minute to separate yourself from the opposition.
After 90 minutes, they are still a bad bounce; an official's judgement call; a simple goal away from elimination.
They've had their chance to distinguish themselves, and after 90 minutes, they have failed to do so.

Are they still favoured to go through? Sure.

But 1-1 is not a good score for such a heavy favourite.

It all still rests on a bounce.

They've done nothing to distinguish themselves.

03-29-2012, 02:02 AM
Dear Captain Frings.
Please circle April 18th at Monterrey on your calendar.
That's four weeks, yes?

Dub Narcotic
03-29-2012, 02:48 AM
Ha, ha, Craig Forrest loves when Canadian teams hard tackle the Mexican and South American teams. He almost creamed himself on one hard Eckersley tackle.

PAOK17
03-29-2012, 03:25 AM

That's a very small team (and player) mentality. Claiming that you need home-field advantage to beat a "bad" team like Toronto shows that you're not that good of a team. You wouldn't hear Barcelona say "wait until we get back to Camp Nou" regardless of who they are playing because like big teams, they are expected to be unfazed by home support and are expected to perform just as effectively home and away. Furthermore, as many have pointed out, SL played more conservatively than usual. If you're so much better than your opposition, why do you need to change your tactics to get a "result" away from home?

I bet he also expects the final score in the second leg to be 9-2 using the whole "well if we beat Seattle 6-1, and they beat Toronto 3-1..." argument.

cochrdoc
03-29-2012, 04:37 AM
The boys played a good game.Even the guys who regularly get roasted on the boards.If we can play with that passion we can make the play-offs.I hope we go down to Mexico and crunch a few of those guys from Santo`s and show them what a real foul is.I have never seen guys go down so soft.

TFCBarrie
03-29-2012, 07:05 AM
Great result. I'd be hard pressed to find one player on the pitch last night who didn't look like they belonged out there. Soolsma, Lambe and Morgan were the difference makers for me and the consistency of Soolsma is tremendous, he's always good, he's always tricky and he's always supporting the attack the way a winger should.

CoachGT
03-29-2012, 07:15 AM
Last night was one of the most entertaining games I've seen at BMO in a long time!

Santos is a quality team, as could be seen by their passing (pinpoint in many cases) and their first touch control of the ball. No surprise that they were able to patiently wait and get the first goal, but it was equally as impressive to see TFC carry a lot more of the game that I expected and play some very good, watchable football.

Winter was correct, that could have been a win with a little better luck in a few circumstances - TFC certainly earned their chances!

Back line was generally solid and TFC were able to put together stretches of passes and longer possession, while eliminating the high line defending that we've seen already this year a couple of times.

If they play like that throughout the year, they will earn some results!

ensco
03-29-2012, 07:16 AM
This was an interesting and amusing post in Ives' game commentary right after the game, from a Santos fan in Mexico...

So I came here to see what you guys thought of the game but let me tell you, in Mexico we saw a localist ref that was letting everything go by. Nobody expected better from an MLS ref.

Never mind the two plays, one per side which were really close to being penalty kicks. What we saw was constant, blatant violent tackles which should have been kept in check by the ref, when he finally carded a player it was a Santos player (Crosas) in a play which was waaaaaay less violent than a lot of the Toronto fouls.

The first red card should have been on both sides, your player just came straight in to kick the Santos player, the ball was totally out of his reach. This left the Santos players really mad, you could see it in the very next play when Quintero was called for a foul when he had been pushed around 4 or 5 times in about 10 meters, IN THE SAME PLAY, Quintero was already hot and protested really loudly. He should have been carded but the ref had no control of the game anymore.

By the time the final play came, more fouls, including one on Suarez that was yet another play where a Toronto player should have been carded (can't tell you who the players are, I know 2 or 3 of them), the game was totally out of control. Quintero was fouled, he responded and, as always happens in these cases, only the second foul was noticed by the side judge. Quintero was, probably correctly, red carded.

Everyone down here knew the fight was coming, the ref made sure it would happen, the TV commentators mentioned it as well. BTW, the detonator of the fight was the Toronto trainer who touched Quintero. If players from Santos are banned, that trainer and the ref need to be banned as well And WTH was security doing ON the field? That only happens in 3rd-rate leagues. That was a provocation as well.

canadian_bhoy
03-29-2012, 07:21 AM
Gotta be the most entertaining TFC match ever at BMO. Certainly the most entertaining tie I've ever seen (except Dichio's equalizer against NE).
Thought Soolsma, Johnson and JDG were all top notch. Kocic made a few saves he had no business making - and the Santos keeper did the same.

And what the fuck? A really well refereed match? He let them play, got in when he had to and then tightened up at the end in the hopes it wouldn't get out of control.

Oldtimer
03-29-2012, 07:32 AM
While I wouldn't describe his performance tonight as playing above his contract, Julian did show up tonight.

It would be hard to "play above his contract," :lol: but JDG had a DP-worthy performance, one of a handful in his time here.

The worse they think TFC is, the better.

Agreed, I'd add that it won't be a blowout like Seattle had. TFC will certainly continue to play a compact game, and hope to score on the counter.

maninb
03-29-2012, 07:34 AM
Both Santos cards we completely LEGIT....

ensco
03-29-2012, 07:38 AM
Also in the Ives comment blog:

Headline from mediotiempo.com:
Santos played against 12 and ended with 9. MLS referees do not belong in international competitions.

ensco
03-29-2012, 07:39 AM
Winter and the team got it exactly right. They took Santos physically to the edge, without going over it.

