PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Wednesday,Feb.15

denime
02-15-2012, 06:39 AM
Mornin`

TFC TV (http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp)

Academy Meets With Parents (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2012/02/academy-meets-parents)

Trialists, Tickets & #TFCDreamJob (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2012/02/trialists-tickets-take-your-shot)

Reds play wait and see with de Guzman (http://www.torontosun.com/2012/02/14/reds-play-wait-and-see-with-de-guzman)

TFC related blogs ! (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=29582)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshine-girl)

_

denime
02-15-2012, 06:46 AM
Academy Meets With Parents (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2012/02/academy-meets-parents)

Very good meeting ,commitment and passion from Rongen and whole TFCA staff is very promising.

Handbook is over 70 pages,from players/parents code of conduct,nutrition, media advise,to education programs and possibilities.

At 1:30 there is RPB in white Adidas hood ;)

ensco
02-15-2012, 07:05 AM
Given that this was more longform than the blog-type dispatches that hehas been doing, I was surprised that Larson didn't address the obvious question with JDG.

Can you even keep a guy if his market value is only 10-20% of what he made on his last deal? Do you ever seevthat? Is it just too hard on the guy's ego? Isn't a new team really a better idea, in those circumstances?

Fort York Redcoat
02-15-2012, 07:49 AM
I don't see JDG wanting to leave for another team. He's shown little interest in the league outside of Toronto and the ego blow would be in shopping for a team overseas I'm afraid. La liga will probably not be his direction at this point. I think he may finish here.

TFC/Everton
02-15-2012, 08:00 AM
Deguz will only be back at a non-DP salary. I am sure management would rather spend money on a better euro import or an academy kid in the years to come.

Technorgasm
02-15-2012, 08:07 AM
I wonder who here thiknks JDG is money well spent. . .
This season he will be working hard to prove he deserves to stay here. I hope we see his best.
I also hope that with the spotlight shared with him and Frings / Kov. . he will shine.

God just thinkgin abotu having frings in the back line again give me nightmares.
I hoep to high hell he is played in a very forward postiton and has the chance to ge4t some quality service into the BOX.
IN THE FUCKING BOX~!!!!

Yohan
02-15-2012, 08:11 AM
Deguz will only be back at a non-DP salary. I am sure management would rather spend money on a better euro import or an academy kid in the years to come.
JDG at 2 mil/yr or JDG at 350k/yr makes no difference cap wise. Will JDG take like 200k salary?

Oldtimer
02-15-2012, 08:14 AM
I don't see JDG wanting to leave for another team. He's shown little interest in the league outside of Toronto and the ego blow would be in shopping for a team overseas I'm afraid. La liga will probably not be his direction at this point. I think he may finish here.

I actually see JDG going back to Spain, provided his "blackballing" due to his complaints over unpaid wages is over. He can make more money over there than a non-DP deal here, plus his family is over there. He'll have his $6+ mil (less expenses and taxes), plus a few Voyageurs Cup medals, and maybe even a CCL medal to bring back with him. It will have been a good run for him over here. Not so great for the fans, who only will have seen probably a little over 1 year of good football from him, although it's not really 100% his fault (he was a terrible fit for Prekiball in year 1 of his contract, and then played much of last year injured).

Oldtimer
02-15-2012, 08:19 AM
JDG at 2 mil/yr or JDG at 350k/yr makes no difference cap wise. Will JDG take like 200k salary?

No, of course.

He's actually a good player, when uninjured and with the right system and players around him. Even in MLS, he's worth more than $200k.

The advantage of having JDG at say, $350k, if he was willing to stay here for that little, is that it opens up a DP slot that we could use for another key player. If we got another game-changer like a Koevs or Frings (and I have every confidence that Mariner would bring in someone like that rather than a Mista) it would be an upgrade over JDG. Not that I want JDG gone at all, he can actually work quite well beside Frings and stabilize the midfield.

