PDA

View Full Version : Delay the Crew game?

canadian_bhoy
03-15-2012, 12:29 PM
Should TFC appeal to MLS to delay their match again Columbus so that they're rested for the CL game?

This happens in Europe quite often - fixtures are moved so that teams can compete in the UEFA CL. Going up against Santos is going to be tough enough - going up against them on a few days rest will be really tough.

TFC are the lone representative of the league now - that should mean something and MLS should do everything they can to ensure that their teams succeed on the international stage.

Let's just play those dickheads from Columbus mid-week some other time in the season.

Thoughts?

tfcleeds
03-15-2012, 12:31 PM
If MLS didn't make such allowances for their prize pig (Galaxy), I can't see why they'd do it for us. But yeah, hopefully they take that into consideration.

McBrace
03-15-2012, 12:32 PM
It's worth a shot.

eustacchio
03-15-2012, 12:34 PM
They did move that game for the Real Madrid friendly...

They also wouldn't move that San Jose game during the WCQ when we were missing eleven guys, and SJ had agreed to postpone the game...

Suds
03-15-2012, 12:40 PM
Should TFC appeal to MLS to delay their match again Columbus so that they're rested for the CL game?

This happens in Europe quite often - fixtures are moved so that teams can compete in the UEFA CL. Going up against Santos is going to be tough enough - going up against them on a few days rest will be really tough.

TFC are the lone representative of the league now - that should mean something and MLS should do everything they can to ensure that their teams succeed on the international stage.

Let's just play those dickheads from Columbus mid-week some other time in the season.

Thoughts?

If it helped our team then I'm all for it.

From a MLS perspective, they should do what they can to help all MLS teams succeed in the CONCACAF CCL tournament. Success in the tournament will always be used to measure how the level of play in the MLS is increasing.

It would make sense for the league to keep this in mind for any teams that are playing moving forward.

KGH
03-15-2012, 12:55 PM
I'd like to see it happen as well along with reaching out to Colorado to get a week or so of training at altitude.

rocker
03-15-2012, 12:59 PM
Yes, they should ask MLS to do this.

LA didn't ask to move the RSL game, according to rumour on twitter today. That would have meant losing a date in the summer for a friendly....

If we've got fixture congestion, it's going to be very tough to get a good result at home against Santos. If we have a week of rest (and Santos sends some subs), we could potentially get a very good result and not have to depend too much on the second leg.

Fort York Redcoat
03-15-2012, 01:03 PM
Please move the match to the summer and replace a friendly!

Oh. I guess the likelyhood of $that$ happening is low.

__wowza
03-15-2012, 01:03 PM
how about going "hey, theyre the only MLS team left, lets cut em a break".

now ill hold my breath and wait until the "which is more important, the CCL or the MLS? which should we be playing/resting players for?" discussion to start. I EXPECT A POLL.

jabbronies
03-15-2012, 01:05 PM
The game is at home - so I don't see why it would be a problem to move. Doesn't TFC have first rights to BMO Field?

I guess the only hiccup would be broadcast rescheduling.

Globetrotter
03-15-2012, 01:05 PM
SJ on Saturday, Santos on Wednesday. These guys are pros and it's the start of the season. They should be well rested and have enough stamina to play both games.

Canary10
03-15-2012, 01:06 PM
Why bother? We'll just start the same team that played Vancouver in the Mickey Mouse Cup and pick up an easy three points.

JonO
03-15-2012, 01:11 PM
We have space in the summer where the Chicago game used to be...

Heart of Stone
03-15-2012, 01:28 PM
We have space in the summer where the Chicago game used to be...

What happened to the Chicago game?

McBrace
03-15-2012, 01:32 PM
^ Moved to September I think.

Wagner
03-15-2012, 01:34 PM
twitter campaign?

isn't there a #MLS4TFC already started? we could hijack that one.

TOBOR !
03-15-2012, 01:52 PM
There's only one way MLS would agree to do this : if Aron can ask David Beckham to tell Garber to do it.

Carts
03-15-2012, 02:45 PM
If MLS didn't make such allowances for their prize pig (Galaxy), I can't see why they'd do it for us. But yeah, hopefully they take that into consideration.

My guess, the cocky LA Galaxy never asked...