They have to play the same game in Torreon, and it'll be incredibly hostile. Who is the ref next Wednesday night?

Greatest Ripoff
03-29-2012, 07:40 AM
This game was all I ever wanted out of being a TFC fan.

Being at BMO tonight was great. The play on the field, all the supporter in every stands, the weather, it being a champs league semi final, it just made it a really special night. I'll take 3-0 home openers loses for the rest of my life if I can get to attend a few more matches at BMO like this.

jabbronies
03-29-2012, 07:48 AM

It's not a hate on, it's a fact of what was happening on the pitch. he was beat at least 3 times before he got injured and subbed. Glad he scored, not complaining about that.

Ageroo
03-29-2012, 07:52 AM
What a great scrappy match. Glad the boys did not give up after going down a goal. Lots of players looked dangerous for us out there. Soolsma is so deceptively slow, but his technical ability was superb last night. I really was astonished how he easily got around defenders and threw in crosses. As for Reggie Lambe....I am definitely starting to see what Mariner saw in him...even if you couple in the San jose game for him he looks like he can be a very dangerous player. Good touches last night, great work effort as well.....I like him and Johnson on the wings and then inserting Plata as a sub.

Lambe and Plata will have to be huge next in next week's match....I must say as well I was pleasantly surprised at Maund. Made some spectacular defensive plays, but almost cost us a penalty, but I'll rack that up to inexperience :). That being said I like his upside.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-29-2012, 07:53 AM
It's not a hate on, it's a fact of what was happening on the pitch. he was beat at least 3 times before he got injured and subbed. Glad he scored, not complaining about that.

i gotta say i dont remember seeing any of these, not that they didnt happen. i certainly felt more comfortable with him out there than harden. Also thought he might have been subbed so he could play saturday. As someone else mentioned he had a slight knock.

Red Rat
best part yesterday happened when "I found My Drum Head" yes the one that the idiots at BMO lost last year. The rest was just icing on the cake

TFCBarrie

You're absolutely right, he did get beat a couple of times and had a few sloppy moments, but I do think he can still be something of quality in this league. 6 games is not enough to judge a new player in a new league completely, and partnered with Cann or Williams, I think he could be a decent to good centre half in MLS.

Juanito
03-29-2012, 07:58 AM
D.F.M. kids. I've been saying it for years.

rowjimi
03-29-2012, 08:05 AM
Hats off to the supporters sections. You guys rocked the stadium and the atmoshpere was top notch. I agree with a lot of posts. Boys played like a unit and moved the ball well. Should have had at least one more goal but the draw was well earned. Tough game next week but a least we are heading there with an opportunity to move on.

Detroit_TFC
03-29-2012, 08:06 AM
I'm not bothered by Herc Gomez's comments one bit. In fact, the players should print them out and put them on the bulletin board in the dressing room. Let it be a bit of motivation as they prep for the Torreon leg.

As for reffing, there are differences on how games are reffed in MLS and in Mexico, and elsewhere in Concacaf. MLS teams have been complaining about this for years. Maybe they should use Conmebol refs and every one would be unhappy.

canadian_bhoy
03-29-2012, 08:09 AM
I actually thought it was one of the best refereed matches I've ever seen at BMO field. I know the sweethearts of North American soccer don't like the argy bargy, but it was nice to see the referee let men play the game the way it should be. Just because someone falls down, doesn't mean it's a foul. Just because someone gets munched doesn't mean that it's a foul.

I'm willing to let an uncalled little shove from behind go if it means that the game can be strong and physical. He let men play and clamped down when it got too hot at the end.

If Ives has a problem with entertaining, physical football, I'm sure there are plenty of matches in South America where the ref will be more than happy to whistle every flop, flip, flounder and stumble.

But for me - last night was the game as it should be.

tfc2008
03-29-2012, 08:19 AM
Koevermans Yellow cost return Champions League thursday, March 29, 2012 Toronto spits Danny Koevermans will the return of the semi-finals in the fight for the CONCACAF Champions League have to miss. His yellow card in the first duel against Santos Laguna (1-1) gives him a suspension. The former PSV'there responded last night (Dutch time) furious when the arbitrator him in the 36th minute allow Spidey on the ticket.

Juanito
03-29-2012, 08:22 AM
Here's a snippit from the Mexican media:

El partido transcurrió como se esperaba, con el Toronto FC poniendo el mayor desgaste físico para contrarrestar la inferioridad técnica que hay en sus jugadores con relación a los del equipo lagunero, que siempre estuvo bien posicionado en el campo.

The match play out as expected, with Toronto FC being the more physical side to counterbalance their technical inferiority in their players with respect to the lagunero team, whom were well positioned throughout the pitch.

http://impreso.milenio.com/node/9137522

D.F.M.

ryan
03-29-2012, 08:22 AM
Very proud of their effort, disappointing we couldn't turn it into 2 or 3 goals though.

Considering our past, I don't see why we can't go into Torreon and get a draw.

fiji_blue
03-29-2012, 08:25 AM
i actually thought it was one of the best refereed matches i've ever seen at bmo field. I know the sweethearts of north american soccer don't like the argy bargy, but it was nice to see the referee let men play the game the way it should be. Just because someone falls down, doesn't mean it's a foul. Just because someone gets munched doesn't mean that it's a foul.

I'm willing to let an uncalled little shove from behind go if it means that the game can be strong and physical. He let men play and clamped down when it got too hot at the end.

