PDA

View Full Version : Concrete slab falls at Olympic Stadium parking lot

kodiakTFC
03-04-2012, 10:51 PM
http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/6249213.bin
http://images.ctv.ca/archives/CTVNews/img2/20120304/800_big_o_120304_430241.jpg?2

MONTREAL — Nobody was hurt when a massive chunk of concrete fell from the roof of the parking lot at the Olympic Stadium around 3:20 p.m. Sunday.

The chunk, which measures approximately 25 by 45 feet (eight by 15 metres), tumbled from a ceiling section that sits between two concrete beams at the entrance ramp of the parking lot at 3200 Viau.

Firefighters expressed concern that the weight of the fallen concrete could cause a secondary collapse of the ceiling of the second lot below.
"We're making sure that nobody goes around the site and the Olympic Installations Board called an engineer to come and make sure that everything is okay at the scene," said Benoit Brouillard Montreal Fire Department Operations Chief.

The stadium has been closed winters for several years now as fears of ice accumulating on the roof of the structure have led to fears of a roof collapse.

The collapse occurs in the midst of much discussion on how to re-purpose the Olympic Stadium and increase its usage during the winter months.

The Montreal Impact has been heavily promoting its first MLS home game at the stadium, set for March 17. There is no word as of yet on whether this latest development will require any scheduling change.

Brooker
03-04-2012, 10:55 PM
Well, I suppose being drunk at a TFC game is a good way to die.

Bring it on.

Whoop
03-04-2012, 10:59 PM
Again?

Didn't a slab fall there about a decade ago, from the actual stadium?

Montreal has construction issues.

Don't drive under a bridge!

Oldtimer
03-04-2012, 11:04 PM
Organized crime was heavily involved in Quebec construction for the longest time. I think there's been an enquiry going on into this.

kodiakTFC
03-04-2012, 11:04 PM
Again?

Didn't a slab fall there about a decade ago, from the actual stadium?

Montreal has construction issues.

Don't drive under a bridge!

I lived there for four years (06-10) and here is what I recollect.

1. Highway bridge collapsed.
2. Cracks in McGill and Peel metro celings
3. Piece of hotel fell of the side of the building and crushed a couple eating outside.
4. Big O roof issues

Since I've left

5. Massive piece of underground tunnel ceiling fell onto the highway below, no one hurt but if this was during rush hour.. jesus.
6. Big O parking lot collapse

Probably missed some but Quebec is in dire need of some help.

kodiakTFC
03-04-2012, 11:06 PM
Organized crime was heavily involved in Quebec construction for the longest time. I think there's been an enquiry going on into this.

I've heard some crazy stories about the mob and how they would extort money from the government during the construction of the Big O.

Cement trucks would drive in, they would be tallied and marked for payment, the truck would drive out of the building and back around before being tallied a second time and finally dropping off the cement.

rocker
03-04-2012, 11:46 PM
This is going to be a metaphor for the Impact's season...

TFC/Everton
03-05-2012, 12:15 AM

Bring it on.

Here. Here.

Cashcleaner
03-05-2012, 12:36 AM

Unfortunately, they've been heavily involved in the courts and municipal politics for the longest time too.

Quebec: Corrupt as fuck, but don't ever tell them that or they'll whine about it for weeks and blame someone else.

Beach_Red
03-05-2012, 09:45 AM

Montreal had a series of huge construction jobs through the 60s, starting with the Champlain Bridge, Expo 67, the Metro, the Expressway system culminating with the Olympics - they were all on deadlines and money was being thrown around. Yes, the mob got heavily involved (added to this, most of the police force's anti-organized crime personel were reassigned to anti-terrorism through most of the the 60s up to the October Crisis in 1970). Really, from a mob point of view you couldn't have planned it any better.

Still, this is why I'm glad Toronto didn't get the Olympics because it's naive to think that the mob didn't move to Toronto along with the rest of the businesses since '76.

We need a Sopranos-style show set in Montreal during the 60s - The Sopranos meets Mad Men.

brad
03-05-2012, 09:49 AM
Good thing our construction standards in Toronto are so high....
http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1033063--glass-falls-off-building-for-the-5th-time-closes-part-of-bay-st

Roogsy
03-05-2012, 10:09 AM
http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1033063--glass-falls-off-building-for-the-5th-time-closes-part-of-bay-st

The glass issue does not seem to be a construction or quality standard problem, it seems to be a design flaw.

tfcleeds
03-05-2012, 10:10 AM
This is going to be a metaphor for the Impact's season...

I'd like to believe this will be the case.

brad
03-05-2012, 10:18 AM
The glass issue does not seem to be a construction or quality standard problem, it seems to be a design flaw.

Is that the case? I thought a lot of it had to do with developers cutting corners and importing cheaper less durable glass (maybe not on the article that that I posted but in some of the new build condo cases that have been happening recently).

