PDA

View Full Version : Stevanovic being watched by Manchester United

drewski
02-28-2012, 09:07 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2107873/Alen-Stevanovic-watched-Manchester-United.html

denime
02-28-2012, 09:11 PM
Good for him,to bad he could not delivered for us here in MLS .

TFCwestcan
02-28-2012, 09:15 PM
Yes in typical black cloud TFC fashion he sucked for us yet excels upon his return to the Serie A. I bet his time here scared the shit out of him and he got his act together.

iy12l
02-28-2012, 09:22 PM
Yes in typical black cloud TFC fashion he sucked for us yet excels upon his return to the Serie A. I bet his time here scared the shit out of him and he got his act together.

to be honest he never sucked at all, it was our team mates at that time like borman, gargan, santos, etc that made him look bad. He could actually control the ball good like deguz and he was only 20 years old

denime
02-28-2012, 09:22 PM

He sucked not only because TFC, he sucked because MLS sucks comparing to Seria A,B,C and so on.
Defenders in MLS are reckless butchers comparing any league in Europe,skilled player like him can't survive here,and of course TFC line up at the time did not help aether.

razor787
02-28-2012, 09:27 PM
I was impressed by him several times here. His footwork was excellent, but as said before, he just couldn't adapt to the leagues style, and couldn't connect with the lower level of teammate.

I am quite shocked to hear the Man Utd link though.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-28-2012, 09:30 PM
thought he was pretty meh, ill be shocked if this comes true.

werewolf
02-28-2012, 09:30 PM
http://b.images.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/15369481.jpg

No longer a meme virgin.

Parkdale
02-28-2012, 09:38 PM
the lolz!

QSIM
02-28-2012, 09:40 PM
http://b.images.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/15369481.jpg

No longer a meme virgin.

:smilielol5:

HAHA.

Had all the skill in the world but looked disinterested in his time here.

Ajax TFC
02-28-2012, 09:49 PM
to be honest he never sucked at all, it was our team mates at that time like borman, gargan, santos, etc that made him look bad. He could actually control the ball good like deguz and he was only 20 years old

no, he didn't suck, but your teammates not being good isn't a legitamate reason for never passing in my books. Especially when you don't do anything useful on the ball yourself. I remember him on countless occasions having a man wide open with lots of space, but instead of passing to them he'd dribble the ball to them, draw all the defenders there with him, and then either give the ball to the other player after he'd gotten rid of all their space, or get striped of the ball himself. IMO he was just one of the many players who was here in the first half of last season that didn't belong here.
Bottom line is I'm glad he's gone, and that will not change no matter what team he ends up with in the future

jabbronies
02-28-2012, 10:01 PM

Agree with this. He was a good player who had shit teammates.

Add on that he was on what 20 years old at the time? No experience carrying a team. People shouldn't have expected him to.

TFCwestcan
02-28-2012, 10:20 PM

I don't know, perhaps we expected too much from him in the end he was a let down.

Thomas
02-28-2012, 10:37 PM
Don't agree at all. He was a selfish ball hog that tried to do it all himself, and got beat pretty much every time. When he did get beat, he would sulk and pout, then tune out. Maybe he just thought that he was that much better than the rest, but the reality is he wasn't.

Blizzard
02-28-2012, 10:38 PM
no, he didn't suck, but your teammates not being good isn't a legitamate reason for never passing in my books. Especially when you don't do anything useful on the ball yourself. I remember him on countless occasions having a man wide open with lots of space, but instead of passing to them he'd dribble the ball to them, draw all the defenders there with him, and then either give the ball to the other player after he'd gotten rid of all their space, or get striped of the ball himself. IMO he was just one of the many players who was here in the first half of last season that didn't belong here.
Bottom line is I'm glad he's gone, and that will not change no matter what team he ends up with in the future

Let's not forget that he had a nagging injury even before he arrived. He had a wrapped thigh almost from day one and he was constantly aggravating it. Sure, he went down easy on occasion (and more) but there was no doubt in my mind that he was slightly hobbled.

He had skill of that there is no question.

He lacked judgment though. He was also supremely over-confident seeming to think that he would rip this league apart.

TFC took a flyer on a guy with a strong pedigree but thankfully TFC knew enough to cut him loose when they did even if the club took pity on him and said it was a recall.

He has potential. It will be interesting to see what he can do in a different situation.

billyfly
02-28-2012, 10:42 PM
Curse of Toronto.

kodiakTFC
02-28-2012, 11:07 PM
I always thought he was good, was upset to see him leave but Manchester? Really?