If ives has a problem with entertaining, physical football, i'm sure there are plenty of matches in south america where the ref will be more than happy to whistle every flop, flip, flounder and stumble.

100% agree

jabbronies
03-29-2012, 08:27 AM
i gotta say i dont remember seeing any of these, not that they didnt happen. i certainly felt more comfortable with him out there than harden. Also thought he might have been subbed so he could play saturday. As someone else mentioned he had a slight knock.

Agree with you 100% I pick him over Harden any day.
He was subbed because of injury.

jabbronies
03-29-2012, 08:29 AM
I actually thought it was one of the best refereed matches I've ever seen at BMO field. I know the sweethearts of North American soccer don't like the argy bargy, but it was nice to see the referee let men play the game the way it should be. Just because someone falls down, doesn't mean it's a foul. Just because someone gets munched doesn't mean that it's a foul.

If Ives has a problem with entertaining, physical football, I'm sure there are plenty of matches in South America where the ref will be more than happy to whistle every flop, flip, flounder and stumble.

I agree with this. Makes the game more entertaining and the players stop relying on theatrics to win a game and focus on the football instead.

Roogsy
03-29-2012, 08:31 AM
best part yesterday happened when "I found My Drum Head" yes the one that the idiots at BMO lost last year. The rest was just icing on the cake

Where was it?

jabbronies
03-29-2012, 08:32 AM
You're absolutely right, he did get beat a couple of times and had a few sloppy moments, but I do think he can still be something of quality in this league. 6 games is not enough to judge a new player in a new league completely, and partnered with Cann or Williams, I think he could be a decent to good centre half in MLS.

Don't disagree here either. Someone asked why he was subbed off, I said it could've been because of his play - but it wasn't it was because of his injury.

Not judging him overall - I'm just stating what i saw last night as a possible factor for his substitution. which obviously wasn't the case.

ForeverTFC
03-29-2012, 08:41 AM
Saw Aceval after the game. He said he felt a pinch in his hammy. Nothing too serious, but has to see how he feels today.

Also spoke with Ashtone a little bit. Had a nice bump (golf ball size) right above/beside his left eyebrow.

Razor
03-29-2012, 08:45 AM
Hats off to the lads for an entertaining match. Best time I've had at BMO in quite a while.

Soolsma MOTM in my opinion. Not sure why Winter subbed him off.

I think we can get the result next week.

C'mon you mighty Reds!!

TFC Cityboy
03-29-2012, 08:46 AM
Salazar is likely the best ref in the MLS (not a massive achievement admittedly).
Some standout performances from players such as JDG and Dunfield who didn't show up on the weekend. JDG always does best in CCL matches- suits his style more.
Soolsma - wow - constant threat all night - reminds me of Liverpools's Dirk Kuyt in his work ethic and ability to chase all night - gets some key goals too.
Would fault Aceval again for their goal- surely Gomez was his man and he was not goalside of him from what I saw. Crackin free kick to make up for it tho.

Miracles happen, the dirty cheating Sontos will be missing key players (as will we), but if we keep it tight , survive the first 20 minutes and build on that in the 2nd leg, you never know.

South stand just rocking last night too- well done everyone- great night and I will officially declare that teh away end at Oldham is no longer the coldest place on Earth!

Jack
03-29-2012, 08:46 AM
Hats off to the lads for an entertaining match. Best time I've had at BMO in quite a while.

Soolsma MOTM in my opinion. Not sure why Winter subbed him off.

I think we can get the result next week.

C'mon you mighty Reds!!
Soolsma was looking a bit out of gas. I think bringing on a fresh Plata to run at them was an alright decision, even though he didn't seem to make the most of it.

tfc007
03-29-2012, 08:53 AM
Not impressed with santos laculo,But very impressed with the performance of the TFC even ty harden looked goood! WOW big turn around from the san jose game! Keep it up boys!

FIAF
03-29-2012, 08:53 AM
What happened in the end? Did our player do a Busquets?

TOBOR !
03-29-2012, 08:57 AM
If this match played out exaclty as it did, but in Mexico, the result would be decidedly different. There would have been at least one penalty awarded to SL, and no doubt Eck would have received the red card, rather than the other way around. Plus some non-calls that would definitely be called SL's way. Add to that the initimidation from the crowd and we're looking at a totally different scoreline.

ryan
03-29-2012, 08:58 AM
When I look at the stats of Leg 1 Santos/Seattle and Leg 1 Santos/Toronto, it appears Toronto put forth the better showing despite the score line.

When I look at the stats of Leg 2 Santos/Seattle...I don't see a total beating anywhere but the final score line, while that's all that matters I still think it's worth noting the stat line wasn't lopsided. We will get chances to score, and we will have to stop them when they get theirs. I don't believe for a single second we're just going to get run over simply because we're in Mexico. Of course the score line is all that matters, but there's no reason to suggest we have no chance.

I wonder what it would take to get some doubters to actually believe? We weren't supposed to get out of the group stage, but we went to Dallas and did it anyways. We weren't supposed to beat LA home or away, but we showed up in both games and got it done anyways. We were supposed to get creamed by the super Mexicans, even at home, but we drew and had the scoreline read something like 3-1 nobody would have said it was undeserved or lucky.

If you don't think this club doesn't believe they can go anywhere in this region and get a result they want, you're crazy. They have continued to go to tough places throughout this entire competition and do well.

