PDA

View Full Version : Some "Soccer" Fans were ingnorant about TFC

Doucet3
03-08-2012, 02:58 AM
As I sat in my seat, which I got the a little late, had some annoying kids (they didn't bother me all that much really), a kid kicking my chair for an extended period of time and a VERY ignorant person who refused to move his slouched out legs when I went for a beer, and implied with his "frustrated" "throw the hands up in the air" gesture.

All of the about made it hard to watch the game but it was Toronto FC, so no level of annoyance could ruin my game experience, I sat there and enjoyed the game with my buddy; the game went one I dealt with the annoyances accordingly, letting the kids do what they want... There kids right I'm not gunna make them feel bad at such a great event, just ignored the asshole.

Anyways once the game was over a "fan" stood up and proceeded to say TFC was shit and "thanks for 5 years of a waste" and proceeded to boo our hardworking boys with remarks of them being lazy and the Toronto FC Leafs; was absolutely pathetic, he obviously had no knowledge of football and that the Galaxy are the BEST MLS side hands down, with 3 EPL level players in, Beckham, Keane, & Donovan. And we where heavily underdogs.

Either way I'm proud of our boys they did an amazing job I'm think a 2-2 draw was a good (not great) result.

PS I wasn't in the supporters section but you all absolutely killed it!

Mojo
03-08-2012, 03:30 AM
There was a group behind me who said "so I guess LA Galaxy isn't that good of a team".

THEY WERE WOMEN.

Sorry, that last part was irrelevant and inappropriate. But they were hot. So I obviously didn't correct them. Because hot women scare the shit out of me.

Couchy81
03-08-2012, 03:38 AM
Old man yells at cloud

Red Rat
03-08-2012, 08:22 AM
did you expect any better?
really

Lucky Strike
03-08-2012, 08:24 AM
Old man yells at cloud

Classic. :)

TFC Cityboy
03-08-2012, 08:26 AM
with more than double the BMO crowd, we were always going to have a high proportion of non-footy folks dragged out by their kids who wanted to go.
Great to see so many kids out on a schoolnight tho- it's nights like that that ignite the passion for them.
TFC made a massive statement last night with that crowd and atmosphere.

ensco
03-08-2012, 08:27 AM
I saw in the prawnies (Sec 132) and, amazingly, there was a fair bit of standing (which caused some grumbling but nothing serious), and some chants.

^My kids loved it. But please start these games at 7 or 7.30pm!

Fushida
03-08-2012, 08:28 AM
paper airplanes.

__wowza
03-08-2012, 08:44 AM
people at the top of 117 started up a "paper airplanes!" chant which was responded with a "WATCH THE GAME" chant. there was a good deal of randoms who showed up, but when i saw kids walking outside after the game doing the TFC chant it gave me the warm fuzzies.

on a side note, i saw someone selling TORONTO FC / DAVID BECKHAM scarfs. da fahq?

flambe
03-08-2012, 08:59 AM
When Beckham gets a bigger round of applause on his introduction than any of the TFC players there is an underlying problem. :o

Are we from Toronto or not, geez.

ryan
03-08-2012, 09:11 AM
Yeah a popular comment (that I've heard at BMO as well) is "what is this, Maple Leaf Soccer?" Or when a player mistimes a strike and it sails..."man that guy sucks, take him out"..regardless of who the player is.

Still a horde of ignorance to be overcome with the average joe unfortunately. After Magee's goal about 70% of the crowd engaged in general chit chat and didn't focus on the game for the rest of the half.

I think with many sports fans being raised on Football, Hockey, Baseball and Basketball, they have no real understanding of the value of scoring in Soccer. Those 4 sports all continue to push towards making things more scoring friendly, while already being sports with multiple scores by both sides being a regular occurrence. They've continued devalued scoring plays as the years go on (I mean look at the NFL, touchdowns mean NOTHING compared to just 10 years ago) where as Soccer has always held firm with it's rules in maintaining the value of scoring.

Especially in a CCL format where away goals are so impacting. Without the appreciation for 'a soccer goal', combined with a lack of depth in understanding the game, the average joe just doesn't see the game the right way just yet.

TOBOR !
03-08-2012, 09:18 AM
I think with many sports fans being raised on Football, Hockey, Baseball and Basketball, they have no real understanding of the value of scoring in Soccer. Those 4 sports all continue to push towards making things more scoring friendly, while already being sports with multiple scores by both sides being a regular occurrence. They've continued devalued scoring plays as the years go on (I mean look at the NFL, touchdowns mean NOTHING compared to just 10 years ago) where as Soccer has always held firm with it's rules in maintaining the value of scoring.

[rubs chin thoughfully] Very interesting point.

Furtado91
03-08-2012, 09:21 AM
people at the top of 117 started up a "paper airplanes!" chant which was responded with a "WATCH THE GAME" chant. there was a good deal of randoms who showed up, but when i saw kids walking outside after the game doing the TFC chant it gave me the warm fuzzies.

on a side note, i saw someone selling TORONTO FC / DAVID BECKHAM scarfs. da fahq?

Yeah i saw someone selling david beckham shirts outside the skydome after the game. I was like huh are you serious. Im amazed his shit didn't get stolen and burned.

Ben - D.O.W.
03-08-2012, 09:26 AM
When Beckham gets a bigger round of applause on his introduction than any of the TFC players there is an underlying problem. :o

Really? All I heard was boo's when his name got called. Or he took a corner. Or he touched the ball. Or he cried to the ref. I was in 118 though so maybe it was different elsewhere in the stadium.

socceronly
03-08-2012, 09:29 AM
Fuck I would have bought a TFC Beckham scarf just for the retarded absurdity of it.

Then do something terrible to it later in a complex ceremony meant to appease to the collection of gods angered by this.

jabbronies
03-08-2012, 09:33 AM
Really? All I heard was boo's when his name got called. Or he took a corner. Or he touched the ball. Or he cried to the ref. I was in 118 though so maybe it was different elsewhere in the stadium.

i heard a lot of boos as well from 238

Chris Wren
03-08-2012, 09:48 AM
Old man yells at cloud

No doubt.

I feel like I was at a different game. One where Beckham was booed like crazy over and over again and one where the so called casuals and those that apparently don't understand the value of goals in soccer all seemed really into the game.

The comments I'm reading here (like 70% of the crowd engaging in general chit chat after the Magee goal) seem to be coming out of left field.

nickio
03-08-2012, 09:53 AM
Some fun stereotypes I saw last night in the 500 crowd:

I don't mean to offend anyone of course, I just laughed when I saw it-
think of it like a monty python sketch

- Chatty wives, gfs, moms chatting away amongst themsevles, buzzing their husband's ears off (I brought mine :)), DURING Key moments: corner kicks, free kicks - they weren't too concerned.
- There was a double date next to me, the gfs were sitting on their bf's laps turned sideways looking away from the pitch for about 95% of the 2nd half, chatting away about facebook groups :)

-Parents with very little kids. Great to bring your kids and everything, I did feel bad for them having to get up and run 27 steps down to the washroom every 10 minutes. Ofcourse the kids could care less 30 seconds into the game.

-The "know it all, semi-pro teenagers" screaming, "laces down" "come on, even I could kick that shit"

-non-footy fans, constantly saying "Get up!... in hockey/football you just get up and keep going... blah blah blah"

And my favourite:

-The "lookers". Don't MOVE! or SAY anything LOUD!- they WILL turn around and look at you like you have 2 heads! :)

But it was good to see everyone, and fun to throw some stereotypes around :)

Carefree
03-08-2012, 10:00 AM
I saw in the prawnies (Sec 132) and, amazingly, there was a fair bit of standing (which caused some grumbling but nothing serious), and some chants.

^My kids loved it. But please start these games at 7 or 7.30pm!
I was at the top of 114 (non-supporters section) and from what I could see everybody was standing. I couldn't even see anyone sitting down.

Jack
03-08-2012, 10:08 AM
Considering the fact that this is only half a decade in, I'd say last night was a roaring success. There will always be people at matches who aren't as into the game as others, but to see a turnout like that in Toronto was really something. The atmosphere inside the stadium was amazing and the support was pretty damn good. The general noise level was high and, as I walked around the stadium on my way to my section (yes, yes, I was late :( ), the buzz was electric.

__wowza
03-08-2012, 10:08 AM
Fuck I would have bought a TFC Beckham scarf just for the retarded absurdity of it.

Yeah i saw someone selling david beckham shirts outside the skydome after the game. I was like huh are you serious.

seriously.. its kinda like a bad movie that you see with your friends for a laugh and it ends up making $40 million at the box office. i didnt even want to part with my money as a joke.

also, matt where'd you go after i saw you at crocs? i was off buying you a beer that i had to drink when i couldnt find you! two delicious.. delicious beers to myself.. nevermind. thanks matt :D :drinking:

Still a horde of ignorance to be overcome with the average joe unfortunately. After Magee's goal about 70% of the crowd engaged in general chit chat and didn't focus on the game for the rest of the half.

