PDA

View Full Version : CCL: LAG vs TFC, Man of the Match

Roogsy
03-15-2012, 09:00 AM
Ok last week's version was a runaway vote. Not even close. I would expect in this version to be much less agreement as several players had sparkling games.

So...who is your MOTM?

Whoop
03-15-2012, 09:01 AM
Ryan Johnson or Nick Soolsma, likely Johnson.

Gazza
03-15-2012, 09:02 AM
We needed to score, so i would go with Soolsma or Johnson. I go with Soolsma.

Honourable mention goes to Kocic for his save on Keane and the way he handled crosses.

Edit: Did this before i saw the poll. Since this is a Roogsy poll, i changed my mind to Winter. We are, afterall, walking in his wonderland.

Bluenose13
03-15-2012, 09:03 AM
Nick Soolsma

Honorable mention to......

Ryan Johnson & Milos Kocic

Roogsy
03-15-2012, 09:03 AM
Kocic's save is a huge reason it didn't go into overtime.

But Johnson has been money this CCL and that header was about as quality as any league gets. As I mentioned in the match thread, he has been THE acquisition for the club in my opinion and I am going with him.

Man has he been a surprise.

The defense for me last night held their own but weren't extraordinary. LA could have easily scored more goals if they were on their game of if Kocic did not step up as well as he did. So for me it was the offence that gets credit.

Bluenose13
03-15-2012, 09:05 AM

But Johnson has been money this CCL and that header was about as quality as any league gets. As I mentioned in the match thread, he has been THE acquisition for the club in my opinion and I am going with him.

The defense for me last night held their own but weren't extraordinary. LA could have easily scored more goals if they were on their game of if Kocic did not step up as well as he did. So for me it was the offence that gets credit.Since day he arrived RJ has been a special player.

He is long overdue a player chant, he needs some love.

EastYork
03-15-2012, 09:10 AM
Our top 3 players were Nick Soolsma, Ryan Johnson & Milos Kocic, with Kocic being the game MVP.

Roogsy
03-15-2012, 09:15 AM
It bodes well for the team that the top 3 players were not the DPs.

Relja
03-15-2012, 09:19 AM
Id give it to any of the 4:

Johnson, Soolsma, Frings or Kocic.

But I think this time Johnson just beat them out.

Shakes McQueen
03-15-2012, 09:24 AM
Johnson was our spark on the attack. Kocic was our saviour on a couple of occasions at the back. It's a toss up between those two guys, for me.

Winter also gets credit for his gutsy tactics. It was risky, and we almost broke more than once, but I think it's the kind of risk you have to take against a team like LA - if you want to win.

He also quickly made changes to the lineup as the score changed. I thought he did good.

- Scott

Whoop
03-15-2012, 09:28 AM

True, but Frings was very good yesterday.

He's the glue.

Whoop
03-15-2012, 09:29 AM
I also think Morgan deserves a mention, especially in the 2nd half.

trane
03-15-2012, 09:33 AM
De Ro.

[I had too]

Johnson was huge. But Kocic lets another one in, and it is all over.

Ageroo
03-15-2012, 09:36 AM
I voted Winter......tfc could have done its famous 2nd half collapse and it didn't. High praise for after inserting dunfield in hopes of defending the lead, to inserting Silva to gain that spark back...as well getting a tired koevermans off and bringing in maund to add back some defensive ability.

loconet
03-15-2012, 09:39 AM
I love the fact that we're even having discussions on who the motm was, specially with so many choices.

.. and we haven't played a single league game yet! I'm liking the potential for this year.

Heart of Stone
03-15-2012, 09:45 AM
Johnson did all the work on the second goal... stayed strong on the ball, cleared the first defender with his cross...

Ageroo
03-15-2012, 09:46 AM
if I didn't pick Winter I would have gone with Kocic. He was a beast when he needed to be......guess I will have to bust out my Kocic jersey this season.

__wowza
03-15-2012, 09:47 AM
soolsma and johnson were fantastic, no doubt, but kocic made not 1, not 2, but 3 game saving stops. i didn't feel nervous when i saw a corner kick come in (compared to frei) and i genuinely felt safe with him between the pipes.

