PDA

View Full Version : MLS Live $60

sully
02-24-2012, 07:09 PM
I see it costs $60 this year. Wasn't it more like $30 last year? Maybe that price is a bit much especially when you can usually find a stream for most games anyway..although the reliability and quality of MLS Live is tempting to buy it. Anyone know if season tickets holders get a better price? I thought I saw P Bierne tweet something about that..

lovesmyirish
02-24-2012, 07:12 PM
I'm not sure about the discount for season ticket holders but I do know that the price was $60 last year. It was well worth it for what they provide.

moralis
02-24-2012, 07:14 PM
Yes, season ticket holders will get a discount price according to MLS and Paul Beirne. It will be e-mailed to season ticket holders soon. From what I read it will be a ten dollar discount - From $60 - $50.

swan
02-24-2012, 07:35 PM
it was 60 bucks last year but there was a deal for 40 at one point..

the thing with it is if you live in there area the game is showing on tv like tsn it will be blocked and you won't be able to see it..

just a heads up

prizby
02-25-2012, 02:41 AM
i heard there was a promo code for $20

there is too many other stuff going on this summer for me to invest $60 for this

swan
02-25-2012, 09:07 AM
20 bucks that would be nice however i just don't see it being that low, i'm hoping i can get it at the 40 bucks again but i think that ship has sailed

Parkdale
02-25-2012, 09:41 AM
sports streaming like that always bundles other content into the pack to add value.

plus $60 for 10 months of content is pretty good (and how many games per week?)

if you like watching MLS soccer, I think it's a fair deal. If you only want to watch TFC, then it might not be worth it.

and hell... the motogp streaming is 100 EUROS for a season.

El Diego
02-25-2012, 10:51 AM
Does this allow you to watch games on demand?

Ossington Mental Youth
02-25-2012, 10:53 AM
yes.
they should offer this cheaper and on xbox. Only see the latter happening.
id be more inclined if they showed all the TFC games but wont spend that much time this summer watching other teams in the MLS, prob catch the odd game although i enjoy them.

kodiakTFC
02-25-2012, 12:54 PM
Does this allow you to watch games on demand?

Yes it allows you to watch it on demand. For the record, it was $40 last season. I also suggest you guys withhold from buying until we get an official word on what games will have a blackout. Last year it was just TSN games (11 last year, 18 this year) and i'm unsure whether the 6 sportsnet games will be.

swan
02-25-2012, 06:57 PM
sports streaming like that always bundles other content into the pack to add value.

plus $60 for 10 months of content is pretty good (and how many games per week?)

if you like watching MLS soccer, I think it's a fair deal. If you only want to watch TFC, then it might not be worth it.

and hell... the motogp streaming is 100 EUROS for a season.

oh ya it is a good deal but if i can get it cheaper it would make it even better..

i have no choice but to get this since i live in the states and since they took them off cbc i can watch any games on tv

Yeoman
02-25-2012, 08:02 PM
i wish rogers did an MLS package as well like they do with all the other sports
maybe i'll write them and suggest that *shrug*

moralis
02-25-2012, 08:12 PM
You should write them to see what they say. The'll probably say there would be little demand. I and many TFC and Canadian MLS fans would buy the package. Try it and good luck.

Yeoman
02-25-2012, 08:29 PM
i doubt it'll go anywhere too, but i mean heck you never know until you ask with this really
i've been debating for a while on just getting a netbook and plugging it into the tv.

sulfur
02-26-2012, 08:24 AM
Might be worth noting that MLS already has this in the US (MLS Direct -- not available in all markets, but essentially like MLS Live, but on TV).

Mark in Ottawa
02-26-2012, 08:35 AM
i wish rogers did an MLS package as well like they do with all the other sports
maybe i'll write them and suggest that *shrug*
Given that Rogers is buying into MLS, they resell Setanta as Sportsnet World and that they own the Sportsnet channel they are already heavily involved in soccer.

Ask em but don't hold your breath on getting anything for a decent price.

Dunkers
02-27-2012, 01:26 AM
I was not impressed with mls live...the local blackouts are too much. Living on the west coast and having the tfc game blacked out for 48hrs is just silly. I am not even close to the market but get blacked out anyway

Oldtimer
02-27-2012, 08:31 AM
I was not impressed with mls live...the local blackouts are too much. Living on the west coast and having the tfc game blacked out for 48hrs is just silly. I am not even close to the market but get blacked out anyway

:facepalm:

I wonder if all of Canada just gets lumped into one bucket?

http://www.sctvguide.ca/features/gwn_set_2.jpg

sulfur
02-27-2012, 12:30 PM
Last year, MLS Live only treated TSN as a "national network", and if a game was on Sportsnet or GolTV, they didn't have a blackout on MLS Live. If it was on TSN? Blackout.