No way he'll be getting the same money though, even if he stays. Mo way overspent, when you compare his wages with Koevs/Frings.

DOMIN8R
02-15-2012, 08:26 AM
Did JDG eventually move his wife and kid(s) from ESP to CDN? I don't think so. IMO that speaks volumes.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-15-2012, 08:26 AM
I wonder who here thiknks JDG is money well spent. . .
This season he will be working hard to prove he deserves to stay here. I hope we see his best.
I also hope that with the spotlight shared with him and Frings / Kov. . he will shine.

God just thinkgin abotu having frings in the back line again give me nightmares.
I hoep to high hell he is played in a very forward postiton and has the chance to ge4t some quality service into the BOX.
IN THE FUCKING BOX~!!!!

Why would he be in the back line again?
I would expect him to play too forward as hes never really been an offensive mid, more a dm/cm

ManUtd4ever
02-15-2012, 08:38 AM
The only plausible scenario in which I can envision TFC offering JDG the type of DP level contract extension that he would be willing to accept is if he has an MVP worthy season. Otherwise, the two sides will most likely part ways at the end of the season.

Yohan
02-15-2012, 08:45 AM
No, of course.

He's actually a good player, when uninjured and with the right system and players around him. Even in MLS, he's worth more than $200k.

The advantage of having JDG at say, $350k, if he was willing to stay here for that little, is that it opens up a DP slot that we could use for another key player. If we got another game-changer like a Koevs or Frings (and I have every confidence that Mariner would bring in someone like that rather than a Mista) it would be an upgrade over JDG. Not that I want JDG gone at all, he can actually work quite well beside Frings and stabilize the midfield.

No way he'll be getting the same money though, even if he stays. Mo way overspent, when you compare his wages with Koevs/Frings.
you get 4 players at 350k and you leave very little room in the cap for quality. certain not enough depth. terrible way to build a roster

brad
02-15-2012, 09:03 AM
My guess is JDG ends up in France or Germany after this season is up.

Even if he has a great season and plays to expectations, I just don't see Winter and Mariner thinking that he is the best use of that DP slot, especially with Frings in the midfield.

Oldtimer
02-15-2012, 09:05 AM
you get 4 players at 350k and you leave very little room in the cap for quality. certain not enough depth. terrible way to build a roster

Agreed... but as I said, I don't really believe JDG will be here after this year.

Yohan
02-15-2012, 09:05 AM
yeah but Frings has what, one, maybe two yrs worth of juice left?

brad
02-15-2012, 09:06 AM
The only plausible scenario in which I can envision TFC offering JDG the type of DP level contract extension that he would be willing to accept is if he has an MVP worthy season. Otherwise, the two sides will most likely part ways at the end of the season.

Even then I don't see it tbh. With Frings in the midfield, I think they will see better options for the spot.

If they could track a quality U21 AM from somewhere, and fill JDG's DP spot with that player, that would make us a much better team, and save $135k in cap space.

brad
02-15-2012, 09:09 AM
yeah but Frings has what, one, maybe two yrs worth of juice left?

How long is Frings contract though? Either we are paying him for a couple years as a DP when he can no longer fill that role, or his contract is done and his DP slot frees up.

Detroit_TFC
02-15-2012, 09:14 AM
Former TFC Johann Smith speaks about his time in MLS

http://www.keithmincher.com/?p=258

edit:
I called him a pylon but that probably was not accurate. He was more of a boot and run player.

Oldtimer
02-15-2012, 09:27 AM
Let's face it, the team will look different in a few years.

Probably minus JDG, maybe minus Koevs and Frings, I think that the young players like Morgan will be featuring more and more. The team will have a mix of home-grown players, some good draft picks, a few decent free agent signings, with a couple of DPs added. I think that TFC will probably have 2 instead of 3 DPs, allocating the cap space more efficiently to have an all-round strong squad.

reggie
02-15-2012, 10:15 AM
the TFC training camp blackout continues.
this is by far is the worst coverage in 6 yrs.
i have not seen a clip of the team on the pitch training,but yet we can see mtl and van on the pitch on gol tv...wtf

Auzzy
02-15-2012, 10:17 AM
Former TFC Johann Smith speaks about his time in MLS

http://www.keithmincher.com/?p=258

edit:
I called him a pylon but that probably was not accurate. He was more of a boot and run player.

