PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Monday,Jan.30

denime
01-30-2012, 06:41 AM
Mornin`

TFC TV (http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp)

Toronto Takes 41 To Preseason (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2012/01/toronto-takes-41-preseason)

U.S. women teach Canada a soccer lesson (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/us-women-teach-canada-a-soccer-lesson/article2319065/)

TFC related blogs ! (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=29582)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshine-girl)

_

Oldtimer
01-30-2012, 08:33 AM
I like the Dissney schedule:
1. start with a USL Pro team (D3)
2. Then play a team from Sweden
3. Only then play an MLS side.

It ramps up quite nicely.

I'm sure that a number of those 41 players will just be rounding out the squad for pre-season. You never know though, among the "unlikely" candidates might be a gem or two in the rough.

Realistically though, most of the academy players will return to the academy and most of the supplemental picks will not be picked up permanently.

LesH
01-30-2012, 08:46 AM
mornin' guys!

Go TFC!

Have a good week everyone!

:scarf: :canada:

Red CB Toronto
01-30-2012, 08:57 AM
I like the Dissney schedule:
1. start with a USL Pro team (D3)
2. Then play a team from Sweden
3. Only then play an MLS side.

It ramps up quite nicely.

I'm sure that a number of those 41 players will just be rounding out the squad for pre-season. You never know though, among the "unlikely" candidates might be a gem or two in the rough.

Realistically though, most of the academy players will return to the academy and most of the supplemental picks will not be picked up permanently.

I agree, the Reds only really have 7 spots to fill and I am sure Silva and Maund will fill two of those. That leaves five open, if the guy from Chili comes that leaves 4 spots up for grabs for the Academy kids and supplemental picks to shoot for. I am also pretty sure we will see some trialists at some point too.

Joe Kool
01-30-2012, 09:18 AM
I agree, the Reds only really have 7 spots to fill and I am sure Silva and Maund will fill two of those. That leaves five open, if the guy from Chili comes that leaves 4 spots up for grabs for the Academy kids and supplemental picks to shoot for. I am also pretty sure we will see some trialists at some point too.

I am interested to see if Bouchiba stays around. He must have talent for them to still be hanging onto a spot for him but I don't think we have ever had a guy on the roster as long as him that has never played (regular season) for us. If he finally plays and doesn't fit the bill then it will remain a mystery to me I guess why they kept him on. Hopefully it works out better than that though.

Whoop
01-30-2012, 09:27 AM
Larson with more MLS tidbits.

http://blogs.canoe.ca/reds/

scooter
01-30-2012, 09:32 AM
mornin d

ladies got a lesson last night but it was a good one its very obvious how we have to change our game to beat the usa once and for all --- so to the practice ground they must go

Juanito
01-30-2012, 09:42 AM
These exhibition matches are super-important for CCL. Are they going to stream these matches?

Whoop
01-30-2012, 09:47 AM
Dichio talks MLS in the Guardian.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2012/jan/30/major-league-soccer-future

Red I
01-30-2012, 09:57 AM
Dichio talks MLS in the Guardian.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2012/jan/30/major-league-soccer-future

If journalists say MLS can compete with EPL teams ... :picard:

Detroit_TFC
01-30-2012, 10:03 AM
It's a blog entry, not by Guardian's journos.

Canary10
01-30-2012, 10:07 AM
Dichio's right. The football journalism in Canada is appalling.

Red I
01-30-2012, 10:16 AM
Dichio's right. The football journalism in Canada is appalling.

That's what kills me. As much as I think the league will just continue to grow in popularity, the journalists (not all, mind you) covering the sport don't do the teams any favours. The poor quality of questions at the Media Day press conference really highlighted that fact.

brad
01-30-2012, 10:30 AM
For some of the academy products - taking them along for pre-season is probably about education/experience as opposed to seeing if they are ready to play this season. That's a very common thing to do in Europe with pre-season. Of one of them steps up and shows they are ready that's an added bonus.

ArmenJBX
01-30-2012, 10:40 AM
Football journalism in this city is comprised of those not able to break into the world of Leafs journalism.

John Molinaro and the new Rogers Sportsnet is, at the very least, breaking ground by introducing bloggers like Steve Bottjer (RNO), Dave Rowaan (Waking the Red), and Martin MacMahon in Vancouver. These guys know soccer here.

Believe me, times are changing - as the sport grows in Canada, the journalists will be weeded out based on quality, at least, that's what I'm banking on.

reggie
01-30-2012, 10:45 AM
i think you can add larsen/ wheeler to that group,they are not bad.
by the way where is our beloved team training,i have not seen one clip or picture yet.fffing brutal.

