PDA

View Full Version : CCL: Santos Laguna @ Toronto FC First Leg Pre-Match/Match Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

Shakes McQueen
03-15-2012, 09:22 AM
I'm so happy I get to make this thread!

So, what do you guys think? What are our chances? They pummelled Seattle into dust in their second match, but Seattle won the first one.

Another chance at an upset?

- Scott

Roogsy
03-15-2012, 09:24 AM
I am not feeling as positive about this one as I was the LA game.

Can we beat them? Can any MLS team?

Watching the Sounders game highlights made me sweat.

trane
03-15-2012, 09:24 AM
I think that in the present form we can upset them. Hopefully we can another CB or our weak link ( I will not name him but his last name starts with H and the first digit of his shirt is 2) at the back will be exposed.

BUT we need to switch the 4-3-3 into a 4-2-3-1 Mou Inter style, with the wingers playing deep. Soolsma can do it, Johnson I think can do it, Plata???? I am not sure.

Shakes McQueen
03-15-2012, 09:26 AM

Yeah, it was pretty ugly. And their record at home is unnerving.

It may end here, but goddamn it, I want to believe! haha

- scott

Whoop
03-15-2012, 09:26 AM
Just hoping for a positive result at home just like when TFC managed a draw against Pumas last year.

But anything goes in Torreon.

trane
03-15-2012, 09:28 AM
I am really looking forward to this, playing a truly good team by any standard in an important game.

WE WILL NEED TO DEFEND. Score at home, and defend, defend, defend away. GRIND A VICTORY OUT.

Roogsy
03-15-2012, 09:31 AM
I don't know if we're good enough in the back. I don't think we did enough in the off-season to address the defence situation, even though I will admit the team did try.

Red Rat
03-15-2012, 09:32 AM
defend is something that is not in our vocabulary nor playing anything else but 343

trane
03-15-2012, 09:32 AM
^ That is the issue. We cannot play an open game Santos will kill us.

Red Rat
03-15-2012, 09:36 AM
I truly think that Winter will be forced to change the play, but it goes against the very principle of *(sick of using you know what formation). This is were it will prove if Winter is the right man for the job

drewski
03-15-2012, 09:37 AM
Not holding my breath...but, Cruz Azul did knock them out last year, and we beat Cruz Azul on aggregate in the group stage. Not the same circumstances, but, its something.

Shakes McQueen
03-15-2012, 09:38 AM
I truly think that Winter will be forced to change the play, but it goes against the very principle of 433. This is were it will prove if Winter is the right man for the job

I don't know if there's THAT much riding on the line in a game against a team like Santos.

- Scott

Red Rat
03-15-2012, 09:38 AM
something else to think about this guys are mid season, we are just starting

trane
03-15-2012, 09:39 AM
I truly think that Winter will be forced to change the play, but it goes against the very principle of *(sick of using you know what formation). This is were it will prove if Winter is the right man for the job

Agreed that this will be one of those matches were Winter will have to step up as the tactician.

Red Rat
03-15-2012, 09:39 AM
I don't know if there's THAT much riding on the line in a game against a team like Santos.

- Scott
that is not what I meant but it is a sign

Whoop
03-15-2012, 09:42 AM
I just hope TFC doesn't pull a Seattle or a L'Imp act against Santos.

Red Rat
03-15-2012, 09:42 AM

if we could only get a draw away, people will go nuts over here

phonzo
03-15-2012, 09:43 AM
Agreed 3-4-3 won't work against them not to mention as soon as we play the away leg we will have the good ole fashioned anti-ref. Seattle had some brutal calls against them last night and we've seen how bad it can be playing there. Points at home and draw 0-0 away is key.

Huyton
Our Winter will make them discontent.

Seattle managed to get a result at home.

Winter said in an interview last night that they knew all about Santos (they'll have had scouts at the games).

I see no reason why we cannot also get a result in Toronto, too, and then park the bus in the second game. The high line we played last night will be suicide against Santos, but TFC seems to be able to adapt to play their opposition now.

The next step in TFC's evolution is to make their opponents play the way TFC wants them...to make the other team have to respond to what TFC is doing.

Red Rat
I just hope TFC doesn't pull a Seattle or a L'Imp act against Santos.
not unless money is involved,
I didn't say that did I?

brad
03-15-2012, 09:44 AM
Not holding my breath...but, Cruz Azul did knock them out last year, and we beat Cruz Azul on aggregate in the group stage. Not the same circumstances, but, its something.

I beleive we are 1W-2D-1L against Mexican opposition. Not optimistic about this one, but who knows.

trane
03-15-2012, 09:45 AM

- Scott

He may not get a bigger game. Santos or Barca, this is not an exhibition game, and we have the players we have and winter has to go out and try to get a result. Sure it will be tough, but he has to make it competitive. We have to be in it.

APOEL is in the final 8 in Europe. It does not have nearly the talent that the any of the other 7 have, but the right tactics and team play can take you far in any team sport, particularly football.

We are in the finals, I expect BUTTER.

__wowza
03-15-2012, 09:45 AM
I think that in the present form we can upset them. Hopefully we can another CB or our weak link ( I will not name him but his last name starts with H and the first digit of his shirt is 2) at the back will be exposed.

i agree, as long as one of our CBs get's his shit together (i won't name him either, but i'll give you a hint: it's TY HARDEN), we'll be fine. seriously, that man is a fucking liability.

Shakes McQueen
03-15-2012, 09:46 AM
We are in the finals, I expect BUTTER.

Alright! You've convinced me! Haha.

Man, how apeshit will we all go if we were to seriously make the CCL Final?

- Scott

Red Rat
maybe the new defender will be fit to play and we will have a proper 4 and De Guzman with Frings in front of them

KGH
If you watched the Seattle game last night you can see the players ran out of gas. I think it has to do with altitude. Santos Laguna play at 3,674 ft above sea level. In comparison Denver is at 5,280 feet while Seattle is at its highest point 520 feet and Toronto is at 249 feet.

I pulled this off the web

"As mentioned, high altitude is accompanied by a decrease in the partial pressure of oxygen which, turn, leads to a reduction in the driving pressure for oxygen transport and a corresponding fall in VO2max. The magnitude of this decline is around 5-7% per 1,000m(4) (http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/altitude-training-effects.html#ref). An increase in altitude of as little as 600m has been shown to decrease the performance of cyclists in five-minute cycle power test by 5.9%(5) (http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/altitude-training-effects.html#ref)."

Red Rat
03-15-2012, 09:47 AM

- Scott
Apeshit haha
Alexander Keith's will be our new sponsor

trane
03-15-2012, 09:48 AM

- Scott

That would be fucking great. I would cry.

[ I meant semi-finals I got ahead of myself]

trane
03-15-2012, 09:50 AM
maybe the new defender will be fit to play and we will have a proper 4 and De Guzman with Frings in front of them

That is my hope, that defensive box to be solid. De Guzman and Frings are as good a pair of DMs in CONCACAF, if we can put two solid CBs behind them, and our fullbacks, have been playing great.

Red Rat
03-15-2012, 09:50 AM
If you watched the Seattle game last night you can see the players ran out of gas. I think it has to do with altitude. Santos Laguna play at 3,674 ft above sea level. In comparison Denver is at 5,280 feet while Seattle is at its highest point 520 feet and Toronto is at 249 feet.

I pulled this off the web

"As mentioned, high altitude is accompanied by a decrease in the partial pressure of oxygen which, turn, leads to a reduction in the driving pressure for oxygen transport and a corresponding fall in VO2max. The magnitude of this decline is around 5-7% per 1,000m(4) (http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/altitude-training-effects.html#ref). An increase in altitude of as little as 600m has been shown to decrease the performance of cyclists in five-minute cycle power test by 5.9%(5) (http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/altitude-training-effects.html#ref)."
no problem at all
we will take Plata's blood and infuse it to the other players. Easy done

Toronto Funk
03-15-2012, 09:52 AM
Anytime I come up against a daunting task or meeting with someone who is intimidating to me I always think back to what Duke said to Rocy in Rocky 4.

Duke: He's worried! You cut him! You hurt him! You see? You see? He's not a machine, he's a man!

I don't care what they did to Seattle. We just went into to LA's house and beat them. No LA excuses about 3 games in a week cut it for me. They are athletes and paid to do their jobs. We just did it better.

Mr. Momentum wears red!

trane
03-15-2012, 09:53 AM
When Are The Fucking Tickets Going On Sale??????

Carts
03-15-2012, 09:55 AM
Do people think LA could be Santos - yes.

We beat LA - we can beat Santos.

Difficult - yes.
Underdogs - yes.
Uphill battle - yes.

But... WE CAN DO IT...!!!

Shakes McQueen
03-15-2012, 09:58 AM
These are the mornings that remind me why I love being a fan - even of a team that has stomped all over my heart repeatedly.

It feels good.

