PDA

View Full Version : New food at BMO ratings

David_Oliveira
03-24-2012, 11:19 AM
So just had a beef taco at BMO. The stand is located in the south west corner. It was awesome. It was so good, I had to grab another. My girlfriend had the perogies and they were really good too.
Just thought we could start a thread to review the food and let everyone know how it tastes

Auzzy
03-24-2012, 03:43 PM
Well, yes the food was the only positive thing at the game today.

Nice to hear the beef tacos were good. I tried one black bean & one pork taco -- both awesome as well. Messy, but good. I hope they keep up the quality on those.

flatpicker
03-25-2012, 08:38 AM
I'll have to remember that.
My nearest food at Gate 3 is the hotdog stand.
I am impressed by how consistent they at serving the worst sausages I have ever eaten.

And here's where I give the Rogers Centre a huge thumbs up...
The sausage there was covered in awesome toppings like grilled vegetable and such.
And it didn't feel as though the damn thing was dipped in a hard plastic shell.

SuperTCP
03-25-2012, 08:43 AM
Not sure if its new this year but i had the chicken chip buddy for first time and last time. it included only 2 pieces of chicken which were smaller then mcdonalds chicken nuggets on a bed of cold fries.

flatpicker
03-25-2012, 08:48 AM
^ Yeah, when they do food wrong at BMO, they go that extra mile to make it completely shit.

Detroit_TFC
03-25-2012, 09:13 AM
I got a plain chip butty and a scotch egg. The chip butty was much better than last year. Mine was piping hot, so no complaints there.

ecospice
03-25-2012, 09:22 AM
The woman sitting next to my wife had the tacos and raved about them. I was almost late for the game because of the parking situation (I normally don't drive and didn't know I would be parking at Ontario Place) so I didn't get to the North end BBQ pit, which is what I usually get - last year it was a triple threat every game. I was relegated to the Souvlaki, which was about the same quality taste as last year but seemed smaller. The sausages looked like the usual crap (dipped in plastic is a good analogy).

SCF1908
03-25-2012, 03:27 PM
Was it just me or did they raise the price of beer?

Auzzy
03-25-2012, 04:14 PM
Crap, we shouldn't praise the tacos too much. Otherwise everyone will want them & the lineups will be endless in the future... :D

Alonso
03-25-2012, 04:31 PM

Yeah and I think that's it for me as far as buying beer at BMO.

Two large beers for $28 is absurd. That does it for me. I'm not spending a dollar on beer at BMO ever again or until they bring a large to a reasonable price.

Pint
03-25-2012, 08:10 PM
If you want to talk about something that had the price raised the sausages were 4.75 last year i believe, and now they are 5.95 plus tax.

Can't even get a sausage and a large beer for 20 anymore

zamperina
03-25-2012, 08:11 PM
$28 for 2 big beers
WOW just fcukin redonculous!

jazzy
03-25-2012, 08:49 PM
$28 for 2 big beers

yup only joes pre or after,..for me when I can make it ., someone has to benefit..and Joe is the deserving one. and the sausages have gone up??unbelievable..........well push those prices up,.. less and less will sell.......they are going to have a shock when they realize this ain't the maple leafs........I've cut down drinking and eating at the game......shame I really enjoyed the meat pies , very good quality.

Carts
03-26-2012, 08:30 AM
Speaking of Beer - I went out at the 62nd minute, and the beer lines were all cut off...

Security said "...we're stopping at 60 this year..."

I never heard anything about that - but I guess they saved me $14...

__wowza
03-26-2012, 08:44 AM
$28 for 2 big beers

forgive me if my math is off, im a theatre major, ive never been good at this sorta thing. hypothetically speaking, i believe there's a method of drinking at that is far superior. i suggest you not try it at a professional sports match in the city, smuggling in booze is frowned upon you know..

$3 for a bottle of coke at BMO.
$40 for a bottle of JD single barrel.
$5 for a 5oz flask.

=

$4 + some change for a triple whiskey and cola.

ArmenJBX
03-26-2012, 09:04 AM
I got a plain chip butty and a scotch egg. The chip butty was much better than last year. Mine was piping hot, so no complaints there.

You are very welcome! :D

The Chip Butty this year has a very interesting story, namely that it was created by yours truly :D

In November of last year, I wrote an article about Toronto FC's abysmal Chip Buttys:
http://www.rednationonline.ca/TorontoFCsneedforanewCB.aspx

Four years on, the Chip Butty is a shambles. Dempster’s White Bread, still soft, cold, and plain, wedges a meager serving of cold, stale fries. The wrapping serves no purpose, as the already minimal serving of fries falls onto the stands, gone forever, with nothing more than a slight jerk of the arm. As for the sauce? Not only do you need to ask for it, but the sauce I was served was the same salsa used for the nacho plate! Really!? This is a travesty, an insult to the cultured footy foodie. This is not good enough for Toronto FC.