Whoop
01-30-2012, 10:46 AM
That's why I say Kurt Larson, despite his staunch Americanism LOL, is the best mainstream media guy. At least he played the game at a high level.

And while he is pro-American, he is a big supporter of MLS.

Molinaro, while good, focuses more on the world game, which is fine because that's his mandate.

Canary10
01-30-2012, 10:49 AM
Part of the problem is that everything is written for a really general audience that doesn't know a whole lot about the game (tactically, etc). Reporting basically amounts to who scored and how big the attendance was. We need some reporting that assumes people know something about actually playing the game.

boban
01-30-2012, 10:50 AM
mornin d

ladies got a lesson last night but it was a good one its very obvious how we have to change our game to beat the usa once and for all --- so to the practice ground they must go
You honestly think it's only gonna take practice to fix our issues?
When Kara retired we lost an offensive threat and no amount of practice is going to replace that or fix it.
When we took off Sinclair at half in the second round robin game it was painfully obvious that we need a second goal scorer, which we don't have. You don't coach that. You either have it or you don't.
We can scratch and claw our way to a medal, but in no way presently do we have the personal to take gold (beat USA).

reggie
01-30-2012, 10:50 AM
it could be worse..we could have JODY VANCE interviewing here...OMG

Whoop
01-30-2012, 10:53 AM
Part of the problem is that everything is written for a really general audience that doesn't know a whole lot about the game (tactically, etc). Reporting basically amounts to who scored and how big the attendance was. We need some reporting that assumes people know something about actually playing the game.

If you look at any sports story - even those revolving around the Leafs/Jays/Raptors - that's usually the gist of it too. The score and some highlights of the match.

What you're talking about is separate, for example, a columnist portion.

Most of those sports get extra columns in the paper so you get the score/attendance piece plus whatever else. TFC just gets the score/attendance piece, though the Sun with Larson and occasionally Wheeler, you'll get more. The Star doesn't usually have a column specifically on soccer like the Sun.

But even with the big 3 sports if you want more analysis you have to get it from outside of the paper.

JuliquE
01-30-2012, 11:08 AM
I am interested to see if Bouchiba stays around. He must have talent for them to still be hanging onto a spot for him but I don't think we have ever had a guy on the roster as long as him that has never played (regular season) for us. If he finally plays and doesn't fit the bill then it will remain a mystery to me I guess why they kept him on. Hopefully it works out better than that though.
Critics of the team would have the pitchforks out for management, should he not be given a fair run-out.. especially after bringing him over, from thousands of miles away. Not to mention that we would only further sully our player treatment reputation.

I think that the timing of his injury worked in his favour, allowing it to be off our cap (if I'm not mistaken).

Doesn't hurt to give him a look, whilst, I believe, he still remains on the long-term injury list (for now). He will have something to prove; we have everything to gain, at this point.

Roogsy
01-30-2012, 12:08 PM
You honestly think it's only gonna take practice to fix our issues?
When Kara retired we lost an offensive threat and no amount of practice is going to replace that or fix it.
When we took off Sinclair at half in the second round robin game it was painfully obvious that we need a second goal scorer, which we don't have. You don't coach that. You either have it or you don't.
We can scratch and claw our way to a medal, but in no way presently do we have the personal to take gold (beat USA).

Totally agree.

I realize people value hard work a lot. But skill outperformance hard work most of the time and we have to accept that and learn from it. You have to burn much more energy working harder to beat someone with more skill.

I'll take someone who has skill anda ability over the hardest worker in any industry or job any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

The girls played their guts out. But the Americans were bigger, faster and more technical. In every area, except Sincy, they were better and yet I would suggest Canada worked harder and still got torched.

We must increase the skill level in this country or we will never compete at the highest levels.

Roogsy
01-30-2012, 12:08 PM
So the league owners cancelled the WPS season huh?

Wow...talk about bad timing.

Roogsy
01-30-2012, 12:15 PM
Not offical yet, but that's the word:

http://www.nationalsoccerwire.com/news/460/15684

:rolleyes: SMH

DOMIN8R
01-30-2012, 12:21 PM
Aceval Arrives In Toronto (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2012/01/aceval-arrives-toronto)

pekduck
01-30-2012, 12:48 PM
Winter and Co. delivered :)

JonO
01-30-2012, 12:50 PM
We must increase the skill level in this country or we will never compete at the highest levels.
Agree, but it will always be hard to compete with the likes the US, just based on the size of the talent pool alone...

wzhxvy
01-30-2012, 12:58 PM
I saw the comments up there on skill vs. will or skill vs. hard work and cannot help but add my two cents. I am not sure what industries people are referring to here, but in my experience the reality is very different, hard work, work ethic and determination actually differentiate people who excel...skill is a part of the equation and is the cost of entry so to speak, but it certainly does not ovecome hard work and determination...it rarely ever does.

