PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Monday,Feb.06

denime
02-06-2012, 06:39 AM
Mornin`

TFC TV (http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp)

TFC a tough sell in 2012 (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2012/02/05/fletcher_blog/)

TFC related blogs ! (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=29582)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshine-girl)

_

DOMIN8R
02-06-2012, 07:43 AM
Imagine my surprise then when I opened the sports section of the Toronto Star on Saturday morning to see a full page ad featuring the glorious visage of Richard Eckersley, advertising not a special one-off game, but actual season tickets for the 2012 season, going on sale Feb. 7.

The question of how TFC got here has a very obvious answer in the institutional arrogance described above combined with season after season of losing.

That. Is. All.

TorCanSoc
02-06-2012, 08:11 AM
2011 CCL
2012 Canadian Championships (w/ Van Mtl Edm)
2012 TFC

2014 CMNT WCQ
EURO 2012 (June 8th to July 1st)
London Olympics (July 27 to Aug 12)

Viewing wise... if TFC has a losing season, I see attendance just dropping off the map. Again, aside from about 10,000 of us that will come game in and game out.

Oldtimer
02-06-2012, 08:28 AM
Interesting article on MLS' market presence (a few day's old, but not yet posted):

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/02/01/climbing-ladder-measuring-mls-market-presence

34% of Canadians now have an MLS Club in their viewing region.

scooter
02-06-2012, 09:04 AM
mornin d

__wowza
02-06-2012, 09:37 AM
http://i.imm.io/fZYu.jpeg

anyone else think this when they saw that picture of frei?

London
02-06-2012, 09:38 AM
^^^ think what???

Frei is getting ready to be traded to the hipster capital??

__wowza
02-06-2012, 09:44 AM
^^^ think what???

Frei is getting ready to be traded to the hipster capital??

parkdales house?
nooooo. i was just referencing the fact that he looked like a hipster. at least until i get a coffee in me and have something meaningful to comment on when it comes to the fletcher article.

Roogsy
02-06-2012, 10:02 AM
Wakingthered's point is very good. That Dallas win was a life-saver. We should be thankful Dallas decided it was going to crash and burn the 2nd half of the year because instead of hopefullness, we'd be looking at a team in shambles.

My what a fine line that is with this team.

Oldtimer
02-06-2012, 10:05 AM
I think that the Dallas win was actually a virtuoso performance by TFC and not Dallas tanking. In fact it was a very hard-fought win.

[NBF]
02-06-2012, 10:05 AM
TFC a Hard Sell for 2012: Obviously, its a hard sell when you have a team that sucks, but if TFC is banking on the 2012 MLS season to turn it around, it wants to kick off with the game in the rogers centre as the first step.

Did someone mention in the forums that Aceval and Caecedo were not going to be in the lineup for the CCL? Im not worried about the MLS 2012 season, IMO it will be a vast improvement from any other season in TFC's history, I'm just asking, are they available for TFC's biggest game in their history?

Roogsy
02-06-2012, 10:06 AM
^ Roogsy, I don't see that point in this thread. Did you intend to post it in the blogs thread?

This is the article's thread is it not? It wasn't a response to his blog, it was a response to his article in Sportsnet posted above (therefore belonging in here). As silly as this whole "splitting hairs" thing is... :rolleyes:

__wowza
02-06-2012, 10:07 AM
I think that the Dallas win was actually a virtuoso performance by TFC and not Dallas tanking. In fact it was a very hard-fought win.

i think he was referring to where the article was taken from (it was nicked from walkingthered).

Oldtimer
02-06-2012, 10:07 AM
Sorry, Roogsy, I had already updated my post.

Roogsy
02-06-2012, 10:31 AM

Oh TFC played well. I don't want to take anything from how composed and clinical they were in taking care of their side. I just wish people were more objective in their analysis. All Dallas needed was a draw. They were at home. They have been one of the best teams in the league the past couple of seasons. Do we honestly think if they were playing at their potential, that they would have let TFC walk out of Pizza Hut park with a win? In my opinion, that only happens because Dallas fell apart (not just in that game but pretty much the entire 2nd half of the season) and Toronto properly took advantage of that. With the form Toronto had, a draw (and subsequent elimination from the competition) was the most likely and expected result. We beat the odds, but in my opinion, it was with a whole lot of help from Dallas.

