PDA

View Full Version : Soolsma Expectations

Doucet3
03-12-2012, 03:32 PM
Hey everyone was curious on what We expect of Nick, personally I think he and Johnson can be a great pair on the side, he's defiantly ahead of Lambe in the depth chart

Player. App(Start). Goals. Assist
Soolsma - 20(6). 2-4. 5-6

Realistic?

cochrdoc
03-12-2012, 03:46 PM
Those are no doubt stats that scare the shit out of defences.My only expectations is that Lambe turns out to be better or else he is a bust .I like Johnson alot better then our other wingers and wish we could pick-up a really explosive guy who can get behind defences and get the ball to Koev and score 8-10 goals.Remember we did not score many goals last year.Our goals against and goals for were near the the league`s worst.I do think he does get crosses in and seems to more accrate then most of the other players.Our wingers really get knocked off the ball

Ultra & Proud
03-12-2012, 03:59 PM
I expect brilliance. Sheer brilliance.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-12-2012, 03:59 PM
dont think Lambe has had a chance yet, think he will be better than Soolsma, i expect the same from him this year as what we saw last year, slow and steady and decent off the bench. I like him for what he is.

MartinUtd
03-12-2012, 05:01 PM
I like Soolsma. He's not afraid to take a shot and seems to have the ball glued to his foot.. we don't see many who can dribble in tight spaced like he does. Not sure what kinds of numbers he'll put up but I'm liking our depth out wide.

starter
03-12-2012, 05:22 PM
Expect him to be a solid contributor, and fight for starting position. He should continue to provide good service into the box, and perhaps chip a few in.

TOBOR !
03-12-2012, 06:16 PM
I hope we do one of these for everyone.

My expectations are the same for each player on the team : to not suck.

This thought requires no analysis or further discussion.

prizby
03-12-2012, 06:41 PM
based on pre-season performances, he should have more assists than David Beckham

nuff said!

Suppper Sooooolsssma

Yohan
03-12-2012, 08:08 PM
about two goals, 4 assists based upon occasional start and coming off the bench

ensco
03-12-2012, 08:29 PM
I expect him to look like he's wearing skates on grass, and make two or three nifty passes a game.

NBS
03-12-2012, 08:45 PM
Hey everyone was curious on what We expect of Nick, personally I think he and Johnson can be a great pair on the side, he's defiantly ahead of Lambe in the depth chart

Player. App(Start). Goals. Assist
Soolsma - 20(6). 2-4. 5-6

Realistic?

Solid depth and occasional starter type player. I don't know what that means in terms of numbers, but I know what it looks like when I see it.

Derko
03-12-2012, 09:41 PM
I think Nick looks slower than he really is, but is able to muscle his way up the sidelines, Poor littlwe Plata and Lambe sometimes just get elbowed off the ball by big defenders, I think Nick will be anasset to TFC.

T-boy
03-12-2012, 10:00 PM
Wow some people are really against Lambe, but we've only seen him play one sub appearance?!

Soolsma is a good rotation player on the wing, and he will be effective at times. He's slower than the average singer, so we play a different game when he is on the field.

I'm assuming Winter wants two pacy wingers, hence signing Lambe to go along with Plata. So we are more likely to see the two faster players as first choice, I would think.

CSO_BBTB
03-13-2012, 05:13 AM
Knows how to deliver the low crosses to the near post that Koevermans thrives on. More important than many seem to think based on that, but definitely good to have options because he is slower than a week in jail.

RedRum
03-13-2012, 05:29 AM
At the beginning of last year I thought he was a poor signing. By the mid-point of the season I think it dawned on him that it doesn't take a Ronaldo or Messi to beat most MLS defenders and he became effective. Glad he is with us. Not sure what his fitness level is at but I could see him doing special in LA.

West220Side
03-13-2012, 07:28 AM
2 Goals, and 5 Assists. All being knocked in by Koevermans.

I think Lambe will take some time to adjust. Obviously he hasn't shown much so far. (Though only pre-season and one CONCACAF game)

Funny. I'm sure we all remember Soolsmas awful start in Vancouver? ;)

Mark TFC
03-13-2012, 07:30 AM
One Billion Goals!

__wowza
03-13-2012, 07:51 AM
I do think he does get crosses in and seems to more accrate then most of the other players.Our wingers really get knocked off the ball

i was saying it last year when everyone was comparing him to plata in terms of speed. i posted that his stats in terms of games started were comparable with plata but it was written off.

i've said this before so i'll say it here, plata has speed, but he cuts inside too often to blast a shot on goal because hes the only one up field. this is going to become a predictable attack and can be easily solved by marking him with someone fast enough to cover him. any team that can do that mutes him for an entire game, and it's happened before.

soolsma is more of danny k's speed, he's not the fastest guy out there but he always manages to get the ball up the pitch and a cross in the box. he's the soccer equivalent of a grinder, i expect 5-6 goals and a whole whack of assists.