@ FCE - 4-0
@ VAN - 1-1
@ Esteli - 2-1
@ Tauro - 2-1
@ Pumas - 0-4
@ Dallas - 3-0
@ LA - 2-1

We are 5-1-1 as a road team in this CCL run. We're not afraid to go play anywhere and lets not forget that one loss @ Pumas....Iro, Borman, Harden and Viator were our defenders in an entirely different form than we play today.

CMON YOU REDS!

Waggy
03-29-2012, 09:01 AM
So in the past 5 days, Canada beat the US in the US in a major tournament, and TFC drew the top club in Mexico without Frings, Frei and Henry. I. I. I'm just so happy. If we can go 1-1-1 against Mexico this week, I'll shit my pants.

canadian_bhoy
03-29-2012, 09:13 AM
Should a yelled "Go Back To Springfield" last night.

http://simpsonsscreenshots.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/santoslhalper.png

__wowza
03-29-2012, 09:26 AM
Terribly disappointed.

you can't please everyone all the time.
and right now, all of these people happen to be on the boards.

we were pegged at what, 7:1 odds to tie? gimmie a break.

Jack
03-29-2012, 09:30 AM
Terribly disappointed. Silva better be dead or dying to not appear. We were pretty much finished after the away goal conceded, would've needed at least 3 goals back to have a chance, and we knew that was never going to happen. Even a one goal victory would've given some semblance of hope, but the result is useless.
By rights we shouldn't even be playing these games, so I'll take the result against the top team in Mexico, especially while we're playing without Frings. There was fire in our guys tonight, which has been sorely lacking at times.

Super
03-29-2012, 09:38 AM
By rights we shouldn't even be playing these games, so I'll take the result against the top team in Mexico, especially while we're playing without Frings. There was fire in our guys tonight, which has been sorely lacking at times.

1-1 result may prove to be better than a 1-0 win. Why? Because now we are forced to go to Mexico and play attacking football. We can't just sit back and go there with a defensive strategy in mind. It may not matter in the end because Santos is incredibly dangerous at home, but I still think we'll be better off not sitting back for 90 minutes. I guess we'll see next Wednesday. Either way I have hope!

Joe Kool
03-29-2012, 09:38 AM
Loved the game last night. Glad the ref didn't fall for all the crap Santos dished out with dives and whatnot. In Mexico, the ref may play to the crowd a bit methinks. This is my second year with season tickets in the south stand and it was the first time that the stand was bouncing under my feet that I could remember. Lots of fun but cold as hell. I thawed out around 11:30 finally. Hopefully Winter does the right thing like he did in preseason against Vancouver and play as much of the bench players as possible on Saturday. We need as many fresh legs as we can get. Also, maybe give Rowe a chance in net to save Kocic. If it means a win in Mexico I am backing whatever we need to do. All the Mexican players and fans saying "just wait til you get to Mexico"...well, I can't wait as well. Let's get it on!

ManUtd4ever
03-29-2012, 09:40 AM
I felt that the boys left it all on the pitch last night, and for that reason, I left BMO Field satisfied as a supporter and paying customer. If someone had told me in advance that the match would have ended a 1-1 draw, I probably would have gladly taken it.

However, I couldn't help but feel somewhat disappointed with the result. TFC surprisingly had an edge in overall possession and created more quality scoring chances than Santos Laguna, but bad bounces, quality goalkeeping, and lack of finishing prevented our boys from earning a victory that they rightfully deserved.

In retrospect, TFC handled the top club in Mexico better than anyone could have anticipated, but they also squandered a glorious opportunity to take an aggregate lead into Mexico.

KRO
03-29-2012, 09:44 AM
Great game last night and great atmosphere.
We relocated to the front row of the North stand last season and were generally surrounded by tourists.
It was a real bonus this season for our season tickets to drop in price and a bigger bonus that the atmosphere around us now much better.
Everyone was standing for corners and free kicks and there was some real coordinated chanting going on. Let's hope the same thing starts happening in MLS matches.

TOBOR !
03-29-2012, 09:45 AM
1-1 result may prove to be better than a 1-0 win. Why? Because now we are forced to go to Mexico and play attacking football. We can't just sit back and go there with a defensive strategy in mind. It may not matter in the end because Santos is incredibly dangerous at home, but I still think we'll be better off not sitting back for 90 minutes. I guess we'll see next Wednesday. Either way I have hope!Spot on.

Jack
03-29-2012, 09:46 AM
1-1 result may prove to be better than a 1-0 win. Why? Because now we are forced to go to Mexico and play attacking football. We can't just sit back and go there with a defensive strategy in mind. It may not matter in the end because Santos is incredibly dangerous at home, but I still think we'll be better off not sitting back for 90 minutes. I guess we'll see next Wednesday. Either way I have hope!

I agree. We have to go after it in Torreon.

Ageroo
03-29-2012, 09:48 AM
If not for Sanchez in goal for Santos I think we would have won the match. He definitely saved their bacon last night....nothing he could do on that free kick as it was perfectly placed.

Chris Wren
03-29-2012, 09:53 AM
Great night, very exciting game. Santos are a classless team, an absolute disgrace to the game. I would like to note the strong game by Maund. He came on and really played well. Reggie Lambe was very strong also. He deserves a nod for a great effort, winning many battles and contributing to our several corners. Others have pointed out Ecks, Soolsma and JDG. JDG had the best pass I've seen in all the games at BMO, with that 75 yard low curling rocket into the wind hitting Johnson or Lambe on the run. Amazing.

