PDA

View Full Version : Question for those who want to see a Toronto player in the MLS starting XI

ilikemusic
07-10-2008, 01:51 PM
Who do you propose sits on the 22nd against Montreal so they are fresh enough to start two days later? I would assume any Toronto player worthy of an All Star selection would be a guaranteed starter on our team for any must win game, so who sits for the sake of the MLS All-Star game?

Even if nobody sits, does anybody really want someone like Guevara, Dichio, Velez or Rickett's starting two days after what will certainly be a very intense game? Thats asking for trouble.

For the sake of our team, no Toronto players should start the All-Star game. Its pretty cut and dry IMO.

Steve
07-10-2008, 01:54 PM
Who do you propose sits on the 22nd against Montreal so they are fresh enough to start two days later? I would assume any Toronto player worthy of an All Star selection would be a guaranteed starter on our team for any must win game, so who sits for the sake of the MLS All-Star game?

Even if nobody sits, does anybody really want someone like Guevara, Dichio, Velez or Rickett's starting two days after what will certainly be a very intense game? Thats asking for trouble.

For the sake of our team, no Toronto players should start the All-Star game. Its pretty cut and dry IMO.

Harmse. Canadian AND TFC. Win/Win!

noochie
07-10-2008, 01:55 PM
For me... it isn't about them playing, I could care less. It is more about recognition of accomplishment.

ilikemusic
07-10-2008, 01:56 PM
Harmse. Canadian AND TFC. Win/Win!

Harmse is an All-Star? :noidea:

If we can put a bench player into the ASG starting XI then im all for it.

MLS isnt putting Kevin Harmse out there as a representative of the talent in this league though.

ilikemusic
07-10-2008, 01:57 PM
For me... it isn't about them playing, I could care less. It is more about recognition of accomplishment.

What accomplishment though? Is there really a TFC player with accomlpishments warranting an All-Star selection?

TFC_Junky
07-10-2008, 02:01 PM

Thank you. This is what my, now locked rant posting, was all about...

Steve
07-10-2008, 02:11 PM
Harmse is an All-Star? :noidea:

If we can put a bench player into the ASG starting XI then im all for it.

MLS isnt putting Kevin Harmse out there as a representative of the talent in this league.

Hmm, sarcasm... do you speak it?

noochie
07-10-2008, 02:14 PM
What accomplishment though? Is there really a TFC player with accomlpishments warranting an All-Star selection?

Yes. And clearly I am not alone... 6 of the top 15 were TFC players.

ilikemusic
07-10-2008, 02:15 PM
Hmm, sarcasm... do you speak it?

Theres too many nuts on this board for me to accurately perceive sarcasm. Im sure some here do genuinely feel that any TFC player, deserved or not, should be in the starting XI.

ilikemusic
07-10-2008, 02:16 PM
Yes. And clearly I am not alone... 6 of the top 15 were TFC players.

6 of the top 15 what? Online vote getters? Are you surprised by this? Toronto has the biggest internet following of all the MLS teams and DC fans werent able to cheat all their players into the top of the list. Online votes mean nothing.

Nevermind that, lets take the voting at face value.

Which of those 6 players rests on the 22nd in order to start on the 24th? Do you think its wise to have any of our key players start and play siggnifficant minutes in 2 games over the span of a mere 3 days?

Steve
07-10-2008, 02:18 PM
Theres too many nuts on this board for me to accurately perceive sarcasm. Im sure some here do genuinely feel that any TFC player, deserved or not, should be in the starting XI.

True, Poe's law (slightly modified) strikes again.

noochie
07-10-2008, 02:19 PM
6 of the top 15 what? Online vote getters? Are you surprised by this? Toronto has the biggest internet following of all the MLS teams and DC fans werent able to cheat all their players into the top of the list. Online votes mean nothing.

It means something my friend... it means people thought they should be selected.

noochie
07-10-2008, 02:20 PM
Which of those 6 players rests on the 22nd in order to start on the 24th? Do you think its wise to have any of our key players start and play siggnifficant minutes in 2 games over the span of a mere 3 days?

