PDA

View Full Version : Best formation and players to fill it

Doucet3
01-27-2012, 09:16 PM
Just wondering what everyone sees as our current "best line up" minus the new guys cause we haven't seem them pro form yet

Frei

Eks. Cann. Williams. Hall

Frings. DeGuz

Avila

Johnson Plata
Koevs

Is that our best rough team off the bat?, kinda what a general consensus before we see the new guys and at the mid point to see how much of an impact they've made on us

ArmenJBX
01-27-2012, 09:20 PM
Our best possible formation at this point at time is:

-----------------Stefan Frei-------------------
-Eckersley---Caicedo-----Cann------Aceval-
-------------JDG---------Frings---------------
------------------Avila------------------------
-Johnson-----Koevermans-----Joao Plata--

TFCwestcan
01-27-2012, 09:24 PM

I agree with this formation, it sounds like it will be touch and go with Cann for the March 7 fixture. I also think it is OK to speculate on the new arrivals in formations. Gosh it is such a change from the past season's shit shows. The Preki year wins hands down for the most ridiculous pre-season.

Doucet3
01-27-2012, 09:32 PM
I thought Cann contract expired,or was he just wanting more money?

iy12l
01-27-2012, 10:28 PM
morgan will be starting player and aceval will be sued as LCB so it will be like this
----------frei/kocic-----------
ecks - caicedo - aceval- morgan
-------------firngs------------
----------avila - jdg-----------
-----Lambe - Koevs - plata-----
soolsma and johnson can easily get in the stating 11 too though

Oldtimer
01-27-2012, 10:40 PM
I thought Cann contract expired,or was he just wanting more money?
Cann is on a club option year, I believe. I think that he's young and was influenced by a more senior player who wanted more money, but is no longer with the club. It appears that he and Winter have agreed to put the past behind them.

Oldtimer
01-27-2012, 10:45 PM
morgan will be starting player and aceval will be sued as LCB so it will be like this
----------frei/kocic-----------
ecks - caicedo - aceval- morgan
-------------firngs------------
----------avila - jdg-----------
-----Lambe - Koevs - plata-----
soolsma and johnson can easily get in the stating 11 too though The team is starting to look solid. Too bad for the players cap-tied for the CCL. We'll probably see third-choices like Harden having to fill in, because of that.

ManUtd4ever
01-27-2012, 11:01 PM
--------------Frei---------------

Eckersley-Caicedo-Aceval-Morgan

-------JDG---------Frings--------

-------------Avila---------------

Johnson--------------------Plata

----------Koevermans-----------

Bench: Dunfield, Lambe, Soolsma, Silva, Harden, Stinson, Kocic

brad
01-27-2012, 11:18 PM
Cann is on a club option year, I believe. I think that he's young and was influenced by a more senior player who wanted more money, but is no longer with the club. It appears that he and Winter have agreed to put the past behind them.

Cann is 31.

brad
01-27-2012, 11:19 PM
--------------Frei---------------

Eckersley-Caicedo-Aceval-Morgan

-------JDG---------Frings--------

-------------Avila---------------

Johnson--------------------Plata

----------Koevermans-----------

Bench: Dunfield, Lambe, Soolsma, Silva, Harden, Stinson, Kocic

I suspect this is what we will see. I would not be suprised to see Harden in at CB though, Winter does seem to rate him.

TFCwestcan
01-28-2012, 01:23 AM
I suspect this is what we will see. I would not be suprised to see Harden in at CB though, Winter does seem to rate him.

I think Winter rates him ... as bench strength. I think last year's experience taught a valuable lesson, have back-ups.

prizby
01-28-2012, 01:46 AM
Just wondering what everyone sees as our current "best line up" minus the new guys cause we haven't seem them pro form yet

Frei

Eks. Cann. Williams. Hall

Frings. DeGuz

Avila

Johnson Plata
Koevs

Is that our best rough team off the bat?, kinda what a general consensus before we see the new guys and at the mid point to see how much of an impact they've made on us

why did you add hall..we haven't seen him yet

mowe
01-28-2012, 03:08 AM
----------------------Frei----------------------
..............................Kocic............... ...............