Shakes McQueen
03-15-2012, 09:48 AM
How great was that Soolsma goal? Great ball into the box, and just a perfect touch by Soolsma to put it home. I was ecstatic.

- Scott

trane
03-15-2012, 09:55 AM
What no props to Harden for his goal???????

Detroit_TFC
03-15-2012, 09:57 AM
I voted Kocic but the way Ryan Johnson has quietly become huge for us is very interesting. Soolsma has gone from being questionable to solid. Even Harden, who people wanted to tar and feather, is showing improvement - even considering the OG. We are far from being the full package but can see how things are fitting together.

DichioTFC
03-15-2012, 09:58 AM
I voted other for Frings. I know Soolsma, Johnson and Kocic got the spotlight but he was effective all night and we would have been down early if he hadn't give the backline support and transition movement.

Detroit_TFC
03-15-2012, 09:58 AM

The initiative in getting on the score sheet is what we demand from all our employees.

Shakes McQueen
03-15-2012, 10:01 AM

Once the coaches explain to him which net he's supposed to be shooting at, this kid is going to be a BEAST!

- Scott

DichioTFC
03-15-2012, 10:01 AM
I voted Kocic but the way Ryan Johnson has quietly become huge for us is very interesting. Soolsma has gone from being questionable to solid. Even Harden, who people wanted to tar and feather, is showing improvement - even considering the OG. We are far from being the full package but can see how things are fitting together.

I was thinking about this last night as well. I was comparing the hype behind signing Johnson to the mass revolt that lead to the Ali Gerba signing. Maybe the lowered expectations has helped Johnson excel, but still, he's in the discussion of being TFC's best striker.

trane
03-15-2012, 10:02 AM
Shakes are you saying Harden would tear the league up as CF?

[ I have to admit that he has improved, still would like to see him of the bench]

Detroit_TFC
03-15-2012, 10:05 AM
Don't want to harsh the buzz, but Danny K just wasn't looking in the game last night. He needs service and hasn't been getting it. Issue here?

Roogsy
03-15-2012, 10:12 AM
Strikers are streaky.

I have wondered about his subdued play as well but for all we know he'll break out in the league and score in 5 straight games.

Canary10
03-15-2012, 10:23 AM
It was a bit of an ugly game to watch, and certainly not the free flowing football we've been promised, but Winter gets a tactical win. He's showing now that he can roll with it and change tactics up to get a win. Also I think he's well prepared (something Seattle clearly wasn't in Mexico last night). He deserves a lot of credit for the win. If we play like that on the road we'll grind out some ugly wins. Just what's needed to move up the table in MLS.

__wowza
03-15-2012, 10:27 AM
Don't want to harsh the buzz, but Danny K just wasn't looking in the game last night. He needs service and hasn't been getting it. Issue here?

i noticed it too. i know strikers are temperamental (anyone else see the articles when messi didnt score for three games? "has messi lost it?" "why messi is all downhill from here"? etc?) but koev's age really showed last game, he wasnt as alert as he shouldve been and they were right to sub him out.

Shakes McQueen
03-15-2012, 10:32 AM
LA's defense were focused on marking Koov out of the game, which helped open some space along the wings for us. It'll happen occasionally.

I'm not worried about Danny K yet. He'll get his goals.

- Scott

DichioTFC
03-15-2012, 10:47 AM
DK will be fine. His role is to be a targetman striker against rough and tumble teams. Galaxy have more of a finesse squad so that's why he seemed so out of place. I expect him to be more of a presence against SJ and Columbus in the coming weeks.

JuliquE
03-15-2012, 11:02 AM
This is true, all day and not that our DP's were useless; obviously, JDG struggled, at times.. but was certainly a factor in few good plays. Frings was Frings; general, pulling the strings for us and Koevermans was being so tightly marked that he opened up space for our wide guys to exploit.

Pays to have the team really in sync with each other, this way and to have goal threats from all over the pitch (no one player for our opposition to focus on).

That said, I will have to agree with Johnson as MOTM. It was tough, because I think Soolsma was outstanding, on the night and goodness me -- Kocic was huge.. literally.

