PDA

View Full Version : TFC Supporters Press Release re: All-Star Game Protest

Pages : [1] 2

Jack
07-10-2008, 03:27 PM
Time to get ready for the All-Star Game, people.

PRESS RELEASE July 10, 2008
For immediate release

TORONTO FC SUPPORTERS TO PROTEST DURING MLS ALL-STAR GAME

A coalition of Toronto FC supporters groups will stage a silent protest during the upcoming Major League Soccer all-star game at BMO Field in Toronto.

The groups are increasingly concerned about the possible expansion of BMO Field to accommodate CFL football and specifically the Toronto Argonauts. The groups feel strongly that this would ruin the unique experience that has made Toronto FC such a successful franchise. It is not possible to fit a CFL field into the stadium without major reconstruction.

Toronto FC's most rabid supporters will sit rather than stand during the all-star game. There will be limited chanting and cheering. They will wear black. Many of these supporters have pledged to boycott Toronto FC games should the stadium be retrofitted for CFL football.

"This is not an anti-Argos protest," said Pedro Almeida, leader of the North End Elite supporters group. "Many of our members are Argos fans. We have nothing against the Argos or the CFL. We wish them the best of success. But Toronto FC fans signed up in the thousands to support this team based on the premise of it being a soccer-specific stadium with real grass and an intimate setting. We didn't get the grass. We better get to keep the intimate setting."

Fans around the world mock MLS soccer when they see highlights of games being played in cavernous NFL stadiums decorated with football yardlines.

"The supporters groups are united on this," said Jack DePoe, president of the Red Patch Boys. "The club, the players, the media, everyone has acknowledged the contribution of the supporters groups in the club's success. We want everyone to understand how upset we are about the possibility of a CFL football retrofit. We won't stand for this kind of expansion."

"This was supposed to be our national soccer stadium," said Rudi Schuller, one of the leaders of U Sector. "But the national team players have already made it clear they prefer to play in other venues because of the Field Turf. Rebuilding for the CFL would further take BMO Field away from being the national soccer stadium."

Soccer-specific stadiums has long been a key part of the league's business plan. Seven of the league's 14 teams currently play in SS stadiums. Two others will move into SS stadiums within the next year. The rest have plans to build one.

For more information, contact Jack with Red Patch Boys

GabrielHurl
07-10-2008, 03:30 PM
let's get 'er done folks

Lenny Dikestra
07-10-2008, 03:32 PM
hahahahhahaahhaahahhahahahahahaha

Kickit09
07-10-2008, 03:32 PM
wearing black is pointless now.... unless you support MLS all-stars. i'll be wearing red as usual

Jack
07-10-2008, 03:34 PM
hahahahhahaahhaahahhahahahahahaha

Didn't you leave for good?

H Bomb
07-10-2008, 03:36 PM
wearing black is pointless now.... unless you support MLS all-stars. i'll be wearing red as usual

Wearing Black isn't pointless, are we so easy to bail on our principles?

Also hey why don't we ban Lenny? Any reasonable responses would be appreciated.

werewolf
07-10-2008, 03:37 PM
should be a bit in there of how we are honoured the league supports our protest by giving the all-stars black jerseys to wear.

ilikemusic
07-10-2008, 03:41 PM
I keep thinking the thread title says 'podcast'

:rofl:

Gobi
07-10-2008, 03:42 PM
Good job Jack (and Pedro and Rudi).

Yeah, um, black eh? Lemme check my closet... ;)

yellowfellow
07-10-2008, 03:43 PM
I say we all wear GREEN in a protest to get real grass at BMO!!!

Dinodoc
07-10-2008, 03:44 PM
Soccer-specific stadiums has long been a key part of the league's business plan. Seven of the league's 14 teams currently play in SS stadiums. Two others will move into SS stadiums within the next year. The rest have plans to build one.I do admit grammatically speaking I am not the best judge, however shouldn't this be:

Soccer-specific stadiums have long been a key part of the league's business plan. Seven of the league's 14 teams currently play in SS stadiums. Two others will move into SS stadiums within the next year. The rest have plans to build one.

And I also like the idea of thanking the league for giving the all stars black jerseys to help support our cause lol

Shaughno
07-10-2008, 03:44 PM
And smoke some green while we're at it, show them we really mean business!

Kickit09
07-10-2008, 03:47 PM
and by the end of the game we'll forget what we were even protesting

masrawy
07-10-2008, 03:48 PM
Wearing black is just one aspect of the protest, some of you are overlooking the silent part. The supporter groups won't be organizing any of the support, no drums, no megaphones, no flags, no banners, no standing. Look at it as a chance to kick back and enjoy a meaningless game, while at the same time sending out the message that we're not happy with the talks with the Argos.

GabrielHurl
07-10-2008, 03:48 PM

you really think so?

Gobi
07-10-2008, 03:49 PM
Will this be sent to all the usual media outlets?

Kickit09
you really think so?

it was a joke refering to smoking some green

McBrace

But the Consessions will have long lineups!:D

TO DEVILS
07-10-2008, 03:50 PM
This is a joint effort of all groups....so we ask all members of all groups to embrace it and make this happen.

Thanks

ExiledRed
How fucking depressing, and completely aimed at the wrong people (MLS, as opposed to MLSE, the city, the argos)

Much better to show up and cheer for West Ham as a humourous attack on MLS incompetence, but whatever floats your boat.

I'll be selling my tix if the stadiums going to be sat down wearing black and not participating, what a drag.

masrawy

Yup. We're pimping our connects to the max for this thing.

Shaughno
Munchies and pasties be gone... now at our concession stands!

TO DEVILS
07-10-2008, 03:51 PM

All canadian media has received a copy.;)

US Media will be hit tomorrow.;)

Nerepis
Good job Jack, I'll be wearing black here on the east coast while I'm watching the game on the telly.

In a related story, I think I'll wear black everyday to protest the Trolls on this board.

werewolf
I am in support of the protest, but am still cheering for West Ham and booing the twats on MLS that I don't care for.

Jack
07-10-2008, 03:52 PM
How fucking depressing, and completely aimed at the wrong people (MLS, as opposed to MLSE, the city, the argos)

Much better to show up and cheer for West Ham as a humourous attack on MLS incompetence, but whatever floats your boat.

I'll be selling my tix if the stadiums going to be sat down wearing black and not participating, what a drag.
It's aimed at bringing the most attention possible to the issue.

Plus, this is MLSE's marquee event as far as TFC is concerned. You don't think they'll get the message?

TO DEVILS
07-10-2008, 03:53 PM

You are not looking beyond the end of the glass...

Who is hosting? Whose home stadium it is?

I rather do something, than down the road complain about nothing been done. Anyways....

masrawy
07-10-2008, 03:54 PM

Don't you think the whole Argos situation is a more pressing issue at the moment? I think we can agree that we had to do something about this year. What other game would you suggest? A TFC match? I'd be down for that, but good luck getting anyone else involved.

The way I see it, it's our stadium, what better way to say that we don't care about the AS Game than to protest a completely separate issue?

TO DEVILS
I am in support of the protest, but am still cheering for West Ham and booing the twats on MLS that I don't care for.

Just do it sitting down.:D

The Kingpin

I'd like to know this as well... I'll be watching... And make sure to bring your WHU shirts as well.

deeznutz
fuck em all.....

TO DEVILS
07-10-2008, 03:55 PM
I'd like to know this as well... I'll be watching... And make sure to bring your WHU shirts as well.

All Major Canadian Media Outlets have received a copy.

US tomorrow.

yellowfellow
07-10-2008, 03:55 PM
a S.S.S. banner between section 111 and 112 (instead of The Fortress banner)

Jack
07-10-2008, 03:56 PM
Yes, we're sending it to all the media contacts that RPB, NEE and U-Sector have.

Shaughno
Just do it sitting down.:D

I'll gladly sit for this game, but I plan to make a mockery of this game by any means possible. Black sweater over ebay WHU jersey ;)

flatpicker
I'm torn on the issue... (what else is new... so indecisive am I)... (sounded like Yoda there)

I see where the group is coming from... I see the need to make a point...
But I also see ExiledRed's point... I wanna have fun.
I probably would have preferred a loud protest rather than a silent one.
Big banners that make our point clearly on television.

The Kingpin
07-10-2008, 03:57 PM
Yes, we're sending it to all the media contacts that RPB, NEE and U-Sector have.

Good stuff guys! And boo the shit out of Garber for me. He's making a mockery of this city right now...

ExiledRed
07-10-2008, 03:57 PM
I think its the wrong message to send to the american audience who are the source of this 'exposure' that the all star game is supposed to be generating, and I dont believe they really give a fuck what we canadians do with our stadium.

I think if a protest were to be made at this game, it should be directed at MLS, because they are the event. I think a silent protest will hurt us in our exposure to the british press who will be covering the game and unable to put it into context, while the stadium coming out for West Ham would send a completely different, positive message, to all the right people.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-10-2008, 03:58 PM
i plan on taking part in this and plan on encouraging the people coming with me to do so as well.

Jack
07-10-2008, 03:59 PM
I think its the wrong message to send to the american audience who are the source of this 'exposure' that the all star game is supposed to be generating, and I dont believe they really give a fuck what we canadians do with our stadium.

I think if a protest were to be made at this game, it should be directed at MLS, because they are the event. I think a silent protest will hurt us in our exposure to the british press who will be covering the game and unable to put it into context, while the stadium coming out for West Ham would send a completely different, positive message, to all the right people.

Don't you think they'll be asking why the stadium that's known for its atmosphere is so quiet?

yellowfellow
07-10-2008, 04:00 PM
Are we sure that Garber doesn't want to keep BMO as SSS? He has been promoting SSS for all MLS teams...

Shaughno
Don't you think they'll be asking why the stadium that's known for it's atmosphere is so quiet?

Might jump to the simple conclusion of, hey TFC ain't playing so maybe they don't care...

Cashcleaner
I liking the press release as is. It gets the point across and I believe targets exactly the right people. This is an issue that needs exposure and the All-Star game is the best way to receive that exposure.

masrawy
07-10-2008, 04:03 PM

Why would we care about the American audience or the British press? All I care about is maintaining the integrity of our stadium. I doubt the Americans and Brits will give a fuck what we do, like you said, but I don't give a fuck what they think. This protest if for the City and the FO, stop the talks with the Argos, the stadium is heading in the wrong direction and this is our only chance at doing something this year.

I know you have your grievances with the MLS, we all do, but at this point I think our priority should be with the Argos situation.

And you do the math, a team composed of the players we hate the most vs. West Ham, I expect us to cheer for WHU naturally. We're not asking people to tape up their mouths and sit on their hands, it's just that the groups won't be putting too much effort into organizing any of the support.

It'll be a two pronged attack really, the people that disagree with organization in the stands will see how important it is :D.

OneLoveOneEric
07-10-2008, 04:09 PM
Nobody except people on this board and the 10 people that read TFC coverage in whatever press reports on this release will have a clue what is going on.

Laurie79
07-10-2008, 04:10 PM
IMO this is the wrong place and time to express our displeasure. This match might mean something to the participants and people watching across North America. We are simply hosting the event. It seems rather selfish to wait for a time that 'doesn't affect TFC' to try and ruin the atmosphere for everyone else because we are unhappy about something? Further to that point, something that is nowhere near happening in the immediate future.

I'm sure the media will seize the opportunity to poke fun at us for still wearing our black in protest even after the unveiling of the Allstar shirts. I know I would. Particularly as no TFC member will be in the black shirt. ahem.

I'll be participating and cheering for West Ham and I'll express my anger to the appropriate Canadian organizations IF and WHEN the time comes.

Vancity RED
Unfortunately, this is MLSE’s modus operandi – sucker the fans in and give them just enough to get all passionate, then take their money and screw ‘em over. It’s just a matter of time…

masrawy
Nobody except people on this board and the 10 people that read TFC coverage in whatever press reports on this release will have a clue what is going on.

All the people that read this board, our board, U-Sector, and the Ultras are the only people making noise in the stands. If we're quiet, the whole stadium will be quiet, guarantee you that.

But yeah, I'll go post it for the part timers over at BS.

masrawy
07-10-2008, 04:11 PM
IMO this is the wrong place and time to express our displeasure. This match might mean something to the participants and people watching across North America. We are simply hosting the event. It seems rather selfish to wait for a time that 'doesn't affect TFC' to try and ruin the atmosphere for everyone else because we are unhappy about something? Further to that point, something that is nowhere near happening in the immediate future.

Hell yeah we're selfish, our stadium, our soapbox, we'll use the stands as we please.

Jack
07-10-2008, 04:14 PM

I'm sure the media will seize the opportunity to poke fun at us for still wearing our black in protest even after the unveiling of the Allstar shirts. I know I would. Particularly as no TFC member will be in the black shirt. ahem.

I'll be participating and cheering for West Ham and I'll express my anger to the appropriate Canadian organizations IF and WHEN the time comes.

Why would we care about them? The participants? You mean all the best players from all the teams we hate?

ExiledRed
07-10-2008, 04:14 PM
Why would we care about the American audience or the British press? All I care about is maintaining the integrity of our stadium. I doubt the Americans and Brits will give a fuck what we do, like you said, but I don't give a fuck what they think.

Then why stage a protest for them, they are the audience, those there brits and americans. Canadians, torontonians and such dont give a fuck about this game.

This protest if for the City and the FO, stop the talks with the Argos, the stadium is heading in the wrong direction and this is our only chance at doing something this year.

Why? Because we dont have the nads to do it at a TFC match? weve got several of those on the schedule.

I know you have your grievances with the MLS, we all do, but at this point I think our priority should be with the Argos situation.

