PDA

View Full Version : TFC release Caicedo - Cann update

Pookie
03-11-2012, 09:51 AM
Just caught this, this morning (can you say this, this twice?)

Apologies if posted elsewhere.

Guess we are still looking for an answer, though I was talking with Adrian Cann at the Orlando airport last week and he indicates he is healthy and should be ready to go if called on in 2-3 weeks

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/03/09/toronto-fc-releases-caicedo

[NBF]
03-11-2012, 10:34 AM
In reality, in MLS this season, TFC is probably in the same hole it was in 2011 and probably slightly similar to the hole they were in 2008.

The competition in MLS has gotten stronger this season, the majority of the teams in the Eastern Conference that didn't make the playoffs last season signed an experienced Centre Back, either an experienced international player or a proven MLS player. The teams that did make the playoffs got stronger as well by signing mostly young midfielders and forwards who are experienced internationals or proven MLS players.

I dont think getting Adrian Cann back in time for the start of the MLS season will give TFC an advantage or even a reliable Centre Back, but maybe another healthy body for depth only. If TFC was to get Cann back it would still have to rely on Frings to play amongst the back four. Lately, I dont even know if we're playing with a 4-3-3 or a 5-2-3, its a mistery, but I cant say there will be goals scored in such a defensive formation of the 5-2-3.

Even if we get Cann back maybe the goals against and mistakes in the backline will go down with Harden out of the lineup, but it will still be a 5-2-3 and we will be heavily dependant on a 35 year old Frings with old legs:

--------------------------Frei------------------------
-----------Cann---------Frings-------Aceval----------
Eckersley--------------------------------------Morgan
---------------DeGuzman-----------------------------
------------------------------Silva-------------------
----Johnson----------------------------------Plata----
----------------------Koevermans---------------------

reggie
03-11-2012, 11:13 AM
whats the rush...its only been 6 yrs we have been looking for 2 solid cb...

Waggy
03-11-2012, 11:18 AM
Freaking groundhog day in here. When do we start counting down till the transfer window?

Edit: After 5 months the time on here is finally right again! Rattled me for a second

Auzzy
03-11-2012, 11:25 AM
Caicedo release was announced by the club a few days ago, and was already discussed here: http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=29859

(and here: http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=29894 -- don't ask.)

Mods, merge please... ;)

In case anyone missed it, we signed one good, experienced CB in Aceval. Looks solid, calm on the ball, seems quite capable of passing out of the back. Has the significant advantage of also being very good at left-footed freekicks.

The other options have been discussed in the off-season transfer thread.

To compare this team to 2011 or 2007 is really a joke, IMO.

Auzzy
03-11-2012, 11:29 AM
No need to get our shorts in a knot because we change the formation a bit from game to game. That's largely done in response to the formation & strengths of the opponent. That's just smart.

Last Wednesday, our 35-year-old with "old legs" was the best man on the pitch (IMO), vs. last year's champions. There are worse problems to have.

EDIT I'm not certain how well this team will do either. We shall see. There are a couple of guys like Logan Emory, Aaron Maund, Doneil Henry, and even Harden, who may be good enough, alongside Aceval, and Frings where needed against a strong attacking opponent. Perhaps they will sign another RCB -- they've cleared significant cap space, and international spots, with Bouchiba & Caicedo gone. Note also that Cann is a LCB, so cover for Aceval. I just think this late over-reaction, to news from a few days ago, is a bit funny.

Ajax TFC
03-11-2012, 11:35 AM
if we ever become desperate (which I don't think we will) we could always go:

Johnson - Koevermans - Plata
Silva - Avila
JDG
Morgan - Aceval - Frings - Eckersley
problem with that of course is that you're putting every solid player we have out at once, so if something happened to one we'd be screwed

jloome
03-11-2012, 11:35 AM
No need to get our shorts in a knot because we change the formation a bit from game to game. That's largely done in response to the formation & strengths of the opponent. That's just smart.

Last Wednesday, our 35-year-old with "old legs" was the best man on the pitch, vs. last year's champions. There are worse problems to have.

By MLS standards, I'm guessing Ecks--Cann--Aceval--Morgan would be a decent backline.

People hate on Ty Harden too much. I was his biggest critic last season, but he really turned it around in the last few weeks and has been quite dependable since. The bad backpass was his one major fuckup the other night.

Derko
03-11-2012, 03:17 PM
By MLS standards, I'm guessing Ecks--Cann--Aceval--Morgan would be a decent backline.

People hate on Ty Harden too much. I was his biggest critic last season, but he really turned it around in the last few weeks and has been quite dependable since. The bad backpass was his one major fuckup the other night.

Agreed, Harden did turn it around some what at the end of last season.
We will see how things develop.

