PDA

View Full Version : TFC Tickets on Groupon

simon151
03-21-2012, 07:19 AM
Just saw this on groupon if anyone needs tickets

http://www.groupon.com/greater-toronto-area/?post_subscribe=true

Stars Danny Koevermans & Torsten Frings lead Reds into sixth MLS campaign during three early-season bouts among raucous BMO Field crowds

Soccer players spend so much time concentrating on the ball that they grow obsessed with hexagons, which explains why they're constantly trying to kick bees' nests. Study the shape of an exciting game with this GrouponLive deal to see a Toronto FC (http://www.torontofc.ca/) match at BMO Field (http://www.torontofc.ca/bmo-field). Choose from the following options:

For $26, you get one ticket for light-grey section seating (http://gr.pn/FOFKEw) to see the match against the San Jose Earthquakes (http://www.sjearthquakes.com/) on Saturday, March 24, at 1 p.m. (a $56.75 value including all ticketing fees)
For $38, you get one ticket for medium-grey section seating (http://gr.pn/FOFKEw) to see the match against the San Jose Earthquakes (http://www.sjearthquakes.com/) on Saturday, March 24, at 1 p.m. (a $65.75 value including all ticketing fees)
For $24, you get one ticket for light-grey section seating (http://gr.pn/FOFKEw) to see the match against the Columbus Crew (http://www.thecrew.com/) on Saturday, March 31, at 2 p.m. (a $42.75 value, including all ticketing fees)
For $24, you get one ticket for light-grey section seating (http://gr.pn/xu8Smy) to see the match against Chivas USA (http://www.cdchivasusa.com/) on Saturday, April 14, at 4:30 p.m. (a $42.75 value, including all ticketing fees)

Amid a human mosaic of red and white, Toronto FC charge into their sixth campaign as part of Major League Soccer (http://www.mlssoccer.com/) during two early-season matches at BMO Field. Head coach Aron Winter (http://gr.pn/z9aRxQ) returns to govern the globally diverse roster of players, which includes reigning team-leader in goals Danny Koevermans (http://gr.pn/FOfqfj), who snuck eight shots into opposing nets in 2011. Nimble dives and spring-loaded cleats jettisoned goalkeeper Stefan Frei (http://gr.pn/zbNSMZ) into a reputation as one of the league’s best a year ago, and Toronto native Ashtone Morgan (http://gr.pn/wl11be) and veteran Torsten Frings (http://gr.pn/xNMFbQ) once again join forces to ambush offenses with the same degree of stealth as the ghillie suit-wearing midfielders of old. Located at Exhibition Place alongside Toronto’s Lakefront, BMO Field rumbles throughout matches as up to 20,000 Reds fanatics cheer.

Red Rat
03-21-2012, 07:38 AM
but wait! the waiting list people get first dibs!!!

Shakes McQueen
03-21-2012, 07:43 AM
Well, if you ever wanted a clear sign that demand for single tickets has bottomed out, I'd say a Groupon special is your canary in the coal mine. If renewal rates on STs falls again, they may burn through the remnants of the vaunted "waiting list" too.

- Scott

Detroit_TFC
03-21-2012, 07:54 AM
A lot of teams are using Groupon to sell tickets but IMO it is very lazy marketing.

ryan
03-21-2012, 07:56 AM
They did burn through it. My buddy joined the waiting list for the heck of it a month ago, they called him a couple days later to offer seasons.

They might have a waiting list, but those on that list aren't waiting for Season VI tickets..that's for sure.

ensco
03-21-2012, 08:07 AM
they may burn through the remnants of the vaunted "waiting list" too.

- Scott

I think, based on all the reports during the SSH renewal process, that the "waiting list" has been ashes for a while now.

Greatest Ripoff
03-21-2012, 08:52 AM
Someone posted an interview with Paul B, and he basically said the people on the waiting list are looking for yellows or light greys and the demand for other seats has dried up.

Fushida
03-21-2012, 08:56 AM
Since when were light greys $56? Not sure where they got that number from... Granted you still save around $10 so it's not a bad deal.

Red Rat
03-21-2012, 09:04 AM
Someone posted an interview with Paul B, and he basically said the people on the waiting list are looking for yellows or light greys and the demand for other seats has dried up.
MLSE take note!!!
Greed will make you famous

T-boy
03-21-2012, 09:37 AM
I've sold stuff in my own company with Groupon before. Basically, Groupon keep half of whatever you pay, and the company you are getting business only gets half. So, TFC will only be getting $12 for the $42.75 tickets! :facepalm:
If that proves that demand has really died, then nothing else will!