And what is the Argo's situation currently? There are no plans on the table are there?

And you do the math, a team composed of the players we hate the most vs. West Ham, I expect us to cheer for WHU naturally.

And if we did that BMO style, it would be like a slap in the face to all of those cunts in the rest of MLS. Maybe not as important as letting the city and FO know, (like they already do) that we dont want the argos, but definitely a clearer and more targeted message, given that it would reach directly to the audience.

bangersandmash
07-10-2008, 04:15 PM

Thank goodness for a voice of reason.

Kickit09
07-10-2008, 04:16 PM
what if we go to an argos game in TFC gear by the hundreds and protest there? :D

Boris
07-10-2008, 04:16 PM
And smoke some green while we're at it, show them we really mean business!

.....:D now we're talking!!!

Jack
07-10-2008, 04:19 PM
You guys seem to be forgetting that MLS was expecting us to "put on a show" for them at this game, like the trained monkeys they think we are.

werewolf
07-10-2008, 04:21 PM
Thank goodness for a voice of reason.

so this protest beign organized is the only thing stopping everyone from cheering for landycakes and Hejduk.....:rolleyes:

DOMIN8R
We're fooling ourselves if we think that it will be quiet. There will be plenty of tourists excited to see golden balls et all. Not to mention that WHU Hammer Heads. It will less noisy but it won't be quiet.

bdrs
I'll be wearing TFC red. Think this one is missing the big picture boys.

bangersandmash
07-10-2008, 04:28 PM
so this protest beign organized is the only thing stopping everyone from cheering for landycakes and Hejduk.....:rolleyes:

I want a strong TFC to play in a strong MLS. Having the MLS allstars win might gather a little more attention for players from other leagues to consider MLS. I have more reasons to cheer on a strong MLS side than I do to cheer for WHU. And as for cheering for our rivals' players... player movement is really, really high in the MLS. Hejduk could end up playing for us next year.

TheHollister
07-10-2008, 04:32 PM
If I can get a ticket, I'll be there..and black will be incredibly easy to find in my wardrobe. :D

TFC Tifoso
07-10-2008, 04:33 PM

Why? MLS would probably be on our side in supporting a SSS.
And should this press release make the newspapers ot radio, then all press, including british will know exactly what this is about. They have nearly 2 more weeks to figure it out.

Good job to all parties involved.

masrawy
07-10-2008, 04:34 PM
Why? Because we dont have the nads to do it at a TFC match? weve got several of those on the schedule.

You hit the nail on the head. Too many people either don't give a fuck or will tell you "don't tell me what to do". This is our only chance to address the situation with the Argos, and that's more important to me than poking the MLS in the eye and looking good to the British media at this point in time.

And the Argos situation keeps going and coming, all I know is that they're a sneaky pack of rats, and one day the wheels are going to start turning at the city and I don't want to look back and say I could have done something. Maybe the city and the FO don't understand how much this will piss us off, this is our chance to show them how BMO will be without us.

One important thing missing from the press release, no supporter group banners, only anti-gridiron/pro-sss banners in black, I'm sure that will help convey the message nicely.

AL-MO
07-10-2008, 04:34 PM
i plan on taking part in this and plan on encouraging the people coming with me to do so as well.

so now you're with us.....

djking2
07-10-2008, 04:37 PM
You guys seem to be forgetting that MLS was expecting us to "put on a show" for them at this game, like the trained monkeys they think we are.

Unlike putting on a show like trained monkeys for someone else's exercise in futility

Laurie79
07-10-2008, 04:38 PM
Hell yeah we're selfish, our stadium, our soapbox, we'll use the stands as we please.

Oh yes, I know you will. You just won't look classy doing it.

masrawy
07-10-2008, 04:40 PM
Oh yes, I know you will. You just won't look classy doing it.

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/9885/anchorman2wi.jpg

werewolf
07-10-2008, 04:43 PM
so if a silent protest isn't classy, what should we do instead? Hunger striker? set ourselves on-fire? block the roads?

Laurie79
07-10-2008, 04:47 PM
Why would we care about them? The participants? You mean all the best players from all the teams we hate?

You don't need to 'care about them' Mr. president, I was merely suggesting respecting the event itself and recognizing we aren't the only characters in our story here.

And I think the growing sentiment towards not protesting in the various threads over the last few days implies I'm not completely out of line. You yourself even suggested we take more of a wait-and-see-approach after your meeting! What happened?

I'm disappointed in the respective heads of our supporters clubs for this press release.

trane
07-10-2008, 04:48 PM

I am with you. UNITED---UNITED---UNITED---UNITED

Laurie79
07-10-2008, 04:50 PM
so if a silent protest isn't classy, what should we do instead? Hunger striker? set ourselves on-fire? block the roads?

Silence can be very classy, at an appropriate place and time. Like maybe something that involved TFC or the Argos or MLSE?

:noidea:

trane
07-10-2008, 04:51 PM
http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/9885/anchorman2wi.jpg

THOSE ARE WEST HAM COLOURS-UNTED---UNITED--UNITED

I will go with the leadership, but I still think the best way to protest is to do wha we ussualy do but to do it for UNITED. That will get everyones attention.

ilikemusic
07-10-2008, 04:51 PM

http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/1121/monk3ev.jpg

Kickit09
07-10-2008, 04:53 PM
how about we boycott all concession food and drinks for 1 game, that would get their attention....... but like it would ever happen :drunk:

masrawy
07-10-2008, 04:55 PM
Silence can be very classy, at an appropriate place and time. Like maybe something that involved TFC or the Argos or MLSE?

Want to try organizing something during a TFC game? Because we tried, no one would agree on anything. Maybe you have the magic touch.

bdrs
07-10-2008, 05:03 PM
Want to try organizing something during a TFC game? Because we tried, no one would agree on anything. Maybe you have the magic touch.

So if no one cared enough to chip in on a protest during a TFC match at BMO then how come it will come off now? Seems silly to protest a BMO, MLSE, TFC, City of Toronto, etc. issue at an MLS all-star game. Hell this game will likely get less viewers who care about what happens to BMO then any other or am I missing something?

Jay P
07-10-2008, 05:03 PM
As said... the majority of the noise from the supporter section comes from those involved on the the RPB/Usector/NEE/Ultras boards

they don't make any noise and you will notice.

TFC Cityboy
07-10-2008, 05:04 PM
why protest at a TFC match when we negatively impact the club we love and pour so much emotion into? I'm torn on this protest suggested but do see that we weill have media attention, MLS attention and it will not negatively impact a TFC performance. Thus it des make some sense to use this match for this protest.
RPB Pirate shirt is perfect for this event, methinks!

I shall be supporting the Hammers as I detest almost all the MLS "Allstars" and always a had a softspot for West Ham but never nver never in my life will you hear me yell for "un**ed"....it's hard enough for me as a lifelong Manchester City supporter to sing "when the reds go marching in".
Cheers!

olegunnar
07-10-2008, 05:09 PM

Here's what the event is called:

2008 Pepsi MLS All-Star Game at BMO Field

So how is it not appropriate? The protest is about BMO Field...which is where the game is being played...and is what the game is named.

2008 Pepsi MLS All-Star Game at BMO Field

masrawy
07-10-2008, 05:09 PM
So if no one cared enough to chip in on a protest during a TFC match at BMO then how come it will come off now? Seems silly to protest a BMO, MLSE, TFC, City of Toronto, etc. issue at an MLS all-star game. Hell this game will likely get less viewers who care about what happens to BMO then any other or am I missing something?

Chip in? Typing up a press release and sitting down isn't costing us anything. Banners will come from our own pockets, but we don't need chip ins.

How is protesting something affecting our stadium in a game being played in that very same stadium silly? A game that most of us have tickets to, mind you.

I tried getting something going last year when the Argos talks popped up, too many people said they don't want to do anything during a TFC game. If you want an explanation, you have to ask them. I proposed starting off with upside down banners so the club gets the message, NEE were the only group to do it, everyone else basically told me to fuck off.

So again, please, try organizing something, I'll back you 100%. I just know from experience that this will be our best shot at doing anything.

toonarmy
07-10-2008, 05:10 PM
I have a question. I have tickets in the supporters section for this game, but I don't want to wear black or sit through the game. I'm driving all the way down from Sudbury to enjoy a football match, not silently protest. I'm not against what you're all doing here, I just want to have fun at the match.

So, my question is, am I going to get shit on for being the one guy in the section wearing an England jersey, standing, and having a good time?

And please don't flame me for asking this question. I'm not trying to be rude; I just want a sense of what to expect at the game.

B45
07-10-2008, 05:13 PM

I can tell you for fact that every Canadian or even Toronto outlet has not recieved a copy as of 6:00pm today

Draracle
07-10-2008, 05:13 PM
how likely is the expansion now? I though the Argos were backing off, at least that is what Pinball suggested.

That being said, I am all for any move which keeps our stadium pure. Next we start protesting for real grass.

masrawy
07-10-2008, 05:17 PM
I have a question. I have tickets in the supporters section for this game, but I don't want to wear black or sit through the game. I'm driving all the way down from Sudbury to enjoy a football match, not silently protest. I'm not against what you're all doing here, I just want to have fun at the match.

So, my question is, am I going to get shit on for being the one guy in the section wearing an England jersey, standing, and having a good time?

And please don't flame me for asking this question. I'm not trying to be rude; I just want a sense of what to expect at the game.

You can sing your heart out buddy, I doubt the mics will catch it.

If you're standing in front of someone trying to sit down, though, it's up to them whether they want to make it an issue.

toonarmy
07-10-2008, 05:19 PM
You can sing your heart out buddy, I doubt the mics will catch it.

If you're sitting in front of someone trying to sit down, though, it's up to them whether they want to make it an issue.

Thanks. I would hope that nobody from the RPBs would get on somebody for wanting to stand at a game, considering the spirit in which the supporters section was created.

Richard D
07-10-2008, 06:00 PM
This protest is awesome, they WILL get the message this way. People have the power and this will definitely show them.

Richard D
07-10-2008, 06:02 PM
PS, you can bet the ESPN guys will mention it at least once during the game why we're doing this. "Its usually thunderous in this stadium but the fact Toronto is thinking of putting a 'football' team here is really pissing their fans off!"

AL-MO
07-10-2008, 06:06 PM
http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/1121/monk3ev.jpg

RAGE!!!

(sorry can't help but think of the album cover when I see this)

jloome
07-10-2008, 06:19 PM
I suspect this will be quite effective. ANd it doens't stop anyone from enjoying the game, so where's the harm? The only people stupid enough to think a protest like this is negative are the same ones dumb enough to think the public can't tell the difference between an entire city and supporters' groups making a point.

And for those who think there are no argo plans on the table still, don't be so naive. Ideas like this aren't usually spur of the moment and when they're still be debated/feared/denied months after first coming up, it's usually because there's some truth to it. So why take the risk? Grow a pair and wear a black shirt.

bdrs
07-10-2008, 06:31 PM
I suspect this will be quite effective. ANd it doens't stop anyone from enjoying the game, so where's the harm? The only people stupid enough to think a protest like this is negative are the same ones dumb enough to think the public can't tell the difference between an entire city and supporters' groups making a point.

And for those who think there are no argo plans on the table still, don't be so naive. Ideas like this aren't usually spur of the moment and when they're still be debated/feared/denied months after first coming up, it's usually because there's some truth to it. So why take the risk? Grow a pair and wear a black shirt.
Not sure it is a matter of "having a pair". 3 weeks ago Jack said NOTHING was on the table as per the community meeting. So there IS NOTHING to protest. Perhaps the possibility that maybe they are thinking about bringing the argos to BMO. As for naive... well protesting something we have no evidence is still going on because some folks who were very "wait and see" a few weeks ago say to now seems to fit that bill.
This could have been an opportunity to further the MLS in viewers eyes all over the place with BMO pride. But hey, who benefits from a healthy MLS right?

masrawy
07-10-2008, 06:39 PM
3 weeks ago Jack said NOTHING was on the table as per the community meeting. So there IS NOTHING to protest.

http://www.floridaventureblog.com/uploaded_images/jedi-entrepreneur-mind-trick.jpg

AL-MO
07-10-2008, 06:40 PM
Not sure it is a matter of "having a pair". 3 weeks ago Jack said NOTHING was on the table as per the community meeting. So there IS NOTHING to protest. Perhaps the possibility that maybe they are thinking about bringing the argos to BMO. As for naive... well protesting something we have no evidence is still going on because some folks who were very "wait and see" a few weeks ago say to now seems to fit that bill.
This could have been an opportunity to further the MLS in viewers eyes all over the place with BMO pride. But hey, who benefits from a healthy MLS right?

Well obviously after talking with the other groups they felt it was still necessary. I don't believe that they are doing this 'just because'

TorCanSoc
07-10-2008, 06:49 PM
I'm not against Argos in our stadium. I'm against football lines painted on our field. Also if the Argos make it into BMO, you can be assured it would pretty much end discussion of real grass.

I'm all for any collective way of letting MLSE know of our objections. However, I'm not sure you're going to be able to logistically control everyone's emotions when a goal is scored. I must say though.... its a pretty cool phkn concept!!! A goal scored, and no one cheers. Protest or no protest, it would be pretty awesome to hear...uhm... not hear! May show MLSE the strength in our numbers too. If we can get rowdy soccer whackos to be silent at goal scored a partied-up allstar game, then its a good signal for the power of our union.