Dunkers
02-27-2012, 01:33 PM
Last year, MLS Live only treated TSN as a "national network", and if a game was on Sportsnet or GolTV, they didn't have a blackout on MLS Live. If it was on TSN? Blackout.

Yeah thats correct, it was only TSN, but there was a good number of games on TSN so that it was noticalbly annoying.

I think it got to me, as I do have season to the whitecaps, so I was supporting the MLS, and when I got back home, id want to watch TFC, and couldnt...

Phil
02-27-2012, 01:38 PM
Hmmmm, couple this with a proxy service and you could cancel cable.

james
02-28-2012, 06:54 PM
speaking of watching games for free from an online stream...anyone know where i can watch the Concacaf Champions League match TFC at home vs Galaxy coming up?? im in England and will not beable to make it to the game but do not want to miss this one!! ??

pdogg
02-28-2012, 06:57 PM
sometimes concacaf.com will stream the games - you need to pre-register at the site (free).

sully
03-04-2012, 10:00 PM
speaking of watching games for free from an online stream...anyone know where i can watch the Concacaf Champions League match TFC at home vs Galaxy coming up?? im in England and will not beable to make it to the game but do not want to miss this one!! ??

http://www.sportsnet.ca/pressroom/2012/03/02/concacaf_tfc_la_galaxy/

some details on how to watch...

Auzzy
03-04-2012, 10:05 PM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/pressroom/2012/03/02/concacaf_tfc_la_galaxy/

some details on how to watch...

With a special Beckham cam... :ack2:

romburgundy
03-04-2012, 10:32 PM
http://www.thereviewcrew.com/news/how-to-get-american-netflix-in-canada-review-of-usvideo-ca/

this might be helpfull for mls live too

kodiakTFC
03-04-2012, 10:38 PM
Where is the update Beirne said we'd get on SSH discount? Also, it would be nice if the blackout page listed Canada as well.

jloome
03-05-2012, 03:17 PM
The price of this has doubled in less than five years. I've had it every year. In 2007 it was 29.99, and you could get it for 19.99 on a deal. The year after that it went up to $40. The year after that it went up to $60.

I guess they're testing market forbearance or something, but they've lost me this year, I think.

polak9pete
03-05-2012, 03:24 PM
60 bucks in nothing for every single mls game this year including DVR and HD quality streams...yeah theres blackouts but if you are getting MLS live then it's probably because you want to watch a lot of other teams play not just your home team...if you only watch TFC then definately do not get this but for those who want the rest its definately worth it..HD games on the big screen through your iphone or ipad (with apple tv) unreal..plus you can use your phone normally while the game is on through multitasking during airplay it doesnt disconnect the stream

kodiakTFC
03-05-2012, 04:41 PM
The price of this has doubled in less than five years. I've had it every year. In 2007 it was 29.99, and you could get it for 19.99 on a deal. The year after that it went up to $40. The year after that it went up to $60.

I guess they're testing market forbearance or something, but they've lost me this year, I think.

Amount of games have gone up, quality of broadcasts is way up and the program itself is far better than ever before.

With that $60 is a bit much but its $50 with out SSH discount, thats fair for me. This deal is worth it for me because somehow I became a fan of this league and enjoy watching a lot of games whilst doing something else. Here's to dual monitors!

jloome
03-06-2012, 05:07 PM
Amount of games have gone up, quality of broadcasts is way up and the program itself is far better than ever before.

With that $60 is a bit much but its $50 with out SSH discount, thats fair for me. This deal is worth it for me because somehow I became a fan of this league and enjoy watching a lot of games whilst doing something else. Here's to dual monitors!

Yeah, times are tight at our house but I might squeeze it somehow.

Got a Warpia StreamHD for Christmas, great for streaming off the laptop onto the big screen.

rocker
03-10-2012, 04:37 PM
So I bought this using the discount. I also installed the new MLS 2012 app for Ipad.

