PDA

View Full Version : TFC @ LA CCL leg 2 prematch thread

Oldtimer
03-08-2012, 12:37 PM
TFC advances with a win, a 3-3 or higher draw, or a 2-2 draw on penalties. Their work is cut out for them against a superior Galaxy squad. JDG and Soolsma will be back. I've learned never to count TFC out in these situations, though.

TFC07
03-08-2012, 12:41 PM
Same situation we face against Dallas last year, but this time team is actually better. (I highly doubt this game will end with high scoring draw).

Key to this game is controlling Beckham. Don't give him time to set up and deliver service to forwards. Also not to give LAG any chances to set plays in our half.

Our defending needs to be better. But we still have a chance. It will be interesting to see how LAG field their team for this match since they have a game against RSL on this weekend.

Red Rat
03-08-2012, 12:45 PM
time to make a call to Shoeless, lets get together for this one

gomesv
03-08-2012, 12:49 PM
TFC advances with a win, a 3-3 or higher draw, or a 2-2 draw on penalties. Their work is cut out for them against a superior Galaxy squad. JDG and Soolsma will be back. I've learned never to count TFC out in these situations, though.

Or.....just a win... by any score

:scarf::flare::drum:

Yohan
03-08-2012, 12:55 PM
I expect better game from Koevermans. He's got a good disliking of Saunders now, and he will be a bit more motivated

Shway
03-08-2012, 01:15 PM
we have face LA's best team, they havent faced ours.

I would hope De Guzman comes on for Harden.

cdizzle
03-08-2012, 01:16 PM
win and were in, cant say its not in our hands

Yohan
03-08-2012, 01:18 PM
we have face LA's best team, they havent faced ours.

I would hope De Guzman comes on for Harden.
the grass pitch should help. lol

Shway
03-08-2012, 01:19 PM
-----------Kocic---------------
Ecks - Frings- Miguel-Morgan
----De Guzman--Dunfield----
Plata-----Silva-------Johnson
---------Koevs----------------

JonO
03-08-2012, 01:19 PM
De Guz should be on for Dunfield. Not sure what we can do about Harden just yet if nobody else is fit...

king dave
03-08-2012, 01:21 PM
1 question?
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3411/5697660945_ec881e9a24_b.jpg
KD.

Oldtimer
03-08-2012, 01:31 PM
-----------Kocic---------------
Ecks - Frings- Miguel-Morgan
----De Guzman--Dunfield----
Plata-----Silva-------Johnson
---------Koevs----------------

I agree with putting in Kocic. For one, he commands his box better. For two, if the game ends in a 2-2 draw, it will go to penalties, and Frei has never stopped a pk for us.

ryan
03-08-2012, 01:33 PM

Wouldn't a 2-2 draw go to a 30 min xtra time before penalties?

I'm quite excited for this, I think we have a bigger shot than some believe. Koevermans will want to bury one to get back at Saunders. Frings and Keane seemed to have words a few times last night, I'm wondering what that was about or if it's just my imagination...if it was real, what it could become.

I think JDG can have a large impact, the kind of impact he should have on our club. If he can boss the mid a bit, spray some balls around to RJ9, Plata or even Ecks and Morgan down the wings...I think we could get the goals we need.

Might need a bit more balance in officiating though, doubting we get that though.

Yohan
03-08-2012, 01:37 PM
I think JDG can have a large impact, the kind of impact he should have on our club. If he can boss the mid a bit, spray some balls around to RJ9, Plata or even Ecks and Morgan down the wings...I think we could get the goals we need.

I don't rate JDG's passing ability that high... though better than Dunfield's

MartinUtd
03-08-2012, 01:41 PM
I read on the LARS board that the away goals rule is such that away goals are only counted in the 2nd leg. Can anyone confirm this? If so, a 1-1 draw is a desirable result for us.

RealG-TFC
03-08-2012, 01:42 PM
I also like the idea of Soolsma possibly coming off the bench instead of Lambe.

JonO
03-08-2012, 01:49 PM
Actually - if Plata only has about 60 minutes in him, I like the idea of starting Soolsman and having Plata come of the bench in the 2nd half to have a run at some tired legs. Especially since the Galaxy have a game this weekend...

TOBOR !
03-08-2012, 02:02 PM
I read on the LARS board that the away goals rule is such that away goals are only counted in the 2nd leg. Can anyone confirm this? If so, a 1-1 draw is a desirable result for us.

No. Away goals are only 'tallied' after the 2nd leg.

You don't 'count' them after the first leg. You don't say that LA has the lead in this contest because they have two away goals - they may end up being meaningless.

So, first leg ends 2-2, second leg ends 1-1. It's a tie. Now add up the away goals (2 for LA, 1 for Toronto). LA wins on Away goals.

If the second leg ends 1-0 to Toronto or a win by LA then Away goals are moot, so they aren't counted.

make sense ?

denime
03-08-2012, 02:13 PM
No. Away goals are only 'tallied' after the 2nd leg.

You don't 'count' them after the first leg. You don't say that LA has the lead in this contest because they have two away goals - they may end up being meaningless.

So, first leg ends 2-2, second leg ends 1-1. It's a tie. Now add up the away goals (2 for LA, 1 for Toronto). LA wins on Away goals.

If the second leg ends 1-0 to Toronto or a win by LA then Away goals are moot, so they aren't counted.

make sense ?

Yes, and

BTW

WE WILL WIN IN LA !!

Gallade
03-08-2012, 03:06 PM
i'm not that optimistic, but the impact of switching Dunfield for JDG is not negligible. that would be helpful against any MLS team, but it's huge against someone like LA with all the firepower they have.

i'd start both Frings and JDG in the midfield (triangle, Frings doing a sweeper-esque role in front of the back four, feeding JDG and Silva) because we need forward movement and goals. this is where we need our best passing, and it plays into the 'total football' idea because when the LB/RB decide to make runs or play up for a bit, Frings can back up if he needs to do so and we can 3-4-3. it's a very seamless morph between 4-3-3 and 3-4-3 based on the run of play and the actions of the LB/RB; Frings will be in position to dictate it and the CBs don't have to think too much. =)

the most obvious alternatives i see are:
1) JDG plays the bottom of the triangle instead. i don't think he's anywhere near as good at being able to make those decisions about shifting between 3-4-3 and 4-3-3 as the match goes, and they'll be a lot of them. i like him a bit farther forward with a more even blend between defensive and offensive responsibility (and we'll live with the one shot he takes thirty feet over the crossbar)
2) triangle points up instead of down, with only Silva at the head. you can justify this if we're up late, but not when we need to score goals.

i think we've got a chance. and hey, look what happened last time we had a must-win CCL road game in front of a small crowd!

drewski
03-08-2012, 03:25 PM
Will the Home Depot Centre capped at 7500 on school nights, its gonna be a different show. Let's just hope none of them get the idea of throwing a can at one of our guys as revenge.

TFC07
03-08-2012, 03:31 PM
Will the Home Depot Centre capped at 7500 on school nights, its gonna be a different show. Let's just hope none of them get the idea of throwing a can at one of our guys as revenge.

I hear LAG are having a hard time selling 7500 tickets. lol

So chances of that happening is slim.

Waggy
03-08-2012, 03:43 PM
ANYTHING IS POSSIIBBBBBLLLLLLEEEEE!!!

3-2 final, 3rd goal scored in the 85th. By Silva. You heard it here first.

__wowza
03-08-2012, 03:47 PM
I hear LAG are having a hard time selling 7500 tickets. lol

So chances of that happening is slim.

when i hear stories of LA failing to sell out games with the star caliber they have, i often think of what would happen with other teams in the league being afforded the same luxury. imagine us/portland/seattle had a beckham or keane?

