PDA

View Full Version : MLS Week 3 thread

Yohan
03-19-2012, 11:57 PM
Fri 23 Mar
Houston at Seattle, 10pm
-Classic battle of stingy defence vs flashy attack. Should be a fun game, but Seattle to win it. (Houston fullbacks are going to get abused by Fernandez and Rosales) Houston's offence hasn't clicked in either.
Yohan's prediction: Seattle 2-1 Houston

Sat 24 Mar
San Jose at Toronto, 1pm
-San Jose has improved, but still needs jelling. More fluid Toronto attack should be able to beat San Jose, providing TFC defence can handle Big Bird and Wondo. (Watch for San Jose's Tresor Moreno, who can spray passes all over the pitch)
Yohan's prediction: Toronto 2-1 San Jose

Portland at New England, 4pm
-Portland was lucky to squeak a point at Dallas, and travels to New England who are in all sorts of trouble. Potential to be a boring 1-1 game, or a goal fest.
Yohan's prediction: New England 2-2 Portland

Montreal at Columbus, 4pm
-Despite the high of home opener, Montreal will struggle on the road at Columbus, who didn't look good vs Colorado, but had the week off and at home.
Yohan's prediction: Columbus 2-0 Montreal

Philadelphia at Chicago, 830pm
-Philadelphia is in big trouble, esp after losing to Colorado at home even with a man up. Doesn't get easier at Chicago who didn't play particular well, but did enough to escape Montreal with a point.
Yohan's prediction: Chicago 2-1 Philadelphia

Chivas USA at Real Salt Lake, 9pm
-It doesn't get easier for Chivas USA who lost two at home, and now travels to RSL side who handily dispatched two of better teams in MLS... without their key players Morales and Saborio starting. Just not seems fair when you bring in Saborio and Morales off the bench and still win.
Yohan's prediction: RSL 3-1 Chivas USA

DC United at Vancouver, 10pm
-Martin Rennie > Ben Olsen. Both team has talent, one manager knows how to use them. The other doesn't.
Yohan's prediction: Vancouver 2-1 DC United

Sun 25 Mar
Colorado at New York, 4pm
-Pressure is on Hans Backe to start winning, after poor showing in 2 games. Not easy to win against Colorado side who looks good under new coach Oscar Pareja and has won 2 in a row, incl impressive away victory at Philly.
Yohan's prediction: New York 1-1 Colorado

Dallas at Kansas City, 7pm
-My pick of the week as exciting Kansas City who looks to be cream of the East takes on Dallas who looks rejuvenated with some key signings.
Yohan's prediction: Kansas City 2-2 Dallas

Detroit_TFC
03-20-2012, 07:25 AM
The Columbus v Montreal game will be interesting. CC is one of the teams that lost more than they gained in the offseason. Same as last season. Everyone wrote them off the beginning of last season and then Bobby W took them on a good run of performance. I don't expect the same this year but who knows. If they don't dominate on Saturday, they are in trouble.

Also - what the heck is going on with Nowak in Philly?

Roogsy
03-20-2012, 10:19 AM
Man, DC is look awful. They'd better be careful. 0-0-3 is a difficult hole to climb out of.

Whoop
03-20-2012, 10:22 AM
So Yohan does your prediction change now that Frings is out?

Yohan
03-20-2012, 01:17 PM
So Yohan does your prediction change now that Frings is out?

Maybe more inclined to a draw, but I still expect TFC to win.

Roogsy
03-20-2012, 01:22 PM
San Jose is still a poor squad. We should expect a win, although not as dominant a performance without Frings.

Yohan
03-20-2012, 01:55 PM
San Jose is still a poor squad. We should expect a win, although not as dominant a performance without Frings.
I disagree. I think SJ has potential to be a dark horse in the West. They have a lot of good talented players, now they just need to put it together. If this squad has a good manager, (I don't think Yallop is good enough) SJ might surprise a lot of people. They really took it to Houston on Sat and unlucky to not to score a goal

zamperina
03-20-2012, 02:13 PM
I like your picks Yohan...I think San Jose has either won or tied here the last few years so I'm expecting a tie in this one.