[NBF]
03-12-2012, 08:06 AM
It drives me crazy thinking that Ty Harden is still on TFC's roster as a 1st team starter and the only reason I can think of why he's still on the team is because he is getting paid peanuts. I'll be pissed if he gets a nod on "the honourary wall".

Auzzy
03-12-2012, 08:23 AM
The East is looking pretty shambolic so far, as expected with lots of upheaval in a few teams, and some teams still just as bad as last year. Lots of bad results for the Eastern teams so far. Let's see where we end up!

TOBOR !
03-12-2012, 08:28 AM
whats the rush...its only been 6 yrs we have been looking for 2 solid cb...

steady on... we're a sixth-year expansion side.

Give the boys a chance to put something together.

jabbronies
03-12-2012, 08:30 AM

I still have a major hate on for Harden. I would say he plays about 60-75 minutes of decent football. But the other 25-30 minutes can be a shit show.

T-boy
03-12-2012, 09:37 AM
I still have a major hate on for Harden. I would say he plays about 60-75 minutes of decent football. But the other 25-30 minutes can be a shit show.

I don't understand the hate for Harden anymore. I'm not his biggest fan, and he was admitedly awful at the start of last season - but he really turned his game around last season and by the end, he was one of TFC's most consistent players! I certainly wouldn't hate to see him as the season starting RCB.

TFC/Everton
03-12-2012, 09:46 AM
I don't understand the hate for Harden anymore. I'm not his biggest fan, and he was admitedly awful at the start of last season - but he really turned his game around last season and by the end, he was one of TFC's most consistent players! I certainly wouldn't hate to see him as the season starting RCB.

Harden is ok, nothing special. Cann needs to step up in the starting role. No room for error.

starter
03-12-2012, 09:59 AM
Harden is OK without the ball, but has no confidence with the ball, which is a serious liability building from the back.

Derko
03-12-2012, 10:00 AM
^
I agree that Cann has to drastically step-up, the one thing I didn't like about Cann was he always seemed to TRY and do little tricks with the ball in space at the back when moving forward in our half, maybe it was just me that noticed it.
Adrian Cann, can (not Can-Can) be a defensive beast when he is fit, so I hope he will be and Harden can go back to the bench as depth, which is fair.

Canary10
03-12-2012, 10:01 AM
Cann is no better on the ball. When Frei rolled it out to him last year he looked like he had a live grenade at his feet.

Roogsy
03-12-2012, 10:08 AM
Cann is no better on the ball. When Frei rolled it out to him last year he looked like he had a live grenade at his feet.

Great guy...but I have been somewhat amused at the general desperation to get him back in the lineup. He won't be the saviour of our backline. Much like Nana...he worked well in a defensive setup under Preki but I have seen little to convince me under Winter he has the stuff to hold up against the counter-attack which the 4-3-3 is prone to.

Canary10
03-12-2012, 10:16 AM
^ He is a good tackler though. But yeah, I agree with you. Hopefully TFC are better at maintaining possession in the midfield this year and not as prone to counters. They should be watching closely what Swansea did yesterday. If we play like Swansea we'll be in good shape.

starter
03-12-2012, 10:18 AM
Agree that Cann will not push Frings out, which would make it challenging for us to control games.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-12-2012, 10:26 AM
Frings wont be leaving that position anyways so long as we revert to a 3-4-3 from our 4-3-3

starter
03-12-2012, 10:31 AM
Frings wont be leaving that position anyways so long as we revert to a 3-4-3 from our 4-3-3

Which is an issue the club recognized and tried to address with a pair of off-season signings.

Canuck82
03-12-2012, 10:40 AM
Maybe I am way off base on this one - but what about bringing Nana Attakora back? He is currently out of contract, declined offers in Europe as he wants to stay in the MLS. It is a domestic slot, and being out of contract I am assuming he would not have alot of bargaining power.

Auzzy
03-12-2012, 10:44 AM
Maybe I am way off base on this one - but what about bringing Nana Attakora back? He is currently out of contract, declined offers in Europe as he wants to stay in the MLS. It is a domestic slot, and being out of contract I am assuming he would not have alot of bargaining power.

http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=29859&page=51

Ossington Mental Youth
03-12-2012, 12:07 PM
Which is an issue the club recognized and tried to address with a pair of off-season signings.

what im suggesting is that he would be playing that position even if Caiceido had worked out

starter
03-12-2012, 12:34 PM
what im suggesting is that he would be playing that position even if Caiceido had worked out

I am not convinced it was the plan for 433, though I can see it in 343 and 523.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-12-2012, 12:52 PM
I am not convinced it was the plan for 433, though I can see it in 343 and 523.

the thing is the 4-3-3 coverts easily to the 3-4-3 and back.
If theres no need to convert back he plays up, if they do, he goes back.
Ideally we have 2 good cbs even if we convert back.