PDA

View Full Version : Vancouver vs. Montreal

RealG-TFC
03-10-2012, 12:38 PM
I know I can't be the only one on this board that is interested in this match.

I personally think Montreal is just going to try holding off an onslaught of attack after attack from Vancouver. I can definately see Vancouver comfortly wining this game.

I don't really know what result I desire though. If Vancouver wins, that would help us out in taking points away from a Conference rival. That being said, I think MTL is going to finish last or second last anyway and don't pose too much of a threat. Having them spoil VW's homeopener would be awesome.:D

It's a shame they can't both lose...

RealG-TFC
03-10-2012, 12:39 PM
At 6pm on TSN btw.

ag futbol
03-10-2012, 12:44 PM
I'm going to make a point of watching this one. There are some decent matchups today: KC-DCU, LA-RSL

Redcoe15
03-10-2012, 04:23 PM
I must watch this game tonight. Know your enemies!

TFC/Everton
03-10-2012, 04:36 PM
Actually looking forward to the match tonight.

LittleOzzy
03-10-2012, 05:42 PM
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=31048

Auzzy
03-10-2012, 05:44 PM
I subscribed to MLS Live. Sadly, Van-Montreal is blocked. I'm working on the workarounds -- no luck yet. (I don't have cable or satellite TV.) Perhaps there will be a good stream available.

Island Man
03-10-2012, 05:46 PM
http://www.firstrowsports.eu/watch/112571/1/watch-vancouver-vs-montreal.html

NBS
03-10-2012, 05:51 PM
Here's hoping for red cards and injuries (not career threatening, just enough to fuck 'em both over early in the standings).

TFC/Everton
03-10-2012, 06:00 PM
So Pumped!!!

Torontotonto
03-10-2012, 06:05 PM
For sure I'm watching.
MLS kickoff 2012.

Come on you REDS

:drum::flare::scarf::flare::drum:

Island Man
03-10-2012, 06:06 PM
Putting the hatred aside, I do want to see a good game of football!

flamehawk
Any idea if there's a good contingent of Montreal supporters at BC Place? Curious, haven't seen the camera pan to any Montreal supporters.

RealG-TFC
oh my god, hassli, le toux, chiumento and camilo...good luck ricketts

Gallade
03-10-2012, 06:09 PM
generally i'll root west > east, but i'm not cheering for vancouver unless i absolutely have to.

RealG-TFC
03-10-2012, 06:09 PM
haha "Je me souviens 2009" banner

tfcleeds
03-10-2012, 06:12 PM
Wow..Le Toux scores already, haha.

RealG-TFC
Le Toux scores pretty much right on cue with De Vos's commentary.

Island Man
Hahahaha brilliant

rocktml
03-10-2012, 06:15 PM
Vancouver using the just cant get enough chant

Yohan
03-10-2012, 06:16 PM
lovely run by Young Pyo Lee...

Roogsy
03-10-2012, 06:17 PM
Hassli & LeToux is a solid combo. They're going to score lots of goals.

Ratven
03-10-2012, 06:17 PM
Why are they using ALL our chants?

Island Man
03-10-2012, 06:18 PM
Going to be a loooong year for Impact

Yohan
03-10-2012, 06:19 PM
Going to be a loooong year for Impactesp with Jeb Brovsky as right back. eeesh

Yohan
03-10-2012, 06:20 PM
someone tell the announcers that it's Young Pyo Lee, not Why Pee Lee

RealG-TFC
03-10-2012, 06:25 PM
Actually it's Lee Young-Pyo

Pinkie
03-10-2012, 06:26 PM
Hassli & LeToux is a solid combo. They're going to score lots of goals.

i'm gonna go on a limb and say that the phrase "french connection" is going to be used too much if they do well lol.

also LOL montreal. you're going to lose so badly.

Auzzy
03-10-2012, 06:33 PM
http://www.firstrowsports.eu/watch/112571/1/watch-vancouver-vs-montreal.html

Thanks, that's a very nice stream. About as good as MLS Live (Colorado - Columbus) in the other window.

