PDA

View Full Version : Huckerby knows the way to San Jose

Juanito
07-11-2008, 12:19 PM
Take a look at this:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=554701&sec=mls&cc=3888

We need to change the BMO pitch to grass. I believe it will become a deterrent for good players and boy, we need them!

Here's the article if you don't want to click:

Former Manchester City striker Darren Huckerby has joined Major League Soccer outfit San Jose Earthquakes.

The 32-year-old signed an 18-month contract with an option for a further two years after his deal with English Coca-Cola Championship side Norwich expired at the end of June.

Huckerby - who scored 34 goals in 162 games for the Canaries - rejected a contract offer from Toronto FC and will join up with his new teammates next week.

The former Newcastle and Coventry striker is now awaiting a work permit which should be confirmed within the next fortnight.

Huckerby's agent Phil Smith insisted the former England B international was fit and ready to play once his documentation was confirmed.

He said: 'He knew a lot of people at Toronto FC with Carl Robinson, who used to be at Norwich, and Englishman Jon Carver also out there as coach.

And the facilities were unbelievable, but he liked the idea of California.

'It is a new experience with a bunch of people he does not know. It is the right sort of challenge at this moment in his career.'

San Jose are without a win in their last five matches and are at the foot of the Western standings.

:mad: me mad!

Boris
07-11-2008, 12:27 PM
^ bah. He'll get injured in 2 ...no maybe 3 games and call it a career in cali. To each their own.

If we get someone a bit older then it should be someone without known injury problems.

Flipityflu
07-11-2008, 12:33 PM
will changing the pitch from arti to grass turn us into California?

Broadview
07-11-2008, 12:34 PM
Any word on compensation? We did have dibs after all.

BigLou
07-11-2008, 12:39 PM
Any word on compensation? We did have dibs after all.
I read somewhere it was allocation money.

Damien
07-11-2008, 12:50 PM
Nice weather year-round, no pressure to win, no fans to boo you incase you suck donkey balls, who wouldnt wanna go to SJ?

Broadview
07-11-2008, 12:54 PM
I read somewhere it was allocation money.

Well that beats a kick in the ass.

Now, what to do with another allocation. What to do, what to do...?

McBrace
07-11-2008, 01:04 PM
They can have him, it sounds like a cash in before retirement to me!

Nuvinho
07-11-2008, 01:06 PM
its allocation money and a international spot.

Tyler Durden
07-11-2008, 01:51 PM

Link? how much mulla$$??

Nuvinho
07-11-2008, 01:59 PM
There is about 2 or 3 threads on the MLS/TFC news section, with a link to the globe & mail article, where it says its allocation money and a international spot.

Broadview
07-11-2008, 02:07 PM
Link? how much mulla$$??

From wiki (I know, I know):http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allocation_(MLS)

In Major League Soccer, an allocation represents an amount of money teams can use to sign players and/or allocate to their salaries to get under the salary cap. Allocations are given to teams that have missed the playoffs the previous seasons, given to expansion teams, or awarded as compensation for players lost. This can be when a player is sold to a foreign club (Brian McBride), left on a free transfer (Clint Mathis), or retired (Preki). Whether the allocation is given, and its size is determined by MLS; the magnitude is not known to the general public.Allocations can be split and traded.
Twice in league history, an allocation received for a lost player was used on same player upon his return to the league: by the Chicago Fire on Ante Razov and by the New England Revolution on Daniel Hernandez.

-----------------------------
I've read before that a full allocation is usually enough to sign a decent starter, $100,000-$120,000ish.

I don't know why these things are shrouded in such mystery. The lack of transparency in league operations is quite frustrating for the fan's point of view and contributes to its bush league image.

Smenge
07-11-2008, 03:14 PM
Mo has the $ and the cap room, to recruit one, or two solid young strikers, and a DP. Now, if only somebody would tell him these players may live somewhere outside of the UK!:(

ExiledRed
07-11-2008, 03:29 PM
The nightmare continues....

Lets just blame Huckerby, and not make any negative comments about 'the future of football surfaces' shall we.

That's logical.

I hope the allocation money can go on an equally good player who has no problems with field turf (yeah, right)

Footie-11
07-11-2008, 03:35 PM
Nice weather year-round, no pressure to win, no fans to boo you incase you suck donkey balls, who wouldnt wanna go to SJ?

Someone who still has alot of passion for the game and not just wanting one last paycheck? Its obvious Hucks' heart doesnt seem to be in it so I'm glad we didn't sign him.