Whoop
02-06-2012, 10:43 AM
From Molinaro.

JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/#%21/JohnMolinaro) John Molinaro

Keven Aleman (ex-#TFC (https://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23TFC)) has received a visa & is back in Spain to begin his career at Real Valladolid (2nd div), his agent tells sportsnet.caHope this good news for Canadian soccer.

Darlofletch
02-06-2012, 10:47 AM
Wakingthered's point is very good. That Dallas win was a life-saver. We should be thankful Dallas decided it was going to crash and burn the 2nd half of the year because instead of hopefullness, we'd be looking at a team in shambles.

My what a fine line that is with this team.

Yes and no, I think the team we're looking at would be the same, I was already impressed with the second half of the season, and the work winter and co had done, and looking forward to 2012, so I don't think the team would be in shambles if we'd lost. Maybe because before it had even started I was treating 2011 as preseason 2012.

Where it was huge was in giving an actual tangible acheivement to point to for the more casual or impatient fans. Also having the quarter final to start the season is huge, pretty much all the off season hype was about that game. even then, they've burned through the waiting list (or exposed it for the sham many of us suspected), without it, yikes.

Roogsy
02-06-2012, 10:58 AM
Yes and no, I think the team we're looking at would be the same, I was already impressed with the second half of the season, and the work winter and co had done, and looking forward to 2012, so I don't think the team would be in shambles if we'd lost. Maybe because before it had even started I was treating 2011 as preseason 2012.

Where it was huge was in giving an actual tangible acheivement to point to for the more casual or impatient fans. Also having the quarter final to start the season is huge, pretty much all the off season hype was about that game. even then, they've burned through the waiting list (or exposed it for the sham many of us suspected), without it, yikes.

I meant shambles from a marketing point of view. I don't think we'd be seeing a different team built than the one we have at this point. Mariner and Winter were likely heading in this path. They do seem to have a vision.

What would be different however is the overall excitement for the club and quite possibly the pressure on Winter, both from the fans and from management. From my point of view, the downside of that Dallas win is that it relieved pressure from Winter where I prefer it would have remained on him. That's the only way we are going to get results out of this club.

I mean look at the very limited success we've had and he's already backed off "playoffs" for this season being a possibility. That is far too much comfort for my liking. It shouldn't be a bonus, it should be a critical goal for this season and it cannot be acceptable to miss it.

Darlofletch
02-06-2012, 11:11 AM
I meant shambles from a marketing point of view. I don't think we'd be seeing a different team built than the one we have at this point. Mariner and Winter were likely heading in this path. They do seem to have a vision.

What would be different however is the overall excitement for the club and quite possibly the pressure on Winter, both from the fans and from management. From my point of view, the downside of that Dallas win is that it relieved pressure from Winter where I prefer it would have remained on him. That's the only way we are going to get results out of this club.

I mean look at the very limited success we've had and he's already backed off "playoffs" for this season being a possibility. That is far too much comfort for my liking. It shouldn't be a bonus, it should be a critical goal for this season and it cannot be acceptable to miss it.

fully agree on that one, and not just in a 'public perception of success' kind of way. i was prepared to give them a free pass for last year if it looked like progress was being made, but not at least qualifying for the playoffs this year would be a huge failure.

Oldtimer
02-06-2012, 11:23 AM
fully agree on that one, and not just in a 'public perception of success' kind of way. i was prepared to give them a free pass for last year if it looked like progress was being made, but not at least qualifying for the playoffs this year would be a huge failure.

Playoffs is a minimum. Period.

It may be a bit unfair, but everyone's patience is gone after years of Mo. Mine included.

I'm holding them to the Jason Kreis standard:

Year 1 - rebuilding
Year 2 - playoffs
Year 3 - contender (and in Kreis' case, he actually won the MLS Cup).

No "Five Year plan."

brad
02-06-2012, 11:32 AM

I get where you are coming from here, but you could also make a counterpoint that the Dallas win has actually increased the pressure - at least from the MLSE & TFC brass.

The demand of tickets is down, and a we big game against a very strong opponent in front of a massive crowd to start the season.

