PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Saturday,Feb.18

denime
02-18-2012, 07:00 AM
Mornin`

TFC TV (http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp)

Silva Stars In Toronto Triumph (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2012/02/silva-stars-toronto-triumph)

Toronto To Face USF Friday (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2012/02/toronto-face-usf-friday)

Avila Mentors Silva In Orlando (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2012/02/avila-mentors-silva-orlando)

TFC draft pick Silva tunes up against South Florida (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/tfc-draft-pick-silva-tunes-up-against-south-florida/article2343043/)

TFC wins tune-up (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2012/02/17/tfc_usf_feb17/)

Proper pre-season prep? (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2012/02/17/rowaan_blog/)

TFC back line taking shape after injury-plagued 2011 (http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/02/17/tfc-back-line-taking-shape-after-injury-plagued-2011)

TFC related blogs ! (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=29582)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshine-girl)

_

Ageroo
02-18-2012, 07:48 AM
Morning D.

London
02-18-2012, 08:12 AM
wins are good even in the pre-season

NEWTRAS LOL

J .
02-18-2012, 08:19 AM
5-1 win is probably the most encouraging news ive heard about TFC in a preseason as long as I can remember.

Oldtimer
02-18-2012, 08:41 AM
I'm feeling positive, but I'm not reading too much into the scoreline of an early pre-season warm-up. The Mickey Mouse game against Dallas will be an indicator, though. If Silva can score against MLS opposition, we'll be in good shape offensively.

nickio
02-18-2012, 08:44 AM
5-1 Is what is expected against a University team.

Kind of funny that all TFC goals were scored by 1st squad, and the 2nd feat. Koevermans didn't get on the score sheet.

But ye, wouldn't really read too much into it. Just a tune-up.

J .
02-18-2012, 09:23 AM
Indeed 5-1 should be expected vs a Uni side... something the team hasnt done in years past IIRC.

Brooker
02-18-2012, 09:36 AM
5-1 Is what is expected against a University team.

Kind of funny that all TFC goals were scored by 1st squad, and the 2nd feat. Koevermans didn't get on the score sheet.

But ye, wouldn't really read too much into it. Just a tune-up.

Do you remember some of our previous games against University teams? :D

ManUtd4ever
02-18-2012, 09:46 AM
Do you remember some of our previous games against University teams? :D

Exactly.

SoccMan
02-18-2012, 10:54 AM
The players who played in the second half of that game not a good outing for them just from looking at the score mind you, they lost the second half 1-0 to a bunch of university kids, not good if your a player on that second unit of guys trying to crack the starting 11.

Detroit_TFC
02-18-2012, 11:01 AM
I am a bit concerned that an XI that has so many starters in it wasn't able to score but we have no idea of what they were instructed to work on. Could be they were working on the build from the back and didn't press as much as first half. I do hope that the Disney games are full out affairs, not much time until March 7.

starter
02-18-2012, 11:17 AM
Interesting that no trialists were in the lineup -- are they not good, or not in shape just yet?

[NBF]
02-18-2012, 11:36 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_DnPwaEn8aGE/TROiiebTc3I/AAAAAAAANOo/GGY1KvIFMYE/s400/main.png

THOSE WERE THE DAYS..........

5-1 win is an impressive outcome considering that in 2010, TFC were a nightmare coming out of the winter break with Preki at the helm and our first pick a kid with a heart problem and a massive lack of depth. I think we couldnt buy a win vs the college players. Positive times are cometh.

Having Miguel Aceval at centre back is comparable to 2009 when we had Adrian Serioux playing out of position and being our best defender in coincidently the only year we had a chance at the playoffs and a reasonably confident backline. Now, I'm not saying that Aceval and Serioux are equal in talent but having just Aceval in the back four is enough to say we have an outside shot, and pair him up with Caecedo and we definitely have a centre back pairing to rival anyone in the league. Playoffs is a lock........time to bring out the smug suspenders.

ag futbol
02-18-2012, 11:36 AM
Jordan Hamilton made the field, that's fairly impressive.