Carts
03-08-2012, 04:14 PM
Actually - if Plata only has about 60 minutes in him, I like the idea of starting Soolsman and having Plata come of the bench in the 2nd half to have a run at some tired legs. Especially since the Galaxy have a game this weekend...

I like that strategy - especially if LA wants to sit back and the game moves along at 0-0 for an extended run at the start...

Bring in the little man fresh and have him run at defenders just like you said...

JDG will help the lineup. His athleticism, quickness, and experience with CONCACAF officials are all positives that we didn't have last night...

I wouldn't mind Donovan, Keane and Beckham to pick up a few knocks on the weekend as well - couldn't hurt if they're battered and beaten from the match on Saturday...

TOBOR !
03-08-2012, 04:17 PM
ANYTHING IS POSSIIBBBBBLLLLLLEEEEE!!!

3-2 final, 3rd goal scored in the 85th. By Silva. You heard it here first.

I'll wait to hear what Dv23 has to say about that.

Something I don't get is this 7500 cap at HDC. I understand why they have reduced parking, but why can't they make other arrangements and shuttle fans to the game ?

Not worth it ? make a deal with the city and use public lots somewhere or something... or even just tell people to find their own way there, but there's nowhere to park.

Auzzy
03-08-2012, 04:31 PM

Something I don't get is this 7500 cap at HDC. I understand why they have reduced parking, but why can't they make other arrangements and shuttle fans to the game ?

Not worth it ? make a deal with the city and use public lots somewhere or something... or even just tell people to find their own way there, but there's nowhere to park.

Someone mentioned they made a special deal for a mid-week playoff game, against New York I believed, that let them bump up the attendance a bit higher.

If they're having trouble selling the 7500 for this CCL game though, then it's definitely not worth the hassle for them.

flatpicker
03-08-2012, 04:36 PM
Gonna have to go for the win in this one.
It'll be tough, but not impossible.
Hopefully JDG will provide a little extra something in the match.
I'm sure all of our anxiety levels will be elevated on this night.

tfc2008
03-08-2012, 05:20 PM
Too bad we can only have 7,500 fans at the game next week. Nothing says MLS Cup, Supporters Shield and CCL quarterfinals with Beckham, Donovan, Keane like having a college tell you how many tickets you can sell. I guess Torontos sales team is just that much better given that there were 47,000 fans at the game tonight and next week isn't even sold out for LA

message from la

Oldtimer
03-08-2012, 05:28 PM
Wouldn't a 2-2 draw go to a 30 min xtra time before penalties?

Yes, it goes to extra time first. I was writing of the final score. If someone scores during extra time, it's no longer a 2-2 draw. (insert captain obvious gif here)
If it's a 2-2 draw at the end, it goes to penalties.

This is JDG's chance to prove he's worth all those big bucks when uninjured and properly used by a possession-based team playing 4-3-3. This is his shot.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
03-08-2012, 05:35 PM
It's LA not Barca......no reason we cant get a result!

Oldtimer
03-08-2012, 05:37 PM
Too bad we can only have 7,500 fans at the game next week. Nothing says MLS Cup, Supporters Shield and CCL quarterfinals with Beckham, Donovan, Keane like having a college tell you how many tickets you can sell. I guess Torontos sales team is just that much better given that there were 47,000 fans at the game tonight and next week isn't even sold out for LA

It's more a factor that driving in LA is very difficult on week-nights. Why put yourself through it when you don't even understand the idea of competitions outside of traditional league play?

Dv23
03-08-2012, 11:30 PM

When I have my dream next Wednesday night, you'll be the first to know.

Auzzy
03-08-2012, 11:46 PM
What's pretty funny: so many comments on the MLS website, and on Facebook, that it's an outrage that LA can only have 7500 attendance at next week's game. People are saying, they should make a deal with university; or shuttle-bus people in from other parking lots; or switch the game to some other gigantic stadium in the area -- and so on. Folks in the US getting their nose out of joint I guess, to see so many people at the game in Toronto.

Never mind the fact that LA is apparently having trouble selling the 7500 tickets, even after offering them for free to season ticket holders?!

prizby
03-09-2012, 12:07 AM

if its 2-2 after 90, but in extra time each team scores once, still goes to penalty

PAOK17
03-09-2012, 04:28 AM
if its 2-2 after 90, but in extra time each team scores once, still goes to penalty

Away goals still count in ET...or at least in traditionally (i.e. UEFA). Unless CONCACAF decided to change the rules, then away goals still count in ET. Therefore if one goal is scored in ET, the option of penalties is automatically eliminated.

This makes sense as the home team gets the benefit of playing an extra 30 mins at home.

Oldtimer
03-09-2012, 07:53 AM
Away goals still count in ET...or at least in traditionally (i.e. UEFA). Unless CONCACAF decided to change the rules, then away goals still count in ET. Therefore if one goal is scored in ET, the option of penalties is automatically eliminated.

This makes sense as the home team gets the benefit of playing an extra 30 mins at home.

CONCACAF rules are a little different than UEFA. After a game goes into extra time, away goals no longer count. So a 3-3 draw in extra time still goes to penalties, so I guess that is a possibility, as well. 2-2 in regulation, with 3-3, 4-4, etc. in extra time, with penalties.

This is getting pretty unusual, though. Let's just hope for an outright win, or 3-3 or higher in regulation time. LA would likely win any penalty shootout, particularly if Frei is in the net.

__wowza
03-09-2012, 09:04 AM

eagerly awaiting your psychic prediction..

http://winkcreative.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/miss-cleo.jpg

maninb
03-09-2012, 09:28 AM
De Guz should be on for Dunfield. Not sure what we can do about Harden just yet if nobody else is fit...

Exactly...Dunfield offers NOTHING offensively or defensively...he's a decent late game sub who can run around and pressure tired players...

JavierMartini
03-09-2012, 10:37 AM
too bad the ref is gonna shaft us with biased shite calls again.
(not that tfc didn't play down into a draw)

CAN'T BELIEVE HOW NONCHALANT EVERYONE IS ON THE BOARDS?.

-silva elbowed in the face?

-no yellow for two fouls on koev's at the edge of the area?

100$ that if the teams were switched up, donovan would've gotten a pk in that situation.

(koevs getting tripped going for the ball at the end of the game)

I see people on here with fifa corruption sigs........

Is it really such a big stretch to have that in concacaf?

KGH
03-09-2012, 10:43 AM
-----------Kocic-------------
Ecks -Harden--Aceval--Morgan
-----------Frings------------
-----Silva---De Guzman-----
-Johnson---Koevs-----Plata-

I'm not sure why people are putting Frings in the back 4. He's still a MF even when he drops back into a sweeper role.

TOBOR !
03-09-2012, 10:50 AM

Tuesday, right ?

TOBOR !
03-09-2012, 10:57 AM
I see people on here with fifa corruption sigs........

Is it really such a big stretch to have that in concacaf?

Well, matchfixing and bent refs aren't the same thing as Jack Warner sticking aid money destined for Haiti in his pocket, or Warawi Makudi using development funds to build an academy on land he owns, but I understand your point.

We were the home team, and mostly you'd expect the home team to get home team calls and we didn't get any. Why ? Is it because we're Canadian and not likely to put up a fuss so the refs don't need to do that ? Probably.

Get a decision wrong in Toronto and you get some catcalls, do the same thing in Managua and you're putting your life on the line.

ryan
03-09-2012, 10:58 AM
I wonder if it might be more beneficial to start Lambe. Just have him tire out Franklin in the 1st half, then make a halftime sub to bring in Plata fresh to take advantage.

ryan
03-09-2012, 10:59 AM
Well, matchfixing and bent refs aren't the same thing as Jack Warner sticking aid money destined for Haiti in his pocket, or Warawi Makudi using development funds to build an academy on land he owns, but I understand your point.