ExiledRed
07-11-2008, 03:43 PM
Someone who still has alot of passion for the game and not just wanting one last paycheck? Its obvious Hucks' heart doesnt seem to be in it so I'm glad we didn't sign him.

yep, bang on, the fieldturf is just an excuse, the reason he doesnt wasn't to play here is all to do with his lack of heart.

:dupe:

giambac
07-11-2008, 04:56 PM
Take a look at this:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=554701&sec=mls&cc=3888

We need to change the BMO pitch to grass. I believe it will become a deterrent for good players and boy, we need them!

Here's the article if you don't want to click:

Former Manchester City striker Darren Huckerby has joined Major League Soccer outfit San Jose Earthquakes.

The 32-year-old signed an 18-month contract with an option for a further two years after his deal with English Coca-Cola Championship side Norwich expired at the end of June.

Huckerby - who scored 34 goals in 162 games for the Canaries - rejected a contract offer from Toronto FC and will join up with his new teammates next week.

The former Newcastle and Coventry striker is now awaiting a work permit which should be confirmed within the next fortnight.

Huckerby's agent Phil Smith insisted the former England B international was fit and ready to play once his documentation was confirmed.

He said: 'He knew a lot of people at Toronto FC with Carl Robinson, who used to be at Norwich, and Englishman Jon Carver also out there as coach.

And the facilities were unbelievable, but he liked the idea of California.

'It is a new experience with a bunch of people he does not know. It is the right sort of challenge at this moment in his career.'

San Jose are without a win in their last five matches and are at the foot of the Western standings.

:mad: me mad!
He is a has been and overated. Also old and slow. We don't need these kind of players. Also, we have enough of Carvers ex players. Lets bring bin some other players who aren't connected.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
07-11-2008, 05:14 PM
He is a has been and overated. Also old and slow. We don't need these kind of players. Also, we have enough of Carvers ex players. Lets bring bin some other players who aren't connected.

Dude..Im willing to bet my life on it..that you have never seen Hucks play EVER!! so why comment on something you know nothing about??

Your negative posts..about TFC are at about 98%...altleaste your consistant!

Mojo
07-11-2008, 05:14 PM
Its funny how he was talking about wanting a California lifestyle... little does he know San Jose is nothing like the California he thinks. Its like comparing Halifax to wanting a Toronto lifestyle.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
07-11-2008, 05:20 PM
Its funny how he was talking about wanting a California lifestyle... little does he know San Jose is nothing like the California he thinks. Its like comparing Halifax to wanting a Toronto lifestyle.

Yip he'll be shocked!:hump:

He's always been the supporters player!.....he was a GOD in Norwich...really!

He dosent really know what he has gotten himself into.....The let down will be tremendous!!

On July 19th he will of wished he could of picked TFC.....we'll make sure of that! :):D

noochie
07-11-2008, 05:21 PM

That is what I keep saying! As someone who ends up in SJ twice a year... it is NOTHING like LA and San Diego. Close flight to those places is about all you get by moving there. Silicon Valley is a bunch of shut-in nerds :)

I like it there still but it ain't LA or SD by a long shot.

rocker
07-11-2008, 05:23 PM
how are the california wild fires these days???

noochie
07-11-2008, 05:25 PM
how are the california wild fires these days???

Calmed a bit since the natural disaster supporters have been humbled and aren't spewing a lot of flammable crap anymore.

kitchener-TFC
07-11-2008, 05:29 PM
Does anyone know the amount of $$?

Anyway's, I hope he'll get used to seeing this:

http://www.gamerevolution.com/images/misc/Image/soccer_mom.jpg
Instead of this:

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/01S55ZOeJzgnp/610x.jpg

Kickit09
07-11-2008, 05:44 PM
the way to san jose is paved in dollar bills

giambac
07-11-2008, 09:41 PM
Dude..Im willing to bet my life on it..that you have never seen Hucks play EVER!! so why comment on something you know nothing about??

Your negative posts..about TFC are at about 98%...altleaste your consistant!

He's 32 (old), he's slow (history of hip problems) and he isn't a striker (has been playing wing for Norwich). what else do you need to know? Like I said he is a has been, overatred, slow and old. we don't need these jkind of players. we don't need anymore of Carver's ex players.

Bars92
07-12-2008, 01:55 AM
He just wanted to live in Cali. Good for him.

CretanBull
07-12-2008, 03:24 AM
He's 32 (old), he's slow (history of hip problems) and he isn't a striker (has been playing wing for Norwich). what else do you need to know? Like I said he is a has been, overatred, slow and old. we don't need these jkind of players. we don't need anymore of Carver's ex players.

