PDA

View Full Version : San Jose Signs Huckerby - SBI

H Bomb
07-10-2008, 02:33 PM
http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2008/07/san-jose-acquir.html

The San Jose Earthquakes have reached an agreement with English striker Darren Huckerby after completing a trade with Toronto FC for his rights, sources with knowledge of the deal told SBI on Thursday. Huckerby will join the Earthquakes when the MLS transfer window opens on July 15th.
The 32-year-old former Manchester City and Leeds player had been in talks with Toronto FC for some time but will now join an Earthquakes squad that has scored a league-low 10 goals this season. Details of what San Jose traded Toronto FC for Huckerby's rights were unavailable, but one source believes allocation money was involved....

more on Ives

I knew it was coming but am very disappointed

werewolf
07-10-2008, 02:34 PM
Mo better have something up his sleeve, why would they give them there best player a week before we play them...

RedsYNWA
07-10-2008, 02:40 PM
Ali Gerba rights

Jimmy The Saint
07-10-2008, 02:42 PM
Ugh (Message was too short, but that's all I have to say)

H Bomb
07-10-2008, 02:42 PM
Just couldn't come on a worse day for me. When it is so obvious that we cannot succeed without a major upgrade up front, a rival gets a major upgrade up front through us. Damnit.

werewolf
07-10-2008, 02:43 PM
Ali Gerba rights

That would be much welcome :canada:

Steve
07-10-2008, 02:43 PM
Mo better have something up his sleeve, why would they give them there best player a week before we play them...

Yeah, that doesn't seem terribly prudent to me. Why not hold off until after we play them? Do we gain anything by doing it now, especially if it is allocation money? Of course, Mo might just have a DP up his sleeve that he will also unleash on the 15th. We'll have to wait and see.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-10-2008, 02:44 PM

He will, he always does (or certainly does this year).
Not too shaken, surprised or worried.
And i doubt Gerba is part of the plan.

arsenal
07-10-2008, 02:47 PM
Ali Gerba rights Whats the point? He wants DP-type $ and he is certainly not worthy of that. Hopefully we got enough allocation $ to offer up to someone to take Cunny off our hands.

werewolf
07-10-2008, 02:48 PM
There is no way a player cut by 3rd division Germany is getting anywhere near DP money, he is out to lunch if he thinks that.

ilikemusic
07-10-2008, 02:49 PM
I didnt hear it from any official source but wasnt the word that Hucks was coming here looking for the California lifestyle? I dont think he would have fit here if he isnt looking to play serious football and take it just as seriously as he would have in England.

arsenal
07-10-2008, 02:51 PM
There is no way a player cut by 3rd division Germany is getting anywhere near DP money, he is out to lunch if he thinks that.

Which is pretty much what Mo said. Posts alluded to the last time they spoke to him ..... he was looking for $300k plus which is pretty much why Mo has been on record as saying it is not going to happen.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-10-2008, 02:52 PM
I didnt hear it from any official source but wasnt the word that Hucks was coming here looking for the California lifestyle? I dont think he would have fit here if he isnt looking to play serious football and take it just as seriously as he would have in England.

Yep, thast pretty much it.
I think fieldturf was half the truth.

Which is pretty much what Mo said. Posts alluded to the last time they spoke to him ..... he was looking for $300k plus which is pretty much why Mo has been on record as saying it is not going to happen.

I dont think hes going to be finding that money anywhere at this point, having been cut. Id offer 100k tops. Even then im skeptical, look at the dudes club record...

RedsYNWA
07-10-2008, 02:57 PM
It seems to me Gerba will sign in the MLS. Rumors had San Jose making an offer for him and this Huckerby thing came along......you never know Gerba might be TFC

profit89
07-10-2008, 03:05 PM
It seems to me Gerba will sign in the MLS. Rumors had San Jose making an offer for him and this Huckerby thing came along......you never know Gerba might be TFC

Mo better do something. Gerba + DP.

We need to get rid of Cunny asap.

SilverSamurai
07-10-2008, 03:14 PM
Mo better do something. Gerba + DP.

We need to get rid of Cunny asap.
Stop teasing me!
I would LOVE for this to be true!!!:canada:

noochie
07-10-2008, 03:17 PM
Nice for the allocation money. I could take or leave Gerba though, I like the guy but there are plenty of options out there (don't get me wrong, he would be a huge upgrade over Cunny, I know)... get Dickov signed for now and keep going after the big name DP.

TFC07
07-10-2008, 03:23 PM
Good! I never wanted him in the first place. TFC can do way better job of getting a quality striker who isn't an injury prone.

noochie
07-10-2008, 03:30 PM
With SJ's luck this year... he will play 2 games and be out with a season-ending knee injury.