JuliquE
03-15-2012, 11:05 AM
I also think Morgan deserves a mention, especially in the 2nd half.
Do excuse the double-post, but I wholeheartedly agree; can't leave him out in special mentions -- Winter, as a few have already noted, also deserves much credit for his tactical reactions to the game, as it unfolded.

T-boy
03-15-2012, 11:07 AM

It's definitely not Koev's fault. The roll he plays at TFC is a very isolated one - he's going to get into the game sometimes, and will complete vanish in some games. He doesn't have a strike partner to lay off the ball too, or feed from, so he's got to feed off the balls into him, whenever they come in. It's a frustrating roll he has to play, but he does it well.

Koev's is our version of Darren Bent - will do very little during most games overall, but is in the right place at the right time to score the goals. I don't expect any more than that from him. so, as long as he takes the portion of his chances at goal, I'm satisfied.

Batman
03-15-2012, 11:09 AM
The Big Johnson is going to tear up this league!

T-boy
03-15-2012, 11:10 AM
There were a few good performaces last night - Kocic save and command of the area was great. Johnson was great.

But my pick last night for MOTM was Morgan - he was outstanding, lots of energy, and really did well when asked to push forward. He's going to have a huge season if he keeps up his development!

starter
03-15-2012, 11:12 AM
I went with Soolsma, since I look at him as a TFC success story. AW did not get my consideration cause I did not like his inserting of Dunfield so soon, if Plata needed to be changed, there was Silva available at the time -- bunkering down with a half to go was a dumb move.

lobo
03-15-2012, 11:15 AM
i think Frings deserved to be in that poll more so than Plata did ... but for me Kocic was the MOTM last night. He came up big several times, especially first half early against Magee, then the one that got me jumping off my bar stool against Keane in 2nd half.

Frings was uber solid, and really influenced our attack from CM after LA drew even. Johnson and Soolsma, wow! Morgan was quietly all business. And I think honourable mention should also go to JDG who, along with Soolsma in CM, made Beckham invisible in the first half. Eckersley was alright, when he wasn't running people over from behind lol. Aceval played with more confidence it seemed.

It was a beautiful game to watch, great flow, loved our methodical build ups and possession game. Off the ball, I thought we pressured well, and (OMG!) marked very well. I had a lot of confidence until the last 20 minutes when i didn't know how we would handle the inevitable LA pressure. We were poised, calm, and confident, and in the end LA didn't really get a lot of quality chances. We clearly out hustled and out worked LA. We deserved the win.

AlanO
03-15-2012, 11:20 AM
It's definitely not Koev's fault. The roll he plays at TFC is a very isolated one - he's going to get into the game sometimes, and will complete vanish in some games. He doesn't have a strike partner to lay off the ball too, or feed from, so he's got to feed off the balls into him, whenever they come in. It's a frustrating roll he has to play, but he does it well.

Koev's is our version of Darren Bent - will do very little during most games overall, but is in the right place at the right time to score the goals. I don't expect any more than that from him. so, as long as he takes the portion of his chances at goal, I'm satisfied.

He also does a lot away from the ball that doesn't get noticed.

Watch Koev on Soolsma's goal. He raises pure bloody hell in the box, distracting Saunders and the defenders, allowing Soolsma to run in completely unmarked.

Not only that - when johnson made his pass, Koev had given himself some separation and was in a position to receive it, but Soolsma got there first.

T-boy
03-15-2012, 11:22 AM
^^^

Agreed. I can see some supporters not noticing a lot of the things that Koev's does, and probably not liking him/complaining about him. But he's a classy striker who does a lot for the team. He's being asked to do a difficult roll at TFC. Not everybody will like it, but others will really apprciate what he does, like you obvious do.

trane
03-15-2012, 11:22 AM
Strikers are streaky.

I have wondered about his subdued play as well but for all we know he'll break out in the league and score in 5 straight games.

I thought he was quite active and lively in the second half of the first game.

Yohan
03-15-2012, 12:02 PM
3 breakaway saves makes Cock Itch MOM.

Maltese Falcon
03-15-2012, 12:03 PM
3 breakaway saves makes Cock Itch MOM.
Yeah without Kocic we'd be in big trouble...they beat our trap a number of times and Kocic bailed out T.O.

Couchy81
03-15-2012, 12:59 PM
Kocic pure class in goal

ginkster88
03-15-2012, 01:54 PM
What is Johnson's record in the league and in the CCL.

