PDA

View Full Version : Portland Timbers Comedy

TorontoGooner
02-25-2012, 09:24 PM
Tip of the hat to those in Portland, they really love their team:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/blog/mls-insider/2012/02/25/video-timbers-army-take-portlandia

Yeoman
02-25-2012, 09:37 PM
know a few kids in the sketch
look hard enough at the bearded guy with the leather jacket and head band, he's got 'larp' and 'hard' on his knuckles
i've been meowing my portland friends all day, i think they hate me now

Kaz
02-25-2012, 11:31 PM
Does this mean when we play Portland we should all yell Please Please Lose, Ruff Ruff Ruff?

MartinUtd
02-26-2012, 01:32 AM
RIP Timbers Army 2001-2012 :(

London
02-26-2012, 07:50 AM
how about ""please please win, meow meow meow"

THAT WAS SAD, hold your head in shame for the mediawhoring you did

TorontoGooner
02-26-2012, 10:16 AM

Woah. Relax mate

Gallade
02-26-2012, 03:17 PM
this show is one of my favorite guilty pleasures. meow meow meow!

Brooker
02-26-2012, 03:28 PM
I must have missed the comedy part. I am convinced Portland and Seattle fans are at the games to be noticed first and watch soccer second.

So yeah, I would file this under Documentary rather than Comedy.

Yeoman
02-26-2012, 03:44 PM
just curious how you came to that conclusion?
because of a show based on a city?

Fort York Redcoat
02-26-2012, 04:14 PM
I don't know, I'd prolly skip an invite to be a supporter extra on a show that pokes fun at what I enjoy doing but there is something to be said for celebrating a show that's celebrating your city.

I know if the Union, SOB were approached by the makers of "Sunny" they'd probably have a hard time turning them away. That some funny shit.

Kaz
02-26-2012, 04:16 PM
I must have missed the comedy part. I am convinced Portland and Seattle fans are at the games to be noticed first and watch soccer second.

Careful there pot you are getting awfully close to calling the kettle black... remember TFC supporters have chants that require them to turn away from the field to chant at each other.

Fort York Redcoat
02-26-2012, 04:21 PM
Careful there pot you are getting awfully close to calling the kettle black... remember TFC supporters have chants that require them to turn away from the field to chant at each other.

Technically, that's just an option. I never look at 111 when I'm pointing at them.;)

Redpunkfiddle
02-26-2012, 04:24 PM

If you are thinking you can use something like Qu'est ce que vous chantez to make that point, I'd say you should be careful too.

Edited: What FYR just said.

TorontoGooner
02-26-2012, 04:27 PM
Can't someone just post something on this forum without getting shot down? Sigh

Kaz
02-26-2012, 08:22 PM
The point was, that TFC supporters do tend to get notice, and go out of their way to get noticed. (it's the point of singing and chanting) But when you do a chant that is literally and back and forth that isn't connect to the field, the team or even the game play at the time. It's just to be noticed.

And while i have no issues with it, attacking other supporters for:

A) showing that the are willing to support an apparently nichely popular show about their city.

B) that they are inclusive of "fairweather" fans and try to make everyone feel welcome and included, while still supporting their team.

seems a tad rude. Particularly for attacking them for creating atmosphere for their club. Like TFC fans do.

Using Yoda which has nothing to do with the club, the fans or the city, is done to get noticed. Doing the french banter chant is to get noticed. It's what supporters do. It's a good thing.

I don't particularly like the show, but I would hope that if a locally produced show that is say hosted by a Newfoundlander, wanted to do something involving TFC that the team and fans would take him into their midst and put on a good show.

iy12l
02-26-2012, 08:49 PM
In Europe people would of kicked their arse

Detroit_TFC
02-27-2012, 09:02 AM
The show uses Portland much like a character in the show. The fact that Timbers and Timbers supporters is present enough in the culture of the town to get incorporated is a good thing.

I wonder if people think TA begged the shows producers to be on the program, because I believe the reverse is true. When the Rick Mercer show did a segment with TFC supporters a few years ago, was that media whoring? As I recall some people did say it was, but most people thought it was a hoot. Not a big deal.

Phil
02-27-2012, 09:10 AM
Meh, we did the Rick Mercer show in year 1. It was fun, we had a laugh and the world did not end.