TOBOR !
03-29-2012, 09:58 AM
I just wish we had consistent, decent delivery in from the wings and corners / set pieces. It seems to me that the well placed cross or pass is the exception rather than the rule. Corners are repeatedly driven into the feet of the first defender. Free kicks headed away at the edge of the box or hopelessly sailing into touch. GAH !

jabbronies
03-29-2012, 09:58 AM

Agree with this

If we were up 2-1 I could see our boys playing that stupid 10 men behind the ball crap
This way we go in strong.

jabbronies
03-29-2012, 10:01 AM
We relocated to the front row of the North stand last season and were generally surrounded by tourists.
It was a real bonus this season for our season tickets to drop in price and a bigger bonus that the atmosphere around us now much better.
Everyone was standing for corners and free kicks and there was some real coordinated chanting going on. Let's hope the same thing starts happening in MLS matches.

Glad to hear this. I was wondering why the North end was so stacked. Cheaper tickets = sold out sections!
You could see on the West stand the biggest drop in attendance were the expensive seats.

jabbronies
03-29-2012, 10:02 AM
I just wish we had consistent, decent delivery in from the wings and corners / set pieces. It seems to me that the well placed cross or pass is the exception rather than the rule. Corners are repeatedly driven into the feet of the first defender. Free kicks headed away at the edge of the box or hopelessly sailing into touch. GAH !

The wind play a big factor last night IMO

Yohan
03-29-2012, 10:02 AM
Agree with this

If we were up 2-1 I could see our boys playing that stupid 10 men behind the ball crap
This way we go in strong.
Seattle thought they could go toe to toe with Santos at Torreon too. Preki ball, and hope to nick a goal for a 1-0 win

DaBandit
03-29-2012, 10:03 AM

I watched it a couple of times last night and he was NOT offside, Harden was standing in the middle of the pitch like a statue and keep in onside...

spark
03-29-2012, 10:04 AM

Great point. Seattle learned a harsh lesson winning at home probably thinking they could have fewer bodies at the back and that their attack would still be potent, and could save them, in Mexico. Toronto have already gotten slaughtered in Mexico City this year so hopefully the lesson has already been learned. A team that was arguably nowhere near as good as this one went into the Cruz Azul away match and got a result so hopefully we get the approach right.

DaBandit
03-29-2012, 10:09 AM
Oh man, I think Morgan may be something special. First he totally handled Donovan (who also gave Morgan a late cheap shot behind the play late at Skydome, not many saw it) now this game ... the guy is the fastest man on the pitch, and strong (seriously muscling guys off the ball shoulder to shoulder). He is beating guys at the highest level.

I totally agree that this kid could be something special.. extremely quick and very athletic.. My fear is that he won't be with us very long.. As soon as someone offers some cash to ML$E he will be gone.. To bad really..

Joe Kool
Seattle thought they could go toe to toe with Santos at Torreon too. Preki ball, and hope to nick a goal for a 1-0 win

That's what the Sounders fans keep saying on the MLS CCL reports. "Just wait until TFC get to Mexico. We had a 2-1 lead and it didn't help. They will see." Not an exact quote but the basic sentiment of their comments. I am sure they would love TFC to screw up so they can feel better about their team and the fact that it is just impossible to get a result in Mexico. I certainly hope TFC continue to surprise and I think they just might be able to pull it off.

PopePouri
The away goal means nothing because both these teams will not and cannot play to a nil-nil draw next week.

DaBandit
03-29-2012, 10:12 AM
Very entertaining match. With Frings I agree TFC could have won. This match however was pretty even but I still give the edge to Santos as the team that had the better chances to win as well as being the bigger douchebags.

Really?? I thought Dunfield's chance and more so Johnson's chance were better then anything they generated in the second half..

KGH
03-29-2012, 10:15 AM
Not that this adds much to the arguement but its more for my curiosity. I want to try to understand our payroll vs. the other teams left in the CCL. The closest I could get was market value on transfermarket. But it paints a very nice underdog position and we should all be proud of the perfromance so far:

Toronto: $9.9M euro value
http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/toronto-fc/startseite/verein_11141.html

Santos Laguna:$26.5M euro value
http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/santos-laguna/startseite/verein_1403.html

Monterrey: $34.5M euro value
http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/cf-monterrey/startseite/verein_2407.html

Pumas: $18M euro value
http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/unam-pumas/startseite/verein_7633.html

Also just for fun the other 4 teams booted in the quarters:

LA: $13.5M euro value
http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/los-angeles-galaxy/startseite/verein_1061.html

Seattle: $12M euro value
http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/seattle-sounders-fc/startseite/verein_9636.html

Monarcas: $27M euro value
http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/monarcas-morelia/startseite/verein_5623.html

Metapan: $ No value on most players.
http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/a-d-isidro-metapan/startseite/verein_11167.html

Ageroo
03-29-2012, 10:16 AM
I actually liked Gomez before this match.......and he came into the city praising it and he looked like a nice chap.....not so much anymore. Don't like his tweets last night and this one in particular....

