PDA

View Full Version : Greg Lalas piece on McBride

jloome
07-11-2008, 12:57 PM
http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=771770

I think Lalas is a bit of a tool as a commentator, but there's an interesting point here; if McBride feels the Fire don't want him significantly enough to give up the spotty-performing Chad Barrett, think there's any chance he'd play in Toronto instead? This is about his wife moving home, after all, and she can still do that if he's in TO, with him commuting on weekends. It's only a few hours away, after all.

Broadview
07-11-2008, 01:09 PM
Doesn't McB have to wait until the 15th to sign anyway since his contract expired less than (I can't remember the amount of time) ago anyway?

Not much sense of urgency on Chicago's part then, really. Lots of posturing and negotiating going on I imagine.

I'll bet dollars to donuts something happens in the next week or two with both sides caving a little.

Billy the kid
07-11-2008, 01:09 PM
I predict the Fire will cave soon.

Canary Canuck
07-11-2008, 01:19 PM
At this rate he should just go back to Fulham

S_D
07-11-2008, 03:09 PM
Mo is already on record saying that he only wants 1 player. Lalas has been listening to the fire FO for too long and is getting smoke blown up his ass...

And if any of you have watched the Fire's recent games, all 3 of the mentioned players would be a downgrade on the players we already have. If they are the Fire's future core they are in trouble.

Mapp - out of contract this year
Barrett - Cunnigham part deux
Rolfe - probably the best out of the three but as for him playing well in 2 positions (Forward and Right Mid) that just isn't so. I haven't seen him play as a forward but as a right mid, the quality just isn't there.

If a deal can't be done, it wouldn't be a bad thing just to keep it and block the Fire from getting him this year. Seattle will get the first allocation next year, so they can make the deal and demand a lot or see if they can talk McBride into playing for them.

Either way TFC wins.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-11-2008, 03:17 PM
I may be wrong but if we claim his rights, we own them until he leaves or something like that. It wouldnt matter whether or not he signs this year or next. Like i said, i might be wrong.

Reddevil39
07-11-2008, 03:17 PM
Stick it to the Fire Mo... we owe them nothing!

S_D
07-11-2008, 03:46 PM
I may be wrong but if we claim his rights, we own them until he leaves or something like that. It wouldnt matter whether or not he signs this year or next. Like i said, i might be wrong.

We have first allocation until the end of the season then it resets, so we have his rights until then. Not sure when the actual date is, maybe Jan 1st?

Expansion team automatically gets #1 then by the worst ranked teams.

And anyways I am not too concerned about it. I personally would rather keep McBride out of the league. No point in making the Fire stronger. And if they end up hating us for it, just adds fuel to the rivalry. :D

Kickit09
07-11-2008, 04:36 PM
There is no chance he’s going to play here. I don’t think mcbride really want to play in the MLS, I think he just wants to go home (Chicago) and get a paycheck while he's there. kinda like beckham moving to LA to live there but figures he might as well get a paycheck while he's there...... and i dont see chicago caving in, if anything i can see them crying to MLS and then MLS interfering to get the all american home. If that happens Garber better bring an umbrella and ear plugs to the all-star game.

Damien
07-11-2008, 04:50 PM
I guarantee the Fire won't pass on McBride. They're just trying to play the "poor us" bullshit to get sympathizers from around the league to pressure Mo.

noochie
07-11-2008, 05:40 PM
In light of the Huckerby deal... if we indeed got allocation money and an 'I' slot than Chicago has nothing appealing to offer. I say sit on it and let McBride rot it out this year and into next year as the property of the Sounders.

We are better off with Chicago struggling the way they are... why give them anything? Seriously with the cash available we can sign a player with Mapp/Rolfe quality no problem (and in fact probably better quality). We already have a Barrett... looking for goal 100.

Kickit09
07-11-2008, 05:47 PM
^ in a perfect world

but if Mo doesnt get mcbride to chicago, don gerber will. so Mo needs to get the most he can from chicago before big don steps in.

S_D
07-11-2008, 06:08 PM
I think you over estimate what the MLS can do to step in. It was easier with a few owners but now? I don't know.

I am sure he will offer to mediate (or one of his peons) but as far as I know different ownership groups sit in committees. I can't see any other Eastern Conference teams making it easy for Chicago, nor would they necessarily want to set any precedents.

I am sure most of the teams will want Chicago to pay through the nose for McBride, just so they may have an easier time competing against them during the season and come playoff time.

bignickel
07-11-2008, 11:18 PM
^ in a perfect world

but if Mo doesnt get mcbride to chicago, don gerber will. so Mo needs to get the most he can from chicago before big don steps in.

you've got it all backwards, garber will step in to tell chicago to give up what it takes to get the deal done.

mls will not fuck with mlse, the strongest owner in the league. mo is in a good place right now.