TFC USA
02-28-2012, 11:15 PM
Wake me up when Andy "Puyol Jr." Iro gets scouted by Barcelona.

ag futbol
02-28-2012, 11:22 PM
He sucked not only because TFC, he sucked because MLS sucks comparing to Seria A,B,C and so on.
Defenders in MLS are reckless butchers comparing any league in Europe,skilled player like him can't survive here,and of course TFC line up at the time did not help aether.
I don't particularly buy this, do you think someone could realistically have trouble with the physicality of MLS then survive in Italy?

Not only is that league more skilled, it's also more physical. I know that's not the first thing you think of when you picture series A, but the defending is high quality and you can't deny the athletic quality is superior.

I'd argue MLS looks physical because that's primarily what it's players offer, but it's not as physical as any of the top leagues.

jabbronies
02-28-2012, 11:26 PM
I don't particularly buy this, do you think someone could realistically have trouble with the physicality of MLS then survive in Italy?

Not only is that league more skilled, it's also more physical. I know that's not the first thing you think of when you picture series A, but the defending is high quality and you can't deny the athletic quality is superior.

I'd argue MLS looks physical because that's primarily what it's players offer, but it's not as physical as any of the top leagues.

He's not talking about the physicality of the MLS. he's talking about the recklessness. Different animal.

ag futbol
02-28-2012, 11:54 PM
He's not talking about the physicality of the MLS. he's talking about the recklessness. Different animal.
Is it really? The recklessness of the players in MLS is going to negate the skill of someone who's somehow going to excel in one of the best leagues in the world?

If you can deal with the level of play over there and the superior athletic ability, a few rash challenges in MLS is not going to stop you from being effective.

ensco
02-29-2012, 12:02 AM
This has to be a joke.

"Outstanding form"?

He has 2 goals in 23 games at Torino since he left here.

DangerRed
02-29-2012, 09:32 AM
Don't agree at all. He was a selfish ball hog that tried to do it all himself, and got beat pretty much every time. When he did get beat, he would sulk and pout, then tune out. Maybe he just thought that he was that much better than the rest, but the reality is he wasn't.

Now, I may be biased (I used to have Stevanovic as my avatar picture and continue to think that he's the most technically gifted player to ever play on this team), but I would sulk and pout as well when I'd get beat because no one on the team had the foresight to make a run into space. He always passed when there was an opportunity. You'd see him take on multiple defenders because there was no one else around him to take the ball. That's what made him look like a ball hog, I guess. I'd rather keep the ball, personally, but hey, what do I know? :D

Also, with all due respect to your interpretation of his skill levels, I'm more inclined to believe what Arsenal's scouts used to think of Stevanovic a few years ago and what all the top 6 clubs ready to bid on him (assuming this story is true) think of him now.

Brooker
02-29-2012, 09:39 AM
The 21-year-old was once likened to Cristiano Ronaldo by Arsenal scouts when they watched him developing at Inter Milan.

Why? Because he fell to the ground at the first sign of a challenge? God his workrate was shit here. £6m is insane. Has he changed that much?

DangerRed
02-29-2012, 09:48 AM
Why? Because he fell to the ground at the first sign of a challenge? God his workrate was shit here. £6m is insane. Has he changed that much?

You're right, his workrate here was shit, and he's a sulky kid -- immature. He felt he was above this league. He wasn't getting any minutes in Italy, they shipped him here, he thought his team mates here weren't the best, so he didn't work hard. That's unprofessional, totally. But with that said, there's no denying he's very, very skilled.

As for whether he's changed, there is no decent-length clip on youtube, but a bunch of short ones. Check them out. I think he's worth millions. Maybe not six, but certainly no less than three or four.

Brooker
02-29-2012, 09:53 AM
You're right, his workrate here was shit, and he's a sulky kid -- immature. He felt he was above this league. He wasn't getting any minutes in Italy, they shipped him here, he thought his team mates here weren't the best, so he didn't work hard. That's unprofessional, totally. But with that said, there's no denying he's very, very skilled.

As for whether he's changed, there is no decent-length clip on youtube, but a bunch of short ones. Check them out. I think he's worth millions. Maybe not six, but certainly no less than three or four.

Which was the most frustrating part... If he only worked hard. 3 or 4 seems more reasonable if he grows the hell up.

maninb
02-29-2012, 10:03 AM
People seem to have VERY BAD memories...he was a fairly talented kid who NEVER backtracked/defended and wouldn't pass the ball...I remember one particular game where he and Santos went in on several 2 on 1's, and he tried to beat his man BOTH times leaving a wide open Santos furious in front of the net and the coaches raging at him from the sidelines...He just wasn't a complete player...

Thomas
02-29-2012, 10:09 AM
Danger, I was only assessing Stevanovic based on his performance at our club, period. I wasn't assessing his skill levels. I don't buy into the theory that one of the reasons he failed to perform was because he was so much better than everyone else. He should have been able to make some adjustments. I do think that he very strong technically, I just don't think his head was in the TFC assignment.