You have a short memory... I never said I cared if they played or not... I said it is an acknowledement by the fans, media, and MLS staff that there are players in Toronto that are top class in this league.

ilikemusic
07-10-2008, 02:21 PM
It means something my friend... it means people thought they should be selected.

I think it means that people felt it was their duty to vote for TFC players no matter what.

I could go dig up the 'Lets get voting' threads but im too lazy.

noochie
07-10-2008, 02:24 PM
I think it means that people felt it was their duty to vote for TFC players no matter what.

I could go dig up the 'Lets get voting' threads but im too lazy.

Funny... I didn't see Cunningham's name on the list anywhere. You aren't giving much credit to the intelligence of the voters in this city, supporting the same club that you do.

ilikemusic
07-10-2008, 02:25 PM
You have a short memory... I never said I cared if they played or not... I said it is an acknowledement by the fans, media, and MLS staff that there are players in Toronto that are top class in this league.

Who on Toronto can you say honestly deserves the acknowledgement?

There are no players on our roster who are more deserving than the players who were selected. If a TFC player were selected it would be for no reason but lip-service to the Toronto fans. Is it the 'All-Star Game', or is it the 'We love Toronto' game?

noochie
07-10-2008, 02:27 PM
Who on Toronto can you say honestly deserves the acknowledgement?

There are no players on our roster who are more deserving than the players who were selected. If a TFC player were selected it would be for no reason but lip-service to the Toronto fans. Is it the 'All-Star Game', or is it the 'We love Toronto' game?

I am not going to answer your question. Everyone clearly sees where you stand so any answer I give will end in your attacking that players probability of starting on the team.

Why start a thread knowing that people are going to give their own opinion and then question every single response that differs from your opinion?

ilikemusic
07-10-2008, 02:28 PM
Funny... I didn't see Cunningham's name on the list anywhere. You aren't giving much credit to the intelligence of the voters in this city, supporting the same club that you do.

Well youre telling me that im talking down to my fellow supporters so I suppose ive now lost the argument. :noidea:

Edu is TFC's top midfielder on the voting list. Please tell me what he has done to deserve it.

noochie
07-10-2008, 02:30 PM
Well youre telling me that im talking down to my fellow supporters so I suppose ive now lost the argument. :noidea:

Edu is TFC's top midfielder on the voting list. Please tell me what he has done to deserve it.

The top midfielder on the list was Guevara.

ilikemusic
07-10-2008, 02:33 PM
I am not going to answer your question. Everyone clearly sees where you stand so any answer I give will end in your attacking that players probability of starting on the team.

Why start a thread knowing that people are going to give their own opinion and then question every single response that differs from your opinion?

People were upset there were no Toronto players in the starting XI. I was just asking why because 1) it can only take away from much needed player rest during this fixture congestion and 2) none of them deserve to be there anyways.

I wouldnt attack every players probablity. I think Guevara or Ricketts or Dichio would have been great to see and wouldnt be out of their depth. However TFC scheduled a crucial game two days previous which IMO, took all Toronto players out of the ASG equation regardless.

I wanted to know those who were upset with this, if they could rationalize their opinion. Thats all.

ilikemusic
07-10-2008, 02:34 PM
The top midfielder on the list was Guevara.

I was using this list, which isnt pure fan ballots I think,

GOALKEEPERS
Fans
Players
Media
Coach/GMs
Combined
Matt Reis 11.8 57.862.277.352.3Jon Busch 10.6 8.215.611.411.4
DEFENDERS
Fans
Players
Media
Coach/GMs
Combined
Michael Parkhurst 9.231.047.847.733.9Frankie Hejduk17.336.231.131.829.1Jimmy Conrad10.828.426.738.626.2Gonzalo Segares6.8 10.827.820.416.4Bakary Soumare5.6 9.525.611.413.0
MIDFIELDERS
Fans
Players
Media
Coach/GMs
Combined
David Beckham38.949.682.279.662.6Cuauhtémoc Blanco 25.940.174.454.648.8Shalrie Joseph7.740.548.965.940.8Sacha Kljestan9.146.124.456.834.1Robbie Rogers13.038.424.445.430.3Dwayne De Rosario17.3 37.123.338.629.1Steve Ralston6.014.223.325.017.1G. Barros Schelotto 14.616.025.69.116.3Maurice Edu 14.112.516.718.215.4
FORWARDS
Fans
Players
Media
Coach/GMs
Combined
Landon Donovan29.366.882.293.267.9Kenny Cooper7.430.633.340.928.1Luciano Emilio5.7 12.538.915.918.3Brian Ching6.4 12.57.825.012.9