T-boy
03-13-2012, 09:10 AM
2 Goals, and 5 Assists. All being knocked in by Koevermans.

I think Lambe will take some time to adjust. Obviously he hasn't shown much so far. (Though only pre-season and one CONCACAF game)

Funny. I'm sure we all remember Soolsmas awful start in Vancouver? ;)

We all have to remember that we cannot judge any player on one or two early season performances.

Just remember Soolsma vs Martina after 3 games last season. Soolsma was awful, and Martina was our new hero. Soon things changes around and Soolsma was consistent and Martina disappeared when the going got tough!

I've seen this so many times in football. I remember seeing a young Derek Lilley play for Oxford United a few years back - first few games he was utter tripe, didn't look like he knew how to eve run in a straight line - but after a month or so, he turned into a fantastic footballer. He then went to the Scottish Premier and scored a load of goals.

Lets not judge any of the new players...yet.

TFCwestcan
03-14-2012, 11:45 PM
That he might score in big games, ha ha

DichioTFC
03-14-2012, 11:58 PM
I expect brilliance. Sheer brilliance.

This expectation has been met :)

Yohan
03-15-2012, 12:15 AM
with this performance, Soolsma made a strong case to be starting RW

Mark TFC
03-15-2012, 12:19 AM
Always been a fan of Soolsma. His performance tonight further instills my confidence in him.

Yohan
03-15-2012, 12:21 AM
Always been a fan of Soolsma. His performance tonight further instills my confidence in him.
this performance should shut up the haters for a while

rocker
03-15-2012, 12:24 AM
Yeah, maybe they will back off for a week ;)
Ive always like him because of his superior ball control and decent crossing. But some people can't get over his relative lack of pace....which was not even an issue tonight

Mark TFC
03-15-2012, 12:36 AM
He was actually a handful for the LA defence to contain at several points throughout the match. Played a beautiful cross into the box for the first goal and scored on a quick, unmarked run for the second goal. He proved he has some good pace about him, no one reacted quickly enough to his run off of Johnson's assist.

J .
03-15-2012, 12:51 AM
Great game by Soolsma. Best as a red.

Dub Narcotic
03-15-2012, 02:44 AM
He looked a lot more athletic today than he did last year, with a better upper body and a bit more pace. I was surprised at how well he did.

Yohan
03-15-2012, 03:56 AM
i think 2nd best crosser in the team behind Frings

DoubleUp
03-15-2012, 04:06 AM
If theres one thing nick has its technical ability. Right foot, left foot doesnt matter.

denime
03-15-2012, 05:41 AM
He looked a lot more athletic today than he did last year, with a better upper body and a bit more pace. I was surprised at how well he did.

True,but let's not forget that he gave up professional soccer in Holland,started his own business and played in Beer League when he was picked up by TFC.

After 1 year in professional environment,practicing every day and playing competitive no wonder he plays better,no?

TFC/Everton
03-15-2012, 06:28 AM
^
Agreed. He looks much better than he did last year. He's still young, perhaps he could have a long career with TFC.

denime
03-15-2012, 06:40 AM
^
Agreed. He looks much better than he did last year. He's still young, perhaps he could have a long career with TFC.

Maybe we can get more boys from that Amsterdam Beer League. :drinking:

Carefree
03-15-2012, 08:16 AM
He was a beast last night. He still lacks pace over long distances but his football IQ is much improved from last year, as is his ball handling ability. Definite starter material for TFC.

ginkster88
03-15-2012, 08:31 AM
He is so calm with the ball, which is refreshing to see.

Not a lot of wasted touches either.

Gazza
03-15-2012, 08:38 AM
When things are stale, he seems to be the only one willing and able to create.

Hopefully Koevermans is healthy for the Seattle game and Johnson will round out the front three.

brad
03-15-2012, 08:44 AM
If theres one thing nick has its technical ability. Right foot, left foot doesnt matter.

He has great close control.

Ajax TFC
03-15-2012, 04:07 PM
his football IQ is much improved from last year, as is his ball handling ability.

I disagree. The one thing he had last year was a high football IQ.
I'm excited for a season of an in shape Nick Soolsma.

Yohan
03-15-2012, 04:14 PM
I disagree. The one thing he had last year was a high football IQ.
I'm excited for a season of an in shape Nick Soolsma.
and his technical ability. Soolsma is very comfortable with ball at feet

rocker
03-15-2012, 04:43 PM
sometimes it's like he has glue on his boots. He's had that ever since the first time he played for TFC. I would say his ability with the ball is way above average among MLS players. MLS was, and still is, populated by a lot of extremely athletic forwards and wingers who don't have great control of the ball particularly in close quarters. Although that's getting better as the quality of MLS increases.