Whoop
02-29-2012, 10:14 AM
This has to be a joke.

"Outstanding form"?

He has 2 goals in 23 games at Torino since he left here.

I didn't think he was a striker.

ensco
02-29-2012, 10:17 AM
^You think Manchester United brings in AMs or wingers with that kind of strike rate in the second division? (EDIT: I have no idea where he has been play at Torino.)

This is a set up. His agent must be owed a favour by that reporter or something.

He is almost always subbed out.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/player/_/id/143516/alan-stevanovic?cc=5901

denime
02-29-2012, 10:23 AM
Is it really? The recklessness of the players in MLS is going to negate the skill of someone who's somehow going to excel in one of the best leagues in the world?

If you can deal with the level of play over there and the superior athletic ability, a few rash challenges in MLS is not going to stop you from being effective.

A FEW,You got the be kidding,bring here educated ref from SA or UEFA and MLS teams will be finishing games with 7-8 players.

A skilled,physical defender in Europe or SA does not charge recklessly like in MLS.There are so many players indicating that MLS is not physical league as many people think, it's simply reckless and that's why is very difficult for skilled player to play here,when you add the TFC roster at the time and his injury,yeah he could not delivered for us as we wished at the time.

Even MLS recognized that and it is pushing refs to pay attention on reckless plays.

Kasey Keller on MLS, EPL and USMNT

First off, I don't think you can compare the physicality of MLS to EPL. The Premier League is more physical. I think what happens in MLS is that the play is more reckless at times. So what you're seeing is a mis-timed challenge as opposed to just being physical. http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/blog/_/name/martin_james/id/7376984

Major League Soccer needs to promote consistency in officiating, not “toughening up” (http://blogs.thescore.com/footyblog/2012/02/17/major-league-soccer-needs-to-promote-consistency-in-officiating-not-toughening-up/)

Rodrguez’s and the league’s intentions on this are good, they shouldn’t have to “toughen up” on poor tackling. While the recommendation involves a secondary disciplinary committee, this sends the message to MLS refs they must be even more strict when it comes to reckless fouls. That means more phantom yellows, more invisible penalties, and perhaps more diving.
That said, most followers of MLS know there is a problem with dangerous tackles, and many fans would welcome stringent intervention from referees. Yet reckless fouls aren’t necessarily the result of the fact players believe they can “get away with it.” Well-timed tackles are an elite skill, one of the hardest for any defender to master. As Major League Soccer improves, so will the level of physical play.

Whoop
02-29-2012, 10:25 AM
Manchester United did bring in Bébé. LOL

gcolacci
02-29-2012, 10:26 AM
:smilielol5:

HAHA.

Had all the skill in the world but looked disinterested in his time here.

To be honest i think he was one of the best players we had last year.
but he was disinterested and he will be a really good player.

Suds
02-29-2012, 10:30 AM
I hope Man U signs him. I'm sick of it being my team that always signs a player that ends up being a bust.

Gazza
02-29-2012, 11:10 AM
Is this a liverpool troll job? ;)

They obviously weren't watching him while he played here.

Maybe Barcelona can take Ty Harden off of our hands.

DangerRed
02-29-2012, 11:33 AM
People seem to have VERY BAD memories...he was a fairly talented kid who NEVER backtracked/defended and wouldn't pass the ball...I remember one particular game where he and Santos went in on several 2 on 1's, and he tried to beat his man BOTH times leaving a wide open Santos furious in front of the net and the coaches raging at him from the sidelines...He just wasn't a complete player...

So again, I guess you know better than Torino and the clubs that are looking to sign him, according to this story. But whatever, no point arguing and time will tell where Stevanovic ends up.

Danger, I was only assessing Stevanovic based on his performance at our club, period. I wasn't assessing his skill levels. I don't buy into the theory that one of the reasons he failed to perform was because he was so much better than everyone else. He should have been able to make some adjustments. I do think that he very strong technically, I just don't think his head was in the TFC assignment.

I agree with you totally, and like I said, it's a sign of immaturity. I think he still has time, he's 21 years old. If he has the right support around him and if Man U or another EPL big name picks him up for its reserve squad, he could have a very bright future.

I didn't think he was a striker.

Correct.

DangerRed
02-29-2012, 11:34 AM
Is this a liverpool troll job? ;)

They obviously weren't watching him while he played here.

Maybe Barcelona can take Ty Harden off of our hands.

Are you comparing Stevanovic to Harden in terms of skill? Yikes.

Gazza
02-29-2012, 11:39 AM
Are you comparing Stevanovic to Harden in terms of skill? Yikes.