Especially in a CCL format where away goals are so impacting. Without the appreciation for 'a soccer goal', combined with a lack of depth in understanding the game, the average joe just doesn't see the game the right way just yet.

north americans always make jokes about low scores and ties in soccer, but the skill involved in scoring is downright absurd. the NHL 2.0 has been fine tuned to make it easier to score. increased amounts of non-violent penalties (delay of game, holding, hooking, etc) are a steadfast indication of that. fuck, even automatic icing being discussed. what most, and ill use this term, stupid sports fans don't understand is that scoring more doesn't make a game more exciting.. it devalues each goal. when im watching the bruins vs the leafs and it's 6-4, i shouldnt be there thinking "oh no, chara took a penalty! there's a very realistic possibility that the leafs can score 3 goals in the last 5 minutes, this could be anyones game!" vs the football proper mentality of "if they even score 2 goals in 5 minutes to tie it up it'd be a fucking miracle!"

case in point: you will never see a manchester united winning the treble in the dying embers of a game moment in any other sport, period.

whens the last time you can say you truly saw a "memorable" game in hockey/basketball/football?

MarkEightThree
03-08-2012, 10:10 AM
I'd take a game at BMO over Rogers Centre any day. It's hard to enjoy the match when people are chanting for baconators and Pizza Pizza around you as paper airplanes fly by. I guess that's what happens when it becomes more about the spectacle than the game.

And the 'this team sucks' mentality will always be there, even if we lose in the MLS Cup finals. One guy called in to the Fan590 after the game to tell the host that this team sucks, we have zero quality players, and there were no signs of promise for this year. He also mentioned that we mostly suck because we traded away DeRosario and he was the only one who could have brought us success. The host did call him out on our team actually having a lot of promise this year and the fact that we went toe-to-toe with the best team in the MLS, so credit to him.

Auzzy
03-08-2012, 10:12 AM
Actually, I was positively surprised. I was expecting much worse overall. Mind you, I was sitting in the first row of 219, so people around me were mostly fairly hard-core season ticket holders, that purchased tickets early during the SSH pre-sale, when the best seats were available.. I seriously heard fewer clueless comments than at an average game at BMO.

And generally, I didn't see a single Beckham jersey before, during, or after the game. (Other than on the tattooed wanker strutting around on the field). I know there were a few based on what others have said, but that's it. There was way more red all over the place than I expected.

And yes, there was a bit of cheering for Becks before the game, but way more booing, and booing throughout the game for him. I though Plata and a few other TFC players got the loudest cheers pre-game.

Jack
03-08-2012, 10:13 AM
It's fine to have high expectations, but guys, this is the 6th year of this team in Toronto. You can't expect people to have as much knowledge about the team, or the same level of passion, as the supporters on this and other message boards.

Last night was a huge milestone for TFC and the sport in this city. This is not a sprint.

Borga
03-08-2012, 10:13 AM
From section 206, I think the person who thought Beckham got the biggest cheers was crazy. I can't complain about our area at all, everyone was pretty focused on the game and some dudes in 205 were really bringing the noise. Props to the south end, you guys were on fire.

Really, anyone who wants to complain about last night is just splitting hairs. That was a huge success by any reasonable measure. Except conceding late - that was too bad.

Kaz
03-08-2012, 10:30 AM
I was in 109a and outside of a bunch of Galaxy fans with tickets in the 500 level that didn't go to their seats, and a few hipsters, and a fraking wave. it was a good..

My father has always said the game seems so slow, so it wasn't really on his, hey was always passing on coming to games, he changed his toon a bit, saying TV doesn't do it justice at all.

I just wish we were hungry for a third goal from minute 20 to 90.

Juanito
03-08-2012, 10:38 AM
Overall, it was a good time.

You will always get the non-footie types but it comes with the territory. If anything, we can turn some of those "casuals" into "diehards".

The only thing that I find annoying is that "LEAF NATION" is so starved for winning that when they turn to another team (TFC, Blue Jays, and Raptors), they want INSTANT SUCCESS and if they don't get it ... WE JUST SUCK.

I will add that to the long list of why I HATE LEAFS NATION!!

SoccMan
03-08-2012, 10:40 AM
I thought that a very good portion of the large crowd was into it much more than I would have imagined going into the game. Whatever, sporting event you go to be it baseball, hockey, basketball and so on you will get people there that are generaly clueless about what they are watching or are not into it as the more serious fan. Also, soccer is not a new sport here in Toronto or in Canada, soccer at the youth participation level has been one of the sports here in Canada with one of the most participants for awhile now going back to the 1980's soccer has been up there with hockey as one of the sports with the largest youth registrations. Therefore, many kids have grown up playing the sport, many adults today have also grown up playing the sport, therefore, you will find a vast majority of people attending soccer matches in Toronto and Canada understanding soccer and understanding things like the value of a goal. I find the Toronto crowds that attend soccer matches in Toronto very knowledgeble in general.

TOBOR !
03-08-2012, 11:02 AM
One guy called in to the Fan590 after the game to tell the host that this team sucks, we have zero quality players, and there were no signs of promise for this year. He also mentioned that we mostly suck because we traded away DeRosario and he was the only one who could have brought us success. The host did call him out on our team actually having a lot of promise this year and the fact that we went toe-to-toe with the best team in the MLS, so credit to him.

Roogsy...

:picard:

Chris Wren
03-08-2012, 11:04 AM
seriously.. its kinda like a bad movie that you see with your friends for a laugh and it ends up making $40 million at the box office. i didnt even want to part with my money as a joke.

also, matt where'd you go after i saw you at crocs? i was off buying you a beer that i had to drink when i couldnt find you! two delicious.. delicious beers to myself.. nevermind. thanks matt :D :drinking:

north americans always make jokes about low scores and ties in soccer, but the skill involved in scoring is downright absurd. the NHL 2.0 has been fine tuned to make it easier to score. increased amounts of non-violent penalties (delay of game, holding, hooking, etc) are a steadfast indication of that. fuck, even automatic icing being discussed. what most, and ill use this term, stupid sports fans don't understand is that scoring more doesn't make a game more exciting.. it devalues each goal. when im watching the bruins vs the leafs and it's 6-4, i shouldnt be there thinking "oh no, chara took a penalty! there's a very realistic possibility that the leafs can score 3 goals in the last 5 minutes, this could be anyones game!" vs the football proper mentality of "if they even score 2 goals in 5 minutes to tie it up it'd be a fucking miracle!"

case in point: you will never see a manchester united winning the treble in the dying embers of a game moment in any other sport, period.

whens the last time you can say you truly saw a "memorable" game in hockey/basketball/football?

What are you talking about? You're going to start with the North American sports are dumb debate?

I think this is what :picard: was meant for.

Almost 48 000 people at the dome watching TFC and it somehow becomes an "us vs. them" thing. Sad.

Roogsy
03-08-2012, 11:05 AM
Roogsy...

:picard:

:lol:

Whoop
03-08-2012, 11:11 AM

That's an absurd statement.

Sports fans can list you a string of "memorable" games in their respective sports just like soccer fans can. Hell, one of the most "memorable" sporting events in Toronto's history took place in that stadium close to 20 years ago.

There's no need to turn into as someone else put it "us vs them" debate.

And as for the former statement, a lot of teams/clubs/countries have won championships in the dying moments of a game or in sudden death overtime.

And being in section 120 last night I could argue some TFC fans - who claim to be big supporters and fans of the team - were among the most ignorant in the stadium last night.

EastYork
03-08-2012, 11:17 AM
Last night was a step in the right direction for soccer in Toronto. Must give respect to TFC front office for working with the supporters and allowing us to create that atmosphere last night which has never been seen in Toronto before.

billyfly
03-08-2012, 11:19 AM
paper airplanes.

I counted 7 on the field at one point.

brad
03-08-2012, 11:20 AM
Sports fans can list you a string of "memorable" games in their respective sports just like soccer fans can. Hell, one of the most "memorable" sporting events in Toronto's history took place in that stadium close to 20 years ago.

I count Crosby's late winner against the US to win the gold a couple of years ago amongst one of the finest sporting moments I've ever seen, and I don't even really like hockey that much.