When I go into "videos" I see "LIVE" at the top... but no links or schedule for upcoming games. Anybody know how one will get the live streaming through this Ipad app?

sully
03-10-2012, 07:59 PM
On my iPhone when I hit live it lists the games that are currently live. When I click 'scores' it lists upcoming games.

sully
03-10-2012, 08:10 PM
So I watched the Montreal game on tv and the Columbus game on mls live. The picture quality was actually much better on mls live. Glad I paid for it now.

prizby
03-10-2012, 08:15 PM
can anyone tell me:

- if i miss a game on mls live, can i watch it later?
- if so, then if a game is on tsn and isn't on mls live, can i watch it later?
- if a game is on national broadcast in the states (like espn), can i watch it on mls live in canada?

Ossington Mental Youth
03-10-2012, 08:16 PM
when ive had mls live in the past you can watch the game generally a day later, i think that stands for nationally televised games too

Yohan
03-10-2012, 08:19 PM
when ive had mls live in the past you can watch the game generally a day later, i think that stands for nationally televised games too
I think all games are archived 48hrs after the game

rocker
03-10-2012, 08:27 PM
I had the Colorado - Columbus game on my Ipad while watching the Montreal-Vancouver game on TV. Never noticed any problems, and the quality is like a TV. Very good.

I also find the Ipad app to be quite well designed.

romburgundy
03-10-2012, 08:30 PM
Does anyone have the code for ssh I never got an email

Petor
03-10-2012, 08:44 PM
I connected my tv to my blackberry playbook via hdmi cable and getting MLS Live 1080p wirelessly to the tv from my router :)
With MLS now on Proline I might just sign up! :)

rocker
03-10-2012, 08:49 PM
Does anyone have the code for ssh I never got an email

The code is

2012TICKET15

It's only good to March 10... today.

kodiakTFC
03-10-2012, 09:06 PM
can anyone tell me:

- if i miss a game on mls live, can i watch it later?
- if so, then if a game is on tsn and isn't on mls live, can i watch it later?
- if a game is on national broadcast in the states (like espn), can i watch it on mls live in canada?

- Yes you can. Usually up within 10 minutes.
- You can watch a blacked out game after 48hrs.
- Yes you can. Its honestly way better for Canadians than Americans.

Hope I helped.

prizby
03-10-2012, 10:06 PM
- Yes you can. Usually up within 10 minutes.
- You can watch a blacked out game after 48hrs.
- Yes you can. Its honestly way better for Canadians than Americans.

Hope I helped.

every answer i wanted to hear...im sold

prizby
03-10-2012, 10:12 PM
next question

"Your yearly subscription to MLS Live will automatically renew annually on or about March 1 each year at the prior year's regular full yearly price."

how do i turn off auto-renwal?

Auzzy
03-10-2012, 10:17 PM
I purchased MLS Live last night with the discount. Of course, Vancouver - Montreal was blocked because it's national on TSN. The service mentioned earlier in this thread (described at http://www.thereviewcrew.com/news/how-to-get-american-netflix-in-canada-review-of-usvideo-ca/ ) didn't help. I've sent them a message to find out if something can be done about that -- so far I'm on a free trial of the anti-blocking service.

The next game that's shown as blacked out on MLS Live is the Montreal home opener vs Chicago.

However, great news, I hope this isn't a mistake: TFC's first game at Seattle is being listed as not blocked. I guess because it's on Sportsnet One & not on TSN. That would be awesome, if the TSN games are the only one that are blocked. I can't promise this is true (the blackout info isn't so clear), but in that case it may be more worthwhile for folks to take advantage of the discount & get MLS Live before midnight tonight.

Auzzy
03-10-2012, 10:19 PM
next question

"Your yearly subscription to MLS Live will automatically renew annually on or about March 1 each year at the prior year's regular full yearly price."

This should work: after this year's payment has gone through, login to your account, go to My Account | Update Billing Info, and change your credit card to some bogus number or expiry date. :D

deltox
03-10-2012, 10:38 PM
does anyone see this feed is very pixel-ly?

it looks terrible

Canada72
03-10-2012, 10:42 PM
does anyone see this feed is very pixel-ly?

it looks terrible

Might be your internet connection? Looks fine on my ipad

Auzzy
03-10-2012, 11:09 PM
Perfect for me. Except when it died for a minute or two.

kodiakTFC
03-10-2012, 11:27 PM
next question

Wouldn't even know because it never did that for me, I went in and renewed it.

Auzzy
03-10-2012, 11:32 PM
I think the auto-renewal is new this year.

DOMIN8R
03-11-2012, 05:43 AM
The Van MTRL game was clear but the DC KC game was not very good quality IMO.

rocker
03-11-2012, 11:11 AM
So I watched three games on my Ipad 2 last night. For the COL-CBS game, I just had it upright on the table next to the TV while I watched MTL-VAN. Then for the DC-KC game, I had it upright on the desk next to the computer, surfing the net and looking over when something happened. Then I watched the LA-RSL game in bed with the Ipad propped up on my lap.