We were the home team, and mostly you'd expect the home team to get home team calls and we didn't get any. Why ? Is it because we're Canadian and not likely to put up a fuss so the refs don't need to do that ? Probably.

Get a decision wrong in Toronto and you get some catcalls, do the same thing in Managua and you're putting your life on the line.

I agree. I think groups like ours need to be as fierce as we can about calls in these matches. We need to teach everyone else and have them follow our lead as me make the ref feel uncomfortable about calling against us.

Brooker
03-09-2012, 11:02 AM
here's hoping for some horrendous injuries in their next game. i don't mind if they're career ending, either.

T-boy
03-09-2012, 11:35 AM

I'm not sure why people are putting Frings in the back 4. He's still a MF even when he drops back into a sweeper role.

Frings was definitely playing sweeper on Wednesday and not in midfield, we were playing 5-2-3/3-4-3 with the wing backs pushing up on Wednesday.

Frings is awesome playing in the sweeper/centre back roll IMO. He's good in midfield, but in the backline he just see's everything open up in front of him and he dictates the whole game.

Dv23
03-09-2012, 11:35 AM
eagerly awaiting your psychic prediction..

http://winkcreative.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/miss-cleo.jpg

Tuesday, right ?

Yes, yes. Of course. Tuesday, from 11:00 pm, until Wednesday, at 9:00 am. This is when the predictions will come... This is when they always come.

Oldtimer
03-09-2012, 11:39 AM
here's hoping for some horrendous injuries in their next game. i don't mind if they're career ending, either.

I don't wish injuries on anyone. However, temporary bronchitis is another thing... :D

Seriously, though, I want our players to over-perform. Let LA worry about LA.

__wowza
03-09-2012, 12:23 PM
too bad the ref is gonna shaft us with biased shite calls again.

it's been mentioned but it's a dead horse really. the moment danny pulled up his shorts to reveal the welt left by the spike dudley stomp, i knew what the game was. 11 fouls - 2 says it all. if you were in 117 you would've heard me yell "OH YEAH, GOD FORBID ANYTHING HAPPENS TO THE GALAXY. WE WOULDNT WANT THEM TO BE OUTT'VE THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE, WOULD WE? THAT WOULDNT BE GOOD FOR THE LEAGUE, WOULD IT? I HEARD THEY WERE ON COURSE TO WIN THE WHOLE THING", after that the parody stopped and i stopped riling myself up so i could watch the game.

it really doesn't need to be discussed, although the occasional complaint pops up, how crappy concacaf and league officials have been. numerous post game threads come akin to "TFC 1 - Refs __", conspiracy? it's a matter of opinion. bias? you're going to be hard pressed to find a ref who would foul a star team.

__wowza
03-09-2012, 12:47 PM
OPTA stats: make of them what you will, they're certainly telling about the impact beckham made on the last game..

http://i39.tinypic.com/jre1bm.png

http://i40.tinypic.com/10dxnh3.png

PopePouri
03-09-2012, 12:50 PM
I'm going to be cynical and say I'd be extremely surprised if we win. I think they were unbeaten at home last year plus the Gonzales injury won't really change things. It's 1 guy out of probably the best back 4 in the league.

QSIM
03-09-2012, 01:17 PM
LA plays with weekend, a tough match against RSL.

Our squad will also be better than the one we fielded in the first leg. Who knows, no reason we can't get a result.

Auzzy
03-09-2012, 01:37 PM
Regarding Beckham's impact on the game: I couldn't believe how much room TFC was leaving LA in their own half, incl. Beckham. Most of the time, TFC wasn't even starting to pressure until LA was right at the centreline. When playing a very high offside line at the same time, that means we often had an extremely short field. LA could go over the top with a pretty short, pretty accurate pass. With our slow CBs, and LA's strikers, that's risky. We're lucky we didn't get killed by that (and a few bad offside calls by the linesmen helped us -- the only favours we got from the officials, compared with a bunch of bad decisions they made against us).

No way we can afford to do that in LA, especially with the passes & bounces more reliable on grass.

Early in the game, Beckham was playing a bit more forward, and TFC shut him down (or at least bothered him) fairly well. Then he dropped back a bit, and was making more passes out of their own half. With our lack of pressure up front, it was deadly. I think in LA, they need to pressure Beckham all over the field, with the duties handed off between our strikers/wingers & midfielders. I found when Beckham was pressured, his passes often weren't very accurate (as you can see in the stats about -- only 63% successful). Their defense is also a bit shaky, and we would do better to pressure much quicker in their half. They are definitely prone to cough up some balls. Hopefully, TFC will be fit enough on grass, and with a break over the weekend, to keep up that pressure for a full 90.

Yes LA has other dangerous players in midfield, and someone needs to keep an eye on Donovan again next week. Juninho didn't look so great -- still pre-season form, I feel, and not their biggest threat at the moment.

ManUtd4ever
03-09-2012, 02:14 PM
Considering the suspect defending at times by both sides in the first leg, I think it's entirely possible that the second leg ends up with a similar scoreline. I think this could very well be decided in extra time or penalty kicks.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-09-2012, 02:59 PM

you and me both.
we still play 4-3-3 we just adjust to 3-4-3 when necessary

Technorgasm
03-09-2012, 03:29 PM
I sent Becks this in the mail. . should get there in time for a corner kick. .

http://www.recyclethis.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2006/05/drink_can250.jpg

trane
03-09-2012, 04:58 PM
I still cannot get over the number of seats that will be available for the match 7500. What a joke.

Canary10
03-09-2012, 05:02 PM
^ They really can't be considered the "super club" they want to be with those attendance numbers. The real super clubs draw fans from all over the world to their games. LA can't even draw their own city's supporters.

PAOK17
03-09-2012, 05:16 PM
CONCACAF rules are a little different than UEFA. After a game goes into extra time, away goals no longer count. So a 3-3 draw in extra time still goes to penalties, so I guess that is a possibility, as well. 2-2 in regulation, with 3-3, 4-4, etc. in extra time, with penalties.

This is getting pretty unusual, though. Let's just hope for an outright win, or 3-3 or higher in regulation time. LA would likely win any penalty shootout, particularly if Frei is in the net.

I stand corrected.

Silly CONCACAF

jloome
03-09-2012, 10:22 PM
I'm going to be cynical and say I'd be extremely surprised if we win. I think they were unbeaten at home last year plus the Gonzales injury won't really change things. It's 1 guy out of probably the best back 4 in the league.

That one guy is pretty enormous. The two replacements are Andy Boyens (horrendous defender, in case anyone's forgotten, and out of position on Silva's goal) and Tommy Meyer, a straight-up rookie. DelaGarza is a good defender, but he's 5'9". We need to take better advantage of the backline's height but keep the buildup low, as LA counters really well.

mowe
03-09-2012, 11:11 PM
JDG is going to be crucial in this game.

Our defense is okay with Frings playing sweeper. The attack should be fine with DK, Silva, Johnson, Plata, and Soolsma. Our midfield was overmatched by LA and Dunfield wasn't good enough at linking passes together.

De Guzman needs to step up for this game. He has to play up to the level he's shown he's capable of for TFC to have a chance at winning this game. Add that to improved match fitness for the rest of the guys, and better games from Eckersley (who was pretty bad in the first leg) and in net (perhaps Kocic?) and I have a fair amount of hope of beating LA.

lobo
03-10-2012, 12:18 AM
it's been mentioned but it's a dead horse really. the moment danny pulled up his shorts to reveal the welt left by the spike dudley stomp, i knew what the game was. 11 fouls - 2 says it all. if you were in 117 you would've heard me yell "OH YEAH, GOD FORBID ANYTHING HAPPENS TO THE GALAXY. WE WOULDNT WANT THEM TO BE OUTT'VE THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE, WOULD WE? THAT WOULDNT BE GOOD FOR THE LEAGUE, WOULD IT? I HEARD THEY WERE ON COURSE TO WIN THE WHOLE THING", after that the parody stopped and i stopped riling myself up so i could watch the game.

heard that. it did have a calming touch of funny to it.