I remember him running very fast & doing lots of step-overs. Sometimes right over the touchline.

Whoop
02-15-2012, 10:19 AM
My guess is JDG ends up in France or Germany after this season is up.

Even if he has a great season and plays to expectations, I just don't see Winter and Mariner thinking that he is the best use of that DP slot, especially with Frings in the midfield.

Yeah I could see him on a southern France team or a team close to the Spanish border.

Detroit_TFC
02-15-2012, 10:34 AM
I remember him running very fast & doing lots of step-overs. Sometimes right over the touchline.

I remember everyone being excited to have him and then getting disappointed. But then that was true with a lot of players.

TOBOR !
02-15-2012, 10:44 AM
I remember everyone being excited to have him and then getting disappointed. But then that was true with a lot of players.

I remember that I forgot about him.

ManUtd4ever
02-15-2012, 11:03 AM
i have not seen a clip of the team on the pitch training,but yet we can see mtl and van on the pitch on gol tv...wtf

I think Winter prefers it that way. It sucks for the hardcore supporters though.

ArmenJBX
02-15-2012, 11:12 AM
http://www.rednationonline.ca/BedakianAMajorAnnouncement.aspx

Hello RedNation,

Take a deep breath – today, I’ll be hitting you with the biggest news of 2012.

On February 14, 2012, Toronto FC announced a competition that will shape the fabric of this team for decades to come; the Toronto FC Dream Job, a competition that is being held by Toronto Football Club, to find the next marketing and media personality at the club.

Naturally, I felt this role would be the perfect fit for someone such as myself.

Now, committing to such an incredibly monumental position is no small task. It requires years of dedication, honing ones naturally ability, and developing the incredible discipline to make it in such a difficult world.

After meditating under a waterfall (fine, the raindrops that fall off the sloped roof of the Eaton’s Centre exterior) I have made my decision.

If you’re still holding your breath, you may exhale. If you did not survive holding your breath, please know that you did not die in vain.

As of 12:04 p.m. of Wednesday, February 15, I will officially submit my name for consideration in the 2012 Toronto FC Dream Job Candidacy.

I’ll give you a moment to pick up whatever you were holding/sit back down in your chair. Apologies for the shocking news, but, as far as press releases go, this is a definite shocker.

The Toronto FC Dream Job has always been a dream of mine. I dreamed of this dream job and now the official Dream Job ™ has come. The dreaming of a dream Dream has now become a reality, much like Inception except without the looming music.

Now, you may be wondering, Armen, why should you be the winner? Well, dear reader, I’ll tell you why:

Because I want it.

Finally, after a decades-long personal struggle spanning the course of 24 hours, I have thrown my name into the ring.

Please, go on the official Toronto FC Facebook page and “Like” my application. The number of likes and comments directly impacts my chances for candidacy.

Also, if you are so inclined, the twitter hashtags #TeamArmen and #TFCDreamJob can be used simultaneously as a show of support.

I am deeply honoured to take part in this election. At the same time, I am deeply apologetic to the thousands of iPhone screens that cracked when you dropped them on the floor after reading my official candidacy announcement. I am sorry.

Thank you, and remember to vote!

Armen Bedakian,
#TeamArmen

Paid for by The Armen Bedakian Super PAC which is responsible for the content of this press release. Not authorized (but totally is authorized) by any candidate or candidate’s committee.

http://www.rednationonline.ca/Portals/0/article_photos/armen_pic1_Feb15_2012.jpg

Waggy
02-15-2012, 11:18 AM
Did JDG eventually move his wife and kid(s) from ESP to CDN? I don't think so. IMO that speaks volumes.