I was then contacted by MLSE Head Chef Robert Bartley, who read my article, and with the suggestions I made, created the new one.

I was also invited to attend the TFC Food Tasting event.

Here's the link to the food tasting event piece I wrote:

http://rednationonline.ca/MissionAccomplishedVivaLaChipButty.aspx

http://rednationonline.ca/Portals/0/article_photos/Armen_5The-Chip-Butty!.jpg
This is it. The culmination of thousands of years worth of bread and fries technology, come together at last. The perfect Chip Butty. Thank you, Chef Bartley, for this masterstroke in stadium food.
This Chip Butty is everything we could have dreamed of, and then some. The garlic sauce is identifiable (finally!); the fries have a very unique flavouring, the parsley being a brilliant addition. It was love at first bite.

VIVA LA REVOLUCION!

London
03-26-2012, 09:06 AM
^^^ your math is messed up, coke was never 3 bucks.

it went from 3.75 last season to 4.50 this year.

any bottled coke product is 4.50 this year

Red CB Toronto
03-26-2012, 10:57 AM
There was actually a smaller fountain pop for $2.85 up to about 2 years ago.

Joe Kool
03-26-2012, 11:58 AM
Prices went up on everything I bought the same way prices were jacked up from year to year on my season seats. I guess the price freeze was only for the tickets Tom? $7 for bag of M&M's? I had to ask him to repeat the price just to make sure I heard right. I told him that the price was a joke and he said "did you expect anything less?". Last bag I buy all year. Glad the poutine from Smoke's is about the same and $1 more for the beer I can live with since it was ridiculous to begin with. I am going to have to rethink buying anything at the stadium again. If you buy it from them they will think you are ok with the price and never change it.

turnbr
03-26-2012, 01:16 PM

All beer is up a buck this year. $9.00 for a 16 oz tall boy can. Large draft is $14
F Me !!

mastermixer
03-26-2012, 02:51 PM
You didn't read the fine print when you renewed your seasons?

*MLSE reserves the right to screw you on everything except ticket prices for 2012. Suckas!!!

Roogsy
03-26-2012, 02:54 PM
I violated my own rules and bought food on Saturday because I hadn't had anything to eat all day. I bought a footlong hot dog and it was probably the worst hot dog I had ever eaten.

Davenport
03-26-2012, 03:29 PM
Poor selection.
Overpriced.
Looked good, but was disappointing.
Left an empty feeling in my stomach.

The food wasn't very good either.

Juanito
03-26-2012, 03:32 PM
^^

Hiyooooooooooooo!!

http://www.nndb.com/people/419/000022353/42-3870-sm.jpg

TFC Cityboy
03-26-2012, 03:34 PM
had the poutine chip butty. Hugely overpriced at $7.86 incl tax when it's $4 for the chip butty. Chips were terrible.

Will look for the taco stand next time - what was the value like there?

London
03-26-2012, 06:51 PM
paying for fries on a bun is crazy

Kooper
03-26-2012, 06:57 PM
Glad the poutine from Smoke's is about the same and $1 more for the beer I can live with since it was ridiculous to begin with.

Now if only we could get the poutine truck down to the south end then maybe I could get one. It takes more than the 15 minutes we have at the half to get across the stadium and wait in line. They could double their buisness if they had 2 trucks.

Or we should petition Kaplanski's to set up in the south end.
Kooper

Auzzy
03-26-2012, 09:03 PM
had the poutine chip butty. Hugely overpriced at $7.86 incl tax when it's $4 for the chip butty. Chips were terrible.

Will look for the taco stand next time - what was the value like there?

I think it was about $8.20 incl. tax for two tacos. Expensive but not outrageous, I thought. Kept me satisfied for the game, and tasted good.

What pissed me off: the reason I had to eat there, was because Steve Kisic (board name Croatia) wanted to purchase a single ticket from me including scarf. So I came early to pick up an extra scarf. That's all fine, except this guy stood me up & never showed, after talking to me on the phone up until a half hour before the game. Never bothered to leave me a VM or text, or to pick up his phone when I called him a bunch more times wondering why he wasn't showing up.

Does someone know that guy?

Brooker
03-26-2012, 09:25 PM
I miss the days when the games used to clear out and there would be all sorts of empty mickeys lying around... of course those were the days where you could easily smoke cigarettes/weed in the south end, too.