Oldtimer
01-30-2012, 01:00 PM
Aceval Arrives In Toronto (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2012/01/aceval-arrives-toronto)

Looks like Harden is going to have to learn Spanish. :D

Good to see our backline solidified.

Red Rat
01-30-2012, 01:01 PM
Mario will be proud
TFC is sounding like a legit organization

Detroit_TFC
01-30-2012, 01:03 PM
Not offical yet, but that's the word:

http://www.nationalsoccerwire.com/news/460/15684

:rolleyes: SMH

The formal reason: WPS board decided to suspend the league rather than readmit Borislow and his team. Court had already rules the league failed to execute a proper separation with Borislow and was likely to further rule against the league soon, probably awarding a large judgment to Borislow.

Honestly, they probably could have got through the Borislow thing but there were some rumors that USWNT team players were not going to participate in WPS and stay in a residency camp through Olympics. I'm wondering if that may be at the root of this, along with Borislow thing too. When all the other problems are thrown in, loss of teams, loss of national sponsor, attendance below projections (at least pre-WWC), just too much.

Some suggesting that semi-pro model would be more realistic. Probably so but with more robust leagues now going in Europe, all the big talent will go there.

League statement: http://www.womensprosoccer.com/news/press_releases/120130-wps-suspends-2012season

Red Rat
01-30-2012, 01:08 PM
attendance was an issue at the end of the season last year, but they never new how to market the league. This league had so much talent and the game was very good

Ageroo
01-30-2012, 01:12 PM

Good luck with the backline understanding Ecks......:D

pekduck
01-30-2012, 01:18 PM
Good luck with the backline understanding Ecks......:D

LOL...

Oldtimer
01-30-2012, 01:22 PM
^^LOL!

Good to see depth in every position (something TFC never had under Mo). In fact, good to see a full squad in place by January!

Roogsy
01-30-2012, 01:28 PM
Agree, but it will always be hard to compete with the likes the US, just based on the size of the talent pool alone...

That is a disadvantage sure, but not an insurmountable. We could say the same thing about hockey and yet...

Numbers play a part, but they're not the whole story. Otherwise, China would dominate at everything.

Red Rat
01-30-2012, 01:30 PM

maybe we should start writing in spanish from now on, time to change that language amendment

pekduck
01-30-2012, 01:37 PM
That is a disadvantage sure, but not an insurmountable. We could say the same thing about hockey and yet...

Numbers play a part, but they're not the whole story. Otherwise, China would dominate at everything.

They are, just in the wrong things most of the time :D

Darlofletch
01-30-2012, 02:08 PM

I'm hoping he'll have to learn bench sitting.

JonO
01-30-2012, 02:25 PM

Numbers, priorities and cash.

I don't know the stats, but I would guess there is not a lot of competition for women's soccer in the US. For male US athletes, there's a lot more opportunity in NFL, MLB, NBA and even NHL than soccer. I don't think that's the case for top women US athletes. So a higher % of top female athletes in the US are participating in soccer than male athletes. Just my theory ;)

Whoop
01-30-2012, 02:49 PM
But how do you explain a country like Sweden (pop. 9 million) or Denmark (pop. 5 million)?

Sweden is competitive in men's and women's football, plus men's and women's hockey and are pretty successful at the Winter Olympics and relatively successful in the Summer Olympics.

Same with Denmark, though naturally not as competitive in the Olympics. But their men's team is competitive, their women's team is ranked 14th right now and their men's hockey team is usually in the top IIHF division.

I think ultimately it comes down how much physical activity is pushed in our country. There is no reason why the men's team shouldn't be automatic qualifiers in the hex in CONCACAF every time. At worst Canada should be #3 in the men's regardless of competition with hockey, basketball, baseball, etc.

Same with the women. They should be automatic quarterfinalists at every world event they enter.

JonO
01-30-2012, 03:01 PM
I dunno, but it would be interesting to see how much money (per capita) the Scandinavian countries put into sports (given there significantly higher taxes). That may come into play...

Whoop
01-30-2012, 03:16 PM
Likely, but perhaps putting more money into sport/physical puts less strain on the health care system.

(I wonder if anyone has ever done a study based on that.)

Fort York Redcoat
01-30-2012, 03:22 PM
But how do you explain a country like Sweden (pop. 9 million) or Denmark (pop. 5 million)?