Canary10
03-20-2012, 02:17 PM
I agree San Jose is a decent team. But these are the teams we should be beating at home. Won't be easy but we need three points. San Jose was one of those games we gave up two points last year in the last minutes of the game. We can't have those if we're going to move up the table.

Yohan
03-20-2012, 03:35 PM
Mauro Rosales out with a knee injury for Seattle. Now I think Houston might get out with a draw. Why couldn't Rosales be injured for TFC game? :p

daner90
03-20-2012, 04:01 PM
Mauro Rosales out with a knee injury for Seattle. Now I think Houston might get out with a draw. Why couldn't Rosales be injured for TFC game? :p

We need to update this thread once the proline odds come out...could Yohan make us all very rich?

We will see this weekend...

mowe
03-20-2012, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the round-up. I'm looking forward to Vancouver-DC, should be a high scoring game.

Yohan
03-20-2012, 05:50 PM
We need to update this thread once the proline odds come out...could Yohan make us all very rich?

We will see this weekend...
I got 5 out of 8 right in week 1 with 2 exact scores and 5 out of 9 in week 2 with 1 exact score :p

Yohan
03-20-2012, 05:52 PM
still can't get enough of this celebration

http://i.imgur.com/kRD5V.gif

jloome
03-20-2012, 06:12 PM
Wow, I was 8 for 9 with only the tie in Montreal incorrect and a couple of exact scores. Should start betting on this league.

ensco
03-20-2012, 06:30 PM
NY has to beat Colorado. I think they will. Otherwise Backe could be in trouble soon.

jloome
03-20-2012, 06:38 PM
Fri 23 Mar
Houston at Seattle, 10pm
-Classic battle of stingy defence vs flashy attack. Should be a fun game, but Seattle to win it. (Houston fullbacks are going to get abused by Fernandez and Rosales) Houston's offence hasn't clicked in either.
I'm going with 1-1

Sat 24 Mar
San Jose at Toronto, 1pm
-San Jose has improved, but still needs jelling. More fluid Toronto attack should be able to beat San Jose, providing TFC defence can handle Big Bird and Wondo. (Watch for San Jose's Tresor Moreno, who can spray passes all over the pitch)
I'll go with 2-2. Our central defence will struggle with Wondo but we should be able to get two at home.

-Portland was lucky to squeak a point at Dallas, and travels to New England who are in all sorts of trouble. Potential to be a boring 1-1 game, or a goal fest.
3-0 Portland. Even though they were woeful on the road last year, Portland have too much going forward for New England.

-Despite the high of home opener, Montreal will struggle on the road at Columbus, who didn't look good vs Colorado, but had the week off and at home.
1-0 Columbus. The Crew have seriously morale problems but defensively should be able to shut down Montreal.

-Philadelphia is in big trouble, esp after losing to Colorado at home even with a man up. Doesn't get easier at Chicago who didn't play particular well, but did enough to escape Montreal with a point.
Yeah, I like 2-1, same reasons. Expect Nowak to be gone soon, based on his Mo-like relationships.

-It doesn't get easier for Chivas USA who lost two at home, and now travels to RSL side who handily dispatched two of better teams in MLS... without their key players Morales and Saborio starting. Just not seems fair when you bring in Saborio and Morales off the bench and still win.
2-0 RSL. Chivas are woeful.

-Martin Rennie > Ben Olsen. Both team has talent, one manager knows how to use them. The other doesn't.
Good call on the coaching front, lol. I'll say 2-2, with DeRo stealing a pt. at the end.

Sun 25 Mar
-Pressure is on Hans Backe to start winning, after poor showing in 2 games. Not easy to win against Colorado side who looks good under new coach Oscar Pareja and has won 2 in a row, incl impressive away victory at Philly.
NY is in trouble again, as they match up badly with the 433 and Colorado is cohesive. 1-1 is a good call. I'll say 2-1 Colorado.

-My pick of the week as exciting Kansas City who looks to be cream of the East takes on Dallas who looks rejuvenated with some key signings.
Yeah another one with draw written all over it. I'll say 1-1.

Thanks for another thread this week, Yohan.

jloome
03-20-2012, 06:39 PM
He's the walking dead, Ensco.