Having said that. I'm selling my tix to the first idiot that gives me $1000 per ticket !!! Ha ha. <Uh oh, I'm a scalper.... different sh*t storm I know :) :) :) ) > I don't care right now. I'M IN CHICAGO BABY!!!!!!!!! 10,000 free Blanco bobble-heads. I'm going to run around the stadium smashing bobble heads. WOOOOOO HOOOOO!!!!!!!

flatpicker
07-10-2008, 06:54 PM
I'M IN CHICAGO BABY!!!!!!!!! 10,000 free Blanco bobble-heads. I'm going to run around the stadium smashing bobble heads. WOOOOOO HOOOOO!!!!!!!

Hey!
When are we getting our Dichio bobble-heads!!!???

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k139/brushstroke-man/dichio-bobble.gif

bdrs
07-10-2008, 07:04 PM
http://www.floridaventureblog.com/uploaded_images/jedi-entrepreneur-mind-trick.jpg
lol :D

Jack
07-10-2008, 07:08 PM
After our meeting with the rep from MLS, the protest was put back on. They wanted us to "put on a show" and they made it clear that was what they expected of us.

Re: The community meeting - Some other conversations I've had with people since then have made me feel that this protest needs to move forward. Not just the Argos thing, but about establishing that we're here, we're not to be messed with and used as pawns by these corporations (MLS, MLSE, Rogers, The Argos, Adidas, Carlsberg, BMO, etc) We don't work for them... the team and the stadium are ours. We made TFC what it is (if not the support, what other story does TFC have? Longest goalless streak?) This is to send a message as much as it is to protest the actual Argos situation.

That message? Don't fuck with a good thing and don't fuck with us.

TO DEVILS
07-10-2008, 07:54 PM
I can tell you for fact that every Canadian or even Toronto outlet has not recieved a copy as of 6:00pm today

I emailed specific journalist at the Sun, Canadian Press, Globeandmail, The Star, Fox Sports World, Gol TV, Sportsnet and even MLSRumors.

egoodwin
07-10-2008, 09:10 PM
Really stfu and stop whining about the plan. The plan has been in the works for weeks if not months. You had your opportunity to whine bitch and suggest about the protest. The press release has gone out and the time for discussion on how to protest is over, so either join us or leave it be, as at this stage opposing comments are not needed or wanted

VPjr
07-10-2008, 09:15 PM
After our meeting with the rep from MLS, the protest was put back on. They wanted us to "put on a show" and they made it clear that was what they expected of us.

Re: The community meeting - Some other conversations I've had with people since then have made me feel that this protest needs to move forward. Not just the Argos thing, but about establishing that we're here, we're not to be messed with and used as pawns by these corporations (MLS, MLSE, Rogers, The Argos, Adidas, Carlsberg, BMO, etc) We don't work for them... the team and the stadium are ours. We made TFC what it is (if not the support, what other story does TFC have? Longest goalless streak?) This is to send a message as much as it is to protest the actual Argos situation.

jack, who have you sent the Press Release to?

Thanks to the Sack the CSA T-shirt thing, I've got a fairly big media contact list.

let me know if you need any help with spreading the word to the media.

and if anyone needs Black T-shirts, I know someone who has about 50-60 sitting in a box in his garage...(hint hint, wink wink, cough).

Jack
07-10-2008, 09:20 PM
Well, feel free to pass it along, VPjr, the more exposure, the better.

Jimmy The Saint
http://www.megastore.whufc.com/stores/westham/products/product_details.aspx?pid=42941&cid=7517&tid=0

Black West Ham shirts.....

Jack
So pass it along ;)

bdrs
07-10-2008, 09:21 PM

Who are ya? Who are ya? Who are ya? Kiss yer mother with that mouth?
That what you make the banners to celebrate "el presidente"? This is a joke dude. If it "to send a message as much as it is to protest the actual Argos situation" then put that in the press release too and take a look at who is trying to use who as pawns. What you will succeed in doing is destroying the relationship you've built with MLSE and the MLS and ensure we don't get any such events in the city because we can't work with them. Wanna make a point about SSS. Support it. Make a banner. Sing a chant. Do what we are supposed to be doing.

Detroit_TFC
07-10-2008, 09:21 PM
jack, who have you sent the Press Release to?

Thanks to the Sack the CSA T-shirt thing, I've got a fairly big media contact list.

let me know if you need any help with spreading the word to the media.

and if anyone needs Black T-shirts, I know someone who has about 50-60 sitting in a box in his garage...(hint hint, wink wink, cough).

Are we going to have a pre-game t-shirt hookup?

Jack
07-10-2008, 09:26 PM
Who are ya? Who are ya? Who are ya? Kiss yer mother with that mouth?
That what you make the banners to celebrate "el presidente"? This is a joke dude. If it "to send a message as much as it is to protest the actual Argos situation" then put that in the press release too and take a look at who is trying to use who as pawns. What you will succeed in doing is destroying the relationship you've built with MLSE and the MLS and ensure we don't get any such events in the city because we can't work with them. Wanna make a point about SSS. Support it. Make a banner. Sing a chant. Do what we are supposed to be doing.

The plan has been hashed, rehashed and discussed. We're not destroying any relationships. They know better than to bite the hand that feeds them.

VPjr
07-10-2008, 09:31 PM
Well, feel free to pass it along, VPjr, the more exposure, the better.

ok, will do on the weekend.

VPjr
07-10-2008, 09:32 PM
Are we going to have a pre-game t-shirt hookup?

I'll put a box of Sack the CSA shirts in the trunk of the car for the San Jose game and the All Star game. if people want them, I'll have them. $5.00 per shirt

romburgundy
07-10-2008, 09:33 PM
Hey Jack has anyone talked about a concession boycot for the all star game or more?

tfc88
07-10-2008, 09:33 PM
Anyone else like the wearing GREEN????

No other MLS teams wear green.. off the top of my head. Green for grass! Green instead of BS London team colours.. Black will make us look like MLS supporters, with those despicable pepsi logos on the front..

I know it's late but let's make this switch!!!

Jack
07-10-2008, 09:35 PM
Hey Jack has anyone talked about a concession boycot for the all star game or more?

We haven't really talked about that.

Roogsy
07-10-2008, 09:42 PM
I love these guys that are coming out of the woodwork NOW. This plan has been talked about for weeks and NOW you are whining?

Whatever...it's happening. If you don't want to bea part of it, fine. But the rest of us are going to do what we need to to voice our displeasure at the lack of leadership on this Argos issue. When we though it had been put to rest, we were willing to forego this protest, but once we realized that it was not dead...well...we are doing our part to make sure it never happens.

And if the Argos ever do come to BMO Field, then you can sit there and complain about how you got screwed...and you brought the KY.

Rocco
07-10-2008, 09:43 PM
Silence is golden.

werewolf
07-10-2008, 09:48 PM
We haven't really talked about that.

If we are going to hit them somewhere, hit them in the wallets. Though does anyone know where the concession profits are being distributed?

bdrs
07-10-2008, 09:52 PM
The plan has been hashed, rehashed and discussed. We're not destroying any relationships. They know better than to bite the hand that feeds them.
lol. Bang yer drum some more my friend. Your last statement says all that needs be said. I'd use it as my quote so all could see how you feel about our boys, but it is so negative I don't want to be associated with it. :nono:
If that is the opinion of the RBP then they aren't for me. Management has lost the way here. Seems like a some folks have some left over shirts they need to unload. lol
Boycotting concessions actually makes sense. A display of power that affects MLSE and BMO Field directly without screwing the MLS or the all-star game, but it won't happen and we all know that. Highest beer sales in the league and all ;)

TFC07
07-10-2008, 09:57 PM
I love these guys that are coming out of the woodwork NOW. This plan has been talked about for weeks and NOW you are whining?

Whatever...it's happening. If you don't want to bea part of it, fine. But the rest of us are going to do what we need to to voice our displeasure at the lack of leadership on this Argos issue. When we though it had been put to rest, we were willing to forego this protest, but once we realized that it was not dead...well...we are doing our part to make sure it never happens.

And if the Argos ever do come to BMO Field, then you can sit there and complain about how you got screwed...and you brought the KY.

There's some people here who wants to support West Ham this game and they really want to be vocal about it to mock MLS and their fruity all-star team. This silent protest goes against what some people here are trying to do. :confused:

Mrs. Workie
07-10-2008, 09:57 PM

This is the part that irks me the most. We're not a fuckin' circus, so the MLS can shove it.

As for the Argos- I don't want them at BMO. End of.

bdrs
07-10-2008, 09:58 PM

You better ask Jack what this protest is really about...
And can you tell us what made you realize it was not dead between the community meeting and now? And what you keep missing is you aren't doing anything. Except to the MLS. And our fields rep. But you are 100% right. I stand no chance making anyone change their mind on this issue. I really don't care who does what. Thought I'd take a crack at it but hey, I didn't need those 10 mins anyway.

Jack
07-10-2008, 09:59 PM
lol. Bang yer drum some more my friend. Your last statement says all that needs be said. I'd use it as my quote so all could see how you feel about our boys, but it is so negative I don't want to be associated with it. :nono:
If that is the opinion of the RBP then they aren't for me. Management has lost the way here. Seems like a some folks have some left over shirts they need to unload. lol
Boycotting concessions actually makes sense. A display of power that affects MLSE and BMO Field directly without screwing the MLS or the all-star game, but it won't happen and we all know that. Highest beer sales in the league and all ;)

Use whatever you want in your quote ;)

As to how I feel about our boys, you obviously have no clue. I'm talking about as far as MLSE marketing the team and what's happened. It's all about the support. It's been about the support and the team building something together that's been great. Now they want to screw that up and we don't want that to happen. If that story isn't there from the first year of TFC, what is? A crappy expansion team who had the longest goalless streak. It's a part of our history, I'm not going to hide it. But the point is, we got by that by sticking with the team and showing strong support. So much so, that perhaps we are beginning to be taken for granted.

I don't give a damn about selling t-shirts (AFAIK they're the sack the CSA shirts)

Laurie79
07-10-2008, 10:02 PM
how about we boycott all concession food and drinks for 1 game, that would get their attention....... but like it would ever happen :drunk:

Brilliant idea and straight to the point and it would even address ALL of the agendas. I see others since agreeing with it. Sounds simple and easy to accomplish.

As for those complaining the plan has been in place for weeks: sometimes when circumstances change you must change your plan. Adaptation. Imagine.

And when did we find out that the Argodom was still a real or imminent possibility? I must have missed something but... all i saw was speculation after mention of tshirt sales. ick.

BigTingsGwan
07-10-2008, 10:06 PM
I'm most excited about being one to say. "hey Sit down!, Your obstructing my view!" Been on the other end of a few of those:) :) :).

Jimmy The Saint
07-10-2008, 10:07 PM

Umm..hey...how many registered, card carrying paid members of the RPB? Something THIS BIG and I didn't get an email about it? I have to be a board troller to be a part of the decision making?

I heard about this protest at the beginning of the season... but not much about it until today's press release. I'm at (almost) every home game; can't be at Joe's for every away because I have a family to take care of.

When was the vote? I didn' get an email about that either.

You have ALL OUR EMAIL ADDRESSES from this forum! USE THEM TO INFORM us about what's going on. I have precious little time to be on these boards every hour of everyday to read every post. It's hard enough to get throough all the crap to even figure out what some of the sticky's are about.

Look, the protest is important, I agree, but I was not part of the decision making process, I am probably not the only one, so it's very dificult to stand united for something like this.

Look, the Argos will not EVER play on BMO field:

1) Renovations would be atrociously expensive they did not even want to help U of T or York pay for the stadiums they were renoing/building

2) Rogers is actively pursuing the Bills, which means the Argos will be folded within 2 years from that happening.

3) MLS will make a stink becuase an SSS was part of the deal for us getting a franchise in the first place.

4) This is our house, and if the Argos show up, we have flares :)

Jack, buddy, I love you. You know that. But the communciations about this were atrociuos. I hang out with Parkdale for fucks sake, and I didn't know this was going forward! I was at Joe's for the Whitecraps game, no one said boo. I've been to every home game this season, and not a whisper from anyone since the first argo's post on the old board.

I just want some answers to the questions in this post, because I praise the RPB on a daily basis for what we have done for football in Toronto and in Canada, and I would hate to have to chnage that.

JTS

Jack
07-10-2008, 10:07 PM
Meh. You guys continue on your merry way.

Seriously, if you think this is about t-shirts...well...

Boycott concessions if you want, but the idea of a protest that is public and visible appeals to me more.

This is about nipping this in the bud.

bdrs
07-10-2008, 10:08 PM
Use whatever you want in your quote ;)

As to how I feel about our boys, you obviously have no clue. I'm talking about as far as MLSE marketing the team and what's happened. It's all about the support. It's been about the support and the team building something together that's been great. Now they want to screw that up and we don't want that to happen. If that story isn't there from the first year of TFC, what is? A crappy expansion team who had the longest goalless streak. It's a part of our history, I'm not going to hide it. But the point is, we got by that by sticking with the team and showing strong support. So much so, that perhaps we are beginning to be taken for granted.

I don't give a damn about selling t-shirts (AFAIK they're the sack the CSA shirts)Nice try my friend, but no one suggested hiding that record. You said it was all they had if not for the support. Anyone else around here wanna remind our fearless leader of some of the other things TFC had to be proud of it's first season? I'll start... 23:13
I'm done with this thread... useless. And btw I think you were looking for "struggling expansion team" and not "crappy".

Jack
07-10-2008, 10:08 PM
Jimmy, the thread's been up for months.

bdrs
07-10-2008, 10:09 PM

Boycott concessions if you want, but the idea of a protest that is public and visible appeals to me more.