Fushida
03-08-2012, 11:22 AM
I counted 7 on the field at one point.

heard louder cheers for those airplanes than for the game. maybe its the 500 level mentality for the casuals but that was just sad. i mean, paper airplanes? fucking kidding me?

ryan
03-08-2012, 11:24 AM
My comments were not meant to belittle last night's spectacle. That was one of the, if not the most exciting sporting events in this city that I've experienced ever. We're definitely moving forward and making gains, no question about that. I just would like to see more of a culture change in the non supporter type.

My overall point is that the majority of fans last night weren't as tuned into the game as I personally would want them to be. When I watch a match in Europe, or in any "Football 1st" nation, the crowd understands the game. They all react to foul calls, they react to their players working hard for kicks/corners, they react to everything.

I felt last night the "majority" reacted to the goals for and against...and beckham, to a lesser degree Keane/Donovan. Otherwise, it didn't sound like 50K people were reacting.

I think the noise level and attention brought to the repeated paper airplanes backs my point up. You have a massive football match in front of your eyes, amazing experience all around and you stop paying attention to scream for garbage floating to the pitch? Then you do it a couple more times?

Are you really that disinterested in following the flow of the game? Are goals the only thing of interest in a soccer match to the non supporter?

I hope my point and tone isn't lost in how I'm trying to say it.

tfcleeds
03-08-2012, 11:24 AM
Also, the last day of the regular season in baseball this past year. And Game 6 of the World Series.

Joe Kool
03-08-2012, 11:26 AM
Yeah i saw someone selling david beckham shirts outside the skydome after the game. I was like huh are you serious. Im amazed his shit didn't get stolen and burned.

Yeah I saw that person too and I told her "Are you serious? $10 for that. You would have to pay me $10 to take that from you." She then said "You were the one that paid to see him." Ahhh...such ignorance. She had alot of nerve standing out there like that and I wasn't the only heckler by a longshot.

Went home after the game and put on the pregame show and see a few of the replays I wanted to see. I can't believe how many times Beckham's face was on the broadcast. They had one interview after the game and it was Beckham. Sportsnet should be absolutely ashamed for that. Makes me sick.

Nothing against Beckham personally or his abilities but I think I had enough of Beckham-mania for now. I am sure next week's broadcast will be equally one-sided as well.

Anyhow...rant over.

tfcleeds
03-08-2012, 11:29 AM
At least that's it for the Beckham love-fest for this year. LA don't play us at BMO this year, thank goodness.

Whoop
03-08-2012, 11:29 AM
I think yesterday was a case of the "cost of doing business".

Yesterday was more of an event than a match for a lot of the people in the stadium last night.

But in the end, the electricity generated by yesterday's match will only benefit TFC and the game in the city down the road.

Everyone wants to sprint to the finish line but it's a marathon not a 40 yard dash.

eustacchio
03-08-2012, 11:30 AM
I think yesterday was a case of the "cost of doing business".

Yesterday was more of an event than a match for a lot of the people in the stadium last night.

But in the end, the electricity generated by yesterday's match will only benefit TFC and the game in the city down the road.

Everyone wants to sprint to the finish line but it's a marathon not a 40 yard dash.

Exactly.

KRO
03-08-2012, 11:36 AM
Where I was sitting in the 200 level last night the level of support and football knowledge was much better than I expected. The game in general but particularly the first 20 minutes was one of the best football atmospheres that I have ever experienced.

Now TFC has to build on this by being a successful team..

__wowza
03-08-2012, 11:45 AM
What are you talking about? You're going to start with the North American sports are dumb debate?

Almost 48 000 people at the dome watching TFC and it somehow becomes an "us vs. them" thing. Sad.

really, does my opinion have the power to cause debate?
i dont think it does.. at least a debate worth having. we're entitled to our opinions and that ones mine, i don't want to debate it with anyone cause they're entitled to theirs. there's only two sports i watch, hockey and football proper. my argument was related more to the fact that as leagues focus on "scoring = excitement!" rule changes, you'll have less memorable moments. again, i watched the bruins face the leafs and i/the people i was with believed a 3 goal conversion in the course of 5 minutes was a high possibility, especially when the leafs had taken 55 minutes up until that point to score 4.

i'm not suggesting it's us vs. them, you're the one that said that. again, stating an opinion.

james
03-08-2012, 11:48 AM
i couldn't make it to the game and wish i could have made it, the banners and flags and streamers looked amazing, it looked like a game being played in south America or big club in Germany, looks fantastic. As far as from seeing on TV and some youtube videos it was actually hard to here fans singing proper TFC chants as it seems some fans were just screaming and yelling random things through out the whole game many didn't have a clue what they were screaming for or what to say, also seems some fans chanting those typical North American " 2-3 word chants" over and over again. Other then that tho it looked amazing to be at very loud atmosphere!

Fort York Redcoat
03-08-2012, 11:48 AM

Guys. It's opinion. Obviously you're going to find a Footy biased preference on a Football message board.

And we're in NA. There are more people on this message board that watch additional sports than probably anywhere else in the world.

Last night was a celebration of a coming of age for footy in this town. Of course we saw a large number of niave atitudes but I'd rather take that as an unprecedented opportunity of introduction to a different kind of support in large numbers.

__wowza
03-08-2012, 11:50 AM
That's an absurd statement.

There's no need to turn into as someone else put it "us vs them" debate.

ugh. again. when i make it an "us vs. them" debate, i'll let you guys know. i was using soccer as an example to state an opinion of how high scoring doesn't equal fantastical action, and that i deplore the addition of rules to balance that compromise the integrity of the game so that you can watch players score more.

Chris Wren
03-08-2012, 11:52 AM
It should have been an event for everyone, because that's what it was.

People really need to mellow out. Take a step back and see that there was a full stadium with a great atmosphere. People were having fun, and there's nothing wrong with that.

I've been to BMO when people cheered at squirrels, Bitchy, girls to take their tops off, guys to take their tops off, rival fans, each other, guys with ponytails, guys wearing suits, lawn girls, ball boys, the sun coming out... paper airplanes is no big deal. It's actually something that happens at the Rogers Centre quite frequently.

Whoop
03-08-2012, 11:54 AM
really, does my opinion have the power to cause debate?
i dont think it does.. at least a debate worth having. we're entitled to our opinions and that ones mine, i don't want to debate it with anyone cause they're entitled to theirs. there's only two sports i watch, hockey and football proper. my argument was related more to the fact that as leagues focus on "scoring = excitement!" rule changes, you'll have less memorable moments. again, i watched the bruins face the leafs and i/the people i was with believed a 3 goal conversion in the course of 5 minutes was a high possibility, especially when the leafs had taken 55 minutes up until that point to score 4.

i'm not suggesting it's us vs. them, you're the one that said that. again, stating an opinion.

Again, that's an opinion not a fact. And I could argue that you're incorrect.

And as for the second point, you made the point.

north americans always make jokes about low scores and ties in soccer, but the skill involved in scoring is downright absurd.

Thereby implying North Americans can't appreciate soccer because of the skill. I'd argue that Landon Donovan's goal last night was more of a case of ping-pong than actual skill.

Soccer fans in North America have to get over this notion that if someone doesn't like their sport everybody else is stupid, just like Canadian hockey fans who degrade Americans for being stupid for not loving their sport.

If someone else thinks it stupid or doesn't like it, there's no need to force them to like it.

Just enjoy it. If it's a niche sport in North America for the time being, so be it.

Roogsy
03-08-2012, 11:54 AM
I've been to BMO when people cheered [...] girls to take their tops off, [...] It's actually something that happens at the Rogers Centre quite frequently.

Magical. :hump:

Gazza
03-08-2012, 11:57 AM
Snobby bitch thread after a record-breaking night. Wonderful.

Whoop
03-08-2012, 11:58 AM
ugh. again. when i make it an "us vs. them" debate, i'll let you guys know. i was using soccer as an example to state an opinion of how high scoring doesn't equal fantastical action, and that i deplore the addition of rules to balance that compromise the integrity of the game so that you can watch players score more.

You also threw in basketball and football in the mix.

Like FYR, yesterday was great and if you thought you were going to get 45,000 hardcore soccer supporters in the stadium last night then you would be naive. Even in other parts of the world you don't get 45,000 hardcore supporters in a stadium.

Matches are still events and, sure while, the knowledge of the game might be at a slightly higher level, you're still going to get people in the stands who don't care about the action on the pitch.

jabbronies
03-08-2012, 12:00 PM
I can understand why some fans attention may have wandered to the paper airplanes on the field. There were moments in the game - mainly the second half - that were dull and dry. I think for the most part the majority of the stadium was tuned in.

In a North American soccer crowd of 45K, it would be ignorant to assume that everyone would be as into the game as we supporters would like. I think the first step is to appreciate that 45K even showed up.