Yohan
03-10-2012, 06:34 PM
Actually it's Lee Young-Pyo
if you say it like Korean, yes. in western world, he is Young Pyo (given name) Lee (family name)

KGH
03-10-2012, 06:35 PM
Did I just hear a DD chant?

Redpunkfiddle
03-10-2012, 06:36 PM
Illegal Streamers. Ban the Southsiders.

KGH
03-10-2012, 06:38 PM
Illegal Streamers. Ban the Southsiders.

I thought mls was very strict on this. I would expect there to be something said. Guess they're just jealous of what we can do in CCL.

Auzzy
03-10-2012, 06:39 PM
Still hyping up the "Miracle in Montreal" where Montreal supposedly fielded a "much weakened lineup" vs Toronto. I can't remember the details, but I researched that in detail a few years ago. AFAIK, the vast majority of Montreal players that day vs Toronto, also played vs Vancouver in the USL final that season, and beat them.

Plus the crazy scheduling, that Vancouver had the night off, and was playing Montreal in a league game two days later, with playoff implications. It would not have made any sense for Montreal to field a 100% first-string lineup in a meaningless game.

iansmcl
03-10-2012, 06:39 PM
Did I just hear a DD chant?

My question exactly... anyone know?

ag futbol
03-10-2012, 06:42 PM
Still hyping up the "Miracle in Montreal" where Montreal supposedly fielded a "much weakened lineup" vs Toronto. I can't remember the details, but I researched that in detail a few years ago. AFAIK, the vast majority of Montreal players that day vs Toronto, also played vs Vancouver in the USL final that season, and beat them.
You know the real irony of it is: TFC lost one year with the tournament having similarly misaligned incentives. But that never gets mentioned, just what happened to Vancouver one year.

In either case, win your own damn games and control your destiny. Complaining about other teams play is fruitless

werewolf
03-10-2012, 06:45 PM
This match needs more Ali jer-bah.

Auzzy
03-10-2012, 06:46 PM
You know the real irony of it is: TFC lost one year with the tournament having similarly misaligned incentives. But that never gets mentioned, just what happened to Vancouver one year.

In either case, win your own damn games and control your destiny. Complaining about other teams play is fruitless

^ Amen.

Wow, possession really evened out. Was over 60% for Vancouver earlier in the half. Now only about 54% Vancouver.

Auzzy
03-10-2012, 06:49 PM
I really think bringing the roof down in BC Place to make it look smaller, and improve the acoustics for the size of the crowd, is a good idea.

EDIT I should say, bringing those panels down, not the actual roof.

Yohan
03-10-2012, 06:55 PM
holy fuck what a pass by Bernier...

Auzzy
03-10-2012, 07:02 PM
Just watched the replay. Poor job by Rickets on the goal. Didn't come out far enough, and his angle was way off. Way too close to the near post. With the big touch that Le Toux first made, Rickets could have closed down much better.

ag futbol
03-10-2012, 07:08 PM
^ That's kind of how it struck me as well. Either come out or don't.

I think Montreal is doing alright but they look like lightweights up front and clearly Vancouver is the better team.

glaze
03-10-2012, 07:08 PM
stadium looks good on tv. doesn't feel like they are playing in a huge dome.

A.J
03-10-2012, 07:19 PM
wow, that was a pretty good goal

Yohan
03-10-2012, 07:20 PM
and Camilo goes all Brazilian on Montreal. 2-0 Vancouver

Island Man
03-10-2012, 07:20 PM
Very good goal, Montreal look awful at the back

Daveisonfire
03-10-2012, 07:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar0bmGshhTs

sully
03-10-2012, 07:24 PM
Terrible miss from Nyassi.

tfcleeds
03-10-2012, 07:33 PM
Vancouver's going to be a scary team this year - not to mention they'll be getting Barry Robson in July.

Island Man
03-10-2012, 07:34 PM
Vancouver's going to be a scary team this year - not to mention they'll be getting Barry Robson in July.

Their defence still look hit and miss.

RealG-TFC
03-10-2012, 07:36 PM
Not liking Nyassi's decision making for mtl.

Yohan
03-10-2012, 07:39 PM
lol@ Bell Pitch at BC Place

DoubleUp
03-10-2012, 07:41 PM
]Vancouver's going to be a scary team this year[/B] - not to mention they'll be getting Barry Robson in July.