- Scott

Red Rat
03-15-2012, 09:59 AM
this is how I feel

Carts
03-15-2012, 10:02 AM

Did we pay for a friendly in our SSH this year...?

If yes (I honestly can't remember) scrap the friendly and just give us these in our account manager...

I'm dreaming I know - but I can dream...

If we didn't pay for a friendly, I'll quietly shut up! LOL

KGH
03-15-2012, 10:03 AM
That is my hope, that defensive box to be solid. De Guzman and Frings are as good a pair of DMs in CONCACAF, if we can put two solid CBs behind them, and our fullbacks, have been playing great.

Do you mean Emory? He's cup tied to Puerto Rico as they played in the prelims.

trane
03-15-2012, 10:04 AM
^ Shit.

Shakes McQueen
03-15-2012, 10:05 AM

Just give him one of these, and don't act suspicious on the pitch:

http://engageology.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/disguise-glasses.jpg

- Scott

Red Rat
03-15-2012, 10:07 AM
fuck there goes that idea, is 3 at the back

TOBOR !
03-15-2012, 10:08 AM
about tickets. There's not a lot of time to promote the game. If we're allowed to pick up as many as we can again this thing will sell out in an hour.

With that in mind MLSE may want to put a limit on the number of tickets we can get, but to what ? 2 ? 4 ? One for each seat we have ?

And what about price point ? Reduced capacity has to mean cost increase to us. MLSE can pimp this as a Super-Premium game (being a CCL semi-final leg).

I hope I'm not gonna have to shell out $50 each for cheapseats.

KGH
03-15-2012, 10:12 AM
about tickets. There's not a lot of time to promote the game. If we're allowed to pick up as many as we can again this thing will sell out in an hour.

With that in mind MLSE may want to put a limit on the number of tickets we can get, but to what ? 2 ? 4 ? One for each seat we have ?

And what about price point ? Reduced capacity has to mean cost increase to us. MLSE can pimp this as a Super-Premium game (being a CCL semi-final leg).

I hope I'm not gonna have to shell out $50 each for cheapseats.

I doubt they'd go super high priced on this one. It doesn't have the Becks star appeal and its not a "home opener" type game. Plus this game is all gravy. I expect to see normal pricing but the number of tickets limited in pre-sale to your season seats. I'd say we still get ~20,000k to this game as most SSH will show up.

Whoop
03-15-2012, 10:15 AM
From Paul B.

Paul Beirne ‏ @Paulbeirne (https://twitter.com/#%21/Paulbeirne)TFC will take on Santos Laguna in the CONCACAF Champions League Semi Final (first leg) on March 28. Ticket info soon!

loconet
03-15-2012, 10:18 AM
I hope Santos pulls a Cruz azul and fields their B squad when they play in Toronto. Someone should spread rumours that BMO is still using turf. We might be able to put through some goals.

Once we go to Mexico however, even winter, de klerk, and the towel guy should be thrown to the back line.

DichioTFC
03-15-2012, 10:32 AM
We shouldn't sell ourselves short. We drew semi-finalist Pumas in Toronto earlier in the competition, we beat Cruz Azul last year in Toronto and drew them at their home.

Obviously Santos will be ready to bring it, but if we get a good result at home, keep them off the score sheet, and get an away goal we'll be in good shape. I really do think we can advance.

Heart of Stone
03-15-2012, 10:44 AM
de klerk, ... should be thrown to the back line.

De Klerk would be a ball-breaker back there... I can see him trying to take on 40 000 Mexicans... he's an angry individual...

T-boy
03-15-2012, 11:03 AM
I doubt they'd go super high priced on this one. It doesn't have the Becks star appeal and its not a "home opener" type game. Plus this game is all gravy. I expect to see normal pricing but the number of tickets limited in pre-sale to your season seats. I'd say we still get ~20,000k to this game as most SSH will show up.

I'm not so sure? Especially as the game is sandwiched between TFC's first two home games of the season. I can't see ALL SSH going to the game, just for that reason along.

I'm gonna say around 12k to 15k will get to this one. I'd like more, but I'm doubting it.

trane
03-15-2012, 11:06 AM
^ NO WAY, any stadium will be packed. This is the biggest game ever. Only issue is time to sell them.

I can bring 5-10 people to the game easy. Becks was not as huge a draw in the last game as many think.

Whoop
03-15-2012, 11:08 AM
As per TFC

1) Match will be at BMO
2) Tickets go on sale on the 22nd

T-boy
03-15-2012, 11:14 AM
^ NO WAY, any stadium will be packed. This is the biggest game ever. Only issue is time to sell them.

I can bring 5-10 people to the game easy. Becks was not as huge a draw in the last game as many think.

Exactly, the one week time frame to sell tickets is ONLY going to get SSH to the game IMO. So, that's a maximum of 17k (as that is where they have capped the tickets).
And, as usual at TFC, not every SSH will be able to make it to a game, so that's why I'm thinking it will be more likely be 15k, more or less.
I know WE are all excited about this game, but non TFC fans DO need the extra draw to a game like this (ie Beckham), and this game won't have it.

cmonyoureds
03-15-2012, 11:20 AM
CONCACAF says March 27
Paul says March 28

Which is it?

Oldtimer
03-15-2012, 11:23 AM

Holy hyperbole. Winter just beat the MLS Champions, and you say that?

I'm just looking not to get embarrassed against Santos. Anything else is bonus.

ryan
03-15-2012, 11:24 AM
This match is going to define how much of a draw Beckham is in this city.

If it sells out, then it's not about Beckham or those shitey Galaxy old farts. If it's half full, then perhaps it is.

Either way, it's going to be a fuckin party.

trane
03-15-2012, 11:26 AM

I am looking for us to beat Santos. PERIOD.

Oldtimer
03-15-2012, 11:27 AM
The one thing that gives me hope is that we have a very technical team, which is better than kick and run against Mexican opposition. We also have good wing play. The problem with Seattle was that Santos shut them down in the centre. That will not be a problem for TFC.

Canary10
03-15-2012, 11:29 AM
The season ticket holders are pumped now. Most are going to buy their seats I'm sure. There are always a lot of supporters of the various Mexican teams at the other games. If there is anything left after season ticket holders get their shot, they'll sell the rest fast. It'll be a sell-out for sure.

Red Rat
03-15-2012, 11:32 AM

oh yes, admit it we had luck on our side on both games

Whoop
03-15-2012, 11:39 AM
CONCACAF says March 27
Paul says March 28

Which is it?

The club has announced March 28th.

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2012/03/reds-rocket-ccl-semifinals

Their home-and-home series with Santos will take place on March 28 and April 4. The winner will advance to the CCL finals.

JuliquE
03-15-2012, 11:47 AM

If it sells out, then it's not about Beckham or those shitey Galaxy old farts. If it's half full, then perhaps it is.

Respectfully disagree.

There was a lot going for the match at SkyDome:

* few months advance notice -- this one is huge, really
* momentum, after a positive string of results to end the season, generating buzz; realizing the TFC's greatest ever accomplishment, in qualifying for the quarters
* a successful pre-season could not have hurt things, maintaining any generated optimism from 2011
* first competitive game, proper, of 2012
* and sure, the star quality of our opponent is always going to factor in

Having said all that, I wouldn't read too much into the attendance numbers of this game compared to the last one, at the Dome.

Whoop
03-15-2012, 11:49 AM
Also keep in mind from the 22nd (say noonish) to the 28th that's 7 days to sell tickets versus what 3-4 months?

Oldtimer
03-15-2012, 11:49 AM
oh yes, admit it we had luck on our side on both games

I see, if we win, it's "luck," but if we lose, it's "fire Winter?"

I'm not going to play that game.

Yohan
03-15-2012, 12:13 PM
^ That is the issue. We cannot play an open game Santos will kill us.
Yep. Their passing is like 5 times better than any MLS team at home. It was scary how they ripped apart Seattle with their fluid passing game.

The key to this game for Toronto is Danny K. Why? It's air battle time. Mexican teams generally hate and don't deal well with balls in the air. Crash the box and launch balls in the air and hope Danny K or Johnson or whoever can get a head onto it. Set pieces will also be key. (this is for away at Santos Laguna)

I think 4-3-3 can work at BMO Field, esp with JDG gaining more match fitness. Stifle Santos midfield and isolate their strikers

Red Rat
03-15-2012, 12:13 PM
^^alright me neither
get a grip and read my earlier post, I am not calling for his head just calling for a change in his tactics.

SuperTCP
03-15-2012, 12:18 PM
TFC should let the STH sell the tickets for them , we will fill BMO as we did Roger's center.

I have already made a list of friends that want to join me. But if price is too high, some of them already stated they would not attend.

BS1327
03-15-2012, 12:21 PM

I think he's cup-tied from what I read. He played with the Islanders last year.

We need a win at home to have a shot, and a draw in Mexico. It's doable but very tough! I'm very excited for this game though! We need to make sure we have home Feild advantage, and not let the Mexicans tak over BMO!!