Dunno about that. Where would you rather live year round (esp the winter)?

I'd love to see JDG coming back at Dero-esq money. And I'm sure there's at least one potential DP JDP wouldn't mind giving up his money to... he's even hinted at it before. heh.

To me the question is this: If we offer JDG the max non DP salary (450?) over 3-4 years, would he be able to get a better offer in Spain? At this stage in his career.... I don't think so. It's not like he's been lighting MLS on fire since he came here, if anything his value has declined fairly rapidly. Now he could (and hopefully will) have an awesome season this year playing proper winterball, but I still don't know if that gets his value up over 6 or 700 per year. And if it comes down to a 100 or 200k difference, I'd like to think he'd show some loyalty to the hometown club. Especially since they'd clearly be using his paycut to improve the team around him. And if he IS playing well here, maybe a shorter term low contract would be appealing to him. Hell, it's possible he plays well enough to warrent another DP contract. We'll see in a fewmonths I guess

mowe
02-15-2012, 11:31 AM
Cool, thought you might enter. I hope you win, I'll be voting for you.

Yohan
02-15-2012, 11:40 AM
Dunno about that. Where would you rather live year round (esp the winter)?

I'd love to see JDG coming back at Dero-esq money. And I'm sure there's at least one potential DP JDP wouldn't mind giving up his money to... he's even hinted at it before. heh.

To me the question is this: If we offer JDG the max non DP salary (450?) over 3-4 years, would he be able to get a better offer in Spain? At this stage in his career.... I don't think so. It's not like he's been lighting MLS on fire since he came here, if anything his value has declined fairly rapidly. Now he could (and hopefully will) have an awesome season this year playing proper winterball, but I still don't know if that gets his value up over 6 or 700 per year. And if it comes down to a 100 or 200k difference, I'd like to think he'd show some loyalty to the hometown club. Especially since they'd clearly be using his paycut to improve the team around him. And if he IS playing well here, maybe a shorter term low contract would be appealing to him. Hell, it's possible he plays well enough to warrent another DP contract. We'll see in a fewmonths I guess
JDG's value in Europe is pretty low, partially due to him not having an EU passport, so making it harder for him to sign on to a lot of clubs due to non EU player restrictions.

I can see him going to low La Liga teams though.

Auzzy
02-15-2012, 11:54 AM

True, a bit frustrating... but I'm REALLY enjoying the total lack of drama. We're getting a decent number of interviews every few days. We're getting total transparency on signings, new trialists, draft picks & trialists that were let go, academy kids training with the first team, the full list of players heading to Orlando, etc. -- at least as soon as those things have been finalized & can be publicized. All that's much better than in previous years.

Not sure if seeing guys kick a ball around in practice will be that interesting. Anyway, in a couple of days the Disney tournament starts, and I've heard all those games will be streamed via the MLS website. There will also be one or two friendly games vs college teams before then -- let's see if we get some highlights of those posted.

All in all, I would much prefer the way this pre-season has been going, compared to previous years.

ArmenJBX
02-15-2012, 12:15 PM
https://apps.facebook.com/tfcdreamjob/contests/189938/voteable_entries/44480483

Here's the link to vote for me for the Toronto FC Dream Job!

It will only take a second but it means so much to me! :D
Thank you guys!

Armen Bedakian

__wowza
02-15-2012, 12:26 PM

Thank you guys!

Armen Bedakian

done and done.

ArmenJBX
02-15-2012, 12:37 PM
Thanks __wowza!

It takes only a few seconds to vote, but each vote counts! Please, help me make this dream a reality! :D

Yohan
02-15-2012, 02:04 PM
The Crew's new jersey sponsor... Barbasol shaving cream.