Kaz
02-18-2012, 11:44 AM
I am a bit concerned that the second squad wasn't able to do more... though we don't know what the other side did, they may have buckled down... or Winter may have said give the defense a workout, ease off on the attack.

Frings, Plata, Silva, seemed to be the keys to the offense. Put Koev in there and when we are playing with our strongest players it's going to be an easy game.
Avila is going to have to work to keep his place.

Also to put it in perspective, 5 goals is as many as we scored in February last year in all games combined... and 5 goals is what we scored in all of preseason in 2010.

razor787
02-18-2012, 11:48 AM
;1446307']

5-1 win is an impressive outcome considering that in 2010, TFC were a nightmare coming out of the winter break with Preki at the helm and our first pick a kid with a heart problem and a massive lack of depth. I think we couldnt buy a win vs the college players. Positive times are cometh.

Having Miguel Aceval at centre back is comparable to 2009 when we had Adrian Serioux playing out of position and being our best defender in coincidently the only year we had a chance at the playoffs and a reasonably confident backline. Now, I'm not saying that Aceval and Serioux are equal in talent but having just Aceval in the back four is enough to say we have an outside shot, and pair him up with Caecedo and we definitely have a centre back pairing to rival anyone in the league. Playoffs is a lock........time to bring out the smug suspenders.

Until we see with our own eyes how the boys are playing, I think its a bit pre-mature to say we are a lock for playoffs. I do think however, that the team we have now is the best we have had yet, but we can't say for sure until we get some games in.

AL-MO
02-18-2012, 11:58 AM
;1446307']

Gotta love the people in this city that get ahead of themselves.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the playoffs this season.

ArmenJBX
02-18-2012, 12:04 PM
I've got an article coming up about yesterday's game, should be posted later today!

Also, don't forget to vote for me in the TFC Dream Job contest! Every vote counts!
https://apps.facebook.com/tfcdreamjob/contests/189938/voteable_entries/44480483

Suds
02-18-2012, 12:18 PM
Winning is always important. It does not matter if it's a tune-up against a lower level team or not. Winning is a mindset that starts from the beginning that says we play to win every time we step on the pitch.

Most teams are not good enough to decide when to turn it on or off. Go out and beat whoever you're playing on that day. Period.

Canary10
02-18-2012, 12:22 PM
Let's not jump to the conclusion that we're on our way to the playoffs or Koevermans is in a goal drought based on one game against a college team in the rain that no one actually saw.

Interesting that Johnson seems to have been played as a striker though. And Bouchiba as a full back. Not really where I would expect to see them, but again, one game.

Fort York Redcoat
02-18-2012, 12:26 PM
It's a start. Let's see them take it to the next level in the bigger, better, Mickey Mouse Tournament!

ArmenJBX
02-18-2012, 12:32 PM
The second half, the squad was told to play defensive, allow USF to attack.

Winter wanted to work on in-game defending with Maund/Caicedo.

The first half, they were told to score, don't worry about defending.

It really was a game of two halves!

Canary10
02-18-2012, 01:15 PM
The second half, the squad was told to play defensive, allow USF to attack.

Winter wanted to work on in-game defending with Maund/Caicedo.

The first half, they were told to score, don't worry about defending.

It really was a game of two halves!

Got some inside info there Armen?

That kind of industry should be rewarded with a TFC dream job...

mowe
02-18-2012, 01:26 PM
The biggest news out of that game for me was that Jordan Hamilton played the second half. They must have really seen something in that kid these past few weeks to put him in with the first/second stringers. Not bad for an almost 16 year old.

ag futbol
02-18-2012, 01:52 PM
Gotta love the people in this city that get ahead of themselves.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the playoffs this season.
I agree playoffs look very do-able, but you never really know what other teams have got into during the offseason. We still seem to have our critics amongst the MLS community at large, although from my view TFC in principal made the right choices during the break. Stocking up where necessary and basically letting it ride with players who performed at a certain level.