Based on where I was sitting and the reaction of those around and below me (238) - I would also confidently say that at least 25-30K were actually into the game (This is solely based on crowd reaction to the small things that were going on during the game)

Couchy81
03-08-2012, 12:02 PM

OH it got burned all right

http://youtu.be/SaAjPq26RUY

Pigfynn
03-08-2012, 12:04 PM
I count Crosby's late winner against the US to win the gold a couple of years ago amongst one of the finest sporting moments I've ever seen, and I don't even really like hockey that much.

Agreed,

I do not enjoy watching or even hearing about hockey, but that was as memorable a sporting moment as you'll ever see.

brad
03-08-2012, 12:11 PM
In reading this thread, I can't help but wonder how many people in this city that are now full blown TFC/footie fans started that journey by walking into BMO as a casual to enjoy the event/spectacle. Personally, I know quiet a few myself.

I suspect that last night converted more than a few people to our team and the beautiful game, and that is a big win.

Darlofletch
03-08-2012, 12:14 PM
was in 237, crowd was more into it than I would have guessed. also saw very little obvious beckham love.

sound was wierd. I could see that the supporters section was clearly very loud, but could barely hear a thing. the anthem for example, couldn't hear you guys at all.

billyfly
03-08-2012, 12:16 PM
heard louder cheers for those airplanes than for the game. maybe its the 500 level mentality for the casuals but that was just sad. i mean, paper airplanes? fucking kidding me?

That's where I was sitting. 500s.

The best part is teh Dad with the 4 young kids (no more than 9yrs I would think) that were dropping the f word.

"This is our house, get the f**k out"

billyfly
03-08-2012, 12:17 PM
Fergie was right, Beckham is shite.

james
03-08-2012, 12:18 PM
was in 237, crowd was more into it than I would have guessed. also saw very little obvious beckham love.

sound was wierd. I could see that the supporters section was clearly very loud, but could barely hear a thing. the anthem for example, couldn't hear you guys at all.

ya same on TV you couldn't make out the chants but could tell it was very loud. Must say TFC support weakness has always been getting fans to sing together, not have 3 different chants going at one time. I'm not sure if that was the case last night i was not there, but wouldn't be suprised if that did happen.

MarkEightThree
03-08-2012, 12:19 PM
I don't think it's expected that everyone be hardcore supporters of the team, it's just aggravating when you're trying to enjoy the match and people around you have an 'ughhh why am I here' or 'this is stupid' attitude. The sad part is they're the ones getting drunk [or bored] and being the most vocal about it, so instead of TFC-related chants you mostly hear sarcastic cat-calls or chants.

Whoop
03-08-2012, 12:24 PM
Was like that even in the supporters section.

Joe Kool
03-08-2012, 12:35 PM
In reading this thread, I can't help but wonder how many people in this city that are now full blown TFC/footie fans started that journey by walking into BMO as a casual to enjoy the event/spectacle. Personally, I know quiet a few myself.

I suspect that last night converted more than a few people to our team and the beautiful game, and that is a big win.

I had talked a few a people into going that weren't all that interested and so far one of them has called me this morning to ask what would be the best way to get tickets to more games or even a half season. I would definitely say that might have happened to a few others.

TFC07
03-08-2012, 12:37 PM
I don't know what some people are talking about here, but Beckham got booed and a lot people in my section (143 and pretty much rest of section under big tv screen board) were into the game (even chanting) and actually standing up throughout the game. I only saw couple of kids with Beckham jerseys. I would 99% people were rooting for TFC.

__wowza
03-08-2012, 12:41 PM
Please do. It's awfully confusing for us simpletons to read and interpret the information.

You also threw in basketball and football in the mix.

alright, im gonna attempt to bury this. that may be what i said/how i came across, etc. but it's not what i meant, which counts for a lot on a message board. its all we have to go by here, so it's not like i can say i intended it to read different. if it's how it came across, its how it came across, but it's not what i meant. i'll honestly try to clairfy, then i suggest we just move on.

i wasn't trying to run other sports into the ground as much as i was using them to explain the concept that a lower score or a tie means the game sucked. they made a joke about it on the simpsons when promoting soccer that went "..lower scores, and ties? you betcha!" and from my experience, explaining to someone a game ended 1-0 or 2-2 is met with a resounding "meh!", moreso than if i say it ended 5-4. a game of soccer would consider a 6-2 scoreline as a "goalfest" whereas with hockey it would be considered "just another day at the ACC when boston is in town" :D

i dont consider anyone who doesn't follow soccer "stupid" and im wasnt trying to run them into the ground, even if i came across like that, it wasn't what i intended. just because i dont follow a few other sports doesnt degrade them at all, i just dont get the appeal to them as much as i do with soccer or hockey. kinda like how i don't know watch glee, it doesn't mean i think people who watch glee are stupid, it's just not my thing.

opinions aside, and in hindsight, saying something like memorable moments in other sports was a pretty pointed statement, and i'll retract that speaking as an outsider looking in. im running on 5 hours of sleep, a hangover, and coffee, so its not a statement i can/would care to defend.

please accept this .gif of a woman being knocked out by a robotic bull as a token of my apology, and im not being sarcastic, i re-read what i wrote and can understand why i came across like that.

http://chzgifs.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/funny-gifs-ride-the-bull.gif

Fort York Redcoat
03-08-2012, 12:47 PM
please accept this .gif of a woman being knocked out by a robotic bull as a token of my apology, and im not being sarcastic, i re-read what i wrote and can understand why i came across like that.

http://chzgifs.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/funny-gifs-ride-the-bull.gif

Best gift I got all day! Cheers!

nascarguy
03-08-2012, 12:48 PM
Old man yells at cloud
yeah I know king dave does that alot

tfcleeds
03-08-2012, 12:51 PM
In all fairness wowza, I did get what you meant about the viewing mentality being different in soccer than it perhaps is in other sports. When my team is down 2-0 in a soccer match with 20 mins. to go, my outlook as a fan and a viewer is a lot different than it would be if my team was 2-0 down in a hockey game with 20 mins. left. Which is what I think you were trying to get across in some ways.

Toronto_Bhoy
03-08-2012, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by Jack
Considering the fact that this is only half a decade in, I'd say last night was a roaring success. There will always be people at matches who aren't as into the game as others, but to see a turnout like that in Toronto was really something. The atmosphere inside the stadium was amazing and the support was pretty damn good. The general noise level was high and, as I walked around the stadium on my way to my section (yes, yes, I was late ), the buzz was electric.

It's fine to have high expectations, but guys, this is the 6th year of this team in Toronto. You can't expect people to have as much knowledge about the team, or the same level of passion, as the supporters on this and other message boards.

Last night was a huge milestone for TFC and the sport in this city. This is not a sprint.

Bang on Jack! What a tremendous evening!

I had a young family in front of me. Dad, Mom and the kids. They were a "hockey family" but thought they'd check it out because its was an affordable family night out. They had never been to a game and the kids don't even play soccer. THEY LOVED IT!!! The whole family!

Dad said that it was the most fun he had had at a sporting event (sans Grey Cups/NFL tailgates) in years. To move forward TFC need nights and new fans like that. Not the footie snobs I know that crap all over TFC/MLS.

At halftime Daddy comes back with 5 TFC caps! When the game ended, I asked if the had a good time and Mom said, "Awesome! We'll be back for sure!"

Chris Wren
03-08-2012, 12:55 PM
I already deleted my post, because I felt I didn't need to make a snide remark.

I will say that your opinion is your perception, but not one shared by me, a North American sports fan. I like both high and low scoring games. One of the most exciting baseball games I ever saw was game 7 of the '91 World Series, when Minnesota beat Atlanta 1-0 in 10 innings.

My point is that some people have an opinion of what a soccer fan is supposed to be, but last night there was 48 000 people and a great time. So it doesn't matter what people think should be there.

It's all good.

The woman being knocked out is slightly disturbing, but appreciated.

Sorry, this post was directed at Wowza.

Whoop
03-08-2012, 01:07 PM
Best gift I got all day! Cheers!

Seconded!

Belfast_Boy
03-08-2012, 01:10 PM
Considering the fact that this is only half a decade in, I'd say last night was a roaring success. There will always be people at matches who aren't as into the game as others, but to see a turnout like that in Toronto was really something. The atmosphere inside the stadium was amazing and the support was pretty damn good. The general noise level was high and, as I walked around the stadium on my way to my section (yes, yes, I was late :( ), the buzz was electric.

QFT!

where's the "Stop your bitching thread?"

what's with the negative shit after such a big game? we just had a huge accomplishment for TFC and the supporters.

so what if there's a lot of newbies? we all didn't come out of the womb understanding the offside rule and the disadvantages of a 4 4 2.

tfcleeds
03-08-2012, 01:15 PM

I had a young family in front of me. Dad, Mom and the kids. They were a "hockey family" but thought they'd check it out because its was an affordable family night out. They had never been to a game and the kids don't even play soccer. THEY LOVED IT!!! The whole family!