Good on them for you know....having fun. I know the show, will watch this bit tonight.

sashavukelich
02-27-2012, 10:31 AM

Timbers fans are easily one of the top 3 supporters groups in the league. Go visit JELD-WIN on Gameday and your opinion will perform a complete 180.

phonzo
02-27-2012, 10:38 AM

depends where - the generalization that all european supporters would frown upon this is taking a very "blinders on' type of approach.

MartinUtd
02-27-2012, 10:47 AM
The show uses Portland much like a character in the show. The fact that Timbers and Timbers supporters is present enough in the culture of the town to get incorporated is a good thing.

I wonder if people think TA begged the shows producers to be on the program, because I believe the reverse is true. When the Rick Mercer show did a segment with TFC supporters a few years ago, was that media whoring? As I recall some people did say it was, but most people thought it was a hoot. Not a big deal.

I guarantee you if this was TFC supporters on some garbage like Train 48 I'd be laughing just as hard.

mastermixer
02-27-2012, 10:53 AM
American soccer fans have always had the advantage of going through the NCAA sport culture, which allowed them to make the transition to soccer support a lot easier I believe. This is why I find the Toronto SG's impressive, foundation is from football supporters not college. Just my opinion of course.

Brooker
02-27-2012, 11:25 AM
The point was, that TFC supporters do tend to get notice, and go out of their way to get noticed. (it's the point of singing and chanting) But when you do a chant that is literally and back and forth that isn't connect to the field, the team or even the game play at the time. It's just to be noticed.

what in the...

just curious how you came to that conclusion?
because of a show based on a city?

It's a show? I had no idea. It's just the impression I got from watching videos of them. I'm using quite a broad brush and it isn't fair to say they're all like that... but it looks like a large number of their fans think this way. We had similar fans in the beginning, too but they are long gone for the most part.

TorCanSoc
02-27-2012, 11:48 AM
Never heard of the show. I think its is one of those U.S. Cable network ones. I thought it was awesome funny. Same with Mercer's report on us a while back. Life's all about laughing.

Phil
02-27-2012, 12:06 PM
This is a good example of the show, its funny as hell:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEqj68woTwA

Portland, where young people go to retire...

LesRougez116
02-27-2012, 12:13 PM
depends where - the generalization that all european supporters would frown upon this is taking a very "blinders on' type of approach.

the groupes that dont frown are considered clowns by any resoectabl group in europe.

mostly silly fan clubs do this things not big organizations or ultras groups. groups for families to go on picnic not groups for lads who song on the virage

zero respect for these ultras for pay. ultras sponsored by comedy show :rolleyes:

Fort York Redcoat
02-27-2012, 12:21 PM
^ *"Respected" by whom?

Of what other "Fan clubs" do you speak?

Detroit_TFC
02-27-2012, 12:26 PM
I'm sure we all fall short in many ways to hard as fuck Euro ultras.

I think I just shed a single tear over that.

Pinkie
02-27-2012, 12:27 PM
oh man is it this going to become one of those "supporter" vs. "fan club" or "european support" vs. "north american support" debate? because i really think we haven't debated that subject enough.

portlandia isn't my kind of humour...but i appreciate the fact that soccer is so prevalent in their city that they would incorporate it into the show.

LesRougez116
02-27-2012, 12:33 PM
^ *"Respected" by whom?

Of what other "Fan clubs" do you speak?

fan club are for family and old people not for singing and tifo this is who i speak of.

there are respected group in europe and there are silly comedy groups that do thing like make ad for funny tv.

ultras group or fanatic organization exists for only one reason, support club in the virage. nothing else. no commercial. no profits. no media. only the club and the city and your group.

Fort York Redcoat
02-27-2012, 12:55 PM
fan club are for family and old people not for singing and tifo this is who i speak of.

there are respected group in europe and there are silly comedy groups that do thing like make ad for funny tv.

ultras group or fanatic organization exists for only one reason, support club in the virage. nothing else. no commercial. no profits. no media. only the club and the city and your group.

I see. Well, luckily here there's room for everyone. Which has it's benefits since even ultra's reproduce and age.