TorontoPat
03-15-2012, 12:23 PM
ofcourse this game will sellout. 47,000 went to the Galaxy game, this game is the NEXT round. I bet 99% of those that went to rogers would want to see the next round.

MarkEightThree
03-15-2012, 12:25 PM

:scarf:

rocker
03-15-2012, 12:54 PM
The one thing that gives me hope is that we have a very technical team, which is better than kick and run against Mexican opposition. We also have good wing play. The problem with Seattle was that Santos shut them down in the centre. That will not be a problem for TFC.

This is what I'm thinking. I actually think TFC will do better against Santos than expected because of the technical equation. When it's a technical Mexican team against a kick and run MLS team (see: Colorado last year), the Mexican side will always win. But MLS teams that bring a more technical factor to the game seem to do better (although Seattle blew it.. but that's probably a product of the fact they are in preseason... by the time TFC plays Santos, TFC will be long past the pre-season rust stage).

I've also noticed when TFC plays these Latin teams in CONCACAF that we no longer have to deal with the physical, talentless bruisers who populate a certain percentage of MLS rosters. It allows the game to be played as it should be played.

The key thing is to get a good result at home, perhaps with no away goals for Santos. Montreal did flame out against Santos, but they also got a 2-0 home win in the first leg. When they scored in Mexico, it made the job even tougher for Santos. Of course Montreal flamed out ridiculously after that but we're stronger than that USL side.

Seen
03-15-2012, 01:25 PM
This would be more appropriate for a second leg thread, but as there isn't one...

Not to start fear mongering, I was debating about heading down for the second leg. Then I was forwarded the following from a friend:

From a press release from the U.S. State Department:

“Coahuila: You should defer non-essential travel to the state of Coahuila. The State of Coahuila continues to experience high rates of violent crimes and narcotics-related murders. TCOs continue to compete for territory and coveted border crossings to the United States. In August 2011, suspected members of TCOs and police exchange fire near a crowded soccer stadium in Torreón causing panic. The city of Torreón had a murder rate of more than 40 per 100,000 population between January and August of 2011. USG personnel may not frequent casinos, sport books, or other gambling establishments and adult entertainment establishments.”

Santos happens to play in Torreón, although I don't know if it was their stadium. What does it mean? Who knows, other than I will pass on going...

T-boy
03-15-2012, 01:39 PM
ofcourse this game will sellout. 47,000 went to the Galaxy game, this game is the NEXT round. I bet 99% of those that went to rogers would want to see the next round.

I'd say probably 80 percent would WANT to see the next round
of those, 50 percent are ABLE and free, and have no other commitments that night already.
And then 75 percent of those left are SSH holders!
So, that's why the game will have 15k ish people at it!

T-boy
03-15-2012, 01:41 PM
TFC should let the STH sell the tickets for them , we will fill BMO as we did Roger's center.

I have already made a list of friends that want to join me. But if price is too high, some of them already stated they would not attend.

the problem is gonna be that "most" SSH are going to get their tickets, and the tickets left will only be the expensive ones. I don't see TFC managing to sell expensive tickets for a game within less than 7 days?

I can see the game being around the same attendance as the group stages of the champions league last season, realistically.

Heart of Stone
03-15-2012, 01:46 PM
I hope it is bitterly cold with driving rain and 50 km wind gusts coming off the Lake.

Heart of Stone
03-15-2012, 01:52 PM
Their Goalkeeper is captain...

TorontoPat
03-15-2012, 01:56 PM
I hope it is bitterly cold with driving rain and 50 km wind gusts coming off the Lake.
Can't make it that day Eh?:o

Heart of Stone
03-15-2012, 01:59 PM
This is not about us sipping Carlsbergs on a nice mild evening at BMO, this is about making it a living hell for the Mexican team... freezing rain would be wonderful.

Yohan
03-15-2012, 02:01 PM
and he's a bit of a twat and a wanker

Lennon
03-15-2012, 02:02 PM
Obviously Santos will be ready to bring it, but if we get a good result at home, keep them off the score sheet, and get an away goal we'll be in good shape. I really do think we can advance.

This is key. We need a cleansheet at home and a goal on the road to have a chance, imo.

Dv23
03-15-2012, 02:05 PM
Fuck, I have class at 6-9pm on Wednesdays, and I already bailed last week to come to the game. I can't do it two weeks in a row, on the 28th and 4th. They are the final two classes.. What should I do?

Seen
03-15-2012, 02:08 PM

...and has 99 caps for Mexico. Also played in 3 World Cups.

and he's a bit of a twat and a wanker

This may be true, but he's one of the best keepers TFC has ever faced.

Doesn't mean Danny K won't score though :D

TFC1154ever
03-15-2012, 02:08 PM
I really think we need to win by 2 at home to have a shot. The record at home is one of the best in North America, the Altitude and having 40,000 at the stadium. We really need a good result at home. Saying that, I do think it is possible!

mdc 77
03-15-2012, 02:12 PM
The shootout was at the current Santos Laguna stadium in Torreon.

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/sports/2011/08/23/mexican-soccer-federation-calls-for-end-to-violence/

Chevy
03-15-2012, 02:15 PM

You can't win can you?

Hey, I have been 'away' for a week. What's new? Did I miss anything?

Yohan
03-15-2012, 02:15 PM
This may be true, but he's one of the best keepers TFC has ever faced.

Doesn't mean Danny K won't score though :D
Sanchez's antics is one of the things I hate most about latino football. he makes Landycakes look like model citizens, esp with his whining (yes, Sanchez whines more than Landycakes)

Roogsy
03-15-2012, 02:16 PM
I know it's for the thread on the Mexico leg of the match-up, but I really do hope that no TFC fan goes down there. I can see something bad happening.

Seen
03-15-2012, 02:19 PM
Sanchez's antics is one of the things I hate most about latino football. he makes Landycakes look like model citizens, esp with his whining (yes, Sanchez whines more than Landycakes)

I agree with you about his antics. But he is a talented keeper, with or without his BS.

Heart of Stone
03-15-2012, 02:19 PM
I know it's for the thread on the Mexico leg of the match-up, but I really do hope that no TFC fan goes down there. I can see something bad happening.

There's no way in hell I would go to this game. Interested in living.

Oldtimer
03-15-2012, 02:24 PM
Fuck, I have class at 6-9pm on Wednesdays, and I already bailed last week to come to the game. I can't do it two weeks in a row, on the 28th and 4th. They are the final two classes.. What should I do?

Look after your future. you won't be able to buy seasons in the future if you're unemployed!

I suggest:

http://xtekelectronics.com/images/VS_PVR7000.jpg

... and make sure nobody tells you the final score. :flare:

mdc 77
03-15-2012, 02:25 PM
Mexico, especially the north is obviously a scary place right now. I mean you could fly down and go to this game and probably not have any issues, Mexican supporters do not have a history of violence and in terms of non-drug related crime Torreon is far from the most dangerous place around. However, and it s huge however...Torreon has become a main battle ground in the drug war and I am someone who rarely says this but I would think long and hard before deciding to go down for this match.

Couchy81
03-15-2012, 02:25 PM
I can't wait, good lord the anticipation and having to wait a week just to get tickets is killing me already.

maninb
03-15-2012, 02:26 PM
Hopefully we can play them at BMO is SHITTY weather, and beat them by at least 2 goals...seeing their record at home and playing at altitude we've got ZERO chance of beating them there..

TOBOR !
03-15-2012, 02:27 PM
Yep. Their passing is like 5 times better than any MLS team at home. It was scary how they ripped apart Seattle with their fluid passing game.

The key to this game for Toronto is Danny K. Why? It's air battle time. Mexican teams generally hate and don't deal well with balls in the air. Crash the box and launch balls in the air and hope Danny K or Johnson or whoever can get a head onto it. Set pieces will also be key. (this is for away at Santos Laguna)

I think 4-3-3 can work at BMO Field, esp with JDG gaining more match fitness. Stifle Santos midfield and isolate their strikers

Danny was all but invisible against LA, except for that thumping header he sent wide in the second half (but was offside anyway). Easily the hardest header I've seen from a TFC player ever.

The problem is with the delivery. Decent crosses into the box from our wide players are the exception rather than the rule.

Roogsy
03-15-2012, 02:28 PM
Speaking of battling in the air...does anyone remember the last time TFC had two such beautiful headers for a goal in consecutive games than Silva and Johnson? It's not something we have been known for.

Couchy81
03-15-2012, 02:30 PM
Speaking of battling in the air...does anyone remember the last time TFC had two such beautiful headers for a goal in consecutive games than Silva and Johnson? It's not something we have been known for.

They must have been practicing those in training, they were both executed clinically and were the same setup and targeting.