Dad said that it was the most fun he had had at a sporting event (sans Grey Cups/NFL tailgates) in years. To move forward TFC need nights and new fans like that. Not the footie snobs I know that crap all over TFC/MLS.

At halftime Daddy comes back with 5 TFC caps! When the game ended, I asked if the had a good time and Mom said, "Awesome! We'll be back for sure!"

Love hearing stuff like this.

Fushida
03-08-2012, 01:15 PM
That's where I was sitting. 500s.

The best part is teh Dad with the 4 young kids (no more than 9yrs I would think) that were dropping the f word.

"This is our house, get the f**k out"

i had a similar experience, i feel your pain :P

__wowza
03-08-2012, 01:26 PM
no worries, i read everything on the boards with rose tinted glasses, so it didnt come across as snide.

also.. probably shouldnt have posted that .gif on womans day. *tugs collar* ahem.. gettin kinda warm in here..

Whoop
03-08-2012, 01:27 PM
no worries, i read everything on the boards with rose tinted glasses, so it didnt come across as snide.

also.. probably shouldnt have posted that .gif on womans day. *tugs collar* ahem.. gettin kinda warm in here..

Don't worry.

That .gif is funny if it's a man or a woman. LOL

Pigfynn
03-08-2012, 01:40 PM

Great story.

This is a good thing and partly what last night was about. We celebrated our club with the city and to some extent, the country. This club needs casual support as much as it needs ours. Making fans out of non soccer lovers will not only help grow our club's following and fanbase but, also grow the game of soccer at the grass roots level as well.

Let's try to stay positive by remembering that last night WAS special and rare. For those of us who were there in person, I'm sure the memory of it will be with us for as long we are supporters of this team.

The result was tough to take, but really only because of our great start. The team is definitively not the TFC of old. We will be better this year.

There are many things to feel good about.

Juanito
03-08-2012, 01:43 PM
QTF!

where's the "Stop your bitching thread?"

what's with the negative shit after such a big game? we just had a huge accomplishment for TFC and the supporters.

so what if there's a lot of newbies? we all didn't come out of the womb understanding the offside rule and the disadvantages of a 4 4 2.

HA HA HA! Good stuff Mark. I see that is a dig at old Juanito .... :hump:

SERIOUSLY, it was a great night out, it felt great to be at the match. I'll leave it at that!

YES GUY!!!

Whoop
03-08-2012, 01:46 PM
Largest crowd in CCL history to watch two MLS teams play in a knockout stage.

DichioTFC
03-08-2012, 01:54 PM
Glad we're back to bickering again, right where we left off :)

This was a milestone in Canadian soccer history. I bet the first time Leafs / Jays / Raptors played in Toronto to massive crowds, there were similar reactions. As kids grow up and start becoming supporters, as wives and girlfriends start becoming interested in nuances (and finding out what that damn offside rule is all about), the riff-raff will subside and sport will continue to grow. Example: go to a baseball game in New York. All fans are interested and knowledgeable. But that took many, many years to cultivate.

That's what last night was to me. It was something historic, and as important as the match was to all of us, it was almost secondary when taken into the context of the moment.

RC8
03-08-2012, 02:59 PM
A lot of people assume you don't have plastics in big games in countries with a long football tradition, but they couldn't be further from the truth.

I've attended many football games in S. America and in Europe and the way it works is straightforward: stand with the supporters and you'll have a wonderful experience. Sit with the plastics and cringe.

Last night unfortunately I had to sit with the plastics (for the first half anyway). My section at 524b above the supporters' section had been awarded to a group of teenage girls as a 'go see beckham' prize. On my right there was a guy who had never watched a football game before, and behind there was a group of english wankers with chelsea shirts cheering on 'becks'.

However, I led in booing beckham whenever, and a lot of the people in the section followed through. When TFC scored the teenage girls (and their parents) stood up and celebrated.

For the 2nd half I moved to the last row of a section so that I could at least see the supporters downstairs, and STAND UP (how can anyone watch a game sitting down is beyond me). Overall Beckham got 10 boos for every clap. Everyone in the 100 and 200 level seemed to be getting behind the team. The stadium was predominantly red, and the players' reactions reflect this. When LA scored no one around me in 530 celebrated. No one.

Let me put it this way. When you got to a Jays' game you'll still find most people around you are sport-clueless top-40 pizza-pizza slaves. That won't change significantly at TFC. What should change is that the supporters' groups should grow larger and larger and become part of the city's identity. The proportion of plastics at a stadium will decrease, but they will always be there.

P.S. just to be clear, I'm incredibly glad so many people that never saw a game before came over to the dome. When I use the term 'plastics' I use it strictly to refer to those who are a liability to the team when they show up - like the c*** who attend the game with a manU shirt and spend the whole game slagging off the quality of the MLS, come in late, leave early, and boo the team whenever.

Belfast_Boy
03-08-2012, 03:05 PM
not a dig at you bro. just a mid day rant.

Borga
03-08-2012, 03:12 PM
RC8, classic elitist attitude displayed there, exactly why I was turned off joining a supporters group. I love the team, love going to games, but that kind of BS will turn the casuals off. You need casuals because there just aren't enough die-hards to make a team profitable and in this town football is not going to succeed long-term if it isn't profitable.

nxtmike
03-08-2012, 03:27 PM
After Magee's goal about 70% of the crowd engaged in general chit chat and didn't focus on the game for the rest of the half.

THIS ^

i think if the noise was the same in the second half as it was in the first, the result would have been different. I couldn't even start up any chants successfully in 114 after LA got the goal.

RC8
03-08-2012, 03:28 PM
RC8, classic elitist attitude displayed there, exactly why I was turned off joining a supporters group. I love the team, love going to games, but that kind of BS will turn the casuals off. You need casuals because there just aren't enough die-hards to make a team profitable and in this town football is not going to succeed long-term if it isn't profitable.

Mate, I'm a casual for all sports bar-football. I also wouldn't consider myself a hardcore TFC supporter by any means (thousands out there deserve that tag-line more than me)

I don't know anything about hockey at all, yet attend hockey games whenever. Same for baseball. We obviously need all sorts of people at the stadium.

But when I go watch a team I'm not too familiar with I either support the local team or shut up. People who go to the stadium to cheer AGAINST their local team (especially if they don't have an emotional connection at all with the other team beforehand) are the real snobs, in any sport.

Regardless, as I said, most of the stadium were supportive of the team and it was a great historic night as far as I'm concerned.

Furtado91
03-08-2012, 03:37 PM
Oh Shit were you wowza? Sorry bud I was not aware I thought you had gone to the washroom LOL. I was downstairs in the main area meeting up with TOBOR to get my running shirts, and was hanging with pete and my entourage. My girlfriends brother loved the game last night. He used to play back in Poland and he was amazed at the amount of people who showed up for a MLS game.

Next time there's a game ill buy ya a beer cause I feel bad for ditching you like that. Glad to see you were looking much more alive (Not like the banner session, you looked like the reaper we painted no offense. :D)

TOBOR !
03-08-2012, 03:42 PM
^
People who go to the stadium to cheer AGAINST their local team (especially if they don't have an emotional connection at all with the other team beforehand) are the real snobs, in any sport.

s'funny. And maybe it's only in Toronto. But's it's true that there's joy taken by some groups who cheer against the local side. I know people who are glad to see Toronto teams stumble and fall repeatedly, and proudly state so.

They're there again, hoping we don't get awarded things like the Olympics. I wonder if it's because they can't stand to be incovenienced by parades and circuses. Or if they feel better that if they have nothing to celebrate then no-one else should... and they turn up at the events to make sure this is the case.

You don't really have to look much farther than those blowhards on the local radio stations. Maybe this is where these people take their leads from.

gmacpheetfc
03-08-2012, 03:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpYeekQkAdc&ob=av2n

__wowza
03-08-2012, 03:52 PM
Next time there's a game ill buy ya a beer cause I feel bad for ditching you like that. Glad to see you were looking much more alive (Not like the banner session, you looked like the reaper we painted no offense. :D)

i bought you a beer i ended up drinking and my reward is more beer? i know there was a reason i turned on my computer today!!

yeah, i looked/felt like an abortion. glad they enjoyed the game. i went up to the patio cause i was falling asleep and i thought the cold air would help (2 jobs and no sleep'll do that to ya). i just hope my "WHERE'S FUAD?" sign comes up on the fancam.

grizzle
03-08-2012, 04:09 PM

Same

Furtado91
03-08-2012, 04:11 PM
i bought you a beer i ended up drinking and my reward is more beer? i know there was a reason i turned on my computer today!!

yeah, i looked/felt like an abortion. glad they enjoyed the game. i went up to the patio cause i was falling asleep and i thought the cold air would help (2 jobs and no sleep'll do that to ya). i just hope my "WHERE'S FUAD?" sign comes up on the fancam.