Boris
02-27-2012, 12:57 PM
and then people seriously wonder why we cant move support forward in this city...it always becomes a pissing contest.

everyone grow the fuck up. We all know why we are here and thats to support their teams. How one does it varies and what they do away from the stadium shouldnt be taken into consideration.

I also love how people who know exactly how things should be are the ones who balls weigh so much they cant help out....

We can have this debate a thousand and one times and it results in further frustrations.

LesRougez116
02-27-2012, 01:12 PM
I see. Well, luckily here there's room for everyone. Which has it's benefits since even ultra's reproduce and age.

unluckily it mean north America fans will be clown. while other place like north africa Asia and australia learning the right way to do it here we make funny conmercial.

phonzo
02-27-2012, 01:18 PM
in before this shifts into a death to modern football thread.

Oldtimer
02-27-2012, 01:21 PM
unluckily it mean north America fans will be clown. while other place like north africa Asia and australia learning the right way to do it here we make funny conmercial.

Why do you judge North American culture by other cultures? That's wrong. What's right for here is what works here.

For example, in India, sports are combined with Bollywood entertainment. That's not my cup of tea, but it's not wrong.

Boris
02-27-2012, 01:26 PM
and then people seriously wonder why we cant move support forward in this city...it always becomes a pissing contest.

everyone grow the fuck up. We all know why we are here and thats to support their teams. How one does it varies and what they do away from the stadium shouldnt be taken into consideration.

I also love how people who know exactly how things should be are the ones who balls weigh so much they cant help out....

We can have this debate a thousand and one times and it results in further frustrations.

just highlighting the important parts of my post for you.....

Fort York Redcoat
02-27-2012, 01:31 PM

No, a certain group in a certain part of NA will be clown. "We" here in NA didn't take a poll to see if we let the TA make a joke at their own expense. Nor would I want to. Supporters reserve the right to support they way they want to.

LesRougez116
02-27-2012, 01:34 PM
just highlighting the important parts of my post for you.....

im in canada total maybe 2 months on the year else im in europe. else i would be helpin.

but yes my balls are also very large

Boris
02-27-2012, 01:39 PM
im in canada total maybe 2 months on the year else im in europe. else i would be helpin.

my whole point and a few others here is to stop comparing ourselves to others and focus on our efforts to grow supporters culture in CANADA.

What works in some parts may not work here and vice versa

jabbronies
02-27-2012, 01:59 PM
my whole point and a few others here is to stop comparing ourselves to others and focus on our efforts to grow supporters culture in CANADA.

What works in some parts may not work here and vice versa

I think what people don't understand is that in Canada we don't have the social unrest that "The real" ultra groups have in their respective countries.

Makes a big difference when the members of the groups don't have built up anger issues and are only focused on unleashing their frustrations at the pitch. And I'm not talking about hooliganism or fighting or destroying stadiums. I'm talking about that level of aggressive energy that is released in song, banners etc.

Back on topic - I'm not surprised Portland did that cameo appearance. Anyone who knows Portland, knows it's a city of hipsters. Only made sense for them to support their hipster show.

DangerRed
02-27-2012, 02:03 PM
RIP Timbers Army 2001-2012 :(

You DA MAN, cool guy!

Man, there are some HARD AS FUCK!!!!!!! supporters on this board. I'll never be as hardcore as them.

You guys should tattoo TFC logos on your foreheads and "kick to kill" on your knuckles. :facepalm: That way you'd be easy to spot from far away.

LesRougez116
02-27-2012, 02:06 PM
I think what people don't understand is that in Canada we don't have the social unrest that "The real" ultra groups have in their respective countries.

:rolleyes:

France, germany, holland, Sweden, danish, switzerland, Austria, Belgium.

all these countries as good or better life than Canada. all have great groups.

Fort York Redcoat
02-27-2012, 02:08 PM
Discussion, people. No need to single out and insult.

Oldtimer
02-27-2012, 02:14 PM

I lived in France for 3 years. Don't tell me there is no social unrest there. French vs. Arabs, French vs. Roma, rich vs. ghetto, it's got all of the problems. Paris burns every once in a while, so does Marseille.