Roogsy
07-11-2008, 11:22 PM
you've got it all backwards, garber will step in to tell chicago to give up what it takes to get the deal done.

mls will not fuck with mlse, the strongest owner in the league. mo is in a good place right now.

Hmmm....I like the way you think. I hope this is true.

bignickel
07-11-2008, 11:34 PM
Hmmm....I like the way you think. I hope this is true.

well, if it is true we can finally praise mlse for something. they tend to get beat up alot in this forum.

regardless, i don't think mls wants to rock the boat in this city. way too much downside.

Derko
07-11-2008, 11:44 PM
Fuck Shitcago!!

noochie
07-12-2008, 09:08 AM

Exactly what I was thinking. MLS has been able to step into these situations in the past for a number of reasons... small fan bases who wouldn't vocalize much opposition coupled with ownership who generally owned multiple teams etc.

Most of the time the benefits (Adu and Donovan primarily) went to the most well-supported teams in the league and the smaller guys were the ones that were shafted and forced to accept it.

This is much different for the reasons that bignickel mentions. It would be very dangerous to alter the rules and screw with this franchise with the league gaining popularity like it is.

By all accounts Mo has made it pretty clear what he is after. If Klopas really wants to get McBride there for a couple of years he needs to grow a pair and complete the deal... you can replace McBride in a couple of years through drafting and trading like every other GM in the league. Enough of this "do the right thing" in the press... this is a business and Mo has to answer to 16,000 season ticket holders and a much larger fan base if Chicago squeaks in on account of McBride contributions.

S_D
07-12-2008, 09:48 AM
how old is Blanco now? He must only have a year or two left before he retires. That leaves a short window of opportunity for them to do something with McBride.

Broadview
07-12-2008, 10:02 AM
how old is Blanco now? He must only have a year or two left before he retires. That leaves a short window of opportunity for them to do something with McBride.

He's and old fart like me. Born in '73.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuauhtémoc_Blanco

Ron Manager
07-12-2008, 10:19 AM
Despite all the possible negatives, there are plenty of positives to keep Chicago pushing for McBride's services. He is a national hero who would provide the Fire with both a world-class finisher -- 32 goals in 139 appearances for Fulham -- and, along with Mexican superstar Cuauhtemoc Blanco, a second huge draw at Toyota Park. If the deal gets done, Chicago would immediately be seen as favorites to win the MLS Cup.

Not bloody likely.

jloome
07-12-2008, 11:09 AM
Oh, the Americans are already saying that, and if they say it, it's true, whether it should be or not. They think McBride Equals http://www.captain-america.us/images/moviestars/rambo_captain_america.jpg

Dirk Diggler
07-12-2008, 11:47 AM
He's going to be playing in the Olympics?

noochie
07-12-2008, 11:49 AM
^ Has not been officially announced yet but the assumption is that he will be one of the three overaged players for the US.

Of course if Toronto and Chicago could work out a deal... he may suddenly not be "needed" any longer at the games.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-12-2008, 03:53 PM
We have first allocation until the end of the season then it resets, so we have his rights until then. Not sure when the actual date is, maybe Jan 1st?

Expansion team automatically gets #1 then by the worst ranked teams.

And anyways I am not too concerned about it. I personally would rather keep McBride out of the league. No point in making the Fire stronger. And if they end up hating us for it, just adds fuel to the rivalry. :D

Wasnt too sure about that, thanks for the clarification.
I guess we might find out this up coming week.
Fingers crossed!

S_D
07-12-2008, 04:03 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if they get together after the game and work out a deal.

McBride > Huckerby so I can't see Mo settling for the same thing as SJ gave us.

Roogsy
07-12-2008, 04:10 PM
True...McBride is an EPL quality striker and not currently injured.

Huckerby is more a Championship level player and his health has come under scrutiny.

San Jose has set the bar, Chicago needs to beat it.

noochie
07-12-2008, 04:17 PM
True...McBride is an EPL quality striker and not currently injured.

Huckerby is more a Championship level player and his health has come under scrutiny.

San Jose has set the bar, Chicago needs to beat it.

Mapp and allocation money/draft pick... outta do it I think :) I am doubtful that it would be Rolfe seeing as how Chicago would be replacing a healthy young striker with an older one... not much benefit there.

Roogsy
07-12-2008, 04:20 PM
Get'r done!

Although to be honest...I would really like Rolfe. It would address our forward issue...that is...if Mo isn't already working on a plan B after the Gomes rejection.