Play well, get a result in that could go a long way to re-invigorating (at least temporarily) the interest in TFC. That could potentially sell off some of those season tickets that are being advertised as available to the general public today.

Lay down and die in that game and the general apathy towards our team that a lot of folks feel these days will continue.

To me - that seems like a pressure cooker to get it right in the off season and be ready on day one.

I mean look at the very limited success we've had and he's already backed off "playoffs" for this season being a possibility. That is far too much comfort for my liking. It shouldn't be a bonus, it should be a critical goal for this season and it cannot be acceptable to miss it.This bit worried me, especially considering he said at the start of last year playoffs were a goal last season. To go from "we will make the playoff in 2011" to "we might not make them in 2012" really calls into question what is happening IMHO.

gomesv
02-06-2012, 11:45 AM
I fully expect to see a better season from this team.....I think they will compete and do well......my fear is that the masters that be will confuse renewed enthusiasm with the fans, and think that they can take advantage again.....in my opinion if they make the same mistake again, ie increasing ticket prices, ignoring SSH, they will not get another chance

KGH
02-06-2012, 11:49 AM
Playoffs is a minimum. Period.

It may be a bit unfair, but everyone's patience is gone after years of Mo. Mine included.

I'm holding them to the Jason Kreis standard:

Year 1 - rebuilding
Year 2 - playoffs
Year 3 - contender (and in Kreis' case, he actually won the MLS Cup).

No "Five Year plan."

In the last 5 years only 3 teams have not made the playoffs...and 2 of them were expansion teams last year.

:facepalm:

Canary10
02-06-2012, 12:36 PM
I get that Dallas was having a poor second half of the season. But, they were on a good run of form coming into that game. And they were experiencing the same fatigue Toronto was, having had to play so many more games than almost every other team in the MLS. That game was a well deserved win by a team better prepared and is a sign of what is to come this year I think.

Canary10
02-06-2012, 12:39 PM
I also agree there's more pressure on TFC now, not less. Winter's downplaying the playoffs (in one interview, which wasn't even a direct quote by the way), if anything is an exercise in managing expectations which I think are running ahead of the team at this point. There is way more pressure for Toronto to win the LA home match than any other game TFC has played in my opinion.

ensco
02-06-2012, 12:48 PM
I get that Dallas was having a poor second half of the season. But, they were on a good run of form coming into that game.

uh, Tauro put 5 past them the week before. At home.

It was an epic collapse by Dallas, no matter how you slice it.

Canary10
02-06-2012, 12:50 PM
They had won their last two MLS games going into it.

I've heard everything when people start giving excuses why we WON!

djking2
02-06-2012, 12:59 PM
;1440241']TFC a Hard Sell for 2012: Obviously, its a hard sell when you have a team that sucks

to be honest the facts stated in the article really don't support the statement in the headline. That they're actually advertising for once doesn't really make it a hard sell. My bet is those seasons seats will sell and and we'll see the largest crowd ever for a TFC game at Skydome and even the fact management chose to use a bunch of those seats as a marketing tool doesn't mean tough sell either.

ensco
02-06-2012, 01:07 PM

God I'm tired of this pious BS that comes out within minutes whenever someone dares to question the amen chorus about how great things are. Spare me the lecture.

There was a ton of reasonable discussion at the time about how fortunate TFC was to get through. Some people thought more, some less, I think most everyone (myself included) acknowledged that TFC themselves had taken advantage of their good luck. but no one acted like it was a ridiculous topic to discuss.

Canary10
02-06-2012, 01:17 PM
^ You're the one that jumped on my comment. Why can't fans of the team just say we had a very good game and move on? I'm tired of the constant glass half empty BS that constlantly comes from some around here.

Chevy
02-06-2012, 01:21 PM

I hear you brother. The Debbie Downer Club is not going to disband anytime soon though. :(

rocker
02-06-2012, 01:22 PM
^ You're the one that jumped on my comment. Why can't fans of the team just say we had a very good game and move on? I'm tired of the constant glass half empty BS that constlantly comes from some around here.

I agree with you. there's a strain of thinking on this board that constantly qualifies any piece of success TFC has. Dallas was a damn good team last year.

brad
02-06-2012, 01:27 PM
I agree with you. there's a strain of thinking on this board that constantly qualifies any piece of success TFC has. Dallas was a damn good team last year.

