PDA

View Full Version : MLS Week 2 thread

Yohan
03-12-2012, 11:11 PM
Sat 17 Mar

Chicago at Montreal
-Yohan's prediction: Chicago 1-0 Montreal. Big crowd at Big O not enough to boost Montreal's weak offence

Houston at San Jose
-Yohan's prediction: Houston 0-1 San Jose. SJ's long ball to squeak past league's best defence

Portland at Dallas
-Yohan's prediction: Portland 1-2 Dallas. Portland is not a great road team and Dallas seemed to have gotten last year's funk out of their system

New England at Kansas City
-Yohan's prediction: New England 0-2 Kansas City. KC looked good on road, and should have no problem ripping apart New England.

New York at Real Salt Lake
-Yohan's prediction: New York 1-3 Real Salt Lake. Real Salt Lake looked good away at LA, while NY's defence looked very poor vs Dallas. RSL, with more match fit Saborio and Morales to run rampant.

Toronto at Seattle
-Yohan's prediction: Toronto 1-2 Seattle. Both teams will be tired after mid week away trip for CCL, but Seattle at home to have just enough gas to squeak past TFC.

Vancouver at Chivas USA
-Yohan's prediction: Vancouver 1-0 Chivas USA. Patchwork Chivas USA don't have enough to withstand Vancouver offence, even at home.

Sun 18 Mar

Colorado at Philadelphia
-Yohan's prediction: Colorado 1-1 Philadelphia. Lots of questions on Philly, lots of questions on Colorado.

DC at Los Angeles
-Yohan's prediction: DC 0-2 Los Angeles. Surely you can't expect LA to have two poor games at home, esp again DC that seems to lack midfield.

jloome
03-12-2012, 11:38 PM
Chicago at Montreal
-Yohan's prediction: Chicago 1-0 Montreal. Big crowd at Big O not enough to boost Montreal's weak offence -- I'm going with 2-0 Chicago.

Houston at San Jose
-Yohan's prediction: Houston 0-1 San Jose. SJ's long ball to squeak past league's best defence. I'll go the other way and say 1-0 Houston, Houston shuts down Wondo.

Portland at Dallas
-Yohan's prediction: Portland 1-2 Dallas. Portland is not a great road team and Dallas seemed to have gotten last year's funk out of their system. -- Tough one. That finish by Boyd was pure class but Dallas is big at the back now. Their buildup is abit schizo right now. I'll go 1-1.

New England at Kansas City
-Yohan's prediction: New England 0-2 Kansas City. KC looked good on road, and should have no problem ripping apart New England.-- New England has some real personnel upgrades this year but not convinced Jay Heaps can get them past KC. 1-2, KC takes it.

New York at Real Salt Lake
-Yohan's prediction: New York 1-3 Real Salt Lake. Real Salt Lake looked good away at LA, while NY's defence looked very poor vs Dallas. RSL, with more match fit Saborio and Morales to run rampant. I don't think they'll run rampant against New York. If they do, it might be the beginning of the end of Backe and Soler, the way a certain T. Henry is moping. RSL 2-1.

Toronto at Seattle
-Yohan's prediction: Toronto 1-2 Seattle. Both teams will be tired after mid week away trip for CCL, but Seattle at home to have just enough gas to squeak past TFC. I assume TFC's staying out west and training in Seattle, rather than flying back for two days. Man, Seattle's tough. I'm gonna go with 2-1 Seattle also.

Vancouver at Chivas USA
-Yohan's prediction: Vancouver 1-0 Chivas USA. Patchwork Chivas USA don't have enough to withstand Vancouver offence, even at home. That's a good call. I'll go with 2-0 for Vancouver.

Sun 18 Mar

Colorado at Philadelphia
-Yohan's prediction: Colorado 1-1 Philadelphia. Lots of questions on Philly, lots of questions on Colorado. Fewer on Colorado and the three-man front could cause Philly real problems. I'll go with 1-0 Colorado.

DC at Los Angeles
-Yohan's prediction: DC 0-2 Los Angeles. Surely you can't expect LA to have two poor games at home, esp again DC that seems to lack midfield. I'll go with 3-1, with DeRo or Salihi getting one back for DC. LA will be out for blood after their defeat in the second leg to TFC.

kodiakTFC
03-13-2012, 01:52 AM
I went 4 for 8 in week 1.. here's to improvement!