I found the quality to be top notch on that screen with the fast internet connection (no lag or other probs). I liked the ability to use gestures to make the screen small so I could look at the match stats (pull the stats down to refresh). For example in the LA game, in the second half I could see the possession # increasing for RSL every time I refreshed. The other good thing with match stats was being able to find out stuff the commentators don't tell you -- they didn't say that Morales got a yellow for taking off his shirt after scoring, but the match stats had the yellow listed as soon as he received it.

The Ipad app also has a good "scores" section where you can see all games in progress and touch the one you want to watch. If the game is over, there's a little pulldown menu that you can bring down for the game and it has all the highlights, one by one, identified by GOAL or SAVE etc. You just touch the highlight and it comes up immediately. Very nice way to peruse all the highlights of all the games that week. Last year I made it a habit to check Mlssoccer.com and watch the key highlights of each game I missed, but sometimes it was a pain in the ass with that website. This app makes that a breeze.

Apparently the Ipad app also has Airplay functionality.. you can project a game on your TV through Apple TV. I think I'll be following MLS this year moreso through the Ipad app than the computer + mlssoccer.com. Much easier.

arsenal
03-11-2012, 11:41 AM
I connected my tv to my blackberry playbook via hdmi cable and getting MLS Live 1080p wirelessly to the tv from my router :)
With MLS now on Proline I might just sign up! :)

Did the same with my playbook. Was beautiful. Also sweet to lay back on the couch and use my 9900 as remote to switch back and forth between the LA and SJ games without having to touch the playbook.

Petor
03-11-2012, 01:04 PM
Did the same with my playbook. Was beautiful. Also sweet to lay back on the couch and use my 9900 as remote to switch back and forth between the LA and SJ games without having to touch the playbook.

9900?
What's that a remote for the playbook? :drool5:

arsenal
03-11-2012, 02:45 PM
9900?
What's that a remote for the playbook? :drool5:

If you have a newer Blackberry phone you can use Bridge function which allows the phone and playbook to communicate. Can use the playbook as screen for phone or the phone as device to control playbook.

Petor
03-11-2012, 03:21 PM
If you have a newer Blackberry phone you can use Bridge function which allows the phone and playbook to communicate. Can use the playbook as screen for phone or the phone as device to control playbook.

Ahhh!
I,m using an Iphone4 playbook combo.
I get all the Iphone4 apps plus if there is no wifi I use Iphone4 as a personal wifi hotshot.

pdogg
03-11-2012, 09:52 PM
Has anyone been able to view the archived games on their tablet? I can watch it on my laptop, but the iPad app will only let me watch live games.

prizby
06-02-2012, 02:32 PM
So I watched three games on my Ipad 2 last night. For the COL-CBS game, I just had it upright on the table next to the TV while I watched MTL-VAN. Then for the DC-KC game, I had it upright on the desk next to the computer, surfing the net and looking over when something happened. Then I watched the LA-RSL game in bed with the Ipad propped up on my lap.

I found the quality to be top notch on that screen with the fast internet connection (no lag or other probs). I liked the ability to use gestures to make the screen small so I could look at the match stats (pull the stats down to refresh). For example in the LA game, in the second half I could see the possession # increasing for RSL every time I refreshed. The other good thing with match stats was being able to find out stuff the commentators don't tell you -- they didn't say that Morales got a yellow for taking off his shirt after scoring, but the match stats had the yellow listed as soon as he received it.

The Ipad app also has a good "scores" section where you can see all games in progress and touch the one you want to watch. If the game is over, there's a little pulldown menu that you can bring down for the game and it has all the highlights, one by one, identified by GOAL or SAVE etc. You just touch the highlight and it comes up immediately. Very nice way to peruse all the highlights of all the games that week. Last year I made it a habit to check Mlssoccer.com and watch the key highlights of each game I missed, but sometimes it was a pain in the ass with that website. This app makes that a breeze.

Apparently the Ipad app also has Airplay functionality.. you can project a game on your TV through Apple TV. I think I'll be following MLS this year moreso through the Ipad app than the computer + mlssoccer.com. Much easier.

i keep trying to download MLS Matchday 2012, but it says the app requires iOS 5...i have an iPad 2, any idea how i can view matches on my iPad?

never mind; figured it out