LOL. Well hopefully the next game we go to we can plan to hit a bar or something lol

and where do you find the image from the fancam? was there a website or something.

__wowza
03-08-2012, 04:38 PM
^ the TFC website said theyd post it this evening.

Pigfynn
03-08-2012, 05:02 PM
^

s'funny. And maybe it's only in Toronto. But's it's true that there's joy taken by some groups who cheer against the local side. I know people who are glad to see Toronto teams stumble and fall repeatedly, and proudly state so.

They're there again, hoping we don't get awarded things like the Olympics. I wonder if it's because they can't stand to be incovenienced by parades and circuses. Or if they feel better that if they have nothing to celebrate then no-one else should... and they turn up at the events to make sure this is the case.

You don't really have to look much farther than those blowhards on the local radio stations. Maybe this is where these people take their leads from.

It's simple.

It's makes for a much easier life to be cynical and not become emotionally invested in anything. Shouting people, ideas and teams down is so much easier than having to pick yourself and others up constantly as people who actually live life do everyday.

We have a lot of these types around here as does every walk of life. I feel sorry for these people. Missing out on ever really feeling anything and just attacking everything around them to fill some sort of void or make themselves feel safe from disappointment.

One of the major attractions of sport is participating in collective belief, just like in religion it takes the ability to believe even when there isn't a concrete reason to do so.

Cynics will always try to spoil the party. Don't let them.

Doucet3
03-08-2012, 05:05 PM
Snobby bitch thread after a record-breaking night. Wonderful.

It's not a "Snobby Bitch Thread", my view (opinion) is only of the game or as another poster said that some people viewed the game as an event and not a TFC V LAG match.

A snobby bitch thread would be me comming on and slagging our boys for losing a 2-0 lead..., if you didn't like my opinion you could have not read it, I was only pointing out the amount of real fans versus casual fans and people just enjoying an event.

:canada:
:scarf:

Jcm144
03-08-2012, 06:15 PM
From being in section 529, I can tell you that it was silent. I don't know if that was the case for the rest of the 500s? the rest of the stadium other then the 500s seemed vivid

Keyman
03-08-2012, 06:37 PM
ya same on TV you couldn't make out the chants but could tell it was very loud. Must say TFC support weakness has always been getting fans to sing together, not have 3 different chants going at one time. I'm not sure if that was the case last night i was not there, but wouldn't be suprised if that did happen.

I think we underestimated how difficult it would be to unify the supporters section.

There was a lot of background noise in the building, which made it incredibly hard to communicate with anyone 4-5 rows from you. The megaphone couldn't even compete with the noise. Plus, there was no real "central" position from which we could capo. Polish Dave was literally standing on a rail, an inch from falling to his death.

Plus, there were quite a few faces I'd never seen in the section. People who clearly didn't know the chants. That's always a hurdle that's difficult to surmount. There was actually a lot of collaboration amongst the supporters groups though, at least from my perspective.

Whoop
03-08-2012, 06:43 PM
I definitely didn't recognize a lot of faces in the supporters section but then again it seems most RPB were in 117.

TOBOR !
03-08-2012, 07:02 PM
I definitely didn't recognize a lot of faces in the supporters section but then again it seems most RPB were in 117.

Really ? I don't know many RPB by face, but if this.is true then it's somewhat disappointing. I was in 117 and felt the most.part we were struggling to sustain anything. I concluded that the group.must be split between 117, 118, and the south end.

Yeoman
03-08-2012, 07:29 PM
Polish Dave was literally standing on a rail, an inch from falling to his death.

Plus, there were quite a few faces I'd never seen in the section. People who clearly didn't know the chants. That's always a hurdle that's difficult to surmount. There was actually a lot of collaboration amongst the supporters groups though, at least from my perspective.

now now, we both know i had a firm grip on his pants and hand when he was standing on that railing.
but yes there was a ton of faces in there that i didn't know. lots of factors on that part. i just kinda gave up near the end as you could tell. i was seeing that we couldn't get chants to stay in unison between the bloody sections it made me scratch my head

james
03-08-2012, 07:50 PM
ya i dont know why we have such problems getting chants going all together. I see Seattle and Portland on TV and the chants usually seem loud and clear. Me being at games in England to be honest a lot of stadiums can be rather quiet at times these days, most games supporters don't sing for the full 90mins unless its a derby or sometimes a big match, but when they do sing, the whole stadium just erupts together and its loud and clear. When i see TFC on TV or when i am at the game you just here noise, but can't make out what they are singing or chants start going loud and clear but then another group of people start singing something else and just kills it off fast. I really wonder whats wrong with people in Toronto, can we not just sing together?? how do we improve it??

Corcai
03-08-2012, 07:57 PM
I had a great time in 207 last night. In the row behind me to my right there was a chap there explaining the players and atmosphere to his girl. In the row behind me to the Left there was a group of about 8 late teen-early 20's guys whooping it up and enjoying the game. The late teeners were looking at the supporters section and kept saying how they would pay a grand to be in that section for the game (and copying the EA Sports FIFA 2012 commentators with a poor fake english accent all game, fucking hilarious since my buddy with me at the match is from Portsmouth).

The guy wth his GF was really into the play but still seemed to pick out every wrong chant by those outside of the supporters section....i.e "they should be chanting T F C followed by 3 hard claps but these guys are both at the same time". He was pretty spot on for most of his off-side and bookable offense calls as well though.

I wasn't in the bunker but I think everyone who attended had a great time.

kitchener-TFC
03-08-2012, 08:01 PM
Up in 510, the paper planes were flyin'. Beckham and Donovan both got booed from this section, which was nice :). I brought one of my buddies who has never been to a game before, and he cited the paper planes as a lack of respect for the game.

Auzzy
03-08-2012, 08:04 PM
ya i dont know why we have such problems getting chants going all together. I see Seattle and Portland on TV and the chants usually seem loud and clear. Me being at games in England to be honest a lot of stadiums can be rather quiet at times these days, most games supporters don't sing for the full 90mins unless its a derby or sometimes a big match, but when they do sing, the whole stadium just erupts together and its loud and clear. When i see TFC on TV or when i am at the game you just here noise, but can't make out what they are singing or chants start going loud and clear but then another group of people start singing something else and just kills it off fast. I really wonder whats wrong with people in Toronto, can we not just sing together?? how do we improve it??

I think a big part of the problem were the acoustics in the dome. Everything was loud but very unclear. Couple that with regulars spread around in different locations; lots of people who rarely attend and don't know the songs/chants; etc. The general atmosphere was great, especially near the beginning, but after a while all you could really still comprehend were the cheers and the boos. I think people eventually were worn down by the general din -- but I still thought it was great overall.

james
03-08-2012, 09:02 PM
I think a big part of the problem were the acoustics in the dome. Everything was loud but very unclear. Couple that with regulars spread around in different locations; lots of people who rarely attend and don't know the songs/chants; etc. The general atmosphere was great, especially near the beginning, but after a while all you could really still comprehend were the cheers and the boos. I think people eventually were worn down by the general din -- but I still thought it was great overall.

well at BMO field are problem is the stadium is in a very open area with no inclosed corners and no roof the chants can just blow out of the stadium with the wind. I thought the dome we would have great singing, i see the Dome can create different issues tho.

Auzzy
03-08-2012, 09:17 PM
^ I agree about BMO. Hopefully they would design any roof at BMO with acoustics in mind. Don't know if they thought about that much when they built the dome in the late eighties. I saw some huge ratty old mats hanging across the middle of the pitch last night, I suppose that may have been an attempt to control the acoustics...?

sarsippius
03-08-2012, 09:40 PM
Had an amazing time. In 113, so a lot of SSH were there. As far as the Rogers Centre vs. BMO debate goes, someone very wise recently told me that we should be proud of having this one at the Rogers Centre. It quite simply shows how far things have come. Kudos to the Supporters Section - it was an incredible site from distance, looked great on TV and in the replays, and was in full voice from what I could hear.

T.O TILL I DIE
03-09-2012, 12:42 AM
So noone is going to complain about TRN..

Cashcleaner
03-09-2012, 12:58 AM
^ How bad were they?

ginkster88
03-09-2012, 01:21 AM
Really, really bad.

Right behind where I was in 120 and I usually couldn't hear 117 for the racket.