Much harder now.

TOBOR !
03-26-2012, 09:31 PM
A chip butty should only be made with the chips left on your plate once the egg is finished. Slather plenty of butter onto a slice of bread, fold your chips into it and use that to mop up the runny yolk and whatever sauce that remains.

You can't manufacture a chip butty (garlic and parsely ? I ask you... ).

Anyway, I had the $9.50 meat pie. They've changed it outright. New pastry. New sauce
I don't mind if I never have another. Last year's was better.

Joe Kool
03-26-2012, 11:09 PM
Now if only we could get the poutine truck down to the south end then maybe I could get one. It takes more than the 15 minutes we have at the half to get across the stadium and wait in line. They could double their buisness if they had 2 trucks.

Or we should petition Kaplanski's to set up in the south end.
Kooper

I am in the south end too but the only reason I get the poutine is because I usually try to get there early and get it before the game. I would never try to get there at half time for the exact reason you stated. If I don't get it at the beginning of the game I don't bother with getting one until next game. I wouldn't mind something in the south end for sure if they ever did it.

Joe Kool
03-26-2012, 11:15 PM
I think it was about $8.20 incl. tax for two tacos. Expensive but not outrageous, I thought. Kept me satisfied for the game, and tasted good.

What pissed me off: the reason I had to eat there, was because Steve Kisic (board name Croatia) wanted to purchase a single ticket from me including scarf. So I came early to pick up an extra scarf. That's all fine, except this guy stood me up & never showed, after talking to me on the phone up until a half hour before the game. Never bothered to leave me a VM or text, or to pick up his phone when I called him a bunch more times wondering why he wasn't showing up.

Does someone know that guy?

I got the shaft by someone buying my ticket before. They were the ones that never showed up. I also had another experience when the guy got there and only had half the money and told me he is good for it next game. I figured he was an RPB and on the boards regularly so I trusted him. He disappeared right after that never to be seen again. It is EMT or nothing for me after those experiences and I would recommend the same unless you know the guy personally.

I would talk to one of the exec though...at least get the guy's name added to the ticket trader "shady character" list to start with. They can probably track the guy down too and maybe send their cousin Lefty to pay him a visit :). Worth a shot.

London
03-27-2012, 07:18 AM
Auzzy--- get that guys name put on the ticket trader violators list.

i am very iffy of people i dont know wanting to meet on gameday. seems almost every time the person has some wacky story of why they cant make it or why one of there group did not show up. I have been stiffed as well

EMT is the best way to go.

zamperina
03-27-2012, 07:53 AM
Auzzy--- get that guys name put on the ticket trader violators list.

i am very iffy of people i dont know wanting to meet on gameday. seems almost every time the person has some wacky story of why they cant make it or why one of there group did not show up. I have been stiffed as well

EMT is the best way to go.

Yup I've been stiffed a couple times as well...

Auzzy
03-27-2012, 11:00 AM
Thanks folks! I already reported it to the ticket trader mods a few days ago, but I know the guys are busy, and I don't know if they can deal with guys that get stood up (unlike the obvious violations like scalping overpriced tickets etc). Agree, I have always done EMT so far, but this time the scarf was involved... I'm never doing that again no matter what. Get the money & email the ticket before the game, and then deal with the scarf or whatever onsite. If not, I would rather just give the ticket away to someone, than wait around & even miss part of the game. I mean, someone not making it to the game is one thing; but to leave a guy standing literally 15 minutes after talking on the phone... and then not answering the phone repeatedly...

Anyways, before a different mod gives me an infraction for going off topic... :D that's why I was there early, I enjoyed the tacos, I didn't realize beer prices etc. had increased, and I'll be even more focused on eating/drinking off-site in the future. But when I bring the kids, getting some popcorn or the like is a big part of the experience for them.

London
03-27-2012, 11:05 AM
i noticed the upsell as well this season.

"would you like to add some popcorn" " or candy" were spoken to the people in front of me and myself as well.

That's new to me and i buy a drink every game

SCF1908
03-27-2012, 11:10 AM
But when I bring the kids, getting some popcorn or the like is a big part of the experience for them.

Yeah, it really is, I bring my two boys to a lot of games and they want m and m's, pop and popcorn, and I capitulate for them, same as I do at a Leafs game or Monster Jam or whatever. It's a big treat for them. I have never bought any food for myself at a TFC game though. Even my beer consumption is way down. On-site that is.

Roogsy
03-27-2012, 11:28 AM
i noticed the upsell as well this season.

