PDA

View Full Version : CCL: long may you run!

__wowza
02-21-2012, 02:56 PM
alright, in lieu of the songbooks for the game, i'm going to be doing up leaflets with the lyrics for "long may you run" on them. im going to suggest singing it before we let a streamer shower go.

who wants to lend a hand handing them out to the supporters section? from my understanding we have 117 - 121. im going to need a person at least in each of these sections to be handing them out. let me know if you'd like to help. i'll be posting the .doc file on here this weekend if you wanna print off a few yourself. know the song for the game folks.

LET'S MAKE THIS HAPPEN.

(mods please leave this on here and not in the chants section, im looking for volunteers)

prizby
02-21-2012, 04:38 PM
i have no idea how it goes

AL-MO
02-21-2012, 05:32 PM

^ that is the problem right there. And without some 'practice' noone is going to sing it.

We had the chance a couple years ago to get it going at an away viewing, but no one brought the audio, so no one sang.

Given the scale of this game I think we should stick to the ones that have worked in the past. There is going to be plenty of people at the game that don't even know our staples.

J .
02-22-2012, 12:31 AM
^ that is the problem right there. And without some 'practice' noone is going to sing it.

We had the chance a couple years ago to get it going at an away viewing, but no one brought the audio, so no one sang.

Given the scale of this game I think we should stick to the ones that have worked in the past. There is going to be plenty of people at the game that don't even know our staples.

:flare::scarf::flare:

trane
02-22-2012, 11:31 AM
How about a simple " L.A. FUCK YOU" chant or "Die ladycakes Die you fucking dirty cunt", "FUCK YOU BECY FUCK YOU " ?

Brooker
02-22-2012, 12:00 PM
Wheels on the bus, please!

prizby
02-22-2012, 12:13 PM
You can stick that David Beckham up your ass! UP YOUR ASS!
Stick that David Beckham up your ass! UP YOUR ASS!
You can stick that David Beckham, You can stick that David Beckham,
You can stick that David Beckham up your ass!

The Wheels on the bus go round and round,
round and round, round and round.
The wheels on the bus go round and round,
LANDON YOUR A C*NT!

Fort York Redcoat
02-22-2012, 12:19 PM

Prizby. Really?

nszR0tfp4Es

We've been through
Some things together
With trunks of memories
Still to come
We found things to do
In stormy weather
Long may you run.

Long may you run.
Long may you run.
Although these changes
Have come
With your chrome heart shining
In the sun
Long may you run.

///

We both know that this post above took less time than you typing the wheels on the bus. Just sayin'

prizby
02-22-2012, 02:12 PM
Prizby. Really?

nszR0tfp4Es

We've been through
Some things together
With trunks of memories
Still to come
We found things to do
In stormy weather
Long may you run.

Long may you run.
Long may you run.
Although these changes
Have come
With your chrome heart shining
In the sun
Long may you run.

///

We both know that this post above took less time than you typing the wheels on the bus. Just sayin'

if you listen to ours or any other hardchorus then listen to the actual song, sounds very different; i get the idea, i don't know how it'd go without the music

Keyman
02-22-2012, 02:24 PM
introducing new chants during a game is always challenging. from experience, it seldom works. those that do are often organic and have a maximum of three, maybe four lines.

i think long may you run is a great song, but expecting it to be sung at the game is a bit ambitious. it can be done, but you would need people there early, and you would need them to sing the song endlessly. people would eventually catch on. if you introduce it at, say, the 20th minute, then it will flop.

TOBOR !
02-22-2012, 02:25 PM
what we need is someone recognized to be Song/Chant Laureate to head up a Song/Chant Committee. There, the merits of various ideas could be discussed and passed out to the masses.

Not just a forum where ambitious ideas come to die and everything devolves into a mash of OLE-ALLEZ-OLA's.

cherono
02-22-2012, 02:53 PM
"Wheels on the bus" is a masterpiece worthy of Neil Young IMHO. Another, easier Can-Con suggestion:
"Ohhh the good old TFC
We're the best team in the league
and the best team in the league
is the good old TFC"
Now, we're patently not, but some variation on that uniquely Canadian tune could work if there are some creative types here...

Keyman
02-22-2012, 02:56 PM
what we need is someone recognized to be Song/Chant Laureate to head up a Song/Chant Committee. There, the merits of various ideas could be discussed and passed out to the masses.