No tears shed here... although the lack of ability to sing players based on FieldTurf is disturbing to say the least. Darren, best of luck to you, enjoy your retirement in California.

invictusTFC
07-10-2008, 03:31 PM
Huckerby is a twat. No big loss. Is San Jose substantially better with him in the lineup? I don't think so... We'll see him on the 19th. Thats when he'll realize he made the wrong decision.

McBrace
07-10-2008, 03:42 PM
Huckerby is a twat. No big loss. Is San Jose substantially better with him in the lineup? I don't think so... We'll see him on the 19th. Thats when he'll realize he made the wrong decision.

Probably won't play, and find an excuse like Beckham! Obvioulsy his heart isn't in the game, he's looking to soak up the sun and make some cash.

yellowfellow
07-10-2008, 03:45 PM
Chant for July 19: "You're still playing on turf!"

Billy the kid
07-10-2008, 03:45 PM
Goal.com also says it's a done deal although unable to confirm with San Jose. They say allocation money traded.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=771532

Pachuco
07-10-2008, 03:54 PM
Mo just got more money to go shopping. I just hope he has his eye on something already.

Kevvv
07-10-2008, 03:58 PM
Chant for July 19: "You're still playing on turf!"

Banner:

O'Brien,
Huckerby:
You've been Turfed

Cashcleaner
07-10-2008, 03:58 PM

I think you may be right about that. San Jose won't be in contention this year, and perhaps not next year either. His addition to the roster, while positive, isn't going to propel them to the playoffs anytime soon.

MG42
07-10-2008, 03:59 PM
Trust in Mo

Cambridge_Red
07-10-2008, 04:44 PM
Thank god actually.. Huckerby would've lasted about 2 games @ BMO. We need to make a move now though...

tovan
07-10-2008, 04:48 PM
Gerba signed with Montreal until the end of the season. He is looking to sign in Europe next season.
http://www.rds.ca/impact/chroniques/255377.html

Lucky Strike
07-10-2008, 04:51 PM
It is a shame because Huckerby is a good player but in a way it's a relief that the saga is over. And at the very least, we have received something in exchange. I just hope Huckerby doesn't improve San Jose that much that it lowers our draft pick we got from them in the O'Brien deal. I hope all this money can be put into a really good DP. I like the idea of Dickov but we shouldn't end our search there.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-10-2008, 04:52 PM
Gerba signed with Montreal until the end of the season. He is looking to sign in Europe next season.

in 3rd division Belgium.

werewolf
07-10-2008, 05:00 PM

Is he getting DP money there... :rofl:

Draracle
07-10-2008, 05:15 PM
I would love to see what we got for basically nothing. Depending if Huckerby can pull SJ out of the basement (and I doubt it) Mo will have fleeced SJ twice in one year. Suckers.

oxygenatedbrain
07-10-2008, 05:16 PM
...so this is not a done deal, yet...

Ossington Mental Youth
07-10-2008, 05:36 PM
...so this is not a done deal, yet...

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080710.wspttorontoFC/GSStory/GlobeSports/home

Doesnt get anymore done than this

oxygenatedbrain
07-10-2008, 05:42 PM
Sorry, had a little computer problem...I meant the Gerba news...

Corpand
07-10-2008, 05:52 PM
gtfo Hucks...shaaaaaaaaaaaame

jloome
07-10-2008, 06:05 PM
I think people on both this board and SBI massively underestimate Huckerby's talent, and if he stays healthy, this will be the player steal of the season, unfortunately.

Not much good to say right now. Dickov isn't in Huckerby's class by a stretch (in fact Hucks kept him out of the Man City lineup for a time) and I don't see rumours that Mo is talking to anyone else out there.

This is putrid. I really want to wait and have faith, but this has to get done before we drop too many more points on close ones.

Corpand
07-10-2008, 06:07 PM
What scares me is that most of the players we've signed this year have come over because of CARVER, not Mo....so Mo better be cooking something up to get us a striker, but asking Dickov to sign seems like an act of desperation.

Nuvinho
07-10-2008, 06:15 PM
We get allocation money and a international spot. If we are getting an international spot, Mo is definately up to something. He is stockpiling those spots it seems.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-10-2008, 07:03 PM
I think people on both this board and SBI massively underestimate Huckerby's talent, and if he stays healthy, this will be the player steal of the season, unfortunately.

Not much good to say right now. Dickov isn't in Huckerby's class by a stretch (in fact Hucks kept him out of the Man City lineup for a time) and I don't see rumours that Mo is talking to anyone else out there.

This is putrid. I really want to wait and have faith, but this has to get done before we drop too many more points on close ones.

