PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Friday,Feb.24

denime
02-24-2012, 06:38 AM
Mornin`

TFC TV (http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp)

Reds Endure Double Session (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2012/02/reds-endure-double-session)

2012 Toronto FC Preview: Is this finally the year? (http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/02/23/2012-toronto-fc-preview-finally-year)

TFC training camp report: Postcard from camp by Ashtone Morgan (http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/mls/torontofc/article/1135689--tfc-training-camp-report-postcard-from-camp-by-ashtone-morgan)

Eckersley, Toronto defense gearing up for improved 2012 (http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/02/23/eckersley-toronto-defense-gearing-improved-2012)

TSN, RDS to broadcast 36 MLS matches in Canada (http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/02/23/tsn-rds-broadcast-36-mls-matches-canada)

2012 Depth Chart: Toronto FC (http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/02/23/2012-depth-chart-toronto-fc)

Match against Toronto FC at BMO Field Moved to September 12 (http://www.chicago-fire.com/news/2012/02/match-against-toronto-fc-bmo-field-moved-september-12)

De Guzman named to Canadian roster (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2012/02/23/canada_armenia_soccer_friendly_stephen_hart/)

Canadian coach clambers together roster for Armenia friendly (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2012/02/23/sp-soccer-canada-hart.html)

De Guzman heads Canada roster for Armenia friendly (http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/02/23/de-guzman-heads-canada-roster-armenia-friendly)

TFC related blogs ! (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=29582)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshine-girl)

_

Technorgasm
02-24-2012, 08:10 AM
Since I have read Paul James book. . I see JDG in a completely different light. . .

My expectations are sky fucking high for you mate. I give you 5 weeks of regular season to prove your worth to this club. you can do it, I support you as I do all our lads who put on the shirt, but itas time to rise to the occasion.

scooter
02-24-2012, 08:45 AM
mornin d

TOBOR !
02-24-2012, 08:47 AM
SSG : lately they've been putting up 9 photos and I've struggled to get through them... today there are 20 and it wasn't enough. More Breigha please !

Canada72
02-24-2012, 09:52 AM
Couple of notes on the TSN schedule

04/07 in MTL changed to noon kick off - boo
08/15 vs Portlnad changed to 7:30pm kick off - from 7pm
10/20 vs MTL changed to 1:30pm kick off - from 2pm

07/21 (a Sat) moved to 09/12 (a Wed) at 7pm - boo

MLSSoccer.com shows these changes but torontofc.ca does not, yet.

prizby
02-24-2012, 09:53 AM
game moved to september 12th...wtf during WCQ...idiots

Oldtimer
02-24-2012, 10:01 AM

Probably so Chicago could schedule a money-making friendly.

Roogsy
02-24-2012, 10:16 AM
Since I have read Paul James book. . I see JDG in a completely different light. . .

My expectations are sky fucking high for you mate. I give you 5 weeks of regular season to prove your worth to this club. you can do it, I support you as I do all our lads who put on the shirt, but itas time to rise to the occasion.

I'd take his book with a grain of salt. There is lots of misbehaviour by all the participants in the Canadian soccer program. Administrators, coaches and yes, the players. But there are also two sides to every story. PJ has gone out and told his version of things, but let's remember this is a guy who has burned his bridges at almost every soccer job he has had in this country. Were they all always someone elses fault? I can't say that it's just a coincidence his career trajectory is what it is, addiction problems aside.

Globetrotter
02-24-2012, 10:23 AM
Saturday summer game for a mid september Wednesday trade. Sigh.

Technorgasm
02-24-2012, 10:35 AM
I'd take his book with a grain of salt. There is lots of misbehaviour by all the participants in the Canadian soccer program. Administrators, coaches and yes, the players. But there are also two sides to every story. PJ has gone out and told his version of things, but let's remember this is a guy who has burned his bridges at almost every soccer job he has had in this country. Were they all always someone elses fault? I can't say that it's just a coincidence his career trajectory is what it is, addiction problems aside.

could not agree more on all points.
but seems he was singled out as was DERO.
all im saying is that I expect improvement from JDG. . . period

roll on March 7th!
:scarf:

Technorgasm
02-24-2012, 10:41 AM
whats teh story with Lambe?

is this guy the real deal?

Toronto_Bhoy
02-24-2012, 10:41 AM
Is it me or did GOL, Euro Sport and Fox SportsWorld drop off the face of the planet???

I subscribe to all 3 and couldn't find them last night but see something about FSWC closing down next month?