Roogsy
03-05-2012, 10:19 AM
I can't remember where I read it, but I thought I had seen that the developers were going to redesign the frame that holds the glass? Dunno...that may have just been PR.

Waggy
03-05-2012, 10:40 AM
Is that the case? I thought a lot of it had to do with developers cutting corners and importing cheaper less durable glass (maybe not on the article that that I posted but in some of the new build condo cases that have been happening recently).

Dunno if that's really a comparable. That happened a few times and was fixed. It hasn't happened in quite a while. And someone could have gotten hurt, but parts of bridges and tunnels collapsing regularly is a FAR far bigger problem and waaaaaaaaayyy more dangerous. And WAY harder to fix, or rationalize.

Roogsy
03-05-2012, 10:50 AM
I think quality and cheapness is always a concern, pretty much anywhere in this world, Toronto included. That's why you have to have oversight.

However, in Quebec the problem seems to be more acute and delves far deeper into the recesses of corruption and organized crime.

james
03-05-2012, 10:53 AM
back in mid 90s i remember speakers falling from a section of the sky dome durring a blue jays game and some people got injured.

The big O is barely used so they probably haven't been keeping up on construction issues.

Beach_Red
03-05-2012, 11:05 AM
I think quality and cheapness is always a concern, pretty much anywhere in this world, Toronto included. That's why you have to have oversight.

However, in Quebec the problem seems to be more acute and delves far deeper into the recesses of corruption and organized crime.

Yes, like I said, you need a convergence of circumstances for that kind of corruption to take root. If Toronto got the Olympics and decided on a massive subway expansion and huge infrastructure building at the same time then the same thing would happen here (it helps to throw in a terrorists group planting bombs and kidnapping people but the mob usually finds a way ;)).

stugautz
03-05-2012, 11:11 AM
From the Montreal Gazette:

Dinh Khai Vo, a retired structural engineer, said the cave-in was likely caused by excessive weight related to construction work on the soccer stadium.

Construction crews should have installed a temporary beam to support the additional weight, he said. "There is no other obvious cause."

Dinh said the collapse should not lead the public to worry about the safety of the stadium since a construction error is likely to blame.

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/Fallen+concrete+slab+Olympic+Stadium+parking+adds+ safety+worries/6249123/story.html#ixzz1oG91c3TX

james
03-05-2012, 11:11 AM
Montreal had a series of huge construction jobs through the 60s, starting with the Champlain Bridge, Expo 67, the Metro, the Expressway system culminating with the Olympics - they were all on deadlines and money was being thrown around. Yes, the mob got heavily involved (added to this, most of the police force's anti-organized crime personel were reassigned to anti-terrorism through most of the the 60s up to the October Crisis in 1970). Really, from a mob point of view you couldn't have planned it any better.

Still, this is why I'm glad Toronto didn't get the Olympics because it's naive to think that the mob didn't move to Toronto along with the rest of the businesses since '76.

We need a Sopranos-style show set in Montreal during the 60s - The Sopranos meets Mad Men.

Quebec had a big Hells angels problem as well, over 150 gang members got killed from both sides in the war against rival bikers Rock Machine in the mid to late 90's. Mobsters in Montreal had many ties with Hells Angels. Hells Angels then spread out to Ontario, how many biker gangs are in South Ontario im not sure but they deffinitly have some different chapters in places like London, Ontario and Toronto area. Today im not sure how much control the mobsters still have over Montreal as Nick Rizzuto and his god father both got murdered in recent years while Vito Rizzuto has been in jail for quite some time. Not sure if other gangs in Montreal are trying to take over or if its just anoter mob family trying to take over control of the city.

jazzy
03-05-2012, 11:19 AM

Bring it on.

guys that says it all......just don'twound me

jloome
03-05-2012, 11:24 AM

My mum lived in Montreal from '58 to '65. It was a hell of a town; celebs used to hang out there on days off.

You should write it as a two-hour pilot. Worth a pitch, all neon and thin lapels.

james
03-05-2012, 11:38 AM

a show like Boardwalk Empire would be the best example. They have had many movies based on New York and Chicago mobsters, i think plenty Mobster crime has happened in Montreal its about time they made a movie or show based on the Montreal gangsters. I think it would be cool to see.

Red Rat
03-05-2012, 11:51 AM
Montreal wanted to blow up the Big O but advocates said that it will be impossible to blow it up since so much concrete was used???
Think again

Rudi
03-05-2012, 12:16 PM
Montreal wanted to blow up the Big O but advocates said that it will be impossible to blow it up since so much concrete was used???
Think again
They can't implode it because there are two metro stations directly below.

The Big Owe would have to be taken apart piece-by-piece, which obviously causes labour costs to skyrocket. It's actually cheaper to keep it standing.