Red Rat
03-15-2012, 02:32 PM
The Silva number 1 and Johnson 2
I will never forget

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
03-15-2012, 02:32 PM
27th or 28th?

tfcleeds
03-15-2012, 02:35 PM

Torreon is not a place I would want to visit. In fact, I'd rank it just ahead of Juarez for desirable travel destinations.

ManUtd4ever
03-15-2012, 02:36 PM
TFC's best hope is to win at BMO Field and then try to gut out a low scoring draw in Torreon. Easier said than done, but hopefully Winter will prepare the troops accordingly based on the carnage that was on display against Seattle.

Joe Kool
03-15-2012, 02:37 PM
I don't have alot of faith in this round I am sorry to say. The key will be to TFC having a lead going into Mexico. I know it didn't work for Sounders but if you let them get a couple away goals here then go to Mexico down by a goal (or two) or in a tie I don't think we have a chance at all. If we go there up a goal then you never know. We may be able to hold onto a tie if the higher powers are willing. In the end I am proud of the team and will just go and enjoy this match. If we make it past this round I will be very happy and if not, so be it. Looking forward to the MLS season no matter what happens.

As far as tickets go they should be dropping prices drastically from normal BMO prices to make sure it is full. Trying to sell the Red and Dark Grey sections in so short of a window will not happen unless ticket prices are reduced.

Yohan
03-15-2012, 02:37 PM
Santos counters are also deadly. If TFC plays unfocused like vs LA and get caught unorganized on defence, Santos will murder us.

Phil
03-15-2012, 02:38 PM
27th or 28th?

28th....BMO from what I am hearing.

We begin our home leg of the Semifinal on Wednesday, March 28th at BMO Field, 8:00 p.m. kickoff. Our house is going to be jumping as we go head to head with Santos Laguna.

As a Season Seat Holder, your on-sale date is tomorrow, March 16th.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
03-15-2012, 02:38 PM
TFC's best hope is to win at BMO Field and then try to gut out a low scoring draw in Torreon. Easier said than done, but hopefully Winter will prepare the troops accordingly based on the carnage that was on display against Seattle.

could be 6C - 7C game time....hopefully little drizzle....a packed BMO just could be the ingrediant..to win this 3-0

Oldtimer
03-15-2012, 02:41 PM
In a classy move, RSL supporters are wishing us "good luck" as the MLS representatives.

http://www.rslsoapbox.com/2012/3/15/2874313/concacaf-champions-league-update-good-luck-toronto-fc

Pendrith
03-15-2012, 02:43 PM
Tickets on sale tomorrow. That was fast. Just got e-mail.

Canary10
03-15-2012, 02:43 PM
Just got an email from TFC about tickets. For SSH they go on sale tomorrow. Said a follow up email will come. Doesn't say how many we can buy.

T-boy
03-15-2012, 02:44 PM
I guess this is where the "click here for all games" blanket payment plan comes into effect on the season ticket renewals? I'm assuming that those of us who clicked on that won't have to do anything to guarantee/buy our ticket to this game?

Torontotonto
03-15-2012, 02:46 PM

I would think it would be a sell out.
Is the game at BMO or Skydome ?

TorontoPat
03-15-2012, 02:47 PM
I don't have alot of faith in this round I am sorry to say. The key will be to TFC having a lead going into Mexico. I know it didn't work for Sounders but if you let them get a couple away goals here then go to Mexico down by a goal (or two) or in a tie I don't think we have a chance at all. If we go there up a goal then you never know. We may be able to hold onto a tie if the higher powers are willing. In the end I am proud of the team and will just go and enjoy this match. If we make it past this round I will be very happy and if not, so be it. Looking forward to the MLS season no matter what happens.

As far as tickets go they should be dropping prices drastically from normal BMO prices to make sure it is full. Trying to sell the Red and Dark Grey sections in so short of a window will not happen unless ticket prices are reduced.
Hope we win here obviously but if we lost here, I bet the Mexicans would feel they're a lock and not really take us seriously. When that happens, well anything can happen.

Yohan
03-15-2012, 02:53 PM
Hope we win here obviously but if we lost here, I bet the Mexicans would feel they're a lock and not really take us seriously. When that happens, well anything can happen.
I don't think Santos will underestimate us, esp with their manager who got his tactics absolutely right vs Seattle. Despite whipping Seattle at home, they got a run for their money in Seattle, and TFC defeating LA will earn TFC some respect. They won't take us lightly

Phil
03-15-2012, 02:54 PM

BMO, March 28th 8:00 pm

Nuvinho
03-15-2012, 02:55 PM
I hope its the same prices as our season tickets per game. I think supporters were $19/ticket and dark greys $50/ticket

Chevy
03-15-2012, 02:57 PM

Champions League > Book Learnin'

Razor
03-15-2012, 02:57 PM

It's at BMO Field.

NBS
03-15-2012, 03:00 PM
TFC must win the first leg by multiple goals and, most importantly, NOT CONCEDE. Easier said than done, but I think that's the only realistic hope.

trane
03-15-2012, 03:10 PM
Time is the biggest issue. The time is just short as hell.

Chevy
03-15-2012, 03:22 PM
Historical Weather for March 28th. C'mon -6!

March 28 , 2011Toronto City

Max Temp: 4.2 °C
Min Temp: -6.4 °C
Mean Temp: -1.1 °C
Precip Accumulation: 0 mm

March 28 , 2010Toronto City

Max Temp: 6.6 °C
Min Temp: 3.7 °C
Mean Temp: 5.2 °C
Precip Accumulation: 4.6 mm

trane
03-15-2012, 03:25 PM
^ Good luck with that. I would be less surprised if we had a historical high.

Joe Kool
03-15-2012, 03:25 PM
It is interesting that our next CCL opponent just beat out our next MLS opponent. If we beat Sounders on the weekend people will say we have more of a chance in the CCL...maybe. If we lose to the Sounders all we will hear, even more, is that we will get killed based on that result. So it seems everything hangs on this weekend (from a reporter point of view at least :) ). People just won't be able to help themselves with that comparison. Of course anyone who knows soccer knows that it is not the case and anything can happen in any game. Can't wait to read the press on it though...for strictly entertainment purposes only.

jasonbanks
03-15-2012, 03:50 PM
Just spoke with Toronto FC sales, tomorrow is for first rights to our own seats (SSH) at BMO, then I assume leftovers will be thrown to the wolves.

TorontoPat
03-15-2012, 03:51 PM
Just got an email ticket presale happening March 21st. Thing is I'm not a ssh. I have a couple of family members that have seasons though. So does this mean SSH's won't have 1st dibs but rather it's going to be a freeforall. Or have you guys received earlier presale dates?

Edit:
Ahh I now see the post above mine.

rocker
03-15-2012, 04:53 PM
yeah, I too got that email this aft...

---------------------------

We are on our way to the Champions League Semifinals XXXXXX, http://image.mlsefanmail.com/lib/fed316717160047c/m/2/Victory+in+LA.jpg (http://click.mlsefanmail.com/?qs=cf9af98438494ffb22d09e7d34f920b1e555fa9d6d42fc 73d7c8a5c07b124f29)
No Canadian team has ever reached the CONCACAF Semifinals and with yesterday's triumphant win over the LA Galaxy, defeating them 4-3 on aggregate, we are now only two matches away from the Champions League Finals.
We would not have been able to do this without your support and passion, THANK YOU!
We begin our home leg of the Semifinal on Wednesday, March 28th at BMO Field, 8:00 p.m. kickoff. Our house is going to be jumping as we go head to head with Santos Laguna.
As a Season Seat Holder, your on-sale date is tomorrow, March 16th.
Note: A follow up communication will be sent to you tomorrow morning with further details.
Don't miss your chance to join our run to the Champions League Final. Be a part of history!
Toronto FC
//ALL FOR ONE

Gallade
03-15-2012, 04:54 PM
we probably need to win the first leg 3-0 to advance. 2-0 might do it because that would allow us a 3-1 loss on the way back and that seems possible, but i'm not going to feel confident about our chances unless we get it to 3-0.

realistically, this is where it ends. but it's still great to be here and, hey, you never know...

rockxlee
03-15-2012, 04:59 PM
Will they be selling Match day scarves at BMO. Wouldn't mind picking up a TFC v Santos scarf.

Couchy81
03-15-2012, 05:21 PM
Will they be selling Match day scarves at BMO. Wouldn't mind picking up a TFC v Santos scarf.

That would be sweet

TFC/Everton
03-15-2012, 08:56 PM
I know I am getting ahead of myself, but it just might Toronto's year, it just might be Toronto's year.

kodiakTFC
03-15-2012, 09:00 PM
I hope we aren't limited to just our season seats. My friends want tickets, I need 10 not 3.

devioustrevor
03-15-2012, 09:28 PM
How many of our youngster will we be missing due to the Olympic Qualifying tournament? Will Morgan be released with the CCL game falling during this period?

Waggy
03-15-2012, 09:33 PM
How many of our youngster will we be missing due to the Olympic Qualifying tournament? Will Morgan be released with the CCL game falling during this period?