Eckersley-----Caicedo----Aceval------Morgan
Hall..................Harden........Cann.......... ..????

-----------JDG-----------------Frings----------
.............Stinson.....................Dunfield. ...........

Soolsma------------Avila---------------Plata
????........................Silva................. ....Lambe

-----------------Koevermans------------------
...........................Johnson................ ............

The biggest question mark is with Aceval. I'm guessing he's going to play CB but he might be called on to called on to sub in for (or start over) Morgan at LB. In any case, Aceval, Cann, and Morgan look to cover the two left sided positions on the back line. I'd be happier if there was another body in the mix.

Backup at Soolsma's spot is a non-issue as I only listed players at their preferred position. Lambe has said he prefers the left side but can play both wings and Johnson can play four positions.

That's my opinion of this year's roster and primary depth. Crazy that we can talk about it before February. There's enough talent on this team that with some good coaching the playoffs are achievable.

Hugh Jazz
01-28-2012, 09:19 AM
Since this year could potentially be our longest season, I think squad rotation will be integral to our success. I know last year Winter often used the same line-up for back to back games but I hope that was mainly due to a lack of depth.

The back line and the DMs can stay more consistent but I'd like to see a lot of rotation on the wings and AM. Johnson/Soolsma are much more physical than Lambe/Plata who are faster so I hope our attack options are made somewhat based on our opponents.

Canary10
01-28-2012, 11:49 AM
I think we forget the fact that TFC plays way more games than most teams in MLS. People were criticizing some flat league performances down the stretch last year, but some of that is due to the number of games (and the lack of depth we had last year). Teams like DC United, New England, Chicago, Chivas don't have those same worries. We're definitely better positioned for the long season now than we were last year.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
01-28-2012, 12:07 PM

i look at that side there and think.....what a season it is to be..:)

I'd swap caicedo and Cann......to make the ballance even stronger

[NBF]
01-30-2012, 08:30 AM
---------------------Kocic----------------------
-----------------------------------------------
Eckersley----Caicedo----Aceval?-----Morgan
Hall-----------Henry-------Harden--------------
--------------Williams------Cann---------------
-----------JDG----------------Frings----------
----------Stinson---------------Avila-----------
---------Dunfield--------------Cordon---------
Lambe-------------Johnson--------------Plata
Soolsma--------------Silva---------------------
Makubuya-----------Bouchiba------------------
-------------------Koevermans---------------

I dont remember where I saw an article that said TFC was looking to use Johnson in a more central role, but you gotta admit this lineup looks solid with the exception that we could use another two players on the left wing and left back positions.

I think we all know that Johnson is the back up Striker for Koevermans, but I wouldnt mind seeing another striker come in that could fill in as a left winger.

Oldtimer
01-30-2012, 08:47 AM
^ If Vukovic can step it up and move from the Academy to the first team, he might be the answer up front. He was the lead scorer in the CSL last year with 18 goals.

__wowza
01-30-2012, 09:01 AM
im making the prediction that it's gonna be kocic in net for the run of the season, plus he's shown his CCL worth about ten times over. i get a weird feeling that we might part with frei sometime this season, but having two solid GKs will do wonders for us travel wise.

Canary10
01-30-2012, 09:40 AM
;1437267']----------------------Frei----------------------

I dont remember where I saw an article that said TFC was looking to use Johnson in a more central role, but you gotta admit this lineup looks solid with the exception that we could use another two players on the left wing and left back positions.

I think we all know that Johnson is the back up Striker for Koevermans, but I wouldnt mind seeing another striker come in that could fill in as a left winger.

I think Johnson will play in the number 10 for the rest of the CCL if Avila is cap-tied. He was very good there in the Dallas game. But he said during the media day that his natural position is really on the left wing. Probably will play there most of the time, switching with Plata (who's still only 19 and not likely to start every game).

prizby
01-30-2012, 10:11 AM
;1437267']----------------------Frei----------------------

pretty sure avila is an attacking mid and bouchiba is definetely a holding mid

Oldtimer
01-30-2012, 01:02 PM
We can now take the question mark off of Aceval.