At least they have a sponsor

Oldtimer
02-15-2012, 02:11 PM

Goes well with the Krew. Skinheads need a lot of Barbasol. :D

Don't know if this guy shaved his skull, though:

http://trsportsonline.com/images/hool-hoodie2-LRG.JPG

Cas87
02-15-2012, 02:14 PM

:picard:

:noidea:

dantdot
02-15-2012, 02:15 PM
Pics here http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/02/15/crew-partner-barbasol-new-jersey-sponsor

Hahha, wow. that's awful

Whoop
02-15-2012, 02:18 PM
That's terrible.

You figure they could incorporate a barber pole or barber colours in the logo.

http://rodneyshaw.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/barbasol.jpg

Yohan
02-15-2012, 02:20 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/02/15/crew-partner-barbasol-new-jersey-sponsor

5 yr deal, which is good for the Crew and MLS, esp in recession economy (esp in Ohio)

ArmenJBX
02-15-2012, 02:23 PM
Yeah, I wanted to put #TeamArmen on the shirt but they went with Barbosol instead... :picard:

__wowza
02-15-2012, 02:34 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/02/15/crew-partner-barbasol-new-jersey-sponsor

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to MLS 1948!!
I'm making a two stick of Danny K when Columbus rolls into town that says: "IM A DAPPER DAN MAN"

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_XYiLrMURRG0/StTN26piomI/AAAAAAAAB1E/fTFvyac1jIQ/s200/dapper_dan.gif

Detroit_TFC
02-15-2012, 02:36 PM
Not near as bad as the local dairy company that was a rumored shirt sponsor. They would have had a cartoon cow on the shirts, no lie. That would have been comedy gold.

Redcoe15
02-15-2012, 02:37 PM
In honour of Columbus' new jersey sponsor, this appropriate song:

M32Qr5D9AUM

:D

Yohan
02-15-2012, 02:38 PM
Not near as bad as the local dairy company that was a rumored shirt sponsor. They would have had a cartoon cow on the shirts, no lie. That would have been comedy gold.
that would have been a real udder failure

DangerRed
02-15-2012, 02:39 PM
That Dapper Dan idea would be an amazing banner to fly at an away game in Columbus.

Yohan
02-15-2012, 02:47 PM
http://aol.sportingnews.com/soccer/story/2012-02-14/mlss-growing-ties-to-colombia-strengthen-international-bona-fides

article on growth of MLS in Colombia

Kaz
02-15-2012, 03:07 PM
Hey now I used Barbasol for the better part of my early adulthood, and really until I switched to Shaving Soap and a brush a few years ago.

some time we like the old stuff, new isn't always better it's just marketed to be cool...

Waggy
02-15-2012, 03:20 PM
Yeah, I wanted to put #TeamArmen on the shirt but they went with Barbosol instead... :picard:
Should've raised your offer. Free razors for the team! During the season only. Some restrictions apply. I'm sure it's more than Barbosol offered. Voted for ya, good luck

Auzzy
02-15-2012, 04:13 PM
Ha ha, I like the comment from Asif at the end of today's article on the TFC website: "Toronto’s Trillium Cup rival Columbus Crew announced Barbasol as a kit sponsor Wednesday, which is a shame because I hate to throw away a perfectly good can of shaving cream but they've left me no choice."

Yohan
02-15-2012, 04:20 PM
Ha ha, I like the comment from Asif at the end of today's article on the TFC website: "Toronto’s Trillium Cup rival Columbus Crew announced Barbasol as a kit sponsor Wednesday, which is a shame because I hate to throw away a perfectly good can of shaving cream but they've left me no choice."
I'm likely going to buy a can of barbasol shaving cream, just because they support the league. What is good for a team (even the Crew) is good for the league overall.

tfcleeds
02-15-2012, 04:25 PM

Yep, looks like I'll have to switch to a new brand now. Good thing my last can ran out a week ago.

jloome
02-15-2012, 04:40 PM

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to MLS 1948!!
I'm making a two stick of Danny K when Columbus rolls into town that says: "IM A DAPPER DAN MAN"

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_XYiLrMURRG0/StTN26piomI/AAAAAAAAB1E/fTFvyac1jIQ/s200/dapper_dan.gif

All Columbus has is Fop!