:O..... no...... please no....... please god no...... oh no. oh no oh no oh no. well, my days ruined. someone please tell me this isn't true

ensco
03-15-2012, 09:57 PM
I really hope TFC put some thought into the travel/hotel arrangements for the team for the second leg. Mexican supporters groups take their "jobs" seriously. For important games, there is a high likelihood of the visiting team's chartered bus breaking down with a flat tire, and interruptions in the team's hotel during the night (noise outside the hotel, fire alarms being pulled, etc.) TFC needs to find the right person at Cruz Azul or America or whomever to navigate this stuff for them. If I were Winter, I would get involved personally to make sure these elements are sorted out.

TFCREDNWHITE
03-15-2012, 10:00 PM
I really really hope the TFC front office staff limit the tickets to 4 per person!

ManUtd4ever
03-15-2012, 10:18 PM
I really hope TFC put some thought into the travel/hotel arrangements for the team for the second leg. Mexican supporters groups take their "jobs" seriously. For important games, there is a high likelihood of the visiting team's chartered bus breaking down with a flat tire, and interruptions in the team's hotel during the night (noise outside the hotel, fire alarms being pulled, etc.) TFC needs to find the right person at Cruz Azul or America or whomever to navigate this stuff for them. If I were Winter, I would get involved personally to make sure these elements are sorted out.

LOL, the sad thing is that you're probably right. I doubt Winter has ever experienced such shenanigans in Europe, so hopefully our CONCACAF battle hardened veterans like JDG and Ryan Johnson can give management the head's up.

FIAF
03-15-2012, 10:49 PM

Never heard of that.

Auzzy
03-15-2012, 11:12 PM
Awesome, pre-game thread goes to five pages in less that 12 hours!!

A couple of thoughts about TFC - Santos Laguna:
- Nobody thought it would possible for TFC to get past Cruz Azul a few years ago. They did: beat them 2-1 at BMO, and tied them in Mexico. That was with a worse team, "led" by Preki, etc. Yes, Santos Laguna looks better than Cruz Azul, but TFC also look better than that Preki TFC team. Although it will be incredibly difficult to get past Santos, anything is possible.

- I think one chance we have, is that a few players haven't really stepped up yet this season, that we know can do better. I'm thinking especially of JDG & Koevermans. If the others play the best they've shown us this season; and if JDG, Koef, and a few others improve their game, that would be a real boost. (I know Danny K. has done some good things even w/o scoring, but he hasn't reached the potential yet that he showed us last season.) With a few more games & practices before March 28th, everyone should be at their peak.

- Hopefully Winter & Co have really done their homework on Santos Laguna, and play smart. E.g., Morgan and especially Ecks have to be a bit more careful at defensive duties. They can't give the opponents too much time & space down the flanks, and due to their speed, they're more likely to be able catch a fast attacker than our slow CBs.

- TFC should really try to maintain more possession, rather than only absorbing pressure.

T-boy
03-16-2012, 12:30 AM
I don't understand why everybody is saying that Koev's isn't playing well, or isn't playing at his best? I've seen him look good out there. He hasn't had any real good crosses into him yet (which is where we know he works best) but that doesn't mean he's playing badly. Koev's has the most difficult position in the TFC line up in the 4-3-3 trying to be the one out-and-out striker up front. It's a lonely job up there sometimes, but he is working hard, and tracking back when needed. It will only take one decent cross into him, and he'll have a goal before you can sneeze!

prizby
03-16-2012, 01:00 AM
is it 2 yellows and you are suspended?

Juan Pablo Rodriquez (their influential holding mid) got a yellow in each game against Seattle...hopefully that means he sits out in Toronto right?

Oldtimer
03-16-2012, 07:10 AM
is it 2 yellows and you are suspended?

Juan Pablo Rodriquez (their influential holding mid) got a yellow in each game against Seattle...hopefully that means he sits out in Toronto right?

That's correct. We get yet another break.

TFC will have to have a strong lead going into Mexico. I don't even think 2-0 is enough. It will need to be at least a 3 goal lead.

prizby
03-16-2012, 07:40 AM
That's correct. We get yet another break.

TFC will have to have a strong lead going into Mexico. I don't even think 2-0 is enough. It will need to be at least a 3 goal lead.

the first thing we need to do...well i am not sure.

We need to do 2 things.

1. Keep a cleansheet.
2. Score at least 3 goals.

__wowza
03-16-2012, 07:57 AM

no, theyre only selling toTORONTO/DAVID BECKHAM scarfs.

Stouffville_RPB
03-16-2012, 08:05 AM
I see no reason why we cannot also get a result in Toronto, too, and then park the bus in the second game.

I'd like to agree with this statement but we've never been able to "park the bus" against anyone. Look at the LA match, we went up 1-0 and then tried to hold on but couldn't. When TFC tries to park the bus they just kick the ball past half when they get it. You have to be able to hold possession of the ball when you are down in order to truly kill the clock. You can't sit on a lead the way we try to.

ensco
03-16-2012, 08:17 AM
I think 1-0 could do it. We can park the bus in Mexico.

Seattle thought they can play with these guys. We know better!

Belfast_Boy
03-16-2012, 08:31 AM
call me crazy but I think if we score more goal than they do we will win.....

if we do go up a goal or two we should keep going. step on their throats! I hate when teams sit back. did barca do that last week? unless it's a small team v giants I hate that crap. wé deserve to be there just as much as them.

anyone get the email about seats yet?

Laiping
03-16-2012, 08:37 AM
No not yet. I called Toronto FC front office. They said email will be about 11:00am to 12:00 noon today. :))

Chris Wren
03-16-2012, 08:52 AM
I don't understand why everybody is saying that Koev's isn't playing well, or isn't playing at his best? I've seen him look good out there. He hasn't had any real good crosses into him yet (which is where we know he works best) but that doesn't mean he's playing badly. Koev's has the most difficult position in the TFC line up in the 4-3-3 trying to be the one out-and-out striker up front. It's a lonely job up there sometimes, but he is working hard, and tracking back when needed. It will only take one decent cross into him, and he'll have a goal before you can sneeze!

Agreed.

Roogsy
03-16-2012, 09:06 AM

This crazy idea might work!

Belfast_Boy
03-16-2012, 09:14 AM
No not yet. I called Toronto FC front office. They said email will be about 11:00am to 12:00 noon today. :))

got the same answer.

we have until Tuesday to buy our own seats. so there's no panic today. additional seats have to be picked up next week.

Canary10
03-16-2012, 09:21 AM
So it seems definite that we only get access to our own seats then. Makes sense but too bad. I'll have a few people asking for tickets that won't be able to get them. Hopefully this is the first game that Mexican supporters won't be able to get into in numbers! All the other CCL games we've had against Mexican teams have had strong shows of support for them.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
03-16-2012, 09:26 AM
Anyone is beatable on this side of the pond...ANYONE!

Seattle took these guys at home....so can we!

Beating Mexican sides on mexican soil is always a tough task for sure....getting a result is possible....its SANTOS ffs not Barcalona!

lets have it!

trane
03-16-2012, 09:37 AM
^ I am all too aware that they are not Barca, my other team is playing them.

Pinkie
03-16-2012, 10:59 AM

whooaaa. mind blown.

:D

i haven't gotten the tickets email. but suuuper pumped bout the game. win or lose i'm just ecstatic we got this far.

prizby
03-16-2012, 11:08 AM
I'd like to agree with this statement but we've never been able to "park the bus" against anyone. Look at the LA match, we went up 1-0 and then tried to hold on but couldn't. When TFC tries to park the bus they just kick the ball past half when they get it. You have to be able to hold possession of the ball when you are down in order to truly kill the clock. You can't sit on a lead the way we try to.

hmm but we seemed to be able to do that just fine against cruz azul with reserves

Kaz
03-16-2012, 11:08 AM
My biggest fear is a few key yellows in the game at BMO. Ecks, Soolsma Koevs. any of them being suspended going to Mexico could be bad.

I'm not worried about beating them at BMO I think that is our game to lose. What I'm concerned about is 3600Ft above sea level, in early season form against a late season form team used to the altitude. That is a bigger killer of teams then anything.

it makes 60 minutes feel like 90.. and I think that is what happened to Seattle. They ran out of gas and started to make mistakes.

03-16-2012, 11:15 AM
I'm thrilled they're at this point. I won't be disappointed with any outcome. I would OBVIOUSLY love to advance. I would selfishly love to see a win at BMO. But losing 8-nil would not take away from this great experience we've had this (CCL) season.

The rainout against Vancouver, and then the come-from-behind win in the NCC final.
The rainout against Dallas, only to be dashed the next day.
Taking a lead on Pumas at home.
Needing a win in Dallas, and earning it.
Rogers Centre majesty.
Thriller in LA.