TFC should try... Go to the league and say "...the trillium cup is being lost in Champions League fever..." ;)

Yohan
03-15-2012, 02:50 PM

TFC should try... Go to the league and say "...the trillium cup is being lost in Champions League fever..." ;)
I think I read in an article that LA did ask, but MLS FO said no

trane
03-15-2012, 03:16 PM
YES. the Santos game is over and above anything else at this point.

trane
03-15-2012, 03:17 PM

trillium what????

NBS
03-15-2012, 03:20 PM
They did it for RSL, but only in the finals. If TFC get to that stage, I expect the same treatment, but to ask for it as the semi-final stage might be a bit much. What if TFC made the finals too, they're going to move two games that are already set? That disrupts multiple teams' schedules (which are already tight) and broadcasting. I don't think MLS would go for it, and I can't blame them.

Oldtimer
03-15-2012, 03:21 PM
I think I read in an article that LA did ask, but MLS FO said no

You are probably thinking of Garber's comments after the after-the-fact whining by LA. It doesn't appear that they asked, though, however Garber quite defensively explained that fixture congestion is a fact of life.

Code Red
03-15-2012, 03:26 PM
If you don't ask, the answer is always 'no'.

Jack
03-15-2012, 03:45 PM
There's no harm in knocking on the door, but let's not freak out if MLS doesn't let us in.

prizby
03-15-2012, 03:54 PM
move the game to when we play chicago

Technorgasm
03-15-2012, 04:01 PM
no. plese dont.

MY cousin is coming from Brighton UK, and the 31st is the only day he can make it to TFC.

so. . ya. . . FOOTBALL!

Shway
03-15-2012, 04:05 PM
i would literally be shocked if they didnt support us.

They did it for real salt lake in there quest for the champions league

Technorgasm
03-15-2012, 04:07 PM
Crew have now sold 5,000 Season tickets.
http://massivereport.com/content/dar...ive-paying-off (http://massivereport.com/content/dar...ive-paying-off)

ouderwien
03-15-2012, 04:31 PM
i would literally be shocked if they didnt support us.

They did it for real salt lake in there quest for the champions league

That is exactly what I was going to say.

The league did it for RSL last year so TFC should do it as well. I think the week off this week helped them focus on tatics for LA and this will allow them to focus on an even harder opponent.

Plus, I may not be able to attend the Columbus Game so this will work out for me as well to be able to go to the game afterall.

Phil
03-15-2012, 04:37 PM
I can ask but when TV is involved it is no longer about the football.

QSIM
03-15-2012, 05:07 PM
I could have sworn RSL got a match moved last year...

NBS
03-15-2012, 05:08 PM
I could have sworn RSL got a match moved last year...

For the finals only.

ensco
03-15-2012, 10:06 PM
Why bother? We'll just start the same team that played Vancouver in the Mickey Mouse Cup and pick up an easy three points.

If they don't let us move the game, we should do a poll or something well in advance about who the lineup should be for that game. I expect it would come in 80% or more in favour of playing the kids. The existence of a poll like that may help give Winter and the FO "backbone" to make that call (there will be a worry that the home fans may feel "cheated" if they don't put the first team out there, people paid full price, integrity of the game, blah blah blah)

I like the idea of taking the team to Colorado for a week. Also it would be interesting to see Bent and the Academy play a full MLS game for real, and this would be a unique opportunity for a lot of the kids.

__wowza
03-16-2012, 08:34 AM
^ BEAT THEM WITH THE KIDS!!

im sure most of us will agree, trillium cup < CCL.
and seriously, if one game is the deciding factor between playoffs and no playoffs, then we have bigger problems this season.

Pinkie
03-16-2012, 08:44 AM
^ BEAT THEM WITH THE KIDS!!

im sure most of us will agree, trillium cup < CCL.
and seriously, if one game is the deciding factor between playoffs and no playoffs, then we have bigger problems this season.

um hasn't that been the case like every seasson?

but you're right we had a few problems back then lol.

it'd be great for them to move the game...but I don't see it happening. however it couldn't hurt to ask. I'm thinking they will/already have?

Chris Wren
03-16-2012, 09:05 AM
Play to win every game. None of these games are exhibitions. When they're meaningful games it's necessary to try and take all points in all competitions.

When you rest players you have the potential to lose both games, which is an ugly situation to be in.

james
03-17-2012, 11:23 AM
they should ask to, MLS tho does not like switching dates.

Flipityflu
03-17-2012, 11:27 AM
why would anybody possibly think this would happen. if the don't move a game for LA, its not going to happen for us.