Waggy
03-05-2012, 12:31 PM
They can't implode it because there are two metro stations directly below.

The Big Owe would have to be taken apart piece-by-piece, which obviously causes labour costs to skyrocket. It's actually cheaper to keep it standing.

Couldn't they do like what MSG is doing? Basically rebuild the stadium from the inside out? Turn a 60 000 hole in the ground into a 40 000 legit stadium? It'd cost a lot but if they cant tear it down better than turning into an albatross like the Memorial Aud in Buffalo that's still half standing

Carefree
03-05-2012, 02:53 PM

There was one in the early 90s in French called Montréal Ville ouverte, though it was set in the 40s and 50s. It dealt mostly with organized crime's involvement in the prostitution trade (which was HUGE in Mtl back then) and how police eventually shut down the red-light district.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104913/

There was another one in the late 90s called Omerta that was more Soprano-like: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omerta_(TV_series)
I heard it was very good but I never watched it. This was around the time when I moved to Toronto and wasn't keeping up with Quebec television.

Organized crime has always been a big theme in Quebec TV and cinema.

Roogsy
03-05-2012, 05:19 PM
Couldn't they do like what MSG is doing? Basically rebuild the stadium from the inside out? Turn a 60 000 hole in the ground into a 40 000 legit stadium? It'd cost a lot but if they cant tear it down better than turning into an albatross like the Memorial Aud in Buffalo that's still half standing

That's brutal.

billyfly
03-05-2012, 05:23 PM
How will they take the CN Tower down if they ever have to?

That's what I wanna know.

Oldtimer
03-05-2012, 06:09 PM

Probably controlled implosion (the same way the Lakeview Generating Station in Mississauga was taken down).

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/2d/4_sisters_vwx.jpg/200px-4_sisters_vwx.jpg

jazzy
03-05-2012, 06:56 PM

this glass issue is a building code flaw.....unlike Europe , even in Chicago where a higher standard of tempered glass is the code in the new construction. Therefore all the condo/office towers never get the higher quality glass due to the typical north american nondemand for quality. Especially when there is the almighty dollar to be reaped, in this conservative hard edged political environment......cut costs at any expense.

West220Side
03-05-2012, 07:39 PM

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_hOZscfxIi_o/TUNN1bpKvhI/AAAAAAAAAPk/CglT0LXp8bo/s1600/jenga.jpg

jaahuuu
03-06-2012, 10:10 AM

I'd guess a skycrane and a plasma torch.

Roogsy
03-06-2012, 10:11 AM
I am guessing the same way they put it up.

Helicopter!

Red Rat
03-06-2012, 12:33 PM

well since we live in Toronto and we all know that architecture has a 25 year life span, we should be able to watch this happen

Ageroo
03-06-2012, 12:45 PM
Probably controlled implosion (the same way the Lakeview Generating Station in Mississauga was taken down).

Please no thank you....I work close enough. Don't need it going wrong and falling on me.

Roogsy
03-06-2012, 12:46 PM
Please no thank you....I work close enough. Don't need it going wrong and falling on me.

I am sure your hair will protect you. :D

Ageroo
03-06-2012, 12:48 PM
I am sure your hair will protect you. :D

Shaved head now bro....come on now! I have lost the powers of the hawk! :(

drewski
03-06-2012, 02:50 PM
I can't remember where I read it, but I thought I had seen that the developers were going to redesign the frame that holds the glass? Dunno...that may have just been PR.

Was in the news late last year when some condo owners are suing the developers because of problems starting to appear less than 10years after they were built.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2011/11/13/tor-glass-walled-condos.html

Roogsy
03-06-2012, 02:55 PM
Shaved head now bro....come on now! I have lost the powers of the hawk! :(

Stop biting my style.

Next thing you know, you will gain 40 pounds and wear suits and ties.

drewski
03-06-2012, 02:57 PM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/2d/4_sisters_vwx.jpg/200px-4_sisters_vwx.jpg

that's pretty much the only way I see it, but it'll be tough because there's a lot more around the CN Tower than there was around Lakeview. If It toppled over the way those stacks did, SkyDome, Steamwhistle and/or the convention centre will be hit so they'll have do do some serious protection.

james
03-07-2012, 09:34 AM
well since we live in Toronto and we all know that architecture has a 25 year life span, we should be able to watch this happen

:flare::flare::drum: so true!

Redcoe15
03-07-2012, 12:06 PM
All this talk of Montreal and the Big Ow made me realize. It's exactly one month 'till TFC lays the smack on those Montreal blue turds. I'll be there. Can't wait. But first things first. BEAT LA!!!

Mulder
03-08-2012, 09:02 AM

When the CN tower opened, a brochure pointed to the towers Life span at approx 300 years.