From this article on MLS site....http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/03/29/kick-tfc-santos-ccl-match-gets-ugly-and-field

Gomez was left amused by the reactions he witnessed after the final whistle: “The opponent celebrating (at home) for having tied us in a home-and-home semifinal? How nice. (http://twitter.com/herculezg/status/185215156379332608) #90left,” he wrote in a Spanish-language tweet.

jabbronies
03-29-2012, 10:20 AM

If it works sure - but I don't like the idea of having them come at us wave after wave after wave. We don't have a strong enough defense to hold that back for 90mins.
Maybe with Frings it could happen, but not without him. there has to be a balance me thinks. Definatly not all out attack - we aren't good enough o maintain that, but defiantly not 10 men back.

mastermixer
03-29-2012, 10:24 AM
Torreon does not sound like a fun place to visit, or play soccer in.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/laplaza/2011/08/stadium-shooting-mexico-soccer-futbol-panic-game.html

Yohan
03-29-2012, 10:29 AM
That's what the Sounders fans keep saying on the MLS CCL reports. "Just wait until TFC get to Mexico. We had a 2-1 lead and it didn't help. They will see." Not an exact quote but the basic sentiment of their comments. I am sure they would love TFC to screw up so they can feel better about their team and the fact that it is just impossible to get a result in Mexico. I certainly hope TFC continue to surprise and I think they just might be able to pull it off.
MLS teams have gotten results in Mexico, although never in knock out stage.

I still think Santos Laguna was playing at about 75% last night, and they will bring it on Wed. Their passing last night was so good, and it was some super human last ditch defending that saved TFC.

ryan
03-29-2012, 10:38 AM
Torreon does not sound like a fun place to visit, or play soccer in.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/laplaza/2011/08/stadium-shooting-mexico-soccer-futbol-panic-game.html

Quite a crazy video to see the players tear off the field and hearing all the gunfire.

Huyton
03-29-2012, 10:42 AM

Any chance of getting The Massive going with Section 127?

ryan
03-29-2012, 10:45 AM
If it works sure - but I don't like the idea of having them come at us wave after wave after wave. We don't have a strong enough defense to hold that back for 90mins.
Maybe with Frings it could happen, but not without him. there has to be a balance me thinks. Definatly not all out attack - we aren't good enough o maintain that, but defiantly not 10 men back.

What's a more likely result?

2-2 or 1-0 for us?

I don't see us blanking them, but I think we can limit them to scoring 1-2 goals. If we sit back and give them 25 shots, we're asking for trouble. We can cut out some of those shots/chances by playing offence and controlling the football.

We're the away side now, the goals are in our favour if we can get to 2 because we win the tiebreak at that point. I'd be playing for a high scoring draw/win than hoping we can survive an onslaught.

TFCBarrie
03-29-2012, 10:47 AM
MLS teams have gotten results in Mexico, although never in knock out stage.

I still think Santos Laguna was playing at about 75% last night, and they will bring it on Wed. Their passing last night was so good, and it was some super human last ditch defending that saved TFC.

This seems to be the "go-to" reason why TFC wins anytime they beat anyone. Dallas was tired from a busy schedule,LA was out of shape and not unified, Santos Laguna was only playing at 75%.

When are we just going to say that TFC are earning their way through this tournament and giving everything they have against these teams? Yohan, this is not directed at you, your post just got me thinking about this, and even IF these are the facts, and these teams are tired, or lazy or only playing 75% for some reason, so are we. We played LA two weeks ago, and then on that saturday and then just last saturday and then last night, and then this weekend, but we're still bringing it and we're still fighting. This is the single-greatest display from a TFC team in the history of this franchise, and it's awesome.

Yohan
03-29-2012, 10:51 AM
This seems to be the "go-to" reason why TFC wins anytime they beat anyone. Dallas was tired from a busy schedule,LA was out of shape and not unified, Santos Laguna was only playing at 75%.

When are we just going to say that TFC are earning their way through this tournament and giving everything they have against these teams? Yohan, this is not directed at you, your post just got me thinking about this, and even IF these are the facts, and these teams are tired, or lazy or only playing 75% for some reason, so are we. We played LA two weeks ago, and then on that saturday and then just last saturday and then last night, and then this weekend, but we're still bringing it and we're still fighting. This is the single-greatest display from a TFC team in the history of this franchise, and it's awesome.
I think it is a fact that the cold chilly windy condition did have an affect on Santos Laguna.

I want to be optimistic about TFC as much as possible, but the practical reality is that FMF teams at home are pretty darn near impossible to beat.

But until the game is played, who knows what will happen. Up the Reds

Carts
03-29-2012, 10:55 AM

100% spot on...

We're coming Santos - like the HAMMERS OF HELL WE'RE COMING...!!!

Duct Tape
03-29-2012, 10:55 AM
I think it is a fact that the cold chilly windy condition did have an affect on Santos Laguna.

I want to be optimistic about TFC as much as possible, but the practical reality is that FMF teams at home are pretty darn near impossible to beat.

While i agree with everything being said about Mexican teams being damn near impossible to beat in Mexico, and their recent history in Torreon of destroying Montreal and Seattle aside....

Wise man once say "The Ball is Round, anything can happen" and i choose to live in hope that miracles for the Reds can continue to happen. Don't know if its likely, wouldn't lay money on it, but living in hope is a good thing, and i want to believe that this team has improved and can get the job done.

Gazza
03-29-2012, 10:58 AM
I see us playing the same way we did against LA in the second leg. A few heart attacks for TFC fans for sure.

Almost certain we will lose, i just hope we show up and give a great effort. Not to mention, the ref selection will decide how entertaining of a match this will be.

Huyton
03-29-2012, 10:59 AM
Ye Gods, I'm loving this run.

I can't understand the empty seats, though...isn't this what you dream of as a supporter? Nights like this? What does it take to fill this stadium?

There wasn't a single true supporter of any other team in North America who wouldn't have given a gonad to be in our place.