Not just a forum where ambitious ideas come to die and everything devolves into a mash of OLE-ALLEZ-OLA's.

it's a good idea, but i see one key roadblock.

there are so many conflicting styles in the stands that it's difficult for them to be reconciled, to synthesize them into a song book that appreciates the group's diversity.

you've already labeled chants with allez/ole/etc as somehow inferior. in my opinion, that's problematic, as there are many people who prefer these chants. as cliche as it sounds, i think diversity is our strength. stylistically, our vocal support cannot be compartmentalized or regionalized. trying to impose a style of support in a top down method, although efficient, has the potential to be incredibly divisive in the eyes of somebody, and more likely many. if such a committee existed, it would need to be comprised of members from different "backgrounds". we need a songbook that is reflective of our group's multifariousness, and one that is truly inclusive. to me, that would be the primary responsibility of, and challenge faced by, the committee.

__wowza
02-22-2012, 03:53 PM

from what i've seen, this wouldn't be a bad idea.

as great as "organic" chants go, getting them to work is always a struggle unless they're simplistic (sometimes too simplistic). what we need is a.. wait for it.. poll.

get a bunch of chants, vote on them, and adopt them as our chants for the year. a pool of 15-20 that we can not only draw from, but that we can identify as worth knowing to anyone attending games (please don't compare that number with what's in the song section, i haven't heard half of those ever sung at games before). anything that doesn't work out gets put on the sidelines until it's touched up and voted into the rotation. we brainstorm ideas for TIFOs, membership scarves, etc, so why not chants?

i'm trying to put a little initiative in here based off of the fact that i like it, and from what i've seen in the chants section it has a fair amount of support. what im saying is that i'm going to try and get it started anyway.

i hate, with the fire of a thousand suns, the fact that i see almost a hundred different chants posted within the past season that have never been followed up on past "it could/couldnt work".

i'm ranting, i know, but it's not out of anger. it's out of the fact that so much more could be done if any of these ideas ever got out of the gate. over the past two seasons, i've done up 2 "master-books" of every chant we've done, every chant i've heard at a game, or have seen a final version on the board, and my findings were that we have a metric FUCKTON of chants. player chants, opposing team chants, you name it.

where this is all going is that when i tried to make a songbook up for the CCL game, everything came back down to three basic points:

i heard "i don't know that one"
i heard "we don't sing it enough at a game to be consistent"
i heard "we need to sync it up with the other supporters in the section, and that won't happen"

so instead of printing up a thousand songbooks of things that fit the above criteria, i thought i'd take this route. i like "long may you run" and from what i've seen, a lot of other people here like it to.

i'm just going to give it the kick in the ass i think it needs.
if it works, it works.
if it falls flat on it's face, then the most i've spent is time and paper.

sorry for the novel.

TOBOR !
02-22-2012, 04:13 PM
it's a good idea, but i see one key roadblock.

there are so many conflicting styles in the stands that it's difficult for them to be reconciled, to synthesize them into a song book that appreciates the group's diversity.

you've already labeled chants with allez/ole/etc as somehow inferior. in my opinion, that's problematic, as there are many people who prefer these chants. as cliche as it sounds, i think diversity is our strength. stylistically, our vocal support cannot be compartmentalized or regionalized. trying to impose a style of support in a top down method, although efficient, has the potential to be incredibly divisive in the eyes of somebody, and more likely many. if such a committee existed, it would need to be comprised of members from different "backgrounds". we need a songbook that is reflective of our group's multifariousness, and one that is truly inclusive. to me, that would be the primary responsibility of, and challenge faced by, the committee.

I'm not saying they are inferior. There are simply too many of them. The reason for this, I feel, is their simplicity.

Take LMYR, for instance. It's not hard. We're not even suggesting reworking the lyrics. Sure, perhaps none of us belong on a stage, but all of us singing it together would sound great. But what happens is we shy away from it, and out come calls for simpler chants.

Start a thread about an Allez/OLE song/chant and the response is generally 'sounds great - easy to do'. Sure it does, and yes it is, but at the end of the day it's all we end up with. This is what I meant.

You point about diversity being our strength is understood as well - and I agree - but this is not generally reflected in the song/chant selection.

Further to this, if there isn't an organizing committee of sorts there'll be little or no agreement on anything and we'll continue to have loads of these threads that 'yeah - sounds great - let's do it' sinking to the bottom of the boards, waiting for their annual BUMP (read Arcade Fire - Wake Up).