This is about nipping this in the bud.Seems like it is about being public and visible. Sad it doesn't equal effective. lol

Jack
07-10-2008, 10:09 PM
Nice try my friend, but no one suggested hiding that record. You said it was all they had if not for the support. Anyone else around here wanna remind our fearless leader of some of the other things TFC had to be proud of it's first season? I'll start... 23:13
I'm done with this thread... useless. And btw I think you were looking for "struggling expansion team" and not "crappy".

Whatever...way to take one sentence out of what I was trying to say and twist it to fit your little view of the world.

andyc
07-10-2008, 10:10 PM
I really like the concept of supporting West Ham especially since we have no players on the starting 11 MLS team. This really is a slap in the face to Toronto. FFS even Leafs and Blue Jays get players on all star games in other cities.

On the silent protest, I am a bit concerned with the stadium being soooo quiet for all the people who have no clue that a protest is being held - Which honestly could be a large majority of the folks in the ground...

I do understand that we have discussed this approach for many weeks and a press release has been issued. It's definitely important to keep face by delivering on the promise, but how about a compromise??? What if we stayed silent for the first 5 minutes and then switched to full out West Ham support? I think that we would get a greater acceptance of the silence and frankly not screw up a good night at the football for all of us...

The contrast would also be very effective...

Jimmy The Saint
07-10-2008, 10:10 PM
Jimmy, the thread's been up for months.

Jack, my point is that "The Forum" cannot be the single point of communication for organizing a protest on this scale.

Jack
07-10-2008, 10:12 PM
Jack, my point is that "The Forum" cannot be the single point of communication for organizing a protest on this scale.
True. But it's our largest and most often used method of communication.

ricciboy
07-10-2008, 10:23 PM
Time to get ready for the All-Star Game, people.

no singing back to 108 for me

Jimmy The Saint
07-10-2008, 10:35 PM

Ok, so I went back to read the entire thread for the protest. No date, time posted for the Community Meeting.

I used "vote" in the search engine; nothing about this protest. Community Meeting? This thread and the original SSS Thread.

Lots of insulting remarks to a dude that supports the Argos. Lots of Kingpin being impatient.

Nothing inviting the membership to discuss in person the situation and make a debate about it.

This is a big deal! Things like this need to be better organized across the board for the entire membership group, not just for the select few that can find the time to post 500 times a week.

Two tiers of RPBs here? Anyone else a little annoyed?

Battery on the laptop is about to die, and I have to catch a flight to my Grandmother's funeral in Montreal in 6 hours.

I'll see your posts when I reconnect in Impact Territory.

JTS

alexintoronto
07-10-2008, 10:38 PM

Good point Jimmy. The forum and the press release are the first step. There are games coming up where we'll see other non-forum people in person - it's a good opportunity to spread the word.

Emails may be a good idea. Any others? Facebook?... a link on the website? (it's already on the NEE website).

I'm not sure why Jack is getting attacked on this by some. It's not like he just woke up and is doing it on a whim. It's been discussed by all groups - and almost all members agree the Argos at BMO is a bad thing. I haven't heard any better options to show our opinion on the subject.

Laurie79
07-10-2008, 10:39 PM

JimmytheSaint makes the best point I think I've ever seen here.

The boards are the most frequently used form of communication but do not guarantee reaching the paying membership, and that is your obligation (imo) I paid for a membership specifically to: have a vote in; or offer input to; or at least be reasonably informed about a professional soccer club's supporters group.

It was the organization's idea to charge fees for professional organisation so I think you ladies and gents should start providing just that.

RedRum
07-10-2008, 10:41 PM
For those of you that don't want to participate in this protest please remember that there is a bigger issue here. Unity.

Any issue could come up in the future that we may want addressed by MLSE. They are MUCH more likely to listen if they know they are facing a unified front as far as SG's go.

Do the unselfish thing and make us all the better for it. Support supporters.

alexintoronto
07-10-2008, 10:43 PM
For those of you that don't want to participate in this protest please remember that there is a bigger issue here. Unity.

Any issue could come up in the future that we may want addressed by MLSE. They are MUCH more likely to listen if they know they are facing a unified front as far as SG's go.

Do the unselfish thing and make us all the better for it. Support supporters.

well said.

:iagree:

Roogsy
07-10-2008, 10:48 PM
JimmytheSaint makes the best point I think I've ever seen here.

The boards are the most frequently used form of communication but do not guarantee reaching the paying membership, and that is your obligation (imo) I paid for a membership specifically to: have a vote in; or offer input to; or at least be reasonably informed about a professional soccer club's supporters group.

It was the organization's idea to charge fees for professional organisation so I think you ladies and gents should start providing just that.

This is ridiculous. I am no more informed than anyone else here and I am not freaking out like you guys.

This board IS the means for communication we have. Yeah...we have not voted. Because the confidence in the executive to act on these types of issues was understood for paying members. Which as far as I can tell by your status, neither of you guys are. And if you have paid...get your status' fixed.

Regardless...this protest has always been on until that brief week or two when it seemed like both camps might be coming out with conclusive statements that it wasn't a goal at any time. But they never went the distance and closed the issue. Instead, we saw more wavering and then statements that perhaps the issue was not as dead as it was before. Therefore...the suspended protest, which was never ended to begin with...is now back on.

If you guys want to pretend like the black shirts protest was never discussed on this board...go right ahead. You'll look completely obstinate.

This protest is measured, visible and does not affect the support of OUR team, Toronto FC. I dunno how more ideal it can get...but you guys can keep whinging about how we are going to affect an unimportant game that none of our boys will be starting in.

Jack
07-10-2008, 10:51 PM
Remember that this was decided upon while we were still on the old message board and that thread was transplanted to here.

The Community Meeting was at the Princess Margaret Building at the CNE and was posted here the day of the meeting by one of our members who was lucky enough to find out about it and go to the meeting. He made a full report.

Perhaps we need to organize more. We need more people involved in the organizational side of things so we have enough time to make sure all the details are handled. We tend to focus on what's in front of us and try to get it out there as best as we can.

If you want information, it's there for the taking and we do try to keep everyone up to date on things. Is it possible that the communication wasn't the greatest? Yes. But a lot of people out there know and have known about this for a long time. There aren't two tiers of RPB, there are RPBs, and non-RPBs.

That's the situation as it stands. Want more done? Then we'd love the help. A very few people do a lot for a lot of people around here.

It's everyone's right to question what we do and why we do it, of course. But this isn't something that was just decided upon lightly, or suddenly. This isn't my little pet project. This was put into motion to represent what people were feeling and a lot of people seem to be satisfied with this approach. There are a vocal few who are not.

Roogsy
07-10-2008, 10:57 PM
All I see is people whining when things aren't done the way THEY want them to be done...but I don't see them stepping up to ease the burden of people taking the lead.

Step up or shut up.

Jimmy The Saint
07-10-2008, 10:58 PM
This is ridiculous. I am no more informed than anyone else here and I am not freaking out like you guys.

This board IS the means for communication we have. Yeah...we have not voted. Because the confidence in the executive to act on these types of issues was understood for paying members. Which as far as I can tell by your status, neither of you guys are. And if you have paid...get your status' fixed.

Regardless...this protest has always been on until that brief week or two when it seemed like both camps might be coming out with conclusive statements that it wasn't a goal at any time. But they never went the distance and closed the issue. Instead, we saw more wavering and then statements that perhaps the issue was not as dead as it was before. Therefore...the suspended protest, which was never ended to begin with...is now back on.

If you guys want to pretend like the black shirts protest was never discussed on this board...go right ahead. You'll look completely obstinate.

This protest is measured, visible and does not affect the support of OUR team, Toronto FC. I dunno how more ideal it can get...but you guys can keep whinging about how we are going to affect an unimportant game that none of our boys will be starting in.

Roogsy- if I didn't pay for my membership, why do I have the scarf and dog tags? I don;t have my card becuase the tail gates stopped the week after I paid my dues, and they weren't handing them out anymore.

Again, ridculous I know, but hey, I have 3 kids 2 and under and I have to take care of them sometimes, while working 60+ hours a week, so sometimes I miss a day at Shoeless and I miss a home game (actually only one this season).

MAIL ME MY CARD! send me an email about it! BE pro-active for the people of this orginization that can't troll the pages of this forum everyday.

I am not against the protest! I'm just making a point, which as a paid member, I am allowed to do! There's a whole other thread going on about how we should support United and were claret and blue!

As for unity - You cannot unite a group as large as this without seriously communicating to them in every manner possible. Email. Phone calls. Use a list and check off everyone that's been informed or left a message. There would be plenty of volunteers to take sections of the member list and get in touch with people.

Look, bed time. Have fun in Chicago. They have awesome black t-shirts at foot locker with the TFC logo on the left shoulder, creeping over the heart. I think I'll be wearing that on All Star Game day.

greatwhitenorf
07-10-2008, 10:59 PM
I casually dropped this item into another thread, but this thread is really where I should have mentioned this information first.

BMO Field expansion plans involve soon adding a second tier over the entire east side. Maybe this off-season. Got this in person from someone as high up the city's political food chain as you can get. This week.

What's the big deal about this, you wonder?

As a soccer fan, I'd prefer to see the stadium expanded first by building extra stands over the open private boxes at either end of the west side. Then a deck over the south end. Then a big-assed balcony or supporters group stand built right over the north-end beer garden. The east side would be my last option. I love the view of the city from the west side shelf.

I'd prefer to see the stadium's pitch area dimensions locked in by adding seats at both ends of the stadium. Then we'd have concrete-based assurances that the CFL couldn't come in.

Instead, the stadium will first be expanded by building an upper deck over the entire east side. This certainly makes it more favorable for a second sport to come in.

In building an expanded east side, one has to wonder if they'll take down the entire set of east stands and move them back to create the needed wider footprint of space for a CFL field and sideline area.

Take this protest seriously. If there are wheels in motion to pervert the wonderful soccer experience we currently enjoy at BMO Field by making it more enticing to the Argos, they need to be stopped in their tracks.

Bluenose13
07-10-2008, 11:02 PM
Fuck Me........All this time people had lots of opportunity to have there say & nobody says a word.

Almost everyone agreed that we need to protest the Argos coming to BMO & the best time to do this was the Allstar game because we wouldn't be fucking around with supporting TFC.

Give me a fucking break on the I paid for membership I better be more informed crap,it's all over the boards & was discussed for days when this protest was decided on.

People need to keep in mind just because they paid for a membership (and recieved a $20 scarf,tags & a membership card) that this doesn't pay someones salary.

FFS, Jack is a volunteer with a family & a full time job, do you really think that your couple of bucks means he has to run RPB like some kind corporation that he is accountable to the board of directors & stock holders.

Jimmy The Saint
07-10-2008, 11:04 PM
All I see is people whining when things aren't done the way THEY want them to be done...but I don't see them stepping up to ease the burden of people taking the lead.

Step up or shut up.

Basic fundamentals fo running a business/organiation with numerous volunteers/employees/members are being ignored. Like multiple lines of communication.

Ok... Stepping up. Send me the membership list and all the contact details. I'll setup the email account and organize the phone crews.

On Monday I'll start to get the rest of the orginization informed.

Whose the webmaster? Need to get info@redpapatchboys.ca setup to take 100's of emails a day. Will need volunteers to help me sift through the emails.

G'night.

Toronto_Bhoy
07-10-2008, 11:08 PM
Thanks B13…you just saved me a shitload of typing!

People…it your responsibility to be informed!!! The message is here…everyday…anytime you want it.

Emails and phone calls are not necessary...log on and read the fucking messages on the board so people don't have to duplicate the process!!!

Roogsy
07-10-2008, 11:09 PM
Roogsy- if I didn't pay for my membership, why do I have the scarf and dog tags? I don;t have my card becuase the tail gates stopped the week after I paid my dues, and they weren't handing them out anymore.

Again, ridculous I know, but hey, I have 3 kids 2 and under and I have to take care of them sometimes, while working 60+ hours a week, so sometimes I miss a day at Shoeless and I miss a home game (actually only one this season).

MAIL ME MY CARD! send me an email about it! BE pro-active for the people of this orginization that can't troll the pages of this forum everyday.

I am not against the protest! I'm just making a point, which as a paid member, I am allowed to do! There's a whole other thread going on about how we should support United and were claret and blue!

As for unity - You cannot unite a group as large as this without seriously communicating to them in every manner possible. Email. Phone calls. Use a list and check off everyone that's been informed or left a message. There would be plenty of volunteers to take sections of the member list and get in touch with people.

Look, bed time. Have fun in Chicago. They have awesome black t-shirts at foot locker with the TFC logo on the left shoulder, creeping over the heart. I think I'll be wearing that on All Star Game day.

That's why I said if you are paid up members get your status fixed. How about reading the posts properly?

And yeah...I get that you work and have kids. So do other RPBs and yet they put up their time to make sure that it isn't just a small number that carry an imbalanced weight of responsibilities.

So if you don't want to step up...don't insist on creating more work for those that are already putting ridiculous times into this. This board is the easiest form of communication for all members and it is understood that here is where most of the communication happens. When you signed up...did you do so under the condition that communications should be done the way you want them? By phone? By email? No? Then don't insist on it now.

If you can check your email...you can check this board. If you can't check even check this board, then it's your choice. Yeah...I get that you are prioritzing. But then in doing so, you are also giving up your right to demand more of others. That is incredibly selfish. Give nothing but get more back?

Besides...what exactly are you wanting to receive by email? Didn't Jack send out an email today informing everyone of the protest details? What more do you want? If you wanted discussion on it...it happened on this board...the board you are too busy to check. And if you are too busy to read this board...how can an email discussion be any easier?