They should be doing this. This is fast-food business 101. In fact, if they weren't doing it before season VI it simply means even the food services department was poorly run! :lol:

London
03-27-2012, 11:39 AM
They should be doing this. This is fast-food business 101. In fact, if they weren't doing it before season VI it simply means even the food services department was poorly run! :lol:

so true LOL

the very basics of sales "you want fries with that"

apparently the food is being run at the same inadequate level as the club

Carts
03-27-2012, 11:48 AM
so true LOL

the very basics of sales "you want fries with that"

The damn up-sell.
Every time I go to McDonald's boozed and order a combo, the girl behind the counter gets me with "...would you like to add 6-nuggets...?"
I say yes every damn time :facepalm:

Ratven
03-27-2012, 04:49 PM
I had the Chicken Chip Butty last year a few times and I thought it was delicious :yum:

sloangraham
03-27-2012, 06:06 PM
I'd just like to point out that the collector's cups represent excellent value over the course of a full season. One cup = sodie pop all season long. Hopefully they'll have the new ones in soon.

Also, the chip butty is fantastically improved. The "fancy" ones are ridiculously priced (I don't think the garlic one really adds much more to the standard butty, other than about $3). Otherwise, really excited about new vegetarian options in the tacos and pierogies. Nice work to whoever brought those in.

London
03-27-2012, 08:00 PM
^^^ they fill that shit for free???

damn i will have to switch over

Sally Mack
03-29-2012, 08:56 PM
Tried the porchetta sandwich last week from the "italian" stand in the north end. Pretty damn tasty. It costs 9.something after taxes, but it's enough food to fill you. Sure beats all the other crap found at the concessions.

Auzzy
03-29-2012, 09:04 PM
OK I got the price of the tacos wrong in the previous week. They are actually $11.19 including tax, for two of them. That's a bit steep.

Can someone explain to me, how do they get from $8.95 before tax as shown on their price list, to $11.19 including tax? 25% tax WTF?

Abou Sky
03-29-2012, 09:19 PM
The woman sitting next to my wife had the tacos and raved about them. I was almost late for the game because of the parking situation (I normally don't drive and didn't know I would be parking at Ontario Place) so I didn't get to the North end BBQ pit, which is what I usually get - last year it was a triple threat every game. I was relegated to the Souvlaki, which was about the same quality taste as last year but seemed smaller. The sausages looked like the usual crap (dipped in plastic is a good analogy).

(New Here) You can actually ask for bigger chicken sticks from Mr. Greek if you ask REALLY nice and flirt a little with the girls behind the counter, sometimes painful. If you go just after the 2nd half starts and you have a cute child with you (I can lend you my son if you want) they now always give me 3 big ones for the price of two... unless they are sold out.

Are the tacos hard shell or soft shell?

Also, if you want to bring some of your own food in you can always claim that the food at BMO isn't Kosher. Just don't try to sneak in a ham because it is a dead giveaway.

Auzzy
03-29-2012, 10:03 PM
Tacos are soft shell.

Kooper
03-30-2012, 04:57 AM
Where is the taco stand? I checked the south west corner and I couldn't find it.

Oblio2
03-30-2012, 06:56 AM
The price of food is a joke. It cost them about a buck to make a chip butty.

Auzzy
03-30-2012, 09:21 AM
Where is the taco stand? I checked the south west corner and I couldn't find it.

Closer to the NW corner. Approx. under section 225.

Kooper
03-30-2012, 09:38 AM
Closer to the NW corner. Approx. under section 225.

Why is it the best food is as far as possible from the south end?

SuperTCP
03-30-2012, 10:05 AM
So far only items i have enjoyed at BMO at the Poutine and the Triple Threat. Also the Collector cup is the only way to go for those who enjoy pop. Hope the new one comes soon, 2 games and still no cup.

SuperTCP
03-30-2012, 10:08 AM
Friend had the tacos last game, He stated they were a mushy, tasteless mess.

Joe Kool
03-30-2012, 10:49 AM
So far only items i have enjoyed at BMO at the Poutine and the Triple Threat. Also the Collector cup is the only way to go for those who enjoy pop. Hope the new one comes soon, 2 games and still no cup.

So you just wash that bad boy out and bring to each game? Nobody gives you a hassle at the door? I never thought they would let you bring it back each game and the pop deal was just for that one game. Good to know.

sloangraham
03-30-2012, 09:56 PM
OK I got the price of the tacos wrong in the previous week. They are actually $11.19 including tax, for two of them. That's a bit steep.

Can someone explain to me, how do they get from $8.95 before tax as shown on their price list, to $11.19 including tax? 25% tax WTF?