You have no idea what you are talking about. None. There were at least a half dozen teams in England - including Premiership side Sunderland (and I think Roy Keane is a better judge of a player's value than you are) wanted to sign him but he refused to play in England because he said he'd never play a game against Norwich City. He has played on the wing recently, but he has plenty of experience as a striker. With our mid-field feeding him the ball, he'd tear this league apart.

CretanBull
07-12-2008, 03:25 AM
He just wanted to live in Cali. Good for him.

He publicly stated that he didn't like our turf, ultimately that's why he's not playing for us. Our loss.

tfc007
07-12-2008, 06:19 AM
Fuck him, We want players that want to be here.As far as I am concerned I allready have forgoten the CUNT?

giambac
07-12-2008, 09:23 AM
You have no idea what you are talking about. None. There were at least a half dozen teams in England - including Premiership side Sunderland (and I think Roy Keane is a better judge of a player's value than you are) wanted to sign him but he refused to play in England because he said he'd never play a game against Norwich City. He has played on the wing recently, but he has plenty of experience as a striker. With our mid-field feeding him the ball, he'd tear this league apart.

Please,

Like I said he is old 32. We need younger players for the DP position. Like I said he ha sbeen playing the wing lately. Also has a history of hip problems and we can't take a risk on players with injury problems. If he is so good why didn't Norwich re sign him???? Correct me if i'm wrong but didn't Norwich just baely clinch a spot for the Championship league last season. They are a weak side and if he can't play for them it tells you all you need to know.

Our Dp slot has to be for a younger, fitter and better palyer. I don't want another Dicchio.

MUFC_Niagara
07-12-2008, 09:27 AM
It really seems to just wanted to be in California....the turf seems like just an excuse

ExiledRed
07-12-2008, 09:32 AM
Fuck him, We want players that want to be here.As far as I am concerned I allready have forgoten the CUNT?

currently the 'fuck him' list is getting a bit long

Kiki Musampa, Sabo Milosevic, Ronnie O Brien, Radz, Stalteri, Huckerby.

There's more too.

Are 90% of the players we try to bring in going to end up on this list?

Are the other 10% making themselves known?

jloome
07-12-2008, 10:48 AM
Please,

Like I said he is old 32. We need younger players for the DP position. Like I said he ha sbeen playing the wing lately. Also has a history of hip problems and we can't take a risk on players with injury problems. If he is so good why didn't Norwich re sign him???? Correct me if i'm wrong but didn't Norwich just baely clinch a spot for the Championship league last season. They are a weak side and if he can't play for them it tells you all you need to know.

Our Dp slot has to be for a younger, fitter and better palyer. I don't want another Dicchio.

Another spectacularly fucking stupid post from Giambac and it's only 9:43 am MTN time.

I don't want him either, now, but that's only because he doesn't want to play for us, so fuck him.

But every point you've made here is fucking wrong in this case, and comes from the usual stupid generalizations.
1. He isn't slow, he's fast. He's just been injured a lot. That doesn't always slow you down substantially, and hasn't in his case.
2. He's more skilled with a football at his feet than anyone on our team save Ricketts and has a better shot than anyone save Robert and Guevara.
3. He's a better player outright than just about anyone we have, period.

You're so fucking clueless. Why don't you just save us all the daily frustration of smacking our heads against brick walls after reading your posts by commenting on the leagues you actually follow and know something about, rather than just shitting on every English player that gets mentioned on here.

Or, in case you need reminding, you're the idiot who thought Ricketts was a wash, thinks Carver is a step down from Mo, and thinks Darren Huckerby might be "another Dichio." There are brain-injured mongloids in East Hartford, Connecticut that know more about English football and the players coming out of it than you do, Giambac.

ensco
07-12-2008, 11:06 AM
I swear, a bunch of the people on this board work for the makers of fieldturf. I really do.

CretanBull
07-12-2008, 11:46 AM
Another spectacularly fucking stupid post from Giambac and it's only 9:43 am MTN time.

I don't want him either, now, but that's only because he doesn't want to play for us, so fuck him.

But every point you've made here is fucking wrong in this case, and comes from the usual stupid generalizations.
1. He isn't slow, he's fast. He's just been injured a lot. That doesn't always slow you down substantially, and hasn't in his case.
2. He's more skilled with a football at his feet than anyone on our team save Ricketts and has a better shot than anyone save Robert and Guevara.
3. He's a better player outright than just about anyone we have, period.

You're so fucking clueless. Why don't you just save us all the daily frustration of smacking our heads against brick walls after reading your posts by commenting on the leagues you actually follow and know something about, rather than just shitting on every English player that gets mentioned on here.

Or, in case you need reminding, you're the idiot who thought Ricketts was a wash, thinks Carver is a step down from Mo, and thinks Darren Huckerby might be "another Dichio." There are brain-injured mongloids in East Hartford, Connecticut that know more about English football and the players coming out of it than you do, Giambac.

QFT....except I would like him to play for us. He's leaving England because he said he'd never play against Norwich City...IMO you can't pay enough for that type of character. Imagine the love if TFC decided to cut Jimmy B and he chose to leave the league because he refused to ever play against TFC.

Smenge
07-12-2008, 12:48 PM
If MLSE was willing to spend money on TFC, in the same manner they do with the leafs and raptors, there would be a line-up of potential young stars, from all over the planet, waiting to sign up for the club. Instead, we make gods out of UK based players, no matter how old, how slow, how crippled, how out of favour, the player is. We will see how good Huckerby is playing for San Jose, a team that is probably equal in caliber to the one he left.

ExiledRed
07-12-2008, 12:53 PM
We will see how good Huckerby is playing for San Jose, a team that is probably equal in caliber to the one he left.

could not disagree more,

Norwich would destroy the current earthquakes squad, on any day of the year.

noochie
07-12-2008, 12:54 PM
If MLSE was willing to spend money on TFC, in the same manner they do with the leafs and raptors, there would be a line-up of potential young stars, from all over the planet, waiting to sign up for the club. Instead, we make gods out of UK based players, no matter how old, how slow, how crippled, how out of favour, the player is. We will see how good Huckerby is playing for San Jose, a team that is probably equal in caliber to the one he left.

Not just UK players... the same happened on this board for Kluivert, Gomes (who rejected a TFC offer today) and many others. You may also have noticed that there is a salary cap... tough to queue up a waiting list of guys wanting to make 50K US a year.

Again, I can't see how MLSE is faulted anywhere in this, they made a big an offer to a big name guy this week seemingly without anyone knowing about it until today and it was rejected.

CretanBull
07-12-2008, 12:55 PM

The average age of MLS DPs is 33 years old...the money is there, but young players aren't interested in playing in a low level league for a number of reasons...

CretanBull
07-12-2008, 12:56 PM
Gomes would have been a great addition to our team.

Smenge
07-12-2008, 01:01 PM
DP money is available. You can only sign one (or two?).

And, athletes have been coming to North America for years. The two new players from Africa, signed by the Revolution, are as good as anybody on TFC, if not better. If you know how to use the cap, a player from a third-world country would not scoff at 400k, when he is playing for oats at home, and riding a donkey to work.

CretanBull
07-12-2008, 01:21 PM

And, athletes have been coming to North America for years. The two new players from Africa, signed by the Revolution, are as good as anybody on TFC, if not better. If you know how to use the cap, a player from a third-world country would not scoff at 400k, when he is playing for oats at home, and riding a donkey to work.

First you argue that if only MLSE would spend the money young players would be lining up to sign for us, now you're realizing that the MLS is about cap management and not about willingness to spend money. Getting players from Africa is easier said than done - there are immigration issues that players from commonwealth countries don't face. Your condenscending remarks about "playing for oats" and "riding a donkey to work" are at best ignorant, at worst outright racist.

Juanito
07-12-2008, 01:30 PM
What I don't understand is why we aren't using the DP. We lack the quality to be a GREAT team and if we can bring in a few big names, we can really compete. Also, if the turf is a problem for players, then let's do something about it. Why give people excuses to leave?

I have been reading, and the attitude from the supporters is "If you don't want to play for us, then good ridings". We shouldn't think this way or else we'll only end up with guys with good attitude but short on talent. We need to have both and we need to create a team that people WANT to come to.

We have no history, why would people WANT to sign with Toronto FC? We need to make it a good place for the players, not just the supporters.

noochie
07-12-2008, 01:47 PM

Probably one of the most ignorant comments I have ever read on this board. There are also international restrictions on the number of players on the roster also... not that this makes any sense to you. In addition you can't pay every non-domestic player max non-DP money (you only get 1 or two of those per team).

You seem much more qualified to run the franchise than anyone currently in the front office. :rolleyes:

noochie
07-12-2008, 01:50 PM
What I don't understand is why we aren't using the DP. We lack the quality to be a GREAT team and if we can bring in a few big names, we can really compete.

I don't think it hasn't happened for lack of trying... contrary to what you might think not every negotiation goes public from day one.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-12-2008, 03:31 PM
I don't think it hasn't happened for lack of trying... contrary to what you might think not every negotiation goes public from day one.

Agreed, its a well known fact with management and support that we are lacking a top level striker, i have no doubt in my mind that Mo is doing his best to bring one to the table.