Chicago at Montreal - Chicago
Houston at San Jose - San Jose
Portland at Dallas - Draw
New England at Kansas City - KC
New York at Real Salt Lake - RSL
Toronto at Seattle - Seattle
Vancouver at Chivas USA - Vancouver
Colorado at Philadelphia - Draw
DC at Los Angeles - LA

Yohan
03-13-2012, 11:41 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2012/03/13/sp-impact-mls-stadium.html?cmp=rss

Mtl aiming for 58,500 for opener vs Chicago at Big O on Sat. Reports 46,500 tix sold right now. Crazy numbers

tfcleeds
03-14-2012, 12:48 AM
I'll go with 3-1, with DeRo or Salihi getting one back for DC. LA will be out for blood after their defeat in the second leg to TFC.

I like the way you think :)

Oldtimer
03-14-2012, 06:24 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2012/03/13/sp-impact-mls-stadium.html?cmp=rss

Mtl aiming for 58,500 for opener vs Chicago at Big O on Sat. Reports 46,500 tix sold right now. Crazy numbers

An opener like that will probably help them boost their season ticket numbers.

Yohan
03-16-2012, 02:04 PM
Still not used to seeing French on MLS site, but Montreal's website is pretty nice getting ready for their kick off

http://www.impactmontreal.com/en

Davy Arnaud actually has pretty decent French accent.

http://www.impactmontreal.com/en/video/2012/03/07/message-francais-davy-arnaud-supporters

Yohan
03-16-2012, 02:26 PM
Montreal now looking at 60,000 for home opener. holy fuck

http://www.impactmontreal.com/en/news/2012/03/1600-additional-tickets-released-home-opener

Yohan
03-17-2012, 01:06 PM
http://www.firstrowsports.eu/watch/113817/1/watch-cf-montreal-vs-chicago-fire.html

Montreal vs Chicago now

TFC1154ever
03-17-2012, 01:19 PM
Wow that pitch at the Olympic Stadium is sooo bad. The ball is bouncing everywhere

TFC USA
03-17-2012, 01:26 PM
Fuck the L'Impact for the Quebec flag and not the Canadian flag. You assholes are not a country and never will be unless you start a war.

God damn they're overly nationalistic, if that's even possible.

Go Fire.

Eastend
03-17-2012, 01:39 PM
^^They have the Canadian flag on their sleeve. Where are you talking about?

Yohan
03-17-2012, 01:40 PM
Tottenham vs Bolton match abandoned due to Fabrice Muamba collapsing and being taken to hospital. Last I heard CPR being done to him to try to resusitate him. Frankly hard to concentrate on Impact/Fire match right now

Eastend
03-17-2012, 01:42 PM
Hopefully the pitch levels off before we get there.

TFC USA
03-17-2012, 01:44 PM

http://twitpic.com/8xm3j7

Eastend
03-17-2012, 01:47 PM
Tottenham vs Bolton match abandoned due to Fabrice Muamba collapsing and being taken to hospital. Last I heard CPR being done to him to try to resusitate him. Frankly hard to concentrate on Impact/Fire match right now

Wow, that's tough. Hopefully he'll be ok.

kaos197O
03-17-2012, 01:48 PM
When the anthems were sung the US flag came out and should have been alongside the Canadian Flag but the Impact brought out the Quebec Flag with No Canadian flags anywhere to be seen in the stadium. MLS should stop that crap immediately.

I hate Montreal more than ever after that. I hope they get hammered game in and game out.

Disrespecting Canada every chance they get.

Piss off L'impact

Eastend
03-17-2012, 01:49 PM

Oh, I see. I missed the beginning. Fuckers.....and I'm from Montreal.

denime
03-17-2012, 01:50 PM
When the anthems were sung the US flag came out and should have been alongside the Canadian Flag but the Impact brought out the Quebec Flag with No Canadian flags anywhere to be seen in the stadium. MLS should stop that crap immediately.

I hate Montreal more than ever after that. I hope they get hammered game in and game out.

Piss off L'impact

This should be sent to MLS office in NY.