03-10-2012, 08:26 AM
I don't know how many tickets they've actually sold for Wednesday, but I can get 8 in a row in any section, no problem. And that's only because I can't search for a higher number. Doesn't sound like the 7,500 cap is an issue. At all.

gomesv
03-10-2012, 01:17 PM
[quote=tfc2008;1455474]Too bad we can only have 7,500 fans at the game next week. Nothing says MLS Cup, Supporters Shield and CCL quarterfinals with Beckham, Donovan, Keane like having a college tell you how many tickets you can sell. I guess Torontos sales team is just that much better given that there were 47,000 fans at the game tonight and next week isn't even sold out for LA

I would credit the STH base and the supporters for the promotion and turn out of the 47,000....just my humble opinion:D

TFCREDNWHITE
03-10-2012, 11:36 PM
Im telling you, our midfield is waaaaay better with Frings and JDG in together! It's seriously, night and day. Dunfield sucks. LA won't know what hit them on wednesday, JDG/Frings and Silva will BOSS them and becks will get frustrated...

TFC 3 LA 1

lazlo_80
03-11-2012, 12:27 AM
after watching the LA RSL game does anyone else think Josh Saunders is not a very good goal keeper?

I know the defense isnt great for LA right now, but I have yet to see their keeper make a big save. I think they'll miss Ricketts more than they think.

KGH
03-11-2012, 12:35 AM
after watching the LA RSL game does anyone else think Josh Saunders is not a very good goal keeper?

I know the defense isnt great for LA right now, but I have yet to see their keeper make a big save. I think they'll miss Ricketts more than they think.

My thoughts exactly. Our strategy needs to be put as many shots on him as possible. I think Ricketts makes those 3 saves and LA wins 1-0

Auzzy
03-11-2012, 12:36 AM
After watching Saunders a few times last season, I think he's a pretty good keeper, on average. However, he's definitely not very steady. It's important for TFC to get some shots on the guy. Saunders, together with his shaky defense, is definitely good for a couple of bloopers per game, if you test them often.

iy12l
03-11-2012, 12:47 AM
we should play this 3-4-3 formation on la
---------kocic----------
---harden-frings-aceval---
--Ecks-Silva-JDG-Morgan--
--Johnson--Koef---Plata-

subs:
Soolsma
Dunfiled
Stinson
Henry
Maund
Lambe

NBS
03-11-2012, 01:23 AM
we should play this 3-4-3 formation on la
---------kocic----------
---harden-frings-aceval---
--Ecks-Silva-JDG-Morgan--
--Johnson--Koef---Plata-

subs:
Soolsma
Dunfiled
Stinson
Henry
Maund
Lambe

I agree with that lineup except I can't help but feel that Plata might be more beneficial as a sub against an exhausted Galaxy team playing its third game in a week. Soolsma and Koevermans have worked well together in the past, it's worth considering.

Oldtimer
03-11-2012, 07:52 AM
The Galaxy are beatable, particularly if you play an attacking game:

The Galaxy struck first in the 71st minute but gave up three quick goals in succession to lose to Real Salt Lake in their MLS opener. The teams played a very competitive, attacking game
http://www.examiner.com/los-angeles-galaxy-in-los-angeles/lead-disappears-for-galaxy-mls-opener (http://www.examiner.com/los-angeles-galaxy-in-los-angeles/lead-disappears-for-galaxy-mls-opener#ixzz1ooPx0PAR)

Fort York Redcoat
03-11-2012, 09:18 AM
Subtle Reminder:

Come on down to King And Dufferin to Shoeless Joe's for the Second Leg of the CONCACAF Champions League vs the LA GAlaxy!!! Kicks off at 10!!

See you all there!!!

:drinking::party::drinking:

ensco
03-11-2012, 09:23 AM
^I keep seeing this, but isn't the game at 10pm (ie 7pm PDT)? That's what it says at mlssoccer.com

ManUtd4ever
03-11-2012, 09:35 AM
I assume kickoff is at 10pm local time, 7pm PDT. I seriously doubt that kickoff in LA would be at 4pm. Then again, it's a school night over there. :D

03-11-2012, 11:48 AM
Ives Galarcep ‏ @SoccerByIves (https://twitter.com/#%21/SoccerByIves) RT @adamserrano (https://twitter.com/#%21/adamserrano): Arena after 2nite's LA loss: "I take full responsibility for this loss...should have used fresher bodies...We were tired."

Which makes me wonder if Arena is going to use an even more tired A-lineup on Wednesday, or use fresher players who aren't first choice players.

London
03-11-2012, 11:54 AM
^^^^ that is good news

this was the lineup

LA Galaxy: Josh Saunders; Sean Franklin, Tommy Meyer (Chad Barrett 84’), A.J. DeLaGarza, Todd Dunivant; Landon DonovanŠ, Marcelo Sarvas (Juninho 69’), David Beckham, Mike Magee (Michael Stephens 70’); Robbie Keane, Edson Buddle

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
03-11-2012, 12:05 PM
the 2 goals LA scored against us were utter shit!...If we attack there there shakey
defence with an all out assault no reason we wont score in #'s

3 games in 6 days to start the season for LA will help us also... No better time then now to shock the world of Concacaf!!

TFC/Everton
03-11-2012, 01:32 PM
LA just lost 3-1 to RSL. We can beat these guys.

Ours to lose.

BS1327
03-11-2012, 01:36 PM
I was shocked when I saw the line up to be honest. Thought for sure LA would have started more reserves. However, playing another power in Salt Lake, I can understand why they'd want to make a statement in their opener and go for the win.

I'm excited for Wednesday! We can win this!

Yohan
03-11-2012, 01:59 PM
I was shocked when I saw the line up to be honest. Thought for sure LA would have started more reserves. However, playing another power in Salt Lake, I can understand why they'd want to make a statement in their opener and go for the win.

I'm excited for Wednesday! We can win this!
RSL apparently is a bit of rival too

rocker
03-11-2012, 02:26 PM
But I guess that's why Arena was apologizing... cuz the strategy didn't work in the end. Yes they put up a fight against a key rival in the home opener, but in the end they lost. Maybe playing some rested subs would have earned the same result... and then the starters would be fully ready for Wednesday.

At this rate, they may lose on Wednesday too...

Of course this is the exact problem Winter had in two long stretches last year. It's tough, even for the best coach.

Ajax TFC
03-11-2012, 03:12 PM
I agree with that lineup except I can't help but feel that Plata might be more beneficial as a sub against an exhausted Galaxy team playing its third game in a week. Soolsma and Koevermans have worked well together in the past, it's worth considering.

against most teams, I would agree. However I'm not very confident that Soolsma would be effective against Dunivant. Soolsma is effective because he uses simple tricks to get a bit of space to get in a nice cross. That works really well against average MLS fullbacks, but I'm not that confident it would work against Dunivant. IMO start Plata on the right to run at Dunivant for 70-80 minutes, then sub him for Soolsma who can then take advantage of him being pretty worn down and get in some nice crosses

Torontotonto
03-11-2012, 04:24 PM
Subtle Reminder:

Come on down to King And Dufferin to Shoeless Joe's for the Second Leg of the CONCACAF Champions League vs the LA GAlaxy!!! Kicks off at 7!!

