PDA

View Full Version : What do you expect from Ryan Johnson?

MartinUtd
02-27-2012, 07:39 PM
Pretty simple question.

When he arrived we were told that Ryan Johnson was a versatile forward that could play out wide or up top. Since we have Danny Koevermans, that puts him either out of position or on the bench. I'm completely fine with that.

There's been a lot of talk how we have little depth after Koevs and how we should be giving preseason minutes to Vukovic just in case of an emergency. But unless my memory is failing me, Johnson did pretty well in those CCL games when tasked with the centre forward job.

Am I missing something? Because he seems like a pretty good choice for the #2 spot considering the league constraints... and unless Reggie Lamb steps up, he'll be our 3rd best winger too.

brad
02-27-2012, 07:44 PM
My problem with him up top is he lacks the ability to hold the ball up, which is a critical responsibility of that role. I like him out wide though.

jloome
02-27-2012, 07:47 PM
Pretty simple question.

When he arrived we were told that Ryan Johnson was a versatile forward that could play out wide or up top. Since we have Danny Koevermans, that puts him either out of position or on the bench. I'm completely fine with that.

There's been a lot of talk how we have little depth after Koevs and how we should be giving preseason minutes to Vukovic just in case of an emergency. But unless my memory is failing me, Johnson did pretty well in those CCL games when tasked with the centre forward job.

Am I missing something? Because he seems like a pretty good choice for the #2 spot considering the league constraints... and unless Reggie Lamb steps up, he'll be our 3rd best winger too.

He was San Jose's top scorer in 2009, I believe, playing up top as a striker. Then they moved him wide.

I like him. He's a really dangerous player with feet and head, can play wide, can slot in the hole. As many games (40 plus) as we'll have this year, he's a valuable player.

We also have diversity in style with Johnson, as he adds an aerial threat we can't get from Plata or (to a lesser extent) Soolsma, for those times when it's an advantage.

Klinsmann
02-27-2012, 08:00 PM
about 6 - 8 goals this season...

ag futbol
02-27-2012, 08:34 PM
bingo.

If this three forward system is going to work everyone up top has to be popping in some goals.

J .
02-27-2012, 08:36 PM
He is going to backup Plata and DK.

AlanO
02-27-2012, 08:40 PM
Might not start a lot of games but will see a lot of minutes off the bench. Versatile and reasonably effective in several positions - exactly the type of player any MLS team would like to have.

He's coming off a good spell with the Jamaican national team. I think he had a goal and an assist in two games recently.

The trade that brought him to TFC last year was a good deal.

Alonso
02-27-2012, 08:41 PM

This is what I'm expecting.

Shakes McQueen
02-27-2012, 08:51 PM

I think that sounds about right, and I think that's a solid ROI.

For all of the games we are going to play this season, we need the versatility and depth of a guy like Johnson.

- Scott

[NBF]
02-27-2012, 08:54 PM
I expect Ryan Johnson to start and not to come off the bench for Koevermans or Plata. IMO, he should be playing behind Koevermans in a 4-2-3-1, with Plata and Lambe on the flanks. We will see what happens eventually when the season starts, but plain and simple he has to start every game. I also agree with the 6-8 goals, but would be surprised if we see something like 9-13 goals in the league alone.

ensco
02-27-2012, 09:14 PM
Wouldn't surprise me if he started in front of Plata on the left. I've been surprised at how many people rank Plata ahead of RJ. I don't.

Ajax TFC
02-27-2012, 10:12 PM
;1449897']I expect Ryan Johnson to start and not to come off the bench for Koevermans or Plata. IMO, he should be playing behind Koevermans in a 4-2-3-1, with Plata and Lambe on the flanks. We will see what happens eventually when the season starts, but plain and simple he has to start every game. I also agree with the 6-8 goals, but would be surprised if we see something like 9-13 goals in the league alone.

really, why is that? The midfielders have to be able to play a high pressure game and make accurate passes in and through crowded areas. RJ is not a midfielder so he struggles a bit with this. Not hugely but Avila still does a much better job with it.
Koevermans is a better striker, Plata's right now our starting left winger, and I expect Lambe to make the right wing his own. So why is it that you think that RJ has to start every game?

I personally expect him to be Koevermans' backup that regularly gets subbed on for him around the 75th minute, and starts the occasional game to give him a break

MartinUtd
02-27-2012, 10:59 PM
Looks like there's more love for RJ out there than I thought.

I will admit that I'm not a big fan of him as an attacking midfielder and wasn't as good at holding the ball up as Alan Gordon, but there's no question that the trade benefited us heavily.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him starting on the wing though. Winter did seem to favour him last season.

TFC/Everton
02-28-2012, 12:10 AM
He seemed to understand the system fairly quickly last year, lets just hope he can adapt to play as an attacking mid.

I would be very happy with 8 goals in all competitions this year.

Also, I hope we can pull out a win tomorrow night against the swiss club. It would do a lot for the confidence of our club if we can get a couple good results in the next 2 pre-season matches.

On that note, I think the starting 11 tomorrow night should be the players Winter intends to use against LA.

jloome
02-28-2012, 08:53 PM
Did a fine job tonight.

Chevy
02-28-2012, 08:55 PM
10-12 goals in all competitions.

Starting with 2 against LA (I guy can hope)

ArmenJBX
02-28-2012, 08:57 PM
He's just so...left-leaning that it hurts our wing play.
Johnson should be the Center Forward/Center Attacking Midfielder, and I expect at minimum 7 goals.

jloome
02-28-2012, 08:58 PM
I don't think 10 is unreasonable if he gets lots of starts.