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

Yagbod
02-24-2012, 10:54 AM

This may be the single stupidest thing they have done, in at least a year and a bit. TFC have 9 possible players that could be affected by this (as per Nigel Reed last night). We may be seeing the entire second team plus Academy kids playing what may be a crucial game for the playoffs. Apparently there is also a chance that we may have a CCL game right around then so we are looking at 4 games in 11 days.

And for what?!? So Chicago can have a friendly or even worse, so TFC can have a friendly!?! This makes no sense. Why would TFC agree to this, unless it is us having the friendly. $$$

Suds
02-24-2012, 11:11 AM
This may be the single stupidest thing they have done, in at least a year and a bit. TFC have 9 possible players that could be affected by this (as per Nigel Reed last night). We may be seeing the entire second team plus Academy kids playing what may be a crucial game for the playoffs. Apparently there is also a chance that we may have a CCL game right around then so we are looking at 4 games in 11 days.

And for what?!? So Chicago can have a friendly or even worse, so TFC can have a friendly!?! This makes no sense. Why would TFC agree to this, unless it is us having the friendly. $$$

I am not sure if this is the reason the date was changed, but last year the CONCACAF preliminary games were played at the end of July. Could they be clearing the schedule in anticipation of a game?? :noidea:

[NBF]
02-24-2012, 11:49 AM

Not that I wouldnt mind having a look at Paul James's book but I can't read through books that I already know the ending to, I barely got through "All the presidents men".

And what did he say about deguzman and derosario?

Darlofletch
02-24-2012, 12:47 PM

I'm sure there's a lot of truth to all the incidents he mentions, and I have no problem at all believing there are some rampant egos within the national team, so there's always going to be conflict between highly driven people with different ideas of what's important to succeed. but yeah, the sheer amount of people and players he takes shots at suggests to me that he's at the very least an equal part of the problem. How many times does something have to happen before it stops being everyone else's fault, especially given the issues with insecurity and paranoia he details, and especially if during the time that most of these incident happened, he was on and off crack.

Roogsy
02-24-2012, 02:10 PM
I'm sure there's a lot of truth to all the incidents he mentions, and I have no problem at all believing there are some rampant egos within the national team, so there's always going to be conflict between highly driven people with different ideas of what's important to succeed. but yeah, the sheer amount of people and players he takes shots at suggests to me that he's at the very least an equal part of the problem. How many times does something have to happen before it stops being everyone else's fault, especially given the issues with insecurity and paranoia he details, and especially if during the time that most of these incident happened, he was on and off crack.

I don't suspect there are rampant egos...I know there are rampant egos, from all sides, even from the sides you would assume I would be an apologist for. What does confuse me is the surprise people have when they find out that there are these huge egos in the world of sport. There will be clashes. There will be drama. There will be misbehaviour. If we don't want to know or see or hear about it, I would recommend staying as far away from inside information as is possible and simply watching the games for the sport.

Oldtimer
02-24-2012, 03:04 PM
;1448451']Not that I wouldnt mind having a look at Paul James's book but I can't read through books that I already know the ending to, I barely got through "All the presidents men".

And what did he say about deguzman and derosario?

Says De Guzman is highly skilled technically but thinks he has issues with a pessimistic outlook.

He doesn't like DeRo, thinks there are "character" issues (which is a little hard to take coming from someone mixed up with what James' been mixed up with).

prizby
02-24-2012, 03:12 PM

that question where he got that info was from me last night ;)

according to luke wileman, both teams would have had to agree to the switch!...i mean if you are going to play a game in the middle of WCQ, at least put it on a Saturday (Sept. 8) so A. away fans can travel cuz i know there are now some disappointed chicago fans and B. so we don't play 2 games within 72 hours of each other

I am not sure if this is the reason the date was changed, but last year the CONCACAF preliminary games were played at the end of July. Could they be clearing the schedule in anticipation of a game?? :noidea:

ccl changed this year, 8 groups of 3, 6 match dates, play on 4 of them

ArmenJBX
02-24-2012, 03:44 PM
whats teh story with Lambe?

is this guy the real deal?

He's not bad, really fast and the players seem to rate him.