__wowza
02-22-2012, 04:30 PM
:topic:

can we stick to looking for volunteers?

i didn't want to get into a discussion about it, but i knew it would happen here. the discussion goes in THIS (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=200) thread, where it's been for the past four years.

TOBOR !
02-23-2012, 09:34 AM
OMG. He's right... it's been four years.

:picard:

TOBOR !
02-27-2012, 02:55 PM
b-u-m-p-i-t-y-b-u-m-p

AL-MO
02-27-2012, 10:24 PM

i didn't want to get into a discussion about it, but i knew it would happen here. the discussion goes in THIS (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=200) thread, where it's been for the past four years.

I'm not really sure what you expected.

Song sheets with the chants that are actually going to be sung should be made up and distributed. This was discussed a while ago. (January?) I have no idea how that changed to making up a sheet for a song that noone has sung in five years and won't be sung on a large scale on March 7th.

You are wasting your time and energy on this. This is not to say that it will never be sung at a TFC game, but March 7th is not the game to "try things out". We need to go with our staples.

denime
02-27-2012, 10:27 PM
I'm not really sure what you expected.

Song sheets with the chants that are actually going to be sung should be made up and distributed. This was discussed a while ago. (January?) I have no idea how that changed to making up a sheet for a song that noone has sung in five years and won't be sung on a large scale on March 7th.

You are wasting your time and energy on this. This is not to say that it will never be sung at a TFC game, but March 7th is not the game to "try things out". We need to go with our staples.

This

lobo
02-28-2012, 12:12 AM
i think it's a great initiative on wowza's part, and really don't see what difference it makes trying it out at this game or any other, gotta start somewhere even if just a few of us willing to give it a go

London
02-28-2012, 08:06 AM
this is best suited for trying at a regular home match,

this game is going to be chaos as it is in the stands, every regular person will have at least 2-3 non regulars standing beside them that they brought.

It will be tough enough to get these people on the same page with simple chants,

this is a good initiative but in the wrong place in my opinion

AL-MO
02-28-2012, 02:02 PM

i think it's a great initiative on wowza's part, and really don't see what difference it makes trying it out at this game or any other, gotta start somewhere even if just a few of us willing to give it a go

Figures the two guys with 'long you may run' scarves in their signatures are for it regardless. LOL

MG42
02-28-2012, 02:28 PM
OMG. He's right... it's been four years.

:picard:

lol wow time flies...

TFC_Allez
02-28-2012, 04:10 PM
Love the idea of Long May You Run, but I don't think it will work out on the scale you imagine in your mind on March 7th. I agree with AL-MO that we should stick to our staples for that game and go balls to the wall and belt out the songs we know and love.

Long May You Run has the potential to become a classic, but it needs time. I personally have no idea what the tune sounds like and I don't really feel like "learning on the job" at the biggest game in our history so far, and I'm sure I'm not alone. If you guys try to start it up, I'll try my best to pick up on it as best as I can, and the same can be said for whoever will be sitting in the same section as me...but I don't think its worth printing out a couple hundred sheets of paper when there's this much of a split.

Don't get me wrong, I'm ALL FOR new chants, and I definitely think it's needed, but I don't think March 7th is the right occasion to try new things, like AL-MO originally said.

TOBOR !
02-28-2012, 11:38 PM
Not trying to be a wiseguy, but to learn the tune, try clicking on one of the links posted above.

Now, since we have banner painting ideas and whatnot, I suggest we could try somerhing like monthly
Singsongs to hone our skills on current songs and learn new ones and float ideas. We could have them.in the afternoon. At a pub.

Would anyone go for that ?

Parkdale
03-03-2012, 01:27 PM
I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE the song, but we need to work it out at tailgates or at the pub before 'going live'.

for the CCL game... KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID

I would rather hear 45,000 people singing 't-f-c-clap-clap-clap' instead of 100 singing a complicated song.

I honestly think that nothing should be more complicated than The Bounce, The Massive or Just can't Get Enough.

I'm hesitant to say that even Sloop TFC is too complicated to 'teach' at the skydome

TFCDP
03-03-2012, 02:35 PM
Why don't we get them to play the song at crocodile rock.. We'll see if it catches on... It's a rare opportunity where all SG will be together.