noochie
07-10-2008, 02:35 PM
I agree with you for sure on point 1. I am obviously much more concerned with the CCL qualifying over some meaningless all-star game. I just don't agree with you on #2 I do think we have a couple players that are worthy to be selected.

noochie
07-10-2008, 02:36 PM
Here you go:

1. David Beckham 4.79%
2. Landon Donovan 3.61%
3. Cuauhtemoc Blanco 3.19%
4. Frankie Hejduk 2.13%
5. Dwayne De Rosario 2.13%
6. Amado Guevara 2.01%
7. Greg Sutton 1.99%
8. Guillermo Barros Schelotto 1.80%
9. Maurice Edu 1.73%
10. Robbie Rogers 1.61%

arsenal
07-10-2008, 02:44 PM
Here you go:

1. David Beckham 4.79%
2. Landon Donovan 3.61%
3. Cuauhtemoc Blanco 3.19%
4. Frankie Hejduk 2.13%
5. Dwayne De Rosario 2.13%
6. Amado Guevara 2.01%
7. Greg Sutton 1.99%
8. Guillermo Barros Schelotto 1.80%
9. Maurice Edu 1.73%
10. Robbie Rogers 1.61%

That is the "fan" vote and only counts for 25%. :)

ilikemusic
07-10-2008, 02:45 PM
If we werent playing Montreal on the 22nd then yes, I would be livid that Guevara were left off; but it isnt as if his exclusion can be considered a snub. He has played great, but everyone else in that midfield has performed just as well, if not better.

I would bet MLS wanted a Toronto player in the starting XI to keep the fans from doing something like cheering for West Ham, but knew that Mo and JC would have none of it. Im sure they intend to play any of our All-Star calibre players the full 90 in that huge game against Montreal.

Im mostly intrigured by mlsintoronto's comment in the other thread that he was adamant about getting a Toronto player in the starting XI, and thats what sparked this thread. Is he more concerned with the ASG than the Canadian Championship? Because in my view a Toronto starter in the ASG means that person is sitting or coming off early on the 22nd, and we need all our best players on the pitch for the full 90 that game.

noochie
07-10-2008, 02:48 PM
That is the "fan" vote and only counts for 25%. :)

Read the whole thread... we were talking about fan voting. I know it only counts for 25%. But clearly we thought Guevara was more worthy than Edu.

On the other hand... the players, media and staff didn't agree with us about Guevara... but they did agree with Edu being more worthy as he rated higher overall.

Keep in mind also that the USMNT has a decent following so unlike Guevara whose votes likely all came from TFC supporters, Edu gets a lot of support south of the border.

noochie
07-10-2008, 02:54 PM
Im mostly intrigured by mlsintoronto's comment in the other thread that he was adamant about getting a Toronto player in the starting XI, and thats what sparked this thread. Is he more concerned with the ASG than the Canadian Championship? Because in my view a Toronto starter in the ASG means that person is sitting or coming off early on the 22nd, and we need all our best players on the pitch for the full 90 that game.

Just a question on this one. I won't speak for Paul but I can see where he is coming from... not having someone selected is balls because there are players worthy and we have the best fans in MLS and this is our house (to borrow a worn down chant). I would pissed too if I was in the FO.

On the other hand, your point is kind of moot because we don't have anyone there AND the CCL game is before the all star game, I am sure that Carver wouldn't have given a shit about resting players when there is a task at hand ;)

I am just speculating of course...