How much did we hear about Robert before he signed?
Ricketts?
Dont get bitter because we didnt sign Huckerby, Mo has done no wrong this season and you know it.
Time to have faith.

Nuvinho
07-10-2008, 07:11 PM
I think Mo is exploring more than just what was reported.

As well, he could me gaining international spots for when they do make a trade with Chicago for McBride.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-10-2008, 07:14 PM
What scares me is that most of the players we've signed this year have come over because of CARVER, not Mo....so Mo better be cooking something up to get us a striker, but asking Dickov to sign seems like an act of desperation.

I wouldnt write Mo entirely off.
Im sure Carver was a component of it, but he wasnt the end all and be all.
Ricketts for instance... Ricketts never played under Carver...
Nor did Guevara...

Ossington Mental Youth
07-10-2008, 07:17 PM
PS
i do agree that Dickov isnt optimal, i bet he doesnt sign because we are offering too little and we have something bigger coming...

Ossington Mental Youth
07-10-2008, 07:18 PM
its obvious at this point in time (especially in yesterdays game) that we are lacking a striker. Carver has asked for one from the start and i really dont see Mo not delivering...

T_Mizz
07-10-2008, 07:35 PM
International Playert slot? and allocation money? Mo's planning something big I can feel it

Pachuco
07-10-2008, 07:50 PM
International Playert slot? and allocation money? Mo's planning something big I can feel it

There's been no mention of an international player slot (atleast that I've seen)

arsenal
07-10-2008, 07:53 PM
I think Mo is exploring more than just what was reported.

As well, he could me gaining international spots for when they do make a trade with Chicago for McBride.

We have vacant int'l slots right now so not being done for the Chi deal. Our problem this year is senior roster slots not int'l slots. The int'l slots will be for coming years when the extras we have right now are expiring.

I have a strong feeling we will be seeing Carlos Ruiz coming in as our striker.

arsenal
07-10-2008, 07:54 PM
There's been no mention of an international player slot (atleast that I've seen)

linked earlier in the thread ... http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080710.wspttorontoFC/GSStory/GlobeSports/home.

"It is believed that Toronto will receive allocation money and an international roster spot from San Jose."

Dirk Diggler
07-10-2008, 07:58 PM
With all these various allocations spots and international slots and what not, I would have liked to see all of Gerba, Dickov and a DP striker signed. However, since Gerba seems Montreal bound, and Dickov seems to have been turned off by the idea of MLS football (atleast thats what I'm guessing about his hesitence to sign), it seems that we might have to lure some brand new faces. We better do it quickly though. Can't go blowing about any more games.

Pachuco
07-10-2008, 08:01 PM
linked earlier in the thread ... http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080710.wspttorontoFC/GSStory/GlobeSports/home.

"It is believed that Toronto will receive allocation money and an international roster spot from San Jose."

oh wow, missed that one.

reggie
07-10-2008, 08:16 PM
fuck huck,go play in that soccer hotbed with those soccer moms chanting...

bee dubya
07-10-2008, 08:57 PM
^while I'm sure it's going to come as a bit of culture shock for Hucks when he does play in SJ, I think a big reason that players like Hucks or Robbo come to North America is so that they can get away with the obsessiveness of the football culture that they have in the UK. These guys are looking for a nice place to raise their family and if he thinks that's SJ, good for him.

I'm disappointed that he didn't choose to come here but I'd rather he go play in SJ if that's where he wants to be than phone it in if he were here. I just hope that Mo and Carver have something big cooked up for the striker position because we need all the help we can get up front.

noochie
07-10-2008, 09:02 PM

:hurray:

This is great news. Clears the way for a DP plus Dickov (if he decides to sign).

Northern Soul
07-10-2008, 09:06 PM
We NEED to do something striker-wise, and quick. I'm not happy about this news at all.

noochie
07-10-2008, 09:19 PM
^^ I agree we need something done quick... but we are in a great position at the moment. 2 free 'I' slots and now even more money out of the "natual disasters" PLUS we still hold all the cards on McBride.

Now if only we could score some goals ;)

Roogsy
07-10-2008, 09:53 PM

I learned the hard way to be patient.

And this time I will be.

I think he might pull something, and I hope soon.

Of course, if he doens't sign or trade for someone...and we miss the playoffs, I am back where I started at the beginning of the season.