MartinUtd
02-15-2012, 04:55 PM
haha.. Johann Smith is sour because he was paid $40k and sat on the bench.

Mr. Bigby
02-15-2012, 06:07 PM

Thank you guys!

Armen Bedakian

Done. Vote early and vote often!

ArmenJBX
02-15-2012, 06:20 PM
^Thank you! :D

Ossington Mental Youth
02-15-2012, 06:36 PM
I think Winter prefers it that way. It sucks for the hardcore supporters though.

yeah im thinking this too.
kinda makes sense, the team will see alot of reporters during the season, alot of teams are underestimating/unaware of tfc has this season. Winter wants to keep it this way. Dont forget he cut down on the amount of MLS sides we are playing in preseason.

London
02-15-2012, 06:42 PM

did they bring back that cunt michele??????

arbogast
02-15-2012, 06:58 PM

there's a clip on the clubs youtube channel of Cann training and its like watching paint dry - and the shitecaps videos of them doing the beep tests are just as bad -not worth the trouble of posting them imo. Personally I don't care, if the cameras are seen as a distraction by coaches or players - so be it let the players concentrate on training without being recorded.

arbogast
02-15-2012, 07:00 PM
did they bring back that cunt michele??????

She wasn't the most like tfc staffer during her days but calling her a c*Nt is classless and unnecessary

Yohan
02-15-2012, 07:01 PM
JmWi4O2DiNM

Waggy
02-15-2012, 07:20 PM
JmWi4O2DiNM

Ain't nobody dope as them they're just so fresh so clean (so fresh and so clean!)

Dv23
02-15-2012, 08:29 PM
Aw man. I can't enter now that Armen has. I'd feel so bad winning, knowing that you want it so badly.

TOBOR !
02-15-2012, 08:47 PM

M32Qr5D9AUM

first thing that popped into my head. This song got a fiar bit of airplay on the AM dial back in the '70's.

Detroit_TFC
02-15-2012, 10:06 PM
^ if we don't sing this in Columbus, I'll be sad. :)

Roogsy
02-15-2012, 10:35 PM
I actually see JDG going back to Spain, provided his "blackballing" due to his complaints over unpaid wages is over. He can make more money over there than a non-DP deal here, plus his family is over there. He'll have his $6+ mil (less expenses and taxes), plus a few Voyageurs Cup medals, and maybe even a CCL medal to bring back with him. It will have been a good run for him over here. Not so great for the fans, who only will have seen probably a little over 1 year of good football from him, although it's not really 100% his fault (he was a terrible fit for Prekiball in year 1 of his contract, and then played much of last year injured).

From what I heard there is no blackballing issue in Spain. And I've met his wife here several times so I am not sure she is living there, although I didn't really ask either.

Redcoe15
02-16-2012, 02:22 AM

M32Qr5D9AUM

first thing that popped into my head. This song got a fiar bit of airplay on the AM dial back in the '70's.

^ if we don't sing this in Columbus, I'll be sad. :)
I just came up with the perfect verse to go along with the tune:

Columbus went up to Toronto
They sported a spiffy new kit
They thought they would leave with a victory
But the Reds made the Crew play like shhh...
SHAVING CREAM!
Be nice and clean,
Shave every day and you'll always look keen.

TFCREDNWHITE
02-16-2012, 06:13 AM
No, of course.

The TFC front office and JDG already got something up there sleeve that they will be trying to work out.

Basically, julian will take a huge cut in payroll in agreement that they give Jonathan a multimillion dollar/a year contract. Jonathan then siphons money back to Julian...and everyone is happy. ...

Oldtimer
02-16-2012, 08:15 AM
From what I heard there is no blackballing issue in Spain. And I've met his wife here several times so I am not sure she is living there, although I didn't really ask either.

Both have been reported in the media several times.