Having said all that... anyone can beat anyone on any given day. But remember, there's a pretty big difference between how Cruz Azul and Pumas may have approached a GROUP STAGE game at BMO, and how Santos are sure to approach a SEMIFINAL game. They will not be sending a team of subs to Toronto. There's no strategy for group stage points here. It's all out win. And we'll see their best, be assured of that.

I'm thrilled to have the chance to watch in person on the 28th!

COME. ON. YOU. REDS!

Stouffville_RPB
03-16-2012, 11:23 AM
Has anyone got their "follow up communication" regarding tickets this morning?

Fort York Redcoat
03-16-2012, 11:39 AM
Has anyone got their "follow up communication" regarding tickets this morning?

If so, anybody, post in here:

http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=31142

It shouldn't be long now!!

Stouffville_RPB
03-16-2012, 11:40 AM
If so, anybody, post in here:

http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=31142

It shouldn't be long now!!

Ahhh thanks ;)

Roogsy
03-16-2012, 11:57 AM
Here is a question that I don't think has been asked before.

Does TFC making it this far help the Canadian slot in the CCL overall?

Like UEFA, better play means better positioning in the bracket. I am hoping making it this far means we get consideration of some sort for the next CCL draw?

Yes please?

ManUtd4ever
03-16-2012, 12:08 PM

Like UEFA, better play means better positioning in the bracket. I am hoping making it this far means we get consideration of some sort for the next CCL draw?

Yes please?

At best, it might allow for the NCC winner to be granted automatic entry in the CCL group stage as opposed to the current format in which a preliminary qualifier is mandatory.

Yohan
03-16-2012, 12:10 PM

Yes please?
highly doubt it

kinda silly for a federation without its own first division league and only 4 professional teams to get 2 spots

Roogsy
03-16-2012, 12:47 PM
I meant maybe getting dropped later in the tournament as opposed to qualifying through Central America.

Yohan
03-16-2012, 12:56 PM
I meant maybe getting dropped later in the tournament as opposed to qualifying through Central America.
in new format, there is no more qualifying rounds... right?

8 groups of 3 teams, only group leaders advance

Roogsy
03-16-2012, 12:59 PM
Ugh...they're always changing it. Kind of hard to keep up.

Got a link on the structure of the tourney? The Conconcaf website is so poor, it looks like a high school project.

Yohan
03-16-2012, 01:02 PM
Ugh...they're always changing it. Kind of hard to keep up.

Got a link on the structure of the tourney? The Conconcaf website is so poor, it looks like a high school project.
wikipedia is your friend... rookie ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012%E2%80%9313_CONCACAF_Champions_League#Format

Roogsy
03-16-2012, 01:08 PM
Thanks, that's great.

I can't believe how fast the 2012-2013 edition begins right after the 2011-2012 champion is declared. No wonder the NCC is such an abbreviated tourney.

__wowza
03-16-2012, 01:20 PM
Thanks, that's great.

I can't believe how fast the 2012-2013 edition begins right after the 2011-2012 champion is declared. No wonder the NCC is such an abbreviated tourney.

it's a shame the seasons are so different, id love that they ran CONCACAF qualifying in the offseason.

Yohan
03-16-2012, 01:23 PM
it's a shame the seasons are so different, id love that they ran CONCACAF qualifying in the offseason.
brrrrrr.... winter is cold

__wowza
03-16-2012, 01:58 PM
brrrrrr.... winter is cold

id rather catch a game or two or three at BMO during the winter versus our boys playing for the VC/group leg during middle of the season and the group stage at the very end!! no way does this help any of the MLS teams invovled in the tournament!!

youre telling me that with all of the south and southern american teams involved there isnt a possiblity that CONCACAF can swing it to play away games in the south/peru/mexico during the dead of winter?

Yohan
03-16-2012, 02:10 PM
id rather catch a game or two or three at BMO during the winter versus our boys playing for the VC/group leg during middle of the season and the group stage at the very end!! no way does this help any of the MLS teams invovled in the tournament!!

youre telling me that with all of the south and southern american teams involved there isnt a possiblity that CONCACAF can swing it to play away games in the south/peru/mexico during the dead of winter?
i don't think i want to repeat the impracticality of trying to play in middle of winter. it's been repeated ad nauseum

McBrace
03-16-2012, 02:19 PM
:drinking:

pekduck
03-16-2012, 02:20 PM
:drinking:
http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=729&d=1331925472

say.. banner time?:D

TorontoPat
03-16-2012, 02:29 PM
It will be sweet to see the Mexican supporters shutout.

JamboAl
03-16-2012, 02:31 PM
Just an observation, I was at the Impact-Santos Laguna match 3 years ago (obviously, as a neutral) and was surprised to see many of their fans wearing Club America, Chivas and UNAM shirts. And quite a few of them as well. I remember the Pumas and Cruz Azul game seeing much the same thing. Since this is getting to the later stages, are there going to be contingencies for "away support"?

This also might be a good practice run for BMO Field security when the Hondurans come.

__wowza
03-16-2012, 03:13 PM
i don't think i want to repeat the impracticality of trying to play in middle of winter. it's been repeated ad nauseum

agreed, but i wouldnt be surprised to see a shift in the timing of the tournament or the league shifting games around with the last two games of the group stages (sept 25 - 27 / oct 23 - 25) running parallel with the last 3 weeks of our regular season.

if it's near the end of the season, the league would have limited time to swap games around, especially seeing as how.. holy fuck.. i just checked.. the MLS finals are on DECEMBER 1st!?

jazzy
03-16-2012, 07:30 PM
agreed, but i wouldnt be surprised to see a shift in the timing of the tournament or the league shifting games around with the last two games of the group stages (sept 25 - 27 / oct 23 - 25) running parallel with the last 3 weeks of our regular season.

if it's near the end of the season, the league would have limited time to swap games around, especially seeing as how.. holy fuck.. i just checked.. the MLS finals are on DECEMBER 1st!?

hoy vay....a potential full year of TFC....:flare:,...this city may wake up yet:D,..

and potential for being broke....:facepalm:,...potential for amazing year...SERIOUS!

Alonso
03-16-2012, 08:11 PM

if we do go up a goal or two we should keep going. step on their throats! I hate when teams sit back. did barca do that last week? unless it's a small team v giants I hate that crap. wé deserve to be there just as much as them.

anyone get the email about seats yet?

Youz crazy!!

cmonyoureds
03-16-2012, 08:38 PM
sorry if it's already posted elsewhere but anyone got the inside scoop on pricing for this one?

Bobinhood
03-16-2012, 08:41 PM
Que sera sera, were going to wembley:

Hey LA LA
theres something you need to know
Were going to Tokyo
Hey La La

Hey Santos Santos
Your ok in Mexico
But we're off to Tokyo
Hey Santo Santos

Everybody now.....:D

Jeffro
03-16-2012, 08:56 PM
Que sera sera, were going to wembley:

Hey LA LA
theres something you need to know
Were going to Tokyo
Hey La La

Hey Santos Santos
Your ok in Mexico
But we're off to Tokyo
Hey Santo Santos

Everybody now.....:D

Love it, stuck in my head already! Post this up in the chants section!

Blowing Bubbles
03-16-2012, 09:59 PM
in new format, there is no more qualifying rounds... right?

8 groups of 3 teams, only group leaders advance

so there are 4 Mexican teams and 4 US teams. The question is - who has to sit on the fucking grenade and get a Mexican team in the group stage? Does the Canadian champ get "seeded" better than say the winner of the Open Cup?

The way I see it - the 4 Mexican teams should each get their own group, then the MLS Cup champ, SS winner. So that's 6 of 8 groups.

Who headlines the last 2 groups - Canada, US open or MLS Cup runner up?

It's not the end of the world if the Canadian champ draws say the weakest US team, but still, if they seed 8 clubs then 50% chance of drawing a Mexican team which is AIDS

Alonso
03-16-2012, 10:23 PM

Play the VC during the off season... BCE Place, Olympique Stadium, and Skydome.

Plastic turf for all! (and alleviate congestion)

I know...

Edmonton.

Who cares?

Alonso
03-16-2012, 10:24 PM
so there are 4 Mexican teams and 4 US teams. The question is - who has to sit on the fucking grenade and get a Mexican team in the group stage? Does the Canadian champ get "seeded" better than say the winner of the Open Cup?

The way I see it - the 4 Mexican teams should each get their own group, then the MLS Cup champ, SS winner. So that's 6 of 8 groups.

It's not the end of the world if the Canadian champ draws say the weakest US team, but still, if they seed 8 clubs then 50% chance of drawing a Mexican team which is AIDS

These are some good points...