TFCBarrie
03-29-2012, 11:07 AM

Yeah, it probably did, i'll agree with you on that. Mexican teams rarely ever play in conditions like last night, and they will absolutely be a different team at home, but I think TFC has a chance, based on the fact that they haven't limped around and keeled over for anyone in the CCL yet, the fighting spirit is alive and well in this team (in the CCL).

Juanito
03-29-2012, 11:08 AM
I am super-happy with TFC's run in the CCL. They're still in it and we should all be massively proud for what they have accomplished.

Hérculez Gómez can lick my balls.

T-boy
03-29-2012, 11:10 AM
did anybody actually SEE what happened with Morgan at the end? I was looking totally in the wrong place, and by the time I looked across, I just saw the two players lieing on the ground. I initially thought that they just ran into each other. Was anybody looking and can describe what actually happened?

ouderwien
03-29-2012, 11:11 AM
Ye Gods, I'm loving this run.

I can't understand the empty seats, though...isn't this what you dream of as a supporter? Nights like this? What does it take to fill this stadium?

There wasn't a single true supporter of any other team in North America who wouldn't have given a gonad to be in our place.

It was pretty self-evident when you look at which seats were empty. It all comes down to pricing.

spark
03-29-2012, 11:35 AM
It was pretty self-evident when you look at which seats were empty. It all comes down to pricing.

It's funny that is mentioned because from the east stand - you could see the DISTINCT difference of where ticket prices go up (so 125 across to ... 121?) and in 200 there's 3 sections in the middle - and the sections around them were full, but they were totally sparse.

KRO
03-29-2012, 11:36 AM
Any chance of getting The Massive going with Section 127?
That sounds like a plan.
Anyone else on here from the North Stand?

Detroit_TFC
03-29-2012, 11:44 AM
The pot is really boiling after this match, it's awesome.

Canary10
03-29-2012, 11:44 AM
did anybody actually SEE what happened with Morgan at the end? I was looking totally in the wrong place, and by the time I looked across, I just saw the two players lieing on the ground. I initially thought that they just ran into each other. Was anybody looking and can describe what actually happened?

I CLEARLY saw what happened, it was directly in front of my seat. Morgan clocked him when no one was looking. Looked like a forearm across his head. I actually thought the linesman would call a PK because it was in the box. Inexplicably he didn't seem to see it. He kind of half went down and Morgan appeared to be taunting him a bit and he swung at Morgan, who dropped a like a ton of bricks. That's what the ref saw and it got called. Morgan suckered him into that red card, no question about it. I was as proud as if I'd have done it myself (and I would). I just hope the first part wasn't caught on film or Morgan may find himself out of the next game too.

Roogsy
03-29-2012, 11:47 AM
I CLEARLY saw what happened, it was directly in front of my seat. Morgan clocked him when no one was looking. Looked like a forearm across his head. I actually thought the linesman would call a PK because it was in the box. Inexplicably he didn't seem to see it. He kind of half went down and Morgan appeared to be taunting him a bit and he swung at Morgan, who dropped a like a ton of bricks. That's what the ref saw and it got called. Morgan suckered him into that red card, no question about it. I was as proud as if I'd have done it myself (and I would). I just hope the first part wasn't caught on film or Morgan may find himself out of the next game too.

:lol:

Awesome.

JonO
03-29-2012, 11:49 AM
I actually thought the linesman would call a PK because it was in the box.
Although I didn't see what happened, I am 99% sure it happened after the final whistle...

Red Rat
03-29-2012, 11:49 AM
whom ever is traveling to Mexico, you are coming back in a body bag!

Canary10
03-29-2012, 11:50 AM
"Although I didn't see what happened, I am 99% sure it happened after the final whistle... "

No way, the play was going on on the other side.

GabrielHurl
03-29-2012, 11:51 AM
No way, the play was going on on the other side.

The game was over - you could see the players pushing each other after the final whistle on TV

Auzzy
03-29-2012, 11:53 AM
I thought it was a headbutt on Morgan?

Canary10
03-29-2012, 11:53 AM
Unless the whistle went well before the fights broke out. Morgan hit him while the play was still going on, well before the fight. But I never heard a whistle at any point so, yeah, maybe.

ensco
03-29-2012, 11:54 AM
^I saw Morgan do it first too. It wasn't subtle.

The funny thing is, Donovan gave Morgan a behind the play shot at the end of the Skygame game. It was the same thing, message sending. I can't help but think that Morgan was thinking about that yesterday...

Morgan has to be careful Wednesday, the refs will be watching him.

rocker
I think it's time for the pro-Santos predictions to end..... it's been done.
All the Twitter smartasses who are saying it will be "12-0" Santos (I saw that on Twitter last night) or the Santos fan who told me last night it would be "8-0" Santos. That's a joke, but how smart do you have to be to predict a Santos win?
I mean come on, it takes more guts to predict a TFC win.. LOL.

I mean the odds are stacked against TFC based on MLS-in-Mexico history. And until, I believe, RSL won in Mexico, it was a graveyard for MLS teams. Yeah, we fucking know it's going to be a big challenge to beat Santos... No need to tell us.

They are the favourites. Just enjoy the game next Wednesday and celebrate the great run this team has had. I've enjoyed it.

Canary10
I didn't see a head butt. I saw him take a swing and kind of wrapped him up. Heads could have hit at that point. But he swung at him for sure. Morgan also made it look good when he went down.