That backline is looking good. Need someone to back up Morgan (Aceval can do that and then Cann slot in as CB).

Oldtimer
01-30-2012, 01:05 PM
Eckersley----Caicedo----Aceval------Morgan
Hall-----------Henry--------Cann-------Aceval*-
--------------Williams-----Harden--------------
Soolsma--------------Silva-------------Johnson*
----------------------Vukovic------------------

* second choice position

This is looking pretty good, and gives at least one backup for every position.

trane
01-30-2012, 01:23 PM
-------------Buffon---------------
Abate--Thiago Silva-Chiellini------Santon
--------------Nocerino-----------
-----KPBoetang---------------Ribery---
----------------Rossi---------------
-----------Ibra---------Balotelli-------

Hold on. DId you mean TFC?

TFC/Everton
01-30-2012, 01:38 PM
Hall-----------Henry--------Cann-------Aceval*-
--------------Williams-----Harden--------------

* second choice position

This is looking pretty good, and gives at least one backup for every position.

:iagree:

19Barrett19
01-30-2012, 01:55 PM
I think the depth is fuckin fantastic!

Hall-----------Henry--------Cann-------Aceval*
Stinson---------Williams-----Harden--------Hall*
----------Stinson------------Bouchiba-----------
Lambe----------------Avila--------------Plata
Makubuya-----------Bouchiba-----------Lambe*
Johnaon*-------------------------------Silva*
----------------------Johnson------------------

ag futbol
01-30-2012, 01:57 PM
Looks like there's only a few questions left:
- Is Cann a starter or a sub? I think we can all agree he's an asset to the team, but is he preferably a starter or a sub? Maybe it depends on how much Winter wants the LB to get up and down the field in a given game, since Aceval looks less mobile than Morgan.
- Who is going to be the first choice AM? We've got a few options, although nobody looks outstanding at this point.
- Is Lambe starter quality? That will make a huge difference in determining the effectiveness of our attack.

Liking the look of the midfield, it is going to be an absolute dogfight for playing time this year.

19Barrett19
01-30-2012, 02:00 PM
Too many games this year and international call ups so players will get their chances to prove themselves in a number of positions... Winter is a genius, we will add at the ummer window too if winter and PM think we need one more piece! Looking good so far

__wowza
01-30-2012, 02:00 PM
in addition to that, are we really rating lambe higher than soolsma after not having seen him play a single game with TFC?

19Barrett19
01-30-2012, 02:08 PM
in addition to that, are we really rating lambe higher than soolsma after not having seen him play a single game with TFC?

haven't seen him play but i trust Mariner. I think his speed is going to be his best asset on the pitch. maybe he and soolsma can split the time. bring in lambe to run out the LB on the opposinh team then pop in soolsma he always seems to create some space and put a good cross in or run at goal. I also think we will see hall in the LW for some minutes too. Hope it all works out. It is looking better then last years option with martina and mirosevic now its lambe soolsoma johnson hall and Kieth Makabuya.

Oldtimer
01-30-2012, 02:42 PM
Winter is a genius

I think (just like I did last year) that it's too early to judge the Winter/Mariner/BDK team. We should know by mid-year if they have assembled the right pieces. Right now it's hopeful, but unproven.

The strongest point of this team is that so many players can play multiple positions. It's not quite "total football," but it does align quite well with the Dutch footballing value of flexibility. TFC has never had that before. Under Mo, the most flexible player was Chris Pozniak, and he had nowhere near the quality of most of these players.

Canary10
01-30-2012, 03:20 PM
^ I think the first five games will tell us a lot. I agree it's two early to make judgements on players we've never really seen. And the extent to which Winter has them playing that fluid football they showed in flashes last year will be a big part. Having a full and proper preseason will help a lot.

mowe
01-30-2012, 03:40 PM
One thing's for sure, when we beat LA the optimism surrounding this team will go through the roof.