See you all there!!!

:drinking::party::drinking:

Isn't it a 10:00pm start ?

mowe
03-11-2012, 04:34 PM
^Yup, I'm sure that was a typo.

Kickoff 10pm eastern, 7 pacific.

Petor
03-11-2012, 05:00 PM
Isn't it a 10:00pm start ?

You going to Joes Jim?

Redpunkfiddle
03-11-2012, 05:08 PM
^Yup, I'm sure that was a typo.

Kickoff 10pm eastern, 7 pacific.

Also funny is that Sportsnet has the Seattle/Santos game scheduled at 8pm on Sportsnet Ontario , but our match is relegated to Sportsnet One at 10pm

http://www.sportsnet.ca/tvschedule/

I'll be watching the first one to scout out our opposition in the Semis.

Ajax TFC
03-11-2012, 05:29 PM
Also funny is that Sportsnet has the Seattle/Santos game scheduled at 8pm on Sportsnet Ontario , but our match is relegated to Sportsnet One at 10pm

http://www.sportsnet.ca/tvschedule/

I'll be watching the first one to scout out our opposition in the Semis.

this just ruined my day. Words cannot describe how much I hate Rogers right now

Pint
03-11-2012, 05:29 PM
Yes we are on Sportsnet one, I guess they are doing that to get it on national TV?

DOMIN8R
03-11-2012, 05:36 PM
Watch the CCL QUARTERFINALS on CONCACAF TV (http://www.concacaf.com/page/CL/NewsDetail/0,,12813~2119107,00.html)

lazlo_80
03-11-2012, 06:11 PM
We have the fitness advantage now. Lets just come out of the gates flying and wear them out.

Kilgore Trout
03-12-2012, 05:38 AM
Yes we are on Sportsnet one, I guess they are doing that to get it on national TV?
yes.

Sportsnet can afford to air 'event games' like last Wednesday's on all four Sportsnet regions, but not soccer away games at that time. Sportsnet One is national TV and a lot of people have it, if not as many as have the regional.

as someone outside Ontario, I appreciate the move. I get the match in HD now, whereas if at all I might have been able to view it on Sportsnet Ontario in SD.

TOBOR !
03-12-2012, 10:32 AM
I'll be shocked if Beckham plays at all on Wednesday. Truly surprised he played the full 90 on Saturday. Arena screwed this up huuuuuuge.

Carts
03-12-2012, 10:49 AM
Beckham, Donovan, Buddle, Keane - all played 90-mins = NICE...
LA loses at home = NICE...

With tired legs and their unbeaten swagger gone - we should come in and attack, attack, attack!

ManUtd4ever
03-12-2012, 10:49 AM
No chance that Beckham sits this one out as there's a lot on the line. Best case scenario is that he is tired, ineffective, and gets subbed out early.

trane
03-12-2012, 10:51 AM

With tired legs and their unbeaten swagger gone - we should come in and attack, attack, attack!

But you are forgetting the effect of the home crowd, all 7500 of them.

Yohan
03-12-2012, 01:14 PM
yes.

Sportsnet can afford to air 'event games' like last Wednesday's on all four Sportsnet regions, but not soccer away games at that time. Sportsnet One is national TV and a lot of people have it, if not as many as have the regional.

as someone outside Ontario, I appreciate the move. I get the match in HD now, whereas if at all I might have been able to view it on Sportsnet Ontario in SD.
Sportsnet 1 is free for all Rogers customers until 31 Mar

well, Galaxy has been home since Thurs, so they won't be as tired as playing a game after a cross country flight (which deffo did have an effect on their game vs RSL Sat)

Oldtimer
03-12-2012, 01:31 PM
well, Galaxy has been home since Thurs, so they won't be as tired as playing a game after a cross country flight (which deffo did have an effect on their game vs RSL Sat)

Not quite as tired, but 2 games in a week does tend to wear, particularly with an older team.

TFC has a chance. LA is beatable. Let's see what they do with it.

Shway
03-12-2012, 01:36 PM
2-1 TFC Win

Goal from plata, and koevs, and keane

Dv23
03-12-2012, 02:09 PM
Let the record show that I HAVE had a dream about this game, although it was only a minor one. I dreamed that Donovan was bitching, and we could all hear it on the TV broadcast, because there were so few fans in LA's stadium.

Real dream is still to come. Two days away.

DangerRed
03-12-2012, 02:12 PM
Gonna be a chippy game.. the keeper vs Koovs really set the tone, plus all the other pushing and shoving later in the match. Add to this that the ref is another CONCACAF all star, I'd be worried about giving up a red card (as has happened to us so many, many times at crucial moments of crucial matches).

As for outcome, someone before said we faced the same in Dallas, and now the team is actually better. Well, so's the opposition, too. Yeah they're tired, but these guys are far and away the class of the league. I'm joining the cynics. We drop this or maybe lose through a 1-1 draw, with a game-changing decision by the ref just for good measure.

flambe
03-12-2012, 02:41 PM
3-1 win for TFC.
Johnson, Frings (FK) and Koev.
Buddle for LA.

:scarf:

Anyone planning on going to LA to watch?

ManUtd4ever
03-12-2012, 02:51 PM
Aside from fatigue, TFC should also have a slight edge in that all the pressure will be on L.A. to advance due to their stature, and the fact that they will be playing in front of their home crowd (albeit a smaller crowd than usual).

TFC should be well rested and fairly relaxed going into this match, as the players really have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
03-12-2012, 03:02 PM
We got these f'ers on the run....excuse after excuse....as for TFC there is no excuse GET THE JOB DONE BOYS!!!

Could see a different side from LA?

http://www.mlssoccer.com/ccl/news/article/2012/03/12/las-arena-lineup-changes-coming-vs-toronto

pekduck
03-12-2012, 03:03 PM
3-2 TFC

Suilva 1-0 on a blistering shot
Donovan 1-1 on diving theatrics to get a PK
Danny K 2-1 on a header off Frings's cross
Keane 2-2 on a diving theatrics to get another PK
Toronto has next goal waived off incorrectly on offside call
Injury time Frings is pissed off, scores a long range bomb 3-2 TFC advances..

ManUtd4ever
03-12-2012, 03:07 PM
3-2 TFC

Injury time Frings is pissed off, scores a long range bomb 3-2 TFC advances..

So let it be written...So let it be done.

Carts
03-12-2012, 03:08 PM
The CONCACAF ref sounds like he hands out more cards than a casino dealer...

Level heads will be needed following calls - last thing we need is cards being handed out for bitching and moaning...

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
03-12-2012, 03:13 PM
Still getting Chills!!! The Crowd explodes after the SILVA GOAL!!

48_kvkXZoYE

sully
03-12-2012, 03:38 PM
We'll go into the game fitter, I think more motivated and JDG will want to prove something, as will Kovermans after he didn't have the greatest game at skydome.
They only rested 2 players from last wednesday on Saturday and one of them was Boyens - so a good chance he'll play so that's a bonus for us too. I think Arena will rest Beckham and plan to use him only if he has too. I think Barrett will start too.

mowe
03-12-2012, 03:59 PM
Time to see what this team is made of. I'll be happy as long as they put forth their best effort and battle hard.

Roogsy
03-12-2012, 04:28 PM
I dunno...I am feeling kind of...

positive?

Geez...I think you guys are getting to me. :p

GhostKiller
03-12-2012, 05:09 PM
Please god don't let Barrett score

whyalwaysme11
03-12-2012, 05:34 PM
i love it how the sports guy is giving an update on the leafs
then they start having a convo on sports teams in toronto
and they mention the jays starting and raptors falling and dont even mention the fact that there is a huge game for us on wednesday

iy12l
03-12-2012, 05:39 PM
i love it how the sports guy is giving an update on the leafs
then they start having a convo on sports teams in toronto
and they mention the jays starting and raptors falling and dont even mention the fact that there is a huge game for us on wednesday

thats why it sucks for us football fans living in this country

Kc17
03-12-2012, 05:46 PM
2-1 victory would be very nice. All the pressure is on them.