And phone calls? Are you serious? What can be done over the phone that can't be done here on the board...and faster? Why would you...someone who just complained you don't have the time to help on these issues, suggest a slower more lumbersome method? Totally confusing.

tfc2007
07-10-2008, 11:09 PM
Don't you think they'll be asking why the stadium that's known for its atmosphere is so quiet?

Well, they know it's known, but they haven't expereinced it. This protest may still have a better atmposphere then Real Salt Lake or FC Dallas games.
For all they know this will be the usual.

Laurie79
07-10-2008, 11:13 PM
Fuck Me........All this time people had lots of opportunity to have there say & nobody says a word.

Almost everyone agreed that we need to protest the Argos coming to BMO & the best time to do this was the Allstar game because we wouldn't be fucking around with supporting TFC.

Give me a fucking break on the I paid for membership I better be more informed crap,it's all over the boards & was discussed for days when this protest was decided on.

People need to keep in mind just because they paid for a membership (and recieved a $20 scarf,tags & a membership card) that this doesn't pay someones salary.

FFS, Jack is a volunteer with a family & a full time job, do you really think that your couple of bucks means he has to run RPB like some kind corporation that he is accountable to the board of directors & stock holders.

No not at all. I guess you boys should have just sold scarves and membership tags if that's all you were offering. and apparently my fee couldn't even buy me the 'status' to prevent roogsy's deadbeat attacks. lol

flatpicker
07-10-2008, 11:14 PM
I'm totally down for making a statement at this game.
I also throw my full support behind the RPB.
I would simply have preferred to make our point known with loud cheers and jeers, and big ass banners.
It will take a lot of willpower to stay in my seat.
Being loud and excited at games just feels natural.
To be otherwise feels wrong somehow...
But like I said... I will give my support to the group (begrudgingly)

Roogsy
07-10-2008, 11:17 PM
No not at all. I guess you boys should have just sold scarves and membership tags if that's all you were offering. and apparently my fee couldn't even buy me the 'status' to prevent roogsy's deadbeat attacks. lol

Wow...another one that doesn't read the posts properly.

Did you not see me clearly state "if you paid" to get your status fixed? Jack has been posting for WEEKS that if you paid and still did not get your status updated, to send him a PM and he will get it fixed. Did you do that? No? Even though it has been all over the membership posts since the start if this new board.

I get the feelings you guys are just a bunch of skimmers that read only partial information and make boneheaded statements without all the information. Do us all a favour and get caught up and the join us for a logical discussion.

Now tell me...when you paid your membership...what did you think you were getting? Did someone promise to handhold you through this board? To call you every time Jack took a piss? To wipe your ass for you? What exactly is it that you want? Because if it's a say in RPB events and goals...that goes on all the time, and if you are not in those discussions, you have only yourself to blame. So what do you want. I really want to know...

I would also like to hear from other RPBs on this. Did anyone else expect "group discussions" over the phone or something? Or emails on every issue? Or do most RPBs get their info on RPB events and issues from this board?

Somebody please clarify this because it's really beginning to piss me off.

Jimmy The Saint
07-10-2008, 11:18 PM
Ok you know what. I'm fucking wrong.

I should be able to read/sift 400 posts a day to stay informed about everything that is going on.

This is much easier than checking my inbox - and no I did not get an email.

Why is my status not updated? I don't know - I asked someone to update it months ago, and I thought I was updated. Obviously not.

(Magically, I am seeing the threads about RPB finances now, when literally 3 minutes ago, I did not.)

I'm done fighting back on this thread, because obviously this is a losing battle. I am trying to get folks like me more informed, because it is necessary. Every other organized group I have ever been a part of used email as a form of communicating information, not a forum/message board/wiki.

I have posted, volunteering myself for the position of helping communicate better with the group, and I am still getting shat on.

I put up, and there is NO WAY IN HELL I am going to shut up.

greatwhitenorf
07-10-2008, 11:20 PM
Do you guys running RPB ever think that certain individuals posting on this site - this topic in particular - are nothing more than agents provocateurs for the CFL?

Tying up your time, diluting your message and getting you frustrated and emotional about piffling matters that deflect your energy and attention away from the important issues.

Just keep moving forward. Build on the consensus you've already established. You're on the right track.

Laurie79
07-10-2008, 11:21 PM
Thanks B13…you just saved me a shitload of typing!

People…it your responsibility to be informed!!! The message is here…everyday…anytime you want it.

Emails and phone calls are not necessary...log on and read the fucking messages on the board so people don't have to duplicate the process!!!

Yikes, what about the press releases??? We get those emailed... too much. Enjoy your seated match boys! The grownups will be having fun and you all can have fun staring at our asses.

bdrs
07-10-2008, 11:21 PM
Not sure who Roogsy is saying didn't pay and I don't even know what status you are talking about. So as to be clear I paid. Haven't picked up my scarf but I am on the list my friend. I don't use these boards to sift through every thread but do expect to be informed when the group I paid to be a member of decides to protest and it sounds like I am not the only one.
You folks blew it and should have had a proper vote like a proper group. Not relied on the opinions of the non paying message board. As I understood it that was the point of the dues...

Roogsy
07-10-2008, 11:23 PM
We did. You missed it. Now you are whining about it. Get over it. This group existed before you joined and continues to operate whether you come here to check up on the status of issues or not. Nobody is going to handhold you through it.

Bars92
07-10-2008, 11:25 PM
Do you guys running RPB ever think that certain individuals posting on this site - this topic in particular - are nothing more than agents provocateurs for the CFL?

Tying up your time, diluting your message and getting you frustrated and emotional about piffling matters that deflect your energy and attention away from the important issues.

Just keep moving forward. Build on the consensus you've already established. You're on the right track.

Dude, people in T.O don't care enough about the Argos to do that. I've been to a lot of Argos games and I can tell you that people just go to the games, sit on their hands and there is no more extent to their support after that.

greatwhitenorf
07-10-2008, 11:25 PM
Could you just delete these idiots' posts and block further input from them?

Not you, Bars.

It's not the fans who would be on here causing confusion. It would be someone in the employ of the league or Argos owners. They have a lot to worry about and an anti-Argo protest is something they don't need right now while they're sucking huge.

bdrs
07-10-2008, 11:27 PM
Wow...another one that doesn't read the posts properly.

Did you not see me clearly state "if you paid" to get your status fixed? Jack has been posting for WEEKS that if you paid and still did not get your status updated, to send him a PM and he will get it fixed. Did you do that? No? Even though it has been all over the membership posts since the start if this new board.

I get the feelings you guys are just a bunch of skimmers that read only partial information and make boneheaded statements without all the information. Do us all a favour and get caught up and the join us for a logical discussion.

Now tell me...when you paid your membership...what did you think you were getting? Did someone promise to handhold you through this board? To call you every time Jack took a piss? To wipe your ass for you? What exactly is it that you want? Because if it's a say in RPB events and goals...that goes on all the time, and if you are not in those discussions, you have only yourself to blame. So what do you want. I really want to know...

I would also like to hear from other RPBs on this. Did anyone else expect "group discussions" over the phone or something? Or emails on every issue? Or do most RPBs get their info on RPB events and issues from this board?

Somebody please clarify this because it's really beginning to piss me off.
Hey there cheerful,
I paid to be a member of the RPB, not a message board. I stop here for news and the odd photoshop thread. and it is great you've got all the time in the world to read all of this crap, but many don't.

edit:I don't even know what status you are talking about and could honestly give a rats ass. If it is buggin you , you get it fixed

werewolf
07-10-2008, 11:27 PM
Yikes, what about the press releases??? We get those emailed... too much. Enjoy your seated match boys! The grownups will be having fun and you all can have fun staring at our asses.

Enjoy yourselves and have fun staring at this in 2 years

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/111/265828099_fa5295b6b1.jpg?v=0

Roogsy
07-10-2008, 11:28 PM
Ok you know what. I'm fucking wrong.

I should be able to read/sift 400 posts a day to stay informed about everything that is going on.

This is much easier than checking my inbox - and no I did not get an email.

Why is my status not updated? I don't know - I asked someone to update it months ago, and I thought I was updated. Obviously not.

(Magically, I am seeing the threads about RPB finances now, when literally 3 minutes ago, I did not.)

I'm done fighting back on this thread, because obviously this is a losing battle. I am trying to get folks like me more informed, because it is necessary. Every other organized group I have ever been a part of used email as a form of communicating information, not a forum/message board/wiki.

I have posted, volunteering myself for the position of helping communicate better with the group, and I am still getting shat on.

I put up, and there is NO WAY IN HELL I am going to shut up.

Part of your dues is paying for this board. That is why you can now see the member-only sections. You specifically stated you were a paid-up member and someone checked and now you have access.

And those sections have plenty of information of "what is going on"...the very thing you were complaining about. Hence the reason Jack has been posting and bumping and posting and bumping messages about "if you have paid and your status has not been updated, contact me"...one of the many, many things that he takes care of. It was your responsibility to follow up...not someone elses.

Now sift through that information and come back and tell me members are not being informed enough.

Shat on? Of course you are...you are demanding more from people that are already giving blood and guts. Talk is cheap...until I see you actually helping out I will not accept you demanding more from exhausted members. So you may not shut up...but neither will I. Nothing irritates me more than the lack of appreciation for people who are giving their all and still being shat on.

Bluenose13
07-10-2008, 11:30 PM

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/111/265828099_fa5295b6b1.jpg?v=0Exactly.............Th e reason why the vast majority think this protest must be done.

greatwhitenorf
Attaboy, wolfie. Good image.

Maybe you're not such a gooner knob after all.

Roogsy
Hey there cheerful,
I paid to be a member of the RPB, not a message board. I stop here for news and the odd photoshop thread. and it is great you've got all the time in the world to read all of this crap, but many don't.

edit:I don't even know what status you are talking about and could honestly give a rats ass. If it is buggin you , you get it fixed

The means of communication for RPB IS this message board. If you want to be informed....GET informed, don't ask others to gift-wrap everything for you.

A rudimentary effort to selectively go through the most important posts would solve the problem. If you don't wanna get it fixed yourself...nobody wants to hear your whining about why you are not informed.

Laurie79
07-10-2008, 11:31 PM

Oh no i won't have to werewolf: you and the silent blacktops are gonna save us all from the gridiron nightmare with your sour faces and unpleasant dispositions.

lmfao

flatpicker
07-10-2008, 11:32 PM
Exactly.............The reason why the vast majority think this protest must be done.

feel free to read my previous posts putting my support behind the RPB...
that said... I don't see that happening to BMO. I just don't think MLSE would stand for it.
MLSE are about $$$$$.... do you think pissing off the supporters that drive this team would be good for business?

Jimmy The Saint
07-10-2008, 11:32 PM
Could you just delete these idiots' posts and block further input from them?

Ok you know what, comments like this... you are making me seriously think about ditching RPB alltogether. This isn't a debate it's, "Hey buddy, shut up, you're wrong." All over the threads we are discussing here there are such posts. From paying members and board trolls.

No wonder there is no unity!

Hack slash and alienate anyone that is bringing in reasonable debate.

Why is email so difficult?

1) Copy announcement (CTRL+C)

2) Paste into email (CTRL+V)

3) Click the "To" button

4) Select "All"

5) Click on Send

That's all we are asking, and I am even volunteering to do so.

You may believe that the forum is all that is needed, but there are obviously people here that think it's not enough. And they should be heard too.

Roogsy
07-10-2008, 11:34 PM
Oh no i won't have to werewolf: you and the silent blacktops are gonna save us all from the gridiron nightmare with your sour faces and unpleasant dispositions.

lmfao

So we are supposed to do nothing? I love people who complain about the efforts of others but do nothing themselves. You let others carry the weight for you. You take credit for things other people do. I have no respect for people like you.

greatwhitenorf
07-10-2008, 11:34 PM
oooh, grrr, tiger!

who are ya!

Jimmy The Saint
07-10-2008, 11:36 PM
Part of your dues is paying for this board. That is why you can now see the member-only sections. You specifically stated you were a paid-up member and someone checked and now you have access.

And those sections have plenty of information of "what is going on"...the very thing you were complaining about. Hence the reason Jack has been posting and bumping and posting and bumping messages about "if you have paid and your status has not been updated, contact me"...one of the many, many things that he takes care of. It was your responsibility to follow up...not someone elses.

Now sift through that information and come back and tell me members are not being informed enough.

Shat on? Of course you are...you are demanding more from people that are already giving blood and guts. Talk is cheap...until I see you actually helping out I will not accept you demanding more from exhausted members. So you may not shut up...but neither will I. Nothing irritates me more than the lack of appreciation for people who are giving their all and still being shat on.

Thanks for fixing that. Appreciated. You could be less of an asshole about it.

I am offering to help, now that I can see the member's section this will make things a lot easier.

If I offended, I apologize, but I shouldn't have had to yell/rant and scream at people I consider friends and comrades to get my status updated.

Have fun in Chicago.

Roogsy
07-10-2008, 11:37 PM
Ok you know what, comments like this... you are making me seriously think about ditching RPB alltogether. This isn't a debate it's, "Hey buddy, shut up, you're wrong." All over the threads we are discussing here there are such posts. From paying members and board trolls.

3) Click the "To" button

4) Select "All"

5) Click on Send

You may believe that the forum is all that is needed, but there are obviously people here that think it's not enough. And they should be heard too.

Nobody is forcing you to be RPB. If someone disagreeing with you makes you wanna leave...nobody will force you to stay.

And I am still stuck on this whole "I want things done this way"...when did anyone ever promise you that in paying your $25 you would see what you just posted as your "ideal" way of doing things? Was this a condition of you joining?