LesRougez116
02-27-2012, 02:24 PM
I lived in France for 3 years. Don't tell me there is no social unrest there. French vs. Arabs, French vs. Roma, rich vs. ghetto, it's got all of the problems. Paris burns every once in a while, so does Marseille.

ok wats your point Toronto burned during g8 vancouvet burn after hockey, natives vs Canadians every few years like caledona in montreal student riots.

he was trying to say only ultras in country like setbia and poland but there are ultras in nice countries with no unrest.

werewolf
02-27-2012, 02:29 PM
1uUyFu4xQRg

MartinUtd
02-27-2012, 02:45 PM
You DA MAN, cool guy!

Man, there are some HARD AS FUCK!!!!!!! supporters on this board. I'll never be as hardcore as them.

You guys should tattoo TFC logos on your foreheads and "kick to kill" on your knuckles. :facepalm: That way you'd be easy to spot from far away.

The only thing better than a brass balls contest is a "who's the most enlightened liberal mind" contest.

Fort York Redcoat
02-27-2012, 02:53 PM
Last time guys. Keep the discussion from getting personal.

:topic:

Portland poking fun at themselves. This isn't about flares. They are not allowed in our league.

Oldtimer
02-27-2012, 02:58 PM
Now this is a good MLS promotion:

-RVfEGuBCYw&feature=player_embedded

Kaz
02-27-2012, 03:15 PM
Ok for those who still don't understand what Portlandia is.

Portlandia is a Situation Sketch Comedy Show. Much like SCTV was. (where Portlandia takes place in Portland, SCTV took place at the fictional SCTV studio and generally sketches involve this.)

They did a Sketch and the Supporters, got involved. They supported a locally produced show.

Why would a supporters group ever support a locally produced show, and ham it up for the camera... I guess TFC supporters would never do this.

http://youtu.be/mMY-YA-ojXw?t=2m57s (http://youtu.be/mMY-YA-ojXw)

Smile people lets have fun.. or do we need to start tagging things... #soccerisseriousbusiness

It's about getting out there, enjoying the game, enjoying the company, and having fun with it all...

Nodoubtguy
02-27-2012, 03:21 PM
Seriously people?? Seriously???

Broadview
02-27-2012, 03:59 PM
Some of those Portland fans look like they could be creepy film/tv industry crew types. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if some of them were. Grips and lighting guys even. It's enough to make you shudder.

Here's the opening with the dog and the patio.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCDbY_lXS5A

jabbronies
02-27-2012, 05:33 PM

Funny that most of these countries have been directly involved in two of the greatest wars in the past 100 years, a couple of those countries have open racial issues with several racial groups...those two things alone seem like social unrest, no?

You think these groups and the culture formed in the past 10 years? You don't think they've been heavily influenced by these and other pretty harsh events?

pekduck
02-27-2012, 05:37 PM
like... seriously guys... it's just a sitcom with bunch of people who happen to be in portland SG... what's the big deal here?

let's just move on

Suds
02-27-2012, 05:46 PM
How the hell did this thread get so off track??

That show looks funny! If you can't laugh a little at yourself you need to get over yourself.

LesRougez116
02-27-2012, 05:53 PM
Funny that most of these countries have been directly involved in two of the greatest wars in the past 100 years, a couple of those countries have open racial issues with several racial groups...those two things alone seem like social unrest, no?

You think these groups and the culture formed in the past 10 years? You don't think they've been heavily influenced by these and other pretty harsh events?

ur right Canada was not in world wars

25 year old ultras in switzerland and Belgium are j fluences by ww2:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yeoman
02-27-2012, 08:11 PM
Some of those Portland fans look like they could be creepy film/tv industry crew types. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if some of them were. Grips and lighting guys even. It's enough to make you shudder.

Here's the opening with the dog and the patio.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCDbY_lXS5A

..............................no they're legit TA people from what i've been told

TorontoGooner
02-27-2012, 08:24 PM
How the hell did this thread set so off track??

That show looks funny! If you can't laugh a little at yourself you need to get over yourself.

Thanks mate, I totally agree. I just about give up with this forum. I merely posted it on here to a few people a laugh but somehow it gets turned in to a cultural superiority debate. People seemed desperate on here to cause verbal conflict.

Yes, I cringe when I hear N.American fans call themselves 'ultras'. But I couldn't care less. I can take my kids to games, drink beer in the sun and enjoy some live football.

And videos like this encapsulate whats great about the MLS. Able to laugh at itself and, above all, there to be enjoyed.