Again, we won't know until he plays. I don't see him starting yet, but we'll see

Yohan
02-24-2012, 04:51 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/blog/out-focus/2012/02/24/out-focus-koevermans-ideas-guy

Koevermans with the lulz

Yohan
02-24-2012, 06:32 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/grant_wahl/02/24/mls-west-notes/index.html#ixzz1nLRTxJxw

Interesting column from Wahl about various topics in MLS

tfcfan2011
02-24-2012, 09:20 PM
I don't suspect there are rampant egos...I know there are rampant egos, from all sides, even from the sides you would assume I would be an apologist for. What does confuse me is the surprise people have when they find out that there are these huge egos in the world of sport. There will be clashes. There will be drama. There will be misbehaviour. If we don't want to know or see or hear about it, I would recommend staying as far away from inside information as is possible and simply watching the games for the sport.

for me, this is why I dont really go out to the meet and greet stuff, or like to meet players. it would really suck to go to the games to watch these players, many of whom are really talented, only to find out they're total douches in 'real life'. a friend tried to buy a player for the leafs a drink in a bar one time - could never be a fan of that guy again - douche.

Flipityflu
02-24-2012, 09:30 PM
for me, this is why I dont really go out to the meet and greet stuff, or like to meet players. it would really suck to go to the games to watch these players, many of whom are really talented, only to find out they're total douches in 'real life'. a friend tried to buy a player for the leafs a drink in a bar one time - could never be a fan of that guy again - douche.

I Agree. it gets harder to do the older you get. i wish i could look at players the same way i did when i was 8.

rocker
02-24-2012, 10:27 PM
Says De Guzman is highly skilled technically but thinks he has issues with a pessimistic outlook.

He doesn't like DeRo, thinks there are "character" issues (which is a little hard to take coming from someone mixed up with what James' been mixed up with).

I actually thought the DeRo stuff in the James book sounded just about right. I mean, he's had problems with more coaches than just Paul James.

People say James is taking shots at people, but as pointed out at the book, DeRo took a major shot at Paul James on live TV. Molinaro called the book settling scores, but if people pull shit on you, they settled scores already.

I do think he tends to focus on the negative for a lot of the book, but he doesn't seem to want to boast about the success he's had either -- maybe he feels that would be too much for a memoir -- like showing off. He has had success in many positions. He really turned things around at York. But the drugs did him in, sadly.

Auzzy
02-24-2012, 10:42 PM
I just read that the TTC's new Chief Operating Officer, almost Interim Chief General Manager, and potential future Chief General Manager, Andy Byford, is a life-long Plymouth Argyles fan. Still has a season ticket.

We need to get him talking with Paul Mariner. Maybe Andy can improve the post-game streetcar service.... :D

http://www.thestar.com/news/transportation/article/1136486--ttc-s-new-driver-andy-byford-rolls-up-his-sleeves-and-gets-to-work?bn=1

ag futbol
02-24-2012, 11:43 PM
People say James is taking shots at people, but as pointed out at the book, DeRo took a major shot at Paul James on live TV. Molinaro called the book settling scores, but if people pull shit on you, they settled scores already.

I don't think James taking shots at people is new. I also don't think he speaks from a position of strength when making his opinions heard on adversarial matters. This quote from Tam Nsaliwa's blog pretty much says it all to me:

"To think his already unbalanced behavior coupled with, crack of ALL drugs, had in no way effected how he acted and thus how people he dealt with directly reacted to him is a sign that some more reflection is needed in ones life."

So I admire him for coming forward and sharing with people his experiences, but separately I still think there remains issues with the way he recounts the past and (if anything like described by some) the rationality of his actions.

rocker
02-25-2012, 03:50 PM
I don't think James taking shots at people is new. I also don't think he speaks from a position of strength when making his opinions heard on adversarial matters. This quote from Tam Nsaliwa's blog pretty much says it all to me:

"To think his already unbalanced behavior coupled with, crack of ALL drugs, had in no way effected how he acted and thus how people he dealt with directly reacted to him is a sign that some more reflection is needed in ones life."

So I admire him for coming forward and sharing with people his experiences, but separately I still think there remains issues with the way he recounts the past and (if anything like described by some) the rationality of his actions.

What specific concerns do you have from the book about how he recounts the past?

The guy reflects heavily on his own behaviour, the drugs, and how that affected his relationships with other people. James admits time and again he was a loner, he didn't relate well with people, that he was overly anxious about others, that he knows people found him awkward to be around (see in the Singapore section). I think his players, reading this, maybe would have a better understanding of why he was the way he was.

If people think James isn't being reflective, then they haven't read the book at all. It's not simply a book where he takes shots at people. He also praises a great number of people, including Chris Williams, who played on the same team as Tam Nsaliwa.

He also criticizes himself heavily in the book, both for being a druggie and for not relating well with people. But that doesn't absolve the people he criticizes for doing things like staging team revolts while at tournaments or forcing him to not play certain players.