Eastend
03-17-2012, 01:50 PM

Piss off L'impact

How about our tifo on April 7th is 300+ Canadian Flags?

kaos197O
03-17-2012, 01:54 PM
How about our tifo on April 7th is 300+ Canadian Flags?

100% agree and

This should be sent to MLS office in NY.

100% agree

MLS should not partake in nor allow this kind of political nonsense.

I'm sickened by this still.

RealG-TFC
03-17-2012, 01:56 PM
Oh, I see. I missed the beginning. Fuckers.....and I'm from Montreal.

According to the commenter, they also had the canadian flag and the city flag.

Kaz
03-17-2012, 01:58 PM

Doesn't matter they were displaying a Provincial flag over the Canadian. That is just wrong.

kaos197O
03-17-2012, 02:00 PM
If they did it was not visible. The Quebec flag was first.....montreal flag beside it and honestly there was no Canadian flag in sight. It should have been Canadian flag first and whatever they hell they wanted after.

J .
03-17-2012, 02:02 PM
Lets bring 300 Ontario flags.

RealG-TFC
03-17-2012, 02:03 PM
It's just a league game anyway. So they centred the Qc flag more instead of the canadian one. It's not like they played Gens du Pays intstead of Oh canada or anything. I doubt they'll do that for everygame anyway.

Because if that was the case, then yes, I too would be pissed.

Eastend
03-17-2012, 02:07 PM

PVR is great. I went back to the beginning of the match. Canadian flag was to the left of the American flag, out of the main camera shoot and throughout the anthems it appears the directors did all they could to ensure it was not in the frame. The city flag which was to the right of the Quebec flag made almost every shot with the Quebec flag.

I have a picture of the Canadian flag but don't know how to load it from my phone.

Dom.

MrRobson
03-17-2012, 02:09 PM
Montreal dominated chicago in the 1st half.

Eastend
It's just a league game anyway. So they centred the Qc flag more instead of the canadian one. It's not like they played Gens du Pays intstead of Oh canada or anything. I doubt they'll do that for everygame anyway.

Because if that was the case, then yes, I too would be pissed.

Are you new to Canada/Quebec issues? This wasn't done "on purpose", it's just the way it is.

kaos197O
[quote=RealG-TFC;1460543]It's just a league game anyway. So they centred the Qc flag more instead of the canadian one. It's not like they played Gens du Pays intstead of Oh canada or anything. I doubt they'll do that for everygame anyway.

Because if that was the case, then yes, I too would be pissed.[/quote

What's the point of flags during the NATIONAL ANTHEMS if we are going to put up whatever flag you feel like displaying? You and I both know it was well thought out and done purposefully. Anyhow, it's a disgrace and I still have yet to see any proof that the Canadian flag was there.

Obviously, we see things differently.

mr k
03-17-2012, 02:10 PM
The Cdn flag was there beside the Quebec flag along with the city flag but the order was wrong.

The question now is if it was a honest mistake like they forgot to remove the center tarp till the last moment or was it deliberate positioning?

DinamoTFC
03-17-2012, 02:11 PM
The Canadian flag was to the left of the U.S flag but in the telecast you couldnt see it well.

It went:

Canadian Flag---US Flag----Quebec Flag---Montreal City Flag

Eastend
03-17-2012, 02:11 PM
Anyway, back to the actual match. I think even match with MTL having the edge a little.

kaos197O
03-17-2012, 02:12 PM
PVR is great. I went back to the beginning of the match. Canadian flag was to the left of the American flag, out of the main camera shoot and throughout the anthems it appears the directors did all they could to ensure it was not in the frame. The city flag which was to the right of the Quebec flag made almost every shot with the Quebec flag.

I have a picture of the Canadian flag but don't know how to load it from my phone.

Dom.
Sorry I didn't see it at first but will look back now. Very odd that this would be allowed. It stinks to me!

Redpunkfiddle
Personally, I'd do away with all the flag and anthem business for league games. Silly North American insertion.

Just like I could do without jersey sponsors. Silly Rest Of the World insertion.

J .
is there a stream for the mtl match?

Huyton
03-17-2012, 02:13 PM
1759 - Montcalm 0 Wolfe 1
2009 - Impact 1, TFC 6
Je me souviens, aussi.