Get of your high horse, pick up a pint and chill the fuck out. If you really feel the need to troll, piss off to YouTube and tell the world why Justin Bieber isn't a 'real' musician.

:drinking:

Cashcleaner
02-27-2012, 10:32 PM
I'm really trying to give a fuck what people in other countries think about how we support soccer in Canada and the US.

It's not working. I guess I'll just have to chill the fuck out and not care what people I'll never meet think about me.

Good on the Timbers Army and Portlandia. Not a fan of the show and not a fan of the team, but if it gives the sport more exposure in North America, that's a good thing.

Phil
02-28-2012, 08:51 AM
I'm really trying to give a fuck what people in other countries think about how we support soccer in Canada and the US.

It's not working. I guess I'll just have to chill the fuck out and not care what people I'll never meet think about me.

Good on the Timbers Army and Portlandia. Not a fan of the show and not a fan of the team, but if it gives the sport more exposure in North America, that's a good thing.

DING DING DING, We have a winner!

This sums up my feelings, except I watched season 1 and thought it was funny.

jabbronies
02-28-2012, 09:17 AM
Anyone know where I can watch it? I can only find single clips online

London
02-28-2012, 09:25 AM
ill assume some of the calm down comments were directed at me.

I wouldnt make fun of myself for a tv show ( that is how i viewed it), i know alot jump at any opportunity to get in front of the camera and whore themselves out, to each their own.

ill stick to painting banners and supporting the club

Fort York Redcoat
02-28-2012, 09:26 AM
Anyone know where I can watch it? I can only find single clips online

The link in OP showed the whole clip. You looking for the entire epi?

Red4ever
02-28-2012, 12:37 PM
I thought it was funny. It's an old joke, the tough biker with skull tattoos crying because he never got a teddy bear when he was younger. It plays against type, as they've built a well deserved reputation for being screaming maniacs and kudos to em for doing the bit. It would be really hard for me to lose any respect for them, certainly not for this.

And hey, we sang Elvis, so... yeah...

zeelaw
02-28-2012, 12:41 PM
That was uncomfortable to watch personally. (The Supporters part)

Commie Red
02-28-2012, 01:07 PM
Oh come on: this is funny stuff.

Portlandia is a show that makes fun, not of Portland, but of people who obsess to the point of absurdity. What better way is there to describe your typical football supporter? The last part of this clip isn't poking fun at the Timber Army -- it's poking fun at all of us. In fact, you could argue, it is saying what LeRougez116 is desperately trying to say, but with far more wit and eloquence. It also says, as many other posters are trying to say, that that we are not "Real Ultras" may be all right. The fact that some supporters are able to laugh at themselves and join in on the joke is a good thing -- the world needs more of it.

Our response should be, as Kaz suggests, to bark at them with some equally lame and absurd post-ironic ironic chant.

Red4ever
02-28-2012, 01:46 PM
I would actually be very disappointed if we had the option to do something like this and turned it down.

tfcleeds
02-28-2012, 02:04 PM
OOOLLLTTRRAAA!

Seriously, I don't see what the problem is here. I think this kind of exposure is great, and if it works for them, awesome. Doesn't mean we have to emulate them in this way, but good for them all the same.

AL-MO
02-28-2012, 02:12 PM
ill assume some of the calm down comments were directed at me.

I wouldnt make fun of myself for a tv show ( that is how i viewed it), i know alot jump at any opportunity to get in front of the camera and whore themselves out, to each their own.

ill stick to painting banners and supporting the club

I got suckered into some whoring a couple years ago and have hated myself for doing it ever since.

With that said, I chuckled at this. I don't really care what Portland does or any of those other Cascadian fucks.

I'm more surprised that yeoman isn't in this. LOL

Phil
02-28-2012, 02:27 PM
I got suckered into some whoring a couple years ago and have hated myself for doing it ever since.

With that said, I chuckled at this. I don't really care what Portland does or any of those other Cascadian fucks.

I'm more surprised that yeoman isn't in this. LOL

If we are talking about the same event you were offered the opportunity to go and went.

I think you should stop playing the victim on this.

I think we all know what side of things we are on, the additional discussion is not needed.

Nodoubtguy
02-28-2012, 03:40 PM
I'm just gonna say it.....I really like the cat sign!