Mine were $10-something with tax. I bet they rung you up for two individual tacos, as I think they're a bit more expensive individually than a pair. I'm a vegetarian, so no mix-and-match for me, but that could perhaps be the reason if they're not allowing you to get two different ones at the price for a pair...

sloangraham
03-30-2012, 09:59 PM
So you just wash that bad boy out and bring to each game? Nobody gives you a hassle at the door? I never thought they would let you bring it back each game and the pop deal was just for that one game. Good to know.

It's technically for the one game, but no one at the gate or the concession stands seems to care. My guess is that they just don't bother getting into a confrontation with someone over whether or not they purchased their cup that day. I've never even been asked. And it would seem a stretch for security to say you can't bring an empty plastic cup in.

Auzzy
03-30-2012, 10:10 PM
Mine were $10-something with tax. I bet they rung you up for two individual tacos, as I think their a bit more expensive individually than a pair. I'm a vegetarian, so no mix-and-match for me, but that could perhaps be the reason if they're not allowing you to get two different ones at the price for a pair...

Ah thanks, very good point! Makes sense, although a bit slimy on their part. I was mixing & matching. And yes individual tacos cost more. All three types are good, so I'll take a pair the next time I have to eat something at BMO.

nfitz
04-01-2012, 12:09 PM
Anyway, I had the $9.50 meat pie. They've changed it outright. New pastry. New sauce
I don't mind if I never have another. Last year's was better.That's unfortunate. I've survived on the pies for years and they've been quite good, except for an odd week where they suddenly went from solid chunks of meat, to some ground mixture.

But on Saturday I went looking for one for the first time this year just before the game, and did an entire loop of the stadium and couldn't find them in either where they've been for years (under 104), or around 226 where they were also last year.

Where can I find the pies?

Yohan
04-01-2012, 12:21 PM
you're just asking for a Colin Samuel joke...

Had the pulled pork burger yesterday. the pulled pork part was pretty good, the burger, not so much.

lobo
04-01-2012, 12:25 PM
I don't mind if I never have another. Last year's was better.

yep, chicken pie used to be the only food i'd ever buy at BMO, tasty and warmed your core when you needed. like last saturday, but the pie wasn't what i was expecting. you're right tobor, they changed everything about it. sauce was almost non-existant. no pasty cover on top of the pie. size was smaller. i asked the guy at the stand what happened to the old pies that had been the same for 5 years. he was all excited, said he was a new partner that came on in the past year, and he wanted the pies to have a nicer presentation. i said 'you messed with something good? we'll see" ... bad idea.

lobo
04-01-2012, 12:28 PM
That's unfortunate. I've survived on the pies for years and they've been quite good, except for an odd week where they suddenly went from solid chunks of meat, to some ground mixture.

But on Saturday I went looking for one for the first time this year just before the game, and did an entire loop of the stadium and couldn't find them in either where they've been for years (under 104), or around 226 where they were also last year.

same place (104), different pies

nfitz
04-01-2012, 01:19 PM
same place (104), different piesYesterday? I thought it was just pizza slices. Perhaps I drank too much before the game ...

nfitz
04-15-2012, 01:03 PM
Finally found where they'd hidden the pies under 104. The old stand is now pizza-pizza, but the pies are just to the left (south) - which I think used to be the pizza. Probably a sensible shuffle given the line-ups for each, and proximity to other lines. There's a significicant lack of signage now though, and easy to miss.

As for the pie itself, the recipe has indeed changed. Not so much the filling, which seemed the same to me - still decent quality chunks of meat. However the pastry has changed, in particular the top has gone from crust, to a much lighter, more open top. The pie itself seemed a bit smaller, but maybe that's just the lost of the top crust that was larger than the pie itself.

While I think I'll miss the loss of the top crust, it may well make it easier to eat. Was always a bit of a challenge with the old ones to puncture a whole in the (very hot) top, and work your way into the pie - but that was also half the fun.

I'll keep coming back for more. Wish there were some closer to the south end. It's a lot of work to fight through the crowds at half-time, and hit the washroom, and get back to the south.

habstfc
04-15-2012, 02:59 PM
I saw a guy yesterday eating french fries in a hot dog bun. What the hell is that?

ArmenJBX
04-15-2012, 03:19 PM
I saw a guy yesterday eating french fries in a hot dog bun. What the hell is that?

It's the new Chip Buttys, and it's like, an Italian roll, not a hot dog bun.

prizby
04-15-2012, 03:22 PM
The perogies are GARBAGE; the one's that had potato filling in them were like a 4 out of 10, but 3 of my 6 perogies had no filling in them.