MartinUtd
03-12-2012, 05:46 PM
Please god don't let Barrett score

Last I checked the goal posts weren't up in the 15th row, so we should be okay.

Pigfynn
03-12-2012, 06:41 PM
Last I checked the goal posts weren't up in the 15th row, so we should be okay.

Badumpbadump!

:drum:

NBS
03-12-2012, 08:53 PM
I think all of LA's big players will get at least 45 minutes. They don't have to travel, and all this talk about pressure on LA, it won't bother them, that's what makes them great. If anything, pressure is what they thrive on.

RSL taking advantage of them is one thing, but TFC is not RSL. I want to be optimistic, if we'd held on to 2-1, I would feel much better, but I see little chance of success. They are still better than us, even tired, even having to manage minutes. It may well be close, we may give ourselves a chance, but in the end, LA advances.

FIAF
03-13-2012, 02:20 PM
I think all of LA's big players will get at least 45 minutes. They don't have to travel, and all this talk about pressure on LA, it won't bother them, that's what makes them great. If anything, pressure is what they thrive on.

RSL taking advantage of them is one thing, but TFC is not RSL. I want to be optimistic, if we'd held on to 2-1, I would feel much better, but I see little chance of success. They are still better than us, even tired, even having to manage minutes. It may well be close, we may give ourselves a chance, but in the end, LA advances.

N.O.

starter
03-13-2012, 02:30 PM
N.O.
If we held on to 2:1, we would most certainly tried to play defensive game, and would probably ended up losing 1:0 or so. We have to be aggressive, and take the game to LA, at least we might get some entertainment value out of it.

KGH
03-13-2012, 02:50 PM
I think this is a game that we need to hope for the best but expect LA to play a defensive game. My guess is they try to hold it to a 0-0 draw.

I expect them to rest Bundle or Keane and line up in a very defensive 4-5-1.

gmacpheetfc
03-13-2012, 06:08 PM
that is the last thing they will do

Arena plays the brutal 4-4-2 like a twat.

tfc need to score goals they're not going to sit back for 90 minutes at home.

Torontotonto
03-13-2012, 06:26 PM
[quote=pekduck;1457219]3-2 TFC

Injury time Frings is pissed off, scores a long range bomb 3-2 TFC advances..[/quot

I like it !!!
Come on you REDS

:drum::flare::scarf::flare::drum:

DOMIN8R
03-13-2012, 06:42 PM
I dunno...I am feeling kind of...

positive?

Geez...I think you guys are getting to me. :p

This post is a very positive omen. If ensco agrees, then the stars are aligned. :thumbsup:

ensco
03-13-2012, 08:24 PM
ensco agrees!

:iamwithstupid::iamwithstupid::iamwithstupid:

(I hate this kind of unanimity. It worries me!)

Auzzy
03-13-2012, 08:32 PM
Oh oh, expectations are trending upward, time for some massive disappointment to jar us back to reality... :D

pekduck
03-13-2012, 08:42 PM
This post is a very positive omen. If ensco agrees, then the stars are aligned. :thumbsup:

ensco agrees!

must be the solar flare people are talking about lately, looks like it finally hit earth :D

Canary10
03-13-2012, 08:45 PM
ensco agrees!

And I'm feeling nervous, not at all confident. And I was absolutely certain we'd beat Dallas last year. Oh no the tables are turning!

Now I'm getting the urge to join DeRoUnited.com and vote that he will in fact repeat last year's performance this year...what's going on? Can't resist. When will this all stop?!

Dv23
03-13-2012, 08:51 PM
Guys... Stop the worrying. We're going to win, you'll see. I had a dream about it.

Auzzy
03-13-2012, 09:07 PM
^ Details, please...

dantdot
03-14-2012, 01:43 AM
KADyH5k61s0

Lawl.

Oldtimer
03-14-2012, 06:06 AM
Guys... Stop the worrying. We're going to win, you'll see. I had a dream about it.

Funny thing is, I dreamed about this match too. We were up 2-1 early in the game, cancelling LA's away goal lead, then I woke up. Obviously this match is very much on our minds.

I don't claim anything prophetic about my dream, but I do have a feeling that either TFC is going to bomb out, or we are going to see a win. A win is certainly possible.

As far as resting players, my bet is that LA will rest Keane, but Beckham and Donovan will play.

The things that give me confidence that TFC can pull this off, despite the away goals advantage is the self-belief of the team, and also JDG's interview showed me that he at least is aware of what needs to be done to shut LA down. Let's see if they can pull this off!

GAME DAY!!!!! :scarf::scarf::scarf:

pekduck
03-14-2012, 06:19 AM
KADyH5k61s0

Lawl.

:rofl:

way to start the day, silva plata

__wowza
03-14-2012, 07:34 AM
:rofl:

way to start the day, silva plata

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_YTnWwtgfB78/TAAH5KJI8OI/AAAAAAAADxE/y_I4MeSTvyg/s1600/talking-about-drugs-787664.jpg

pekduck
03-14-2012, 08:14 AM
^
i'm tempted to photo shop landycake's head on that plate.... i blame the cruel dream i had last night... it was not about the game.. i was working on reporting and spreadsheet for work...in dream... fml...

TFC Cityboy
03-14-2012, 08:41 AM
am ridiculously confident of victory tonight 2-1 TFC with us clinging on at the end
:)

tfcleeds
03-14-2012, 08:46 AM
I think the first 20 minutes will be key. The lads have to come out and not have the jitters. If we can hold them at bay early on, the more frustrated they'll get, and that will hopefully open the door for some opportunities. Keane looked especially frustrated the last game against RSL - hopefully that will continue.

Carts
03-14-2012, 08:51 AM
I think the first 20 minutes will be key. The lads have to come out and not have the jitters. If we can hold them at bay early on, the more frustrated they'll get, and that will hopefully open the door for some opportunities. Keane looked especially frustrated the last game against RSL - hopefully that will continue.

I don't want us to come out and 'hold them at bay'... I want the opposite...

Come out and RUN AT THEM LIKE THE HAMMERS OF HELL...

20-mins in and we don't have a goal or a decent chance, then our youngsters will get the jitters... Our youngsters will get the "oh shit, how will we score two" while their veteran squad will be easy and calm...

We NEED 2-goals min (IMO) b/c I can't see us holding that offence (as tired as they may be) to a clean sheet...

We concede a goal early on, no worries - the boys should be well prepared that we need 2-goals to win this (or extend to ET / Penalties)...

ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK and don't let up...

As tired as one of our boys might get - they'll be worse (or at worst for us, equal in the gas tank)...

GO GET'EM BOYS!!!!

Heart of Stone
03-14-2012, 09:01 AM
Ryan Johnson scores big goals for TFC... we need another one tonight.

Fort York Redcoat
03-14-2012, 09:03 AM

Anybody looking for a new sig? :D

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/138/246/tumblr_lltzgnHi5F1qzib3wo1_400.jpg

Roogsy
03-14-2012, 09:05 AM
Ryan Johnson scores big goals for TFC... we need another one tonight.

In my opinion, it is this management's best acquisition.

DPs like Frings and Koevs, good signings but also somewhat no-brainers. They are proven winners but also expensive, you expect them to produce. But the Johnson trade was a risky and one that has already paid dividends. This is one I give full credit for.