Roogsy
03-24-2012, 11:13 PM
DC draws the Whitecaps in Vancouver. Very entertaining game. Vancouver seems to have sorted their defensive issues. Rennie showing his promotion to MLS was well deserved.

Alonso
03-25-2012, 01:43 AM
Sunday better be aces for you Yohan, or else it's been a bad week of predictions. And Jloome had a worse go of it this week. Predictions can be a terrible beast.

Some weird games this weekend...

RSL losing at home to Chivas, TFC losing badly at home, NE beating Portland at home.

Who'd of thunk.

Fri 23 Mar
Houston at Seattle, 10pm

Sat 24 Mar
San Jose at Toronto, 1pm

Sun 25 Mar

Alonso
03-25-2012, 02:07 AM
That red card was ridiculous. The conspiracy theororist in me thinks that the league bought the ref...

The Columbus v Montreal game will be interesting. CC is one of the teams that lost more than they gained in the offseason. Same as last season. Everyone wrote them off the beginning of last season and then Bobby W took them on a good run of performance. I don't expect the same this year but who knows. If they don't dominate on Saturday, they are in trouble.

Also - what the heck is going on with Nowak in Philly?

Alonso
03-25-2012, 03:53 PM
New York is off to a blazing start with 2 goals against Colorado in the first 15 minutes.

Yohan
03-25-2012, 04:26 PM
New York is off to a blazing start with 2 goals against Colorado in the first 15 minutes.
that was vintage henry for NY's 3rd goal. Rapids getting spanked big time. shocking results in MLS this week

Alonso
03-25-2012, 04:33 PM
that was vintage henry for NY's 3rd goal. Rapids getting spanked big time. shocking results in MLS this week

Yeah I guess the New York is dead calls were a bit premature.

Lot's of surprising results this week for sure. Maybe TFC falls into that category and things will start to settle more like we expect in the weeks to come.

Yohan
03-25-2012, 04:47 PM
3-1 NY after Omar Cummings buries a nice goal just outside the box after Marquez (running for worst DP ever) giveaway

Yohan
03-25-2012, 04:59 PM
4-1 NY. Cooper now has 3 goals in 3 games. Is the 08 Kenny Cooper back? If so... scary NY attack

Auzzy
03-25-2012, 08:56 PM
That red card was ridiculous. The conspiracy theororist in me thinks that the league bought the ref...

Are you sure? Do you mean from the Columbus - Montreal game? The guy's elbow was really high & far away from his body, right into the other guy's ear. Not the worst red card I've seen. (The red card against NE last week, that I thought was bigger bullshit.)

I think we will see even more erratic red cards this season. After some serious injuries to star players last year, the league has told the refs to clamp down (and the league says they will dish out further discipline post-game). The problem is, with some of the weak refs, and alot of the herky jerky play we see in the league, anything could happen. Cards could be a real crap shoot this season.

Detroit_TFC
03-26-2012, 09:08 AM
New reffing directives from the (league?, USSF/CSA?, PRO? my mom?) always seem to cause disorder for the first few weeks, until the refs go back to what they have always done and be more consistent.

Fort York Redcoat
03-27-2012, 10:36 AM
Seattle keep on rolling but that's no surprise. Houston barely made it past San Jose last week.

What happened to Portland? Cherish a win, NE.

Mirosevic is in on a goal for Columbus, shame he had to go. We'll have to keep an eye on him this weekend. Montreal were shocking but for Ricketts. I can't stand they have our sponsor and it suits them better.

That Chicago match was electric in comparison to just a couple years ago. The Union were lucky it wasn't 2,3, or 4 that went by them. Glad to see that Toyota Park isn't turning into Frisco.

So Chivas stole one from Salt Lake with the help of the referee and their keeper Kennedy. He may have go for most saves this year with Ricketts from Montreal. See who can stay healthy.

T-boy
03-27-2012, 10:58 AM
4-1 NY. Cooper now has 3 goals in 3 games. Is the 08 Kenny Cooper back? If so... scary NY attack

When Cooper is played in the centre, he scores goals. Why Portland ever played him out wide sometimes is beyond me! You feed Cooper with crosses, he's deadly! He could score a load in NY.