Wooster_TFC
03-21-2012, 09:45 AM
None of those prove that they've burned through the list (depending on your definition of burned).

When the ticket rep calls, they push the more expensive seats, and won't even offer the cheaper seats. They say that you can show up at the seat swap and change seats then, but pay the higher price now. We said no, but we might reconsider in the future, so we are probably still on the list.

If your definition of waiting list is someone who will pay anything to get seats, than yeah, the waiting list is burned.

Red Rat
03-21-2012, 09:58 AM
Question then
There are thousands of SST that are waiting to relocate for cheaper seats, do you go ahead of them or they do? The only seats available will be expensive seats, so is there a waiting list when there are plenty of seats available?

PopePouri
03-21-2012, 10:26 AM
Depends if the people on the waiting list are looking for the right price.

Technorgasm
03-21-2012, 10:44 AM
As per MLSE in year one:
"Prices are set to what the market will bare"

well, it appears the market will not bare the pricing model MLSE has set for BMO.
Either drop the prices or drop your pants MLSE.

Stouffville_RPB
03-21-2012, 11:13 AM
Question then
There are thousands of SST that are waiting to relocate for cheaper seats, do you go ahead of them or they do? The only seats available will be expensive seats, so is there a waiting list when there are plenty of seats available?

Current season seat holders usually get their relocation before new seats are sold. Theoretically then it would always be more expensive seats available to those on the waiting list.

Fort York Redcoat
03-21-2012, 11:20 AM
I've sold stuff in my own company with Groupon before. Basically, Groupon keep half of whatever you pay, and the company you are getting business only gets half. So, TFC will only be getting $12 for the $42.75 tickets! :facepalm:
If that proves that demand has really died, then nothing else will!

No comment. Just worth Quoting. A lot.

glaze
03-21-2012, 07:29 PM
As per MLSE in year one:
"Prices are set to what the market will bare"

well, it appears the market will not bare the pricing model MLSE has set for BMO.
Either drop the prices or drop your pants MLSE.

I think the crowd for the Santos game may be an indication of this. I think they may have overpriced the seats for the public. We'll find out soon.

Wooster_TFC
03-22-2012, 09:14 AM
Current season seat holders usually get their relocation before new seats are sold. Theoretically then it would always be more expensive seats available to those on the waiting list.

More expensive, sure. But the retard on the phone wouldn't even offer us the seats we had on a half pack in the north end. The only seats he was offering were the midfield seats (top two pricing tiers) with the promise of being able to switch.

Basically running a "pay for the expensive one, and it will be no problem to switch to the cheaper one" type of scam. I might have actually gotten seats if it was in the north end, but not with that type of salesmanship.

gmacpheetfc
03-22-2012, 09:20 AM
They should rebuild the south end and make it closer to the pitch and triple its size

Red Rat
03-22-2012, 09:27 AM
More expensive, sure. But the retard on the phone wouldn't even offer us the seats we had on a half pack in the north end. The only seats he was offering were the midfield seats (top two pricing tiers) with the promise of being able to switch.

Basically running a "pay for the expensive one, and it will be no problem to switch to the cheaper one" type of scam. I might have actually gotten seats if it was in the north end, but not with that type of salesmanship.

What they didn't force you to buy Marlies tickets as well? you got lucky there

Primavera
03-22-2012, 10:08 AM
Just noticed the 3 pack for sale (3 homes games, incl. Santos) for the same price that SSH pay (not including the TM service charges, of course.)

pdogg
03-22-2012, 06:46 PM

From what I've heard, anyone who wanted to switch from the more expensive ones (Dark Grey/Red) had seats available for them to switch to. Is there anyone that didn't get to move to cheaper seats? I was negative on them when this was originally announced myself, but I haven't heard any complaints after the fact. They had a good grasp of how many relocation seats would be available to new SSHs and were not actively trying to deceive or scam you. Heck, relocation in the first season? That was a luxury many of us beforehand never had - I was in dark greys for two years because nothing was ever available at my relocation event.

Wooster_TFC
03-23-2012, 08:33 AM
From what I've heard, anyone who wanted to switch from the more expensive ones (Dark Grey/Red) had seats available for them to switch to. Is there anyone that didn't get to move to cheaper seats? I was negative on them when this was originally announced myself, but I haven't heard any complaints after the fact. They had a good grasp of how many relocation seats would be available to new SSHs and were not actively trying to deceive or scam you. Heck, relocation in the first season? That was a luxury many of us beforehand never had - I was in dark greys for two years because nothing was ever available at my relocation event.