I agree vancouver is going to be a problem this year.

Yohan
03-10-2012, 07:42 PM
biggest difference that I see in Vancouver from last year's team is how comfortable they are with ball at feet

Lennon
03-10-2012, 07:44 PM
haha "Je me souviens 2009" banner

Which one of you put the up? lol ..

Roogsy
03-10-2012, 07:57 PM
If I hear DeVos say "there's work to be done" one more time...

sully
03-10-2012, 08:01 PM
In the other game Columbus beaten...very nice.

rocker
03-10-2012, 08:32 PM
Montreal looked more organized than I expected but their offense is non-existent. Nyassi is no solution. Everything was dying up front.

Vancouver looked good, although they should have done more to this expansion team.

Ajax TFC
03-10-2012, 08:36 PM
how did Vancouver's central midfield look? 'Cause if they don't have that then that's how you shut down their attack. If you shut down the central midfield, they'll have to resort to direct balls from the defense or they have to go wide (which is also pretty strong though). Also, don't take too much from this game. for one, they were playing an expansion side in their home opener (remember when we beat Portland in our HO?). Also remember when they beat us (pretty much the equivalent of an expansion side or worse at the time) 4-2 in their home opener? Yeah, remember how their season went from there?
I'm not saying Vancouver will be bad again this year, just don't make your predictions off a HO vs an expansion side

Yohan
03-10-2012, 08:41 PM
how did Vancouver's central midfield look? 'Cause if they don't have that then that's how you shut down their attack. If you shut down the central midfield, they'll have to resort to direct balls from the defense or they have to go wide (which is also pretty strong though). Also, don't take too much from this game. for one, they were playing an expansion side in their home opener (remember when we beat Portland in our HO?). Also remember when they beat us (pretty much the equivalent of an expansion side or worse at the time) 4-2 in their home opener? Yeah, remember how their season went from there?
I'm not saying Vancouver will be bad again this year, just don't make your predictions off a HO vs an expansion side
Vancouver lined up 4-2-3-1 with 2 DMs (Koffie, Davidson) and 3 AMs (Camilo, Le Toux, Chiumiento)

worked out well enough for them with Le Toux and even Hassli coming back deep to act as link man

Blowing Bubbles
03-10-2012, 09:00 PM
I don't think Vancouver is going to get punished by many teams playing 4 attacking players b/c the vast majority of MLS is coached by tactical muppets who adhere to whitebread British 442 football.

I think the few teams that line up in a 433 could overrun them in the middle of the park though.

Their defense is fine if nobody gets hurt - Lee is a top quality RB and DeMerritt and Rochat are both solid. But of course those guys are old and/or injury prone

boban
03-10-2012, 09:17 PM
Because it just shows you the regurgitation of all football chants in the English world.

PopePouri
03-10-2012, 10:11 PM
Their defense is fine if nobody gets hurt - Lee is a top quality RB and DeMerritt and Rochat are both solid. But of course those guys are old and/or injury prone

Really? They were exposed a number of times at the back against a shitty Montreal offense. I want to see them against a non-expansion team.

PAOK17
03-11-2012, 02:40 PM
Because it just shows you the regurgitation of all football chants in the English world.

This is so true. I find that many English chants in general, not just in North America, are the same chant for every team except for the obvious minor changes when team names come-up.

I can only speak for Greece since I both follow the league and speak the language to understand, that even if a chant has the same song/rhythm/melody with another team's, the lyrics are completely unique and relate to specifics of the team in question.

We can accuse Vancouver for taking "our" idea of using I just can't get enough, but didn't we take it from Celtic? That's why I prefer a lot of our more original ones like "You're in our hearts" or "Marching on to Victory." Even if they aren't original you still have personal touches such as mentioning Lakeshore.

james
03-11-2012, 08:36 PM

makes me laugh when people say teams like columbus or Vancouver are singing "ARE" chants. Most of are chants we took from teams in England or other places in Europe. And most those songs are sung by many other teams as well... just example is YNWA famously from Liverpool fans (others argue what team it first originated from). They also sing YNWA by teams like Dortmund, Celtic, St.Pauli, FC Tokyo and probably others...and that not even as bad as some chants in England that are sung by just about every single team in England, just like theres a few songs in MLS that just about every team uses. We may have made a few little changes in some songs, might even have the odd song we did make ours , im not sure, but most likely at least 98% of "ARE" songs came from another club.