Yohan
03-17-2012, 02:16 PM
is there a stream for the mtl match?
http://www.justin.tv/cholillo_844

J .
03-17-2012, 02:19 PM
The battle between Montcalm and Wolfe was between England and France, its a sad feature of Canadian history english and french attach themselves. In fact, it is Quebec and Ontario together that built the country we have. Without the strong federalist presence in both provinces Canada would have never grown so fast nor been able to hold together such a sparse territory. It is through logic, not war that has kept Canada together and early (and modern) Canadian history is a testament to that.

It would be better to look at the referendums.

Canada United 2 - Quebec Separatists 0

J .
03-17-2012, 02:20 PM
http://www.justin.tv/cholillo_844

thank you kind sir:drinking:

Yohan
03-17-2012, 02:20 PM
gotta say, Gargan's been having a good game for Fire

RealG-TFC
03-17-2012, 02:21 PM
Are you new to Canada/Quebec issues? This wasn't done "on purpose", it's just the way it is.

No i'm certainly not new. But I really don't feel like making a huge deal out of this. It's Mtl, it's really not that surprising.

I also don't like the idea of going down the whole separatist vs. federalist road by getting TFC involved in this.

Yohan
03-17-2012, 02:22 PM
No i'm certainly not new. But I really don't feel like making a huge deal out of this. It's Mtl, it's really not that surprising.

I also don't like the idea of going down the whole separatist vs. federalist road by getting TFC involved in this.
yeah. leave the politics out of soccer

RealG-TFC
03-17-2012, 02:22 PM
Weak shot from Odouro

Yohan
03-17-2012, 02:26 PM
breakdown in Chicago defence and Davy Arnaud heads it in. Montreal going apeshit. 1-0

58,912 in attendance

Heart of Stone
03-17-2012, 02:27 PM
59 000 fans at the Big O... basically 12 000 more than what we got to the Dome...

Great for Canadian soccer landscape!

Garber basically just told Ottawa, Edmonton, etc. to "suck it" in terms of further MLS expansion into Canada...

Auzzy
03-17-2012, 02:28 PM
http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg618/scaled.php?tn=0&server=618&filename=o6crs.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

Heart of Stone
03-17-2012, 02:31 PM
Given that there are still a few MLS clubs that get 15 000 or less for most of their home games... it would take Dallas F.C. at least four home games to get the same number of fans through their gates as Montreal has today...

RealG-TFC
03-17-2012, 02:31 PM
It got loud in there!

Eastend
03-17-2012, 02:32 PM
It is what it is. Just commenting. Believe me, I am the last person to talk politics.

Anyway......

Inklink
03-17-2012, 02:32 PM
Good stuff MTL. Hope the team does well at the gates, great for Canadian soccer. MEXICAN WAVE

How many franchises have scored their first goal vs. Chicago? :lol:

Eastend
03-17-2012, 02:33 PM
Great crowd and good game so far. Nice 1st MLS goal for MTL.

Heart of Stone
03-17-2012, 02:35 PM
The wave goes around the Big O... there's a guy in sec. 126 that loses his shit when any casual fans at BMO try to start the wave... seems kind of baseball-ish but I guess it's not a big deal if fans want to do it to show their support...

Roogsy
03-17-2012, 02:39 PM
Considering the Wave is historically thought to have started at footy games that has always been a headscratcher.

Inklink
03-17-2012, 02:40 PM
Lol 1-1

rocktml
yes! 1-1! Fuck you Impact!

Yohan
Oduro equalizes. That guy is on fire...

Kaz
03-17-2012, 02:41 PM
Great play by Chicago to level... I want this to be a nice 1-1 tie... no need for either team to get all three points.

Heart of Stone
03-17-2012, 02:45 PM
Considering the Wave is historically thought to have started at footy games that has always been a headscratcher.

Well ... precisely. Not sure why it garners such a violent reaction from time-to-time... I remember during season 1 having "serious" supporters scream "not part of the culture!" at casual fans who attempted to start it... I guess context is everything.

SoccMan
03-17-2012, 02:58 PM
I hate Montreal because they are a rival not because of the English/French thing or political history, I guess if you have British ancestory you care, I don't have any British ancestory in me so I could give a fuck about the Plains of Abrahams or whatever it's called thing.