I also thought we played very well in that match. We controlled the game, and even bad players like Iro had a great game.

I do think we played well above ourselves that game though, but that happens at times, and not just with TFC.

Roogsy
02-06-2012, 01:30 PM

Because that is the exact definition of "rose coloured glasses" if you don't put it in the context of the other team.

What is the context?

In the months of September and October, Dallas had 2wins, 8 losses and 1 draw. Their net goals +/- was -11. 6 of those games were at home. If those aren't numbers of a team choking down the stretch, I don't know what is (and don't forget they were promptly dumped out of the playoffs in the first round.). This is the team we beat. They were in the middle of a slump. For us not to recognize it, and account for it in our analysis of the win, is to intentionally hide our heads in the sand.

Does anything there say TFC didn't play well? No. But analysis shouldn't just be done on one side of the equation.

This whole "debbie downer" thing is such a joke. It's like nobody remembers or cares that we wound up in 3rd last place in the standings last season and finished the season by officially becoming the worst goal differential team in league history.

Oldtimer
02-06-2012, 01:34 PM
It's funny how everyone tends to see things from their preconceived notions.

Here's the original match report:

FRISCO, Texas – Danny Koevermans opened the scoring and Joao Plata added a second-half brace as Toronto FC stunned FC Dallas 3-0 on Tuesday night at Pizza Hut Park to earn a spot in the CONCACAF Champions League quarterfinals.
Both Dallas and Toronto needed a victory to move beyond the group stages of the tournament, but Dallas, also gearing up for the MLS Cup playoffs, started the match slow and out of sorts. Toronto, however, looked sharp and ready from the opening whistle and their first goal came after several minutes of consistent pressure in the Dallas 18-yard box.
In the 28th minute Plata, whose darting runs were dangerous all night, found Koevermans in the box and the burly Dutch forward was able to knock the ball home after mis-hitting first attempt.
Despite the break at half, Dallas came back out the same way they started, unable to connect through midfield and lacking creativity up top. Toronto once again capitalized on FCD’s languid play. In the 69th minute, an unmarked Plata scored his first of the night, taking a feed from Ryan Johnson near the spot and neatly slotting it into the back of the net.
Nine minutes from time, the diminutive Ecuadorean once again get the better of the Dallas defense, cutting inside Jackson and curling a shot to the back post and beyond the outstretched arms of Kevin Hartman. The brace upped Plata’s haul of CCL goals to four.
http://www.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2011-10-18-fc-dallas-vs-toronto-fc/recap

(1) TFC played very well
(2) Dallas played "languid" and had troubles connecting through the midfield.

BTW, I was at Shoeless when TFC beat Dallas away. Everyone was cheering, I didn't hear one voice say "but wait, is this really a good victory? Maybe Dallas played poorly!"

Roogsy
02-06-2012, 01:36 PM
It's funny how everyone tends to see things from their preconceived notions.

Here's the original match report:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2011-10-18-fc-dallas-vs-toronto-fc/recap

(1) TFC played very well
(2) Dallas played "languid" and had troubles connecting through the midfield.

From where I sit, there are two positions on this board. One analyzes both teams and the other only looks at one. You tell me which is the more reasonable form of analysis?

Canary10
02-06-2012, 01:38 PM
What's the point of rehashing all that right now?

Many people said leading up to that game that Break Shea is going to kill us, George John is a wall, we've never won in Dallas, blah, blah, blah. Now that we won it's Dallas was in a slump. Fine, I acknowledged that in my earlier comments but it doesn't take away from a solid win and one of the best games we've played. That's not rose coloured glasses, it's the truth.

Roogsy
02-06-2012, 01:41 PM

Many people said leading up to that game that Break Shea is going to kill us, George John is a wall, we've never won in Dallas, blah, blah, blah. Now that we won it's Dallas was in a slump. Fine, I acknowledged that in my earlier comments but it doesn't take away from a solid win and one of the best games we've played. That's not rose coloured glasses, it's the truth.

There was a point raised in the sportsnets article that I highlighted. Forgive me for pointing something out in the news article (in the news thread!) that I agreed with. You guys can go back to regularly scheduled cheerleading. I did enough of this back and forth at the end of the season.

