PDA

View Full Version : Edu isn't that bad

jloome
07-10-2008, 11:46 PM
Lots of people climbing on Maurice Edu because he isn't having the same kind of season as last year, but he still scored one of our goals the other night and leads the team in assists.

noochie
07-10-2008, 11:48 PM
He certainly is not the total liability that he is made out to be. Half a season is hardly enough to write the guy off. He is gonna be a good player, he needs some time to mature and learn.

<sarcasm>50% team passing</sarcasm> is just that... a team effort ;)

CretanBull
07-10-2008, 11:51 PM
He isn't that bad, but he clearly should be better. He had a good year last season, with a year's experience under his belt and better teammates to play with more is expected of him. I'm confident that he'll bounce back....in time.

Roogsy
07-10-2008, 11:55 PM
Sophomore jinx I think. I find he may have regressed a little, but no, I wouldn't call him shit.

One thing though...his defending has been solid (for the most part, that goal against Vancouver was brutal) but his offence has taken a step back. His aggresiveness in taking shots is tentative and when he does shoot, it's pretty weak and inaccurate.

There are some fundamental issues with his game that I have problems with...but if he can overcome them...I think he is a star. He has the talent for it, that's for sure.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-11-2008, 12:01 AM
one of the issues is the fact hes now surrounded by players of a higher quality with great sets of skills as a result what worked last year now has to be upped. He will get it and it will take a while. Hes still young by MLS standards and i think alot of people have been riding him too hard.

Detroit_TFC
07-11-2008, 07:20 AM
He's got the skills, but his focus and motivation is very poor and we are seeing that expressed as weak play. I am alarmed by the gap between his MNT performance and his recent form for TFC.

Shaughno
07-11-2008, 07:33 AM
I honestly think it's the jump in talent. He's no longer looked at to be the creative player through the middle so he's not getting the same involvement as last year. He's playing mediocre for the majority but it's really just the little things that are letting him down. The last refinements on his touch, shot and decision making will change his game completely and I think in a year or two you'll see a much more complete player.

Steve
07-11-2008, 07:46 AM
Lots of people climbing on Maurice Edu because he isn't having the same kind of season as last year, but he still scored one of our goals the other night and leads the team in assists.

The most frustrating thing about Edu is that he is obviously skilled, but decided to stop learning. Last year he was learning, he played like he had something to learn, and so played VERY solidy. This year it's in his head that he is great, so he plays like a player who no longer needs to learn anything about the game. It results in a lot of poor choices because he no longer has an accurate self-assessment of his abilities. He makes passes he shouldn't, dribbles he shouldn't, etc. If Edu could recapture that drive to learn and improve he had last year, he would be a star for us. Without that, he is a frustratingly mediocre player (watching someone with talent flub things is much more difficult than watching someone with mediocre abilities play their hearts out).

Mango Kid
07-11-2008, 07:50 AM
He just doesn't play as assertively as last year and there are games where it feels like he's not done a thing.

That said, screwing up a simple header in that spot on Wednesday was the stuff of a rookie, not a guy who was rookie of the year and a U.S. national teamer.

I'm not ready to declare him Andy Welsh II, but he's not visibly improved from last year, and the talk of him going to the EPL seems laughable now.

T_Mizz
07-11-2008, 08:19 AM
Yes hopefully he can be a contributing player on this team but not a superstar that way he'll stay with us and not go to europe.
I think last year he excelled as a great player on a crappy team but now that the team is great he's lost because he doesn't have to DeGuzman any more

billybremner
07-11-2008, 08:24 AM
what is he, 22?? ... most people on this board are crying out for young players with talent instead of the over-the-hill guys we are hear about all the time. You have one in Edu and some still aren't happy. He looked great last season because of who lined up next to him but now he is one now just one of several talented midfielders we have. Give him time. I hope he's here for a long time.

Up the reds!

Flipityflu
07-11-2008, 08:34 AM
i can agree with this. i think the changes in midfield and tactics make Edu not look as prominant as he did last season. still very happy to see him in the lineup

that heading back pass attempt was horrible though lol.

Damien
07-11-2008, 09:10 AM
Nope, not bad. Just young.

nimamalek
07-11-2008, 09:45 AM
The most frustrating thing about Edu is that he is obviously skilled, but decided to stop learning. Last year he was learning, he played like he had something to learn, and so played VERY solidy. This year it's in his head that he is great, so he plays like a player who no longer needs to learn anything about the game. It results in a lot of poor choices because he no longer has an accurate self-assessment of his abilities. He makes passes he shouldn't, dribbles he shouldn't, etc. If Edu could recapture that drive to learn and improve he had last year, he would be a star for us. Without that, he is a frustratingly mediocre player (watching someone with talent flub things is much more difficult than watching someone with mediocre abilities play their hearts out).

thanks coach Carver, i'm sure the months you've spent on the training grounds with him has entitled you to make this sort of character judgement on him... or maybe he's just having a bad couple of games since I havent heard anything negative about his work ethic and Carver seems to play the guy even after we think he's had a bad game.

Flipityflu
07-11-2008, 10:02 AM
well, the thing i have noticed was that when he wasn't in the lineup, we were brutal defending in the midfield