Find me that first...then we can talk further.

bdrs
07-10-2008, 11:39 PM
The means of communication for RPB IS this message board. If you want to be informed....GET informed, don't ask others to gift-wrap everything for you.

A rudimentary effort to selectively go through the most important posts would solve the problem. If you don't wanna get it fixed yourself...nobody wants to hear your whining about why you are not informed.
LMFAO...
maybe if I had a great spanish nickname I would have been informed there was a members only section. Just more of you telling everyone how they are supposed to support. I am whining because I expect to be counted over open discussion which includes non paying people? Give me a break. So was there a poll on this in the members area?

Roogsy
07-10-2008, 11:40 PM
Thanks for fixing that. Appreciated. You could be less of an asshole about it.

I am offering to help, now that I can see the member's section this will make things a lot easier.

If I offended, I apologize, but I shouldn't have had to yell/rant and scream at people I consider friends and comrades to get my status updated.

Have fun in Chicago.

I was an asshole because the people who have been carrying this group are exhausted. Tired. They are worn out. And to read one more post from someone demanding more from them is simply not fair. You failed in not following up about your status even though it has been repeatedly posted and had you done so, it would have saved lots of trouble. Don't blame me for looking at you and shaking my head because your failure caused you to come across as ungrateful.

The Kingpin
07-10-2008, 11:41 PM

3) Click the "To" button

4) Select "All"

5) Click on Send

I think if you PM Jack and offer your help it will be greatly appreciated. I know I would appreciate it. Cheers!

Bluenose13
07-10-2008, 11:42 PM
feel free to read my previous posts putting my support behind the RPB...
that said... I don't see that happening to BMO. I just don't think MLSE would stand for it.
MLSE are about $$$$$.... do you think pissing off the supporters that drive this team would be good for business?
I read you posts Flats & understand where you are coming from ;)

MLSE has had talks with the Argos about this & you may be right that they would not want this but also keep in mind MLSE does not own BMO & this protest is to let everyone involved know that we dont want Canada's SSS to have yard lines on the field & huge end zones behind the net.

Jimmy The Saint
07-10-2008, 11:42 PM
Nobody is forcing you to be RPB. If someone disagreeing with you makes you wanna leave...nobody will force you to stay.

And I am still stuck on this whole "I want things done this way"...when did anyone ever promise you that in paying your $25 you would see what you just posted as your "ideal" way of doing things? Was this a condition of you joining?

Roogsy. Tuesday, before the game, we need to get together so I can put a face to the name and we can discuss this face to face.

I am not trying to make people do things my way, I am trying to help improve the situation. I am trying to add some more blood/sweat/tears.

Do you want my help? Do you want my insights? Because I have plenty to offer if you want my help; I will spend the time helping out the RPB, beacause I believe in Jack, I believe in the TFC and I believe we are really making an impact on this city and the beuatiful game.

These debates are about making things better.

Like I said, Tuesday. I'll be at Joes around 5:30, I wear a Wynne jersey and I tend to hang out with Parky a whole lot.

Thanks.

egoodwin
07-10-2008, 11:43 PM
Really it's past discussing what kind of protest to do, or if to do a protest... Like it or not, the press release HAS gone out. We are now expected to do it... if we don't do it we'll look like fools...

You got a choice, do it or not do it, you can choose either or, but the majority of NEE, RPB and U-Sector will be doing it... end of story. Last minute bitching isn't going to change the fact that it is going to happen.

You can continue to bitch, moan, whine, and complain about the protest if you want, but keep in mind it is a complete waste of your and everyone else's time to do it, because like it or not, the press release went out and we are 100% going through with this... or you can go back a few weeks and/or months in time and bitch/whine and complain when your opinion may have actually mattered...

If you don't want to do it, fine. Just back the hell out of this thread and allow us who are planning on doing it to proceed in final preparations for it, without your negative whining

werewolf
No need for two solid supporters to come to verbal blows on an issue which is becoming off-topic.

Let's focus on the protest, and not wanting to have this

Roogsy
LMFAO...
maybe if I had a great spanish nickname I would have been informed there was a members only section. Just more of you telling everyone how they are supposed to support. I am whining because I expect to be counted over open discussion which includes non paying people? Give me a break. So was there a poll on this in the members area?

Hmmm...other people seemed to know about the section. There seems to be lots of discussion in there with non-mods. I must be going crazy but it seems like plenty knew about it.

bdrs
07-10-2008, 11:45 PM

Membership FAQ

Q: What does my $25 get me?

A: Membership in the Red Patch Boys will include special perks including:
- an exclusive scarf available ONLY to paid, card-carrying members
- gift of RPB dog tags
- RPB membership card with member number
- Voting rights on key issues affecting the group and for the executive elections
- Insider information on RPB news & events
- Special access to members-only events
- Special prices on RPB-organized road trips

That is why I paid.

Roogsy
07-10-2008, 11:46 PM
Roogsy. Tuesday, before the game, we need to get together so I can put a face to the name and we can discuss this face to face.

I am not trying to make people do things my way, I am trying to help improve the situation. I am trying to add some more blood/sweat/tears.

Do you want my help? Do you want my insights? Because I have plenty to offer if you want my help; I will spend the time helping out the RPB, beacause I believe in Jack, I believe in the TFC and I believe we are really making an impact on this city and the beuatiful game.

Like I said, Tuesday. I'll be at Joes around 5:30, I wear a Wynne jersey and I tend to hang out with Parky a whole lot.

Thanks.

Not a problem...just not before the game. I am always rushing to get there on time, especially mid-week because of work. Always willing to have a beer with a TFC fan and we can have a lively discussion in person without the internet cloud of confusion.

Toronto_Bhoy

Thanks.

I thought you said you were going to bed?

bdrs
Hmmm...other people seemed to know about the section. There seems to be lots of discussion in there with non-mods. I must be going crazy but it seems like plenty knew about it.

plenty but not all.

Bars92

MLSE has had talks with the Argos about this & you may be right that they would not want this but also keep in mind MLSE does not own BMO & this protest is to let everyone involved know that we dont want Canada's SSS to have yard lines on the field & huge end zones behind the net.

It all depends on the City and TFCs profitability versus Argos profitability in the face of NFL expansion. I guarantee if you walked into an Argos tailgate and asked the fans what they wanted you would get a lot of confused looks. I don't know why anyone going to the game wouldn't wear black, you guys have been talking about this for months.

Jimmy The Saint
07-10-2008, 11:47 PM
I think if you PM Jack and offer your help it will be greatly appreciated. I know I would appreciate it. Cheers!

Thanks Pat.

egoodwin
07-10-2008, 11:47 PM
Membership FAQ

- gift of RPB dog tags
- Voting rights on key issues affecting the group and for the executive elections

That is why I paid.
have you considered the thought that this is not a purely RPB protest, that the other groups are involved, and that the concept of this particular idea of how to do the protest didn't even come from RPB...?

Jimmy The Saint
07-10-2008, 11:48 PM
I thought you said you were going to bed?

If I do, I'll miss the next body blow ;)

Roogsy
07-10-2008, 11:49 PM
Membership FAQ

- gift of RPB dog tags

That is why I paid.

1)...can an admin please change his status to member please?
2)...the executive elections have not happened and will likely not happen this year, as for key decisions, you may or may not agree that protesting at the ASG should have been put to an official vote, but the unofficial board position has been made clear. If a vote was needed, there would have been a call for it. There wasn't.
3) Insider information is reasily available in the member forum, hence the need to make sure you status was updated properly. It was left to the members to check that this was completed. Jack got almost everyone...it's obvious that the two of you here on this board were missed and it is easily fixed. But did either of you contact Jack as he has been asking for several weeks?

You have gotten everything promised.

raj100
hey dudes MAYBE we shud sit and chant anti mlse and anti argo sss chants! YAHHH!!

egoodwin
I propose a new thread to discuss the protest in. The whining and bitching folks can have this thread to do the bitching and whining and crying they should have done weeks ago, while in the new thread, those of us who are actual going to go through with it can do so, without these negative whines getting in the way

Toronto_Bhoy

This is about nipping this in the bud.

Sorry Jack, it may appeal more to you but MLSE doesn’t care…they have your ticket money, you’ll be drinking their outrageously priced beverages and most importantly, contributing to their bottom line…why would they care?

Financial retribution is the route to go…we need a supporter organized concessions boycott.

It is tangible and can be measured in the only way a corporation like MLSE understands and cares…REVENUE!!!

Every week TFC/MLSE generates 2 or 3 times the revenue from concession sales in the South End than from gate receipts. Think about it…their objectives are not driven by the passion TFC, Leaf or Raptor fans, it’s driven by money. A concession boycott costs supporters nothing but the sound of cash “trickling” into MLSE’s coffers would be heard all the way to the offices at the Air Canada Centre and the Ontario Teachers Pension Fund.

While you and the other supporters groups can count on my full participation in the All Star protest, I honestly believe the only viable and effective protest is a fiscal one. It’s the only protest they will really understand…

The Kingpin
07-10-2008, 11:50 PM
LMFAO...

You seem to be the loudest dissenting voice here. Thus this makes you an aberration and sometimes this is how things are decided upon at times. Not everyone is going to be heard every time, the nature of the leadership model guarantees that. Everyone that helps support the largest football supporters club in North America are volunteers and require your support vs. your cries of villainy.

I live in northern England and I feel well informed, I had my say and it was heard. I feel the leaders of all three groups made the right decision as this is an impact event for the league. This to me is a multi-pronged way of addressing numerous issues and it is a great idea considering the way some things are going pear shaped. I applaud the level of communications to this point, but more volunteers would only make things stronger, so if you have concerns I suggest you volunteer your services to make things even greater.

Cheers!!

noochie
07-10-2008, 11:50 PM
have you considered the thought that this is not a purely RPB protest, that the other groups are involved, and that the concept of this particular idea of how to do the protest didn't even come from RPB...?

I knew it! The hippies are responsible.

Toronto_Bhoy
07-10-2008, 11:51 PM
If I do, I'll miss the next body blow ;)

I'll try and keep 'em above the belt!:smile:

flatpicker
07-10-2008, 11:54 PM

sure MLSE has had talks... they are a business and they wouldn't be a good one if they didn't hear all options.
But yard lines would hurt their bottom line and the financial power they have would either prevent it from happening or they would simply go build a new and better stadium and keep all profits.

either way... I'm not worried...

I may eat my words someday... who knows...
but if I do... I will find another way to spend my time and money.

MisterMacphisto
07-10-2008, 11:55 PM

To be honest, it sounds like you've been into the beer a little too much tonight. Your post is very incoherent.

Roogsy
07-10-2008, 11:56 PM
You seem to be the loudest dissenting voice here. Thus this makes you an aberration and sometimes this is how things are decided upon at times. Not everyone is going to be heard every time, the nature of the leadership model guarantees that. Everyone that helps support the largest football supporters club in North America are volunteers and require your support vs. your cries of villainy.

I live in northern England and I feel well informed, I had my say and it was heard. I feel the leaders of all three groups made the right decision as this is an impact event for the league. This to me is a multi-pronged way of addressing numerous issues and it is a great idea considering the way some things are going pear shaped. I applaud the level of communications to this point, but more volunteers would only make things stronger, so if you have concerns I suggest you volunteer your services to make things even greater.

Cheers!!

Patrick...it's 6 AM over there dude!!! You're nuts. ;)

The Kingpin
07-10-2008, 11:57 PM
Patrick...it's 6 AM over there dude!!! You're nuts. ;)

Early bird gets the worm! *I can't believe I just said that*

I'm an early riser!!

egoodwin
07-10-2008, 11:58 PM
FFS

The thread about this protest was made on May 13, 2008...

You've had almost 2 months to bitch/whine/complain and make your point heard...

GIVE IT UP ALREADY...

If you didn't make your point in those 2 months available, guess what, you missed the boat, and your point means shit all now.

If you did try to make your point, but it didn't stick then. well guess what, it didn't stick then, and now since the press release to the media has gone out to all the media outlets, it sure as hell ain't going to stick now...

Really, before continuing your arguments that you should have made 2 months ago, really you should realize that the time for arguing and debate is over, and that this is going to happen with or without you, like it or not.

On topic, are we going to hang Anti-Argos in BMO banners, or absolutely none at all?

RedRum
07-11-2008, 12:01 AM
People can whine all they want. 112,113 and 127 will be dead, at which point The Fortress will become The Morgue.

egoodwin
07-11-2008, 12:04 AM
biggest decision for me that day will be deciding what to eat in my seat that day...

Roogsy
07-11-2008, 12:05 AM
FFS

The thread about this protest was made on May 13, 2008...

You've had almost 2 months to bitch/whine/complain and make your point heard...

GIVE IT UP ALREADY...

If you didn't make your point in those 2 months available, guess what, you missed the boat, and your point means shit all now.

If you did try to make your point, but it didn't stick then. well guess what, it didn't stick then, and now since the press release to the media has gone out to all the media outlets, it sure as hell ain't going to stick now...

Really, before continuing your arguments that you should have made 2 months ago, really you should realize that the time for arguing and debate is over, and that this is going to happen with or without you, like it or not.

On topic, are we going to hang Anti-Argos in BMO banners, or absolutely none at all?

These threads put the issue to rest.

The thread about memberships

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=8

The thread about getting your status updated

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=181

The thread about the protest

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=50

And if you have member access, this is a member forum discussion on the protest, with poll and everything.

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=1928

Case closed. There is no room for questioning this at this point. The horses are out of the barn and the decision now is are you on board or not.

This thread needs to go back to discussing the protest. If you have a problem with the way things are done and are a member...start up a thread in the member forum.