Code Red
03-09-2012, 01:35 AM
The atmosphere last night was incredible and unlike any I've seen so far in TFC's six year existence. Of course this had a lot to do with the game's attendance, roof, and the fact that this was a CONCACAF Champions League quarter-final match but nevertheless, supporters, soccer fans, casuals, (insert your own label here) showed up ready and willing to make it a memorable night. In the end, we were all united as one and created a pretty hostile environment for LA. Home advantage at its finest. Kudos to each and every single supporter in the stands for their contribution (excluding any LA/Beckham fan boys/girls) and as Aron Winter would say "my compliments" to the banner/tifo team for the amazing display.

As for the chants, four of us were in 121 and although it was hard to hear what chants were coming through the 118/119 area, people in our section were doing their best to stay on the same page. Someone mentioned TRN, as cool as it was to have them play their instruments pre-game, I think it would have been best to wrap it up at kick-off. It seemed to drown out the chants quite a bit especially on our side.

Like everyone, would have loved to see TFC win, however, football can be a bitch sometimes. Hopefully the boys can pull off a bit of miracle in LA and send us through to the next round. Won't be easy, but not impossible either.

J .
03-09-2012, 01:47 AM
There was a lot of good to come out of the game. First, the people who did the banners and flags and all that did a great job. It was rather incredible to see all that art put up.

It was always going to be tough to co-ordinate such a large crowd, but we have to remember its the 6th year of existence and I think the fan base is growing, slowly over time certain songs will remain and people will catch on.

A 2-2 draw was a fitting conclusion a lot of great work was put in, a lot remains to be developed. I think in 50 years we will look back on this day as one where the fan base of TFC showed to the world soccer has a place in Toronto.

Couchy81
03-09-2012, 02:31 AM
I think in 50 years we will look back on this day as one where the fan base of TFC showed to the world soccer has a place in Toronto.

Agreed, this was one for the generations.

Cashcleaner
03-09-2012, 02:36 AM
^ One of these days, I really want us to put up a banner with all the anti-soccer rants and dire predictions that guys like Bob McCown or Fred Patterson made about the club when it was first announced in 2006.

Banner team make note of this!

Oldtimer
03-09-2012, 08:20 AM
^ One of these days, I really want us to put up a banner with all the anti-soccer rants and dire predictions that guys like Bob McCown or Fred Patterson made about the club when it was first announced in 2006.

Banner team make note of this!

The best one was the prediction by Bruno Hartrell (owner of the Lynx) that TFC would struggle to have 3,000 people at their matches. :lol:

Honestly, if you had told me in 2006 that we would one day see over 40k at a soccer match that didn't include a Manchester United or a Juve, I would not have believed you. In fact, early predictions on the first RPB board was that we would see 14-15k per match. Enjoy the fact that football is now an established sport in this town. Even the Cathall Kellys and Bob McGowans have to take notice.

The atmosphere was like that of a Jays opener. Most of the crowd at a Jays opener do not appreciate the finer points of baseball. I have no problem with seeing people who are not experts in the game show up for an event like this.

Great to read that there were families there where not only are they not experts, but even the kids don't play soccer. Who would have thought that we'd see people like that at a TFC match? These are exactly the type of people we need to make this sport one of the really big ones in this city.

The future is bright. :scarf:

Ageroo
03-09-2012, 08:29 AM

I still have snare hits beating in my head......although at times when we were doing some of our chants their drummers would on the fly change to help with the beat.......but I wasn't always listening to see if they did it all the time.

flambe
03-09-2012, 08:29 AM

I was referring to the introductions only. At least, that is how it was in my section, 228. agreed though, during the game he was boo'd.

Great night all round though.

TorCanSoc
03-09-2012, 08:36 AM
We're the passionates.

Go to a Leaf's game and name five players after Kessel, Phaneuf, Lupal, Gustavson, and Reimer. I can't do it... and I watch leaf games once a month, the perenial (sp?) casual.

The point is, the casuals have added to the atmosphere with their attendance. Would you want 20,000 of supporters only? The atmosphere would have been different.

Sorry you got stiffed with some duffuss'es in your section, one idiot can ruin a game day experience. A few and you're right to fume over it. I feel worse for you because it was our biggest game in history.

This is live sporting events, sorry.

ginkster88
03-09-2012, 08:39 AM
We're the passionates.

Go to a Leaf's game and name five players after Kessel, Phaneuf, Lupal, Gustavson, and Reimer. I can't do it... and I watch leaf games once a month, the perenial (sp?) casual.

The point is, the casuals have added to the atmosphere with their attendance. Would you want 20,000 of supporters only? The atmosphere would have been different.

Sorry you got stiffed with some duffuss'es in your section, one idiot can ruin a game day experience. A few and you're right to fume over it. I feel worse for you because it was our biggest game in history.

This is live sporting events, sorry.

I could name all of them, Jays and Raptors too :D

__wowza
03-09-2012, 09:12 AM
I still have snare hits beating in my head......although at times when we were doing some of our chants their drummers would on the fly change to help with the beat.......but I wasn't always listening to see if they did it all the time.

i found that at the top of 117 i could barely hear. i dont think the stadium was built for this type of group, the sound didnt travel upwards at all. i was looking at the bottom of 117 and seeing that some of the chants didnt line up with the ones across the gap when people would put their arms and clap..

but then again, if i couldnt hear them 10-20 rows up, making them go in unison across a 20 foot gap would've been pretty fuckin hard.

Chris Wren
03-09-2012, 09:26 AM
I asked this question in another thread about tifos and banners, but now I can't find that thread.

Anyway, the banners looked really great on Wednesday. My question is about the one that was "Fight Together and Make History". It was torn down and passed around. Was this the plan?

It was a cool moment. I wasn't sure if it was because the people couldn't see, or it was by design.

TOBOR !
03-09-2012, 10:14 AM
^ we couldn't pick up the national anthem until it was almost over. I wasn't really aware that the CONCACAF anthem had even played until I watched the players start to shake hands and take their positions.

Maybe the overall crowd buzz drowned out whatever passes for a soundsystem in that building. Plus the acoustics are just plain bad.

TOBOR !
03-09-2012, 10:15 AM
I asked this question in another thread about tifos and banners, but now I can't find that thread.

Anyway, the banners looked really great on Wednesday. My question is about the one that was "Fight Together and Make History". It was torn down and passed around. Was this the plan?

It was a cool moment. I wasn't sure if it was because the people couldn't see, or it was by design.

Not sure about that, but the Toronto FC banner was poorly executed. It ended up getting passed along sideways. FAIL.

TOBOR !
03-09-2012, 10:18 AM

LOL.

They were great for about the first half of the first game against KC back in 2007.

They've been annoying ever since.

Technorgasm
03-09-2012, 10:22 AM
people are still stuck in the "Soccer/Football vs. . every other North american Sport" bullshit.
and it will continue for years and years and years.

makes it better for us. being a footy fanatic in Toronto is like being part of a secret club.

and amazinglty dynamic, exciting, party filled, drunk club.

Detroit_TFC
03-09-2012, 10:27 AM
I saw things that I wasn't happy with, in the supporters section. I could make a list. But, who cares. Overall this was the event we wanted to have (getting the win would have been nice). The Dome is not a soccer stadium, it seemed to me a difficult space to create atmosphere but a lot of people around the league are saying the atmosphere was very good, as shown on the broadcast.

It is what it is. We're not Dortmund or River Plate. As long as we continually try to improve, what more can we do?

Ageroo
03-09-2012, 10:28 AM

I was under the banner...It hung down but did not obstruct our view in the lower level...as far as I could tell

tfcleeds
03-09-2012, 10:31 AM
LOL.

They were great for about the first half of the first game against KC back in 2007.

Perhaps - I'm not often close enough to them to really care one way or the other. Having said that, there is something though about a hot summer's day at BMO, a cold pint in hand, watching footy and having that calypso beat in the background. To each their own, I guess.

tfcleeds
03-09-2012, 10:35 AM
people are still stuck in the "Soccer/Football vs. . every other North american Sport" bullshit.
and it will continue for years and years and years.

makes it better for us. being a footy fanatic in Toronto is like being part of a secret club.

and amazinglty dynamic, exciting, party filled, drunk club.

But should I have been so quick to join a club who would so quickly accept me as a member? ;)

Chris Wren
03-09-2012, 10:38 AM
I was under the banner...It hung down but did not obstruct our view in the lower level...as far as I could tell

I see. Thanks.

Furtado91
03-09-2012, 10:44 AM
I remember posting a photo of a Seattle sounders tifo that was unveiled backwards. and to see that one banner being passed sideways, it reminded me of that. It was defiantly kinda funny to see.