I think its valid given the Montreal impact going to the quarters as an Nasl side and TFC to the semis that a Canadian team get top seeding in one of these groups without a Mexican team.

mowe
03-16-2012, 10:51 PM

Pot 1: USA 1 & 2, Mexico 1 & 2, Honduras 1, Costa Rica 1, Panama 1, Guatemala 1

Pot 2: USA 3 & 4, Mexico 3 & 4, Canada 1, El Salvador 1, Costa Rica 2, Honduras 2

Pot 3: Caribbean 1, 2, 3, El Salvador 2, Panama 2, Guatemala 2, Belize 1, Nicaragua 1

With the caveat that US and Mexican teams can't be in the same group. Meaning Canada's team can only be drawn in one of the four groups with a US or Mexican 1 seed, so still a 50% chance of drawing a Mexican team in the group stage.

The new format screws Canada because whichever group they're in is automatically the group of death. But other than that I still think it's a huge improvement by cutting the number of pre-knockout stage games from 8 to 4.

You could argue that Canada deserves a 1 seed over say Guatemala but having only a 4 team, 4 game competition to determine the rep probably works against us. Maybe TFC's performance this year and a request by the CSA will make CONCACAF change their mind.

Yohan
03-18-2012, 01:36 AM
Santos got their best striker darwin quintero back. Oh boy

RedRum
03-18-2012, 06:11 AM
Just get a win or draw in the first leg here. Set off a few strings of firecrackers there about 2 minutes into the game. Everyone will assume it is gunfire as usual. Game is called and forfeited. Easy peasy route into the finals.

ensco
03-18-2012, 10:15 AM
Not really on topic.... but for those so inclined, this came out a couple of weeks ago, it is a really interesting book about Mexican soccer (sort of, it's really about Mexico and the drug wars, centred around Juarez's football team...)

http://www.amazon.com/This-Love-Not-For-Cowards/dp/1608197166/ref=sr_1_74?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1332083399&sr=1-74

J .
03-20-2012, 12:38 AM
Expectations are low, but if the club can keep Santos from putting more than one in the net, then I think there is a great possibility.

zorsofstesab
03-21-2012, 09:13 AM
Not sure is anyone is waiting to buy more tickets but you do not have to wait for ticketmaster sale at 11:00am. I just bought through account manager this morning.

ryan
03-21-2012, 09:22 AM
Where?

I'm on that now and cannot get them. I noticed that the San Jose and Chivas game went from Sold Out (yesterday) to available (today) though, lol.

zorsofstesab
03-21-2012, 09:26 AM
under buy tickets.

ryan
03-21-2012, 09:28 AM
I go there, I go under single game presale and it's not listed for me.

:(

zorsofstesab
03-21-2012, 09:32 AM
when you select the Buy Tickets does the following not appear

Purchase your tickets for the CONCACAF Champions League Quarter Final Leg on March 7, 2012 at Rogers Centre!

http://redpatchboys.ca/images/teamarrow.gif

CONCACAF Champions League Quarter-Final Leg (http://redpatchboys.ca/html/pack_planlist.htmI?l=EN&CNTX=3a931f7d8ac9b5a6181634dbc8a473d3&team=tfc&selID=349)

ryan
03-21-2012, 09:33 AM
Dude...that says QF at Rogers Centre...

And no, I just have Seasons/Partials/Single Game as options.

zorsofstesab
03-21-2012, 09:40 AM
Ryan - once you hit the link for CONCACAF Champions League Quarter Final the following appears

Date - Wed 28/03/12 8:00 PM
Event - Club Santos Laguna
Select find tickets

Club Santos Laguna
28 March 2012 8:00 PM

It is misleading but the tickets are for the March 28th game.

ryan
03-21-2012, 09:41 AM
I wish I had that link, but I don't. I don't get it.

cherono
03-21-2012, 09:55 AM
That's odd, man. I just checked as well and was able to get another pair - same thing, via the link to the Rogers Centre QF.

Primavera
03-21-2012, 09:57 AM
@zorsofstesab (http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/member.php?2641-zorsofstesab)

That was a huge tip - thanks for sharing it here.

ryan
03-21-2012, 09:58 AM
grrrrrrr. Now I'll wait till 1pm like all the other folks and miss out on the seats I want.

I"M JELLY.

zorsofstesab
03-21-2012, 09:58 AM
Sorry man, I am not trying to lead you down a wrong path. I bought without any issues. I went buy tickets, selected the link CONCACAF Champions League Quarter-Final Leg (even though we are in the semis), selected Find Tickets, Quantity 4 which is the maximum, 3 price types available (dark grey, medium grey and light grey) selected find tickets and up came the tickets.

ryan
03-21-2012, 10:01 AM
oh it's not your fault, no worries. I certainly believe it to be true, unless you're using all those other accounts claiming the same thing and really having a laugh with me. haha

Shway
03-21-2012, 10:23 AM
whats the pre-sale code for the game?????

ryan
03-21-2012, 10:55 AM
So i see there are 3 password options setup for purchase at 1pm.

Santos Supporters
TFC Supporters
Presale Offer

I presume the passwords are different, and I believe the email I got is for the Presale Offer. I'd clearly want to get into the south end but I don't know if the password I have will allow me a shot at that option. I sing loud dammit, can anyone who knows it throw me a bone?

Please?

daner90
03-21-2012, 10:56 AM
Thanks you to some guy who spilled the beans on facebook.

The password for TFC Supporter's Tickets is WINTER.

Was able to pick up 3 in 116 row 12. JACKED!!!

Lamps
03-21-2012, 11:03 AM

Thank you!!! Thank you!!!

Got a pair in 116 as well

Cheers

Joe Kool
03-21-2012, 11:04 AM

I say as long as TFC supporters are buying the tickets I don't care who knows the password but spilling it on Facebook or even on here is asking for more Santos supporters to show up by getting early access to tickets. I guess it was bound to happen anyway.

brotherjake1970
03-21-2012, 11:09 AM

Thanks!!! I was able to pick up a pair in row 121 row 11

ryan
03-21-2012, 11:11 AM
daner90 is a legend. Thanks buddy!

ryan
03-21-2012, 11:12 AM
Also, if you're looking for South End, you need to search for 2 or less or nothing will come up. You can get up to 4 in 127 if you want to sit there.

daner90
03-21-2012, 11:16 AM
I say as long as TFC supporters are buying the tickets I don't care who knows the password but spilling it on Facebook or even on here is asking for more Santos supporters to show up by getting early access to tickets. I guess it was bound to happen anyway.

Honestly I could not agree with you more because of the problems we had with away supports in early CCL games but that being said hopefully RPB can buy up the tickets in the South End where they deserve to be...if someone really takes offense to me posting this information, feel free to PM me and I will delete it...

Dv23
03-21-2012, 11:20 AM
Guys... I had a dream about this game.

I don't want to talk about it.

rockxlee
03-21-2012, 11:22 AM
I got an email saying that I would get follow up info for pre-sale tickets, that never came. Can anyone help me out? Is there a pre-sale password thats not TFC supporters tickets?

Technorgasm
03-21-2012, 11:25 AM
where did Maicon Santos go anywayz?
can someone remind me of the trade please?

Red Rat
03-21-2012, 11:33 AM
what you forgot that he ran with your girl?

jasper
03-21-2012, 11:49 AM

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! Just grabbed 2 in 113 row 8. Cant Wait.

Joe Kool
03-21-2012, 12:01 PM
Honestly I could not agree with you more because of the problems we had with away supports in early CCL games but that being said hopefully RPB can buy up the tickets in the South End where they deserve to be...if someone really takes offense to me posting this information, feel free to PM me and I will delete it...

Yeah if it is spilled elsewhere I guess it may as well be here for TFC supporters. Would hate for the source to have been this board though considering the Santos trolling that might be happening for ticket info. Any upstanding member of this forum that needs a SSH presale code can ask and they would probably receive one I would think by a fellow supporter with season seats. I sent to a few by PM already. Here's hoping that we get the right people in the right sections.

ouderwien
03-21-2012, 12:10 PM
looks like the southend is sold out, cheapest I can find are in the North stands $40 a pop.

Furtado91
03-21-2012, 12:10 PM

FUCK i missed out on it was hoping to grab 2 or 3. I gurantee people will be bitching about people standing up and flags even though there are warnings before purchasng. I wont be able to go but make us proud RPB's show those supporters of Santos that football is alive and well in Canada.

ouderwien
03-21-2012, 12:39 PM
I've been trying solid since 1:00 and I've now been able to pick up three sets of pairs in 111, so keep trying!

Furtado91
03-21-2012, 12:43 PM
^^^ Ive been trying but nothing. this is so messed up, why couldn't they just do what they did for the la game.

i can only find singles.

daner90
03-21-2012, 12:55 PM
^^^ Ive been trying but nothing. this is so messed up, why couldn't they just do what they did for the la game.

i can only find singles.

Just get tix anywhere in the stadium and move on over to 112 if that is where you want to be. I found tickets in the $33 mark.

Furtado91
03-21-2012, 12:57 PM
arent they usually stingy and picky about that? and wouldnt it be tight as it is already. i mean i doub tthey would let people stand in the isles. and im pretty they check the tickets dont they? at least when ive went i had people ask for my ticket and such.