Things that have to happen in order for us to make the playoffs:

1) Some returning players need to up their game - Johnson, Avila, Morgan, Dunfield, Soolsma, even Plata to an extent need to get more consistent if we're going to make noise.

2) Central defensive pairing needs to be solid. It might take a few games, but these guys have to perform. No way around it.

ArmenJBX
02-18-2012, 02:08 PM
Got some inside info there Armen?

That kind of industry should be rewarded with a TFC dream job...

You would think, but alas, I sit in third!

:scarf:

[NBF]
02-18-2012, 02:38 PM
I agree playoffs look very do-able, but you never really know what other teams have got into during the offseason. We still seem to have our critics amongst the MLS community at large, although from my view TFC in principal made the right choices during the break. Stocking up where necessary and basically letting it ride with players who performed at a certain level.

Things that have to happen in order for us to make the playoffs:

1) Some returning players need to up their game - Johnson, Avila, Morgan, Dunfield, Soolsma, even Plata to an extent need to get more consistent if we're going to make noise. Agreed, we need more confidence and consistency.

2) Central defensive pairing needs to be solid. It might take a few games, but these guys have to perform. No way around it. <----exactly, priority number 1 there, but with the current players on the roster now it apppears the only problem might be just a communication problem

This is why I think we are playoffs bound. We literally have a better defense than the fringe talent that was much better suited to playing in the USL/NASL, and not just one or two players but a block of players that are talented and experienced defenders. Very few teams can say that they have that much talent on defense in MLS.

TFC 4-3-3(Defensive):

--------------------------Frei-------------------------
Eckersley-------Caecedo---------Aceval--------Morgan
------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------Frings-----------------------
--------------DeGuzman----------Avila----------------
Plata------------------------------------------Johnson
----------------------Koevermans---------------------

TFC 4-3-3(Offensive):

--------------------------Frei-------------------------
Eckersley-------Caecedo---------Aceval--------Morgan
--------------DeGuzman----------Frings----------------
Lambe------------------Johnson------------------Plata
----------------------Koevermans---------------------

No matter what formation Aron Winter puts out there, the players are capable of being competitive in every game.

Yeoman
02-18-2012, 02:48 PM
Let's not jump to the conclusion.

hell i'm always down for it
http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/additional/large/office_space_kit_mat.jpg

i always hope for moot!
anyways i'm always cautious about play offs in this damn league. wasn't colorado ranked seventh or eighth?

PopePouri
02-18-2012, 03:48 PM
Not bothered about the goal.

I'm sure Madrid weren't quivering their boots when they let one in against Gabe Gala.

nickio
02-18-2012, 03:51 PM
It's hard to believe that in this day and age there is no footage from this game, in Florida... Oi

J .
02-18-2012, 04:27 PM
Beating a uni team when your a pro MLS club is expected. That we were so bad for so long I can see why people are ready to plan the playoffs.

The CCL match will be a better barometer of how TFC stacks up.

sashavukelich
02-18-2012, 06:33 PM
^^^Nickio, i'm not sure if you've noticed there has been VERY little footage of the team playing/training in preseason so far. I think it takes pressure of from the media to let them rebuild str/fitness in a no-criticism zone.

tfcocd
02-18-2012, 09:44 PM
2 academy players in each half. Hamilton with his first senior Experience. How many others will get a run? I hope vukovich gets his opportunity in pre season.

nickio
02-19-2012, 08:01 AM
^^^Nickio, i'm not sure if you've noticed there has been VERY little footage of the team playing/training in preseason so far. I think it takes pressure of from the media to let them rebuild str/fitness in a no-criticism zone.

good point

Carts
02-19-2012, 10:28 AM
I'm leaving for Florida tonight, and looking forward to see some matches first hand...