Canary10
03-14-2012, 09:07 AM
^ Roogsy, you're changing.

tfcleeds
03-14-2012, 09:11 AM
Well at least the crowd won't be as much of a factor in this game - that's one more thing in our favour. And hopefully, a good portion of the 7,500 will be family and friends of Luis Silva! :D

pekduck
03-14-2012, 09:20 AM

20-mins in and we don't have a goal or a decent chance, then our youngsters will get the jitters... Our youngsters will get the "oh shit, how will we score two" while their veteran squad will be easy and calm...

We NEED 2-goals min (IMO) b/c I can't see us holding that offence (as tired as they may be) to a clean sheet...

We concede a goal early on, no worries - the boys should be well prepared that we need 2-goals to win this (or extend to ET / Penalties)...

As tired as one of our boys might get - they'll be worse (or at worst for us, equal in the gas tank)...

GO GET'EM BOYS!!!!

you tell them carts!

go at them, go at them hard, go at them hard from the whistle

Roogsy
03-14-2012, 09:20 AM
^ Roogsy, you're changing.

Not really...we're not dead last and -23... :lol:

If we wind up there again, good ol' Roogsy will be back. :D

I am a simple guy. I am about performance and numbers. None of this "heading in the right direction" stuff you either get me there or you hear about it from me.

Waggy
03-14-2012, 09:37 AM
All this good feeling stuff worries me. I hope tonight isn't Joe Pesci getting the call that he got made.

That said, I said it early, and I'm sticking with it. 3-2 TFC. Silva scores the winner late. Going to do everything in my power to not get too excited. It's going to be hard. Come on you Reds!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQXE1PJIWCc

tfcleeds
03-14-2012, 09:38 AM
All this good feeling stuff worries me. I hope tonight isn't Joe Pesci getting the call that he got made.

That said, I said it early, and I'm sticking with it. 3-2 TFC. Silva scores the winner late. Going to do everything in my power to not get too excited. It's going to be hard. Come on you Reds!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQXE1PJIWCc

Nice reference, haha.

QSIM
03-14-2012, 09:45 AM
In my opinion, it is this management's best acquisition.

DPs like Frings and Koevs, good signings but also somewhat no-brainers. They are proven winners but also expensive, you expect them to produce. But the Johnson trade was a risky and one that has already paid dividends. This is one I give full credit for.

Totally agree. There's also something to be said about picking up Plata late in the superdraft.

Roogsy
03-14-2012, 10:29 AM
Totally agree. There's also something to be said about picking up Plata late in the superdraft.

Not wanting to start a whole flame war but I would be shocked if anyone sees this pick up as anything more than pure luck.

Carts
03-14-2012, 10:30 AM
you tell them carts!

go at them, go at them hard, go at them hard from the whistle

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/417136_10150668824599269_505479268_9099833_9951684 97_n.jpg

pekduck
03-14-2012, 10:33 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/417136_10150668824599269_505479268_9099833_9951684 97_n.jpg

paging FYR and banner team!!!!!

JuliquE
03-14-2012, 10:43 AM

GO GET'EM BOYS!!!!
Nothing has ever made more sense.

Dv23
03-14-2012, 10:44 AM
Pretty sure that I predicted a 1-0 win for TFC. But I also saw something bad happening with Frings in the near future..

FIAF
03-14-2012, 10:51 AM
This is going to be on Sportsnet 1? I hate the FOX commentators. In general I can't stand US commentators for some reason. Hopefully it will be a sportsnet stream and not from FOX.

ManUtd4ever
03-14-2012, 10:51 AM
Not wanting to start a whole flame war but I would be shocked if anyone sees this pick up as anything more than pure luck.

I saw it as more of a calculated risk in the later rounds of the draft to acquire an undersized skilled forward that had a tremendous showing at the MLS combine.

I know all the other MLS clubs passed on the opportunity because of Plata's diminutive stature and contract status, but I think you are selling Paul Mariner short by referring to it as pure luck. I think TFC management was well aware of Plata's potential upside when they drafted him.

Roogsy
03-14-2012, 10:54 AM
I saw it as more of a calculated risk in the later rounds of the draft to acquire and undersized skilled forward that had a tremendous showing at the MLS combine.

I know all the other MLS clubs passed on the opportunity because of Plata's diminutive stature and contract status, but I think you are selling Paul Mariner short by referring to it as pure luck. I think TFC management was well aware of Plata's potential upside when they drafted him.

Which is why he was picked 49th overall? Out of 54? And with the team's 4th pick? Sorry but that says "I am taking a flyer on this last pick I have no idea what to do with" as opposed to "this is a pick I believe in". Yeah, all the other clubs passed on him...including us, 3 times. If it was a pick he really believed in it would not have been after we picked 3 guys in front of him and 48 other guys. If it hadn't worked out would any of us have been upset? No, because it wasn't a risk. This is one of those "man I can't believe I found $20 in these old jeans" more than anything else.

Credit should be given where credit is due, not where we got lucky.

The real credit with Joao is in seeing him being able to contribute and plugging him into the lineup consistently and increasingly more often as the year went on. Not in the draft.

Carts
03-14-2012, 10:56 AM
ManUtd4ever (http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/member.php?u=479) & Roogsy - how do I say this nicely...?
With an emoticon of course!

:topic: :topic: :topic: :topic: :topic: :topic: :topic:

:D

Carts
03-14-2012, 11:01 AM
Anyways, BACK TO THE MATCH...

But, a discussion thread about this management groups best ever pickup - nothing wrong with that in the TFC form of course! :)

TOBOR !
03-14-2012, 11:06 AM
Pretty sure that I predicted a 1-0 win for TFC. But I also saw something bad happening with Frings in the near future..

Fark.

I was hoping for something more 3-1 ish. Something that allows me to enjoy the victory during the game, rather than having to sweat it out until the final whistle.

But a win's a win.

Too bad about Frings. I hope it's nothing major. We need that guy.

rowjimi
03-14-2012, 11:08 AM
Totally new to the forums but a SSH since day 1. Can't wait until 10pm. I realize most people are in the Toronto area. Any suggestions for watching the game in Oakville. Trying to stay within a reasonable cab ride home.

rviewmirror
03-14-2012, 11:10 AM
I'm interested in a west end viewing as well - any thoughts? Mississauga area preferrable for me.

Dv23
03-14-2012, 11:12 AM
Lol, Tobor, you're hilarious. I hope that the prediction is wrong, though. I don't want this cursed power any more. No man should.

Carts
03-14-2012, 11:16 AM
Probably none of this tonight eh? (not that we condone this stuff)...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/418570_10150668934549269_1929268337_n.jpg

Red Rat
03-14-2012, 11:24 AM
Probably none of this tonight eh? (not that we condone this stuff)...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/418570_10150668934549269_1929268337_n.jpg
this is the best advertising next to Moosehead's stolen beer couple years ago

jazzy
03-14-2012, 11:33 AM

BANNER...

Detroit_TFC
03-14-2012, 11:51 AM
If we have a team now that can consistently score on the road, many other concerns can be put to rest. Hopefully tonight and this weekend we'll get some evidence to support that theory.

TFC07
03-14-2012, 11:55 AM
Based on history, I would say this game will end up as a draw (hopefully 3-3 draw). :o

Walms
03-14-2012, 12:11 PM
RUN AT THEM LIKE THE HAMMERS OF HELL...

Agreed!! Get LA on there back heal and put a couple in early..... We just have to hold the lead this time!!!

GO REDS

Code Red
03-14-2012, 01:19 PM
This game feels ALMOST as exciting as the one at the Rogers Centre.

Red Rat
03-14-2012, 01:48 PM
I just hope that there isn't any suicides tonight

mowe
03-14-2012, 02:14 PM
Biggest game in club history (although not as exciting the second time) and I'd like to get my prediction in:

3-3. Koevermans, Frings, Plata.

tfcleeds
03-14-2012, 02:17 PM
Hope Becks and Landycakes get all their botox injections in before the match.