Sure. But being located in Waterloo meant that it was possible I wouldn't make it to the seat relocation event.

Anyways, the point was that I don't think the waiting list is gone completely, just understood better.

pdogg
03-23-2012, 12:26 PM
Sure. But being located in Waterloo meant that it was possible I wouldn't make it to the seat relocation event.

That in itself is an entirely different issue - I was responding to what you called a scam and a poor form of salesmenship.

Anyways, the point was that I don't think the waiting list is gone completely, just understood better.

Absolutely. With the exception of year 2, 3 (maybe 4?), there is less demand for tickets at any price. The novelty has worn out in getting TFC season tickets, so people are being far more more reasonable with their money.

If I was sitting in your position today, I wouldn't buy into dark greys either - the benefits I have from going to the game are not worth the $1200 - to me. Anyone who has ever wanted to buy the dark greys and reds have always been able to purchase them, and that portion of the waiting list has been exhausted. Anyone else still on the waiting list is holding out for cheaper tickets. I think the FO understood that this year and put in the relocation event for new SSHers - they could capture those who might be willing to stick it out for a year in dark greys, if it came down to it, but would have a really good chance of getting into cheaper seats before then. When they did that, they kind of screwed over the partial seat groups because they pretty much opened up the whole stadium (outside of the SG) and everyone grabbed the cheaper seats so partials were more expensive.

TL;DR - I agree. :)

Wooster_TFC
03-24-2012, 08:51 AM
Calling it a scam my have been hyperbole, but it is definitely a poor form of salesmanship. When a customer is will to pay for a cheaper product, and you refuse to sell him that cheaper product and offer him a more expensive product, with the potential option to switch to the cheaper one is poor form.

That said, glad we agree.

pdogg
03-24-2012, 03:43 PM
I don't think it's poor salesmanship because they didn't know which cheaper tickets were available because relocation hadn't occurred yet. As a SSH, I'd be pissed if they sold ANY new seats in the cheaper areas before I had a chance to relocate. the difference between this year and previous years was the new tickets were sold earlier. They didn't wait until after relocation and they needed to attack it differently to not have those already renewed to be mad at them further. Given the timeline, how would you have handled it differently?

Wooster_TFC
03-24-2012, 10:17 PM
See, had it been explained that way (that existing season seat holders might want to move), then I fully understand and strongly support the tack that they were taking. Guess it was just poor communication on his end then.

Dave67
03-25-2012, 07:32 PM
I don't think it's poor salesmanship because they didn't know which cheaper tickets were available because relocation hadn't occurred yet. As a SSH, I'd be pissed if they sold ANY new seats in the cheaper areas before I had a chance to relocate. the difference between this year and previous years was the new tickets were sold earlier. They didn't wait until after relocation and they needed to attack it differently to not have those already renewed to be mad at them further. Given the timeline, how would you have handled it differently?

It came across as very poor salesmanship to me. I had seasons for the first 5 seasons. Due to financial issues I could only afford to renew my 2 seats in a lower price level. 5 years of being a STH got me the same answer as everyone else. A poorly thought out 'renew and hope for lower priced seats'. They could have given me and other STH an option to renew when the relocation areas were known. So I had to bail out on being a STH. I couldn't tie up the money of my existing tickets.

They could have been remotely flexible, but they were not. They were so inflexible that when I asked to go back on the waiting list my sales rep told me it was not possible. My (online) account with the club would not let me go on the list either as the online system already had me as having an active account (even though it held no seats). I had to sign back into the waiting list by creating a second account under a different e-mail address ( a small but process but a really annoying one to have to do under the circumstances).

So now they are selling via Groupon. How ironic that it has come to that. How really ironic that the thread is created (apparently) by someone who created an account for the purpose of making a post to tell us we can get tickets on Groupon.

Auzzy
03-25-2012, 08:37 PM
simon151 created an account in March 2011, in order to post in March 2012 that we can tickets on Groupon? Wow, quite the foresight! ;)

pdogg
03-26-2012, 12:37 PM
It came across as very poor salesmanship to me. I had seasons for the first 5 seasons. Due to financial issues I could only afford to renew my 2 seats in a lower price level. 5 years of being a STH got me the same answer as everyone else. A poorly thought out 'renew and hope for lower priced seats'. They could have given me and other STH an option to renew when the relocation areas were known. So I had to bail out on being a STH. I couldn't tie up the money of my existing tickets.