Any posts not having to do with the protest will be moved or deleted.

bdrs
07-11-2008, 12:16 AM

Cheers!!
I volunteer my professional services whenever they could be used. Have yet to be required. I'm a designer. We design. I expect the management to manage which means building an organization. Finding people to help fill roles they need filled. There are no cries of villainy here. I was in full support of Jack til some statements about TFC I disagreed with our president making. Then St. Jimmy brings up a valid point that several paying members here agreed with and he was lambasted by a bunch of folks who live on these boards and seem to expect everyone else to do the same. There is no whining at all. Just my understanding of what we paid for.

bdrs
07-11-2008, 12:17 AM
These threads put the issue to rest.

The thread about memberships

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=8

The thread about getting your status updated

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=181

The thread about the protest

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=50

And if you have member access, this is a member forum discussion on the protest, with poll and everything.

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=1928

Case closed. There is no room for questioning this at this point. The horses are out of the barn and the decision now is are you on board or not.

This thread needs to go back to discussing the protest. If you have a problem with the way things are done and are a member...start up a thread in the member forum.

Any posts not having to do with the protest will be moved or deleted.
lmfao

heather
07-11-2008, 12:22 AM

Well said Jack

I am really glad this is being done!

Canadian Blue
07-11-2008, 02:07 AM
I know I will get blasted for this but to be perfectly honest all this political bullshit of protest and being the antl-scalper police is ruining my RPB experience. I know most of you will say you are only trying to secure the same RPB experience for the future but do you remember last year when we actually celebrated the footy and the fact that we had a team?

My 112 tickets may be up for sale next season..........and I may choose to sit in a less political section of the stadium

heather
07-11-2008, 02:09 AM
I know I will get blasted for this but to be perfectly honest all this political bullshit of protest and being the antl-scalper police is ruining my RPB experience. I know most of you will say you are only trying to secure the same RPB experience for the future but do you remember last year when we actually celebrated the footy and the fact that we had a team?

My 112 tickets may be up for sale next season..........and I may choose to sit in a less political section of the stadium

I'll take them!! :D You can have mine in 226 :)

Jimmy The Saint
07-11-2008, 05:26 AM
Hey guys; there is an entire thread by other users/members on this board, that sit in the supporters sections, that are planning on cheering on WHU, wearing claret and blue and being vocal about booing the allstars/mls for not starting one of our boys.

If we're going to run a united front on this protest, we'll need some of the leadership to makes sure the voice is heard in that thread as well, and convince some of these folks as well.

And to that as well, there are black west ham unted shirts available on numerous spots online, so there could be some compromise there as well.

Roogsy - about that beer? You going to Independiente on Tuesday?

Fort York Redcoat
07-11-2008, 06:41 AM
Everybody sitting will be like every other All star game. But I applaud you all wearing black to try and send a message. I'm with you in the cause.

Mrs. Workie
07-11-2008, 07:01 AM

So you just want to sit back, and let the MLSE, MLS, the City, etc do whatever the hell they please?

No thank you.

FluSH
07-11-2008, 07:05 AM

Bluuuuuuuuuuuuuuue!!!! Dude I don't wanna see you go but man if you do move... I'll buy your tickets.... It's only right since who ever buys them will have Red Thunder right beside them... =)

kitchener-TFC
07-11-2008, 07:53 AM

lol
I can't wait to see the two main supporter corners all quiet, and dull.

Jack
07-11-2008, 07:58 AM
I volunteer my professional services whenever they could be used. Have yet to be required. I'm a designer. We design. I expect the management to manage which means building an organization. Finding people to help fill roles they need filled. There are no cries of villainy here. I was in full support of Jack til some statements about TFC I disagreed with our president making. Then St. Jimmy brings up a valid point that several paying members here agreed with and he was lambasted by a bunch of folks who live on these boards and seem to expect everyone else to do the same. There is no whining at all. Just my understanding of what we paid for.

You're still going on about that one statement I made? You need to understand the perspective from which the statement comes. It's not something you can take by itself. Perhaps I didn't word it correctly, I'm not sure.

We should talk about that in person, because it's obvious that my point is not coming across the right way on the message board and I've got to get to work right now.

How about at the next game? Or in Chicago?

Guys, I will make sure we make more of an effort to keep you informed and I'm sorry you were missed on the status update so you could have more access to the information. It was a screw up on my part while updating and keeping track of the members list. I'll try hard to make sure it is better in the future.

I'm doing this because I care and because I think it makes a difference. If it doesn't please let me know about it in a constructive manner. Either that, or if I'm not the man for the job, then we need to find the one that is, because otherwise we're wasting everyone's time and money.

TO DEVILS
07-11-2008, 07:59 AM
Before this decision was made all three supporter groups leadership met with MLSE on this issue.

Ideas where exchanged, plans were put on the table and a healthy discussion between us and the club happened.

Of course we can't say the details of the conversation, but i believe we were frontal, open and honest with the FO on what our expectations as far as BMO Field remaining a SSS where and how far we are willing to go on the battle to achieve this.

Now to some this maybe a loosing battle, or we are fighting in the wrong front, perhaps we are not picking the correct enemy, i will guarantee you that all of this has been thought out, discussed and looked at.

MLSE is between a rock and hard place. They don't own the stadium, they run it, and as much as they will have a saying on this situation they can't veto the move. They can make it dificult, but can't veto.
The stadium is owned by the city, the city cares about revenue. We are 20,000 STH (give or take), that is a pin drop compaired to the population of Toronto and the voters in the city, so if a move benefits the city financially, be sure that it will be looked at.

Some people don't believe this will ever happen, therefore a protest is not needed....well where there is smoke there is fire, and this smoke keeps coming up. So i am not one to sit back and wait to see the flames before i get going. If this never happens, perfect, we won. But if it does i wanna be able to sleep at night knowing that i did everything in my power to create awareness and bring light to this problem.

Some folks will even compain about the avenue we are using for this protest. Why the ASG? We should be cheering for the All-Stars, we need this league to grow and by helping the league during this event we are doing our duty.
At this moment what other avenue do we have that ensures maximum exposure on this issue?
Why not the ASG? This is game that will be played between an English team and a team made of players we dislike. How can someone one call Landycakes a fruity when he has the Galaxy uniform, and now cheer for him? We don't even have any of our boys in the starting 11.
I am not a puppet of the league, so my interests and the interest of my Group come first, before anybody elses. A protest at the ASG will not affect the growth of the league, but could give us maximum credibility not only on the issue at hand but future and much larger issues that will be faced with. After this the league and MLSE will know that we are not to be taken for granted, that we have a voice and that we will have it heard when we feel that our interests are at risk.

I think its time people see pass their belly button and do what its best for BMO Field, and everybody that loves the atmosphere we have so much. Put your personal feelings aside, personal preference or politic views, and do what needs to be done. Sometimes for the greater good we need some personal sacrifices.

If you decide not to support this fine, but don't expect me to support you, when something that impacts you becomes a problem.

I wished All Together was more than an empty chant...

Jack
07-11-2008, 08:00 AM

We still do.

Most of the time, that's what it's all about.

Maybe you just need to spend less time on the message board.

(I know I do)

Razor
07-11-2008, 08:00 AM
my support is fully behind this protest and WHU.

i will be sitting and making sure i don't buy anything from the concession stand that day.

Steve
07-11-2008, 08:13 AM
I know I'll get called out on this, and I don't think this is should change anything for the protest but...

After watching the "MLS players reactions" to being picked for the all star team, I kind of feel... bad. I mean, not for players like Beckham and Donovan, they can handle it, but for the young American players who have never played in front of a friendly crowd like ours and seem genuinely excited to have our crowd on their side. They also don't seem to, for a second, question the fact that BMO would be cheering for them. MLS expecting us to perform like trained monkeys is one thing (and reprehensible) but those players are just naively optimistic, damn us for having to shatter that.

Chevy
07-11-2008, 08:22 AM
I'm totally down for making a statement at this game.
I also throw my full support behind the RPB.
I would simply have preferred to make our point known with loud cheers and jeers, and big ass banners.
It will take a lot of willpower to stay in my seat.
Being loud and excited at games just feels natural.
To be otherwise feels wrong somehow...
But like I said... I will give my support to the group (begrudgingly)

QFT - The protest is lame. People sitting down at a sports event? Wow, that will get a lot of attention.

Oldtimer
07-11-2008, 08:31 AM
QFT - The protest is lame. People sitting down at a sports event? Wow, that will get a lot of attention.

You know nothing about footie culture. Sitting down + silence is a well established form of protest worldwide in this sport.

Go back to cheering the Jays or whatever you do.

OneLoveOneEric
07-11-2008, 08:33 AM
^^^And I'm sure it draws attention in leagues that have an audience outside the people staging the protest.

Oldtimer
07-11-2008, 08:33 AM
Jack, I support this protest 100%. Most long-time RPBs would, as well.

U-Sector on their board is virtually 100% united in this protest. I wish we could show the same unity, but I guess if you have a large enough group, there will always be a few complainers.

Mrs. Workie
07-11-2008, 08:34 AM
QFT - People sitting down at a sports event? Wow, that will get a lot of attention.

Considering it's the complete opposite of what we usually do- ya i think it will.

Mrs. Workie
07-11-2008, 08:35 AM
U-Sector on their board is virtually 100% united in this protest. I wish we could show the same unity, but I guess if you have a large enough group, there will always be a few complainers.

It's not like this is anything new- there's been talk of it for months. Was there this much pushback then? I don't think there was.

Jack
07-11-2008, 08:37 AM
I know I'll get called out on this, and I don't think this is should change anything for the protest but...

After watching the "MLS players reactions" to being picked for the all star team, I kind of feel... bad. I mean, not for players like Beckham and Donovan, they can handle it, but for the young American players who have never played in front of a friendly crowd like ours and seem genuinely excited to have our crowd on their side. They also don't seem to, for a second, question the fact that BMO would be cheering for them. MLS expecting us to perform like trained monkeys is one thing (and reprehensible) but those players are just naively optimistic, damn us for having to shatter that.
It is too bad, I agree.

Well, if the bright young stars of the league want BMO Field to cheer for them, they should be putting in a call to their agents, or to Mighty Mo. :D

The Kingpin
07-11-2008, 08:45 AM
It is too bad, I agree.

Well, if the bright young stars of the league want BMO Field to cheer for them, they should be putting in a call to their agents, or to Mighty Mo. :D

That is awesome and true... Excellent retort.

Laurie79
07-11-2008, 08:56 AM
I'm doing this because I care and because I think it makes a difference. If it doesn't please let me know about it in a constructive manner. Either that, or if I'm not the man for the job, then we need to find the one that is, because otherwise we're wasting everyone's time and money.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for accepting some responsibility for this Jack. I understand you're busy, it's one of the major challenges someone who volunteers for a position has to face. And you make a good point, perhaps a vote would be in order for the near future?

Oldtimer
07-11-2008, 08:59 AM
From the argofans board:

i highly doubt that they could accomodate football in that stadium in time for the preseason game this year.
our deal with the dome runs thru the 2009 season, so we're there at least for a couple more years. after 2009, we have to choose either to leave, or to stay for 5 more years at the dome.
if we can get a deal in place fast enough, it could work. BMO field is a great stadium and that'd be fantastic!

This is my first official post.

As a lifelong Argos fan I took a look and recently discoverd this board, but have been reluctant to 'break the ice' with my comments. I feel now is the time.

I've worked for the team on gamedays for quite some time now, and have heard and seen it all. Im here to tell you - any talk of the Argonauts moving out of the SkyDome (will always be to me) should be met with total protest and resentment. As long as we have the ownership group currently in place, they would be out of their minds to leave the Dome. Like many of you have mentioned, that facility has at times been a 'tomb' or has appeared quite cavernous. But not in recent years. Our attendance has risen quite dramatically, we have given our fans some consistency by establishing an 'Argonauts' feel to the inside of the building, and if nothing more - it's blue! Very importantly, Rogers has allowed the team to make some cosmetic changes and additions that greatly inhance the gameday feel. This I feel would not translate over to any other venue in the city. Simply put - the Argonauts have a great relationship with their landlords, and it pays great dividends on the field and in the stands.

To those who feel the place looks half-empty on gamedays - have you ever seen a game at BC Place? I have. They don't even open the upper bowl with the exception of one section. They still produce some of the best crowds (and crowd noise) in the CFL.

And for those who long for a 'McGill type atmosphere' - sure, it's nice to look at but you get much more crowd noise from being inside the Dome than you do outdoors. See the Big 'O.

I understand the desire to move to an outdoor venue. Many of you (like myself) have travelled down the highway to a Bills game on occasion - and the atmosphere is stunning. To try and imagine the same comparison in a white-collar city like Toronto is simply nonsense.

I love our city, and I will always stand by it. But I'm cognisant to what this city and its people are all about. We need the Dome.

Oh, and keep the damn Bills in Buffalo too.

You don't think that MLSE would love to fleece a juinor tennant out of Millions of dollars so they could build themselves a big upper deck and/or roof with someone else's money?

As for the Argos playing second fiddle...uh, yeah...what do you think that they'd been doing in the RC? They'll be hosed wherever they go...i just hope that a second alternative is presented so @ least Howard and David will have some negotiating leverage between the two spots.

I've heard Sherwood got really hosed on his rent deal in the Dome, the number I heard was $750,000 per season. As for that Myth that prairie fans cling to, that the Argos get 'free rent' can anyone imagine Ted Rogers paying out of his own pocket the expenses that incur when opening the RC for a game? Has anyone here every downloaded a Ringtone from this man? Was it free? No? Then I'm quite sure he makes the Argos pay for things like Stadium staff, electricity, turf changover, etc and still makes a profit too.