We shall see.

noochie
07-10-2008, 10:03 PM
I am being patient also... realistically nothing is going to happen until after the 15th in terms of a free transfer signing. Even more likely... nothing is going to happen towards the closing of the window on Aug 15th. Especially with the McBride situation, the longer Mo holds out the more likely Chicago will be willing to get a deal done before the window closes on them.

profit89
07-11-2008, 06:07 AM
Gerba + Dickov + DP - Cunny = MLS Playoffs

Ossington Mental Youth
07-11-2008, 07:25 AM
Gerba has signed with Impact until the end of the season and is then headed to Europe.

invictusTFC
07-11-2008, 07:55 AM

Please, Hucks is finished. I can't stand how some people on this site have put him up on some pedestal like a God. He played the last 5 years of his career in the Championship which tells me he piqued over 5 years ago. His best years were at Man City while they struggled in the EPL. He has no European experience i.e. UEFA Cup or Champions League. He was an average player at best and his impact on TFC would pale in comparison to what Guevara has brought to the table. I'd rather have an older more experienced Joao Pinto than this injury proned Championship player.

If his signing with San Jose paves the way for Mo signing a DP then TFC got the better end of the deal.

Hucks is shit...

Northern Soul
07-11-2008, 09:17 AM
Please, Hucks is finished. I can't stand how some people on this site have put him up on some pedestal like a God. He played the last 5 years of his career in the Championship which tells me he piqued over 5 years ago. His best years were at Man City while they struggled in the EPL. He has no European experience i.e. UEFA Cup or Champions League. He was an average player at best and his impact on TFC would pale in comparison to what Guevara has brought to the table. I'd rather have an older more experienced Joao Pinto than this injury proned Championship player.

If his signing with San Jose paves the way for Mo signing a DP then TFC got the better end of the deal.

Hucks is shit...

A God? No. Better than what we have, and not 90 years old? Yes.

UltraFootyKWC
07-11-2008, 09:31 AM
Banner:

O'Brien,
Huckerby:
You've been Turfed

:lol: Yes!

maninb
07-11-2008, 09:49 AM
If we don't sign a worthy striker(and I don't mean Dickov) within the next 10 days we won't be making the playoffs..GUARANTEED!

kitchener-TFC
07-11-2008, 10:40 AM
I can't wait until the 19th, when we kick SJ's ass!

Ossington Mental Youth
07-11-2008, 10:59 AM
If we don't sign a worthy striker(and I don't mean Dickov) within the next 10 days we won't be making the playoffs..GUARANTEED!

Dunno bout that dateline but i think everyone can agree that we need a top striker to make the playoffs

Bobo
07-11-2008, 11:24 AM
Fuck Huck!

Gets taken around the city, pretty sure paid for by TFC, then splits. Makes Mo look like a fool. Has he not known about the turf for the past 6 months? Could have been focusing elsewhere this whole time.

Oblio2
07-11-2008, 11:32 AM
Hucks is a good player and will do well, however I question his motivation when he signs for that toilet team in San Jose.
Whatever, I trust in Mo and think that he has something up his sleeve...Im sure Dickov will sign soon....

invictusTFC
07-11-2008, 11:43 AM
Dunno bout that dateline but i think everyone can agree that we need a top striker to make the playoffs

I think most people have been saying that from the beginning of the season. IMO though neither Hucks or Dickov fit that bill. I'd rather have McBride than any forward we currently have or have been rumored thus far. Its important to extract equal compensation from Chicago for McBride since thats the only place he'll play. I'm thinking Justin Mapp and allocation.

Nuvinho
07-11-2008, 11:55 AM
I know its mls-rumors.net, but they say that McBride may not play this year, b/c Toronto's demand is too high. So he may wait til next year, when another team may have his rights.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-11-2008, 12:16 PM
I know its mls-rumors.net, but they say that McBride may not play this year, b/c Toronto's demand is too high. So he may wait til next year, when another team may have his rights.

Dont think that will happen, dudes 36 and most people figure hes only got a season and half in him...

jloome
07-11-2008, 01:07 PM
Y'know, the more I think about this, the more Huckerby's insistence on playing where he can experience "the California lifestyle" bodes well for us. If he thinks it's gonna be a walk in MLS because he's a skill player, he hasn't reckoned on the almost-mindless tenacity in this league. The teams that win do it because they're on you like dogs from the first whistle to last, and I'm not sure someone who thinks this is a lifestyle change will appreciate that too much.

ALthough, it should also be said that he's one of the most tenacious players you'll ever meet, too, so maybe he leaves the lifestyle stuff at home. Ah well, we'll have to wait and see, I guess.

Tintin
07-11-2008, 01:22 PM
I did not like Mo as a coach but I trust him as a GM. I think he has a Master Plan and will make moves soon. I look for Dickov and another player to come. He has to move now since we are in a slump.

koryo
07-11-2008, 01:23 PM
Fact is, he didn't want to come here so we're not missing anything.

Blixa
07-11-2008, 04:16 PM
I'm not losing any sleep over this guy. If California is the decided factor for him then fuck him.