Pigfynn
02-06-2012, 01:41 PM

Cause that's all he ever fucking does....ever.

Don't waste your time and energy, not worth it.

Roogsy
02-06-2012, 01:43 PM
Cause that's all he ever fucking does....ever.

Don't waste your time and energy, not worth it.

And all you ever fucking do is troll my posts. It seems you don't take your own advice of not wasting your time and energy. The hypocrisy is delicious.

Oldtimer
02-06-2012, 01:43 PM
Here's the original post-game thread. I suggest re-reading it:

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=29864

Canary10
02-06-2012, 01:46 PM
I can't wait till the 2012 season prediction thread starts!

Roogsy
02-06-2012, 01:48 PM
Here's the original post-game thread. I suggest re-reading it:

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=29864

That's disingenuous OT. Because the posters that thought we had beat a struggling team didn't jump in and raise the issue while others were celebrating is proof of what exactly? What you conveniently don't point out is that when it happened before, the posters were criticized so this time there was some consideration given to the celebration. However, if you do a search of a real discussion in the following weeks you will see that these points did indeed come out. And are they not true? Did Dallas not lose 8 of their last 11 games of the season?

ensco
02-06-2012, 01:48 PM
Hurl all the insults you want, Roogsy is totally right on the facts, guys, even if you don't like it. Dallas was not playing well. They were one of the worst teams in MLS in the second half (the worst?) and all they needed in CCL was 2 points from inferior opponents in home games, and got smoked for 8 goals allowed.

That doesn't make anyone "right" or "wrong" about what beating Dallas meant or means. But it's a defensible position to argue that it may not say that much about how good we are in 2012. It's childish to retreat to "Debbie Downer" taunts.

Roogsy
02-06-2012, 01:49 PM
I can't wait till the 2012 season prediction thread starts!

Neither can I. I have been fairly accurate in my predictions since TFC started including one year where my prediction was 100% correct in their final standings and record. I will put up my prediction record against anyone here.

Oldtimer
02-06-2012, 01:49 PM
Roogsy, I'll just say that you did mention both sides in that post-match thread:

Biggest game of the year and they got the job done. Impressive. That was quite the dressing down of Dallas in their own house.

I'm not sure what to make of Dallas. They appear to be falling apart. I was not impressed with any aspect of the team we faced save for Shea who was the only one showing intensity and creativity. And their D looked like they should have been wearing Toronto red. Awful, awful, awful. Never thought I'd say this but they could have learned from our defensive line.

1. TFC played very well
2. Dallas had problems

Roogsy
02-06-2012, 01:51 PM
Roogsy, I'll just say that you did mention both sides in that post-match thread:

1. TFC played very well
2. Dallas had problems

And my position hasn't changed. Especially since my suspicion that they looked to be falling apart was confirmed in the following weeks by their complete implosion.

Canary10
02-06-2012, 01:51 PM
I actually agreed with the content of your main point, which was, if I can paraphrase, that TFC has been on a fine line and if we ended up on the other side of that Dallas game we'd be in a whole different situation right now.

I am actually very much looking forward to predictions. It's going to be very interesting.

Oldtimer
02-06-2012, 01:55 PM
Anyway, what really matters is how TFC does in the league next season.

I wouldn't give high odds on TFC beating LA in the CCL, but they do have a decent chance of post-season play.

Roogsy
02-06-2012, 01:56 PM
Interestingly that as a "debbie downer" my prediction is a playoff spot for Toronto. Just barely, but in.

No higher than 8th though.

Canary10
02-06-2012, 01:57 PM
What about point total?

Pigfynn
02-06-2012, 01:59 PM
And all you ever fucking do is troll my posts. It seems you don't take your own advice of not wasting your time and energy. The hypocrisy is delicious.

Wait a minute! I thought I was blocked!

This took very little energy actually.

:rolleyes:

Oldtimer
02-06-2012, 01:59 PM
Interestingly that as a "debbie downer" my prediction is a playoff spot for Toronto. Just barely, but in.

No higher than 8th though.

Funny, that's about right where I would place the team next season.

Roogsy
02-06-2012, 02:13 PM
What about point total?