I wonder if he's that kind of player who is middling during league play, but steps up for big matches.

Heart of Stone
03-15-2012, 01:54 PM
Kocic pure class in goal

And a great post game interview... actually seemed to be genuinely giddy about the whole experience.

ginkster88
03-15-2012, 01:55 PM
Kocic was a straight gangster in the box, and made the sickest 1 on 1 save I've seen in a long time on Keane to save TFC's lead.

Yohan
03-15-2012, 02:05 PM

I wonder if he's that kind of player who is middling during league play, but steps up for big matches.
last year for TFC 12 games, 3 goals, 2 assists in MLS

ManUtd4ever
03-15-2012, 02:29 PM

Among our forwards, I would have to say that Johnson has had the greatest impact during this unexpected CCL run. During his brief tenure with TFC thus far, he has already scored several clutch goals in crucial matches.

In retrospect, San Jose got reamed without the lube on that trade.

ArmenJBX
03-15-2012, 03:05 PM
San Jose was the one screwing themselves.

They played Ryan Johnson out of position for large stretches at a time, looking to plug gaps in their roster that they didn't have. When he didn't perform, he was seen as excess to requirements. When Toronto offered three players for one, San Jose saw it as a stop-gap measure.

Now, comfortable, Ryan Johnson has every chance of being a key figure in this team, especially if Danny Koevermans keeps this poor run of form going... :(

Yohan
03-15-2012, 03:10 PM
Now, comfortable, Ryan Johnson has every chance of being a key figure in this team, especially if Danny Koevermans keeps this poor run of form going... :(
oh ffs. DK didn't score in 2 competitive games. we'll start worrying when it's like 4-5

T-boy
03-15-2012, 03:15 PM

That's honestly one of the most rediculous things I've ever read on this forum!

you try playing alone up front marked by 4 defenders?! See how succesful you are at scoring goals! haha!

trane
03-15-2012, 03:23 PM
oh ffs. DK didn't score in 2 competitive games. we'll start worrying when it's like 4-5

Yeah, we are so quick to panic. And in observing him I did not find him poor overall in either game. At times he showed a bit of lack of form, but this is early in the season, but for the most part, again particularly in the 2nd half of the first game he did well overall.

Jack
03-15-2012, 03:41 PM
I'm going with Johnson for scoring 1.5 goals. That was a great dip in by Soolsma and a solid finish, but Johnson made the space and served it up on a platter. His header was sublime and he was good all night, not to mention in the first leg.

Wagner
03-15-2012, 04:58 PM
that one-on-one save clinched it for me.

wUaMzsNKR7Q

jaxul
03-15-2012, 10:47 PM
It's very tough to choose since without the save(s) we would have seen extra time and without the goals we wouldn't be having such lively conversations on this forum :)

I will go with Kocic since his most important save came under a great deal of pressure. One could argue that if Keane had scored in the 74th minute LA would have gained momentum and perhaps score a third but thanks to Milos their frustration grew exponentially :)

grizzle
03-15-2012, 11:36 PM
Not sure how Frings isn't in this list but he's my choice. Sure Johnson got the first goal but most of the gam beyond that he made a lot of errors that could have turned costly.

Ajax TFC
03-15-2012, 11:37 PM
Itchy Cock FTW! :flare:
Also, just because Koevermans isn't scoring, doesn't mean he's off form. When TFC was resorting to long balls, especially in the first leg with Dunfield in, Koevermans was winning most of his headers, despite being double marked, and redirecting the ball into the paths of the other attackers.

Morgan did an excellent job at left wing when Maund came on for Koevermans. If I didn't know that he was a fullback I would have thought that left wing was his natural position. I actually wouldn't be surprised if he got moved there eventually at some point in his career (a la Gareth Bale, Royston Drenthe, Urby Emanuelson, etc). but for now I'm quite happy with him as a fullback

TFCRegina
03-15-2012, 11:55 PM

The defense for me last night held their own but weren't extraordinary. LA could have easily scored more goals if they were on their game of if Kocic did not step up as well as he did. So for me it was the offence that gets credit.

RJ FOR DESIGNATED PLayer!