Canary10
01-30-2012, 03:45 PM
^ Fuck ya!

Ossington Mental Youth
01-30-2012, 04:27 PM
dont think Johnson will be playing as a number 10, hes great at runs and shots but hardly a play maker

ag futbol
01-30-2012, 08:14 PM
dont think Johnson will be playing as a number 10, hes great at runs and shots but hardly a play maker
Yeah, maybe it's just a height thing, but I always have a hard time picturing the big guys playing that spot. It always throws me off when I watch Fellaini play and I keep saying "WTF is the target man doing playing that far back?". Must have short guy syndrome...

So from the sounds of the video Aceval is going to be the LCB. I think Cann's days as a starter are realistically numbered. He over achieved in Preki's air-tight defensive system but doesn't look as up to the task in the 4-3-3. It's encouraging that Morgan is being given the starting nod, although I still think he's a little raw to be a number one option.

CSO_BBTB
01-31-2012, 08:34 AM
^ If Vukovic can step it up and move from the Academy to the first team, he might be the answer up front. He was the lead scorer in the CSL last year with 18 goals.

Think that's a lot to ask from a young player given the huge difference in quality between the two leagues. Something that will hopefully happen eventually but not something that can be relied upon right now for the upcoming season. Think Johnson is the obvious back up option to Koevermans and an adjustment would then be made on either wing if he is starting regularly there.

Couchy81
01-31-2012, 09:05 AM
I think Cann's days as a starter are realistically numbered. He over achieved in Preki's air-tight defensive system but doesn't look as up to the task in the 4-3-3. .

Cann is skilled at stopping the attackers, his fatal flaw is he can't control the ball or pass if his life depended on it.

prizby
01-31-2012, 09:55 AM

except for that goal he set up against NYRB

PopePouri
01-31-2012, 09:57 AM
except for that goal he set up against NYRB

or the one against Dallas.

Oldtimer
01-31-2012, 10:24 AM
Think that's a lot to ask from a young player given the huge difference in quality between the two leagues. Something that will hopefully happen eventually but not something that can be relied upon right now for the upcoming season. Think Johnson is the obvious back up option to Koevermans and an adjustment would then be made on either wing if he is starting regularly there.

Of course, just like Morgan he'd be eased in.

brad
01-31-2012, 10:29 AM
^ I think the first five games will tell us a lot. I agree it's two early to make judgements on players we've never really seen. And the extent to which Winter has them playing that fluid football they showed in flashes last year will be a big part. Having a full and proper preseason will help a lot.

It may take longer than 5 games. It's not uncommon for South American players to take a while to adapt to the MLS.

Aceval is coming back of an injury as well.

Oldtimer
01-31-2012, 10:59 AM
Football supporters tend to rush too quickly to judgement. It's natural - we feel so much passion for the game. However, we need to steady ourselves and take a longer-term view.

For example, in Sir Alex's first year at Manchester United, many United supporters were calling on him to be fired. Imagine what United would have missed out on had they done so!

You really have to give it enough time before you either call your coach an idiot or anoint him a genius. Most coaches are in-between the two extremes, and how good your coach tends to be will show up in time. It was premature to call on Winter to be fired after the first half season last year, and it's premature to call him a genius yet.

Of course, for TFC to be a success on the pitch, he doesn't have to be a genius, he just has to be smarter than your run-of-the-mill MLS coach, which is a much lower bar!

nickio
02-01-2012, 12:07 AM
I think Cann is a good defender, but something about him just doesn't fit this system. I remember his play clearly before he got injured last season, and his 'on the ball' game was below his teammates. And that was among the likes of Peterson and even Gargan!

Now, it'll be even more visible among the skilled ballhandlers. I don't think it's too long before TFC parts with him.

But I really do like him as a player and his commitment, no question.

T-boy
02-01-2012, 09:25 AM
I think Cann is a good defender, but something about him just doesn't fit this system. I remember his play clearly before he got injured last season, and his 'on the ball' game was below his teammates. And that was among the likes of Peterson and even Gargan!