I haven't run an analysis on a Mendoza Line yet but since the total games played will remain the same, the 1.20 ppg ratio is probably still good to use as a bare minimum. Still, we must remember that last season 10th spot required 1.35 ppg.

Therefore, based on total games to be played, a team needs between 41 and 45 points to secure 10th spot depending on how competitive the standings are this season. Let's average that out to 43. So 8th to 10th spot will require 43 to 48 points.

Can Toronto improve from 33 to 48 points? Yes they improved last season near the end but still only finished with a 1.15 ppg average WITH the new DPs. 48 points is reachable but it's an outside chance. I would say a 12 point improvement is reasonable given their improved roster but still accounting for the improvements of all rosters across the league. 45 points is my prediction. Where that sits on the table could be anywhere from 8th to 10th so I will just average it out to a 9th place finish.

Roogsy
02-06-2012, 02:16 PM
Wait a minute! I thought I was blocked!

This took very little energy actually.

:rolleyes:

For a guy that complains about trolls, you behave in an awfully trollish manner. But who am I to deprive you of your childish behaviour? Carry on!

Phil
02-06-2012, 02:18 PM
Biggest issue we have is the unknown. The guys we have brought in largely have '0' MLS experience and could be a sucess or a let down.

A few injuries up front and we are thinned out quite a bit, we have no natural replacement for the target man in Danny K.

Goals (with this roster) may be hard to come by for 2012.

I am still optimistic though :D

Oldtimer
02-06-2012, 02:20 PM
I agree overall with your points total, Roogsy, my guess is around 8th.

The one thing that's a bit different from last year, though, is that East and West are totally separate, with no crossovers, so you have to be in the top 5 in the East to get in. Looking at how the East is weaker and has weakened still more overall in the post-season, I would say that TFC's chances are a little better than they would have been under last year's playoff system.

mastermixer
02-06-2012, 02:20 PM
Most people on this board witnessed the first 5 years of TFC so it's totally understandable to hesitate being too positive until we see some more results. We played marginally better the second half of last year and we played a good game against Dallas, some people may need more convincing than others that TFC is the real deal.

Roogsy
02-06-2012, 02:47 PM
I agree overall with your points total, Roogsy, my guess is around 8th.

The one thing that's a bit different from last year, though, is that East and West are totally separate, with no crossovers, so you have to be in the top 5 in the East to get in. Looking at how the East is weaker and has weakened still more overall in the post-season, I would say that TFC's chances are a little better than they would have been under last year's playoff system.

This is a good point but only to a certain degree. With NER being the whipping boy in our conference, it should give us a couple of easy wins. SHOULD being the operative word. However, they will be easy wins for everyone else too. And everyone else seems to be stepping up. NY will not be messing around. DC looks to have 2 maybe 3 DPs. Houston is always a contender. Philly is a bit of a headscratcher with their recent moves but were very strong in 2011. Chicago was on fire to end the 2011 season, moreso than we were. Columbus is no rollover. KC is strong. The only teams I can confidently say we will definitely be ahead of is Montreal and NER. Other than that, while our division is weaker than the west, it's no cakewalk.

Oldtimer
02-06-2012, 02:53 PM
I expect be ahead of us:

NY, Chicago

Maybe:

DC (I think it will take another year to fully build their team around DeRo's abilities), Philly, Columbus

I expect TFC to beat:

Houston, KC, Montreal, Revs

Roogsy
02-06-2012, 02:55 PM
I expect be ahead of us:

NY, Chicago

Maybe:

DC (I think it will take another year to fully build their team around DeRo's abilities), Philly, Columbus

I expect TFC to beat:

It would be nice. BUt that's just the thing. Are we reasonably going to finish ahead of MLS Cup finalists? MLS Cup semi-finalists? That's where I begin to struggle with the concept of finishing higher than 8th.

Oldtimer
02-06-2012, 03:00 PM
The thing is, a large percentage of the league's players turn over each year. So its kind of hard to predict based on last year's results. Plus all the boosts in things like the allocation you get for sucking tends towards parity.

But like you, I don't expect TFC to be a top team this year, but just to make the playoffs.

ag futbol
02-06-2012, 03:01 PM
I expect be ahead of us:

NY, Chicago

Maybe:

I expect TFC to beat:

hmmm interesting...