Auzzy
02-28-2012, 09:14 PM
Johnson was getting pretty discouraged tonight by some rough stuff from Hacken, and poor play by TFC. I feel he sometimes gets down & then drifts in & out of play -- noticed that last season as well. However, when he keeps his head up & stays positive, he can play very well.

Heart of Stone
03-03-2012, 09:52 AM
He's a great MLSer

19Barrett19
03-03-2012, 10:41 AM
---------------Frie-----------------
Eks-------cann------aceval------morgan
--------------frings-----------------
-------JDG----------Silva--------
johnson--------------------plata
------------Koev--------------

this is the most dangerous line up TFC can put out there. We still have not seen these together the addition of silva as CAM and the addition of Aceval at CB is solid. When Cann comes back he's going to be the comeback player of the year in MLS. Also from what i seen from Silva and plata they link up together nicely Koev and silva too. This brings me back to Ryan Johnson because he can play all attacking positions on the field, that makes him the most dangerous player in the attack when linking up with silva. Silva love to make runs this in turn will open spaces on the field for players like johnson who will cover or trial the play to finish off attacks. Only time will tell if I am correct but i do expect Johnson to score 8 goals this season and a pile of assists.

cochrdoc
03-03-2012, 11:43 AM
Johnson is a starter on this team, and a good back-up for Koev.He is a better player then Plata and Lambe.Plata plays with alot of heart,but I don`t think he will ever be a star in this league.Lambe has not been very impressive in preseason and looks like he could struggle unless he can turn it around.All this speed that was talked about has not been evident,and he is not running by anyone. I was hoping we might try and get Nygyen from Vancouver .I think he wii prove more useful for NE then Lambe and Plata in the long run.I still think we need more help up top as the forwards don`t seem strong in the air or big ballwinners.We seem to get knocked off the ball alot.WE have to remember the games in Orland were against a Div.3 team and the back-ups for the other teams.I hope we will be ready for LA

ryan
03-03-2012, 04:59 PM
I expect 10 goals over the season being a solid 2/3 scorer behind Danny K.

West220Side
03-03-2012, 05:12 PM
Ryan Johnson did his job fine last year, no major complaints. Soolsma did fine aswell, havn't enjoyed Soolsma playing striker in pre-season.. Hopefully we don't see that much during the season.

Expectation for this year. Atleast 8 goals in all competitions. Just behind Plata, with Danny K leading the pack.

Heart of Stone
03-04-2012, 11:38 AM
He scored some big goals in CONCAFF last season.

Pigfynn
03-04-2012, 12:17 PM

Yup and from Plata as well

T-boy
03-05-2012, 10:18 AM
I expect much more from Johnson this year compared to last. There were times last season Johnson looked either not interested, or totally exhausted. I'm hoping he was the latter, and with a full preseason with the team, he could be a much better player than we saw all of last season.

Heart of Stone
03-09-2012, 06:54 PM
Ryan Johnson scores big goals. He has the heart of a champion. A solid MLSer, indeed.

SvenFlu
03-09-2012, 09:46 PM
Hes Jamaican right? I'm guessing 5-7 goals

Heart of Stone
03-15-2012, 07:39 AM
5 goals in 5 games in the CONCACAF.

A star is born.

EastYork
03-15-2012, 09:13 AM
He is playing amazing in CONCACAF

Roogsy
03-15-2012, 09:14 AM
I call him "MR BIG TIME".

Whoop
03-15-2012, 09:16 AM
10-12 goals in all competitions.

Starting with 2 against LA (I guy can hope)

Looks like you were right.

Shakes McQueen
03-15-2012, 09:39 AM
Best trade TFC have ever made. Granted that's like finding a Werther's Original floating in an ocean of shit.

- Scott

Heart of Stone
03-15-2012, 09:41 AM
Best trade TFC have ever made. Granted that's like finding a Werther's Original floating in an ocean of shit.

- Scott

And right from the beginning he was happy to be here. Even though when he got here we were at our lowest point. Great attitude!

__wowza
03-15-2012, 10:23 AM
quick note: johnson is currently pulling up into 3rd for the CCL golden boot.

DoubleUp
03-15-2012, 10:28 AM
I call him "MR BIG TIME".

I call him "Mr Boombastic"

Vcfu6Z3it_8

:scarf:
Maybe one of the more musically inclined members could even turn it into a chant for him.

Heart of Stone
03-15-2012, 10:30 AM
I call him "Mr Boombastic"

Vcfu6Z3it_8

:scarf:
Maybe one of the more musically inclined members could even turn into a chant for him.

This should be his entry music every time he walks into BMO (or the Real Jerk).

Yohan
03-15-2012, 11:54 AM
He is so clutch.

ryan
03-15-2012, 12:01 PM
I was a bit disapointted at the utter lack of ANYTHING from dobber and craig when Johnson almost sniped the top corner.

He had that bummy keeper beat, just missed tucking it in the corner.

He has a real knack to score in big games.

Maltese Falcon
03-15-2012, 12:04 PM
After his performances so far in CCL...I just hope he continues to play exactly how he has

Heart of Stone
03-15-2012, 01:37 PM
He scored 11 goals in one season for San Jose. 27 years old. May be just coming into his prime. But definitely a "MLSer" all the way.