Jack
03-29-2012, 11:55 AM
From what I could tell on TV, the altercation started before the final whistle, then ended after it.

Canary10
03-29-2012, 11:56 AM
^ Yeah that's what I thought. It definitely happened while play was going on on our right side. The fight broke out well after.

Canary10
03-29-2012, 11:57 AM
Someone should, witha wink, ask Morgan what really happened. He knows he suckered him into it and he made it look good when it happened. Respect!

JonO
03-29-2012, 12:01 PM
From someone's account here (I don't remember who), Morgan had a goose egg on his forehead after the game, so he may not have to have had to make it look good.

Yohan
03-29-2012, 12:03 PM
If Morgan instigating the incident is true, we really shouldn't be celebrating unsportsmanship like conduct

Chevy
03-29-2012, 12:03 PM

TFC Barrie, when are we going to say TFC earned anything? For some around here, NEVER. Any bit of success, however small is qualified by the examples you provided in your post. We were missing Torsten Frings last night, the most accomplished player on both sides of the pitch. WE were less than 100% yet nearly pulled out a result against a club near or at the top of the confederation. Not much credit given where credit is due IMHO but it comes with the territory in this place.

The greatest gift that we as supporters can get are more performances like last night. It keeps the barking dogs away! :)

Couchy81
03-29-2012, 12:04 PM
Herc Gomez thinly veiled threats?

“I don't know how much you guys know about our home crowd and the city we live in,” Gomez said, “but it's probably not the smartest idea picking a dogfight.”

http://www.mlssoccer.com/ccl/news/article/2012/03/29/ccl-gomez-issues-warning-laments-postgame-dust

Chevy
03-29-2012, 12:06 PM
whom ever is traveling to Mexico, you are coming back in a body bag!

Yeah, this adds value.

Roogsy
03-29-2012, 12:10 PM
All the Twitter smartasses who are saying it will be "12-0" Santos (I saw that on Twitter last night) or the Santos fan who told me last night it would be "8-0" Santos. That's a joke, but how smart do you have to be to predict a Santos win?

I mean the odds are stacked against TFC based on MLS-in-Mexico history. And until, I believe, RSL won in Mexico, it was a graveyard for MLS teams. Yeah, we fucking know it's going to be a big challenge to beat Santos... No need to tell us.

They are the favourites. Just enjoy the game next Wednesday and celebrate the great run this team has had. I've enjoyed it.

Some of us have been fairly accurate on this run while still maintaining objectivity. I felt positive ahead of the LA game and I called a draw in this last game (although I predicted a 2-2 draw).

It is possible to predict without coming across as a downer or a homer.

But my prediction for the next game is a loss by multiple goals. Not a 10-1 loss but they will put several by us. Probably 3 or 4 goals.

By the way, you had posted earlier that the Gomez goal should have been offside. This video capture says otherwise.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y178/Roogs/santosonside.jpg

Detroit_TFC
03-29-2012, 12:12 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/ccl/news/article/2012/03/29/ccl-morgan-gomez-offer-differing-accounts-brawl

Based on what Canary saw, we may want this to blow over rather than get more attention.

king dave
03-29-2012, 12:15 PM
Watched the game from home and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Great game. Could have been 2-2, 3-3, whatever.
Cherry on top was seeing Koevy applaude the supporters, cut to 112 and this guy.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7085/7027196889_b06a15f163_z.jpg
KD.

ryan
03-29-2012, 12:19 PM
Anyone else believe the culture of Torreon is going to put a twinge of fear into the officials to award style points on their theatrics next week?

Chevy
03-29-2012, 12:22 PM

A+. Like it's a friggin' newsflash that we're up the creek without a paddle playing in Mexico, but hey you gotta believe. At least those of us that WANT to believe in this club. The rest? As Danny says "EAT IT!"

Johnson with two. 2-1 TFC.

Carts
03-29-2012, 12:24 PM
Anyone else believe the culture of Torreon is going to put a twinge of fear into the officials to award style points on their theatrics next week?

It won't matter if the stadium is packed and hostile or empty - a Latin/Caribbean official will officiate a Latin/Caribbean style match...

We had an all American officiating crew last night - and it showed. They not only didn't call or buy the diving and bullshit - they were angered by it!

It definitely helped us... If we have a CONCACAF ref not from the USA, and someone who doesn't do MLS regularly - the diving/flopping/acting bullshit will gain calls, cards, and goals...

Canary10
03-29-2012, 12:27 PM
If Morgan instigating the incident is true, we really shouldn't be celebrating unsportsmanship like conduct

For me that's part of the game. Quintero took it further. He didn't need to and he wouldn't have gotten booked if he hadn't. But we should be the bigger team at this point.

Greatest Ripoff
03-29-2012, 12:28 PM
Some of us have been fairly accurate on this run while still maintaining objectivity. I felt positive ahead of the LA game and I called a draw in this last game (although I predicted a 2-2 draw).

It is possible to predict without coming across as a downer or a homer.

But my prediction for the next game is a loss by multiple goals. Not a 10-1 loss but they will put several by us. Probably 3 or 4 goals.

By the way, you had posted earlier that the Gomez goal should have been offside. This video capture says otherwise.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y178/Roogs/santosonside.jpg

Yeah I don't think it was offside but can you see in that video if he handled the ball when he received the pass?

Greatest Ripoff
03-29-2012, 12:29 PM
That sounds like a plan.
Anyone else on here from the North Stand?

I moved into the North Stand this year. I thought the atmosphere was great.