Rogers is in business to make MONEY, that's what this whole Bills for 5 Years Deal is about, a huge Cash Grab.

Absolutely no way, shape or form is Ted losing money for the sake of the Argos. Sure, their deal is no doubt better than the one Sportco had with the Argos, but I doubt there's anything 'sweetheart' about it. After all, he knows the Argos options are limited after York fell through. They gotta play somewhere....

it never should have been built in the first place. 2nd worst sport on earth. but that's just me.

In response to your original post that was edited, presumably by you, it was a fact that BMO was supposed to be big enough for Canadian football.

Shayman posted evidence from City Hall minutes long ago proving that it was discussed as such, and I distinctly remember reading about how things like High School football playoffs, Varsity Blues and perhaps the Vanier Cup could be played there. True, it wasn't pushed much from a CFL angle because it was supposed to be for amateur sport, the Under 20 FIFA tourney and the CDN National Soccer team. But it was supposed to be multi-purpose. Somewhere along the lines the plans changed and no one in the city noticed or cared. Or were told.

And now the simple fact is only the FC will benefit from a Taxpayer funded stadium, MLSE wins again. Rogers and MLSE both got Stadiums they never paid full value for, and now they're fleecing the lemmings of TO who are lining up to pay big money to see Bills preseason games.

PT Barnum was right.

Anything paid for by Taxpayers money should be accessible to many things, not specific to one sport only. The fact that the RC has too big an area for American Football ain't gonna stop them from playing their games so why should MLS care if the field is a bit too long and wide? just chalk line what you need and ignore the rest. The NFL will for sure.

This idea of requiring soccer-specific stadiums is just elitist snobbery from a league that doesn't have the right to be snobby.

A key point, the FC didn't build that Stadium, for the most part public money did so why should it be usable for only Soccer?

In truth Soccer in Canada has no money to build anything, so why should they dictate what they play in? They should be happy to play anywhere, a multi-purpose facility should have been good enough.

Too bad the National Team won't use it eh? http://www.argofans.com/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif

Soccer is just a kids game elevated to pro status by the Europeans. Fans have to sing, drink like fish and amuse themselves because the game itself is boring. Hell, in many places the fans can't even sit together without violence breaking out. Do we really want that kind of 'sport' in this country? What's really laughable is that their fans call it 'the beautiful game'....now that IS funny! http://www.argofans.com/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif

Canada's true heritage is with our style of football that evolved from Rugby. That if anything should get our support. It is unique to this country.

I just listened to Mark Cohon's interview with Bob McCown and Stephen Brunt on FAN 590 the other evening and Cohon seems to be pushing for the Argos to move to BMO Field. Also, reading between the lines of what he was saying, I got the sense that the CFL might be willing to chip in money to do the renovations that would be necessary to get the Argos into that stadium. Furthermore, Cohon said that the Argos may play a pre-season game next year at BMO, even if they have to play on a 100 yard field instead of a 110 yard one (the width is apparently fine as is). Finally, Cohon essentially said (and I am paraprasing here) that he is only concerned with what Argos and CFL fans think and not about these soccer folk. So TFC fans might want to get prepared to share their stadium whether they like it or not.

Jack
07-11-2008, 08:59 AM
Thanks for accepting some responsibility for this Jack. I understand you're busy, it's one of the major challenges someone who volunteers for a position has to face. And you make a good point, perhaps a vote would be in order for the near future?

Well, I don't think a vote in the middle of the season would be a very good idea either. There's enough chaos as it is. It's something we look towards for the off-season.

Laurie79
07-11-2008, 09:02 AM
Well, I don't think a vote in the middle of the season would be a very good idea either. There's enough chaos as it is. It's something we look towards for the off-season.

My bad, i thought that's what you were suggesting with the 'maybe i'm not the right man, if thats case find one who is' (paraphrased)

Sounds great then, gives me something to look forward to in the off season.

H Bomb
07-11-2008, 09:05 AM

^^ I understand that thinking but I don't think a vote is in order here because the vote would be a vote for action or complacency. You can do complacency without having to vote. If this protest isn't your thing then fair enough, if it's too "political" for you then don't do it. We arent' a kindergarden class and we don't need to coddle our members. but the RPB are protesting.

blackandwhite
07-11-2008, 09:05 AM
off season... the best part of the year!!! unfortunately this year's will be shorter than last year's!!!

FUCK CHICAGO, FUCK FUCK CHICAGO!!!

Jack
07-11-2008, 09:07 AM
My bad, i thought that's what you were suggesting with the 'maybe i'm not the right man, if thats case find one who is' (paraphrased)

Sounds great then, gives me something to look forward to in the off season.
Yeah.. .well, it was the question. A lot of people do think I'm the right man. I think I do the best I can and people seem to be generally happy.

My point was, if people think I'm not, then they should let me know so we can find the person who is.

Mrs. Workie
07-11-2008, 09:09 AM
off season... the best part of the year!!! unfortunately this year's will be shorter than last year's!!!

FUCK CHICAGO, FUCK FUCK CHICAGO!!!

no no Deniz, you got it wrong:

FUCK SHIT-CAGO, FUCK FUCK SHIT-CAGO ;)

Boris
07-11-2008, 09:11 AM
Yeah.. .well, it was the question. A lot of people do think I'm the right man. I think I do the best I can and people seem to be generally happy.

My point was, if people think I'm not, then they should let me know so we can find the person who is.

I for one dont know anyone else who would throw himself into the lions dens this way. I really dont think that anyone knows just how much work is done to organize the smallest of things. It seems to be the people who do nothing to complain first.

What people dont realise is that this protest wont be as easy as it may seem. You think we WANT to just sit on our asses all day?

blackandwhite
07-11-2008, 09:12 AM

time to send the tanks!!

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2006/09/22/world/22thailand600.1.jpg

Jack
07-11-2008, 09:13 AM
no no Deniz, you got it wrong:

FUCK SHIT-CAGO, FUCK FUCK SHIT-CAGO ;)

It's funny because "cago" in Spanish means "I shit"

CretanBull
07-11-2008, 09:15 AM

The only way you'll ever not be El Presidente is if you step down. I can't see anyone running against you and I seriously doubt that anyone who did could get the votes needed to make a change happen...it's such a non-issue it seems stupid to discuss.

That's not meant as some lame ass-kissing, it's a statement of fact.

Mrs. Workie
07-11-2008, 09:20 AM
It's funny because "cago" in Spanish means "I shit"

That settles it- Chicago is 100% shit :D

Shaughno
07-11-2008, 09:23 AM
The only way you'll ever not be El Presidente is if you step down. I can't see anyone running against you and I seriously doubt that anyone who did could get the votes needed to make a change happen...it's such a non-issue it seems stupid to discuss.

Trust me, there is way too much work to not be getting paid for the work that gets done. I had to step down as treasurer because it took over all my time at work.

blackandwhite

Where is the set of ass kissing similies?? :D

Niall
I support the protest, but do have a concern.

What happens if there is not a united front, if some want to stand and cheer in 112 and other sections.

Will they be yelled at? will confrontations arise?

It seems likely to happen.

I am going to have a hard time not standing and hurling insults at Landycakes and company, but will do it.

Jack
07-11-2008, 09:26 AM

What happens if there is not a united front, if some want to stand and cheer in 112 and other sections.

I am going to have a hard time not standing and hurling insults at Landycakes and company, but will do it.
Hurling insults at Landycakes will, of course, be accepted. :D

Shaughno
I will be asking the regulars around me to sit down and will explain the protest to them. There most likely won't be a need to yell at them, and it won't work yelling anyway.

blackandwhite

It'll be like a regular TFC game!!

CretanBull
Where is the set of ass kissing similies?? :D

Right here http://members.shaw.ca/snowjeep/smilies/finger.gif

:D

Shaughno
07-11-2008, 09:27 AM
It'll be like a regular TFC game!!

3 half assed chants at the same time? Finally overpowered by TIOH?

koryo
07-11-2008, 09:30 AM
So basically, the All-star game will be like 105 every game except people will wear black? People sitting down, not saying a damn thing.

I kid, I kid.

What, precisely, are we protesting?

1. The Argos
2. The trained-monkey thing with MLS

I'm not asking to be confrontational, just want to get the facts straight.

Any banners being done to actually put what you're doing in some sort of context?

Wooster_TFC
07-11-2008, 09:33 AM
I know I'm not a member, but just a couple comments about the protest (which I think is a good idea).

First a few assumptions:

1. You want the protest to have some impact, but not affect TFC.
2. The audience for the All-Star game will be primarily American (or that's the target anyways)
3. A couple thousand West Ham fans are going to be at the game (I know The Hammers supporters groups got 1500 tickets or something, and am assuming there are a bunch of Hammers fans over here).
4. The rumor about the MLS shirts being black is true.

So, now the comments:

1. Wearing black is a bad choice. The MLS team jerseys will be black, and so the impact on the American TV audience is completely lost since most will just think there's a bunch of West Ham fans and a bunch of MLS fans.
2. I'm guessing the Hammers fans will be VERY vocal. Us being silent may actually be shoved off as us just being shown up by the "real" football fans from England.

I really do hope that the protest is successful, just have a feeling that there are other factors that will cause it to have less of an impact than desired.

Jack
07-11-2008, 09:36 AM
So basically, the All-star game will be like 105 every game except people will wear black? People sitting down, not saying a damn thing.

I kid, I kid.

What, precisely, are we protesting?

1. The Argos
2. The trained-monkey thing with MLS

I'm not asking to be confrontational, just want to get the facts straight.

Any banners being done to actually put what you're doing in some sort of context?

All of the above.

And the banners thing is something to think about.

egoodwin
07-11-2008, 09:39 AM
I know I'm not a member, but just a couple comments about the protest (which I think is a good idea).

First a few assumptions:

1. You want the protest to have some impact, but not affect TFC.
2. The audience for the All-Star game will be primarily American (or that's the target anyways)
3. A couple thousand West Ham fans are going to be at the game (I know The Hammers supporters groups got 1500 tickets or something, and am assuming there are a bunch of Hammers fans over here).
4. The rumor about the MLS shirts being black is true.

So, now the comments:

1. Wearing black is a bad choice. The MLS team jerseys will be black, and so the impact on the American TV audience is completely lost since most will just think there's a bunch of West Ham fans and a bunch of MLS fans.
2. I'm guessing the Hammers fans will be VERY vocal. Us being silent may actually be shoved off as us just being shown up by the "real" football fans from England.

I really do hope that the protest is successful, just have a feeling that there are other factors that will cause it to have less of an impact than desired.
Please forward your concerns to 2 weeks ago, when your comments may have made a difference

blackandwhite
07-11-2008, 09:40 AM
3 half assed chants at the same time? Finally overpowered by TIOH?

Let's go Canada!!

flatpicker
07-11-2008, 09:46 AM
Please forward your concerns to 2 weeks ago, when your comments may have made a difference

aren't you the smarty-pants! :)

I think it's still ok to have discussion about this.
This situation has turned into a good thing it seems as there will probably be lot's to learn from all this banter.

Mrs. Workie
07-11-2008, 09:48 AM
Let's go Canada!!

Can-Na-Duh
Can-Na-Duh

I fuckin hate that one...

egoodwin
07-11-2008, 09:48 AM
anyway, it has surfaced, not in MSM but still:

The press release has surfaced:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3...-all-star-game (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/36636-toronto-fc-supporters-to-protest-during-mls-all-star-game)

Toronto FC Supporters To Protest During MLS All-Star Game

Toronto FC has some of the best fans in Major League Soccer. They're loyal, loud and proud to support their team. So you'd think the powers-that-be would keep this in mind before pissing them off. Danny Brown claims this could get ugly...
http://bleacherreport.com/images_root/image_pictures/0054/7171/toronto-fc-bmo-field_article.jpg
A coalition of Toronto FC supporters groups will stage a silent protest during the upcoming Major League Soccer all-star game at BMO Field in Toronto.
The groups are increasingly concerned about the possible expansion of BMO Field to accommodate CFL football and specifically the Toronto Argonauts. The groups feel strongly that this would ruin the unique experience that has made Toronto FC such a successful franchise. It is not possible to fit a CFL field into the stadium without major reconstruction. Toronto FC's most rabid supporters will sit rather than stand during the all-star game. There will be limited chanting and cheering. They will wear black. Many of these supporters have pledged to boycott Toronto FC games should the stadium be retrofitted for CFL football.

"This is not an anti-Argos protest," said Pedro Almeida, leader of the North End Elite supporters group.
"Many of our members are Argos fans. We have nothing against the Argos or the CFL. We wish them the best of success. But Toronto FC fans signed up in the thousands to support this team based on the premise of it being a soccer-specific stadium with real grass and an intimate setting. We didn't get the grass. We better get to keep the intimate setting." Fans around the world mock MLS soccer when they see highlights of games being played in cavernous NFL stadiums decorated with football yardlines.

"The supporters groups are united on this," said Jack DePoe, president of the Red Patch Boys. "The club, the players, the media, everyone has acknowledged the contribution of the supporters groups in the club's success. We want everyone to understand how upset we are about the possibility of a CFL football retrofit. We won't stand for this kind of expansion."

"This was supposed to be our national soccer stadium," said Rudi Schuller, one of the leaders of U Sector. "But the national team players have already made it clear they prefer to play in other venues because of the Field Turf. Rebuilding for the CFL would further take BMO Field away from being the national soccer stadium."

Soccer-specific stadiums has long been a key part of the league's business plan. Seven of the league's 14 teams currently play in SS stadiums. Two others will move into SS stadiums within the next year. The rest have plans to build one.

For more information, contact Jack with Red Patch Boys.