Now, it'll be even more visible among the skilled ballhandlers. I don't think it's too long before TFC parts with him.

But I really do like him as a player and his commitment, no question.

The one "problem" with Aron Winter's system is that we are always going to find it difficult to find central defenders who have the technical ability to play it, especially with the limitation of the MLS. I'm fairly sure that Iro, in a less technical system, is a fine "stopper". The same with Cann - he's a BIG guy, so asking him to play technical feet skill football just isn't going to happen. That's nothing against Cann though, I think we are going to see this often in Winter's system. I'm not going to judge any 6ft 3 inch central defender for not having technical skills - they are few and far between in football, and even MORE SO in the MLS!

Canary10
02-01-2012, 09:52 AM
When I said the first five games, I'm not judging any one player but where the team as a whole is at. We have three home games and two away. Seattle away. San Jose home, Columbus home, Montreal away and Chivas home. I think we can get 10 points from those five games. If we do, I think we have a real shot of winning the east, especially given how poor it looks at this point.

If we don't hit the ground running, I think it'll be a slog to be in a playoff position.

trane
02-01-2012, 10:03 AM
I think the technical ability needed to play as CB, in the system is exagerated. The CB needs to be good positionaly, he needs to be aware, he needs to make simple good passess, and some mobility is good. He may need to step at times and play abit like a CDM, come a bit forward make a pass further down the field, but he does not need to be a number 10 playing back there. What he needs to do is not kick the ball 30 yards down the field, but make a good pass to one of our players in a good position to start the counter attack.

T-boy
02-01-2012, 10:08 AM
I think the technical ability needed to play as CB, in the system is exagerated. The CB needs to be good positionaly, he needs to be aware, he needs to make simple good passess, and some mobility is good. He may need to step at times and play abit like a CDM, come a bit forward make a pass further down the field, but he does not need to be a number 10 playing back there. What he needs to do is not kick the ball 30 yards down the field, but make a good pass to one of our players in a good position to start the counter attack.

Yes agreed, but the passing ability, even a short pass, has to be better in Winter's system than most other football systems. Winter doesn't want just "any pass", he wants a triangular pass to the full back or the two DM, like in a diamond shape. I can see why Winter wants this, and "when" it all comes together it will make an attractive style of football to watch. But the centre backs still need to be able to get the ball under control quickly and find that 10 to 15 yard pass. Most centre backs pass the ball in the direction they are facing (mostly), but Winter is looking for very specific passing ability. That's why the centre backs need a higher than average technical skill in this system.

Canary10
02-01-2012, 10:14 AM

Can't say I agree with this. In any possession based game, possession starts with the goalkeeper and the central defenders. The CBs need to be comfortable on the ball being the last one back, sometimes under pressure, and resist the temptation to just thump balls forward, which is a big cause of loss of possession. It's not that easy. Part of the reason why Frings was back as often as he was last year was that we had no one at the back with the ease on the ball.

trane
02-01-2012, 10:38 AM
^ That is what I am saying they need to do, but these should not be such rare qualities in the CB, although they seem to be in the MLS.

Canary10
02-01-2012, 10:42 AM
^ Yeah, they tend to get snapped up by European teams quickly. ie. Tim Ream. MLS seems to prefer the crash and bang kind of central defenders.

T-boy
02-01-2012, 10:57 AM
^ Yeah, they tend to get snapped up by European teams quickly. ie. Tim Ream. MLS seems to prefer the crash and bang kind of central defenders.

That's what I'm saying. The centre backs that possess the technical skills that TFC require are rare "in the MLS" - mainly due to the limitation of the league itself (the salary cap, for one). And for sure, the BEST centre backs in the league seem to leave quickly for the lure of "better soccer" and more money in Europe. So, the centre backs that are left in the MLS are the 'stopper' kind, that are good at defending, but not great at anything else. That's why Winter will always struggle to find the centre backs that he is looking for.

There are MLS centre backs aplenty with tackling skills and heading skills, but very few with quick feet and passing ability!