In terms of relevance. How many step-overs did it take for you to decide that he was skilled?

DangerRed
02-29-2012, 11:58 AM
In terms of relevance. How many step-overs did it take for you to decide that he was skilled?

Three. Stepovers are the only measure by which I evaluate a player. Nothing else is relevant (except opinions like yours, of course).

trane
02-29-2012, 03:26 PM

Torino is in Serie B, they came up but they are back down. I am pretty sure he has not played in Serie A upon his return.

I thought he was skilled, but did not give two shits.

brad
02-29-2012, 04:12 PM
Interesting article on him

http://www.sabotagetimes.com/football-sport/manchester-united-torinos-alen-stevanovic-would-struggle-in-the-prem/

TFC Cityboy
02-29-2012, 04:31 PM
united linked with this lazy twat and City linked with Cavani..... how times change!

levyashin
02-29-2012, 06:25 PM
is it april 1st!

Chevy
02-29-2012, 07:45 PM
Torino is in Serie B, they came up but they are back down. I am pretty sure he has not played in Serie A upon his return.

I thought he was skilled, but did not give two shits.

Agreed. Every young player with delusions of grandeur needs to be beaten with the ugly stick.

We were the ugly stick.

Looks like the beating worked, and I hope we will see a former TFC player suiting up for Man U. Unless, Juve swoops in and buys him. I'm ok with that too. :)

Kc17
02-29-2012, 09:31 PM
I don't think he has top 4 team in a top 4 league type of talent. But he's certainly got enough talent to start on a mid-table team in the EPL, Serie A, La Liga and the Bundesliga within the next few years. He's probably more suited for a league like the EPL than any of the other top 4 though.

I think Torino would admit they made a mistake by sending him over here, MLS is still a very raw league technically and in terms of defending/tackling. Not the best environment for a skilled kid who probably feels he's above it.

QSIM
02-29-2012, 09:57 PM

You sure youre not mixing that up?

ouWBqXTE93M

I would be on the first plane back to Italy if I was part of that shit.

UltraSuperMegaMo
02-29-2012, 10:46 PM
He wasn't bad, clearly he had some skill, but I don't subscribe to the theory he was too good for the league / team – that he needed a better class of player around him to show his pedigree. I feel if you're shiz, it's going to come through not matter what level you're playing at.

It would be neat for a player who wore the TFC strip to land at a big club, it would nice if wasn't a loan player, but hey, baby steps and all that.

brad
02-29-2012, 11:28 PM
^^Mo Edu already did...

Chevy
02-29-2012, 11:40 PM
He said a BIG club.

:hide:

UltraSuperMegaMo
03-01-2012, 12:43 AM
^^Mo Edu already did...

That's fair. Rangers is a big club, but there's no arguing that Man United isn't at a different level.

Auzzy
03-01-2012, 12:53 AM
^ That's a somewhat confusing double negative.

MartinUtd
03-01-2012, 12:54 AM
He said a BIG club.

:hide:

buahahaha... well played

DangerRed
03-01-2012, 12:24 PM
You sure youre not mixing that up?

ouWBqXTE93M

I would be on the first plane back to Italy if I was part of that shit.

Thanks for posting, couldn't agree more.

prizby
03-01-2012, 12:42 PM
you'd think manchester united had learned after signing Bebe

Pookie
03-01-2012, 03:00 PM
Comments in this thread are curious.

A player, sent on a development stint, or wake up call depending on your perspective returns to his former team and his play has theoretically improved?

Wasn't that the goal? Whether he learned some things here or looked in the mirror and said, WTF, I better pick up my game if I don't want to end up back here full time... mission accomplished.

I think some folks forget this is a developmental league.

ensco
03-01-2012, 03:26 PM
Comments in this thread are curious.

Sorry, but for me, what's curious is to disbelieve what you see with your own eyes, and believe what you read in the Daily Mail.

Who knows? To each his own.

Pookie
03-01-2012, 03:46 PM
Fair point. Curiosity is abound.

Dreadlocks
03-01-2012, 03:49 PM
All of the comments about his head not being there are spot on. He lacked maturity bottom line (he was only 20 as others have mentioned).

So physically and technically he was better than most, not just on TFC, but in the entire league. But all of that ability goes for not, if his head isn't straight.

Now a year removed, perhaps his brain is closing the gap with his body?

brad
03-01-2012, 04:04 PM
The article I posted further up this page says that he is struggle to make an impact in Serie B.

ag futbol
03-01-2012, 04:20 PM
^ Not terribly surprising IMO.

I'd also point out there's a difference between simply having technical skill and knowing when to use it. One makes you Denilson, the other makes you Ronaldinho.