GabrielHurl
03-09-2012, 10:47 AM
Not sure about that, but the Toronto FC banner was poorly executed. It ended up getting passed along sideways. FAIL.

What was a fail was actually passing around the banner as the game was happening

Captain
03-09-2012, 11:02 AM
I was dissapointed to not have the Canadian anthem sung around section 142. We all had our scarves and streamers ready but no anthem. We could see the scarves raised in the supporters section but we couldn't hear a thing. I tried to get it going but everyone around us was busy with a differnet TFC chant which was still great.
Overall the atmosphere in our area was great from start to finish, Most people were really into the game, chanting, singing & cheering. Just a couple of dweebs who were more interested in talking about shopping and partying then the game. I still wonder if those guys know what the final score was or that the game ended.

Commie Red
03-09-2012, 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.O TILL I DIE

LOL.

TRN is annoying at BMO and the main, if not only, reason that the South End can't unite as a real Supporter's section. You have to sit there to really appreciate what a pain in the ass they are. If you ever wonder why section 116 and beyond don't "get into it" -- it's because the chants coming from 111 - 115 can't compete with the four or so dudes entertaining themselves on drums -- oblivious to what is going on on the field. They should be asked to stop or moved next to Section 105 to annoy and drown out visiting supporters -- instead of us.

At the SkyDome, they were BEYOND ANNOYING -- they were headache inducing! In section 118 they drowned out all discussion -- forget chants and songs. The only cheer that remotely gained a head of steam was: "Fuck-the-Drumming!" Thank god they stopped playing in the 2nd half.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
03-09-2012, 01:21 PM
TRN is annoying at BMO and the main, if not only, reason that the South End can't unite as a real Supporter's section. You have to sit there to really appreciate what a pain in the ass they are. If you ever wonder why section 116 and beyond don't "get into it" -- it's because the chants coming from 111 - 115 can't compete with the four or so dudes entertaining themselves on drums -- oblivious to what is going on on the field. They should be asked to stop or moved next to Section 105 to annoy and drown out visiting supporters -- instead of us.

At the SkyDome, they were BEYOND ANNOYING -- they were headache inducing! In section 118 they drowned out all discussion -- forget chants and songs. The only cheer that remotely gained a head of steam was: "Fuck-the-Drumming!" Thank god they stopped playing in the 2nd half.

agreed

TOBOR !
03-09-2012, 02:07 PM

screw that. I'm in 105, but I know what you mean.

I think they have something to offer, but it has to be more subtle. people would get into their schtick and appreciate them a lot more that way.

Less is more.

T.O TILL I DIE
03-09-2012, 02:17 PM
im glad i started a nice debate about TRN :pbjtime:
But yes they were extremly annoying at the dome, i was sitting in 125 and the drumset and that garbage bin drum thing and that other drumthing argghhh they were draining the chants out and noone could get into the chants for more than 5-10 seconds. At BMO i dont sit near TRN but i could imagine how bad it is to hear them a whole soccer match, but on some days i could hear them when i sit near NEE. Something should be done!

jvanpeebles
03-10-2012, 04:26 AM
we had a great time in 109C but had to move as we had 2 kids with us that couldn't see because people in front of them would not sit down. Complained but nothing came of it. 8 tickets purchased and 8 of us had to move. Loved the game and atmospher but if they are ever going to have another game here they have tp work that s#%t out

prizby
03-10-2012, 09:36 AM

They came in a bit later on the Tuesday to set up their stuff...I talked to one or two of them...really nice guys, asked where they were setting up, they said 120, and I knew right away that there were going to be issues.

The Oz
03-10-2012, 09:54 AM

I don't know what section you were in, but in 519 where I was I couldn't HEAR myself over the booing.

Bluenose13
03-10-2012, 10:28 AM
I don't know what section you were in, but in 519 where I was I couldn't HEAR myself over the booing.The boo's from the south end were deafening, that's the same I have heard from others around the stadium.

jazzy
03-10-2012, 11:57 AM
we had a great time in 109C but had to move as we had 2 kids with us that couldn't see because people in front of them would not sit down. Complained but nothing came of it. 8 tickets purchased and 8 of us had to move. Loved the game and atmospher but if they are ever going to have another game here they have tp work that s#%t out

sit in 200 section ,...good view anywhere , and more kid friendly,...but hopefully I never have to watch another game at skydome,...absolute bathtub,...without us the supporters it's a cement hole, AND couldn't make out any singing/chanting, if they ever moved from bmo I'd drop seasons.....it's the reason don't go to Jays games

AL-MO
03-10-2012, 12:01 PM

It was supposed to come down to the 100's and then be dropped down onto the floor in front of the section. Someone decided to pull it along and it ended up on the other side of the stadium.

whyalwaysme11
03-10-2012, 12:08 PM
Yeah a popular comment (that I've heard at BMO as well) is "what is this, Maple Leaf Soccer?" Or when a player mistimes a strike and it sails..."man that guy sucks, take him out"..regardless of who the player is.

agree agree agree to all of this very interesting

whyalwaysme11
03-10-2012, 12:21 PM
sit in 200 section ,...good view anywhere , and more kid friendly,...but hopefully I never have to watch another game at skydome,...absolute bathtub,...without us the supporters it's a cement hole, AND couldn't make out any singing/chanting, if they ever moved from bmo I'd drop seasons.....it's the reason don't go to Jays games

i keep saying this and no one seems to agree with me
i have watched 4 games at the dome all of them were shite cause of the layout and size --- reminds me of the olympic stadium in Torino... look what juve did now with their new stadium they changed the atmosphere of the game. the only thing that made this one decent was us all sitting together and i actually like the beer can idea but only cause the girls serving the beer couldn't mess up the pour...
and the dome for the jays game is fine... that is not the reason why people don't go to jays games.

habstfc
03-10-2012, 02:22 PM
That was one of the greatest nights in my life. I've seen playoff games at the old montreal forum and at the bell centre but that atmosphere wdnesday night was unbelievable.... That is all.

Pookie
03-10-2012, 02:26 PM
Going back to the general theme in this thread... over 47,000 fans came to see TFC play a mid-week game in March.

I'd say that we took a good step forward towards meeting our Charter Objectives:

Article 2 - Objectives.
The Red Patch Boys will support Toronto FC. We will encourage development of the sport in the country of Canada. We will encourage membership in the Red Patch Boys and participation in its events.

... no?

Growing support isn't going to come without some frustrations and challenges.

JavierMartini
03-10-2012, 03:45 PM
the "fight" banner obstructed views on the 2nd deck. hence it being taken down

whyalwaysme11
03-10-2012, 05:38 PM
Going back to the general theme in this thread... over 47,000 fans came to see TFC play a mid-week game in March.

I'd say that we took a good step forward towards meeting our Charter Objectives:

Article 2 - Objectives.
The Red Patch Boys will support Toronto FC. We will encourage development of the sport in the country of Canada. We will encourage membership in the Red Patch Boys and participation in its events.

... no?

Growing support isn't going to come without some frustrations and challenges.

great post Pookie

Today I went to longos to pick up some stuff and decided to go to real sports to check out the new away jersey and i bought this tfc baby outfit for a leeds united fan who i work with he just moved to toronto from the uk and his wife just had a baby a couple of weeks ago i am going to put it on his desk monday morning before he gets in it was only 25 bucks after our 15%... gonna try to bring him to the season opener as well... i must convert him into a RPB.

Wull
03-10-2012, 06:19 PM
It wasn't perfect but it was a magnificent night, score aside. I had a bunch of first timers with me in 122 and by the second go around of every song they were all into it, jumping, cheering, booing and actually caring! I have a list the length of my arm of people who want to come back or bring others next time. This was the night where this club came of age. It's bigger than an mlse afterthought, it's bigger than just an mls franchise. It's a part of Toronto culture now and both ourselves and the club have a duty to build on that whether it be at a match or in the media

AL-MO
03-10-2012, 08:29 PM
the "fight" banner obstructed views on the 2nd deck. hence it being taken down

Nope. It was our pre-match tifo. It was taken down as planned shortly before the kickoff.

There were some sections that came up above the railing in the 200 level, but noone's view was 'obstructed' as the game had not yet started.

Chris Wren
03-10-2012, 08:33 PM
It was supposed to come down to the 100's and then be dropped down onto the floor in front of the section. Someone decided to pull it along and it ended up on the other side of the stadium.

Great idea. Too bad it didn't work out the way you planned it, but it was still cool.

james
03-11-2012, 08:54 PM

ya seen that happen to banners before at BMO field and even at some NHL games in recent years like the Canada flag banner, fans think its like the wave where you have to try and pass it all the away around the stadium for as long and as many times as possible, but like the wave, not everyone wants to join in so the banners always end upside down or sideways by the end of it.