From my POV I thought NY and KC would be ahead of us. I think sporting still has a strong team despite some key losses.

I'd put Chicago, Phily, and Houston in the second group. I have a hard time ever counting out a Kinear managed team and I think Chicago is much improved judging by the run at the end of last season.

I think there are lots of question marks but 3-5th place in the east looks very attainable IMO.

Oldtimer
02-06-2012, 03:09 PM
hmmm interesting...

From my POV I thought NY and KC would be ahead of us. I think sporting still has a strong team despite some key losses.

I'd put Chicago, Phily, and Houston in the second group. I have a hard time ever counting out a Kinear managed team and I think Chicago is much improved judging by the run at the end of last season.

I think there are lots of question marks but 3-5th place in the east looks very attainable IMO.

The big thing with KC is that so many of their players will be away for large parts of the year on international duty, that it will impact their season significantly.

They will be missing Zusi, Bunbury, Kamara, and Espinoza for quite a bit of the season. Bunbury in fact might end up playing only 10 games for his club.

Whoop
02-06-2012, 03:33 PM
IF

TFC makes it to the semi-final of the CCL, the matches will be at BMO.

http://blogs.canoe.ca/reds/

Also touches on CONCACAF roster rules.

Canary10
02-06-2012, 03:34 PM
I have them in the same range. I think 48 is a reasonable total to expect, 15 point difference from last year. Based on last year's results, that should have us challenging for the east, at least in a good chunk of the season. But given the west's strength we'll be somwhere past 5-6 overall.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-06-2012, 03:45 PM
From Molinaro.

Hope this good news for Canadian soccer.

he'll prob end up playing for costa rica :rolleyes:

Roogsy
02-06-2012, 03:49 PM
I have them in the same range. I think 48 is a reasonable total to expect, 15 point difference from last year. Based on last year's results, that should have us challenging for the east, at least in a good chunk of the season. But given the west's strength we'll be somwhere past 5-6 overall.

Sounds good. My only question is how you arrived at a 15 point improvement? With the intention of honestly wanting to know how much of the positive vibe around here is hype and how much of it is based on real facts, I think this might be a good place to help us reach a consensus. Reaching 48 points means we will be scoring 1.41 ppg, a rate TFC has never achieved for an entire season. It would be a massive improvement even over the rate at which they were winning at the end of the season with the bulk of the roster with which we are beginning this season. What off-season moves would contribute to this improvement?

Oldtimer
02-06-2012, 04:04 PM
Sounds good. My only question is how you arrived at a 15 point improvement? With the intention of honestly wanting to know how much of the positive vibe around here is hype and how much of it is based on real facts, I think this might be a good place to help us reach a consensus. Reaching 48 points means we will be scoring 1.41 ppg, a rate TFC has never achieved for an entire season. It would be a massive improvement even over the rate at which they were winning at the end of the season with the bulk of the roster with which we are beginning this season. What off-season moves would contribute to this improvement?

One statistic that one can look for is that TFC tied 15 games last season, and lost 3 by 1 goal. If you exclude the 0-0 draws, then TFC had 11 ties where they gave up at least one goal.

It seems to me that Cann being back, plus some potentially good additions will reverse the league-worst record for giving up goals.

It wouldn't take much improvement in the backline to bring TFC's points average to respectable levels, turning some of those ties into wins, and some of those losses into ties.

That's why I think a playoff spot is attainable.

Oldtimer
02-06-2012, 04:16 PM
IF

TFC makes it to the semi-final of the CCL, the matches will be at BMO.

http://blogs.canoe.ca/reds/

Also touches on CONCACAF roster rules.

So now we have official confirmation that TFC can issue a completely new 30-man roster, but Avila and Hall are cap-tied.

Canary10
02-06-2012, 04:29 PM
quote=Roogsy; "Sounds good. My only question is how you arrived at a 15 point improvement?"

I’ll give you part of an answer to that but I’ll have to think the whole thing out a bit more.

It’s partly a guy feeling. Partly based on the fact that I said at the point where Frings and Koef came last year that I wanted to see a 35 point total by the end of the season to feel like the team had progressed and they ended up with 33. 50 is my equivalent target this year but I figured they’d miss it by the same as last year. So 48. (This is rigorous modelling here).