BRING IT ON BITCHEZ!!!!!

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=4971798786080990&id=0c943524f1be25b0417fcbeb4af1eacd&index=newexp

QSIM
03-14-2012, 02:35 PM
2-0 for the Reds.

Johnson with one in the opening 20. Hang on for dear life and hit them on a counter later to seal it (Johnson, again).

TOBOR !
03-14-2012, 02:36 PM
correction boy, biggest game in history - so far

if we're doing the angry mob banner with the Hammers of Hell I think one guy ought to be gettign raedy to toss a beer can.

That's all.

Auzzy
03-14-2012, 02:37 PM
correction boy, biggest game in history - so far

if we're doing the angry mob banner with the Hammers of Hell I think one guy ought to be gettign raedy to toss a beer can.

That's all.

Or a flaming roll of toilet paper.

EDIT That's a joke, don't want that showing up on whatever takes the place of MLS Rumors these days!

RealG-TFC
03-14-2012, 02:38 PM
I would really like to see Danny K net one in. I bet he's hungry after getting to know Saunders a little too well.

ManUtd4ever
03-14-2012, 02:52 PM
It's surreal to be so tense about matches this early in the season. Hopefully TFC can blow them out early so it won't be as nerve racking to watch. :D

denime
03-14-2012, 02:54 PM
Can't argue with this article. :scarf:

Why Toronto Will (Probably) Win Tonight (http://www.eightysixforever.com/2012/3/14/2871677/why-toronto-will-probably-win-tonight)

Oldtimer
03-14-2012, 02:55 PM
It's surreal to be so tense about matches this early in the season. Hopefully TFC can blow them out early so it won't be as nerve racking to watch. :D

It's surreal to start the season with what essentially are playoff matches.

Roogsy
03-14-2012, 03:03 PM
Has anyone called a 2-2 draw yet?

Just because we in Toronto are so unlucky, I predict it will go into extra time. We may even wind up seeing PKs. :puke:

Red Rat
03-14-2012, 03:04 PM

Why Toronto Will (Probably) Win Tonight (http://www.eightysixforever.com/2012/3/14/2871677/why-toronto-will-probably-win-tonight)
sorry Demine but anything with the word Probably, does not make it too reliable does it?
That is why they use it in the weather so much

tfcleeds
03-14-2012, 03:13 PM

He's only a poor little Whitecaps fan,
His face is all tattered and torn
He made me feel sick, so I hit him with a brick,
And now he doesn't sing anymore!!

(Having said that, I certainly hope he's right)

Torontotonto
03-14-2012, 04:00 PM
Hope the boys get off to a quick start tonight.
Who's in net ?
Frei again or Kocic ?

Code Red
03-14-2012, 04:22 PM

Praise (if we can call it that) from a VW supporter, never thought I'd see the day.

The Oz
03-14-2012, 04:47 PM
Any ideas on lineups tonight?

razor787
03-14-2012, 05:20 PM
I set up a chat server for last weeks game, but i don't think it was used (didn't get the word out enough). If it works out, and people like it, I will look into buying a server for the RPB's to use as an addition to the thread (why type, when you can chat without taking your eyes off the game)

The server is mumble, here is the thread from before http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=30943

To download Mumble click here - http://download.mumble.com/en/mumble-1.2.3a.msi

Once installed, to join the RPB server open mumble and select server > connect > add new

Label: Mumble Server
Address: redpatchboys.mumble.com
Port: 9687
Username: (you choose)
Password: Plata

Keep in mind that it is restricted to 15 people since it is only a trial. If it works out, and people like the idea, I will increase the cap.

For a direct link to the download page visit http://www.mumble.com/mumble-download.php

MartinUtd
03-14-2012, 05:42 PM
Feel good about this game. This is when our depth shines through. You can have the best starting XI in the league but if you run them ragged you won't get results.

4-2 TFC.

Off to Carson now, see you boys later :D

pekduck
03-14-2012, 05:49 PM
Feel good about this game. This is when our depth shines through. You can have the best starting XI in the league but if you run them ragged you won't get results.

4-2 TFC.

Off to Carson now, see you boys later :D

make us proud martin!
:scarf:

Gallade
03-14-2012, 06:07 PM
finding it hard to take my eyes off the clock now...

rocktml
03-14-2012, 06:36 PM
Will Sportsnet have a live stream to this match?

dantdot
03-14-2012, 06:50 PM
Will Sportsnet have a live stream to this match?

Yep.

Torontotonto
03-14-2012, 06:58 PM
Yep.

Is that a online stream or Sportnet on TV ?

Ajax TFC
03-14-2012, 06:59 PM
Hope the boys get off to a quick start tonight.
Who's in net ?
Frei again or Kocic ?

In preseason Winter said that when you chose which keeper will start the season, you have to give them at least four or five matches. So I'm going to guess that he'll stick with what he said and start Frei (even though I personally want to see Kocic)

dantdot
03-14-2012, 07:05 PM
Is that a online stream or Sportnet on TV ?

I think he was asking about the online stream. It's on Sportnet ONE on TV.

Gazza
03-14-2012, 07:08 PM
We're a team who can't defend set-pieces with a goalie who can't handle crosses against one of the best dead-ball players of all time. Please keep the fouls in dangerous areas to a minimum this time!

Huyton
03-14-2012, 07:08 PM
A large number of Toronto FC support other teams, frequently some of the finest on the planet. Our ranks come from supporters of teams with names to conjure with: Liverpool, Manchester United, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus, Inter Milan, AC Milan, Bayern Munich, Ajax, Independiente, Boca Juniors, River Plate, Sao Paolo, National, Penarol and Colo-Colo.

So we know how this moment feels. The anticipation before a crucial match: putting on that special shirt that's always brought good luck to our team, gathering with friends and fellow supporters, and perhaps one final bit of banter.

There will be the quiet introspection of our team in the dressing room, the words of inspiration from our captain to his troops, a nervous shuffling of feet as the adrenaline starts to surge.

All is ready.

So, come what may in Carson this evening, whether our beloved Reds reach the end of the road, or if there is yet another night to come, a night like this is the reward for so many long, cold nights, hoarse throats, hands red from clapping, thunderstorms and danger from lightning.

I'd just like to offer a truly heartfelt thank you for this moment.

:tfc:

Kaz
03-14-2012, 07:29 PM
I feel bad I decided to stay home tonight, I still don't know a decent football bar in Brampton, and travel to Toronto with a late kick off is too much, so It's home and watch the stream.

But I get scared when Vancouver fans are saying we may win. Though at the same time, I'm sad that they in CONCACAF game they aren't hoping the Canadian team will win.

I watched both Montreal Quarter Final matches and followed them all the way through. If Toronto were to lose this year and Vancouver were to win, I'd still want the Canadian team to go as far as possible to show CONCACAF that Panama a country with fewer group stage points then Canada in the last 4 years.. (with 2 to 3 Panamanian teams competing each year and a Canadian team not making it through to the group stage one year) does not deserve the Pot A spot. We should be considered a strong enough nation to be put in the Pot A slot. And I will support any Canadian Side that can help CONCACAF seat their hats.

JavierMartini
03-14-2012, 08:19 PM
Santos--Seattle
---3------1---
----(AGG)----
--4-------3--

KGH
03-14-2012, 08:24 PM
Kocic, Eckersley, Frings, Aceval, Harden, Morgan, Soolsma, DeGuzman, Plata, Koevermans, Johnson

Oldtimer
03-14-2012, 08:28 PM
Match thread now up:

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?p=1458408#post1458408