Yohan
03-17-2012, 03:02 PM
Chicago broadcasters. worst ever. dribbling the ball is 'carrying the luggage'

and they switched programs before the game is over

Carefree
03-17-2012, 03:05 PM
So how did the game end? The stream I was watching just switched to a Chris Brown video.

Kaz
03-17-2012, 03:07 PM
I hate Montreal because they are a rival not because of the English/French thing or political history, I guess if you have British ancestory you care, I don't have any British ancestory in me so I could give a fuck about the Plains of Abrahams or whatever it's called thing.

It's not really the Seven Year war that is the issue though it's often brought up, the french started pissed about a lot of little things, and sadly the joint victories just aren't enough. De Gaulle being a freaking idiot had more impact on the issue followed by the FLQ, then the Seven year war or Louis Riel.

Auzzy
Well ... precisely. Not sure why it garners such a violent reaction from time-to-time... I remember during season 1 having "serious" supporters scream "not part of the culture!" at casual fans who attempted to start it... I guess context is everything.

You have to call it "la ola" if you want to be considered a proper oultra... :D

Eastend
1-1 final with MTL hitting the post with a bullet of a shot from outside the 18 in the 94th minute.

Good game.

Kaz
Game ended in a 1-1 tie. Best result possible. No one got 3 points.

flatpicker
03-17-2012, 03:35 PM
That shot off the post was a freakin rocket!

Yohan
03-17-2012, 04:05 PM
http://www.firstrowsports.eu/watch/113844/1/watch-san-jose-earthquakes-vs-houston-dynamo.html

Houston at San Jose

J .
03-17-2012, 04:09 PM
http://www.firstrowsports.eu/watch/113844/1/watch-san-jose-earthquakes-vs-houston-dynamo.html

Houston at San Jose

with mtl dropping points, heres to houston doing the same. :scarf:

Yohan
03-17-2012, 04:23 PM
1-0 Houston. Brad Davis penalty. Perfectly placed

Huyton
03-17-2012, 04:37 PM
According to Answers.com:
"The Wave" originated as a challenge between The Seattle Sounder fans and The Vancouver Whitecaps fans in 1975 at Memorial stadium in Seattle, during an NASL soccer game. "Bill the beer man" challenged the two sides of the stadium to out yell each other. As the two sides would rise to their feet and yell, "Go Sounders" or "Go Whitecaps," it would give the appearance of waves. As they added seating at the end of the field, it went in "the round", going all around the stadium in the form of the "Wave". When the Sounders moved into the King Dome, it was a tradition that anytime the Sounders had a free kick at the opponents end of the pitch, "Bill the beer man" and "Pete the peanut guy" would fire up the crowd. The Huskys at the U.W. adopted the wave as did all sports teams and hence it has become an American Tradition as well as an international phenomenon. I believe that you should give credit where credit is due. I was at that game and every other Sounders game from 1975 through 1980 as a spectator and a player.

ManUtd4ever
03-17-2012, 05:48 PM
Almost 110,000 supporters combined for Toronto and Montreal in their respective home debuts this season.

Football has truly arrived in Canada folks.

Yohan
03-17-2012, 05:49 PM
This Moreno guy can pass the ball.

Hainault getting abused a bit at RB. Lucky to be still on pitch as he could have been called for a last man foul.

And we have a Nathan Sturgis sighting

Yohan
03-17-2012, 06:08 PM
Final 1-0 Houston. 6 pts in 2 games for Houston on the road. 5 more road games for them. 1st in East?

Dub Narcotic
03-17-2012, 09:22 PM
[delete]

MrRobson
03-17-2012, 11:04 PM
Whitecaps playing a perfect road game so far.

up 1-0 on a header by jay demerit.

A.J
03-17-2012, 11:32 PM
And Whitecaps win their first MLS away game ever

MrRobson
03-17-2012, 11:34 PM
Whitecaps win 1-0, first road win in franchise history.

off to a 2-0 start.

Yohan
03-18-2012, 04:17 AM
one of best celebrations ever by Kai Kamara (he of terrible hairdo)

http://i.imgur.com/kRD5V.gif

tfcleeds
03-19-2012, 11:07 PM
Be sure to vote for Ryan Johnson in MLS Goal of the Week!

Yohan
03-19-2012, 11:14 PM
A lot of enjoyable matches this week