Redpunkfiddle
03-11-2012, 08:43 PM
makes me laugh when people say teams like columbus or Vancouver are singing "ARE" chants. Most of are chants we took from teams in England or other places in Europe. And most those songs are sung by many other teams as well... just example is YNWA famously from Liverpool fans (others argue what team it first originated from). They also sing that song by teams like Dortmund, Celtic, St.Pauli, FC Tokyo...and that not even as bad as some chants say in England that are sung by just about every single team in England, just like theres a few songs in MLS that just about every team uses. We may have made a few little changes in some songs, might even have the odd song we did make ours , im not even sure, but 98% of "are" songs came from another club.

Yes, like I have been singing (mostly to myself, but hoping for a breakthrough when we go deep in CCL) Toronto FC, The Greatest Team the World Has Ever Seen.

As sung famously in Cardiff.

james
03-11-2012, 08:59 PM
Yes, like I have been singing (mostly to myself, but hoping for a breakthrough when we go deep in CCL) Toronto FC, The Greatest Team the World Has Ever Seen.

As sung famously in Cardiff.

ya exactly, must here that song at about half the clubs in England, what was the team fans that first ever sung that song....who knows, every team fans these days claim that they were the first to ever sing it, at this point i don't care anymore more! :D

shwade
03-11-2012, 09:41 PM
makes me laugh when people say teams like columbus or Vancouver are singing "ARE" chants. Most of are chants we took from teams in England or other places in Europe. And most those songs are sung by many other teams as well... just example is YNWA famously from Liverpool fans (others argue what team it first originated from). They also sing YNWA by teams like Dortmund, Celtic, St.Pauli, FC Tokyo and probably others...and that not even as bad as some chants in England that are sung by just about every single team in England, just like theres a few songs in MLS that just about every team uses. We may have made a few little changes in some songs, might even have the odd song we did make ours , im not sure, but most likely at least 98% of "ARE" songs came from another club.

ARE ftw

Roogsy
03-11-2012, 10:19 PM
ARE ftw

:lol:

Shakes McQueen
03-11-2012, 10:24 PM
ARE ftw

Oh man, it took me like five solid minutes of looking at his post, trying to figure out what "ARE" was - I assumed it was some sort of acronym for a team, or something.

Only after contemplating for a while did it dawn on me that it was just the best grammatical failure in modern history, haha.

ARE ftw, indeed.

- Scott

Brooker
03-12-2012, 04:46 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar0bmGshhTs

good song.

whyalwaysme11
03-13-2012, 10:09 AM
i think tsn2 set a viewing record on this game

Fort York Redcoat
03-13-2012, 10:20 AM

MLS is the best league in the world because we can regurgitate futbol chants from all over the world, not just England.

Carts
03-13-2012, 10:23 AM
i think tsn2 set a viewing record on this game

Yes - but not TSN2...

Game was on TSN and RDS in french...

Combined, they had 541,000...

Canadian Sports Media Blog
Monday, March 12, 2012
MLS Sets Canadian Ratings Record

The opening MLS game of the 2012 season set a new ratings record in Canada. The Vancouver Whitecaps vs. Montreal Impact game on Saturday night drew an average of 541,000 viewers (288, 000 on TSN and 253,000 on RDS). If anything, this is a testament to the anticipation of the new team in Quebec. I am interested to see if the stronger ratings can hold throughout the season. Last year’s MLS season opener between the Whitecaps and Toronto FC previously the highest watched MLS game in Canada. An average of 289,000 watched it on TSN.

__wowza
03-13-2012, 10:27 AM
makes me laugh when people say teams like columbus or Vancouver are singing "ARE" chants. Most of are chants we took from teams in England or other places in Europe.

here's an idea. why don't we take every chant we have and put "FC" in it like our friends at section 8 have done :D