Sweden is competitive in men's and women's football, plus men's and women's hockey and are pretty successful at the Winter Olympics and relatively successful in the Summer Olympics.

Same with Denmark, though naturally not as competitive in the Olympics. But their men's team is competitive, their women's team is ranked 14th right now and their men's hockey team is usually in the top IIHF division.

I think ultimately it comes down how much physical activity is pushed in our country. There is no reason why the men's team shouldn't be automatic qualifiers in the hex in CONCACAF every time. At worst Canada should be #3 in the men's regardless of competition with hockey, basketball, baseball, etc.

Same with the women. They should be automatic quarterfinalists at every world event they enter.

I've also looked at our Northern brothers and sisters in Scandanavia with a smattering of envy but I think just as much as participaction, I think less diversity in professional sports focus has a lot to do with it.

For instance, I doubt Finland, Sweden, Norway and Denmark will lose their collective shit about the Superbowl coming up. Canada has the big 4 sports to compete with. One of those being Hockey bien sur.

DangerRed
01-30-2012, 03:24 PM
I'm hoping he'll have to learn bench sitting.

LOL. Gets my Troll Stamp of Approval.

http://27.media.tumblr.com/avatar_6feb8634e3d0_128.png

Whoop
01-30-2012, 03:32 PM
I've also looked at our Northern brothers and sisters in Scandanavia with a smattering of envy but I think just as much as participaction, I think less diversity in professional sports focus has a lot to do with it.

For instance, I doubt Finland, Sweden, Norway and Denmark will lose their collective shit about the Superbowl coming up. Canada has the big 4 sports to compete with. One of those being Hockey bien sur.

But on the women's side it's hockey and then?

That's why with Sweden I included their Olympic record in both Summer and Winter Olympics and for a small country they've done reasonably well.

And sure while people might care about the Super Bowl, it's not like there are a tonne of Canadian kids playing American football either.

denime
01-30-2012, 03:36 PM
Likely, but perhaps putting more money into sport/physical puts less strain on the health care system.

(I wonder if anyone has ever done a study based on that.)

European Governments spending a lots of $$$ on physical education in schools and amateur sports.

End result is obvious in obesity,diabetes and all other health problems that are directly connected with lack of activity and junk food consumption compering to NA.

brad
01-30-2012, 04:16 PM
On the whole poplulation vs success thing, in the past I've found it interesting to look at a listing of global populations like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_population

and think about the relative success/failure in football. Lot's of small countries in that list that are far better internationally than we are.

Another problem we have is that most kids don't have the game in their blood from a young age. You go to a lot of other countries and you will see kids out in the street with a football every walking minute. You see kids running down the main street with a ball at their feet. Here, half the kids are more interested in going home and playing FIFA against their friends online instead of playing in the park.

Yohan
01-30-2012, 04:21 PM
http://www.walrusmagazine.com/articles/2012.03-sports-seeing-red/

Excellent article about Canadian MNT in the Walrus magazine

boban
01-30-2012, 05:11 PM
European Governments spending a lots of $$$ on physical education in schools and amateur sports.

End result is obvious in obesity,diabetes and all other health problems that are directly connected with lack of activity and junk food consumption compering to NA.
While agree they spend more money on things you state above, the European diet is waaayy different than here in NA, also Europe is just designed differently than here.

Batman
01-30-2012, 05:28 PM
really sorry to see the cancelation of WSL season.

Just yesterday I did some digging and found that Sinclair was confirmed again for Rochester this year. My wife an I decided we'd head down for a game.

Ugh.

ensco
01-30-2012, 07:16 PM
The smaller countries like Sweden and Denmark (Czech Republic, Netherlands, Uruguay and Australia are also examples) all have one reason they punch far beyond their weight in world sports.

They care about the mainstream, high participation sports (soccer, swimming, basketball) and put their money where their mouth is.

Sydney has 45 olympic size swimming pools. Toronto has 2.

We put our money into stupid invented sports that only about 100 people participate in, so that we can "own the podium".

CoachGT
01-30-2012, 09:17 PM
Interesting article about Canadian soccer

http://www.walrusmagazine.com:80/articles/2012.03-sports-seeing-red/

denime
01-30-2012, 09:23 PM
http://www.walrusmagazine.com/articles/2012.03-sports-seeing-red/

Excellent article about Canadian MNT in the Walrus magazine

Interesting article about Canadian soccer

http://www.walrusmagazine.com:80/articles/2012.03-sports-seeing-red/

http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=30626__;)

CoachGT
01-30-2012, 10:20 PM
Sorry, didn't see it when I posted. Hard to surf on a phone!