Maybe the two new south american's are what we are looking for tho, you never know! :)

Canary10
02-01-2012, 11:17 AM
^ Sorry, I thought you guys were saying the need for centre backs with skill on the ball was exaggerated.

I hope they're the right guys! Not to make assumptions about big guys, but being that big AND if they really do have the technical skills they'll be important additions. At the very least they look like they'll definitely improve our set pieces on both sides of the ball.

ochos
02-01-2012, 11:20 AM
Frei
Ecks - Caceido - Cann - Aceval
Frings - JDG
Plata - Avila - Johnson
Koevermans

Oldtimer
02-01-2012, 11:38 AM
^ Winter has said that Morgan will fill out the left. So replace Cann with Aceval, Cann comes off the bench.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-01-2012, 05:16 PM
^ Winter has said that Morgan will fill out the left. So replace Cann with Aceval, Cann comes off the bench.

agreed

brad
02-01-2012, 05:30 PM
^ That is what I am saying they need to do, but these should not be such rare qualities in the CB, although they seem to be in the MLS.

Maybe this are just rare qualities to expect from a CB getting paid $50k-$80.

To be fair to Cann though, at the start of the season when he was playing the team not holding shape all that well and his options were limited.

If JDG's form from the second half of the season carries over, and Frings is back in the midfield that should give the CB's better options to pass out to.

MartinUtd
02-01-2012, 06:07 PM
Frei
Ecks - Caceido - Cann - Aceval
Frings - JDG
Plata - Avila - Johnson
Koevermans

This with the aforementioned insertion of Morgan. Maybe Reggie Lamb will crack the starting XI as well, who knows. It's certainly nice to have 4 fully capable wingers especially since Johnson may end up going up top when Koevs needs a break.

Chevy
02-01-2012, 06:40 PM
Have we ever, EVER had:

1) A starting 11 where every position has a legitimate, established starter?

2) Depth (at least two, in some cases three deep) at every position?

Forgetting it's only preseason, I don't think at any point in the last six years we have been in this situation. I think things are looking up.

Ajax TFC
02-01-2012, 07:15 PM

they shouldn't be, but there's a reason that they are. IMO that's because in N.A. defenders are discouraged from developing their on the ball skills and told to boot it up every chance they get. It's not that these players were never skilled, it's just that they've never developed that skill and after many years passing becomes a foreign thing. Of course the reason behind all of this is that youth teams are more concerned about winning than they are about player development. In a few years though we should be getting skilled defenders through the academy

MarkoftheDrink
02-02-2012, 11:23 PM
Frei/Kocic
Ecks-Caceido-Aceval-Morgan
Frings-JDG
Plata-Silva-Lambe
Koef

I like the mix of young and old that we could see. That's assuming Lambe and Silva are as awesome as we all hope they are, otherwise slot in Johnson and Avila.

MarkoftheDrink
02-02-2012, 11:40 PM
Just for comparison's sake, last year's starting line up from the opener in VC.

Frei
Gargan-Nana-Harden-Cann
Sturgis-De Ro-Peterson
Soolsma-Santos-Martina

Welp, all I can say is kudos to Winter, BDK and Mariner. Here's to hard work bearing fruit!
:drinking:

Stryker
02-03-2012, 12:22 AM
Last season we saw the 3-4-3 a handful of games. With a back line of Ecks, Caceido and Aceval and an abundance of mids I can see Winter using it even more frequently.

Dub Narcotic
02-03-2012, 01:28 AM
BTW, Luke Wileman was on VWFC Daily yesterday and said he thought that Vancouver had the better team this year, for what it is worth.

JavierMartini
02-03-2012, 08:07 AM
BTW, Luke Wileman was on VWFC Daily yesterday and said he thought that Vancouver had the better team this year, for what it is worth.

Good, so he can eat his words when we crush them. :flare:

Oldtimer
02-03-2012, 08:14 AM
Just for comparison's sake, last year's starting line up from the opener in VC.

Except for the loss of DeRo, and Frei being the likely starter, every position has been upgraded. In addition to that, there is now solid depth in all positions.