This is a completely different situation than Woosters.

First off - I don't mean to belittle your situation, as I have no idea what financial troubles you have. Having said that, many of us as STH have financial difficulties too and would have liked to renew at cheaper rates - but what you were asking to do is to jump ahead of everyone else in the stadium to select your seats. As a STH for 5 years, you would know what the process is for relocating your seats. Heck, you would have had a very early slot and an excellent chance to move to cheaper seats. I've been a STH from year 3 and was more than able the last two years to move around the stadium (I've never been in the same seats more than one season). My grouping has always been very well attended as it's always been in the evening but was almost always filled with those who had purchased in at dark grey prices.

The FO, as far as I can tell was upfront with everyone as to what the process is. They said that if you bought in, you would have a very good chance of moving (I think I remember one poster claiming that it was all but guaranteed). And as I asked earlier in the thread - was there anyone who bought into the so called "scam" and was not able to move to cheaper seats? So far no one has come forward, but it has only been four days.

Red Rat
03-26-2012, 12:44 PM
simon151 created an account in March 2011, in order to post in March 2012 that we can tickets on Groupon? Wow, quite the foresight! ;)

we need a head scratching smiley

Dave67
03-26-2012, 01:33 PM
This is a completely different situation than Woosters.

First off - I don't mean to belittle your situation, as I have no idea what financial troubles you have. Having said that, many of us as STH have financial difficulties too and would have liked to renew at cheaper rates - but what you were asking to do is to jump ahead of everyone else in the stadium to select your seats. As a STH for 5 years, you would know what the process is for relocating your seats. Heck, you would have had a very early slot and an excellent chance to move to cheaper seats. I've been a STH from year 3 and was more than able the last two years to move around the stadium (I've never been in the same seats more than one season). My grouping has always been very well attended as it's always been in the evening but was almost always filled with those who had purchased in at dark grey prices.

The FO, as far as I can tell was upfront with everyone as to what the process is. They said that if you bought in, you would have a very good chance of moving (I think I remember one poster claiming that it was all but guaranteed). And as I asked earlier in the thread - was there anyone who bought into the so called "scam" and was not able to move to cheaper seats? So far no one has come forward, but it has only been four days.

The club is in the business of selling tickets. They of all people should have seen that renewals were going to be way down this year. They should have been actively polling subscribers and should have known well in advance that renewals would be down. I am not referring to new subscribers here, just renewals. With that information they should have been able to come up with something a little more creative.

To be clear I was not asking to jump any line. I was asking for the right to refuse my renewal if no lower priced seat was available at my renewal time. I'm not saying my suggestion is the right one, but I do find it odd they could not come up with any sort of option or idea. I also find it odd no one is surprised that they won't let me on the waiting list, let me know how to get on it or even seem to care about it. Just apply again under different info is pretty weak

As for the poster who created the thread. My bad. The month lined up and they have exactly one post. Looks odd.

GBV
03-26-2012, 04:28 PM
From Saturday's Globe and Mail:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/a-tfc-ticket-discount/article2380198/

pdogg
03-27-2012, 08:55 AM
To be clear I was not asking to jump any line. I was asking for the right to refuse my renewal if no lower priced seat was available at my renewal time. I'm not saying my suggestion is the right one, but I do find it odd they could not come up with any sort of option or idea. I also find it odd no one is surprised that they won't let me on the waiting list, let me know how to get on it or even seem to care about it. Just apply again under different info is pretty weak

How would they be able to offer you a cheaper priced ticket during the renewal period? They don't know which seats will be available until the renewal period ends and STHs have let their tickets go. At that point, the relocation starts where those who have committed fully to tickets a chance to relocate. I'm not sure where you think your opportunity to switch seats should have gone into the timeline that wouldn't be considered cutting in?

Dave67
03-27-2012, 05:36 PM
How would they be able to offer you a cheaper priced ticket during the renewal period? They don't know which seats will be available until the renewal period ends and STHs have let their tickets go. At that point, the relocation starts where those who have committed fully to tickets a chance to relocate. I'm not sure where you think your opportunity to switch seats should have gone into the timeline that wouldn't be considered cutting in?

and that's fair enough. Like I said, I'm not saying my solution was the right solution I am just saying they came up with nothing and they are in the business of selling tickets. They should have known heading out of last season renewals would be down and come up with some ideas. I'm probably more annoyed at the song and dance routine I have to do to end up on a waiting list again.