And partly based on PPG last year since Frings and Koef (post-F/K for short). If we only stayed on the same PPG as what we had in MLS last year post-F/K we’d be at 39 next year. I don’t see it being that low just based on the fact that we have an entire preseason to get these guys playing the fluid football we were starting to see toward the end of last year. I think even the same group of guys from the end of last year with a preseason would top 39.

If we played at the same PPG from last year post-F/K including CCL games we’d be at 50. I actually think we can hit that in MLS too. Both of these PPG include the initial run of games post-F/K where we lost but were still sorting things out. We’d have an even higher average without these. Again with a full preseason I think we’ll be in a better position to hit the ground running.

I’d have to think more on the players, but a quick answer is I think Lambe (if he’s as advertised) will be huge for us. Having wingers on both sides who can unlock defences will make a big difference. Teams didn’t know how to handle Plata at all – if Lambe bring the same thin on the right side I think a lot of teams will be off balance playing against us, which should help our defence and the possession game a lot. And if Aceval is the se piece guy everyone is saying he is, that will be a big difference too. We were horrible on both sides of the ball on set pieces last year.

Whoop
02-06-2012, 04:32 PM
So now we have official confirmation that TFC can issue a completely new 30-man roster, but Avila and Hall are cap-tied.

Yes, that's my understanding as well.

Roogsy
02-06-2012, 04:41 PM
quote=Roogsy; "Sounds good. My only question is how you arrived at a 15 point improvement?"

I’ll give you part of an answer to that but I’ll have to think the whole thing out a bit more.

It’s partly a guy feeling. Partly based on the fact that I said at the point where Frings and Koef came last year that I wanted to see a 35 point total by the end of the season to feel like the team had progressed and they ended up with 33. 50 is my equivalent target this year but I figured they’d miss it by the same as last year. So 48. (This is rigorous modelling here).

And partly based on PPG last year since Frings and Koef (post-F/K for short). If we only stayed on the same PPG as what we had in MLS last year post-F/K we’d be at 39 next year. I don’t see it being that low just based on the fact that we have an entire preseason to get these guys playing the fluid football we were starting to see toward the end of last year. I think even the same group of guys from the end of last year with a preseason would top 39.

If we played at the same PPG from last year post-F/K including CCL games we’d be at 50. I actually think we can hit that in MLS too. Both of these PPG include the initial run of games post-F/K where we lost but were still sorting things out. We’d have an even higher average without these. Again with a full preseason I think we’ll be in a better position to hit the ground running.

I’d have to think more on the players, but a quick answer is I think Lambe (if he’s as advertised) will be huge for us. Having wingers on both sides who can unlock defences will make a big difference. Teams didn’t know how to handle Plata at all – if Lambe bring the same thin on the right side I think a lot of teams will be off balance playing against us, which should help our defence and the possession game a lot. And if Aceval is the se piece guy everyone is saying he is, that will be a big difference too. We were horrible on both sides of the ball on set pieces last year.

Nice.

Well...you've got me feeling a little better about this year....almost. :D

If you've raised my hopes up and they shit the bed again, I am coming after YOU! :lol:

Canary10
02-06-2012, 04:49 PM
^ Shit.

Kaz
02-06-2012, 06:16 PM
Canary you have to factor in goals scored due to lack of CB skill and depth. Which with luck will not be an issue this year. If you cut the goals scored against us by 10-15, you can take any 10 goals scored against us last season, and we are up 5-15 points.

We had 15 ties last season it's not unrealistic to say that 5 of those could have been wins if not for our issues at CB. And that is 10 points right there, not a play berth but it's close. And that is with all the growing pains last year... but with just Cann, and Williams being healthy all season.

With strength in the CB slots, and more consistent jelled attacking, we should see some decent results this year.

Torontotonto
02-06-2012, 06:45 PM
Been excited every season for it to start with the hope of this is going to be it, were going to be better.
But this year I'm really expecting big things.
It's the earliest we have had a solid squad, or at least more than a dozen players at this stage.

Success in VI

:drum::flare::scarf::flare::drum:

TFCRegina
02-06-2012, 07:55 PM
Season VI? VEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE