PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Tuesday,Mar.27

denime
03-27-2012, 05:38 AM
Mornin'

TFC TV (http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp)

Reds Prepare For Santos Laguna (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2012/03/reds-prepare-santos-laguna)

Santos Sends Stars To Toronto

(http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2012/03/santos-travels-stars-toronto)Toronto FC makes emergency goalie call

(http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2012/03/26/toronto_fc_makes_emergency_goalie_call/)
(http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2012/03/santos-travels-stars-toronto)Fletcher on TFC: Defensive woes continue (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2012/03/26/mls_toronto_fc_tfc_san_jose_earthquakes/)

Academy Leaves Ohio Unbeaten (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2012/03/academy-leaves-ohio-unbeaten)

Canada U-23 Stunned Late (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2012/03/canada-u-23-stunned-late)

Canada ties Cuba in Olympic qualifier (http://www.torontosun.com/2012/03/26/canada-ties-cuba-in-olympic-qualifier)

Molinaro: Canada's wasted chance (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2012/03/26/molinaro_canada_cuba_concacaf_qualifying/)

TFC Related Blogs !! (http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?29582-TFC-MLS-blogs-thread)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshine-girl)

KRO
03-27-2012, 06:13 AM
Denime
Thanks for doing this every day. It's my breakfast read. BTW it's Tuesday.

Oldtimer
03-27-2012, 06:38 AM
This is probably the end of the line for TFC, and Vancouver will probably be Canada's entry in the CCL next year (they are currently top of the league). It's been a great run. Enjoy the match tomorrow. TFC has set a record now for future Canadian teams to try to beat.

Technorgasm
03-27-2012, 06:54 AM
Toronto has a sports team that is about to play a massive game against INTERNATIONAL oppositioni.
and not ONE paper picked up the story?

This is sad and pathetic.
Whatever our chances, what does Footy have to do to register in this city / country?
oh right, play beckham. . I forgot.

Take a visit to teh TFC fan page on Facebook, and check out the Santos trolls on there.
its pretty entertaining.

London
03-27-2012, 07:02 AM
This is probably the end of the line for TFC, and Vancouver will probably be Canada's entry in the CCL next year (they are currently top of the league). It's been a great run. Enjoy the match tomorrow. TFC has set a record now for future Canadian teams to try to beat.

vancouver has beaten 2 realy shit teams and tied a team that has talent but zero coaching.

i would hardly start handing them titles yet

Stouffville_RPB
03-27-2012, 07:17 AM

what the hell is this????

So TFC hasn't got off to a great start in the league (but still exceeded expectations in the CCL) and you're ready to hand the title off to Vancouver already? I'm sorry it is WAY to early to be handing out titles especially when that competition hasn't even begun yet.

That is in no way supportive of our boys so early in a season. Didn't see something like this coming from you Oldtimer.

mastermixer
03-27-2012, 07:58 AM

So TFC hasn't got off to a great start in the league (but still exceeded expectations in the CCL) and you're ready to hand the title off to Vancouver already? I'm sorry it is WAY to early to be handing out titles especially when that competition hasn't even begun yet.

That is in no way supportive of our boys so early in a season. Didn't see something like this coming from you Oldtimer.

After watching the two regular season games so far, I'm starting to think it was more of LA not being focused/ready for CCL and making it an easier path for us. I just can't see how the TFC team that played on Saturday was able to beat the defending MLS Champions. Tomorrow might be a very loud wake up for this team.

Stouffville_RPB
03-27-2012, 08:09 AM
After watching the two regular season games so far, I'm starting to think it was more of LA not being focused/ready for CCL and making it an easier path for us. I just can't see how the TFC team that played on Saturday was able to beat the defending MLS Champions. Tomorrow might be a very loud wake up for this team.

I agree they have played shit defensively post-Frings injury and losing Frei wasn't easy either. Maund has looked like a rookie, Aceval while experienced doesn't have pace to catch players from behind and hasn't taken over a leadership role at the back since Frings has been out and Harden seems to have lost any confidence he gained while playing with Frings. This one injury to Frings has blown out our defense.

With all that said the NCC doesn't start until May 2nd. Conceding a 4 team competition that is over a month away (and 7 competitive matches from now) is way to premature.

Red Rat
03-27-2012, 08:11 AM

Oldtimer has been taken over by aliens!!!

Phil
03-27-2012, 08:15 AM
I think Oldtimer is setting himself up to not be disapointed. Hey, I would love for them to advance but we all have ways to deal with all possible outcomes.

It won't stop me from bringing as much as I can Wednesday night :D

Red Rat
03-27-2012, 08:19 AM
I think Oldtimer is setting himself up to not be disapointed. Hey, I would love for them to advance but we all have ways to deal with all possible outcomes.

It won't stop me from bringing as much as I can Wednesday night :D
Sorry Phil we an exorcist, anyone know one?

prizby
03-27-2012, 08:54 AM
hey denime...tfc tv has changed now

http://www.torontofc.ca/video

pdogg
03-27-2012, 09:06 AM

Could there be a comparison between our poor play defensively without Frings and LA Galaxy's poor play without Gonzalez? Both teams have ample offensive talent and now both teams are missing their general on the backline. I don't think we ever expected much of a result in Seattle, but the Frings injury has changed our defensive structure considerably. LA has had time to practice and work on their defense knowing Omar has been out since January, we have only been without Frings for a week.

mastermixer
03-27-2012, 09:18 AM
Could there be a comparison between our poor play defensively without Frings and LA Galaxy's poor play without Gonzalez? Both teams have ample offensive talent and now both teams are missing their general on the backline. I don't think we ever expected much of a result in Seattle, but the Frings injury has changed our defensive structure considerably. LA has had time to practice and work on their defense knowing Omar has been out since January, we have only been without Frings for a week.

Was Frings really brought in to be the last line on defence? I think there is a bigger problem with our defence than just missing Frings.

pdogg
03-27-2012, 09:52 AM
I think that his role was supposed to be a (defensive)DM as opposed to an (offensive)DM like what JDG is supposed to play. As the LB and RB push forward, the DM would drop back to help the CB and leave 3 in the back, making a fluid change from 4-3-3 to a 3-4-3 on the attack. Now that we don't have the DM dropping back between the CBs, we are moving from a 4-3-3 to a 2-5-3 leaving Maund/Harden and Aceval all alone without help when the LB/RB get caught.

jabbronies
03-27-2012, 10:11 AM

agree with this 100%.

They've had two shitty games and they deserve to be raked over the coals for it. However, that shouldn't determine how the rest of the season will play out - including CCL

Carts
03-27-2012, 10:53 AM
Was Frings really brought in to be the last line on defence? I think there is a bigger problem with our defence than just missing Frings.

He was brought in to organize & run the team on the pitch - that phrase says 'defence' more than 'offence' to me...

I don't think the initial plan was for him to be CB, but when training, matches, video sessions determined that to be his role - it was his role...

We have been outscored 6-1 without Frings in the lineup... When he left the Seattle match - it changed INSTANTLY..

So although his role previously in his career was not to completely organize and run the defence - it became his role here, and damn he was good at it...

__wowza
03-27-2012, 10:55 AM
for those of us who want to see todays sunshine boy..

http://mswiley2508.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/landon-donovan1.jpg?w=640

Roogsy
03-27-2012, 10:57 AM
Now Canada will face Mexico in the final four; a Mexican team that entered this competition as the top favourites and features nine players who competed in last summer’s Copa America.
Nine.

:eek:

Roogsy
03-27-2012, 10:58 AM
^
BTW...anyone else hate the new emoticons? That was an "eek!" if anyone was wondering.

Roogsy
03-27-2012, 11:01 AM
He was brought in to organize & run the team on the pitch - that phrase says 'defence' more than 'offence' to me...

I don't think the initial plan was for him to be CB, but when training, matches, video sessions determined that to be his role - it was his role...

We have been outscored 6-1 without Frings in the lineup... When he left the Seattle match - it changed INSTANTLY..

So although his role previously in his career was not to completely organize and run the defence - it became his role here, and damn he was good at it...

Is he dead? :lol:

He's only gone for a few weeks people. He will come back. Now we see what this team is made of without him, and to be honest, my much maligned-position that without the DPs this club is poor gets tested now.

I will point out how much we are beating ourselves up for Frings being out and now our backline is exposed. I told you Winter was going to use him back there and few believed me. ;)

tfcleeds
03-27-2012, 11:13 AM
It stands to reason that players like Frings and Koev aren't going to be healthy for an entire season. Sure, losing Frings for as long as we are hurts, but if this team can't find a way to win without him, then they are truly f**ked. Time for others to step up, it's as simple as that.

Oldtimer
03-27-2012, 11:17 AM
Now we see what this team is made of without him, and to be honest, my much maligned-position that without the DPs this club is poor gets tested now.

I will point out how much we are beating ourselves up for Frings being out and now our backline is exposed. I told you Winter was going to use him back there and few believed me. ;)

Roogsy, I think you were right as far as defense goes.

I still think the offense is less DP-dependent, without Koevs they can still bang out a win.

As far as JDG goes, even a fan of his like me admits he has been a major disappointment, and think that he's been a major waste of a DP slot (thanks, Mo). I don't think the team needs him at all. You are probably not including him anyways.

scooter
03-27-2012, 11:27 AM
mornin d

i really did not want to talk about saturday but since you bring up jdg
the defense caused most of the turnovers and counters but the mids seemed all over the place and disorganised it should be his job to fix that
is he worth dp slot its tough he shines once in a while and he had a great shot on saturday
but
we need a centre back with good touch and awareness who can be the major on the field and direct the boys
maybe our next dp should be that player

Greatest Ripoff
03-27-2012, 11:38 AM

Did you watch all of Vancouver games? They might be in first after three games but they only looked good beating Montreal. For the 1-0 Chivas win they didn't look the better team and both teams looks pretty bad in last weeks 0-0 draw against DC. It is way too early to crown them champions.

Roogsy
03-27-2012, 11:44 AM
Did you watch all of Vancouver games? They might be in first after three games but they only looked good beating Montreal. For the 1-0 Chivas win they didn't look the better team and both teams looks pretty bad in last weeks 0-0 draw against DC. It is way too early to crown them champions.

I've seen all of Vancouver's games and they do look good. I am not ready to crown them champions, but we better bring our "A" game because if we don't, they will.

And I doubt this year we will have a 2nd kick at the can.

Oldtimer
03-27-2012, 11:54 AM
we need a centre back with good touch and awareness who can be the major on the field and direct the boys
maybe our next dp should be that player

That's my position. If we go for another DP, it should be a quality defender. The Dutch system requires all three lines (D, mid, offense) to have solid ability on them. While it's very difficult in MLS to get solid quality in all of the starting 11, a DP in each line would go a long way to helping out the rest of the squad.

Carts
03-27-2012, 02:30 PM
Whether you see Frings as someone to anchor the defence or not, here's what the MLS website says about him...

Last week we called Torsten Frings "The Most Irreplaceable Player in the League." On the weekend TFC went out and proved it, putting in one of the most flaccid displays of the year by any team. They need help – quickly – or it will be bloody vs. Santos in CCL.

If someone is 'The Most Irreplaceable Player in the League' its going to hurt when he's out of the lineup no matter where he plays...

We, somehow, have to figure out how to play & get results without him...

Brooker
03-27-2012, 02:43 PM

Are you being serious or?

TFC Cityboy
03-27-2012, 03:32 PM
I think we'll see a reaction tomorrow. I'd expect Santos to start without some of their 1st team (start on the bench) but we cannot play 4-3-3 and not expect to get destroyed. For 4-3-3 to work you must have at least 2 strong ball winners in the midfield 3.

Having said that Winter is not a fan of 4 4 2 and our player personnel doesn't really set up for a 4-5-1 or a 4-1-3-2 so perhaps he moves to a 3-4-3 (God help us).

I'd personally stack the midfield and have the outer midfielders (say Plata and Lambe/Soolsma) stay in close support of Danny K or RJ who will need to play the central role of the hold-up man brilliantly.

I'm pessimistic for the result but acknowlege that TFC has punched above our weight to get to the semis and as my Italian neighbour would always tell me "the ball is round".

Either way I expect to see 110% commitment and passion on the pitch and in the stands tomorrow night.

A Champions League semi final is not a frequent occurance for supporters of many clubs and it is to be savoured and the occasion must be risen to.

Let's be in the stands ON TIME and ready to cheer the boys on as the 12th man.

Juanito
03-27-2012, 03:47 PM
^^

The problem we face is that Santos are not only been playing in their domestic league, they're leading it. They are much better prepared than we are.

We better hope it's a chilly day tomorrow night and it affects them on the pitch. We HAVE TO WIN tomorrow. We have to go to Mexico and park the bus.

Blizzard
03-27-2012, 05:53 PM
Mornin'

TFC TV (http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp)

TFC TV has a new location. They've not taken the old one down but they are not updating it anymore. The new hypertext is:

http://www.torontofc.ca/video

reggie
03-27-2012, 06:49 PM
winter is sitting with burke in the press box tonight,i wonder what kind of conversation they are having..

CSO_BBTB
03-28-2012, 12:20 AM
winter is sitting with burke in the press box tonight,i wonder what kind of conversation they are having..

Does anyone else remember the prank TFC related interview with Brian Burke back in 2007? Think the guy who did it was called Derek Ramsay. Tried to find it on youtube but had no luck.