Razor
03-21-2012, 01:04 PM
I picked up 2 in 115.

Can't wait.

ryan
03-21-2012, 01:12 PM
I wonder if it's common practice with venues/ticketmaster to make searches on low end priced tickets come up empty, so people turn to more pricey tickets?

Shady to say the least if my suspicion is true. Like some in this thread, a few of my friends I talked into getting tickets tried for South end for a while and it kept showing up empty, yet I come here and just like the post above, people are saying they are JUST getting pairs in the south end now?

Furtado91
03-21-2012, 01:18 PM
Im still trying and finding nothing ive tried 2 3 or 4 tickets ive tried $33 or $31 and i've tried other methods but still nothing. no sense in complaining as it wont make tickets show up.

ouderwien
03-21-2012, 01:25 PM
Ya I thought I was lucky enough to pick up seats in 111, but definatly did not see anything anywhere else.
Also, I never found anything about pairs. So try not setting it more then that? I'm not sure? Hopefully you can find a pair.

Greatest Ripoff
03-21-2012, 01:57 PM
If you are looking for specific seats or areas, call you ticket rep and they will be able to take care of you.

Furtado91
03-21-2012, 02:08 PM
im not a SSH unfortunately. but right now something maybe be happening so Ill see what happens.

Razor
03-21-2012, 02:24 PM
Ryan, just to clarify. I picked up those tickets at 11am this morning.

I was just merely saying I was able to grab 2 tickets to the match.

Apologies for the confusion.

Furtado91
03-21-2012, 02:37 PM
so my friend backed out on me so I was looking for a single and could only seem to find one single as it kept popping up so i grabbed it im in section 111 but i may just try to squeeze in with you guys at 112.

jazzy
03-21-2012, 03:01 PM

DC United with Dero

Roogsy
03-21-2012, 03:13 PM
DC United with Dero

Actually Santos initially went to Dallas who did not re-sign him at the end of the season and he wound up signing with DC.

Yohan
03-21-2012, 03:13 PM
DC United with Dero

Santos signed with DC this off season

Couchy81
03-21-2012, 03:44 PM
Damn I thought the pre-sale was the 22nd for some reason, I was supposed to grab 6 tickets, all I could get was a pair in 220, oh well. Can't wait.

ryan
03-21-2012, 03:55 PM
Ryan, just to clarify. I picked up those tickets at 11am this morning.

I was just merely saying I was able to grab 2 tickets to the match.

Apologies for the confusion.

Well consider my suspicions without merit.

Section225
03-22-2012, 07:54 AM
I called TFC directly at 1 yesterday, after Ticketmaster.ca came up empty for cheapies. I ended up with pairs in 212A (accessible)....I'm surprised that they would even offer those to me considering Im not in a wheelchair. Does anyone know what those seats are like? I know they are right above 112, but are there even any seats there? Is there just more space?

Auzzy
03-22-2012, 08:08 AM
I called TFC directly at 1 yesterday, after Ticketmaster.ca came up empty for cheapies. I ended up with pairs in 212A (accessible)....I'm surprised that they would even offer those to me considering Im not in a wheelchair. Does anyone know what those seats are like? I know they are right above 112, but are there even any seats there? Is there just more space?

Depending how the accessible seats & regular seats are selling, they can make some of those available. It's common for the accessible seats to be made available, 1-2 weeks before the game. I think they just keep a few aside for possible later accessible purchases.

Those are nice spots, on top of the section with a nice view, and yes there are seats

Section225
03-22-2012, 08:16 AM
Depending how the accessible seats & regular seats are selling, they can make some of those available. It's common for the accessible seats to be made available, 1-2 weeks before the game. I think they just keep a few aside for possible later accessible purchases.

Those are nice spots, on top of the section with a nice view, and yes there are seats

Thanks for the info!!!!!!!!!

Joe Kool
03-22-2012, 08:22 AM

They keep those seats up to 48 hrs for or so before the gameday then they release them to whoever wants to buy them if not used by the accessible community. I have season seats in 214A and I love them. It is like having your own patio to watch the game from. There are chairs that you can move out of the way if you want to so you can stand if you like (my preference). The view is good too cause I don't like to be too close to the pitch. Only crappy part is if cold wind is blowing from the south you have no cover behind you because you are on top and can get pretty blasted by the elements there but there are more good days than bad days.

Joe Kool
03-22-2012, 08:32 AM
Just a correction to my post. I guess the 48hr rule is old way of doing it because it is just sinking in that we are talking about the Santos game. They must be changing up their rules to sell more seats. Auzzy is probably more right with the 1 to 2 weeks estimate. I am still thinking 2009.

TFC07
03-22-2012, 09:53 AM
I got my tickets yesterday! :flare:

Dreadlocks
03-22-2012, 11:01 AM
So if anyone is interested, here is a link to some info on Santos Laguna.

http://www.soccerway.com/teams/mexico/club-santos-laguna/statistics/

ryan
03-22-2012, 11:12 AM
Interesting to note their away form. Giving up almost 2 goals per match with 5 given in the past. They seem consistent on offence though, so we'll need to be sharp and get some bounces to go our way to keep them off the score sheet.

Scoring 3 goals is a must.

jasper
03-22-2012, 11:21 AM
If im not mistaken Santos will be without their DM Juan Pablo Rodriguez due to yellow card accumulation.

mastermixer
03-22-2012, 11:57 AM
Trying to think positive for this game. Having Frings out might be good in terms of adding some speed on the back line to defend on the much quicker Mexicans. I'm guessing we will go back to the 4-3-3 while he is gone too.

MartinUtd
03-22-2012, 04:12 PM
Not sure what our best line up is now that Frings is out but I'd like to see something like this

-------------Koev-----------
Johnson-----------------Plata
-------------Silva-----------
--------Dunfield--JDG--------
Morgan--Emroy--Acavel--Ecks
-----------Kocic-----------

I was impressed enough with Emroy in Seattle that I'd like to see him play his more natural position at CB. Drop Harden to the bench and sub Plata for Soolsma or vice-verse come 65 or so minutes. I think that line up could be competitive.

reggie
03-22-2012, 10:00 PM
any idea what the sales are like for weds night

BS1327
03-22-2012, 10:33 PM
Not sure what our best line up is now that Frings is out but I'd like to see something like this

-------------Koev-----------
Johnson-----------------Plata
-------------Silva-----------
--------Dunfield--JDG--------
Morgan--Emroy--Acavel--Ecks
-----------Kocic-----------

I was impressed enough with Emroy in Seattle that I'd like to see him play his more natural position at CB. Drop Harden to the bench and sub Plata for Soolsma or vice-verse come 65 or so minutes. I think that line up could be competitive.

Emroy is cup-tied with Peurto Rico and can't play (He was impressive in Seattle for his debut!) For that, Harden will start in his place.

I think it's up in the air between Soolsma and Plata to start. Soolsma and Johnson have been playing well together thus far. Plata's speed will help, but look for Santos to be just as quick. They're in form, so bringing him in later won't make as much of an impact as it would against a tired LA team. I dont think they'll be as tired.

if we're leading at any point, look for Maund to come in. In both LA games, Winter's sat back to play defensively when we've had the lead. Hopefully this wont be the case, I think if we stop attacking against Santos, we'll be done.

ryan
03-23-2012, 08:37 AM
I think, well hope, that Winter is smart enough to realize that taking a 1 goal advantage (should we have it) to Mexico, will be the likely end of us.

We need to be out for blood on Wednesday. 10 forwards please.

MartinUtd
03-23-2012, 10:52 AM
Emroy is cup-tied with Peurto Rico and can't play (He was impressive in Seattle for his debut!) For that, Harden will start in his place.

I think it's up in the air between Soolsma and Plata to start. Soolsma and Johnson have been playing well together thus far. Plata's speed will help, but look for Santos to be just as quick. They're in form, so bringing him in later won't make as much of an impact as it would against a tired LA team. I dont think they'll be as tired.

if we're leading at any point, look for Maund to come in. In both LA games, Winter's sat back to play defensively when we've had the lead. Hopefully this wont be the case, I think if we stop attacking against Santos, we'll be done.

Didn't realize he was cup tied.. thanks for that.

So where does that leave us for #2 CB? It does seem like it's Harden's job for now and since he was better than Iro last year we know it could be worse (especially when playing the high line we've seen seeing from Winter).

TFCBarrie
03-23-2012, 11:38 AM

Soolsma and Plata play two different wings, they should both be starting. But based on current form, i'd take Soolsma over Plata in a heartbeat.

MartinUtd
03-23-2012, 11:39 AM
Plata can play both sides, can't he?

Ageroo
03-23-2012, 11:56 AM
Plata can play both sides, can't he?

For sure and has in past...

ManUtd4ever
03-23-2012, 12:02 PM
I didn't realize Emory was cup tied. Harden is going to vulnerable against the technically skilled Mexican forwards.